inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2007 was a weird year

Written By: the2001 on 12/06/16 at 4:54 pm

anyone else agree?

Subject: Re: 2007 was a weird year

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/06/16 at 4:59 pm

Not that much, but it still felt like a classic 2000s year, imo.

Written By: 2001 on 12/06/16 at 5:21 pm

We've just been through 2*16 and you want us to agree that 2007 was weird.. bruh.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/16 at 5:22 pm

Nope, it was just like any other year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/06/16 at 5:27 pm

We've just been through 2*16 and you want us to agree that 2007 was weird.. bruh.

Well, it might be sane with 2017 coming.  :-\\

Written By: 2001 on 12/06/16 at 5:28 pm

Well, it might be sane with 2017 coming.  :-\\

Once you guys go 100% North Korea I won't have to hear news from your country. That would be some semblance of sanity  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/16 at 5:31 pm

Not really. It was pretty standard 00's year!  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/06/16 at 5:36 pm

Once you guys go 100% North Korea I won't have to hear news from your country. That would be some semblance of sanity  ;D

I think you shouldn't read a lot of news from the U.S., since most of the headlines would be sh*t related to Trump for the next four years.

Written By: 2001 on 12/06/16 at 5:39 pm

I think you shouldn't read a lot of news from the U.S., since most of the headlines would be sh*t related to Trump for the next four years.

It's not like Europe is any better.  :-\\

Canada... the last country standing. Except yesterday Trou d'eau said we shouldn't go through with electoral reform because this least squares math equation was too complicated.

http://rabble.ca/sites/rabble/files/resize/node-images/er-550x155.jpg

Mess.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/06/16 at 5:47 pm

Yeah. I can't stand looking of what Europe's doing on the news. Especially with Germany.

Canada... the last country standing. Except yesterday Trou d'eau said we shouldn't go through with electoral reform because this least squares math equation was too complicated.

Mess.

Was the MR obsessed with algebraic equations?

Written By: the2001 on 12/06/16 at 5:50 pm

Not really. It was pretty standard 00's year!  8)

for the first 4 or 5 months

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/16 at 5:57 pm

Mess.

That's too much brain work for me. I'm hiding now.  :(

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/06/16 at 6:02 pm

It was the year where the iPhone came out, the year where Tumblr came out (blech), the year where Obama began his presidential campaign, and the year where the global financial crisis began.

I'd say it was the year that marked the real "shift" from the mid 00s to the late 00s, though I know someone here is going to go up to me and say "No, you're wrong".

Written By: 2001 on 12/06/16 at 6:14 pm

for the first 4 or 5 months

What happened in the summer?

Written By: the2001 on 12/06/16 at 6:20 pm

What happened in the summer?

culture shifted , also beniot single handly killed wrestling,
IPhone came out and sheesh just felt weird.

They year kicked off weird AF with Brittney Spears shaving her head and going insane.

Written By: 2001 on 12/06/16 at 6:29 pm

They year kicked off weird AF with Brittney Spears shaving her head and going insane.

That was 2007? Shiieet I remember that, I only liked him because he was Canadian LOL. Eddie Guererro dying was already a huge blow though.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/06/16 at 8:02 pm

I think there isn't one year I personally remember feeling so transformative as 2007, so in a sense, yes, it was quite a weird year. There just seemed to be such an onslaught of new technology either becoming standard (online web series as primary entertainment, cell phone culture, i-products, seventh-generation video games, flatscreens) or first being truly introduced (smartphones, Netflix video service, HD video, blu-rays, video conferences, etc.). It still had a distinctly noughties aesthetic, but the ways in which it functioned seemed unbelievably modern to me at the time. Truly, I'm in awe that 2007 is already almost a decade old.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/06/16 at 8:03 pm

It was the year where the iPhone came out, the year where Tumblr came out (blech), the year where Obama began his presidential campaign, and the year where the global financial crisis began.

I'd say it was the year that marked the real "shift" from the mid 00s to the late 00s, though I know someone here is going to go up to me and say "No, you're wrong".

Frankly, I agree with this. Even if 2007 was one of my favorite years of the decade. Although politically, I would care less about it. BTW, Tumblr didn't really turn into a piece of sh*t until 2013, when SJW culture started to rise.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/07/16 at 12:13 am

"Weird" in what way? 2007 is probably my favourite year of all time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 6:30 am

"Weird" in what way? 2007 is probably my favourite year of all time.

