inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Adult Swim eras...

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/02/16 at 1:35 am

Y'all have made Nick, CN, Disney, Pixar, and Fox TV eras. How bout Adult Swim? Some people say the last good year was 2004 and went downhill rapidly. Some think in the late 00s when they focused more on reruns of Fox shows and less on anime and original programming. Some say it went downhill during this decade when they put some reality shows on the network.

Subject: Re: Adult Swim eras...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 8:07 am

I think Adult Swim became a cultural fad during the mid 2000s, when they were more prevalent around 2004. They consumed more time slots for Cartoon Network, especially when it ended the Fridays block in mid 2007. They're still culturally relevant, but not as big as they were in the mid-late 2000s. Of course, there's Rick and Morty, and Robot Chicken. I could see them as really big phenomenons at the moment., but not that well.

Written By: Ripley on 08/02/16 at 8:45 am

Towards the end of the 2000's it got bad. Too many reruns. The reality stuff just intensified the bad. Robot Chicken hasn't even had a good episode in a really long time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 9:51 am

Towards the end of the 2000's it got bad. Too many reruns. The reality stuff just intensified the bad. Robot Chicken hasn't even had a good episode in a really long time.

So, when was the last good episode from Robot Chicken to you?

Written By: Ripley on 08/02/16 at 10:42 am

A couple years at least. Its gradually been going this way. Sometimes there are good episodes still.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/02/16 at 11:12 am

Definitely its early stages, 2001-2003. Adult Swim used to be such a interesting and exciting block, you could see the decisions it was trying to make. 2004 is most likely its last generally good year.

I wouldn't even acknowledge Adult Swin's existence during the Late 2000s.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/02/16 at 11:36 am

Cartoon Network was a huge part of my childhood from 2001-2006, but when it came to , I honestly was not a fan of a lot of its shows throughout the years. Cartoons that are only suitable for the mature audience can be really good or really atrocious. Cartoons with garbage humor and crappy animation can be a huge turnoff for me. It was the funniest thing ever as a late elementary schooler or middle schooler, but now I've realized a lot of them have aged horribly. To this day, I believe the best thing about has been the anime during Saturday nights. I didn't start watching anime on the channel until the late 2000's, but since the channel launched in 2001, we've had great anime like Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, The Big O, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam 0080, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Death Note, Code Geass, etc. and it goes on and on. Looking forward to anime on every Saturday night was a huge part of my late childhood, and even today you still have a good variety of anime on the revived Toonami block with shows like DBZ Kai, One Punch Man, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, and Hunter X Hunter.

When it comes to 's original programming today, the only shows I like now are Rick & Morty and Mike Tyson Mysteries, the rest are either dried out or terrible. Growing up in the 2000's The Boondocks and Robot Chicken were my favorite shows. I agree with a couple other posters that the late 2000's is when 's regular scheduled programming declined because of the overplayed FOX reruns every single night, and now it seems like the good shows don't come on until it's almost midnight or past. The first 3 hours of it's always the same FOX reruns you can catch on other channels like TBS, Peachtree TV, or FOX itself. What's the point of Cartoon Network shutting down at 8pm ET/PT for this?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 12:18 pm

When it comes to 's original programming today, the only shows I like now are Rick & Morty and Mike Tyson Mysteries, the rest are either dried out or terrible. Growing up in the 2000's The Boondocks and Robot Chicken were my favorite shows. I agree with a couple other posters that the late 2000's is when 's regular scheduled programming declined because of the overplayed FOX reruns every single night, and now it seems like the good shows don't come on until it's almost midnight or past. The first 3 hours of it's always the same FOX reruns you can catch on other channels like TBS, Peachtree TV, or FOX itself. What's the point of Cartoon Network shutting down at 8pm ET/PT for this?

As somebody who did enjoy Adult Swim in the late 2000s, it's kinda repetitive to see Family Guy, King of the Hill, and American Dad reran throughout the first three hours of its broadcast nights. Especially when I preferred watching Nick at Nite every night before I go to bed back then. Watching those reruns of Everybody Hates Chris, George Lopez, and Malcolm In The Middle were totally awesome. But seeing Adult Swim at 8pm seems useless. Somebody should just put Adult Swim at 9pm instead of 8pm, since some kids are still awake at that time.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/02/16 at 12:40 pm

As somebody who did enjoy Adult Swim in the late 2000s, it's kinda repetitive to see Family Guy, King of the Hill, and American Dad reran throughout the first three hours of its broadcast nights. Especially when I preferred watching Nick at Nite every night before I go to bed back then. Watching those reruns of Everybody Hates Chris, George Lopez, and Malcolm In The Middle were totally awesome. But seeing Adult Swim at 8pm seems useless. Somebody should just put Adult Swim at 9pm instead of 8pm, since some kids are still awake at that time.

My days of being a true CN watcher ended 9 years ago, but I miss it when Cartoon Network used to last until 10pm or even 11pm some nights. CCF/Fridays would go throughout the ENTIRE night, and yeah, I agree with Nick@Nite's first few hours being better than . Family Matters reruns were my favorite.

Written By: annimal on 08/02/16 at 1:22 pm

early stages of adult swim

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/02/16 at 1:44 pm

My days of being a true CN watcher ended 9 years ago, but I miss it when Cartoon Network used to last until 10pm or even 11pm some nights. CCF/Fridays would go throughout the ENTIRE night, and yeah, I agree with Nick@Nite's first few hours being better than . Family Matters reruns were my favorite.

Even though I was more into Cartoon Network in the late 2000s, I remember when I watched some Scooby Doo specials on the Fridays block in 2005/6. It was really cool, although I was more into Nickelodeon at the time. Also, I loved Family Matters when it was on Nick at Nite.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/05/16 at 10:16 pm

I say the last great year was 2007. Going from what everyone else said, the shows were generally still good (except a few) and the block itself was still bearable to watch. Despite 2007 being the last good year, I unfortunately still watched the block until sometime last year and it was just awful! The only shows I like on there right now are MTM, R&M, and the anime. Everything else is just terrible.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/16 at 9:12 am

92-04 is killing 92-07! All you 92-07 fans, get in there and vote! ;)

Also, both of them are utterly slaughtering 92-10! 92-10 fans, you guys get in there too!

Honestly, I think the classic era for Cartoon Network should be 1992-2010 in my opinion. Sure, there was the live action shows that aired a few years prior to 2010, but the style of shows that Cartoon Network had at the time where still the same. I don't know why people think that 2004 or 2007 was when Cartoon Network started to die off. 2004 was just when Cartoon Network changed their logo and started the City era, which is one of my favorite eras in my opinion. 2007 was when they had Stuart Snyder as president, and they killed off the Fridays block. Although, the Fried Dynamite block was okay. It wasn't horrendous, but it gave out some decent shows. I know that most people here quit watching CN in the late 2000s, but to me it was still decent.

2010 on the other hand was when they not only changed their logo, but also killed off Chowder and Flapjack, along with taking their live-action shows to the extreme. It was also when they aired Regular Show, Adventure Time, and a bunch of other forgettable shows that only aired for a few years. I can't believe I still watched Cartoon Network even after the Check-It era started. It just pretty much sucks to me in my opinion. Especially when it lead to rebranding Boomerang to something that wasn't even like the channel. It just looked like a secondary Cartoon Network. I know that people said that Cartoon Network wasn't liked itself in the late 2000s, but at least they aired a lot of cartoons. Boomerang on the other hand only aired a few shows that weren't currently airing on Cartoon Network, and that wasn't benefiting their channel a lot. It didn't felt the same for me, even after 6 years when they had the Check It era. For some reason, it just doesn't fit my style.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/06/16 at 12:50 pm

^^^^ No way in hell 2007-2009 Cartoon Network can be considered as "classic". In fact, it will never be classic no matter how much time goes by. Fried Dynamite, TOM 4/death of original Toonami, lack of original programming only having Chowder & Flapjack, CN Real, etc. I don't think so.

As much variety CN has lacked throughout this current CHECK it era. At least a lot of its original shows are huge improvements from the previous couple of eras. Shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, or Regular Show appeal to everybody. Uncle Grandpa is like the Cow & Chicken of this age of CN. Amazing World of Gumball, We Bare Bears, or Clarence may be kiddy, but creative for kids today. When Young Justice was on, it was like your modern Teen Titans or Justice League. I will admit, these last couple years of the CHECK it era have been disappointing scheduling wise because of the endless plays of TTGO or Gumball, and shows like Regular Show or Steven Universe are barely played. But nonetheless I still give the CHECK it era credit for reviving Cartoon Network and bringing back Toonami on . The originals shows of today will be considered as classics years later except for TTGO or PPG reboots.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/16 at 12:59 pm

^^^^ No way in hell 2007-2009 Cartoon Network can be considered as "classic". In fact, it will never be classic no matter how much time goes by. Fried Dynamite, TOM 4/death of original Toonami, lack of original programming only having Chowder & Flapjack, CN Real, etc. I don't think so.

