inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Emo" fashion and music

Written By: wixness on 10/15/16 at 6:08 pm

Just wanted to start this thread. Give your opinions.

Basically, I think this is one of the most exciting styles guys could wear, because it was a rather androgynous look especially because of the long hair, some of the outfits and the skinny stature. Other than that, it basically was a way for people to act against the status quo. I'm annoyed it got killed off in the early-mid 2010s.

Edited to include music and to keep the music nerds happy.

Subject: Re: Emo fashion

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 6:11 pm

Emo was the sh*t. I loved how it dominated the mid-late 2000s. Although, it was one of the genres that kept the 2000s alive.

Subject: Re: "Emo" fashion and music

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/15/16 at 11:20 pm

I have never liked Emo fashion or music. To be honest, I always viewed emos as being "dark" & "anti-social" and I could never understand the appeal of it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/16 at 11:46 pm

Is 'emo' the same as 'goth'?

Btw, nothing to do with 'emo'.  ;D

Written By: wixness on 10/16/16 at 2:40 am

For those of you who know about 80s music, you'll know what emo actually is. Note that I used scare quotes to refer to how everyone else uses it. So yeah, basically 2000s goth.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/16/16 at 2:52 am

I'll admit, I never got into emo music/fashion. However, if I had to choose, I would pick the emos over the hipsters, anyday. At least when the emo trend was going on, it wasn't infringing on every other style of clothing, like the hipster trend is currently doing. Since about 2012/2013, shopping for clothing has been an absolute nightmare for me. All thanks to the freaking hipster influence. >:(

And when it comes to the music, it's no contest. Even if I'm not a fan of emo music on the whole. there were some bands/songs that I could tolerate, and even find a bit enjoyable. And I can understand why people may enjoy emo music. Hipster indie music on the other hand are completely unbearable. I cannot, for the life of me understand why it has become so popular in the 2010s. It's nauseating and boring.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/16/16 at 3:02 am

I liked Emo before 2003...

For those of you who know about 80s music, you'll know what emo actually is. Note that I used scare quotes to refer to how everyone else uses it. So yeah, basically 2000s goth.

80's music, huh? Let's listen to some 80's emo!!

GYpWM-P6P5Y

rqsVc71Kqrk

Look at how depressing they all look! :P

http://www.punknews.org/images/bands/ritesofspring-1348076445.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c1_RX-3meQs/UIbB7DfBNBI/AAAAAAAADh4/H4KyCnmY7x0/s1600/dag+nasty+2.jpg

The purest form of emo! A bit before my time (1995-2002 was when I listened to current emo) but still some really good music.

Written By: wixness on 10/16/16 at 3:09 am

I liked Emo before 2003...

80's music, huh? Let's listen to some 80's emo!!

GYpWM-P6P5Y

rqsVc71Kqrk

Look at how depressing they all look! :P

http://www.punknews.org/images/bands/ritesofspring-1348076445.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c1_RX-3meQs/UIbB7DfBNBI/AAAAAAAADh4/H4KyCnmY7x0/s1600/dag+nasty+2.jpg

The purest form of emo! A bit before my time (1995-2002 was when I listened to current emo) but still some really good music.

I like the hair the guitarist has in the image

Written By: wixness on 10/16/16 at 3:10 am

I'll admit, I never got into emo music/fashion. However, if I had to choose, I would pick the emos over the hipsters, anyday. At least when the emo trend was going on, it wasn't infringing on every other style of clothing, like the hipster trend is currently doing. Since about 2012/2013, shopping for clothing has been an absolute nightmare for me. All thanks to the freaking hipster influence. >:(

And when it comes to the music, it's no contest. Even if I'm not a fan of emo music on the whole. there were some bands/songs that I could tolerate, and even find a bit enjoyable. And I can understand why people may enjoy emo music. Hipster indie music on the other hand are completely unbearable. I cannot, for the life of me understand why it has become so popular in the 2010s. It's nauseating and boring.

Totally agree. I blame Bieber and 1D for that awful 50s haircut though.

It's also why when guys do try to be emo, their hair is much shorter than before.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/16/16 at 5:05 am

Just wanted to start this thread. Give your opinions.

Basically, I think this is one of the most exciting styles guys could wear, because it was a rather androgynous look especially because of the long hair, some of the outfits and the skinny stature. Other than that, it basically was a way for people to act against the status quo. I'm annoyed it got killed off in the early-mid 2010s.

Edited to include music and to keep the music nerds happy.

I can't see the appeal of emo fashion. Most guys can't pull off the skinny jeans thing, especially if they are skinny to begin with. Punk style with the outrageous hairstyles, spiked jewelry, combat boots and leather jackets looks more interesting IMO.

No. Emo and goth were both born out of the punk scene and went their separate ways.