Maybe weird in a cultural or political way.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/07/16 at 10:43 am

It wasn't weird at all just a typical 2000s year. It was a ''modern 00s'' year but still, 00s.
2009 though, that struck me as a weird year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 10:51 am

It wasn't weird at all just a typical 2000s year. It was a ''modern 00s'' year but still, 00s.
2009 though, that struck me as a weird year.

2009 was nothing more than part 1 of 2010, but without iPads.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/07/16 at 1:26 pm

I think there isn't one year I personally remember feeling so transformative as 2007, so in a sense, yes, it was quite a weird year. There just seemed to be such an onslaught of new technology either becoming standard (online web series as primary entertainment, cell phone culture, i-products, seventh-generation video games, flatscreens) or first being truly introduced (smartphones, Netflix video service, HD video, blu-rays, video conferences, etc.). It still had a distinctly noughties aesthetic, but the ways in which it functioned seemed unbelievably modern to me at the time. Truly, I'm in awe that 2007 is already almost a decade old.

2007 did see a lot of changes.  It was the calm before the storm economically.  I remember attitudes shifting to become significantly more liberal in 2007.  Of course, in technology we completed the shift from Web 1.0 to 2.0.  The iPhone came out (though it was a novelty and we didn't truly enter the smartphone era until 2010).  Yet, there was a lot about it that was still very classic '00s.  Scene culture was very big that year (probably the biggest for All Time Low).  If you were male and in your teens or twenties, you had long, shaggy hair.  Emo was still more than relevant and MySpace was still the dominant social media platform.  There was very little that was 2010s about that year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 1:40 pm

2007 did see a lot of changes.  It was the calm before the storm economically.  I remember attitudes shifting to become significantly more liberal in 2007.  Of course, in technology we completed the shift from Web 1.0 to 2.0.  The iPhone came out (though it was a novelty and we didn't truly enter the smartphone era until 2010).  Yet, there was a lot about it that was still very classic '00s.  Scene culture was very big that year (probably the biggest for All Time Low).  If you were male and in your teens or twenties, you had long, shaggy hair.  Emo was still more than relevant and MySpace was still the dominant social media platform.  There was very little that was 2010s about that year.

As much as I honestly have to say it, but 2007 felt rather like a classic '00s year. There were a few modern '00s influences in the year, but 2008 and 2009 made it significant. Stuff like the iPod touch (which probably caught people's eyes more than the iPhone back then, since it was more basic), and Youtube made it more modern '00s within our society.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/07/16 at 1:42 pm

As much as I honestly have to say it, but 2007 felt rather like a classic '00s year. There were a few modern '00s influences in the year, but 2008 and 2009 made it significant. Stuff like the iPod touch (which probably caught people's eyes more than the iPhone back then, since it was more basic), and Youtube made it more modern '00s within our society.

I agree.  Also, YouTube was very different at the time.  Today, you won't find as many amateurish "home videos" on YouTube like you did back then.  The type of videos people upload to Facebook or Instagram would have been posted on YouTube back then.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 1:48 pm

I agree.  Also, YouTube was very different at the time.  Today, you won't find as many amateurish "home videos" on YouTube like you did back then.  The type of videos people upload to Facebook or Instagram would have been posted on YouTube back then.

Except those videos would be longer and would've been made with Windows Movie Maker. Everyone nowadays uses Sony Vegas to become famous on Youtube. It seems unfair, since not everybody has Sony Vegas preinstalled on their computer, even if they have Windows. At least people would be more acceptable, since everybody back then had Windows Movie Maker. Now, it just mattered if you used all the modern memes to become funny everytime you make a video.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/07/16 at 2:00 pm

2007 is not as classic of an 00s year as 2004 and 2005 is (or even 2003 and the early 2000s years for that matter) but it's not a 2010s year yet either. The same can be said for 2006. 2006 and 2007 were pretty much the same, but 2008 was the year everything transformed.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 2:14 pm

2007 is not as classic of an 00s year as 2004 and 2005 is (or even 2003 and the early 2000s years for that matter) but it's not a 2010s year yet either. The same can be said for 2006. 2006 and 2007 were pretty much the same, but 2008 was the year everything transformed.