As much variety CN has lacked throughout this current CHECK it era. At least a lot of its original shows are huge improvements from the previous couple of eras. Shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, or Regular Show appeal to everybody. Uncle Grandpa is like the Cow & Chicken of this age of CN. Amazing World of Gumball, We Bare Bears, or Clarence may be kiddy, but creative for kids today. When Young Justice was on, it was like your modern Teen Titans or Justice League. I will admit, these last couple years of the CHECK it era have been disappointing scheduling wise because of the endless plays of TTGO or Gumball, and shows like Regular Show or Steven Universe are barely played. But nonetheless I still give the CHECK it era credit for reviving Cartoon Network and bringing back Toonami on . The originals shows of today will be considered as classics years later except for TTGO or PPG reboots.

But Chowder and Flapjack could still be considered as classics by some people.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/06/16 at 2:04 pm

But Chowder and Flapjack could still be considered as classics by some people.

The question of the poll was about the state of Cartoon Network as a WHOLE. Just having two shows (which aren't even a decade old yet) weren't enough to save the channel from the rest of its mediocre programming and mistakes. Back in the Powerhouse (1997-2004) and original City (2004-early 2006) eras there was a balance of at least 5-7 original shows and anime/action shows on Toonami block. The network also had cartoony entertaining blocks and marathons on special occasions that kept you tuned into the channel. Most importantly, the network didn't abandon itself by going against the name CARTOON network by having cartoons only on the channel, unlike what happened in the late 2000's. I understand why you might feel this way, because you didn't get into CN as early as I did, but the facts about CN's history over the years don't change.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/06/16 at 2:10 pm

The question of the poll was about the state of Cartoon Network as a WHOLE. Just having two shows (which aren't even a decade old yet) weren't enough to save the channel from the rest of its mediocre programming and mistakes. Back in the Powerhouse (1997-2004) and original City (2004-early 2006) eras there was a balance of at least 5-7 original shows and anime/action shows on Toonami block. The network also had cartoony entertaining blocks and marathons on special occasions that kept you tuned into the channel. Most importantly, the network didn't abandon itself by going against the name CARTOON network by having cartoons only on the channel, unlike what happened in the late 2000's. I understand why you might feel this way, because you didn't get into CN as early as I did, but the facts about CN's history over the years don't change.

I'm assuming NewYorkEagle grew up with Chowder and Flapjack as a kid because he was under 10 during the late 2000s. In that case, I can understand more why he would have grown so attached to both shows as a little kid.

Frankly, I can relate, since there were a lot of cartoons I grew up loving that many other people think were mediocre. I really enjoyed Totally Spies! a bit of Code: Lyoko on Miguzi, and I also really liked CatDog for a short time during second grade, although I had lost interest in the show before I was even over with the school year. My absolute favorite show ever as a kid was Codename: Kids Next Door, which ran for a full six seasons and produced a decent amount of spin-off products, yet never really earned the same level of acclaim as Cartoon Network's Y2K-era shows.

In fact, my username actually originated from my fandom of Codename: Kids Next Door; the "#" was originally "Numbuh" when I registered on Amazon.com back in late 2004, so I was "Numbuh Infinity" throughout the middle of sixth grade (before the show introduced an actual Numbuh Infinity in the last regular episode of the series three years later). I changed the "Numbuh" to a "#" around spring 2005 because I had fully outgrown my childhood by that point and wanted to break away from kid shows as an online soon-to-be teenager. I also thought having a symbol next to my name looked cool, since this was several years before the age of Twitter, although very few people have actually referred to me as "Number Infinity" as originally intended.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/16 at 2:53 pm

Could I just say that I rarely gave a crap whether Cartoon Network had live-action shows or not in the late 2000s? I know that it's mainly CARTOON Network, but it's not like they're forced by law to only show cartoons for the rest of the network's existence. I may sound like Stuart Snyder here, but Cartoon Network wasn't my favorite TV network to grow up with. Sure, I grew up with the City era. But frankly, my era has to go with the Noods. It was creative for its time, and I loved the website when it had that kind of stuff. Hell, I even miss when they had all of those cool features from the pre Check It era.

Even when I was still pretty young in the mid 2000s, I was more into Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, PBS Kids, TLC (whenever they show Ready Set Learn), Discovery Kids, and even Cbeebies. I really miss those so much. Whenever I see Cartoon Network in 2005/2006, it would've been on either Boomerang, Krypto The Superdog, or the Scooby Doo cartoons. I just didn't really get the hang of Cartoon Network so much, even if it was STRICTLY made for cartoons. I don't know how should I even react, when people hate the late 2000s Cartoon Network, just because it simply aired live-action stuff. Same with how I don't get whenever I see lots of adults liking Steven Universe, Regular Show, or even Adventure Time for simply being cartoons.

I may be a mid-late 2000s kid, but it's not like I was a true Cartoon Network fan to start with. The only shows that I truly loved were Billy and Mandy, Krypto The Superdog, Chowder, Flapjack, Foster's, Dexter's Lab (although I only watched it on Boomerang), the original Powerpuff Girls, and Ed Edd n Eddy. It's not like I actually grew up with the Powerhouse era, simply because I was only a toddler at the time. Same with the City era, where I was really more into the other channels I've mentioned. Whenever I think about Cartoon Network in the 2000s, I just think of it as the channel that I would rarely watch, aside from Boomerang.

My point is that I find it very ludicrous for myself to be hating on Cartoon Network during the late 2000s, since it seemed very underrated and it was not like that Cartoon Network simply hated their adult fanbase. I mean, they had Adult Swim, but it's not like they're entirely forcing you to like it. You could just simply not watch it, especially with just changing the channel whenever you see it. Especially when I see Mr. Enter, PIEGUYRULZ (despite him saying he kinda likes the Nood era), and a bunch of other ranters that simply despise the Noods era because it had live-action content. News flash, the Check It era ALSO had live-action shows, so it's not like it was a big improvement over the channel. I simply think I just grew out of Cartoon Network when the Check It era was around. End of rant.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/16 at 3:03 pm

I'm assuming NewYorkEagle grew up with Chowder and Flapjack as a kid because he was under 10 during the late 2000s. In that case, I can understand more why he would have grown so attached to both shows as a little kid.

Actually, I was 10 during 2009, considering I was born in December of 1999. But yeah, I mostly liked Chowder and Flapjack for what it seems to me. Hell, I even think that they were my favorite shows during the Noods era.

Frankly, I can relate, since there were a lot of cartoons I grew up loving that many other people think were mediocre. I really enjoyed Totally Spies! a bit of Code: Lyoko on Miguzi, and I also really liked CatDog for a short time during second grade, although I had lost interest in the show before I was even over with the school year. My absolute favorite show ever as a kid was Codename: Kids Next Door, which ran for a full six seasons and produced a decent amount of spin-off products, yet never really earned the same level of acclaim as Cartoon Network's Y2K-era shows.

I was also into Codename: KND during the mid-late 2000s, although I didn't watch it that much because:

A) They probably aired the show when I was watching the other kid channels that I mentioned.
B) It wasn't really shown that much during the late 2000s, despite ending in 2008.

In fact, my username actually originated from my fandom of Codename: Kids Next Door; the "#" was originally "Numbuh" when I registered on Amazon.com back in late 2004, so I was "Numbuh Infinity" throughout the middle of sixth grade (before the show introduced an actual Numbuh Infinity in the last regular episode of the series three years later). I changed the "Numbuh" to a "#" around spring 2005 because I had fully outgrown my childhood by that point and wanted to break away from kid shows as an online soon-to-be teenager. I also thought having a symbol next to my name looked cool, since this was several years before the age of Twitter, although very few people have actually referred to me as "Number Infinity" as originally intended.

That's cool. I thought you were simply "Hashtag Infinity" because of how I see so many hashtags from everywhere nowadays. It actually sucks that everyone now refers the number sign as the hashtag sign. It also seems cool that you were a die-hard KND fan during the early-mid 2000s, since I would've liked you as an online friend if I was born in 1989-1993.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/06/16 at 6:21 pm

That's cool. I thought you were simply "Hashtag Infinity" because of how I see so many hashtags from everywhere nowadays. It actually sucks that everyone now refers the number sign as the hashtag sign. It also seems cool that you were a die-hard KND fan during the early-mid 2000s, since I would've liked you as an online friend if I was born in 1989-1993.
I thought the same thing when I met her in person, but then she told me that it was a pound sign and not the hashtag.

