inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What HASN'T changed since the 00s?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/10/16 at 3:27 am

Since we have threads about what has changed often, I figured I would do one on what hasn't changed. I.e., technologies, cultural trends, fashions that we have had since the 00s. For instance, I vividly remember using the Wifi in a hotel that me and my folks went to on vacation back in 2006, right down to putting the password in.

In a lot of ways, it seems that so many things have been going since the 00s.

So here's my list

Wifi (obviously)
Color screen camera, video, music and internet cell phones
LCD computer screens
High speed internet
GPS navigation
Web 2.0
Youtube
Online multiplayer gaming
Celebrity culture
Reality TV
Flat caps (since the mid 00s)
touch screens in automobiles (for anyone who watched Top Gear ten years ago)
Pokémon!

There are so many things but that is just off the top of my head. It irks me when someone says "such and such wasn't around 10 years ago" when they don't realise that 10 years ago was so culturally recent, even if the time has passed. I am sure some people still think of ten years ago as the late 90s sometimes! Maybe older people I dunno. I am heading that way myself TBH. Back when I was 18 3 years felt like a long time, now it feels quite recent.

It amazes me when young kids know about cultural phenomenon that were from back when I was young. For instance I was riding around the block on my bicycle past these kids a couple months back about maybe 8 or 9 walking on the sidewalk and one of them started singing Chamillionaire's "They see me rollin'" song from 2005 just as I was riding past with my hood up! So many things from the 2000s still seem to be well known about in the 2010s still.

It's like Eminem for instance, he spans generations. I know 18 year olds at work that know Eminem's back catalogue like I do even though they would have been babies when he first came out. It's crazy how little has changed in some ways.

Subject: Re: What HASN'T changed since the 00s?

Written By: wixness on 09/10/16 at 11:22 am

Countries being governed like police states, namely the US and the UK since they love doing everything together long after the Revolution drama, including going to war.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 11:39 am

Countries being governed like police states, namely the US and the UK since they love doing everything together long after the Revolution drama, including going to war.

I don't think a lot of Americans like going to war, like me. Especially when military spendings on Iraq in the 2000s led to the 2008 recession.

Written By: wixness on 09/10/16 at 11:44 am

I don't think a lot of Americans like going to war, like me. Especially when military spendings on Iraq in the 2000s led to the 2008 recession.

Yeah, but democracy seems to be dead in the US, and is probably going to die out in the UK. If you're someone like Milo Yiannopoulos, you'd think that democracy is dead in places like Sweden and Germany. Any attempts to sway the US and the UK government out of going to war have been suppressed, and this decade in the 2010s, their respective government agencies have been caught spying on us.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 11:52 am

Yeah, but democracy seems to be dead in the US, and is probably going to die out in the UK.

We have an upcoming presidential election. How is that not democratic? If it wasn't, then we'll probably have someone like Trump as our dictator that would probably make America as bad as the Middle East. There could be anti-Muslim propaganda everywhere, and probably everyone would have to be as dumb as him in order to fully live.

If you're someone like Milo Yiannopoulos, you'd think that democracy is dead in places like Sweden and Germany. Any attempts to sway the US and the UK government out of going to war have been suppressed, and this decade in the 2010s, their respective government agencies have been caught spying on us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_general_election,_2018

Written By: 2001 on 09/10/16 at 11:56 am

Social media everywhere
Cellphones and computers dominating our lives
Trolling on the Internet
Nintendo failing at getting third parties
Kanye West
People thinking gaming laptops are wise investments
Piracy
PC gaming still being GOAT
Xbox being second place

We have an upcoming presidential election. How is that not democratic? If it wasn't, then we'll probably have someone like Trump as our dictator that would probably make America as bad as the Middle East. There could be anti-Muslim propaganda everywhere, and probably everyone would have to be as dumb as him in order to fully live.

We will probably switch our electoral system to be more like Germany's and Sweden's starting with the 2019 election here in Canada. If anything, those countries are models of democracy lol.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/16 at 5:41 pm

Social media everywhere
Cellphones and computers dominating our lives
Trolling on the Internet
Nintendo failing at getting third parties
Kanye West
People thinking gaming laptops are wise investments
Piracy
PC gaming still being GOAT
Xbox being second place

We will probably switch our electoral system to be more like Germany's and Sweden's starting with the 2019 election here in Canada. If anything, those countries are models of democracy lol.

That has been a mainstay for a while now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 5:57 pm

Well, that seems to be okay. Not that I disagree with most of Europe's electoral systems, but it's just democracy.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/10/16 at 7:29 pm

* The gaming industry is dominated by so-called interactive movies and FPS's.
* We're still fighting in Afghanistan, even though 9/11's 15th anniversary is tomorrow.
* Reality television is still gigantic.
* Apple products still dominate technology, even though the rate of innovation has definitely slowed since Steve Jobs' untimely passing.
* Social media is still a natural way of life, in fact far moreso.
* There's still an uncomfortably large split between the American Democratic and Republican parties.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/10/16 at 7:47 pm

Nah, most of the 2000's there was still a lot of variety in the gaming industry, especially during the late 5th gen and 6th gen eras. Maybe since the late 2000's, but not most of the 2000's though.

Written By: 2001 on 09/10/16 at 8:34 pm

Nah, most of the 2000's there was still a lot of variety in the gaming industry, especially during the late 5th gen and 6th gen eras. Maybe since the late 2000's, but not most of the 2000's though.

I was reading a thread on a gaming forum from early 2007 that I posted in about people's top 10 games since 2000, and there were some people making fun of the lists by dismissing them as "Top 10 shooters"  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/16 at 8:44 pm

* Apple products still dominate technology, even though the rate of innovation has definitely slowed since Steve Jobs' untimely passing.

Apple was WAY different in the 2000s. It was all about the iMacs and iPods back then. The company was balanced with how much devices they made, and it wasn't over-commercialized. At the time, it had a sweet reputation. But after Steve Jobs died, the company then focused more on their sh*tty iPads and newer generation iPhones. They barely give a f*ck about their computers, since most of their consumers only have their mobile devices. It's a sad era to the company, and it's the reason why I loath Tim Cook with his decisions. It's make me wish that Steve Wozniak was their CEO or chairman of Apple, since he was reliable towards the company since its founding in 1976.

That is, if you were talking about the late 2000s. The early-mid 2000s didn't really saw a lot of people going on social media to talk about sheesh, and even in the late 2000s, a lot of people didn't really use it that much. Unless it was Myspace, Digg, or something like that.

* There's still an uncomfortably large split between the American Democratic and Republican parties.

Well... it wasn't that fierce when Bush Jr. was president.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/16 at 10:37 pm

From the mid and late 00s, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter are still popular. Teens are still into the latest and greatest tech and trends these days, that hasn't changed for many generations.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 8:30 am

From the mid and late 00s, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter are still popular. Teens are still into the latest and greatest tech and trends these days, that hasn't changed for many generations.