2006 was like part 2 of 2005, but the only months that kinda felt like 2007 was in September to December.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/07/16 at 2:52 pm

2006 was like part 2 of 2005, but the only months that kinda felt like 2007 was in September to December.

I agree with this.

Personally I think things stayed pretty consistent from around the summer of 2004 through the summer of 2006, but the feel did start to change a bit in the closing months of 2006.

I think one of the things that marked this shift in addition to the technology aspects usually discussed is the coming of age of Millennials and the cultural shift leftward.  It really seemed like we were making progress back then as a society.  2007-2010 are probably the most "liberal" years in recent memory and people weren't quite as uptight about it.  Millennials were a lot more idealistic at the time vs today many of the same people who propelled Obama to the White House in 2008 have become cynical and more conservative.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/16 at 2:55 pm

I don't get the question.  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/07/16 at 2:57 pm

Benoit didn't kill wrestling, he killed himself and his family. He can't blame anybody or anything except himself.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/07/16 at 4:24 pm

I agree with this.

Personally I think things stayed pretty consistent from around the summer of 2004 through the summer of 2006, but the feel did start to change a bit in the closing months of 2006.

I think one of the things that marked this shift in addition to the technology aspects usually discussed is the coming of age of Millennials and the cultural shift leftward.  It really seemed like we were making progress back then as a society.  2007-2010 are probably the most "liberal" years in recent memory and people weren't quite as uptight about it.  Millennials were a lot more idealistic at the time vs today many of the same people who propelled Obama to the White House in 2008 have become cynical and more conservative.

It's like they thought conservatives spoke the truth, even though those people probably insulted them so much.

Written By: the2001 on 12/07/16 at 5:24 pm

I agree with this.

summer 2004- september 2006 had the same vibe, I would say somewhere in the middle of October of 2006 things felt very 2007 ish despite alot things ending in mid 2006 such as that 70's show, Suncoast, Walden books, SamGoody, Introduction of TheFacebook to non College users

Written By: Slim95 on 12/07/16 at 5:51 pm

summer 2004- september 2006 had the same vibe, I would say somewhere in the middle of October of 2006 things felt very 2007 ish despite alot things ending in mid 2006 such as that 70's show, Suncoast, Walden books, SamGoody, Introduction of TheFacebook to non College users

Well summer 2003 to summer 2004 was the same too.

Written By: the2001 on 12/07/16 at 5:54 pm

Well summer 2003 to summer 2004 was the same too.

How so?

Written By: the2001 on 12/07/16 at 5:55 pm

Benoit didn't kill wrestling, he killed himself and his family. He can't blame anybody or anything except himself.

Alot of people stopped watching WWE after that happened

Written By: Slim95 on 12/07/16 at 5:56 pm

How so?

Well the mid 2000s started in 2003 and the same vibe continued on into 2004.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/16 at 3:10 pm

Alot of people stopped watching WWE after that happened

I know, they changed into PG afterwards.

Written By: the2001 on 12/08/16 at 5:49 pm

Well the mid 2000s started in 2003 and the same vibe continued on into 2004.

I view 2007 as the last grasp of true 2000s culture, after mid april it was over

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/08/16 at 9:21 pm

Totally agree about 2007. Even though there are certainly things about it that seem "modern", '07 is definitely a classic '00s year to me.

Yes, the iPhone launched that year, but the price of it (and early smartphones in general) was far to high for it to be anything more than a toy for rich kids. 99% of the population still used flip-phones in 2007, myself included. Also (and it'll be interesting to see if others had the same experiences as I did here), but social media seemed considerably different back in 2007 compared to today. Both YouTube and Twitter were still in their infancies, and the primary user bases of both MySpace and the fledgling Facebook were both still what they were intended to be: i.e. high school and college aged kids, unlike today where 40-year-old soccer moms seem to be the dominant force.

Musically, I would say that 2007 is more "classically" '00s than 2008 and especially 2009. In '07, Ringtone Rap acts (like Jibbs, Soulja Boy and Huey) were still very popular, and mainstream Rock was still dominated by stereotypically '00s genres like Emo and Post-Grunge.