Could I just say that I rarely gave a crap whether Cartoon Network had live-action shows or not in the late 2000s? I know that it's mainly CARTOON Network, but it's not like they're forced by law to only show cartoons for the rest of the network's existence. I may sound like Stuart Snyder here, but Cartoon Network wasn't my favorite TV network to grow up with. Sure, I grew up with the City era. But frankly, my era has to go with the Noods. It was creative for its time, and I loved the website when it had that kind of stuff. Hell, I even miss when they had all of those cool features from the pre Check It era.

Even when I was still pretty young in the mid 2000s, I was more into Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, PBS Kids, TLC (whenever they show Ready Set Learn), Discovery Kids, and even Cbeebies. I really miss those so much. Whenever I see Cartoon Network in 2005/2006, it would've been on either Boomerang, Krypto The Superdog, or the Scooby Doo cartoons. I just didn't really get the hang of Cartoon Network so much, even if it was STRICTLY made for cartoons. I don't know how should I even react, when people hate the late 2000s Cartoon Network, just because it simply aired live-action stuff. Same with how I don't get whenever I see lots of adults liking Steven Universe, Regular Show, or even Adventure Time for simply being cartoons.

I may be a mid-late 2000s kid, but it's not like I was a true Cartoon Network fan to start with. The only shows that I truly loved were Billy and Mandy, Krypto The Superdog, Chowder, Flapjack, Foster's, Dexter's Lab (although I only watched it on Boomerang), the original Powerpuff Girls, and Ed Edd n Eddy. It's not like I actually grew up with the Powerhouse era, simply because I was only a toddler at the time. Same with the City era, where I was really more into the other channels I've mentioned. Whenever I think about Cartoon Network in the 2000s, I just think of it as the channel that I would rarely watch, aside from Boomerang.

My point is that I find it very ludicrous for myself to be hating on Cartoon Network during the late 2000s, since it seemed very underrated and it was not like that Cartoon Network simply hated their adult fanbase. I mean, they had Adult Swim, but it's not like they're entirely forcing you to like it. You could just simply not watch it, especially with just changing the channel whenever you see it. Especially when I see Mr. Enter, PIEGUYRULZ (despite him saying he kinda likes the Nood era), and a bunch of other ranters that simply despise the Noods era because it had live-action content. News flash, the Check It era ALSO had live-action shows, so it's not like it was a big improvement over the channel. I simply think I just grew out of Cartoon Network when the Check It era was around. End of rant.
There was only one live-action during the late 00s and that was Out of Jimmy's Head which was on for a year, during the Fall CN era. The rest didn't premiere until 2009 and even then it was a only a few.

I agree! While the PH and City eras are my favorite, the Noods is my 3rd one. Like you said, it was very creative, and top of that it had the longest CN schedule span ever (it was on until 11:00pm until KoTH came on on AS in 2009). The characters were able to take form of the Noods and the shows themselves were actually great.

I was the same way. I actually didn't like Totally Spies and I would change the channel just seeing it, but overtime, I watched it and ended up liking it in the end. As for Code Lyoko, I enjoyed the show as well, but I was never able to finish watching it since I lost cable in 2005.

You can count me in with KND, I really loved that show and would tune in to watch it everyday whenever it came on. In fact, I wanted be one of the operators and kick A like they did. It was awesome! :)

As for your username, how often did people call you Number Infinity before the hashtag was made on Twitter?

Written By: #Infinity on 08/06/16 at 7:49 pm

I thought the same thing when I met her in person, but then she told me that it was a pound sign and not the hashtag.

Officially, it is supposed to "Number" and not "Pound," but I didn't mind whichever others used to referred to me.

As for your username, how often did people call you Number Infinity before the hashtag was made on Twitter?

Either they called me "Pound Infinity" or just "Infinity," as most people here do. Only rarely did they say it as "Number Infinity," even if they otherwise wrote it with the #.

Ironically, my username was coined by a celebrity after me for a second time last year, when Mariah Carey was promoting her song "Infinity" on social media, thus posting "#Infinity" all over her Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/16 at 8:09 pm

I agree! While the PH and City eras are my favorite, the Noods is my 3rd one. Like you said, it was very creative, and top of that it had the longest CN schedule span ever (it was on until 11:00pm until KoTH came on on AS in 2009). The characters were able to take form of the Noods and the shows themselves were actually great.
I was the same way. I actually didn't like Totally Spies and I would change the channel just seeing it, but overtime, I watched it and ended up liking it in the end. As for Code Lyoko, I enjoyed the show as well, but I was never able to finish watching it since I lost cable in 2005.

Oh my god, there's finally a person who wasn't born in the late 2000s who genuinely liked the Noods era. Personally, I thought the Noods era was really cool, especially with the programming. And like you said, there was barely any live action shows on the channel, so I don't know why a lot of people would get upset over it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/16 at 8:10 pm

Either they called me "Pound Infinity" or just "Infinity," as most people here do. Only rarely did they say it as "Number Infinity," even if they otherwise wrote it with the #.

Ironically, my username was coined by a celebrity after me for a second time last year, when Mariah Carey was promoting her song "Infinity" on social media, thus posting "#Infinity" all over her Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Yeah, that's probably why I referred you as "Hashtag Infinity" because it sounded like a song that a lot of Millennials would love to post on Twitter.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/06/16 at 8:23 pm

By reading the comments earlier. I agree with Marquis. Classic CN is 1992-2004.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/06/16 at 9:02 pm

I think it's 1997-2004. In 1992-1996, it was mostly just a home for old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the 50s and 60s. You had Space Ghost: Coast to Coast in 1994, the What A Cartoon! Show in 1995, and Dexter's Laboratory in 1996, but July 1997 was really when Cartoon Network entered its Golden Age.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/16 at 7:45 am

I think it's 1997-2004. In 1992-1996, it was mostly just a home for old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the 50s and 60s. You had Space Ghost: Coast to Coast in 1994, the What A Cartoon! Show in 1995, and Dexter's Laboratory in 1996, but July 1997 was really when Cartoon Network entered its Golden Age.

Yeah I completely agree. The one thing I hate is when people say that 1992-1996 (especially pre-1995) was part of the golden age yet bash Cartoon Network's silver age from 2004-2006 which had tons of original shows by then despite being low on some classics. I mean, don't get me wrong, some Hanna-Barbera cartoons are watchable, but a lot of them have aged terribly. Cartoon Network didn't really have an identity until summer 1997 when by then, you had Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, Johnny Bravo, and then early Toonami, at least IMO. Classic Cartoon Network to me is also 1992-2004 (I still think the channel died in late 2007/early 2008 though), but honestly the classic Cartoon Network most people reminisce about is the 1997-2004 years, and the peak of that era was from 1999-mid 2003 anyway. 2004-early 2006 may not have been as good but it was still very fun, watchable and a lot better than watching cheap Hanna-Barbera cartoons all day.

and Numbuh Infinity sounds extremely badass  8) never thought of it that way!

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/16 at 8:57 am

We've always been entitled to our own opinions about what type of pop culture we grew up with whether it's for kids or the mainstream/youth. As for Cartoon Network, my definition of a channel dying is when the channel abandons itself, or turn its back for what it was originally created for and loses a lot of variety. Worst of all, they replace something that was really good with something inferior or horrible, trying to rip-off from other stations instead of being themselves. Cartoon Network was at its best when the channel was about the cartoons themselves and they put a lot of afford into all of their blocks, bumpers, commercials, special events, etc. The Nood Era may have been creative (which I wholeheartedly agree with, probably the last great bumpers CN ever had), but in the end, those were just bumpers. Yes bumpers are important too, but the variety good shows, blocks, and scheduling matters more to me.

My favorite cartoons from the Nood Era were Total Drama Island-World Tour, Ben 10: Alien Force,  and Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008). I have NOTHING against Chowder or Flapjack, of course those shows weren't my favorite so I didn't watch those, but both were fun cartoons to enjoy if you were a young kid at the time. However, by the time these shows aired, I felt like Cartoon Network abandoned itself for what it was originally created for, and what do I mean. Well, replacing Cartoon Theater with Action Flicks, TOM 4 reducing hours and killing the original Toonami, Cartoon Network Fridays being replaced by Fried Dynamite and Dynamite Action Squad (trying to copy off Nick or Disney Channel), cancelling the Top 5 block (barely any advertisement), turning the Re-Animated movie into a TV series called Out of Jimmy's Head, coming up with CN Real after cancelling Toonami.