Facebook and Twitter weren't that popular during the mid 2000s. Twitter just started in 2006, while Facebook wasn't available to the general public until September of 2006.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/11/16 at 9:30 am

If it wasn't for the already replies, I really wouldn't have known.

Written By: wixness on 09/11/16 at 10:49 am

Having to change clothing sizes to cater to the growing obese population.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/16 at 2:43 pm

* We're still fighting in Afghanistan, even though 9/11's 15th anniversary is tomorrow.
* Reality television is still gigantic.

Some people like it.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 3:20 pm

Facebook and Twitter weren't that popular during the mid 2000s. Twitter just started in 2006, while Facebook wasn't available to the general public until September of 2006.

Yeah but Facebook was created in 2004, YouTube in 2005 and Twitter in 2006, so the social media mentality was already there in the mid 2000s when MySpace and other smaller social networks were big. But you're right the sites that are popular today didn't really get big until the late 00s, but the social media concept is the same from the mid 00s, only more focus on phones and apps now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 3:48 pm

Yeah but Facebook was created in 2004, YouTube in 2005 and Twitter in 2006, so the social media mentality was already there in the mid 2000s when MySpace and other smaller social networks were big. But you're right the sites that are popular today didn't really get big until the late 00s, but the social media concept is the same from the mid 00s, only more focus on phones and apps now.

Social media nowadays is usually populated on mobile devices, rather than computers.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 3:55 pm

Social media nowadays is usually populated on mobile devices, rather than computers.

So? It's still social media.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/11/16 at 4:12 pm

I agree with Slim, even though social media didn't become commonly used until the late 2000's, the building branches of it did begin in the mid 2000's. I go by this 4 year stretch from 2003-2006. Myspace in 2003, Facebook in 2004, Youtube in 2005, and Twitter in 2006. It had an impact on our culture for the rest of the 2000's onto now.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/11/16 at 4:15 pm

Since we have threads about what has changed often, I figured I would do one on what hasn't changed. I.e., technologies, cultural trends, fashions that we have had since the 00s. For instance, I vividly remember using the Wifi in a hotel that me and my folks went to on vacation back in 2006, right down to putting the password in.

In a lot of ways, it seems that so many things have been going since the 00s.

So here's my list

Wifi (obviously)
Color screen camera, video, music and internet cell phones
LCD computer screens
High speed internet
GPS navigation
Web 2.0
Youtube
Online multiplayer gaming
Celebrity culture
Reality TV
Flat caps (since the mid 00s)
touch screens in automobiles (for anyone who watched Top Gear ten years ago)
Pokémon!

There are so many things but that is just off the top of my head. It irks me when someone says "such and such wasn't around 10 years ago" when they don't realise that 10 years ago was so culturally recent, even if the time has passed. I am sure some people still think of ten years ago as the late 90s sometimes! Maybe older people I dunno. I am heading that way myself TBH. Back when I was 18 3 years felt like a long time, now it feels quite recent.

It amazes me when young kids know about cultural phenomenon that were from back when I was young. For instance I was riding around the block on my bicycle past these kids a couple months back about maybe 8 or 9 walking on the sidewalk and one of them started singing Chamillionaire's "They see me rollin'" song from 2005 just as I was riding past with my hood up! So many things from the 2000s still seem to be well known about in the 2010s still.

It's like Eminem for instance, he spans generations. I know 18 year olds at work that know Eminem's back catalogue like I do even though they would have been babies when he first came out. It's crazy how little has changed in some ways.

Just because something that existed back then still exists today doesn't mean there wasn't a change. Wifi/Internet has been used by the public since the 1990s. But it isn't like how it is today in 2016. Pokemon is not the same as it was in 1997 nor is it as popular as it was back then. We're not in Web 2.0 anymore. We're now in web 3.0. Youtube from 2006 is NOTHING like Youtube of 2016. Youtube now has a new set of popular people with a new trends and changes. Only similarity between Youtube of '06 and '16 is just the fact that they share the same name to be honest. Reality TV? Ehhh, I don't watch enough of that so I'll give ya the benefit of doubt. Celebrity culture is usually related to Pop Culture, but Pop culture isn't the same as it used to be. MMOs? Sure those are still around, but that's like saying the 2010s is the same as the 1990s just because of the fact that FPS and racing games still exist. And MMOs aren't entirely the same as they used to be especially since back then +90% of MMOs required a monthly fee where in 2016 most MMOs are now free to play. Touchscreens in automobiles doesn't mean much of anything. That's just evident that technology is progressing. It's not like in the 2020s they'll remove touchscreens. It doesn't have anything to do with the 2000s and 2010s being relatable in any strong way. Same goes for GPS navigation as that is a technological advancement, but it's something we'll have for decades. The 2050s could also have GPSs, but I don't think anyone would compare the 2010s to 2050s because of that. We don't get rid of advance tech until it becomes  100% obsolete which doesn't happen every decade.

I'm not saying the 2010s is 100% different from the 2000s (no decade is 100% unique from the adjacent decades), but I will say that it isn't the same either. There are enough differences to tell the two decades apart. If you see the decades as very similar then to each his own.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 4:20 pm

We're not in Web 2.0 anymore. We're now in web 3.0.

We are not in web 3.0 yet. This is still web 2.0. Web 3.0 won't arrive until the 20s at least.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/11/16 at 4:26 pm

We are not in web 3.0 yet. This is still web 2.0. Web 3.0 won't arrive until the 20s at least.

That's not what I usually see and/or hear. In fact the idea of Web 3.0 starting in the '20s is something I haven't heard anywhere else until now. But hey who knows.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/11/16 at 4:27 pm

I'm not saying the 2010s is 100% different from the 2000s (no decade is 100% unique from the adjacent decades), but I will say that it isn't the same either. There are enough differences to tell the two decades apart. If you see the decades as very similar then to each his own.

It's hard for me to except the truth, but the mainstream and society will always consider the 2000's decade to be more related to the 2010's than the 90's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 4:28 pm

I feel we've been in Web 2.0, but in an advanced way. We haven't gotten mobile websites to become extremely popular until the very late 2000s/early 2010s.

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/16 at 4:30 pm

It's hard for me to except the truth, but the mainstream and society will always consider the 2000's decade to be more related to the 2010's than the 90's.

Do they? To me it's sort of in between. But media-wise and social culture, the 2000s is definitely closer to the 90s imo.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 4:34 pm

That's not what I usually see and/or hear. In fact the idea of Web 3.0 starting in the '20s is something I haven't heard anywhere else until now. But hey who knows.

