inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How did the Housing Bubble affect where you live?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/03/16 at 4:59 pm

I was reading this article in wikipedia recently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_housing_bubble, and it got me thinking about the major changes I personally seen during those years.

For me personally I grew up in New York City before moving out to the New Jersey suburbs in the mid 2000's. The town I moved to was already pretty well 'developed', with many housing projects built in the 50's & 60's in the center of town. But you had a huge influx of people during the Late 90's & 2000's coming into the more rural 'outskirts' of town, within former farms, being turned into housing developments. These communities ranging from condos to large family estates. My family personally just moved in a standard 60's style single family home (in which we have lived in since). A few people I actually went to elementary school with in NY, actually went to my middle school & high school in NJ which was pretty bizarre.

Did you guys see a similar population shift during the 2000's due to the high financial times during that era?

Subject: Re: How did the Housing Bubble affect where you live?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/03/16 at 6:04 pm

As a kid in the 2000s, I didn't really see a lot of differences during the housing bubble. I still reside in the house that my family lived in since I was a baby (late 1999, after I was born to be exact). So..., I never really paid attention towards anything financially towards my area.

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/16 at 12:08 pm

The bubble still hasn't popped here, if there is one.  :-\\

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/04/16 at 12:38 pm

The bubble still hasn't popped here, if there is one.  :-\\

Canada is in a HUGE housing bubble that WILL have economic ramifications in the future..

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/04/16 at 12:53 pm

I was a child of the housing bubble and FULLY experienced its effects and consequences...

My parents bought our childhood home, a 3500 square foot 6 bedroom 3 bathroom ranch styled home built in 1983 in a nice subdivison.... a huge 40x40 living room with a 15 foot cieling.... cost us 180,000 dollars and we closed on it and moved in January 2002.

My parents DID have a subprime mortgage when they first bought the house, but they changed mortgages to a traditional 30 year in 2004. My parents borrowed 50,000 out of home equity of our house in 2003 to help pay for my brother and I's therapy... something I still regret to this day yet I would not be functioning if it wasnt for that therapy... my parents however were not your typical family, they were very conservative and cautious with their money unlike others who lost their homes....

We did a huge $10,000 renovation of our house in the Summer of 2006 that upped the value of our house tremendously.

Our house's value peaked in 2006 at 330,000... if we would have sold it right then and there we would have had a big profit...

Our area, the Cincinnati Metropolitan Tri-State Area, had a very big housing and subdivision boom in the early to mid 2000s... they were going to build this HUGE subdivision off of Blue Rock Road in 2006.... Fort Scott... that subdivision got broken ground but it was literally a dead subdivison until around 2012 when they FINALLY started building it agian, but it would not be to the full plan envisioned....

Housing prices in our area peaked in mid 2006 and by late 2006 they were in a downward slide.... by 2007 the market dried up... I knew so many of my friends and everything had lsot their jobs, had to foreclose on their house... yet my family thorugh the "offical" great recession December 2007-June 2009 relatively unscathed... my dad kept his job... we kept our house...

Then MArch 2011 was when everything changed, my parents after bargaining with the bank for a year on our mortgage had to foreclose on our house.... and to get that off the record they had to declare bankruptcy as well... I... me... I was ripped out of my childhood home... the nieghborhood and home I had come to love so much... gone...

We moved to a MUCH smaller house.... we at least had somewhere to move but I hated it...

This all started my fascination with economics..

Not a day comes by where I do not blame our government, our polticians, the Federal Reserve and the ruthless big banks for creating this sheeshhole that average americans had to bear while they got off unscathed...

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/16 at 1:06 pm

Canada is in a HUGE housing bubble that WILL have economic ramifications in the future..

It looks like it. People were talking about housing bubbles in the early 2010s, but it didn't turn out to be true, but in the past few years the prices have really jumped.

http://www.torontohomes-for-sale.com/account/461083ac0e597a15/pages/2578_7.gif

Written By: Slim95 on 12/04/16 at 1:39 pm

Houses are damn expensive where I live and I don't see that changing anytime.

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/07/16 at 11:53 am

Anyone else feel the effects?

Hey! This discussion beats debating about when generations start! :)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/07/16 at 12:37 pm

No, our family and I was lucky. But I heard about it all over the news.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/07/16 at 1:17 pm

I was a child of the housing bubble and FULLY experienced its effects and consequences...