From a political standpoint, the country was obviously getting more liberal, as the popularity of Barack Obama rose constantly throughout the year and George W. Bush's approval ratings hit record lows, but that wasn't a shift unique to 2007. The country had arguably been shifting left since the summer of 2005, when GWB's popularity first plummeted, particularly after the Hurricane Katrina fiasco.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/08/16 at 10:56 pm

Totally agree about 2007. Even though there are certainly things about it that seem "modern", '07 is definitely a classic '00s year to me.

Yes, the iPhone launched that year, but the price of it (and early smartphones in general) was far to high for it to be anything more than a toy for rich kids. 99% of the population still used flip-phones in 2007, myself included. Also (and it'll be interesting to see if others had the same experiences as I did here), but social media seemed considerably different back in 2007 compared to today. Both YouTube and Twitter were still in their infancies, and the primary user bases of both MySpace and the fledgling Facebook were both still what they were intended to be: i.e. high school and college aged kids, unlike today where 40-year-old soccer moms seem to be the dominant force.

Musically, I would say that 2007 is more "classically" '00s than 2008 and especially 2009. In '07, Ringtone Rap acts (like Jibbs, Soulja Boy and Huey) were still very popular, and mainstream Rock was still dominated by stereotypically '00s genres like Emo and Post-Grunge.

From a political standpoint, the country was obviously getting more liberal, as the popularity of Barack Obama rose constantly throughout the year and George W. Bush's approval ratings hit record lows, but that wasn't a shift unique to 2007. The country had arguably been shifting left since the summer of 2005, when GWB's popularity first plummeted, particularly after the Hurricane Katrina fiasco.

It wasn't the 2010s yet, but as I remember it, being able to watch online web series as legitimate entertainment or just checking out any of your favorite cute little videos instantaneously felt like such a big deal in 2007. Wikipedia was already standardized around the end of 2005, but in combination with the expansion of social media, YouTube, and other Web 2.0 innovations, experiencing popular culture in 2007 was so much more rapid, cosmopolitan, personalized, and diversified than ever before. Suddenly, all sorts of new possibilities were sprouting for how we perceived the world or made things out of what we were given. I might be a little biased because I started high school in 2007, but I was already feeling the encroaching transformation throughout 8th grade as well.

The technological changes from around the turn of this decade weren't as significant to me because they were mostly just all about the increased mobilization of our activities, rather than the drastic expansion of what was actually possible in the first place, as the 2005-2007 breakthroughs were. Suddenly finding myself regularly watching Angry Video Game Nerd or ScrewAttack Top 10's, self-educating myself through Wikipedia, recording podcasts with my Internet forum friends via Skype, or being consistently up to date with whatever my general classmates were up to during my spare time was so much more impactful to me than just looking things up on my iPhone. Before the iPhone made it big, I already listened to my music on the go with my iPod mini during the mid-2000s and iPod Nano in the late 2000s. Texting was far from a new phenomenon when the iPhone became more popular. If I wanted to play video games on the go, I'd just bring along my Game Boy or DS.

2007 may not have really been distinguishable from the mid-2000s in a stylistic or musical sense, but thanks to the new technologies that grew popular around the time, it nonetheless functioned like such a different era than the true classic 00s were, especially by the second half.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/09/16 at 12:14 pm

These songs capture the feel of 2007 quite nicely.

GcNiKCmWdYE

oQOIJDE3RhA

WEYMaSoXQUM

a1B2oO6D1ps

EbJtYqBYCV8

26WBT1ZdLdc

Written By: the2001 on 12/10/16 at 1:57 pm

It wasn't the 2010s yet, but as I remember it, being able to watch online web series as legitimate entertainment or just checking out any of your favorite cute little videos instantaneously felt like such a big deal in 2007. Wikipedia was already standardized around the end of 2005, but in combination with the expansion of social media, YouTube, and other Web 2.0 innovations, experiencing popular culture in 2007 was so much more rapid, cosmopolitan, personalized, and diversified than ever before. Suddenly, all sorts of new possibilities were sprouting for how we perceived the world or made things out of what we were given. I might be a little biased because I started high school in 2007, but I was already feeling the encroaching transformation throughout 8th grade as well.