Then some more problems I had, like back in January 2009, when PPG came back on CN for the first time in a long time, Powerpuff Girls Rule premiered and had the PPG marathon, but the special was aired on a MONDAY while we were in school!!! The hell is that. At least Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show was aired on Sunday, but why did another country have the special first several months before the U.S. and Canada? Don't get it, and I remember this block during the Nood Era called Johnny Johnny, when Johnny Bravo and Johnny Test would come on back to back, but guess when they aired the block? While we were in school! Yeah, so we don't get to see it. So it's like during the first half of the Stuart Snyder era, they kept advertising the live-action programming like it was the 2nd coming of Jesus, but they barely advertise the PPG special or Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture show.

Now, while I don't think the Nood Era was the worst (that would go to the Fall Era), it's still my 2nd least favorite era of CN. Even most of the YES era of CN was more tolerable than the Nood Era, at least there was still a good variety of original shows remaining on the air (Ed, Edd n Eddy, Foster's Home, Grim Adventures, Codename: KND, and Ben 10) Fridays was still around (despite being severely downgraded), The Cartoon Cartoon Show and Top 5 were still airing, and TOM 3 was still on Toonami all throughout the YES era so I'll take that. Oh, and I didn't forget, yes, there were live-action shows during the CHECK it Era too, but barely advertised as much as it was during the Fall & Nood eras. The only live action shows that premiered during the CHECK it Era were Tower Prep, Level Up, and Incredible Crew, and yes there were CN Real shows that started in 2009 which ran through the early CHECK it years, but I feel like the great accomplishments the CHECK it Era has made with its cartoons have overshadowed the bad, and as the CHECK it Era has gone on, there's been less and less live-action shows and since Incredible Crew ended there has been no more. Anyways, I apologize if I'm being too harsh here. We can agree to disagree. There's been many kids cartoons from when I was 11 and up that I enjoy too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 9:01 am

Yeah I completely agree. The one thing I hate is when people say that 1992-1996 (especially pre-1995) was part of the golden age yet bash Cartoon Network's silver age from 2004-2006 which had tons of original shows by then despite being low on some classics. I mean, don't get me wrong, some Hanna-Barbera cartoons are watchable, but a lot of them have aged terribly. Cartoon Network didn't really have an identity until summer 1997 when by then, you had Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, Johnny Bravo, and then early Toonami, at least IMO. Classic Cartoon Network to me is also 1992-2004 (I still think the channel died in late 2007/early 2008 though), but honestly the classic Cartoon Network most people reminisce about is the 1997-2004 years, and the peak of that era was from 1999-mid 2003 anyway. 2004-early 2006 may not have been as good but it was still very fun, watchable and a lot better than watching cheap Hanna-Barbera cartoons all day.

and Numbuh Infinity sounds extremely badass  8) never thought of it that way!
Oh yeah, I'm with both of you. If you want to know, when the channel began there was no original shows at the time. In fact, the first original show didn't premiere until December 1993 which was called The Moxy Show. Like you both said, there wasn't an identity until the PowerHouse era arrived. Prior to the PH time frame, there were only 4 original shows whIle the rest were Hanna-Barbara, and Toonami hadn't exist yet (It was only there for 4 months during the CB era, so it wouldn't truly count). The first original show I mentioned was really the only CB era show as it spanned from Dec. 1993 to Jan. 2000, so it's not even a PH era show at all. Furthermore, unlike all the other shows that premiered on CN, this was the only one not to have reruns after it ended. Crazy right?

So in reality the CB (Checkerboard) era is truly just the prologue of CN while the PH definitely the Golden Age!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 9:27 am

Now, while I don't think the Nood Era was the worst (that would go to the Fall Era), it's still my 2nd least favorite era of CN. Even most of the YES era of CN was more tolerable than the Nood Era, at least there was still a good variety of original shows remaining on the air (Ed, Edd n Eddy, Foster's Home, Grim Adventures, Codename: KND, and Ben 10) Fridays was still around (despite being severely downgraded), The Cartoon Cartoon Show and Top 5 were still airing, and TOM 3 was still on Toonami all throughout the YES era so I'll take that. Oh, and I didn't forget, yes, there were live-action shows during the CHECK it Era too, but barely advertised as much as it was during the Fall & Nood eras. The only live action shows that premiered during the CHECK it Era were Tower Prep, Level Up, and Incredible Crew, and yes there were CN Real shows that started in 2009 which ran through the early CHECK it years, but I feel like the great accomplishments the CHECK it Era has made with its cartoons have overshadowed the bad, and as the CHECK it Era has gone on, there's been less and less live-action shows and since Incredible Crew ended there has been no more. Anyways, I apologize if I'm being too harsh here. We can agree to disagree. There's been many kids cartoons from when I was 11 and up that I enjoy too.

Well, I kinda think the Yes era was okay for its time. I remember liking 2007 as my favorite year for Cartoon Network, because that's when they had a lot of cool stuff for their shows. Especially when they aired Billy and Mandy, Foster's, My Gym Partner's A Monkey, Codename: KND, Ed Edd n Eddy, Class of 3000, and Camp Lazlo WAY more than the Nood era. I actually miss those shows more than Chowder and Flapjack for that reason. Even in 2008 and 2009, when it only had Chowder and Flapjack, it kinda sucked and it was probably why I watched Adult Swim at a young age. Even when I do like the Noods era, it may seem like that I just only cared for only two shows at the time. Which is probably why I don't see Cartoon Network as one of my favorite channels alone as a kid.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 9:39 am

We've always been entitled to our own opinions about what type of pop culture we grew up with whether it's for kids or the mainstream/youth. As for Cartoon Network, my definition of a channel dying is when the channel abandons itself, or turn its back for what it was originally created for and loses a lot of variety. Worst of all, they replace something that was really good with something inferior or horrible, trying to rip-off from other stations instead of being themselves. Cartoon Network was at its best when the channel was about the cartoons themselves and they put a lot of afford into all of their blocks, bumpers, commercials, special events, etc. The Nood Era may have been creative (which I wholeheartedly agree with, probably the last great bumpers CN ever had), but in the end, those were just bumpers. Yes bumpers are important too, but the variety good shows, blocks, and scheduling matters more to me.

My favorite cartoons from the Nood Era were Total Drama Island-World Tour, Ben 10: Alien Force,  and Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008). I have NOTHING against Chowder or Flapjack, of course those shows weren't my favorite so I didn't watch those, but both were fun cartoons to enjoy if you were a young kid at the time. However, by the time these shows aired, I felt like Cartoon Network abandoned itself for what it was originally created for, and what do I mean. Well, replacing Cartoon Theater with Action Flicks, TOM 4 reducing hours and killing the original Toonami, Cartoon Network Fridays being replaced by Fried Dynamite and Dynamite Action Squad (trying to copy off Nick or Disney Channel), cancelling the Top 5 block (barely any advertisement), turning the Re-Animated movie into a TV series called Out of Jimmy's Head, coming up with CN Real after cancelling Toonami.

Then some more problems I had, like back in January 2009, when PPG came back on CN for the first time in a long time, Powerpuff Girls Rule premiered and had the PPG marathon, but the special was aired on a MONDAY while we were in school!!! The hell is that. At least Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show was aired on Sunday, but why did another country have the special first several months before the U.S. and Canada? Don't get it, and I remember this block during the Nood Era called Johnny Johnny, when Johnny Bravo and Johnny Test would come on back to back, but guess when they aired the block? While we were in school! Yeah, so we don't get to see it. So it's like during the first half of the Stuart Snyder era, they kept advertising the live-action programming like it was the 2nd coming of Jesus, but they barely advertise the PPG special or Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture show.

TD:WT premiered during the Check It era, not Noods. That would go to TDI and TDA. As for the PPG special Marathon, how did you and your friends miss it? I had that day off since it was a holiday, so I was able to watch it.

Other than the CN Real block (Which was an awful mistake), the Noods was generally a good era. Absolutely not better than the PH or the City/Yes! eras, but sure better than the Fall era. For one, OoJH had already ended due it being cancelled a few months earlier. It had lots of original shows such as the ones you mentioned, The Secret Saturdays, TDI/TDA, Ben 10: AF, and Batman: BoTB. It definitely had creative bumpers where the cartoon characters were able to take form of the Noods and meet up with each other like they did in the City era. It had a long CN schedule which spanned from 6am to 11pm (it's been getting shorter over the years and has not returned to the longer schedule since then), and the long schedule had a variety of shows and not much repetitiveness like today.

