inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Forgotten Shows of the Y2K Era: 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/29/16 at 4:27 pm

Alright folks, this is the first post in a new series looking back on shows I grew up watching in the late '90s and early '00s that have become completely forgotten. While most of them don't hold up very well, some of them are actually pretty good, and it'll be a fun trip down memory lane just the same.

Today, we start things off with...

100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd

Network: Nickelodeon
Original Run: October 16, 1999 - April 21, 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3MZEDNBiUA

Out of all the live action shows to air on Nickelodeon, an argument could be made that 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd is the strangest. For those that don't remember, the story went like this. A punkass teenage bully that likes to pick on smaller kids runs into some kind of mystical old shaman/drifter who turns him into a dog as a punishment for his sins, and won't turn him back into a human until he does exactly 100 good deeds.

I mean, seriously? WTF? What kind of weird Y2K era acid trip of a plot is that? Still, despite it's oddness, the show really wasn't that bad. Seth Green played the voice of Eddie in some of the later episodes, while Richard Moll from Night Court played The Drifter, and Joe Piscopo and Squiggy from Laverne & Shirley both voiced other neighborhood dogs. Danny Tamberelli was on there as well. Each individual episode revolves around Eddie carrying out another of the 100 good deeds that he must do in order to become human again, and over the course of the show, Eddie becomes close to Justin Taylor, a kid that he bullied as a human who has now become his owner (who saw that coming ;D).

Sadly for Eddie, the show was cancelled in 2002, after making only 40 episodes. Meaning that Eddie will forever be 60 more deeds short of becoming a human again. :\'(

Subject: Re: Forgotten Shows of the Y2K Era: 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/16 at 6:46 pm

Despite this being filmed in Canada, I don't think it ever aired here :o

The premise of that show is eerily similar to Billy The Cat,  a Franco-Belge cartoon that aired here (in English) from 1996 to 2001. Billy is a kid who was liked torturing cats, and a shaman transforms him into a cat to teach him a lesson. Unlike Eddie McDowd, though, I don't remember him ever being promised a return to human form. Billy basically lives in the alley ways and junkyards and learns the harsh realities of living as a feral cat.

aGHFMT-j1ts

Written By: Slim95 on 12/30/16 at 1:31 am

Disney's "Totally Hoops" and "Totally Circus". "Bug Juice" as well was one that I remember clearly.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/30/16 at 1:45 am

Some of these are clearly forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sQBy-eYEHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edimDWbPl0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSgy8Loi1c8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/30/16 at 1:55 am

Here's more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2zwh05rkME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtjoajJWidE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8ZtFEh8j8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCAM0OdwWNQ

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/31/16 at 10:31 pm

Out of all the live action shows to air on Nickelodeon, an argument could be made that 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd is the strangest. For those that don't remember, the story went like this. A punkass teenage bully that likes to pick on smaller kids runs into some kind of mystical old shaman/drifter who turns him into a dog as a punishment for his sins, and won't turn him back into a human until he does exactly 100 good deeds.

Each individual episode revolves around Eddie carrying out another of the 100 good deeds that he must do in order to become human again, and over the course of the show, Eddie becomes close to Justin Taylor, a kid that he bullied as a human who has now become his owner (who saw that coming ;D).

Sounds like a bizarre, yet perversely heartwarming and touching way of teaching an anti-bullying message.

I'm serious!

Subject: Re: Forgotten Shows of the Y2K Era: NASCAR Racers

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/07/17 at 9:54 pm

Now it's time for the second part in my award-winning Forgotten Shows of the Y2K Era series, and I really had to dig deep for this one.

NASCAR Racers

Network: Fox Kids
Original Run: November 20, 1999 - March 24, 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQTPWAaLpjI

This has to be one of the most obscure Y2K era kid shows out there. I watched this briefly on Saturday mornings when I was in 7th grade, but I had honestly forgotten it even existed until I came across this episode on YouTube.

The story line is pretty strange in it's own right. It's like a futuristic version of NASCAR where the drivers from Team Fastex race in these gigantic domed tracks, all the while doing battle with the evil Team Rexcor, a ruthless group of drivers who will do anything to win a race. This show made it's debut in 1999, which was at the height of the late '90s, Jeff Gordon fueled NASCAR boom, and is certainly one of the more "unique" shows of it's era.