The technological changes from around the turn of this decade weren't as significant to me because they were mostly just all about the increased mobilization of our activities, rather than the drastic expansion of what was actually possible in the first place, as the 2005-2007 breakthroughs were. Suddenly finding myself regularly watching Angry Video Game Nerd or ScrewAttack Top 10's, self-educating myself through Wikipedia, recording podcasts with my Internet forum friends via Skype, or being consistently up to date with whatever my general classmates were up to during my spare time was so much more impactful to me than just looking things up on my iPhone. Before the iPhone made it big, I already listened to my music on the go with my iPod mini during the mid-2000s and iPod Nano in the late 2000s. Texting was far from a new phenomenon when the iPhone became more popular. If I wanted to play video games on the go, I'd just bring along my Game Boy or DS.

2007 may not have really been distinguishable from the mid-2000s in a stylistic or musical sense, but thanks to the new technologies that grew popular around the time, it nonetheless functioned like such a different era than the true classic 00s were, especially by the second half.

I have seen this before but 2007 is its own self contained year

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/10/16 at 2:04 pm

I have seen this before but 2007 is its own self contained year

It also transitioned the 2000s into the modern 2000s to me.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/10/16 at 3:50 pm

I wouldn't say it was weird, but I do agree it was a transnational year. I find it crazy how 2007 is pretty much 10 years old! :o

Yeah, it was modern in a way, but it was definitely still a classic. People could only access the web, social media and Youtube through a PC since the smartphone craze didn't take off for a few more years. The pop culture in general was similar to 2006 and prior. The 7th game consoles were now in full force with Wii in the lead. The internet was still broadband. The atmosphere definitely was not as dark and depressing as it is today. OT Iraq and the Virginia shooting, I don't remember any other terrible events occurring that year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/10/16 at 3:54 pm

I wouldn't say it was weird, but I do agree it was a transnational year. I find it crazy how 2007 is pretty much 10 years old! :o

Yeah, it was modern in a way, but it was definitely still a classic. People could only access the web, social media and Youtube through a PC since the smartphone craze didn't take off for a few more years. The pop culture in general was similar to 2006 and prior. The 7th game consoles were now in full force with Wii in the lead. The internet was still broadband. The atmosphere definitely was not as dark and depressing as it is today. OT Iraq and the Virginia shooting, I don't remember any other terrible events occurring that year.

2007 may seem like the first year where it looked modern, but it's more related towards 2004-2006 towards technology and pop culture. It wasn't until 2008 when I saw an iPhone in real life for the first time.

Written By: 2001 on 12/10/16 at 5:19 pm

Man where'd all that time go  :o

Written By: bchris02 on 12/11/16 at 5:15 pm

2007 was the "calm before the storm" in terms of current events.  The economy was still mostly good that year, but recession was on the horizon and everybody knew it.  In terms of politics, I remember that being the year that Bush-fatigue really started to set in and Bush's approval rating plummeted, at first more due to the seemingly endless war in Iraq than the economy.

Culturally, it was to the '00s what 1997 was to the '90s.  1997 still had a very classic '90s feel to it but it was a bit more modern.  It wasn't quite Y2K era yet though as music and fashion was still closer to 1995 than 2000.  In the same way, 2007 still felt very '00s yet was a little more modern. Music and fashion was more like 2005 than 2010.  Emo and scene were still the thing that year and hipster had not made its way into most people's vocabulary (that started in 2009 as far as I can remember).

In terms of gaming, I remember 2007 being the beginning of the "dark age" of PC gaming that lasted for the most part through the 7th-gen console era.  It was the era of AAA developers moving away from the PC and nearly every title released for it was a poorly-optimized, buggy port of the Xbox 360 version.  Indie developers, through Steam, saved PC gaming a few years later.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/11/16 at 5:41 pm

2007 was the "calm before the storm" in terms of current events.  The economy was still mostly good that year, but recession was on the horizon and everybody knew it.  In terms of politics, I remember that being the year that Bush-fatigue really started to set in and Bush's approval rating plummeted, at first more due to the seemingly endless war in Iraq than the economy.

Culturally, it was to the '00s what 1997 was to the '90s.  1997 still had a very classic '90s feel to it but it was a bit more modern.  It wasn't quite Y2K era yet though as music and fashion was still closer to 1995 than 2000.  In the same way, 2007 still felt very '00s yet was a little more modern. Music and fashion was more like 2005 than 2010.  Emo and scene were still the thing that year and hipster had not made its way into most people's vocabulary (that started in 2009 as far as I can remember).

