inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s kids what math were/are you required to take to graduate

Written By: d90 on 09/09/16 at 4:36 am

Is it true you have to take a calculus class?

Subject: Re: 2000s kids what math were/are you required to take to graduate

Written By: mqg96 on 09/09/16 at 7:46 am

Here in Georgia when I was in high school, it was an integrated math curriculum where all of the math topics were mixed into one math class. So it was called Math 1-4. Math 1 would be the second half of Algebra 1, first half of Geometry, and first half of Statistics mixed together. Math 2 would be the first half of Algebra 2, second half of Geometry, and second half of Statistics mixed together bumped up in difficulty. Math 3 would be the second half of Algebra 2/Advanced Algebra and some more Statistics mixed together. Math 4 was basically the same thing as Precalculus/Trig. It was very hard for a lot of students so they took it away by the time my sister's group got in high school 4 years ago. I took advanced math classes so for me it was Accelerated Math 1-3. My 4th math credit was a choice of AP Stats or AP Calculus. I took both of them but Stats was by far the most difficult for me and Calculus wasn't that bad at all.

Written By: d90 on 09/09/16 at 9:10 am

Here in Georgia when I was in high school, it was an integrated math curriculum where all of the math topics were mixed into one math class. So it was called Math 1-4. Math 1 would be the second half of Algebra 1, first half of Geometry, and first half of Statistics mixed together. Math 2 would be the first half of Algebra 2, second half of Geometry, and second half of Statistics mixed together bumped up in difficulty. Math 3 would be the second half of Algebra 2/Advanced Algebra and some more Statistics mixed together. Math 4 was basically the same thing as Precalculus/Trig. It was very hard for a lot of students so they took it away by the time my sister's group got in high school 4 years ago. I took advanced math classes so for me it was Accelerated Math 1-3. My 4th math credit was a choice of AP Stats or AP Calculus. I took both of them but Stats was by far the most difficult for me and Calculus wasn't that bad at all.

You're very intelligent.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 10:27 am

In my high school; freshman take Algebra, sophomores take Geometry, juniors take Trigonometry, and I think seniors take pre-Calculus or AP Calculus.

Written By: 2001 on 09/09/16 at 10:54 am

By 2000s kids do you mean late 90s/2000s borns? My school only required up to Grade 11 math to graduate. It was basic algebra and graph stuff, in the university stream (there's a college stream that's easier). I graduated in 2010 though, so I'm not sure if you're including me in this "2000s kids" thing  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 09/09/16 at 11:30 am

By 2000s kids do you mean late 90s/2000s borns? My school only required up to Grade 11 math to graduate. It was basic algebra and graph stuff, in the university stream (there's a college stream that's easier). I graduated in 2010 though, so I'm not sure if you're including me in this "2000s kids" thing  ;D

Here in Georgia, U.S. the integrated math curriculum I explained in my previous post was for the classes of 2012-2015, so overall it would have lasted from the 2008-2009 school year when class of 2012 were freshman until the 2014-2015 school year when class of 2015 were seniors. So pretty much the 1993-1997 cohort of 2000's kids who took the Math 1-4 classes. Class of 2011 & earlier had the old Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Precalculus curriculum as separate classes which was much easier than what we had. My sister, or the class of 2016 up to now I have no idea how it is, it's like Coordinate Algebra, Analytic Geometry or something like that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 1:59 pm

Here in Georgia, U.S. the integrated math curriculum I explained in my previous post was for the classes of 2012-2015, so overall it would have lasted from the 2008-2009 school year when class of 2012 were freshman until the 2014-2015 school year when class of 2015 were seniors. So pretty much the 1993-1997 cohort of 2000's kids who took the Math 1-4 classes. Class of 2011 & earlier had the old Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Precalculus curriculum as separate classes which was much easier than what we had. My sister, or the class of 2016 up to now I have no idea how it is, it's like Coordinate Algebra, Analytic Geometry or something like that.

My high school as I mentioned earlier still had the same Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry (or Advanced Algebra), and pre-Calculus curriculum. I'm not sure why, but it probably has to deal with having the students' work not being that hard.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/09/16 at 3:10 pm

Do you mean late grade school or high school?
Anyways late grade school in the late 2000s, I had to take Algebra and Geometry to graduate from my school.

It's awkward since my private school was preschool to 8th grade. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 3:29 pm

I think we meant high school.

Anyways late grade school in the late 2000s, I had to take Algebra and Geometry to graduate from my school.

I'm considering they had harder math classes in Missouri.

;D ;D ;D

Written By: d90 on 09/09/16 at 3:34 pm

I meant high school.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/09/16 at 3:36 pm

I meant high school.

Oh, ok. In HS, I had to take Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, Statistics, and Data Analysis! :o :D

Written By: d90 on 09/09/16 at 3:43 pm

In my high school; freshman take Algebra, sophomores take Geometry, juniors take Trigonometry, and I think seniors take pre-Calculus or AP Calculus.

Your school has very high standards. I bet it will be more tough for those born in the late 2000s and 2010s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 3:47 pm

Your school has very high standards. I bet it will be more tough for those born in the late 2000s and 2010s.

Yeah, they're kinda hard with the Math Department. At that time, 2004 babies would already be seniors when late 2000s babies would be in high school.

Written By: d90 on 09/09/16 at 3:57 pm

Yeah, they're kinda hard with the Math Department. At that time, 2004 babies would already be seniors when late 2000s babies would be in high school.

Are you required to learn computer programming in your school or no?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 4:18 pm

Are you required to learn computer programming in your school or no?

I don't think so. There are some electives where you could learn computer programming though.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/09/16 at 4:28 pm

I was born in 1991, and I live in Texas.