Everything you said about the Top 5 getting cancelled to TOM 4 being the host all took place during the Fall era, so yeah that would definitely be the worst era ever and I'm glad it was on for a year. I unfortunately watched the channel during that time period and it was not the best idea at all. The only reason I did was because the City/Yes era shows were still on and those were the only shows I tuned into besides Johnny Test and Chowder.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/07/16 at 9:58 am

Totally Spies grew on me to. Haha

I didn't realize 1992-2004 as a specific era could look so juicily perfect. Haha

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 10:51 am

Totally Spies grew on me to. Haha
So, I see we all hated the show at first. Yeah, it's took me few months before I began to watch it as a fan ;D :D. How long did it take you to watch finally watch TS, and after that, did you watch it until the end?

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/07/16 at 2:29 pm

So, I see we all hated the show at first. Yeah, it's took me few months before I began to watch it as a fan ;D :D. How long did it take you to watch finally watch TS, and after that, did you watch it until the end?

Actually, I didn't hate it. I was just confused from its Cartoon Network premier since at first it felt out of place. I recall Totally Spies originally airing on ABC.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 2:35 pm

Actually, I didn't hate it. I was just confused from its Cartoon Network premier since at first it felt out of place. I recall Totally Spies originally airing on ABC.
Oh, I heard about that and the fact that first premiered back in 2001! I wonder how well the show was doing before it was moved to CN.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/07/16 at 2:41 pm

Oh, I heard about that and the fact that first premiered back in 2001! I wonder how well the show was doing before it was moved to CN.

It most likely didn't do well. I get the memo that ABC like high quality shows being associated with Disney. I admit that Totally Spies felt a bit mediocre at times.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 2:46 pm

It most likely didn't do well. I get the memo that ABC like high quality shows being associated with Disney. I admit that Totally Spies felt a bit mediocre at times.
You mean the ABC Totally Spies right? Oh yeah, I can see it that way. Wait, wasn't that show on Disney's One SatAm on ABC or was it one of the primetime shows?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 2:46 pm

You mean the ABC Totally Spies right? Oh yeah, I can see it that way. Wait, wasn't that show on Disney's One SatAm on ABC or was it one of the primetime shows?

I'm surprised that I haven't watched Totally Spies, even though it ended in 2014.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 2:54 pm

I'm surprised that I haven't watched Totally Spies, even though it ended in 2014.
Wait, that show ended in 2014? I thought it ended about 10 years ago!!! :o. I haven't seen it since the Miguzi era on CN.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 2:55 pm

Wait, that show ended in 2014? I thought it ended about 10 years ago!!! :o. I haven't seen it since the Miguzi era on CN.

Well, it's just that I wondered if the show ended or not. So, I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said that it ended in 2014.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 3:03 pm

Well, it's just that I wondered if the show ended or not. So, I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said that it ended in 2014.
Damn, that long? I can't believe it was on for 13 years! Did it say what channel it was on after CN?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 3:07 pm

Damn, that long? I can't believe it was on for 13 years! Did it say what channel it was on after CN?

Well, the sixth season only aired in Europe. So, there wasn't any way to watch it in North America.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 3:12 pm

Off-topic, but I noticed there's a guy named ZeldaFan20 on the Personality Cafe. His posting style and username seem similar to Ocarinafan96 (an old user here, and a classic CN fan), and I think even his birth date is the same (March 1996?).

Do you guys know if it's the same guy? Perhaps you could ask him.

It is the same guy. I saw his old comments from 2015 before he retired on Personality Cafe, and he probably had the same opinion as ocarinafan96. Although, I don't see him returning to InThe00s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 3:12 pm

Well, the sixth season only aired in Europe. So, there wasn't any way to watch it in North America.
Ohhhhh. Wait, if the 6th season only aired in Europe, that means they pretty much stretched it out to 2014. I mean, there's no way a season could have lasted that long.

Off-topic, but I noticed there's a guy named ZeldaFan20 on the Personality Cafe. His posting style and username seem similar to Ocarinafan96 (an old user here, and a classic CN fan), and I think even his birth date is the same (March 1996?).

Do you guys know if it's the same guy? Perhaps you could ask him.
Yes, that's him. He said he's not coming back right now, but I know one day he will return.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 3:22 pm

Ohhhhh. Wait, if the 6th season only aired in Europe, that means they pretty much stretched it out to 2014. I mean, there's no way a season could have lasted that long.

Well, I'm not exactly sure. As I said earlier, I wasn't a fan of Totally Spies, since I was too young to watch it back then.

Yes, that's him. He said he's not coming back right now, but I know one day he will return.

I doubt that he'll return from this board.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 3:28 pm

Well, I'm not exactly sure. As I said earlier, I wasn't a fan of Totally Spies, since I was too young to watch it back then.

I doubt that he'll return from this board.
You can still watch it though if you have Netflix or go on YouTube.

Oh, he will. I told him once he's ready to return to this board, we'll all give him a great welcome back. For now, at least we have him on personalitycafé. He deactivated every account online when he left the first time.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/16 at 3:28 pm

Yeah, Totally Spies! started off on ABC Family in 2001, then it moved to CN in 2003!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, Totally Spies! started off on ABC Family in 2001, then it moved to CN in 2003!
Did you watch it?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 3:35 pm

Oh, he will. I told him once he's ready to return to this board, we'll all give him a great welcome back. For now, at least we have him on personalitycafé. He deactivated every account online when he left the first time.

But we're not exactly sure when he's going to return. He may just go on Personality Cafe and talk about random stuff.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 3:46 pm

But we're not exactly sure when he's going to return. He may just go on Personality Cafe and talk about random stuff.
Well he already does. Ever since he returned on there, he's been pretty active.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 3:48 pm

Well he already does. Ever since he returned on there, he's been pretty active.

Well yeah. I meant on Personality Cafe, not here.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/16 at 3:51 pm

Did you watch it?

Hell yeah I did!  ;D  Especially from 2003-2006 on Miguzi block or outside of it.

It was candy cartoony bright colors for me as a kid. Badass chicks you'd have a crush on! The show hasn't aged well IMO so I couldn't watch it anymore but it was fun for its time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 4:11 pm

Well yeah. I meant on Personality Cafe, not here.
Trust me. He will return here. I already spoke with him. If Toon is back, so will ZeldaFan.

Hell yeah I did!  ;D  Especially from 2003-2006 on Miguzi block or outside of it.

It was candy cartoony bright colors for me as a kid. Badass chicks you'd have a crush on! The show hasn't aged well IMO so I couldn't watch it anymore but it was fun for its time.
Oh, I know what you mean. Yeah, their suits were bright and the characters were pretty. Oh, and other than Miguzi, what block did it come on CN back in 2003-04? For some reason, I don't remember seeing it until it was on Miguzi and what hasn't aged well on the show?

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/07/16 at 4:15 pm

Oh, and other than Miguzi, what block did it come on CN back in 2003-04?

SVES

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/16 at 4:40 pm

Trust me. He will return here. I already spoke with him. If Toon is back, so will ZeldaFan.
Oh, I know what you mean. Yeah, their suits were bright and the characters were pretty. Oh, and other than Miguzi, what block did it come on CN back in 2003-04? For some reason, I don't remember seeing it until it was on Miguzi and what hasn't aged well on the show?

Totally Spies was just on by itself before Miguzi block existed. I don't remember what time it came on since it's been sooo long, but it had to be during the weekdays though. Here's a clip from mid/late 2003.

3IHZeBHmEvs

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 4:46 pm

SVES

Totally Spies was just on by itself before Miguzi block existed. I don't remember what time it came on since it's been sooo long, but it had to be during the weekdays though. Here's a clip from mid/late 2003.

3IHZeBHmEvs
I swear I don't remember seeing that block for some reason. I watched CN that whole year and recall the end of CCF, Last Bell, Summer Fridays, the New Fridays block and everything, but not that block all.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/07/16 at 4:48 pm

UltraGameDog, did you vote already on the classic poll? Which years did you choose?

You guys want me to make classic Nick and classic Disney polls as well?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 5:05 pm

UltraGameDog, did you vote already on the classic poll? Which years did you choose?

Not yet, but going with the 2001-07 one.

Yeah, sure. That will be great ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 5:06 pm

I guess so.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 6:09 pm

Here you go.
http://www.strawpoll.me/10939981/
http://www.strawpoll.me/10939927

Also, note that when years like 2004 or 1997 are included, I'm referring to the first half or so of the year when the network was arguably still in the "classic era". The second half of those "transitional" years is almost always part of the modern era.

