inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You know you're old when you remember (00s version)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/10/17 at 6:20 pm

Same as the 90s one.

9/11
Iraq War
6th gaming Generation
The 2000 election
Ipods
MSN
Wonderballs
Xtreme and wacky trends

Subject: Re: You know you're old when you remember (00s version)

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/10/17 at 6:25 pm

Same as the 90s one.

9/11

That disqualifies everyone here under 20. :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/10/17 at 6:27 pm

That disqualifies everyone here under 20. :P
But that was only one event. There were more than just that occurrence,

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/10/17 at 6:53 pm

VHS/DVD war
Golden age of the Internet
Windows XP
AIM

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/17 at 7:54 pm

It's too soon for this thread when we have 21 year olds who remember the entirety of the 2000s, and they are anything but old ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/10/17 at 8:30 pm

It's too soon for this thread when we have 21 year olds who remember the entirety of the 2000s, and they are anything but old ;D
Not exactly. There are some people who don't remember the early 00s outside of the childhood trends.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/11/17 at 6:49 am

I don't consider the 2000s decade old just yet, since 2000 is still less than 20 years ago. Its more "remember when there was?" than YKYOWUR at this point, unlike say the '80s on back, where for someone to remember the Iran Hostage Crisis, Lennon's assassination, the original boom in slasher/horror films, primitive home video systems like CED and DiscoVision, many cars still with round headlamps alongside the newer rectangular ones on the road and the Midnight Special from the start of the decade would have to be over 40 (preferably 45 to remember it more clearly) as of this post. But still, the '00s are now long enough where today's preteens (10-12) can't remember any part of the '00s, except for possibly 2009 and it can be a lesson for "what you missed out on" for them, just like how back in the late '90s it was for me with discovering a more complete picture of the '80s when that decade's nostalgia was in its infancy, and I certainly didn't consider the '80s old back in the late '90s unlike I do today.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/11/17 at 1:51 pm

I don't consider the 2000s decade old just yet, since 2000 is still less than 20 years ago. Its more "remember when there was?" than YKYOWUR at this point, unlike say the '80s on back, where for someone to remember the Iran Hostage Crisis, Lennon's assassination, the original boom in slasher/horror films, primitive home video systems like CED and DiscoVision, many cars still with round headlamps alongside the newer rectangular ones on the road and the Midnight Special from the start of the decade would have to be over 40 (preferably 45 to remember it more clearly) as of this post. But still, the '00s are now long enough where today's preteens (10-12) can't remember any part of the '00s, except for possibly 2009 and it can be a lesson for "what you missed out on" for them, just like how back in the late '90s it was for me with discovering a more complete picture of the '80s when that decade's nostalgia was in its infancy, and I certainly didn't consider the '80s old back in the late '90s unlike I do today.
Oh, I totally understand the 2000s are generally not old yet; however, there are many things and events from that era that are pretty much considered outdated at this point which could make most people see the period as old-fashioned despite it still being modern.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 1:57 pm

Uhh.....

Written By: Howard on 01/11/17 at 2:50 pm

Not exactly. There are some people who don't remember the early 00s outside of the childhood trends.

I remember the early 00's because I'm over the age of 21.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/17 at 2:52 pm

AOL Instant Messenger
Playstation 2
MSN

Written By: Lizardmatum on 01/11/17 at 3:45 pm

When below 11 year olds did not generally have a mobile phone
When Myspace and Bebo were popular
When social media did not consume our everyday lives
When Disposable cameras were popular

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/11/17 at 5:17 pm

You know you're old when you remember...

- Pluto being the ninth planet in the Solar System and the term "dwarf planets" didn't exist.
- Being genuinely excited about receiving/buying the PS2 and thinking it was "the best console out".
- Black Eyed Peas being a chart-topper.
- When wearing dark clothing was viewed as being "cool".
- Tech decks.
- Owning the first ever Leapfrog handheld console.
- Having vivid memories of at least one year of the Early 2000s.
- Listening to music through a portable CD player, instead of your smartphone.
- Crazy Frog
- The Nokia ringtone being the most popular ringtone.
- Burning movies/TV shows onto disc, instead of downloading things onto a USB.
- Using Limewire to download music.
- Britney Spears being in the peak of her career.
- VHS being relevant.
- All of the kids movies in rental/DVD stores being on video, instead of DVD.
- Rental/DVD stores being referred as "video stores".
- The 2000s before Facebook, Twitter and YouTube came into existence.
- Myspace being the most popular social media website.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/11/17 at 10:39 pm