Emo is short for Emotive hardcore, a music style. The fashion is casual and androgynous. Long bangs in the face, maybe piercings, and tight black t-shirts and jeans worn with skate shoes or regular athletic shoes makes up the typical look.

Goth music has different styles. Darkwave, gothic rock, new wave, industrial, to name a few. Goth fashion ranges from elaborate to casual. There are Victorian inspired outfits complete with corsets and lace for the women, to more modern or casual attire, typically in all black. Heavy makeup tends to be worn. Male goths usually go for less elaborate of an appearance.

The common ground is in the use of black eyeliner, the spiked and studded jewelry, and the unfortunate stereotypes that members of both scenes are dark and angsty people, one that can be true of anybody.

Written By: wixness on 10/16/16 at 5:15 am

I can't see the appeal of emo fashion. Most guys can't pull off the skinny jeans thing, especially if they are skinny to begin with. Punk style with the outrageous hairstyles, spiked jewelry, combat boots and leather jackets looks more interesting IMO.

Who do you think can pull off skinny jeans? I say this as I refuse to wear baggy jeans that were so common back in the 2000s. I might live with slim fit jeans though since my calves and thighs don't look that pretty.

I understand the appeal of punk fashion, but the mohawk is a little impractical IMO and it accentuates the wearer's masculinity more than that of emo fashion. I would like more spiked jewelry and combat boots though, they're rather cool.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/16/16 at 5:28 am

Who do you think can pull off skinny jeans? I say this as I refuse to wear baggy jeans that were so common back in the 2000s. I might live with slim fit jeans though since my calves and thighs don't look that pretty.

I understand the appeal of punk fashion, but the mohawk is a little impractical IMO and it accentuates the wearer's masculinity more than that of emo fashion. I would like more spiked jewelry and combat boots though, they're rather cool.

Women.  ;) And glam rockers. Baggy jeans aren't flattering either, especially when past teen years. Sagging is never cool. Slim boot or straight jeans look good on men where they're fitted enough to not be baggy, but not skin tight either and look comfortable.

I prefer men to look like men to be honest. To each their own though.

Get some spiked jewelry and a pair of boots!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 8:43 am

Honestly, both cultures are similar, but goth culture has different interests in music and literature.

Written By: wixness on 10/16/16 at 9:44 am

Honestly, both cultures are similar, but goth culture has different interests in music and literature.

Emo just has the more cutesy clothes

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 10:11 am

Emo just has the more cutesy clothes

But don't both cultures wear all black, except for a few things?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/16/16 at 8:14 pm

If you guys want a history of Emo from 1984 to 2010 I will gladly share my knowledge. ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 8:35 pm

I have never liked Emo fashion or music. To be honest, I always viewed emos as being "dark" & "anti-social" and I could never understand the appeal of it.

It's like the same to me. Only the majority of them had Myspace profiles in the 2000s.

Written By: wixness on 10/17/16 at 2:16 am

For those of you not so keen on this look, what else would you recommend as a look for guys who want an androgynous and a somewhat revealing looks?

Written By: XYkid on 10/25/16 at 4:43 pm

I was an emo kid in junior high, leaned more towards scene in high school. During my senior year, I went through a phase where I got rid of all of my emo and scene stuff because I thought I had to grow up, also a lot of the kids in that scene at my school were jerks to me for no apparent reason.
Now I regret throwing all of that stuff away, because I'm still into it. I love that I live in Seattle, the weather and setting is so melancholy, it really helps my inner emo kid stay alive.

Written By: wixness on 10/26/16 at 5:48 am

I was an emo kid in junior high, leaned more towards scene in high school. During my senior year, I went through a phase where I got rid of all of my emo and scene stuff because I thought I had to grow up, also a lot of the kids in that scene at my school were jerks to me for no apparent reason.
Now I regret throwing all of that stuff away, because I'm still into it. I love that I live in Seattle, the weather and setting is so melancholy, it really helps my inner emo kid stay alive.

The only things stopping me from getting the look are the emo dad meme and biology. Also money and unavailability.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/26/16 at 5:51 am

I wish it's like that in New York, but I think they wouldn't care since they're into the mainstream so much.

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/16 at 10:24 pm

I need to cut my hair.

The popularity of emo fashion is over exaggerated. I remember maybe 2-3% of people actually looking emo, maybe 5% at its peak in 2006-2007 school year. By 2009-2010 school year it was extinct. Nonetheless, the music was fun and brings back the cheesy teenage vibes!

Written By: wixness on 11/07/16 at 4:23 am

I need to cut my hair.

The popularity of emo fashion is over exaggerated. I remember maybe 2-3% of people actually looking emo, maybe 5% at its peak in 2006-2007 school year. By 2009-2010 school year it was extinct. Nonetheless, the music was fun and brings back the cheesy teenage vibes!

Metal is heavy, but it ain't cute, nor does it make me feel sad. Emo fills in these gaps.

Check for new replies or respond here...