For Disney Channel, their good ages were 1983-2007. For Nickelodeon, they were good from 1990-2009. 2008 may be their last good year, since that's when Avatar ended, but Nickelodeon died when they changed their logo to me.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 6:13 pm

For Disney Channel, their good ages were 1983-2007. For Nickelodeon, they were good from 1990-2009. 2008 may be their last good year, since that's when Avatar ended, but Nickelodeon died when they changed their logo to me.
I'm having a hard time wondering how come the 1983-96 Disney is considered the good age? That era is good, but it's not the golden age since it was the truly early period.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 6:15 pm

I'm having a hard time wondering how come the 1983-96 Disney is considered the good age? That era is good, but it's not the golden age since it was the truly early period.

It's just something that Zelek put on his poll, even though I don't think that 1983-1996 should be considered as the golden age for Disney Channel.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/07/16 at 6:17 pm

It's just something that Zelek put on his poll, even though I don't think that 1983-1996 should be considered as the golden age for Disney Channel.

I was too young to witness that era, but it's said that back then, they showed a lot of classic Disney shorts, documentaries, TV specials, etc.

After its switch to basic cable, it phased out the classics and changed to more teen-based shows which were only tangentially related to Disney, other than being made by Disney. This turned older viewers off the channel.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 6:17 pm

I was too young to witness that era, but it's said that back then, they showed a lot of classic Disney shorts, documentaries, TV specials, etc.

After its switch to basic cable, it phased out the classics and changed to more teen-based shows which were only tangentially related to Disney, other than being made by Disney. This turned older viewers off the channel.

Didn't it show cartoons for their children audiences at the time when they switched to basic cable?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 6:21 pm

I agree. Besides, that era was completely different from the rest and the network itself was a premium channel just like the first few years of CN.

I can understand that, but honestly that period was more of the early Disney than anything after 1996. That Disney is not is same one everyone else is familiar with and from what Machine said, it was pretty much for older people.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 6:30 pm

I agree. Besides, that era was completely different from the rest and the network itself was a premium channel just like the first few years of CN.

True. It wasn't even as iconic as it was back then.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 6:40 pm

Yes but older peoples' opinions matter too. :P

Most of us on this board are familiar with the late 90s/early mid 2000s era of Nick, and consider that the golden age because it's what we're most familiar with.

However, on other sites, I've seen many people born before 1990 claim the golden age of Nick was the early mid 90s, when they had shows like Adventures of Pete & Pete and Legends of the Hidden Temple. Should we discount their opinions?
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, I'm familiar with people saying that 90s Nick was the golden age. I have seen that comment on any sites

Now for older people, I'm sure you're referring to the Silents, Boomers and Gen Xers since they were the ones to witness DC when it first came out and were able pay for it since it was premium.

You know I just thought of something. If we always say certain eras of kid's network are the Golden Age, it makes you wonder if older folks say that 80s Nick and the CN Checkerboard era were the Golden Age as well?

True. It wasn't even as iconic as it was back then.
Yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep!!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/16 at 6:58 pm

Yes, and the 82-86 Millennials as well.

They were turned off by the changes, from what I've read on forums. They missed the classic Disney cartoons and hated the "teenybopper" shows like Lizzie McGuire, even though they were in the target audience (teens) at the time.

Sh*t like that is usually made towards preteens during late 90s/early-mid 2000s Disney Channel. I even had some friends who were 2000s kids, and they loved Lizzie McGuire.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 7:20 pm

Yes, and the 77/82-86 Millennials as well.

They were turned off by the changes, from what I've read on forums. They missed the classic Disney cartoons and hated the "teenybopper" shows like Lizzie McGuire, even though they were just barely in the target audience (teens) for those sitcoms at the time.
If they're talking about the changes, they must mean to DC stopped having those Disney Afternoon shows, specials, documentaries etc. For some reason, they must have forgotten that most of those teenybopper shows premiered after 2000; that the 1997-00 timeframe was it's own era, and that it also had some of the pre-97 stuff as well.

Not just 90s Nick, but early-mid 90s Nick especially.

I find that early Millennials like 1984-1997 Nick best. Later Millennials prefer 1998-2004/5/6 Nick. It depends on when you grew up.
Yep, it does, what about those in between? I actually caught part of 90s Nick before SpongeBob and Wild Thornberries were even on the channel.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/07/16 at 7:41 pm

I think Bug Juice (1998), The Famous Jett Jackson (1998), So Weird (1999), and The Jersey (1999) can all count as "teenybopper" shows :P (even if they were better than the post-2005 teenybopper shows).
The others I agree, I'm having a hard time with So Weird. That show wasn't truly teenybopper since it was more like the Disney version of AYAOTD. And yes, they were definitely better than the post-05 shows by a mile.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/07/16 at 8:44 pm

Fun fact: Elliot Lurie, the writer of Lizzie McGuire's theme song, also wrote the #1 radio hit "Brandy (You're a fine girl)" in 1972.

Maybe I have cheesy taste in music, but that's one of my favorite songs. :P (don't worry though, I like "heavier" music as well)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/07/16 at 10:28 pm

If they're talking about the changes, they must mean to DC stopped having those Disney Afternoon shows, specials, documentaries etc. For some reason, they must have forgotten that most of those teenybopper shows premiered after 2000; that the 1997-00 timeframe was it's own era, and that it also had some of the pre-97 stuff as well.

Yea. 1997-2000 was Zoog era Part 1, and 2001- mid 2002 was Zoog era part 2. :)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/07/16 at 10:32 pm

Most of us on this board are familiar with the late 90s/early mid 2000s era of Nick, and consider that the golden age because it's what we're most familiar with.

I grew up with this era and LOVED it. But I must admit... it wasn't the golden age. 1991-mid 98 was.  When Real Monsters ended, Lori Beth left All that, CatDog and /thornberries premiered, and Dil debuted on Rugrats that pretty much ended Nick's golden period IMO.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/07/16 at 10:50 pm

Overall I think Adult Swim's golden period was before they became their own network. So I guess 2001-2005...

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/07/16 at 10:54 pm

Hey Eric: are Lizzie and Even Stevens moving to WGN in September 06 yet more evidence of all good things dying in late 2006? ;D

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2006/04/cmt-drops-foxworthy-cuts-dukes-airings.html
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/2006/04/cmt-drops-foxworthy-cuts-dukes-airings.html

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/07/16 at 11:13 pm

Hey Eric: are Lizzie and Even Stevens moving to WGN in September 06 yet more evidence of all good things dying in late 2006? ;D

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2006/04/cmt-drops-foxworthy-cuts-dukes-airings.html
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/2006/04/cmt-drops-foxworthy-cuts-dukes-airings.html

Yeah. It showed that the year was going to be sh*tty.... The late 00s culturally were a sucky time. Only year I liked culturally was 2007.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/07/16 at 11:17 pm

Yeah. It showed that the year was going to be sh*tty.... The late 00s culturally were a sucky time. Only year I liked culturally was 2007.

How could it show the year "was going to be sh*tty" when the change happened near the very-end of the year?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/07/16 at 11:26 pm

How could it show the year "was going to be sh*tty" when the change happened near the very-end of the year?

I think what I should have said was it showed how sh*tty that the year was. ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/07/16 at 11:36 pm

But the first nine months of 2006 were good (in my opinion, of course)

Early 06 was cool, but after that...

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/07/16 at 11:36 pm

What about mid 2006? I loved the summer that year.

Also: have you voted on my classic Nick, CN, Disney, and Adult Swim polls?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/07/16 at 11:49 pm

What about mid 2006? I loved the summer that year.

It was okay..
and the Summer of 2006 was VERY hot that year!! :o >:( Also we lost power in our house for the first time... >:( >:( >:(

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/16 at 11:59 pm

It was okay..
and the Summer of 2006 was VERY hot that year!! :o >:( Also we lost power in our house for the first time... >:( >:( >:(

Best summer of my childhood, but don't even remind me about the hot weather.... Earlier in summer 2006 I was in YMCA camp and being outside all day playing sports and walking around the grass was torture.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/08/16 at 12:34 am

Yea. 1997-2000 was Zoog era Part 1, and 2001- mid 2002 was Zoog era part 2. :)
Yeah man!!! :) and best of all, I was able to witness it! :D

It was okay..

Best summer of my childhood, but don't even remind me about the hot weather.... Earlier in summer 2006 I was in YMCA camp and being outside all day playing sports and walking around the grass was torture.
Oh yeah, I agree! It was even hot here in the West as well.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/08/16 at 12:57 am

Yeah man!!! :) and best of all, I was able to witness it! :D

Playhouse Disney, DCOM, and Disney vault FTW!!!