I remember the early 00's because I'm over the age of 21.
Good one! ;)

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/17 at 10:44 pm

I guess, remembering what airport security was like before 9/11. I remember a lot less security checks and other nuisances before 2001. After that, it all changed.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/12/17 at 7:41 am

Agency (TV drama)
Leap of Faith (sitcom)
Blue Crush
Serving Sara
Ashanti
Silver-colored "skate cooters"
Vanessa Carlton
Kelly Llorenna
The revival of the game show Twenty One

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/12/17 at 5:36 pm

Holy s. I remember the Wonder Ball candy now. I had to think for a second as I was opening Google on another tab and it hit me right then and there.

I don't recall ever having one, but I was fascinated by them.

Written By: 2001 on 02/12/17 at 10:41 pm

I was checking if it was a snow day for my little sister (still in elementary school) tomorrow, and my first instinct was to check the social media page of my local school board. The idea that they school boards would even dabble in something "fun" and informal like a social media account hit me then and there ;D

In the late 1990s / early 2000s, when we suspected a snow day, we had to wake up at 6:30AM~7AM and listen for an announcement on the radio (my Power Rangers alarm clock also had a radio  8)). I'm not sure if the school board even had a website ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/13/17 at 7:52 am

When you fondly look back on the foods and drinks you miss such as: Pepsi Blue, DnL, Pitch Black Mtn Dew, and collecting those Sobe glass bottles and other juices and teas that came in cool bottles. Hershey's Swoops and peanut butter Cadbury eggs also make the list.

When you still had an old fashioned TV and when PPV events had to be heard instead of seen unless you knew someone with a unscrambler device.

When Napster was popular and still legal for a short time. My online social life in 9th grade consisted of chatting with different people on that and waiting ages on songs to download.

Kids at school plastering those free I Am Loved pins all over their backpacks and jackets.

Skater sneakers and how cool they looked.

Armloads of colorful jelly bracelets.

Those annoying Heely's shoes that got banned from nearly every public place in a short time.

Homemade keychains made of beads. Lizards being a popular one.

I was checking if it was a snow day for my little sister (still in elementary school) tomorrow, and my first instinct was to check the social media page of my local school board. The idea that they school boards would even dabble in something "fun" and informal like a social media account hit me then and there ;D

In the late 1990s / early 2000s, when we suspected a snow day, we had to wake up at 6:30AM~7AM and listen for an announcement on the radio (my Power Rangers alarm clock also had a radio  8)). I'm not sure if the school board even had a website ;D

It would sometimes take a while to come on the news if our district had the day off, so I'd be getting ready as usual and hoping!

When below 11 year olds did not generally have a mobile phone
When Myspace and Bebo were popular
When social media did not consume our everyday lives
When Disposable cameras were popular

Social media was more primitive and recreational than all consuming like it is now. Before Myspace there was Livejournal and Xanga. LJ was big with fandoms and writers, while Xanga had more of a teenage population that blogged about everyday mundane life. If you wanted to talk to a friend online after school you waited for them to appear online on AIM, YIM, or MSN.

I had big time envy for those who owned digital cameras back then. I was ecstatic when I finally got one in 2007! Still, you had to use the bathroom mirror for selfies and the camera was also in the shot. It was both inconvenient yet worth the wait for your film to develop with the old cameras, still common place through at least the early 2000s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/17 at 10:27 am

I remember that all too well. We had a big snow here in early January 2002 (on the Monday morning we were supposed to return from Christmas break no less) and I remember waking up at 6 AM that morning having no idea if we had to go to school or not. Because we live in a small town with no TV/radio stations, we wound up having to call the office at my high school to see if classes had been cancelled (thankfully, they had 8)).

Written By: Howard on 02/13/17 at 2:42 pm

When you fondly look back on the foods and drinks you miss such as: Pepsi Blue, DnL, Pitch Black Mtn Dew, and collecting those Sobe glass bottles and other juices and teas that came in cool bottles. Hershey's Swoops and peanut butter Cadbury eggs also make the list.

When you still had an old fashioned TV and when PPV events had to be heard instead of seen unless you knew someone with a unscrambler device.