My parents bought our childhood home, a 3500 square foot 6 bedroom 3 bathroom ranch styled home built in 1983 in a nice subdivison.... a huge 40x40 living room with a 15 foot cieling.... cost us 180,000 dollars and we closed on it and moved in January 2002.

My parents DID have a subprime mortgage when they first bought the house, but they changed mortgages to a traditional 30 year in 2004. My parents borrowed 50,000 out of home equity of our house in 2003 to help pay for my brother and I's therapy... something I still regret to this day yet I would not be functioning if it wasnt for that therapy... my parents however were not your typical family, they were very conservative and cautious with their money unlike others who lost their homes....

We did a huge $10,000 renovation of our house in the Summer of 2006 that upped the value of our house tremendously.

Our house's value peaked in 2006 at 330,000... if we would have sold it right then and there we would have had a big profit...

Our area, the Cincinnati Metropolitan Tri-State Area, had a very big housing and subdivision boom in the early to mid 2000s... they were going to build this HUGE subdivision off of Blue Rock Road in 2006.... Fort Scott... that subdivision got broken ground but it was literally a dead subdivison until around 2012 when they FINALLY started building it agian, but it would not be to the full plan envisioned....

Housing prices in our area peaked in mid 2006 and by late 2006 they were in a downward slide.... by 2007 the market dried up... I knew so many of my friends and everything had lsot their jobs, had to foreclose on their house... yet my family thorugh the "offical" great recession December 2007-June 2009 relatively unscathed... my dad kept his job... we kept our house...

Then MArch 2011 was when everything changed, my parents after bargaining with the bank for a year on our mortgage had to foreclose on our house.... and to get that off the record they had to declare bankruptcy as well... I... me... I was ripped out of my childhood home... the nieghborhood and home I had come to love so much... gone...

We moved to a MUCH smaller house.... we at least had somewhere to move but I hated it...

This all started my fascination with economics..

Not a day comes by where I do not blame our government, our polticians, the Federal Reserve and the ruthless big banks for creating this sheeshhole that average americans had to bear while they got off unscathed...

Damn thats insane! My family was fortunate enough to not have lost their jobs (although FWIW their Baby Boomers who were already in their respected companies for decades, so they'd be the LAST in line of the chopping block). Our home did lose value though from roughly 2007-2012 or so. It has recently bounced back since 2013, but currently in 2016 the price is slightly under what it was when we moved in 11 years ago.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 1:29 pm

Damn thats insane! My family was fortunate enough to not have lost their jobs (although FWIW their Baby Boomers who were already in their respected companies for decades, so they'd be the LAST in line of the chopping block). Our home did lose value though from roughly 2007-2012 or so. It has recently bounced back since 2013, but currently in 2016 the price is slightly under what it was when we moved in 11 years ago.

I kinda had the same thing with my house, except that people thought my family was going to sell our house. It was a bit annoying, even though I only told them that it's not for sale. They stopped coming to my family's street since last year, but I'm not sure if they still want to buy the house.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/07/16 at 1:36 pm

I kinda had the same thing with my house, except that people thought my family was going to sell our house. It was a bit annoying, even though I only told them that it's not for sale. They stopped coming to my family's street since last year, but I'm not sure if they still want to buy the house.

Yeah my family has actually been thinking about selling our house recently, so we'll see what happens! Interest rates are at record lows so this is the perfect time to sell your house and get a pretty decent deal of it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 1:44 pm

Yeah my family has actually been thinking about selling our house recently, so we'll see what happens! Interest rates are at record lows so this is the perfect time to sell your house and get a pretty decent deal of it.

My family doesn't want to sell our house, since they don't really have anywhere else to go. Plus, it would be a pain in the ass to move my dad since he doesn't move that much. Unless he was on a wheelchair.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/16 at 3:01 pm

My family doesn't want to sell our house, since they don't really have anywhere else to go. Plus, it would be a pain in the ass to move my dad since he doesn't move that much. Unless he was on a wheelchair.

My Father a few years ago wanted to sell the house but he changed his mind and we decided to just keep the house we've living in now for 43 years.

Written By: 2001 on 12/07/16 at 4:52 pm

My parents like to move every 5-7 years. I think I'm going to be like them, lol. It's boring to stay in one place for too long.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/07/16 at 5:53 pm

My parents like to move every 5-7 years. I think I'm going to be like them, lol. It's boring to stay in one place for too long.