I'll be quite shocked (and, frankly, impressed) if any of you guys here remember this forgotten show.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/09/17 at 7:03 am

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century - Sept 18, 1999 to July 21, 2001
VyGAc-OLAiQ

Zack Files - Sept 17, 2000 to May 5, 2002
iyvIbIv-ABg

Mickey's Mouse Works - May 1, 1999 to December 16, 2000
nR6MzMNq1N8
(this intro isn't in English, but I used it since it's in better quality)

The New Adventures of Woody Woodpecker  - May 8, 1999 to March 28, 2002
8N8XJXvMmAk

The PJs - Jan 10, 1999 to Jan 8, 2002
k1tMr5yEwM0

Action League Now! - Nov 25, 2001 to Feb 10, 2002
GihnbWsv_1U

The Bob Clampett Show - April 14 2000 to Jun 20, 2001
FxDqFKmEqy0

Action Man - Aug 5, 2000 to 2002
Uvt8a8wUZj8

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 4:21 pm

Now it's time for the second part in my award-winning Forgotten Shows of the Y2K Era series, and I really had to dig deep for this one.

NASCAR Racers

Network: Fox Kids
Original Run: November 20, 1999 - March 24, 2001

This has to be one of the most obscure Y2K era kid shows out there. I watched this briefly on Saturday mornings when I was in 7th grade, but I had honestly forgotten it even existed until I came across this episode on YouTube.

The story line is pretty strange in it's own right. It's like a futuristic version of NASCAR where the drivers from Team Fastex race in these gigantic domed tracks, all the while doing battle with the evil Team Rexcor, a ruthless group of drivers who will do anything to win a race. This show made it's debut in 1999, which was at the height of the late '90s, Jeff Gordon fueled NASCAR boom, and is certainly one of the more "unique" shows of it's era.

I'll be quite shocked (and, frankly, impressed) if any of you guys here remember this forgotten show.

That sounds like a show I would've been interested in, though sadly I never heard of it until now :o

I loved Zack Files, Woody Woodpecker and Mickey Mouse Works :D The latter two aren't very "forgotten" ;D

Subject: Re: Forgotten Shows of the Y2K Era: Cybersix

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 5:32 pm

Cybersix

Network: Télétoon / Fox Kids
Original Run: September 6 - October 23, 1999

EkC6thC8sY0

From IMDb

Cybersix is the name of genetically created female made by the malicious Dr.Von Reichter. She is one of many individuals in the "Cyber-series" who are all ultimately terminated because of their innate humanity and sense of good. However, before she can be destroyed, she escapes from Von Reichter and hides in regular society disguised as a male high school teacher, Adrian Seidelman. She eventually teams up with "Data 7", another of Von Reichter's creations. Data 7 is, in fact, her brother Cyber 29, who was killed in an accident and had his consciousness transplanted into a panther. Together, they work to thwart the plans of Von Reichter, his son Jose and their genetic mutation army. Throughout, Cybersix tries to maintain her secret identity from her close friend and co-worker, Lucas Amato. As well, she constantly debates her existence and what it all means, since she knows full well that she is not actually human, but a genetic creation.

The plot in this is completely whack. It's an action-packed cartoon with an amazing art-style, starring a bad ass android who is tasked with defeating an evil boy genius from abducting citizens to create his cybergenetic mutant army that form a part of his crime ring.  What's not to like!

If you liked Artemis Fowl, one of my favourite childhood book series (published in the early 2000s too!), you'll love this. I love any show with an evil boy genius. ;D

It's also very similar to Batman Beyond (another Y2K era show)!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/14/17 at 8:33 pm

Cybersix

Network: Télétoon / Fox Kids
Original Run: September 6 - October 23, 1999

EkC6thC8sY0

From IMDb

The plot in this is completely whack. It's an action-packed cartoon with an amazing art-style, starring a bad ass android who is tasked with defeating an evil boy genius from abducting citizens to create his cybergenetic mutant army that form a part of his crime ring.  What's not to like!

If you liked Artemis Fowl, one of my favourite childhood book series (published in the early 2000s too!), you'll love this. I love any show with an evil boy genius. ;D

It's also very similar to Batman Beyond (another Y2K era show)!

Great selection!

Oddly, I actually kinda think I remember this show. It certainly looks familiar. If it did air on Fox Kids then I probably have seen it before because I used to watch Fox Kids religiously on Saturday mornings in 1999.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/29/17 at 9:11 pm

Is it just me or am I the only person that remembers Caitlin's Way!?

o6XO3ec3u38

Written By: anything on 02/18/17 at 12:53 am

If it did air on Fox Kids then I probably have seen it before because I used to watch Fox Kids religiously on Saturday mornings in 1999.

It did, but it was in 2000, not 1999.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 7:03 pm

I remember the dog show! I hated that they cancelled it without him becoming a human again! But I think he did!

Written By: Slim95 on 02/27/17 at 9:59 pm

I remember there was a segment on ABC Kids called "One Saturday Morning". I clearly remember watching that every Saturday morning with my siblings. They aired a lineup of Disney shows, and oddly enough after all these years, I still clearly remember the jingle in my head! And this ended in 2000.

Check for new replies or respond here...