inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Back in the 2000s, How Did Your Parents react when they heard your Music?

Written By: TheRealBrianLeetch2 on 11/29/16 at 6:24 pm

This video just went viral on reddit. https://twitter.com/liv_lutz/status/803476680656482305

It's of a mother discovering her 8th Grade's Son (I am assuming 13 years old) spotify playlist. His was all rap (which I'm guessing is basically the norm for modern teens since rock doesn't seem to be mainstream anymore). The mother hates the music and thinks it's rotting his brain.

I was 13 in 2005 and when my parents heard my music they didn't flip but they didn't like it. I was heavily into the Killers (which my parents at first thought was a rap group, till I played All These Things That I've Done and Mr. Brightside for them), The Foo Fighters, Crossfade, Mastodon, Yellowcard, Metallica, Black Label Society (which they assumed was a satanic cult), All American Rejects, Jet, Wolfmother, Godsmack, Blink-182, etc.

My parents basically didn't care save for Blink-182 (I borrowed a friends Take Off Your Pants and Jacket CD and even I didn't realize they cursed that much. Still love the album though. I always laugh at Happy Hollidays you bastard). But my parents thought my music was too heavy so they didn't care for it but as happy I was into rock music and not 50 Cent or Eminem like most kids were. The only thing they objected to was my use of Limewire.

However, I remember a lot of parents were freaked out at the time. Many parents thought Godsmack, System of a Down, Slipnot and Black Label Society were satanist bands. I remember the vice principal stopping and asking a friend of my what Black Label Society was in circa 2004 because he wore a shirt to school. (The vice principal assumed it was a cult). I remember parents and teachers thought All-American Rejects were an anti-American band. (In 2005 with people torn over the Iraq war, people were on edge and accusing each other left and right about being anti-American or unpatriotic).

A lot of parents thought the kids who were into 50 cent, Lil John, Usher and Eminem were going to become gangsters and drug dealers. Paranoia over kids bringing guns to school was still high (mostly do to columbine), paranoia over kids doing crack existed.

At the time living through this was annoying. At 24 years old its funny to look back and laugh at it. That video brought me down memory lane.

What was your experience?

Subject: Re: Back in the 2000s, How Did Your Parents react when they heard your Music?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/29/16 at 6:41 pm

I was only a kid in the 2000s, but my parents were okay with me listening to Linkin Park and all the bands I listened to. Although, they thought it was inappropriate for me since my grandma was against swearing. But they didn't really mind it when she's not around. I never really had any drama with my parents just because I listened to explicit music.

Subject: Re: Back in the 2000s, How Did Your Parents react when they heard your Music?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/29/16 at 6:46 pm

Even though I wasn't a teen till the late 00s, my Mom thought the music was fun and some was kinda dark. :) My Dad thought it was all TRASH! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/29/16 at 6:50 pm

Even though I wasn't a teen till the late 00s, my Mom thought the music was fun and some was kinda dark. :) My Dad thought it was all TRASH! ;D ;D ;D

Same.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 11/29/16 at 7:08 pm

The things listening 50 Cent did to me 😱

First time was around 2003 or 2004. My friends were over and we were watching music videos on Yahoo! Music, and I had  P.I.M.P on, and my mom walks in on the exact moment 50 Cent gets panties thrown at him. She told everyone's parents and I wasn't allowed to close the door when they were over anymore  ;D

The other time was in 2004 or 2005. I had Candy Shop playing, and I didn't plug in my headphones in (no wonder it was so quiet!). The computer was just outside the living room, my parents heard everything lmao. My dad made me delete the song. What's weird is it came on the radio all the time but they didn't care then... Not paying attention  ::)

Other than that, they thought my dancing to Smack That by Akon was a bit inappropriate, but I was 14 and they didn't care anymore.

Written By: TheRealBrianLeetch2 on 11/29/16 at 8:39 pm

The things listening 50 Cent did to me 😱

First time was around 2003 or 2004. My friends were over and we were watching music videos on Yahoo! Music, and I had  P.I.M.P on, and my mom walks in on the exact moment 50 Cent gets panties thrown at him. She told everyone's parents and I wasn't allowed to close the door when they were over anymore  ;D

The other time was in 2004 or 2005. I had Candy Shop playing, and I didn't plug in my headphones in (no wonder it was so quiet!). The computer was just outside the living room, my parents heard everything lmao. My dad made me delete the song. What's weird is it came on the radio all the time but they didn't care then... Not paying attention  ::)

Other than that, they thought my dancing to Smack That by Akon was a bit inappropriate, but I was 14 and they didn't care anymore.

I remember having to use Yahoo! music to find music videos or you had to go to the bands website and they usually had Windows Media player files you could download of the music video (or simply stream) in the pre-youtube days. Yellowcard was nice enough to let everyone download and save them.

