inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is there a difference between Mid 80s babies and late 80s babies?

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/25/16 at 6:29 pm

I often see people on these threads who say mid 80s babies and the late 80s babies don't have much in common. I honestly think that's not so much the case. And when I say mid 80s I mean 84 to 86 and late 80s 87 to 89.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: Is there a difference between Mid 80s babies and late 80s babies?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/25/16 at 6:34 pm

I honestly don't think mid and late 80s babies don't have anything in common. If you were talking about those threads that are 10 years old, then I don't think it matters. Considering that they quit using these forums long before the 2010s even started.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/25/16 at 6:47 pm

Maybe. Mid 80s babies might've been too old for Pokemon when it came out (though some, particularly late 85 and 86, might've not been too old).

People born in the mid 80s also seem to act older and superior to late 80s babies, from what I've seen on forums. i.e.
"Most amazingly accurate prediction of Back to the Future: kids born after 1985 all turned out to be assholes."
"Those of us born in the early mid 80s don't deserve to be lumped in with spoiled millennials. We're Gen X, we know what payphones are".

To be fair, mid 80s babies are over 30 now, so they have an excuse to act all "over the moon" and crochety. :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/25/16 at 7:07 pm

Maybe. Mid 80s babies might've been too old for Pokemon when it came out (though some, particularly late 85 and 86, might've not been too old).

People born in the mid 80s also seem to act older and superior to late 80s babies, from what I've seen on forums. i.e.
"Most amazingly accurate prediction of Back to the Future: kids born after 1985 all turned out to be assholes."
"Those of us born in the early mid 80s don't deserve to be lumped in with spoiled millennials. We're Gen X, we know what payphones are".

To be fair, mid 80s babies are over 30 now, so they have an excuse to act all "over the moon" and crochety. :P

I don't think every mid 80s baby seems to think that way. Pretty much any generation thinks that way, no matter what decade you were born in. Especially 90s elitists.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/16 at 7:12 pm

The teenagers born in 1989 and after look younger. Like a 14 year old born in 1987 looked older than teenagers today. Like a 14 year old that was born in 1987 would look like a 16/17 years old today.             

Written By: #Infinity on 09/25/16 at 7:30 pm

You guys have all the fun you want, but as for me...http://pix.iemoji.com/images/emoji/apple/ios-9/256/sleeping-face.png

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/25/16 at 8:11 pm

LOL that's true. But being in your 30s today (at least your early 39s) is the equivalent to being in your mid 20s in the 1980s or 90s still struggle to get to wear you want to be to have a comfortable life.

I still see some young adults who look like in their 30s, and they're already in that age. But whenever I see a 30 year old, they look young.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/25/16 at 8:13 pm

Depends on when in the late 80s. People born in 1989 seem more like 90s births. 87 can go either way. It's like some of them are just like early to mid 80s births and others are like the 90s borns.

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/25/16 at 8:19 pm

There's no difference between an early 85er or a late 85er. If you were born in February of 85 then you were either too old for Pokemon or you weren't. If you were born in November of 85 then you were either too old for Pokemon or you weren't. People born few months make no difference. Trying to divide people in their own birth year is worse then dividing people who are born only a year part. There's no difference in how they came up.

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/25/16 at 8:23 pm

I don't think every mid 80s baby seems to think that way. Pretty much any generation thinks that way, no matter what decade you were born in. Especially 90s elitists.

Only a very few are ignorant like that.That just shows that ignorent people are born anytime. Mid 80s born don't think that way generally

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/25/16 at 8:29 pm

I agree you with you on this one. It's really laughable when mid 80s born try to claim their a part of gen x lol. Unless you were born in 80 or 81 you are not gen x.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/25/16 at 8:40 pm

There's no difference between an early 85er or a late 85er. If you were born in February of 85 then you were either too old for Pokemon or you weren't. If you were born in November of 85 then you were either too old for Pokemon or you weren't. People born few months make no difference. Trying to divide people in their own birth year is worse then dividing people who are born only a year part. There's no difference in how they came up.

They were teenagers at the time Pokemon became mainstream, but they could still be fans of the franchise during its huge peak in the very late 90s/early 2000s. Or maybe they're still fans of the franchise to this day.

Only a very few are ignorant like that. That just shows that ignorent people are born anytime. Mid 80s born don't think that way generally

Well yeah. It's not like most mid 80s babies tend to separate each other from late 80s babies, despite both of them being 90s kids.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/25/16 at 9:12 pm

I agree you with you on this one. It's really laughable when mid 80s born try to claim their a part of gen x lol. Unless you were born in 80 or 81 you are not gen x.

Tbf, I have heard some definitions of Gen X that go up to 84 or 85.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/25/16 at 9:42 pm

I often see people on these threads who say mid 80s babies and the late 80s babies don't have much in common. I honestly think that's not so much the case. And when I say mid 80s I mean 84 to 86 and late 80s 87 to 89.