We are in a more advanced web 2.0. But web 3.0 is totally different than what we perceive the internet to be today.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/11/16 at 4:34 pm

Hey just because they all see it that way doesn't mean it's true. Especially since the 2000s was a decade of rapid change. Can't even relate the early half of the 2000s with the later half. Same for the 1990s. Late 1990s isn't relatable to the 1980s as it has more in common with the early 2000s than anything else. In fact I can't call decades with rapid changes as relatable. Main thing that makes the 2000s and 2010s relate is Obama being president, but that was from 2008 to 2016. And as shown in the past different presidents can cause for different cultural feel (not immediately mind you). By the late 2010s something tells me we're in for another change (whether it actually happens is beyond my knowledge, though).

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/11/16 at 4:39 pm

Do they? To me it's sort of in between. But media-wise and social culture, the 2000s is definitely closer to the 90s imo.

Well depending on the part of the decade we're talking about. Late 1990s and early 2000s social media was pretty much the same. Late 2000s and early 2010s social media is in a similar case, I think. It's a bit hard to compare decades with crazy changes within them for me since it's like the 1990s and 2000s had mini decades within them. While the 2010s is the first time since the 1990s/2000s that we've actually had a consistent decade. So it's a bit tricky for me.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 4:40 pm

The 2000s and 2010s do feel more alike than the 90s and 2000s. The 90s just feel very old, especially the first half. But the 2000s you can at least get a lot of things that are still popular in the today, even from the early 00s. I think by the time the 10s finish, the 2000s and 2010s will still be more alike than the 90s and 00s. Also, many people in society think they are more alike because they both belong to the 21st century. The 20th century is perceived as different and much older.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 4:42 pm

Hey just because they all see it that way doesn't mean it's true. Especially since the 2000s was a decade of rapid change. Can't even relate the early half of the 2000s with the later half. Same for the 1990s. Late 1990s isn't relatable to the 1980s as it has more in common with the early 2000s than anything else. In fact I can't call decades with rapid changes as relatable. Main thing that makes the 2000s and 2010s relate is Obama being president, but that was from 2008 to 2016. And as shown in the past different presidents can cause for different cultural feel (not immediately mind you). By the late 2010s something tells me we're in for another change (whether it actually happens is beyond my knowledge, though).

Tell that to my dad. He thinks not much has changed after 1997.  ;D But I still think the 00s and 10s are more alike than the 90s and 00s.

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/16 at 4:43 pm

I feel we've been in Web 2.0, but in an advanced way. We haven't gotten mobile websites to become extremely popular until the very late 2000s/early 2010s.

Even in 2010/2011 the web wasn't very mobile friendly. A lot of websites used heavy Flash back then! Apple got crucified for dropping Flash support, but they ended up being on the right side of history haha.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/11/16 at 4:45 pm

Tell that to my dad. He thinks not much has changed after 1997.  ;D But I still think the 00s and 10s are more alike than the 90s and 00s.

To each his own.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/11/16 at 4:47 pm

Even in 2010/2011 the web wasn't very mobile friendly. A lot of websites used heavy Flash back then! Apple got crucified for dropping Flash support, but they ended up being on the right side of history haha.

I assume that's because mobile devices we're insanely popular until 2010/2011. They existed in the late 2000s, but not enough people had them to the point where the phone/web industries would start making tons of content exclusive for those devices. Funny how fast that changed by 2016. Now nearly all websites are mobile friendly. Or at least all the major websites that are commonly visited.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 4:51 pm

Well, that actually makes sense. There wasn't a lot of websites that you could easily browse on your smartphone's app, unless you have one that's Flash enabled. Which is why people still used computers in the late 2000s/early 2010s, since all of them were compatible to run Flash.

The 2000s and 2010s do feel more alike than the 90s and 2000s. The 90s just feel very old, especially the first half. But the 2000s you can at least get a lot of things that are still popular in the today, even from the early 00s. I think by the time the 10s finish, the 2000s and 2010s will still be more alike than the 90s and 00s. Also, many people in society think they are more alike because they both belong to the 21st century. The 20th century is perceived as different and much older.

In any way possible, the 2000s feel more related towards the 90s. Unless it was the very late 2000s, then it would mostly be related towards the early 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 4:59 pm

Well, that actually makes sense. There wasn't a lot of websites that you could easily browse on your smartphone's app, unless you have one that's Flash enabled. Which is why people still used computers in the late 2000s/early 2010s, since all of them were compatible to run Flash.

In any way possible, the 2000s feel more related towards the 90s. Unless it was the very late 2000s, then it would mostly be related towards the early 2010s.

Not to me. Even the early and mid 2000s as a whole are more similar to the 2010s than the 90s, especially the first half of the 90s. The 90s are completely different in my opinion. Think of it this way; there was a good chunk of the 90s decade where people didn't know what the internet was. That should make you think the 00s and 10s are more alike because the internet changed everything. Yes, the way we use the internet is totally different today compared to the early 2000s. But people still had access to the internet in the early 2000s and they didn't in say 1995. That makes a huge difference.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/11/16 at 5:02 pm

Not to me. Even the early and mid 2000s as a whole are more similar to the 2010s than the 90s, especially the first half of the 90s. The 90s are completely different in my opinion. Think of it this way; there was a good chunk of the 90s decade were people didn't know what the internet even was. That should make you think the 00s and 10s are more alike because the internet changed everything.

By the late 1990s internet was in Web 1.0 and very popular. By the early 2000s internet was still in web 1.0 and popular. Not much changed between that time. People still used things like Windows 95/98 in the early 2000s and dial up was also still the most common thing until broadband took the top in 2005. But even then internet shouldn't be the sole factor to things being the same/different. Internet will be around in the 2020s, but I'm not gonna say that the 2020s is the same as the 2000s or 2010s just because of that.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 5:05 pm

By the late 1990s internet was in Web 1.0 and very popular. Buy the early 2000s internet was still in web 1.0 and popular. Not much changed between that time. But even then internet shouldn't be the sole factor to things being the same/different. Internet will be around in the 2020s, but I'm not gonna say that the 2020s is the same as the 2000s or 2010s.

The internet is a huge factor because it is one of the greatest inventions and changed how the world operates. We aren't comparing early 2000s and late 90s... We're comparing the entire decade of the 2000s and the entire decade of the 90s. And I never said 2000s and 2010s are the same... Of course they're different, just not as different as the 90s and 00s were. The 00s and 10s are just much more alike in my opinion.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/11/16 at 5:13 pm

The internet is a huge factor because it is one of the greatest inventions and changed how the world operates. We aren't comparing early 2000s and late 90s... We're comparing the entire decade of the 2000s and the entire decade of the 90s. And I never said 2000s and 2010s are the same... Of course they're different, just not as different as the 90s and 00s were.