9th grade: Algebra I
10th grade: Geometry
11th grade: Algebra II

I was part of the last graduating class that didn't have to take a math or science class senior year.  ;D

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/09/16 at 5:12 pm

My school district had three different levels of math courses: Standard, Honors, and GT/AP. I took the Honors level courses.

Standard is just like the poster above (Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II), with 12th Grade/Senior year being Precalculus/Trig. Honors students started a year above (Geometry first), with Calculus I being the 12th grade course. Since the pace moves half as fast as it does in college, it wasn't too difficult. GT/AP started with Algebra II and finished with Calculus II/III that was geared toward college credit. This was in the early 2000s for me.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/10/16 at 12:46 am

When I was in school, math class was for sleeping.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/10/16 at 4:17 pm

When I was in school, math class was for sleeping.

Ha, same here. We had the perfect teacher for it during my junior year, too. You see, he was the the coach of the baseball team so he didn't really do very much, you know, actual "teaching". I think most of the students in his class knew more about math than he did, frankly. He would let kids sleep in his class uninterrupted most of the time. I used to put my bookbag up on my desk and use it as a pillow! ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 4:20 pm

Ha, same here. We had the perfect teacher for it during my junior year, too. You see, he was the the coach of the baseball team so he didn't really do very much, you know, actual "teaching". I think most of the students in his class knew more about math than he did, frankly. He would let kids sleep in his class uninterrupted most of the time. I used to put my bookbag up on my desk and use it as a pillow! ;D

Damn. That's like the dream of any lazy student in their high school.

Written By: 2001 on 09/10/16 at 8:52 pm

In my history class in Grade 9, they split our class into two because it was too large. They gave us a substitute teacher who showed up for 2 days. After that, she didn't show up, and we were left all alone. That went on for 6 weeks  ;D We just watched movies, played Counterstrike on LAN and chilled for an hour and twenty minutes everyday. Didn't get busted until another class used our room for a test and we had to go back to our original classroom. It was fun while it lasted.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 9:01 pm

In my history class in Grade 9, they split our class into two because it was too large. They gave us a substitute teacher who showed up for 2 days. After that, she didn't show up, and we were left all alone. That went on for 6 weeks  ;D We just watched movies, played Counterstrike on LAN and chilled for an hour and twenty minutes everyday. Didn't get busted until another class used our room for a test and we had to go back to our original classroom. It was fun while it lasted.

That seemed like the best six weeks in anyone's lives. I don't think that'll ever happen at my school, since they wouldn't have substitutes that would stay for only a couple days and then leave.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/10/16 at 9:08 pm

What you just described is the dream scenario of, like, every high school kid ever, even if it was only for six weeks! :o

At our school we had one substitute teacher in particular that we used to love because she herself would actually go to sleep in class. Yes, you read that right. And not just accidentally either. She would actually lean back in the chair behind her desk and cover herself up with her own coat and start snoring! ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/11/16 at 2:46 am

Lucky you! Every time I'd fall asleep in class the teacher would wake me up, an argument would start and it'd end with either me walking out of the class all pissed off or a meeting in the principal's office with my parents. :P

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/16 at 2:34 pm

What you just described is the dream scenario of, like, every high school kid ever, even if it was only for six weeks! :o

At our school we had one substitute teacher in particular that we used to love because she herself would actually go to sleep in class. Yes, you read that right. And not just accidentally either. She would actually lean back in the chair behind her desk and cover herself up with her own coat and start snoring! ;D

LOL substitute teachers are the best.

That seemed like the best six weeks in anyone's lives. I don't think that'll ever happen at my school, since they wouldn't have substitutes that would stay for only a couple days and then leave.

It was shady as f*ck, I think she probably wasn't a real substitute teacher. The original teacher we had was really absent-minded too, his class is where the infamous Two Girls One Cup PSP incident I talked about in another thread happened LOL

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 2:39 pm

Lucky you! Every time I'd fall asleep in class the teacher would wake me up, an argument would start and it'd end with either me walking out of the class all pissed off or a meeting in the principal's office with my parents. :P

Damn. You must've had strict teachers in your high school.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/16 at 8:52 am

Btw, when I was at school, we did not have calculators like today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/13/16 at 10:48 am

It was shady as f*ck, I think she probably wasn't a real substitute teacher. The original teacher we had was really absent-minded too, his class is where the infamous Two Girls One Cup PSP incident I talked about in another thread happened LOL

That sounds like my classes when we have a substitute teacher, and he/she just have the class talk to their friends, or use their phones in this case.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/14/16 at 1:01 am

My first Year 8 maths teacher (whom I had for two terms, until he left the school altogether) was obsessed with the Fat Controller from Thomas The Tank Engine. When we were learning about algebra and decimals, he would always use the Fat Controller as an example and then he would show us videos, from Thomas The Tank Engine, with the Fat Controller in it. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/14/16 at 6:00 am

My first Year 8 maths teacher (whom I had for two terms, until he left the school altogether) was obsessed with the Fat Controller from Thomas The Tank Engine. When we were learning about algebra and decimals, he would always use the Fat Controller as an example and then he would show us videos, from Thomas The Tank Engine, with the Fat Controller in it.

Why would he do that to a bunch of middle schoolers, or whatever you call them in Australia?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/14/16 at 6:30 am

Why would he do that to a bunch of middle schoolers, or whatever you call them in Australia?

I think he just liked Thomas The Tank Engine. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/14/16 at 10:53 am

I think he just liked Thomas The Tank Engine. :P

Ok. I never really had a teacher that shown us a preschool/educational show outside of elementary school.

Check for new replies or respond here...