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/08/16 at 12:57 am

Hey Eric, did you already vote on the classic Nick, CN, Disney, and AS polls I posted?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/08/16 at 12:58 am

Hey Eric, did you already vote on the classic Nick, CN, Disney, and AS polls I posted?

Naw, I haven't voted yet... Can you show me a link to them?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/08/16 at 1:32 am

http://www.strawpoll.me/10924486/
http://www.strawpoll.me/10923990/

Thx!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/08/16 at 1:38 am

Playhouse Disney, DCOM, and Disney vault FTW!!!
Yah yah yah yah yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/08/16 at 1:47 am

http://www.strawpoll.me/10924486/
http://www.strawpoll.me/10923990/

Crap, I made a mistake I meant to put 1983-2005, instead of 1983-2006.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/08/16 at 10:12 am

Why is 1990 the starting point for Nickelodeon's golden age and not 1991? It was in August 1991 that the three original Nicktoons made their premieres, essentially revolutionizing kid cartoons or at least building upon groundwork already laid down by Bartmania.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/08/16 at 10:25 am

Why is 1990 the starting point for Nickelodeon's golden age and not 1991? It was in August 1991 that the three original Nicktoons made their premieres, essentially revolutionizing kid cartoons or at least building upon groundwork already laid down by Bartmania.

Zelek thinks that older Millennials believe that the golden age started in 1990, even though none of the shows you mentioned were around during that year.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/08/16 at 3:00 pm

Nick Studios opened in 1990. That has to count for something.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/08/16 at 3:09 pm

Nick Studios opened in 1990. That has to count for something.

Yeah, but it's not like anything else important happened during 1990.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/08/16 at 3:13 pm

I'll admit, I was making rough guesstimates with that part of the poll.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/08/16 at 3:18 pm

I'll admit, I was making rough guesstimates with that part of the poll.

You should've gone with 1991. I know that you wanted older Millennials to vote on that poll, but they could probably some agree with the younger ones.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/08/16 at 5:12 pm

I find it funny that there are people who voted for 2001-only AS. Either they're joking around, or they truly think AS was only good for four months.

Heck, even 2001-2002 seems too short and unfathomable to me, yet some people chose it. I'd much sooner understand someone choosing 2001-2003 or 2001-2004, considering the block revamped its look around that time and abandoned shows like Home Movies and Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/08/16 at 6:17 pm

You should've gone with 1991. I know that you wanted older Millennials to vote on that poll, but they could probably some agree with the younger ones.

I agree. Zelek should have went with 1991 as the starting point.
and 1997 or 2002 for DC's starting point. Cause there is no way 1983-1996 was golden.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/08/16 at 6:48 pm

I agree. Zelek should have went with 1991 as the starting point.
and 1997 or 2002 for DC's starting point. Cause there is no way 1983-1996 was golden.

1997-2005 should've been known as the golden age. It's pretty much the well-known years for Disney Channel before they were rotten. Although, their silver age is 2006-early 2007.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/08/16 at 8:00 pm

Yeah, but it's not like anything else important happened during 1990.

I'm pretty sure the pilot for Rugrats was originally made in 1990, but otherwise, nada. Even if you seriously considered that, then you'd automatically have to call 1995 the start of Cartoon Network's golden age as well, since so many of that channel's late 90s/Y2K-era series debuted as a pilot on the What a Cartoon! Show in 1995, including Dexter's Laboratory, the Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, and even Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/08/16 at 10:59 pm

Well... what about the first 9 months of 2006, when the old shows like Even Stevens, Lizzie mcguire, and Phil of the Future hadn't yet been removed?

9 good months out of 12, that's the majority. Should 2006 be rounded up to a "classic year" for DC, or do you think the changes in the last 3 months were too sour to forgive. ;)

ES and LM were irrelevant to me at that point. And Phil of the future imo sucked in 2006.
And no 2005 is the last classic year for the network. HSM blew up when it was first released in early 06, and Hannah Montana becoming popular in the second half of 06 automatically make it not a classic DC year for me. Maybe to younger people born in the late 90s, but to someone who became a viewer during the zoog era NOPE! ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/09/16 at 12:45 am

Some people (on other sites) say it indeed is.
Are there people who say the Disney 1983-96 era was the golden age?

1997-2005 should've been known as the golden age. It's pretty much the well-known years for Disney Channel before they were rotten. Although, their silver age is 2006-early 2007.
Uhh, how is the Silver age only a year and a half?

I find it funny that there are people who voted for 2001-only AS. Either they're joking around, or they truly think AS was only good for four months.

Heck, even 2001-2002 seems too short and unfathomable to me, yet some people chose it. I'd much sooner understand someone choosing 2001-2003 or 2001-2004, considering the block revamped its look around that time and abandoned shows like Home Movies and Space Ghost Coast to Coast.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Same here! There's no way that the 1st two options can be seen as the only good ones. That would make no sense.

Oh and while we're at it, how about these famous AS bumpers? It screams this block very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDToHQeouq8

ES and LM were irrelevant to me at that point. And Phil of the future imo sucked in 2006.
And no 2005 is the last classic year for the network. HSM blew up when it was first released in early 06, and Hannah Montana becoming popular in the second half of 06 automatically make it not a classic DC year for me. Maybe to younger people born in the late 90s, but to someone who became a viewer during the zoog era NOPE! ;D
Agreed! 2005 is definitely the last great year for Disney. Hopefully sooner or later, the network makes a comeback with a great revival of good new shows.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/16 at 6:03 am

Uhh, how is the Silver age only a year and a half?

Well, it's not like Disney Channel was that good in mid-late 2007. Plus, that was probably the last time that I watched Disney Channel before 2008.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/09/16 at 8:39 am

Well, it's not like Disney Channel was that good in mid-late 2007. Plus, that was probably the last time that I watched Disney Channel before 2008.
Oh I see now. It was from your viewpoint. I agree it was not that good by then, but I would extend the Silver age a more years.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/09/16 at 8:53 am

Oh I see now. It was from your viewpoint. I agree it was not that good by then, but I would extend the Silver age a more years.

No, NewYorkEagle is right. The silver age of Disney Channel was 2006-early 2007. 2005 was the last full classic year/golden age for Disney Channel, 2006 is definitely NOT a classic Disney Channel year, it was a downgraded year but it was the last year you could find good shows to watch on the channel in general, around 2007 was the first year I could no longer find anything good to watch on Disney Channel, and I keep telling you people, 2006-early 2007 was a transitional period for Disney Channel. While Hannah Montana and High School Musical may have premiered. Like Zelek said, it still had reruns of Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens the first 9 months. That's So Raven was on its last season. (the 4th season sucked, but reruns of previous episodes were still there) Lilo & Stitch was on its last season. American Dragon Jake Long was still going on (yes the animation change in season 2 was a gigantic mistake but the plot remained really good), Phil of the Future was on its last few episodes. Kim Possible got revived in early 2007 and finished its run. (but I didn't watch it anyway) Suite Life of Zack & Cody still had an epic season 2. So 2006-early 2007 was on the cusp between good and bad. Mid 2007 and onwards has been a dark age for Disney Channel, that's when the Miley Cyrus/Selena Gomez era was in full effect, and by mid 2007, all the cartoons had ended, That's So Raven ended, and Kim Possible ended. Including the inferior Cory in the House and Wizards of Waverly Place premiering, and there were barely any cartoons on the channel anymore except for Phineas & Ferb. I didn't care for Suite Life of Zack & Cody anymore by season 3 and I certainly didn't care for Suite Life On Deck either... and things would only get worse when JONAS and Sonny With A Chance premiered a year or two later, thanks to Hannah Montana's success. You could argue that early/mid 2006 was the silver age leaning towards good, but late 2006/early 2007 was the silver age leaning towards bad. Mid 2007-present Disney Channel has been the same endless teenybopper sitcom channel with the same same plots. Any Disney Channel sitcom created from 2005 & earlier was really diverse and different.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/09/16 at 9:09 am

But yeah, Disney Channel's golden age was Fall 2002 through all of 2005. There's many girls near my age who want to extend Disney Channel's golden age to High School Musical's premiere, and I don't blame them since the movie was Disney Channel's biggest hit of all time, but damn the music from that movie was annoying as hell to hear everywhere as a kid  >:(

I only remember bits and pieces of the Zoog Disney era. I only have a few memories of it from mid/late 2001 and mid 2002. Watching Life Size in summer 2001, watching Pepper Ann, Doug, & Proud Family in fall 2001, and watching the first few episodes of Kim Possible in summer 2002. That's it. Most of my memories of Disney Channel were from summer 2003 and onwards. When I was in Kindergarten and 1st grade I only cared about cartoons, and that's why Cartoon Network and Toon Disney were the only stations I'd tune into my first two years of elementary school.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/09/16 at 9:18 am