That's the thing. You can't easily compare the entire 1990s and 2000s since the decades already had crazy changes within them, but even if we did the same thing applies. Internet will exist for decades to come yet that won't make succeeding decades similar to the 2000s. Especially. Late 1990s, early 2000s, 2010s, rest of the 21st century etc. All will have the internet, but it won't immediately make these decades comparable as internet would be in different stages with different trends and new generation of users as time passes. Not a 1990s vs 2000s vs 2010s thing. It's just the fact that just because something existed in multiple decades doesn't immediately mean those decades are automatically comparable. Especially if the invention had quite a few changes as time passed.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 5:27 pm

Not to me. Even the early and mid 2000s as a whole are more similar to the 2010s than the 90s, especially the first half of the 90s.

How? The early and mid 2000s weren't that similar towards the 2010s. If you went to the years 2000-2006, then you would've seen a big difference compared to 2010-2016. Nobody used smartphones nor any smart tablets, while people used either VCRs or DVD players to watch their movies. Netflix was only a mail-to-DVD service. Blockbuster was still huge, especially when people still rented media from them. Almost everyone used CRT TVs, along with basic, premium, or digital cable to watch TV. People used Windows 98, 2000, ME, and XP if they have a PC. Mac OS 8, 9, and X (10) if they were using a Mac. iPods were relatively new at the time, even though they became popular during the mid 2000s. Steve Jobs was still the CEO of Apple. YouTube was very innovative for its time, since it gave the Internet a large amount of videos, even though it wasn't that popular until the late 2000s. I could go on and on, but I think you could get the picture if you know what I'm talking about.

The 90s are completely different in my opinion. Think of it this way; there was a good chunk of the 90s decade where people didn't know what the internet was.

Even though AOL made the Internet prevalent. If you went to see anybody being nostalgic for the 90s, you'll know that dial-up access was the only way for the Internet back then. Sure, it was more popular during 1995-1999, but that's half of the 90s that we're talking about. So of course a good chunk of people actually knew what the Internet was back then.

That should make you think the 00s and 10s are more alike because the internet changed everything. Yes, the way we use the internet is totally different today compared to the early 2000s. But people still had access to the internet in the early 2000s and they didn't in say 1995. That makes a huge difference.

Except for the fact that a lot of people didn't use mobile devices to use the Internet. You have to use a computer back then, if it could access the Internet through a browser.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 5:32 pm

The internet is a huge factor because it is one of the greatest inventions and changed how the world operates. We aren't comparing early 2000s and late 90s... We're comparing the entire decade of the 2000s and the entire decade of the 90s. And I never said 2000s and 2010s are the same... Of course they're different, just not as different as the 90s and 00s were. The 00s and 10s are just much more alike in my opinion.

I could see several differences between the late 2000s and the mid 2010s (frankly, I feel like that we're still in the mid 2010s). A lot of people still used the Internet on computers, like I said earlier. The iPhone was still very new during the late 2000s. The Internet was mostly Flash enabled. A lot of people had to download torrents in order to watch their sh*t. Etc.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 5:48 pm

I could see several differences between the late 2000s and the mid 2010s (frankly, I feel like that we're still in the mid 2010s). A lot of people still used the Internet on computers, like I said earlier. The iPhone was still very new during the late 2000s. The Internet was mostly Flash enabled. A lot of people had to download torrents in order to watch their sh*t. Etc.

The late 2000s and 2016 are actually not even that different in my opinion. Mid and early 00s are different, but not as different as the 90s were to 2000s. The 1990s had even more changes than the 2000s so as a whole, 2000s and 2010s are more alike. I'll leave it at that. I actually remember parts of the 90s, and it was a totally different world then the childhood I had growing up in the early 2000s. Even the late 90s were different than the early 2000s in many ways.

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/16 at 6:07 pm

I just read that Internet didn't reach 50% of households until late 2001  :o

The US

http://www.statista.com/graphic/1/214662/household-adoption-rate-of-internet-access-in-the-us-since-1997.jpg

The UK

http://www.statista.com/graphic/1/275999/household-internet-penetration-in-great-britain.jpg

I'm an old school Gen Y-er now! Weird, it didn't feel that way. By 1997 when I got the Internet it felt like most people already had it, especially since everyone at school knew how to use a computer. I barely used the Internet before 2003 though, I guess I never bothered to ask other people if they had Internet. I vaguely remember in 2000-2001 school year, less than half the class raising their hand up when the teacher asked if people had Internet at home. I thought it was because my neighbourhood was poor though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 6:10 pm

The late 2000s and 2016 are actually not even that different in my opinion. Mid and early 00s are different, but not as different as the 90s were to 2000s. The 1990s had even more changes than the 2000s so as a whole, 2000s and 2010s are more alike. I'll leave it at that. I actually remember parts of the 90s, and it was a totally different world then the childhood I had growing up in the early 2000s. Even the late 90s were different than the early 2000s in many ways.

I don't think the late 90s and the early 2000s had that much differences. It was pretty much the same.

It was still prevalent during the late 90s/early 2000s, since they advertised it a lot.

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/16 at 6:16 pm

I don't think the late 90s and the early 2000s had that much differences. It was pretty much the same.

It was still prevalent during the late 90s/early 2000s, since they advertised it a lot.

Yeah, it's similar to smartphones how they were very relevant in 2009 and early '10s, but it didn't reach 50% marketshare until late 2012.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 6:17 pm

Yeah, it's similar to smartphones how they were very relevant in 2009 and early '10s, but it didn't reach 50% marketshare until late 2012.

True. I never saw a lot of people being tech-savvy with their phones until 2013 where I live.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 6:32 pm

It was very different. 1999 - 2001 was the only period that had some similarities, otherwise knows as the Y2K era. 1997 and 2002 are like two different worlds, that's how different they are.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 6:46 pm

It was very different. 1999 - 2001 was the only period that had some similarities, otherwise knows as the Y2K era. 1997 and 2002 are like two different worlds, that's how different they are.

Okay then. Go tell YouTube that, and see how they respond to that.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/11/16 at 7:25 pm

Off the top of my head:
- stupid social attitudes continue to persist
- tacky cheap Walmart-like (but not necessarily sold at) clothing being fashionable
- technology like the internet, cell phones and social media is everywhere (but a lot more prevalent today)
- helicopter parenting being the preferred way for modern parents
- video game addiction still big
- new technology from 12 years ago still had that slick, rounded look which continues today
- people continue to buy crapple products

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/11/16 at 7:54 pm

That's the thing. You can't easily compare the entire 1990s and 2000s since the decades already had crazy changes within them, but even if we did the same thing applies. Internet will exist for decades to come yet that won't make succeeding decades similar to the 2000s. Especially. Late 1990s, early 2000s, 2010s, rest of the 21st century etc. All will have the internet, but it won't immediately make these decades comparable as internet would be in different stages with different trends and new generation of users as time passes. Not a 1990s vs 2000s vs 2010s thing. It's just the fact that just because something existed in multiple decades doesn't immediately mean those decades are automatically comparable. Especially if the invention had quite a few changes as time passed.