I remember a friend of mine's parents thought Way Away by Yellowcard was too heavy when I was showing my friend on his computer. They also didn't care for All My Life by the Foo Fighters either.

I wasn't a big 50 Cent fan other than the song 21 Questions.

Written By: 2001 on 11/29/16 at 9:45 pm

I remember having to use Yahoo! music to find music videos or you had to go to the bands website and they usually had Windows Media player files you could download of the music video (or simply stream) in the pre-youtube days. Yellowcard was nice enough to let everyone download and save them.

I remember a friend of mine's parents thought Way Away by Yellowcard was too heavy when I was showing my friend on his computer. They also didn't care for All My Life by the Foo Fighters either.

I wasn't a big 50 Cent fan other than the song 21 Questions.

Yay another Foo Fighters fan!  :D

What's wrong with All My Life though?  The screaming? :o What did they think of the metal bands you listed LOL

I burnt my friend's Ocean Avenue album, but I forgot to keep up with them after that (for the longest time, I thought Ocean Avenue was the band and Yellowcard was the album... mess). Breathing is way "heavier" than Way Away  ;) ;D

Before I discovered Limewire, I used to  record music by putting the microphone of my headphones up against the speakers (of the same headphones) while playing the song on Yahoo! Music  ;D I never thought to go to the website  :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/29/16 at 11:54 pm

For me, parental discontent over my music predates the 2000's by a few years.

I believe the first argument I had with one of my parents over music came sometime in late 1998. I was watching MTV in my room one afternoon, when my mom walks in to bug me about doing my homework just in time to see me watching some horrible Korn music video. I was 11 at the time, and she didn't think it was "appropriate" for me to be watching something like that, so I had to turn the TV off. A similar situation happened when she saw me watching the video for What's My Age Again? by Blink-182 (the video where they run around naked). ;D

I started getting into hip-hop in the late '90s as well, but was completely banned from watching those videos by my parents at one point because of the profanity and sexual content. I fondly remember when my cousin would sleepover and we would sneak down to the living room at 3 A.M. to watch the uncut versions of stuff like "The Next Episode" by Dr. Dre  and "X" by Xzibit on MTV. Good times. 8)

When it came to buying CDs, my parents didn't really meddle too much, and generally let me use my allowance money to buy what I wanted as I got older. I remember being at the mall with my dad one day in 2001 and plunking down $15 to buy a new copy of "Stankonia" from OutKast. He gave me a weird look, but I was almost 14 by that point, so I guess he figured I was old enough to "handle" it. The one thing I do remember about my dad is that he hated Limp Bizkit with a passion. When I wanted to get "Significant Other" on CD I swear he mocked me for like a week. He legitimately thought they were the worst band ever. Now, looking back on it as an adult, I totally agree with him. ;D

Written By: TheRealBrianLeetch2 on 11/30/16 at 9:44 am

Yay another Foo Fighters fan!  :D

What's wrong with All My Life though?  The screaming? :o What did they think of the metal bands you listed LOL

I burnt my friend's Ocean Avenue album, but I forgot to keep up with them after that (for the longest time, I thought Ocean Avenue was the band and Yellowcard was the album... mess). Breathing is way "heavier" than Way Away  ;) ;D

Before I discovered Limewire, I used to  record music by putting the microphone of my headphones up against the speakers (of the same headphones) while playing the song on Yahoo! Music  ;D I never thought to go to the website  :o

I'm listening to both Breathing and Way Away right now and I think Breathing is slightly heavier overall, just Way Away had the heavy breakdown (Letting out the noise inside of me! part). Way Away had an official video but Breathing only had a live video on Yellowcard's website so his parents likely never heard Breathing.

With All My Life they didn't like the "DONE! DONE! AND I'M ON TO THE NEXT ONE!" part. They thought it was too heavy. lol.

I don't recall if that day I ever played any of the heavier stuff on my friends computer. I know one time years later in circa 2007 my mom saw the video for Stillborn by Black Label Society on YouTube and she thought it was creepy lol.

Where I lived at the time in Florida, there was a lot of subdivisions and gated communities most of my friends parents were the preppy/yuppie early Gen Xers and later Baby Boomers. Most of them back in the 80s were more into Duran Duran, The Police, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, George Michael, Prince, Billy Idol, etc. So to them anything heavier than U2 was considered heavy. The above mentioned friend's parents was one of these. I remember his mom loved Duran Duran.

My mom was mostly into the same music. However my Dad was more into the music he heard in elementary and middle school such as Kansas, AC/DC, Boston (he loves Boston), Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Segar and The Eagles (he loves the Eagles). He did like U2, Asia, Bon Jovi and Guns and Rose though. But to him Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were a little too heavy. (He does like Enter Sandman though. Mostly because it was Mariano Rivera's walkout song). So usually growing up when it was just me and my dad in the car, he would put on the classic rock station which in the mid 2000s was mostly still late 70s rock. So I heard a lot of Springsteen and Boston growing up which I do like. When it was the whole family I had to listen to that 80's poprock crap...