In terms of gaming, I remember 2007 being the beginning of the "dark age" of PC gaming that lasted for the most part through the 7th-gen console era.  It was the era of AAA developers moving away from the PC and nearly every title released for it was a poorly-optimized, buggy port of the Xbox 360 version.  Indie developers, through Steam, saved PC gaming a few years later.

Yeah I agree with all of this.

Written By: the2001 on 12/11/16 at 6:11 pm

First half of 2007 felt a tad bit classic 2000s, (2002-2006) while the second half felt closer to 2008 - 2009

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/15/16 at 10:01 pm

Also, I believe 2007 is where artists started to constantly use AutoTune in their music, thanks to T-Pain releasing his popular second album.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/15/16 at 10:12 pm

Also, I believe 2007 is where artists started to constantly use AutoTune in their music, thanks to T-Pain releasing his popular second album.

That was 2008. It had its roots in 2007 though. Forever by Chris Brown was one of the first song that had that sound.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/16/16 at 3:35 pm

2007 may seem like the first year where it looked modern, but it's more related towards 2004-2006 towards technology and pop culture. It wasn't until 2008 when I saw an iPhone in real life for the first time.
And in general. Everyone still couldn't search anything quickly unless they were on a PC. The fashion had not changed yet, and the vibe was not as dark as today.

Man where'd all that time go  :o
I know! It's crazy.

Yeah, I remember that very well. Many things were affordable and everyone (who lost their jobs and their home) were still employed, and had a place. Oh, I know. That's when people soon realize it was mistake to reelect him in the first place where by next year, we had Obama's "Yes we can!" campaign.

Yes, it was. The atmosphere was clearly the same as 2004-06.

Not just that, but it's also the year where everything related to gaming began all the unnecessary things being DLC, updates, and hold your hand games.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/16 at 3:54 pm

As I've mentioned before, 2007 was the year where, after showing signs of decline in 2006, Nick, Disney, and CN finally, officially "died" according to some, due to a number of poor decisions that happened throughout 07.

Frankly, they were okay in 2007 (except for Disney Channel, but at least we had Toon Disney). They were showing a bit of decline, but it wasn't worse until late 2008/early 2009.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/16/16 at 3:59 pm

Frankly, they were okay in 2007 (except for Disney Channel, but at least we had Toon Disney). They were showing a bit of decline, but it wasn't worse until late 2008/early 2009.

That's why I said "according to some" ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 4:02 pm

Disney, Nick and all those other channels went downhill in 2006. When High School Musical came out that's when Disney started declining badly.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 4:09 pm

You're Canadian, how would you know that? ;D Canada's Nick, Disney, and CN, from what I've seen, are not those channels, but rather clones of those channels (YTV, Family Channel, Teletoon).

Because we get American telivision here. I've seen all the same shows from those channels you've seen in the U.S.. It doesn't matter if they are clones, same shows, same thing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/16 at 4:29 pm

Disney, Nick and all those other channels went downhill in 2006. When High School Musical came out that's when Disney started declining badly.

2006 was like the last year when Disney Channel was actually good. It was all infested with Hannah Montana reruns by the time it was popular in the late 2000s. Disney TV was only good with Toon Disney, until they rebranded themselves as Disney XD in early 2009.

Written By: 2001 on 12/16/16 at 6:51 pm

You're Canadian, how would you know that? ;D Canada's Nick, Disney, and CN, from what I've seen, are not those channels, but rather clones of those channels (YTV, Family Channel, Teletoon).

We didn't get that much CN stuff. At least the cartoons you guys talk about, I haven't watched half of them and the other half I watched mostly while vacationing in Europe/Asia ;D

YTV has some Nick stuff, but it mostly does its own thing. It has a lot of anime too.

I never watched Family Channel much. It does look to be a "clone" of Disney Channel, though.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/16 at 7:16 pm

We didn't get that much CN stuff. At least the cartoons you guys talk about, I haven't watched half of them and the other half I watched mostly while vacationing in Europe/Asia ;D

YTV has some Nick stuff, but it mostly does its own thing. It has a lot of anime too.

I never watched Family Channel much. It does look to be a "clone" of Disney Channel, though.

Family channel had a mix of Disney, Nick, and other networks including its own exclusive content as well. But definitely the big majority of the shows on Family were Disney shows. It's like the Canadian Disney channel.