I agree to the fullest. The specific feels and attitudes can completely divide decades on their own. The 90s and 2000s as different is understandable, but the early 2000s and 2010s are definitely nothing alike. Even 2004 being similar to the 2010s is ridiculous to me.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 8:02 pm

I agree to the fullest. The specific feels and attitudes can completely divide decades on their own. The 90s and 2000s as different is understandable, but the early 2000s and 2010s are definitely nothing alike. Even 2004 being similar to the 2010s is ridiculous to me.

If you took someone from 2004 in a time machine and put them in 1992, the differences would be so staggering that the person will have a big culture shock. No internet, completely different music, different fashion, no cell phones, no laptops, windows 95 not even existing, etc. If you did the same with a 2016 person to 2004, the person would definitely notice differences and things wouldn't be the same, but they definitely would not be as shocked as the first person. You don't even need a time machine for this. Simply look at a video from 1992, 2004, and 2016, and compare the resolutions. You'll see 2004 and 2016 are much more similar and I bet the content in the video are more similar too.

I never understood why people think the 1990s and 2000s are similar when I think they are a pair of the two most different decades since the 1960s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/16 at 8:11 pm

If you took someone from 2004 in a time machine and put them in 1992, the differences would be so staggering that the person will have a big culture shock. No internet, completely different music, different fashion, no cell phones, no laptops, windows 95 not even existing, etc. If you did the same with a 2016 person to 2004, the person would definitely notice differences and things wouldn't be the same, but they definitely would not be as shocked as the first person.

Maybe it's because the early 90s were mostly related towards the 80s, which is why 1995-1999 isn't the same. Also, a person from 2016 would be as shocked as hell if he/she went back to 2004. There were no smartphones, a lot of people used computers, and a bunch of other crap.

I never really understood why people think the 1990s and 2000s are similar when I think they are a pair of the two most different decades since the 1960s.

Because people used stuff like VCRs, the Internet (if we're talking about 1995-1999), and CDs during those two decades.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/11/16 at 8:25 pm

Maybe it's because the early 90s were mostly related towards the 80s, which is why 1995-1999 isn't the same. Also, a person from 2016 would be as shocked as hell if he/she went back to 2004. There were no smartphones, a lot of people used computers, and a bunch of other crap.

Because people used stuff like VCRs, the Internet (if we're talking about 1995-1999), and CDs during those two decades.

No smartphones? There were cellphones.. Smartphones are just advanced cell phones, same idea, just more high-tech features, and no internet on phones in nowhere near as shocking as no internet at all... And people still use Desktop PCs... Businesses, schools, gamers, PC enthusiasts all use them. Heck my mom still uses a desktop. Nothing shocking or ancient about that at all to be honest.

1990 - 1994 is still part of the 90s, so you can't ignore that period. 1995 and after is still heck of a lot different than the 2000s as Windows 95 would have just been released and people would just start to be using the internet. 1995 - 1999 isn't one era in its own, lots of changes happened then too. And it is different and separate from the 00s.

Going back to the topic of the thread, social media, internet, materialism, celebrities and celebrity culture, cell phones, laptops, desktops, content of popular music (songs on the radio about sex and drugs) are all still around since the 00s. They've just been updated by certain extents.

Written By: Emman on 09/12/16 at 12:15 am

Tell that to my dad. He thinks not much has changed after 1997.

I feel the same way, not much of a sizable difference from the late '90s-present in music, fashion, design, ect.

Pop cultural time feels like it froze with the arrival of the new millennium, music videos from 2000 still look brand new, it's very weird.

Written By: aja675 on 09/12/16 at 12:25 am

Pop cultural time feels like it froze with the arrival of the new millennium, music videos from 2000 still look brand new, it's very weird.

They do not, but the datedness of the '90s and the '00s is different from the datedness of the '80s and before. TBH, '90s and '00s videos and pictures look dated in that there are lots of tacky trends in them and the video or photo quality is not so good, but it's not like every single outfit would stand out in the present. That was not the case when the '80s were 20 years ago.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/12/16 at 8:25 am

Going back to the topic of the thread, social media, internet, materialism, celebrities and celebrity culture, cell phones, laptops, desktops, content of popular music (songs on the radio about sex and drugs) are all still around since the 00s. They've just been updated by certain extents.

This is a bit incorrect. Songs about sex was most likely a thing at that time. TLC promoted safe sex and wrote specific songs during their peak. Also, you might as well say pagers are early versions of cell phones.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/12/16 at 10:51 am

This. I like the way you think brother!!! ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/16 at 11:09 am

No smartphones? There were cellphones.. Smartphones are just advanced cell phones, same idea, just more high-tech features, and no internet on phones in nowhere near as shocking as no internet at all... And people still use Desktop PCs... Businesses, schools, gamers, PC enthusiasts all use them. Heck my mom still uses a desktop. Nothing shocking or ancient about that at all to be honest.

Cellphones in the 90s (especially in the early 90s) are archaic compared to today's smartphones. Take a look at these phones, and see if they are extremely different.

http://www.yourextrahand.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/cell-phone-from-1994.pnghttp://s.tmocache.com/content/dam/tmo/en-p/cell-phones/apple-iphone-6/silver/stills/carousel-apple-iphone-6-silver-380x380-1.jpg

1990 - 1994 is still part of the 90s, so you can't ignore that period. 1995 and after is still heck of a lot different than the 2000s as Windows 95 would have just been released and people would just start to be using the internet.

Even though people could use Windows 3.1, which could be accessible towards the Internet. It wasn't that similar towards Windows 95, but it was close for anyone using a modern computer interface during the early 90s.

1995 - 1999 isn't one era in its own, lots of changes happened then too. And it is different and separate from the 00s.

Politically, no. Pop culturally, no. There were a lot of things that weren't changed during 1995-1999. DVDs were relevant at the time, as they were available in Japan in 1995, while it was available in North America, Central America, and Southeast Asia in 1997.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/16 at 11:50 am

Even though people could use Windows 3.1, which could be accessible towards the Internet. It wasn't that similar towards Windows 95, but it was close for anyone using a modern computer interface during the early 90s.

Windows 95 is very different than 3.1 and all other OSes before it. Windows 95 revolutionized how people use computers. It was one of the biggest changes and biggest things to happen to personal computing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/16 at 12:00 pm

Windows 95 is very different than 3.1 and all other OSes before it. Windows 95 revolutionized how people use computers. It was one of the biggest changes and biggest things to happen to personal computing.

It's true that Windows 95 probably changed how people used computers, but the use of the Internet was still primitive, but yet popular at the time.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/16 at 12:03 pm

It's true that Windows 95 probably changed how people used computers, but the use of the Internet was still primitive, but yet popular at the time.