I've lived in the same house for more than 11 years now.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/07/16 at 10:50 pm

Yeah same here, moved to my current house 11 years ago. Before that I lived in a brownstone in Brooklyn from age 4 upto age 9. Before that I lived in a single family home in Long Island from birth to age 4.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/16 at 3:08 pm

I don't mind staying here, everything I have is at it's convenience.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/16 at 3:09 pm

I've lived ion the same house for 44 years.

Written By: 2001 on 12/08/16 at 3:33 pm

I don't mind staying here, everything I have is at it's convenience.

New York,  right?

Written By: Howard on 12/08/16 at 4:04 pm

New York,  right?

Yes. :)

Written By: 2001 on 12/08/16 at 5:18 pm

Yes. :)

Is it like an urban area, everything is in walking distance?

Written By: Howard on 12/09/16 at 7:15 am

Is it like an urban area, everything is in walking distance?

It's a quiet neighborhood when it wants to be and just about everything is in walking distance.

Written By: 2001 on 12/09/16 at 1:50 pm

It's a quiet neighborhood when it wants to be and just about everything is in walking distance.

That sounds nice. I don't like living in the suburbs. A big house is nice but I don't like having to drive everywhere :( At least my town is bike friendly, that's pleasant.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/16 at 3:31 pm

That sounds nice. I don't like living in the suburbs. A big house is nice but I don't like having to drive everywhere :( At least my town is bike friendly, that's pleasant.

This neighborhood over the past 40 years has had it's moments of when it can be quiet to some days during the summertime when they have outside parties and it can be boisterous.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/09/16 at 3:35 pm

This neighborhood over the past 40 years has had it's moments of when it can be quiet to some days during the summertime when they have outside parties and it can be boisterous.

Sometimes, my neighborhood is like that as well. It's more annoying with some of them having parties at 11pm, while most of my neighbors are sleeping. It's not that bad though, since they don't do it often.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/16 at 3:59 pm

Sometimes, my neighborhood is like that as well. It's more annoying with some of them having parties at 11pm, while most of my neighbors are sleeping. It's not that bad though, since they don't do it often.

It gets annoying during the Summer when they have night parties or when they blast their car speaker music.  ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/09/16 at 4:47 pm

I have lived in the suburbs all my life. I don't know what it would be like to live anywhere else. The thing I hate is waiting for the busses to come in the cold -40 weather every day.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/16 at 7:19 am

I have lived in the suburbs all my life. I don't know what it would be like to live anywhere else. The thing I hate is waiting for the busses to come in the cold -40 weather every day.

I know what you mean, I hate waiting in the snow for the buses, I wind up having to wait in the street for them. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 12/10/16 at 9:00 am

Ugh same! My toes freeze right off :(

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/16/16 at 8:09 am

Exactly.... it was an insane situation that drastically affected my late childhood... and in effect started my coming of age. 2011-2013 were the worst years of my life.... and while this was the main reason that I can of age and or started coming of age.... I still cannot really get over it.

My parents lost both their jobs in 2012 and 2013... we did not get a taste of stability until 2014...

Written By: Catherine91UK on 12/22/16 at 7:59 am

The previous owner of my flat (who used to rent it out) sold it to me this year for less than she bought it for in 2006!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/22/16 at 11:12 pm

The previous owner of my flat (who used to rent it out) sold it to me this year for less than she bought it for in 2006!

Damn, well at least you got a pretty good deal on it! Like I said before, but now is the best time to be house hunting. The economy is rebounding, rates are pretty low, and you could get good deals on homes that are technically worth more than what they're being marketed at.

How you liking it?

Written By: Catherine91UK on 12/29/16 at 9:47 am

Damn, well at least you got a pretty good deal on it! Like I said before, but now is the best time to be house hunting. The economy is rebounding, rates are pretty low, and you could get good deals on homes that are technically worth more than what they're being marketed at.

How you liking it?

It's very nice thanks! :D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/29/16 at 2:11 pm

It's very nice thanks! :D

Thats great to hear :)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 12/29/16 at 2:12 pm

For anybody who's interested about recent trends in the housing market this is a pretty good article to read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/where-we-live/wp/2016/12/27/what-to-expect-in-the-housing-market-in-2017/?utm_term=.0d803f650c0b

Check for new replies or respond here...