What do you think?

I'm with you that it's not true. In fact it's hogwash. Many late 80's born kids were younger siblings to mid 80's older siblings. They played with their toys, grew up with the same culture, wore their hand me downs. In fact I know 90's born people who are familiar with stuff I was raised with. Only they were children when I was in my teens. When you're still kids of course you'll hang around your own age group. When you're not in school anymore that's a thing of the past and you can relate to a wider range of people, some you'll find you have surprisingly alot in common with.

The teenagers born in 1989 and after look younger. Like a 14 year old born in 1987 looked older than teenagers today. Like a 14 year old that was born in 1987 would look like a 16/17 years old today.           

That doesn't make any sense. They look younger because of the widening age gap.

Please. Some of the least mature most stubborn people I've met online were born BEFORE the 80's. In my personal experience. Not to speak for them all or generalize. Want to know what makes me "crochety?" Ignorance.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/25/16 at 9:48 pm

Also come on people, do we really need ANOTHER generational/decadeology topic on this forum? Haven't we discussed this stuff to death?

And it isn't even relevant to the 00s decade. If you must post it, post in on More than a decade.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/25/16 at 9:52 pm

Also come on people, do we really need ANOTHER generational/decadeology topic on this forum? Haven't we discussed this stuff to death?

And it isn't even relevant to the 00s decade. If you must post it, post in on More than a decade.

The generation gap talk needs it's own section.

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/25/16 at 10:15 pm

I have too but it's so inaccurate it's ridiculous. That's why there are only some "definitions" of it. And they only use it BECAUSE it gives a "perfect 20 span". Those born in 84 and 85 are not gen x. They're gen Y and you can a lot of those traits in these people.

And on a side note there are no hard lines drawn between one generation and another. It's goes by cusp years and the X/Y cusp are from late 70s to early 80s

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/25/16 at 10:34 pm

People born in 84 and 85 weren't entrenched in the Reagan era growing up. They weren't as influenced by the 80s.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/25/16 at 10:37 pm

People born in 84 and 85 weren't entrenched in the Reagan era growing up. They weren't as influenced by the 80s.

Since you're an Aussie, wouldn't you mean the Hawke era? ;)

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/25/16 at 10:50 pm

Exactly. There wasn't an 80s influence at all, they were too young

Written By: mqg96 on 09/25/16 at 11:48 pm

Not giving my opinion on this thread, but Katana Queen is on fire at the moments!

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/26/16 at 12:57 am

They were teenagers at the time Pokemon became mainstream, but they could still be fans of the franchise during its huge peak in the very late 90s/early 2000s. Or maybe they're still fans of the franchise to this day.

Exactly, they were turning 14 in 1999 when. Pokemon got huge.  If you were born anytime in 85, be it early mid or late you turned 14.  Those a few months older or younger had the same early teen mind set. And you're right they could have been into Pokemon. What that guy was saying was mids 80s were probably a little old for it but few "particularly late 85 and 86 weren't too old". How can somebody just six months older be "too old", like there's any difference. No disrespect to him or anything but it was sort of foolish to say that. They all were basically the same age and anybody who was born that year who was into Pokemon was born in any giving month in 85, not just "late 85". Lol I mean seriously

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/26/16 at 3:07 am

I agree. The horse has been beaten so much that it doesn't even look like a horse no more.

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/26/16 at 3:34 am

I agree. The horse has been beaten so much that it doesn't even look like a horse no more.

Just look at it as this new horse that's getting bea :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/26/16 at 6:17 am

Exactly, they were turning 14 in 1999 when. Pokemon got huge.  If you were born anytime in 85, be it early mid or late you turned 14.  Those a few months older or younger had the same early teen mind set. And you're right they could have been into Pokemon. What that guy was saying was mids 80s were probably a little old for it but few "particularly late 85 and 86 weren't too old". How can somebody just six months older be "too old", like there's any difference. No disrespect to him or anything but it was sort of foolish to say that. They all were basically the same age and anybody who was born that year who was into Pokemon was born in any giving month in 85, not just "late 85". Lol I mean seriously

There are a bunch of gamers who grew up with Nintendo in the early 90s (most notably early-mid 80s babies), and they still like Pokemon to this day. They probably have the entire series of the main Pokemon games.

Written By: Setemstraight on 09/27/16 at 4:12 am

There are a bunch of gamers who grew up with Nintendo in the early 90s (most notably early-mid 80s babies), and they still like Pokemon to this day. They probably have the entire series of the main Pokemon games.

Most of the people in their early 30s are playing Pokemon Go so that proves a lot.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/27/16 at 5:47 am

Most of the people in their early 30s are playing Pokemon Go so that proves a lot.

I guess so.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/27/16 at 8:53 am

Someone move this thread to the 80s section. Last time I heard, that section needed activity.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/27/16 at 7:11 pm

Isn't this decadology? And why is it on the 2000s forum anyway?

Check for new replies or respond here...