I'm pretty sure the use of the internet was discovered by most people around 1996. That's the year I always hear when people say they discovered the internet.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/16 at 12:06 pm

I'm pretty sure the use of the internet was discovred by most people around 1996. That's the year I always hear when people say they discovered the internet.

They might say so personally. But commercially, it was everywhere around 1995.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/12/16 at 2:43 pm

This. I like the way you think brother!!! ;)

1997 it wasn't very similar because there was a ton of Gen Xer influence and the year was mostly Gen X.

late 1998 and 2002? Very similar.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/16 at 2:55 pm

No, even 1998 was is not similar to 2002 either. They are two years with completely different culture.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/16 at 3:22 pm

1997 it wasn't very similar because there was a ton of Gen Xer influence and the year was mostly Gen X.

Kinda like the same. We already had the same technology during those years.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/16 at 4:06 pm

that's a good thing.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/16 at 4:10 pm

The US

http://www.statista.com/graphic/1/214662/household-adoption-rate-of-internet-access-in-the-us-since-1997.jpg

The UK

http://www.statista.com/graphic/1/275999/household-internet-penetration-in-great-britain.jpg

I'm an old school Gen Y-er now! Weird, it didn't feel that way. By 1997 when I got the Internet it felt like most people already had it, especially since everyone at school knew how to use a computer. I barely used the Internet before 2003 though, I guess I never bothered to ask other people if they had Internet. I vaguely remember in 2000-2001 school year, less than half the class raising their hand up when the teacher asked if people had Internet at home. I thought it was because my neighbourhood was poor though.

that's incredible statistics. :o

Written By: Howard on 09/12/16 at 4:12 pm

Off the top of my head:
- stupid social attitudes continue to persist
- tacky cheap Walmart-like (but not necessarily sold at) clothing being fashionable
- technology like the internet, cell phones and social media is everywhere (but a lot more prevalent today)
- helicopter parenting being the preferred way for modern parents
- video game addiction still big
- new technology from 12 years ago still had that slick, rounded look which continues today
- people continue to buy crapple products

I think we already know that.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/16 at 4:13 pm

Cellphones in the 90s (especially in the early 90s) are archaic compared to today's smartphones. Take a look at these phones, and see if they are extremely different.

http://www.yourextrahand.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/cell-phone-from-1994.pnghttp://s.tmocache.com/content/dam/tmo/en-p/cell-phones/apple-iphone-6/silver/stills/carousel-apple-iphone-6-silver-380x380-1.jpg

Politically, no. Pop culturally, no. There were a lot of things that weren't changed during 1995-1999. DVDs were relevant at the time, as they were available in Japan in 1995, while it was available in North America, Central America, and Southeast Asia in 1997.

They're both different.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/16 at 4:18 pm

The US

The UK

I guess Canada didn't really have that much internet access during the early 2000s.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/12/16 at 4:39 pm

Year     Internet access Broadband Internet access (a)(b)
1998 16%                           n.a.
1999 22%                           n.a.
2000 32%                           n.a.
2001 42%                           n.a.
2002 46%                           n.a.
2003 53%                          n.a.
2004–05 56%                           16%
2005–06 60%                           28%
2006–07 64%                           43%
2007–08 67%                           52%
2009–10 72%                           62%
2010–11 79%                           73%

I apologize for not being able to find an image, but here is the percentage of internet access here in Australia, in case you were interested. Dial-up is still used by a very small minority of households. Personally, I had dial-up until 2010.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/16 at 4:47 pm

I guess Canada didn't really have that much internet access during the early 2000s.

Yeah we did. I was on the internet a lot in the early 2000s, not even dial up anymore. As a lower income family in Canada, we got the internet in the late 90s. Almost all families in Canada had the internet by the early 2000s. If you didn't, people would get weirded out.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/16 at 5:24 pm

Yeah we did. I was on the internet a lot in the early 2000s, not even dial up anymore. As a lower income family in Canada, we got the internet in the late 90s. Almost all families in Canada had the internet by the early 2000s. If you didn't, people would get weirded out.

I don't think a lot of people would get weirded out if they don't have Internet in the early 2000s, especially in Canada. Maybe where Slowpoke lives, the Internet wasn't a necessity, but you're telling me like it was a necessity in the early 2000s. I don't even know how you could remember a lot of stuff from the late 90s, when you were only a toddler at the time.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/16 at 6:08 pm

I don't think a lot of people would get weirded out if they don't have Internet in the early 2000s, especially in Canada. Maybe where Slowpoke lives, the Internet wasn't a necessity, but you're telling me like it was a necessity in the early 2000s. I don't even know how you could remember a lot of stuff from the late 90s, when you were only a toddler at the time.

Do you think Canada is a third world country or something?  ??? Lol we're more advanced than the U.S. technologically in many areas from no-swipe chip credit cards to debit tap technology.

I live in Canada. The fact is, almost everyone had internet in the early 2000s and yes, it would be very weird for a family not to have any internet at that time at at least having dial-up. You can't argue otherwise when that's the truth, I was older than you in the early 2000s so I experienced this plus I live in Canada too so I would know... Plus my family was did not have a lot of money at the time and we had internet in the late 90s. I don't know where you're getting your information from....

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/16 at 6:25 pm

Do you think Canada is a third world country or something?  ??? Lol we're more advanced than the U.S. technologically in many areas from no-swipe chip credit cards to debit tap technology.

Dude, no. I just think that the Internet wasn't that wide in the early 2000s, especially for Canada. I mean, I have visited Canada before, but I don't remember it.

I live in Canada. The fact is, almost everyone had internet in the early 2000s and yes, it would be very weird for a family not to have any internet at that time at at least having dial-up. You can't argue otherwise when that's the truth, I was older than you in the early 2000s so I experienced this plus I live in Canada too so I would know... Plus my family was did not have a lot of money at the time and we had internet in the late 90s. I don't know where you're getting your information from....

Even if I were older in the early 2000s, I wouldn't really know that Canada had a lot of people surfing the Internet that much. I live in the United States. Do you really think that us Americans know that your country used the Internet a lot?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/16 at 6:34 pm

Dude, no. I just think that the Internet wasn't that wide in the early 2000s, especially for Canada. I mean, I have visited Canada before, but I don't remember it.

Even if I were older in the early 2000s, I wouldn't really know that Canada had a lot of people surfing the Internet that much. I live in the United States. Do you really think that us Americans know that your country used the Internet a lot?

Again, you keep saying "especially Canada" as if Canada is different than the U.S. in internet usage. Canada isn't different at all from the U.S. for internet usage growth. They both grew equally at the same time...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/16 at 6:41 pm

Again, you keep saying "especially Canada" as if Canada is different than the U.S. in internet usage. Canada isn't different at all from the U.S. for internet usage growth. They both grew equally at the same time...