No, NewYorkEagle is right. The silver age of Disney Channel was 2006-early 2007. 2005 was the last full classic year/golden age for Disney Channel, 2006 is definitely NOT a classic Disney Channel year, it was a downgraded year but it was the last year you could find good shows to watch on the channel in general, around 2007 was the first year I could no longer find anything good to watch on Disney Channel, and I keep telling you people, 2006-early 2007 was a transitional period for Disney Channel. While Hannah Montana and High School Musical may have premiered. Like Zelek said, it still had reruns of Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens the first 9 months. That's So Raven was on its last season. (the 4th season sucked, but reruns of previous episodes were still there) Lilo & Stitch was on its last season. American Dragon Jake Long was still going on (yes the animation change in season 2 was a gigantic mistake but the plot remained really good), Phil of the Future was on its last few episodes. Kim Possible got revived in early 2007 and finished its run. (but I didn't watch it anyway) Suite Life of Zack & Cody still had an epic season 2. So 2006-early 2007 was on the cusp between good and bad. Mid 2007 and onwards has been a dark age for Disney Channel, that's when the Miley Cyrus/Selena Gomez era was in full effect, and by mid 2007, all the cartoons had ended, That's So Raven ended, and Kim Possible ended. Including the inferior Cory in the House and Wizards of Waverly Place premiering, and there were barely any cartoons on the channel anymore except for Phineas & Ferb. I didn't care for Suite Life of Zack & Cody anymore by season 3 and I certainly didn't care for Suite Life On Deck either... and things would only get worse when JONAS and Sonny With A Chance premiered a year or two later, thanks to Hannah Montana's success. You could argue that early/mid 2006 was the silver age leaning towards good, but late 2006/early 2007 was the silver age leaning towards bad. Mid 2007-present Disney Channel has been the same endless teenybopper sitcom channel with the same same plots. Any Disney Channel sitcom created from 2005 & earlier was really diverse and different.
Well this a great thought out post, but I think you misunderstood. I mean it should be 2005-07. In most of 2007, certain shows were still current despite being on their last legs. 2005, honestly had less shows (although they were good) than the previous years. Everything else, I agree with you on. I have tuned back into Disney a few years back to see if it had changed for the better, but I still saw that it was not the case. They really need to change their formula soon or else, they're going to end up like Nick and cease to exist.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/09/16 at 9:36 am

Well this a great thought out post, but I think you misunderstood. I mean it should be 2005-07. In most of 2007, certain shows were still current despite being on their last legs. 2005, honestly had less shows (although they were good) than the previous years. Everything else, I agree with you on. I have tuned back into Disney a few years back to see if it had changed for the better, but I still saw that it was not the case. They really need to change their formula soon or else, they're going to end up like Nick and cease to exist.

2005 wasn't a silver age year, it was a golden age year. Honestly, 2005 Disney Channel felt like 2004, and it didn't have less shows than the previous years. 2006 on the other hand, did have less shows than the previous years. I don't understand how anybody could compare 2005 Disney Channel to 2006 or 2007. Looking back at 2005, Kim Possible So the Drama and the Proud Family Movie came out that year. Disney Channel had the most original cartoons airing at once in the history of their network that year, which includes The Proud Family, Kim Possible, Lilo & Stitch, Dave the Barbarian, Brandy & Mr. Whiskers, American Dragon Jake Long (which premiered) and The Buzz On Maggie (which sucked). Season 3 of That's So Raven was the most viewed season and is considered as the best one by a wide audience. Suite Life of Zack & Cody premiered that year including season 1 which was arguably the best one, and the last Disney Channel original series created that was diverse. Phil of the Future peaked that year. Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, House of Mouse, and Recess reruns were still around. It was the last full year Sister Sister reruns were there too, and that's why the Twitches movie had Tia and Tamera in there due to the success of that  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/16 at 9:36 am

As for somebody who kinda watched Disney Channel in 2006, it didn't seem like a classic year for me. Most of the shows that I know of like Lilo and Stitch: The Series ended around that year. I didn't even care about watching it after 2007. So even as a late 90s baby, I agree with 2002-2005 as the golden age for Disney Channel.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/09/16 at 1:11 pm

2005 wasn't a silver age year, it was a golden age year. Honestly, 2005 Disney Channel felt like 2004, and it didn't have less shows than the previous years. 2006 on the other hand, did have less shows than the previous years. I don't understand how anybody could compare 2005 Disney Channel to 2006 or 2007. Looking back at 2005, Kim Possible So the Drama and the Proud Family Movie came out that year. Disney Channel had the most original cartoons airing at once in the history of their network that year, which includes The Proud Family, Kim Possible, Lilo & Stitch, Dave the Barbarian, Brandy & Mr. Whiskers, American Dragon Jake Long (which premiered) and The Buzz On Maggie (which sucked). Season 3 of That's So Raven was the most viewed season and is considered as the best one by a wide audience. Suite Life of Zack & Cody premiered that year including season 1 which was arguably the best one, and the last Disney Channel original series created that was diverse. Phil of the Future peaked that year. Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, House of Mouse, and Recess reruns were still around. It was the last full year Sister Sister reruns were there too, and that's why the Twitches movie had Tia and Tamera in there due to the success of that  ;D
;D ;D ;D

Well I'm still having a hard time why 2006-07 is the Silver Age. Like you said, it's pretty much a transition. That means, there was no silver age for Disney at all since the Bronze had already arrived by then with HM and HSM.

By this system, here's what the eras would look like:

1983-96: Early DC era

1997-01: Classic Golden era

2002-05: Modern Golden era

2006-07: DC Transition

2008-11: Bronze age

2012- Dark Age

Just curious, what do you see the 1997-01 Disney era as other than being the Zoog time period?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/09/16 at 1:20 pm

When I was in Kindergarten and 1st grade I only cared about cartoons, and that's why Cartoon Network and Toon Disney were the only stations I'd tune into my first two years of elementary school.

What bout Nickelodeon?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/09/16 at 1:24 pm

As for somebody who kinda watched Disney Channel in 2006, it didn't seem like a classic year for me. Most of the shows that I know of like Lilo and Stitch: The Series ended around that year. I didn't even care about watching it after 2007. So even as a late 90s baby, I agree with 2002-2005 as the golden age for Disney Channel.

Yea, and I agree that 2006-mid 2007 was the silver age to a degree. and Late 2007 until early 2010 was the bronze age.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/09/16 at 1:26 pm

I've also created a classic Toonami poll, so be sure to vote on that as well!
http://www.strawpoll.me/10953902

I'd go with either 1999-2004 or 1999-2003. 1997, 1998, and early 99 to a degree were the early days, Before Tom became the host.
When Toonami moved to weekends and their animes became less mature, that ended the golden age.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/16 at 1:32 pm

Yea, and I agree that 2006-mid 2007 was the silver age to a degree. and Late 2007 until early 2010 was the bronze age.

It seems like I could enjoy the golden and silver ages of Disney Channel, although I quit watching it during the Bronze Age, and only watched Toon Disney at the time. Even though it was mostly Jetix airings.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/09/16 at 4:42 pm

What bout Nickelodeon?

I watched Nickelodeon more with my cousins growing up, but not as much as Cartoon Network or Toon Disney. Nickelodeon along with Kids WB were secondary for me. I do remember Nickelodeon back in the early 2000's too, Face era of Nick Jr, all the Nicktoons on the regular Nickelodeon channel, and Snick/early Teen Nick. Hey Arnold was my favorite show at the time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 1:14 pm

So, according to the schedule, will be airing the show Home Movies again on Sept. 15, to celebrate the block's 15th anniversary I'm guessing.

A very polarizing show. From what I've seen, some think it's comedy gold, while others think it's a slow, unfunny pool of vomit. Those who hate it say it will cause AS's ratings to bomb. :P

Adult Swim has already been a bit obscure, despite having Rick and Morty, Robot Chicken, and reruns of King of the Hill, American Dad, and Family Guy keeping the block up.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/24/16 at 6:53 pm

So, according to the schedule, will be airing the show Home Movies again on Sept. 15, to celebrate the block's 15th anniversary I'm guessing.

A very polarizing show. From what I've seen, some think it's comedy gold, while others think it's a slow, unfunny pool of vomit. Those who hate it say it will cause AS's ratings to bomb. :P

All I know is, the show will bring back memories.

Check for new replies or respond here...