inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gameboy Advance SP

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/27/16 at 10:37 pm

I noticed that no one has created a thread based on the Gameboy Advance SP, so I thought it would be a good idea to create one. To be honest, I can't remember when exactly I first received my Gameboy Advance SP, however it was one of my favourite consoles as a kid. Whenever I think of it, it always reminds me of the Mid 2000s. Unfortunately, my Gameboy Advance SP was smashed by a baseball in 2008, so I no longer own the console. However, it used to look exactly like the console pictured below:

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/41BPY1X3SDL_zpshplfiwvv.jpg

Subject: Re: Gameboy Advance SP

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/27/16 at 11:32 pm

I never exactly owned my own SP. I borrowed one owned by my earliest friend by late 03. It was black we sadly lost by 05. It was truly a fun console to have.

I associate it exclusively with Super Mario Advance 4. The memories are pretty neat.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 5:56 am

I remember seeing a couple of these when I was in elementary school. My friend also had it in his house, and he actually let me play it. I remember playing Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and Pokemon Emerald on both his GBA SP and my DS Lite (since it supported GBA compatibility).  Needless to say, I liked the console a lot. If I were into video games during the mid 2000s, I would definitely had a GBA SP.

Written By: d90 on 11/28/16 at 2:03 pm

I noticed that no one has created a thread based on the Gameboy Advance SP, so I thought it would be a good idea to create one. To be honest, I can't remember when exactly I first received my Gameboy Advance SP, however it was one of my favourite consoles as a kid. Whenever I think of it, it always reminds me of the Mid 2000s. Unfortunately, my Gameboy Advance SP was smashed by a baseball in 2008, so I no longer own the console. However, it used to look exactly like the console pictured below:

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/41BPY1X3SDL_zpshplfiwvv.jpg

I got my Gameboy Advance when i was 12 years old and later on i got a Gameboy Advance SP.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/28/16 at 4:18 pm

I got my Gameboy Advance when i was 12 years old and later on i got a Gameboy Advance SP.

What did you do with your original GBA, after you got the GBA SP?

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/16 at 11:13 pm

The Dragon Ball Z RPGs on this were my everything.

Written By: d90 on 12/01/16 at 11:56 pm

What did you do with your original GBA, after you got the GBA SP?

I kept it so i could trade pokemon between the Gameboy Advance Pokemon games.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/02/16 at 5:52 am

I kept it so i could trade pokemon between the Gameboy Advance Pokemon games.

That seems cool. I remember when I used to have Pictochat, and I had my DS Lite talk to my DSi once.

Written By: d90 on 12/02/16 at 9:16 am

That seems cool. I remember when I used to have Pictochat, and I had my DS Lite talk to my DSi once.

Yeah I also had my Gameboy Advance Sp or Gameboy Advance link with my Gameboy Color for trading pokemon in Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/02/16 at 10:20 am

Yeah I also had my Gameboy Advance Sp or Gameboy Advance link with my Gameboy Color for trading pokemon in Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

I never thought of doing that, since I didn't have a duplicate cartridge while trading stuff in gameplay.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/02/16 at 4:10 pm

I never had an SP. I got an original Gameboy Advance in 2002, and just didn't feel compelled to upgrade to the SP after it launched.

On a different note, I really feel like the Gameboy Advance has become a totally underrated system. With all the talk lately about the greatness of the Nintendo DS and 3DS, it seems that some have forgotten just how great the game library for the GBA really was. Hell, the presence of Metroid Fusion on the GBA alone puts it in my upper echelon.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/02/16 at 4:37 pm

I never had an SP. I got an original Gameboy Advance in 2002, and just didn't feel compelled to upgrade to the SP after it launched.

On a different note, I really feel like the Gameboy Advance has become a totally underrated system. With all the talk lately about the greatness of the Nintendo DS and 3DS, it seems that some have forgotten just how great the game library for the GBA really was. Hell, the presence of Metroid Fusion on the GBA alone puts it in my upper echelon.

The GBA is at least better than the 3DS, in my opinion.

Written By: 2001 on 12/02/16 at 5:43 pm

Are we turning this into a DS/3DS vs. GBA system wars thread, 'cause I'll fight any of you with my Nintendo Power Gloves off.

Written By: d90 on 12/02/16 at 5:46 pm

Plus it's the last handheld dedicated to retro style games to be made and it can also play the Gameboy and Gameboy Color games.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/02/16 at 5:56 pm

Are we turning this into a DS/3DS vs. GBA system wars thread, 'cause I'll fight any of you with my Nintendo Power Gloves off.

lol, no. I actually like the DS and GBA. I also like some of the 3DS' games, but not as much as the DS nor the GBA.

Plus it's the last handheld dedicated to retro style games to be made and it can also play the Gameboy and Gameboy Color games.

Um... the DS actually provides backwards compatibility towards GBA games. Same goes for the 3DS, but the system provides it for DS games. 

Written By: d90 on 12/02/16 at 8:16 pm

Um... the DS actually provides backwards compatibility towards GBA games. Same goes for the 3DS, but the system provides it for DS games.

Yeah the backwards compatability part is true and both the DS and 3DS are pretty cool handhelds but the DS and 3DS don't have many new 8 bit and 16 bit games coming out like the Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance had.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/02/16 at 8:31 pm

Yeah the backwards compatability part is true and both the DS and 3DS are pretty cool handhelds but the DS and 3DS don't have many new 8 bit and 16 bit games coming out like the Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance had.

The GBA is sort of like 16-bit. It didn't really have any 8-bit games (graphical wise). Unless you're talking about the NES Classic collections, then that's a different story.

Written By: 2001 on 12/02/16 at 9:10 pm

The DS had mostly 2D games though, even if they didn't have a retro art style.

Written By: d90 on 12/02/16 at 11:19 pm

The GBA is sort of like 16-bit. It didn't really have any 8-bit games (graphical wise). Unless you're talking about the NES Classic collections, then that's a different story.

As far as 8 bit games I was talking about the  Game Boy and Gameboy Color.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/03/16 at 8:44 am

As far as 8 bit games I was talking about the  Game Boy and Gameboy Color.

Oh. I thought you meant something for the GBA, even though I don't really look at it as an 8bit console.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/03/16 at 4:49 pm

Great system with some amazing games! First got it in 2003 and I was hooked with games like;

http://s.emuparadise.org/GBA/boxart/1212.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/17/90/d1/1790d128cdef4254513a6fef8ef61336.jpg

http://dkvine.com/games/gallery/cache/artwork/dkc3gba/dkc3gba_boxart_front_595.png

http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/d/d6/MKSC.jpg/270px-MKSC.jpg

http://zeldawiki.org/images/thumb/9/93/ZeldaMinishCap_BoxArt.jpg/260px-ZeldaMinishCap_BoxArt.jpg

Amongst others

Check for new replies or respond here...