Umm... okay. It's not like people in the United States know that Canada had an equal internet usage growth. It's like you're saying that as I don't know anything about Canada, even though I do like the country.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/16 at 7:42 pm

Umm... okay. It's not like people in the United States know that Canada had an equal internet usage growth. It's like you're saying that as I don't know anything about Canada, even though I do like the country.

That's okay. The point is the early 2000s weren't THAT primitive. Super old-looking and dated? Yes. But no internet to the majority of people in first world countries? Heck no.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/16 at 7:57 pm

That's okay. The point is the early 2000s weren't THAT primitive. Super old-looking and dated? Yes. But no internet to the majority of people in first world countries? Heck no.

Well okay. It's really dated as hell, but I thought we were talking about the pre-9/11 early 2000s. But yet again, I'm kinda sorry for that.

Written By: Emman on 09/12/16 at 8:41 pm

They do not, but the datedness of the '90s and the '00s is different from the datedness of the '80s and before. TBH, '90s and '00s videos and pictures look dated in that there are lots of tacky trends in them and the video or photo quality is not so good, but it's not like every single outfit would stand out in the present. That was not the case when the '80s were 20 years ago.

The only music that seems distinctly 2010s is dub-step and that only lasted about one year and half in pop music(later '11 and '12), although it still has an influence on Rihanna's music. Dub-step would sound truly strange if I heard it around the year 2000.

Maybe because fashion was not "out there" in the '90s or '00s is why it has dated slower(esp. compared to the '70s far out stuff). :-\\

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/16 at 10:05 pm

The only music that seems distinctly 2010s is dub-step and that only lasted about one year and half in pop music(later '11 and '12), although it still has an influence on Rihanna's music. Dub-step would sound truly strange if I heard it around the year 2000.

Maybe because fashion was not "out there" in the '90s or '00s is why it has dated slower(esp. compared to the '70s far out stuff). :-\\

Yeah I agree. I feel like dubstep is the only distinct sound of the 2010s because EDM was actually made long before. As for fashion, it is a lot less different each decade now compared to the decades before the 90s. I feel like because technology is changing and evolving so fast, society is paying less attention to fashion and music trends like they did in the 20th century and they are focused more on the growth of technology and innovation for humanity as a whole. Which isn't a bad thing. Though I do wish certain trends were less bland these days.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/12/16 at 10:24 pm

Japan is more technologically advanced than ALL countries across the world.  :o

My dad visited Japan in Fall 2004 and mobile phones and tablets were already a huge thing in that country by then. At the time he was there he told me there were subways that could take you across the ENTIRE country.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/16 at 10:38 pm

My dad visited Japan in Fall 2004 and mobile phones and tablets were already a huge thing in that country by then. At the time he was there he told me there were subways that could take you across the ENTIRE country.

That's true. Japan is number one for technological advancement. Everything looks so futuristic there.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/12/16 at 10:53 pm

I'm pretty sure the use of the internet was discovered by most people around 1996. That's the year I always hear when people say they discovered the internet.

Yeah, 1996 was when I first remember hearing about the internet, too. That was mostly because '96 was when you first started seeing companies put their web addresses on their TV ads. I didn't actually use the internet for the first time myself until 1998, though.

To be honest, I'm not all that surprised to see those numbers. We didn't get the internet at our house until March 2000 ourselves. Growing up in a fairly rural area, I would say that probably less than 50% of my classmates had internet access as late as early 2001. It took it a good while before the internet became widely available out here, and I would imagine there were probably many other areas like this one throughout the country.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/13/16 at 12:21 am

Just out of curiosity, what did most people in Canada use the internet for, back in the Early 2000s? Here in Australia, the internet was mostly used just for e-mailing. Researching things on Google simply wasn't a common activity back then and a large proportion of people did not have a social media account at the time either. It was only around 2005 or 2006, that the Internet started to be used for other purposes, besides e-mailing (at least in a general point of view, anyway).

Written By: 2001 on 09/13/16 at 12:48 am

Just out of curiosity, what did most people in Canada use the internet for, back in the Early 2000s? Here in Australia, the internet was mostly used just for e-mailing. Researching things on Google simply wasn't a common activity back then and a large proportion of people did not have a social media account at the time either. It was only around 2005 or 2006, that the Internet started to be used for other purposes, besides e-mailing (at least in a general point of view, anyway).

Gameshark codes, video game tips, MSN  ;D

I used to spam my dad's inbox while he was at work, so yeah, a lot of email as well. Then getting those bad chain emails from my friends telling me I'll be cursed by the girl who died in the car crash if I don't send the email to 10 people.  :\'(

In the late 90s I used Ask Jeeves or Yahoo! By 2001 or 2002 I was using Google. In Grade 5 (2002-03) I was using the Internet for research on projects, so yeah, I had to know Google by then.  ;D That's when I discovered the magical copy and paste, and then getting scolded for plagiarizing  :\'(

Written By: wixness on 09/13/16 at 7:03 am

They had to give away iPhones for free because no one wanted it when it first came out since they lacked features such as TV tuners. This decade, however, most of its people own iPhones and flip phones now.

They say that phones in Japan were highly advanced because of small living quarters which necessitated a multitool in order to meet their consumer electronic needs.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/13/16 at 9:32 am

I personally used Yahoo.com, MSN Messaging, games, kids websites. Other people used email as well. Forums have been around then too. I discovered Google in early 2003. The internet in the early 2000s in Canada was used the same way as today just without the presence of social media.

Written By: 2001 on 09/13/16 at 10:33 am

Japan used to be really ahead in mobile technology back when Japanese tech giants used to make a good chunk of the best cellphones.  By the mid/late 2000s pretty much all phones could connect to the Internet. But when the smartphone era came around they really fell behind, it has one of the lowest smartphone adoption rates in the developed world.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/13/16 at 11:21 am

Japan used to be really ahead in mobile technology back when Japanese tech giants used to make a good chunk of the best cellphones.  By the mid/late 2000s pretty much all phones could connect to the Internet. But when the smartphone era came around they really fell behind, it has one of the lowest smartphone adoption rates in the developed world.

Honestly, they probably turned their focus to developing early androids.

Written By: 2001 on 09/13/16 at 11:30 am

And then Trunks comes back from the future to stop us!  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/13/16 at 1:34 pm

Or maybe it's because Japan focuses more on their own set of technology, since this is the same company who produced Sega and Nintendo.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/13/16 at 10:18 pm

Or maybe it's because Japan focuses more on their own set of technology, since this is the same company who produced Sega and Nintendo.

I don't know about Slowpoke, but thanks for understanding. I was serious with that post. Last time I search Japanese robots, they had these hospital androids that can respond to you.

I'm only interested in the chibi robots and drones. You won't see me anywhere near those human robots.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/14/16 at 11:33 am

Alright. I feel I can add digital clocks. I still prefer digital clocks and confident their still commonly in use.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/14/16 at 1:27 pm

Alright. I feel I can add digital clocks. I still prefer digital clocks and confident their still commonly in use.