Written By: 2001 on 12/17/16 at 3:48 pm

Family channel had a mix of Disney, Nick, and other networks including its own exclusive content as well. But definitely the big majority of the shows on Family were Disney shows. It's like the Canadian Disney channel.

Yeah, Family was the sitcom channel (which was mostly Disney). Teletoons was the cartoon channel. YTV was the everything that's awesome channel ;D

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 12/30/16 at 4:33 pm

2007 was my favourite year, I was 17. I was happy with the state of technology, it was modern enough, I don't notice much difference. Hell, in 2005 I was accessing webpages from my Sagem my5-2. I often say 2007 was my favourite year out of 2006-2010. I wish I could start from back then.

I agree with everything that has been said about 2007 feeling modern and it being hard to believe it was 10 years ago. Some of those videos linked are in HD or otherwise high quality and it's funny when people in the comments section (probably kids) don't realise how "old" the videos are and then do and post a comment on it.

In a lot of ways I think we are at an interesting and unique point in the technology curve.

For perspective, compare 2007 to 1997 and look how different it looked and felt. Then compare (what will be) 2017 to 2007 (or even earlier)and there doesn't seem as many differences. Everything felt so clean and modern from 2006 on wards to me.

These songs capture the feel of 2007 quite nicely.

GcNiKCmWdYE

oQOIJDE3RhA

WEYMaSoXQUM

a1B2oO6D1ps

EbJtYqBYCV8

26WBT1ZdLdc

Written By: Slim95 on 12/30/16 at 4:47 pm

For perspective, compare 2007 to 1997 and look how different it looked and felt. Then compare (what will be) 2017 to 2007 (or even earlier)and there doesn't seem as many differences. Everything felt so clean and modern from 2006 on wards to me.

For me 2008 onwards was when everything felt modern. 07' was the last truly dated/old school year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/30/16 at 4:49 pm

For me 2008 onwards was when everything felt modern. 07' was the last truly dated/old school year.

Same. 2007 was like a mid-late 2000s hybrid year, to be honest.

Written By: the2001 on 04/13/17 at 12:43 pm

Same. 2007 was like a mid-late 2000s hybrid year, to be honest.

I feel the same way tbh with you, the Iphone coming out in May that year gave it a modern feel,
with alot of shows having ended in late 2006, 2007 seemed fresh, Facebook started getting really
popular in Late February of 2007, I also remember HBO starting to suck this year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/13/17 at 12:46 pm

I feel the same way tbh with you, the Iphone coming out in May that year gave it a modern feel,
with alot of shows having ended in late 2006, 2007 seemed fresh, Facebook started getting really
popular in Late February of 2007, I also remember HBO starting to suck this year.

HBO was still good throughout the late 2000s, despite the end of The Sopranos and The Wire. It became more overrated when Game of Thrones premiered.

Written By: the2001 on 04/13/17 at 12:48 pm

HBO was still good throughout the late 2000s, despite the end of The Sopranos and The Wire. It became more overrated when Game of Thrones premiered.

I think right now FX is overtaking HBO
if you look at the awards of networks FX is always beating HBO

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/13/17 at 12:50 pm

I think right now FX is overtaking HBO
if you look at the awards of networks FX is always beating HBO

FX and AMC always kicked HBO's ass since Mad Men premiered. That's what I can tell you.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/29/17 at 1:37 pm

Nah. 2009 was weird. Not 2007.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/17 at 3:37 pm

Nah. 2009 was weird. Not 2007.
As weird as any other year?

Written By: Bab2781 on 09/26/17 at 2:11 pm

2007 was one of the greatest years of my life. My daughter was born and also the films and music were also great that year.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/26/17 at 2:24 pm

2007 was one of the greatest years of my life. My daughter was born and also the films and music were also great that year.

2007 was the greatest year of my life as well.

Written By: John Titor on 10/03/17 at 6:43 pm

As weird as any other year?

Its just that 2007 was a VERY watered down version of 2006, missing all the charm and carefreeness
that was 2006

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/06/17 at 5:11 pm

Its just that 2007 was a VERY watered down version of 2006, missing all the charm and carefreeness
that was 2006

I was a much happier year than 2006 was. Lots of up and coming artists that loads 2 people loved, TV was killing it, and the film box office was busy as it ever was.

Check for new replies or respond here...