inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pixar Eras

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/31/16 at 6:03 pm

We all know how Disney has eras. What about Pixar? My opinion is
1995-2004 Platinum Age: Toy Story 1 & 2, A Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles
2005-2007 Silver Age: Cars, Ratatouille.
2008-2010 Golden Age: Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3
2011-2019 Sequel/Prequel Nation: Cars 2, Monsters University, Finding Dory, Cars 3, Incredibles 2.
What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Pixar Eras

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 6:22 pm

It's pretty accurate. I do agree with what you said. I mean, with the Platinum, Silver, and Golden ages.

Written By: Ripley on 07/31/16 at 6:27 pm

The early years were great! I saw Toy Story in theaters!

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/31/16 at 6:28 pm

It's pretty accurate. I do agree with what you said. I mean, with the Platinum, Silver, and Golden ages.
I really don't think any Pixar movies are bad. Yes, I think Cars 2 was actually decent......but by that I mean a 55/100.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/31/16 at 6:28 pm

The early years were great! I saw Toy Story in theaters!
Nice!

Written By: 2001 on 07/31/16 at 6:30 pm

Was Cars good? Because that silver age could be a dark age.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 6:49 pm

I really don't think any Pixar movies are bad. Yes, I think Cars 2 was actually decent......but by that I mean a 55/100.

Eh. Pixar was sort of okay during the early 2010s. I don't know about the mid 2010s, despite liking Inside Out.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/31/16 at 6:53 pm

Honestly, I liked Cars.........about a 79/100. I see it's flaws and how it didn't follow up well to Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc, etc.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 6:55 pm

Honestly, I liked Cars.........about a 79/100. I see it's flaws and how it didn't follow up well to Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc, etc.

Cars wasn't really one of my Top 5 favorite Pixar movies. It was okay, but it wasn't top tier material to me.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/31/16 at 7:18 pm

Cars wasn't really one of my Top 5 favorite Pixar movies. It was okay, but it wasn't top tier material to me.
It isn't my top 5 either. Agreed it wasn't top tier material.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/31/16 at 7:19 pm

1995-2010 - Pixar Golden Age: The studio does absolutely no wrong for 16 straight years. Though A Bug's Life and Cars were far from their strongest works, every single film Pixar released during the 90s and 2000s was a solid success, with most being considered some of the best animated movies of all time. This era comes to a fitting end with Toy Story 3.

2011-2014 - Post-Golden Age Recession: Pixar's RT fresh streak is finally broken with the shameless cash grab Cars 2, and while Brave and Monsters University were both a lot better, popular consensus still considers them easily among the weaker of Pixar's feature films. Speaking of cash grabs, there was also the two Planes movies, not developed by Pixar (instead by DisneyToon, who produced all the infamous direct-to-video Disney animated sequels), but still related to a Pixar franchise and also written by John Lasseter. The Good Dinosaur also faced production difficulties, due to what the studio considered an inadequate script. It was essentially during this time that it seemed Pixar was just starting to fall from grace and soon to be overtaken by Illumination Entertainment and Walt Disney Animation Studios.

2015-present - Silver Age: Inside Out and Finding Dory collectively proved that Pixar can still churn out new movies that are just as great as those from 1995-2010. Fans are thus relieved that the studio doesn't seem to be collapsing anytime soon. However, The Good Dinosaur still turned out to be a relative flop for the studio, not to mention the vast bulk of the studio's upcoming projects are sequels, including a much-feared Toy Story 4.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 7:21 pm

It isn't my top 5 either. Agreed it wasn't top tier material.

If I had to choose what was my Top 5 favorite Pixar movies, it would be...

5. The Incredibles
4. Up
3. Ratatouille
2. Wall-E
1. Finding Nemo

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/16 at 7:31 pm

2011-2014:  Post-Golden Age Recession: Pixar's RT fresh streak is finally broken with the shameless cash grab Cars 2, and while Brave and Monsters University were both a lot better, popular consensus still considers them easily among the weaker of Pixar's feature films. Speaking of cash grabs, there was also the two Planes movies, not developed by Pixar (instead by DisneyToon, who produced all the infamous direct-to-video Disney animated sequels), but still related to a Pixar franchise and also written by John Lasseter. The Good Dinosaur also faced production difficulties, due to what the studio considered an inadequate script. It was essentially during this time that it seemed Pixar was just starting to fall from grace and soon to be overtaken by Illumination Entertainment and Walt Disney Animation Studios.