I think digital clocks were around since the 80s or 90s. But it was everywhere since the 2000s, when a lot of people thought they were better.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/14/16 at 2:11 pm

I'm glad I grew up in a time where kids knew how to read analog clocks. These days I hear kids don't know how to read an analog clock and I find that very sad.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/14/16 at 2:19 pm

I'm glad I grew up in a time where kids knew how to read analog clocks. These days I hear kids don't know how to read an analog clock and I find that very sad.

I think their schools could help them learn how to read analog clocks. So it's not that big of a deal for them to not regularly read analog clocks.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/16 at 3:00 pm

they were probably born in a different era.

Written By: 2001 on 09/15/16 at 8:48 am

There are people who don't know how to read analog clocks?  :o That's the first I'm heating of this.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/16 at 4:05 pm

There are people who don't know how to read analog clocks?  :o That's the first I'm heating of this.

E don't nowk how to read an analogy clock, eiietherr.  :D  :D

Written By: 2001 on 09/15/16 at 4:23 pm

E don't nowk how to read an analogy clock, eiietherr.  :D  :D

I learnt how to read time thanks to Barney!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 4:26 pm

lol. You learned how to read time from a doofus dinosaur.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 09/15/16 at 4:41 pm

Who else could you learn to read time from in 1997  :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 4:41 pm

Sesame Street?

Written By: 2001 on 09/15/16 at 6:29 pm

Sesame Street?

I never liked it  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 6:40 pm

Heh. For the first time, I'm actually meeting someone who never liked Sesame Street, aside from my best friend in elementary school. Were you really into Elmo as a toddler, or did you not give a crap?

Written By: mqg96 on 09/15/16 at 7:10 pm

Caillou was the one preschool show I could not stand, even as a toddler.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/15/16 at 7:42 pm

I still can't read analog clocks and I'm glad I won't need to learn. Digital clocks are fun and one of the remaining balanced technology.

Written By: 2001 on 09/15/16 at 8:34 pm

Heh. For the first time, I'm actually meeting someone who never liked Sesame Street, aside from my best friend in elementary school. Were you really into Elmo as a toddler, or did you not give a crap?

No, I just didn't like it and so never watched it very much.  ;D

Caillou was the one preschool show I could not stand, even as a toddler.

Mess! That was the good one. Blue's Clues remains the best though.

Written By: 2001 on 09/15/16 at 8:37 pm

I still can't read analog clocks and I'm glad I won't need to learn. Digital clocks are fun and one of the remaining balanced technology.

Did they teach to you at school?

I think analog clocks are still more common than digital as wall clocks.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/16 at 8:46 pm

The big yellow bird looked like he was going to peck you to death, I can't blame you.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3426/3207621254_d47282d2a5_b.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/16 at 8:52 pm

grass

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/16 at 9:13 pm

grass
But grass is always brighter on the other side of the fence?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/16 at 9:17 pm

No, I just didn't like it and so never watched it very much.  ;D

Same with me. My mom told me when I was a baby, I used to watch Elmo a lot. However, I think I grew out of my Elmo phase when I was a Kindergartner.

Mess! That was the good one. Blue's Clues remains the best though.

Pretty much any show from Nick Jr in the late 90s and early 2000s were pretty cool. Except for Dora.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/16 at 9:19 pm

But grass is always brighter on the other side of the fence?

Maybe it will be brighter in 2020??  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/16 at 9:20 pm

Maybe it will be brighter in 2020??  ???
Brighter? I should have worn shades!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/16 at 9:21 pm

Brighter? I should have worn shades!

Maybe it will be brighter throughout the whole decade of the 2020's, not just 2020.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/16 at 9:25 pm

Maybe it will be brighter throughout the whole decade of the 2020's, not just 2020.  :)
Yes, with a clearer vision?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/16 at 9:50 pm

Yes, with a clearer vision?

20/20 vision?  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/16/16 at 7:33 am

Barney never taught that?  ???

Written By: Howard on 09/16/16 at 7:35 am

;D

Written By: Howard on 09/16/16 at 7:35 am

After 1997, people were reading time from their cell phones.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/16 at 7:36 am

Sesame Street always taught time.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/16 at 7:37 am

I liked Sesame Street from the early 80's.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/16 at 7:38 am

The big yellow bird looked like he was going to peck you to death, I can't blame you.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3426/3207621254_d47282d2a5_b.jpg

;D

Written By: 2001 on 09/16/16 at 8:04 am

Barney never taught that?  ???

He didn't?  :o It must've been from those toddler PC games then. I know that by the time they were teaching it in school, I already knew how to read time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/16/16 at 10:20 am

He didn't?  :o It must've been from those toddler PC games then. I know that by the time they were teaching it in school, I already knew how to read time.

I'm not really sure if Barney did tell time in his show, since I barely gave a crap about it when I was little.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/16/16 at 11:16 am

Did they teach to you at school?

I think analog clocks are still more common than digital as wall clocks.

If I see them on classroom walls, their nostalgic. Other then that, nah. It was interesting knowing students that knew how to read them. Haha

Written By: Howard on 09/16/16 at 3:45 pm

I'm not really sure if Barney did tell time in his show, since I barely gave a crap about it when I was little.

I barely watched it too but I was old enough to remember it.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/21/16 at 3:42 am

Looks like a lot of ya'll have missed the point of this thread. The idea is to go back 10 years of think of things or phrases that would be relevant today. For instance, a decade ago (remembering that now means 2006, not 1996) you could say "I'll just Google that" and it wouldn't sound out of place.

Try to think of phrases or well known technology related stuff whether physical like gadgets or software like websites that would have been as relevant then as now and vice versa.

Written By: 2001 on 09/21/16 at 11:29 am

Is "Can it run Crysis on full?" still the benchmark for a powerful PC? I remember it still was, circa ~2013/2014  ;D

Written By: wixness on 09/21/16 at 1:27 pm

Is "Can it run Crysis on full?" still the benchmark for a powerful PC? I remember it still was, circa ~2013/2014  ;D

Yeah. Moore's Law is coming to an end. We need graphene-based transistors and CPUs or something.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/21/16 at 2:01 pm

All I can think of, is the distrust in government! ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/21/16 at 2:04 pm

All I can think of, is the distrust in government! ;D

It seemed a bit different in the 2000s.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/24/16 at 2:33 am

Wow, that brings back memories! I remember that going on for years and years as well, hard to believe that saying originated nearly 10 years ago! That was a good game as well, if a bit over the top with the stereotypicalness.

I first played it only 18 or so months ago, back when it came out I was stuck with a crummy laptop.

The "new" desktop that I built back in November 2013 is going to have it's three year anniversary this November! ???

It's really quite odd.

Another thing, playing music on your phone was also the norm back in '06.

Check for new replies or respond here...