Most of his co-workers who are also in their early 50s as well are more into the Duran Duran stuff and they playfully poke fun at him for liking Boston and stuff. I think one of his co-workers thinks Piece of Mind is too heavy lol.

Written By: Howard on 11/30/16 at 2:47 pm

The 2000's wasn't my kind of music but they think that kind of music was trash, they prefer the music they grew up with.

Written By: TheRealBrianLeetch2 on 11/30/16 at 8:28 pm

The 2000's wasn't my kind of music but they think that kind of music was trash, they prefer the music they grew up with.

As I've gotten older, I think majority people have a preference to the music they grew up on. Mainly the music people discover as a teen.

Personally I huge preference for 90s and 2000s rock and metal (except for emo, that was crap), but I also like some 70's and 80's rock and even a bit of 50's rockabilly and classic country (I can't stand 90's through modern country).

At 24 when I hear the 18-19 year olds at my college blast their modern rap and electronic music sometimes I think to myself "Dammit, back in my day we listened to good music like the Foo Fighters and Velvet Revolver! Not that crap you kids listen too!" then I realize "dammit... I'm old."

Written By: Ripley on 11/30/16 at 8:30 pm

My mom didn't mind the music I listened to. But she didn't care to listen to half of it lol

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/16 at 10:30 am

I'm listening to both Breathing and Way Away right now and I think Breathing is slightly heavier overall, just Way Away had the heavy breakdown (Letting out the noise inside of me! part). Way Away had an official video but Breathing only had a live video on Yellowcard's website so his parents likely never heard Breathing.

With All My Life they didn't like the "DONE! DONE! AND I'M ON TO THE NEXT ONE!" part. They thought it was too heavy. lol.

I don't recall if that day I ever played any of the heavier stuff on my friends computer. I know one time years later in circa 2007 my mom saw the video for Stillborn by Black Label Society on YouTube and she thought it was creepy lol.

Where I lived at the time in Florida, there was a lot of subdivisions and gated communities most of my friends parents were the preppy/yuppie early Gen Xers and later Baby Boomers. Most of them back in the 80s were more into Duran Duran, The Police, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, George Michael, Prince, Billy Idol, etc. So to them anything heavier than U2 was considered heavy. The above mentioned friend's parents was one of these. I remember his mom loved Duran Duran.

My mom was mostly into the same music. However my Dad was more into the music he heard in elementary and middle school such as Kansas, AC/DC, Boston (he loves Boston), Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Segar and The Eagles (he loves the Eagles). He did like U2, Asia, Bon Jovi and Guns and Rose though. But to him Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were a little too heavy. (He does like Enter Sandman though. Mostly because it was Mariano Rivera's walkout song). So usually growing up when it was just me and my dad in the car, he would put on the classic rock station which in the mid 2000s was mostly still late 70s rock. So I heard a lot of Springsteen and Boston growing up which I do like. When it was the whole family I had to listen to that 80's poprock crap...

Most of his co-workers who are also in their early 50s as well are more into the Duran Duran stuff and they playfully poke fun at him for liking Boston and stuff. I think one of his co-workers thinks Piece of Mind is too heavy lol.

Ah, so they hate the screaming  ;D

Your dad's music taste is badass. I'm jelly  :-X I'm surprised so many people there dislike even slightly heavy rock sounds though. It's been on the radio since forever!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/01/16 at 10:37 am

Ah, so they hate the screaming  ;D

Your dad's music taste is badass. I'm jelly  :-X I'm surprised so many people there dislike even slightly heavy rock sounds though. It's been on the radio since forever!

It was different during their generation. It wasn't dark as it used to be, compared to rock music since the 70s/80s.

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/16 at 10:54 am

It was different during their generation. It wasn't dark as it used to be, compared to rock music since the 70s/80s.

Late '70s / early '80s rock and metal is some heavy sh*t.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/01/16 at 1:49 pm

Late '70s / early '80s rock and metal is some heavy sh*t.  ;D

Hell yeah it is. It's WAY better than 50s rock, and probably defined the genre better.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/16 at 3:28 pm

As I've gotten older, I think majority people have a preference to the music they grew up on. Mainly the music people discover as a teen.

Personally I huge preference for 90s and 2000s rock and metal (except for emo, that was crap), but I also like some 70's and 80's rock and even a bit of 50's rockabilly and classic country (I can't stand 90's through modern country).

At 24 when I hear the 18-19 year olds at my college blast their modern rap and electronic music sometimes I think to myself "Dammit, back in my day we listened to good music like the Foo Fighters and Velvet Revolver! Not that crap you kids listen too!" then I realize "dammit... I'm old."

I cannot stand for the life of me listening to today's music! :P ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...