I really think DisneyToon Studios weren't that bad. Especially during the early-mid 2000s. My favorite direct-to-DVD sequels by them were Lilo and Stitch 2 and Tarzan II.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/16 at 10:49 pm

We all know how Disney has eras. What about Pixar? My opinion is
1995-2004 Platinum Age: Toy Story 1 & 2, A Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles
2005-2007 Silver Age: Cars, Ratatouille.
2008-2010 Golden Age: Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3
2011-2019 Sequel/Prequel Nation: Cars 2, Monsters University, Finding Dory, Cars 3, Incredibles 2.
What do you guys think?

Nope, switch around the golden age and platinum age. The golden age was from 1995-2004, since Toy Story started it all which was an epic classic while movies like Finding Nemo and The Incredibles were huge hits as well. Which is why you've had Toy Story 2 & 3, Finding Dory, and the upcoming Incredibles 2. Up and Wall-E were original but weren't part of the golden age of Pixar. In fact, I'd say that the silver age of Pixar was from 2006-2010 from Cars to Toy Story 3, then from 2011-present it's been the sequel/prequel age.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/31/16 at 10:49 pm

1995-2010 - Pixar Golden Age: The studio does absolutely no wrong for 16 straight years. Though A Bug's Life and Cars were far from their strongest works, every single film Pixar released during the 90s and 2000s was a solid success, with most being considered some of the best animated movies of all time. This era comes to a fitting end with Toy Story 3.

2011-2014 - Post-Golden Age Recession: Pixar's RT fresh streak is finally broken with the shameless cash grab Cars 2, and while Brave and Monsters University were both a lot better, popular consensus still considers them easily among the weaker of Pixar's feature films. Speaking of cash grabs, there was also the two Planes movies, not developed by Pixar (instead by DisneyToon, who produced all the infamous direct-to-video Disney animated sequels), but still related to a Pixar franchise and also written by John Lasseter. The Good Dinosaur also faced production difficulties, due to what the studio considered an inadequate script. It was essentially during this time that it seemed Pixar was just starting to fall from grace and soon to be overtaken by Illumination Entertainment and Walt Disney Animation Studios.

2015-present - Silver Age: Inside Out and Finding Dory collectively proved that Pixar can still churn out new movies that are just as great as those from 1995-2010. Fans are thus relieved that the studio doesn't seem to be collapsing anytime soon. However, The Good Dinosaur still turned out to be a relative flop for the studio, not to mention the vast bulk of the studio's upcoming projects are sequels, including a much-feared Toy Story 4.
Agreed that was very well written.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/16 at 10:51 pm

Cars was decent, I was obsessed with cars and racing games throughout my entire childhood so you know how much I loved that movie. Looking back, it wasn't as good as Finding Nemo, Toy Story, The Incredibles, or even Ratatouille, but overall Cars was still a fun movie watch. Cars was one of the only good movies from 2006 IMO. Cars 2... now that was a bad movie, and from what I heard, Planes was the worst.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/31/16 at 10:52 pm

Woah, didn't see this post before I posted my comments. This is the most accurate description right here! 100% credit to #Infinity!

Written By: #Infinity on 08/01/16 at 10:43 am

One era I forgot:

1986-1994 - Early/Shorts Age: During this time, Pixar was a relatively small studio. During the late 80s, they created four CG-animated mini-movies that were only really shown at film festivals, but were all extremely groundbreaking for the time. Luxo Jr., for example, still looks presentable today, even though it came out only a year after the Money for Nothing music video. The sets from Red's Dream also look amazing, considering that short was released in 1987. The character models weren't always the best, especially the baby from Tin Toy (shudder), but even prior to Toy Story, Pixar was quite cutting edge. You could also extend this era's starting point back to 1984 if you count The Adventures of Andre and Wally B., even though that's not technically a Pixar short, since they were still owned by Lucasfilm and instead called The Graphics Group. During the early-mid-90s, Pixar did not release any more shorts, as they were slowly but surely developing Toy Story at the time.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 08/01/16 at 12:24 pm

You could also extend this era's starting point back to 1984 if you count The Adventures of Andre and Wally B., even though that's not technically a Pixar short, since they were still owned by Lucasfilm and instead called The Graphics Group.
On Pixar's website it counts Andre and Wally B as theirs. http://www.pixar.com/short_films/Theatrical-Shorts/Andr%C3%A9-and-Wally-B.

Check for new replies or respond here...