When Napster was popular and still legal for a short time. My online social life in 9th grade consisted of chatting with different people on that and waiting ages on songs to download.

Kids at school plastering those free I Am Loved pins all over their backpacks and jackets.

Skater sneakers and how cool they looked.

Armloads of colorful jelly bracelets.

Those annoying Heely's shoes that got banned from nearly every public place in a short time.

Homemade keychains made of beads. Lizards being a popular one.

It would sometimes take a while to come on the news if our district had the day off, so I'd be getting ready as usual and hoping!
Social media was more primitive and recreational than all consuming like it is now. Before Myspace there was Livejournal and Xanga. LJ was big with fandoms and writers, while Xanga had more of a teenage population that blogged about everyday mundane life. If you wanted to talk to a friend online after school you waited for them to appear online on AIM, YIM, or MSN.

I had big time envy for those who owned digital cameras back then. I was ecstatic when I finally got one in 2007! Still, you had to use the bathroom mirror for selfies and the camera was also in the shot. It was both inconvenient yet worth the wait for your film to develop with the old cameras, still common place through at least the early 2000s.

I sure do remember all those.  :)

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 4:26 pm

Swayzak the evil computer virus!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/10/18 at 3:44 pm

Bumped for new responses! :)

Written By: wixness on 03/10/18 at 4:40 pm

- When free 2D games were web games and not smartphone apps
- When most people would have downloaded their music offline or bought CDs to listen to music
- When long hair on guys was cool
- When rock music was cool
- When the Wii and Nintendo DS were really advanced for their time
- When phones had keyboards designed for two thumbs maximum and not 10 digits maximum (fingers and thumbs), and texting was the primary means of talking to your friends
- When "gay" was still used widely as an insult, and something to be avoided as being seen
- When desktop monitors and TVs were square, sometimes a box

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/11/18 at 5:55 pm

- When free 2D games were web games and not smartphone apps
- When most people would have downloaded their music offline or bought CDs to listen to music
- When long hair on guys was cool
- When rock music was cool
- When the Wii and Nintendo DS were really advanced for their time
- When phones had keyboards designed for two thumbs maximum and not 10 digits maximum (fingers and thumbs), and texting was the primary means of talking to your friends
- When "gay" was still used widely as an insult and something to be avoided as being seen
- When desktop monitors and TVs were square, sometimes a box
This!

Written By: 2001 on 03/11/18 at 6:23 pm

I still think it's too soon. You're not old if you remember the 2000s. :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/11/18 at 6:27 pm

I still think it's too soon. You're not old if you remember the 2000s. :P
How about the early 00s? There are many users here who don't remember that era.

Written By: 2001 on 03/11/18 at 6:33 pm

How about the early 00s? There are many users here who don't remember that era.

The adult trends yeah, but not the kid trends. You can be 23 and still remember the entire 2000s. That post by Riven, you can be under 20 and still remember all of those.

I guess if we're talking about adult trends, it would be things like
* Having to use those punchcards when you came into work. I remember my teachers having to use those.
* Having to apply for jobs by handing in résumés in person. I know some people still do this, but around 2000 this was a necessity. Almost no one took résumés by email or online.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/11/18 at 6:37 pm

The adult trends yeah, but not the kid trends. You can be 23 and still remember the entire 2000s. That post by Riven, you can be under 20 and still remember all of those.

I guess if we're talking about adult trends, it would be things like
* Having to use those punchcards when you came into work. I remember my teachers having to use those.
* Having to apply for jobs by handing in résumés in person. I know some people still do this, but around 2000 this was a necessity. Almost no one took résumés by email or online.
Yeah, the adult and teen trends are part of this too.

Wasn't that still common up until 2010?

Written By: 2001 on 03/11/18 at 6:47 pm

Yeah, the adult and teen trends are part of this too.

Wasn't that still common up until 2010?

It's still common today. I'm saying that in the Y2K era it was pretty much the only way, unless the job was far away.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/11/18 at 6:52 pm

It's still common today. I'm saying that in the Y2K era it was pretty much the only way unless the job was far away.
Oh, I see. Yeah, I agree it's common because a job I applied for a few weeks ago only has in-person applications and no online ones; however, I have known about that place for 5 years though.

Written By: Dapper99 on 03/25/18 at 7:52 pm

•3D Pinball Space Cadet
•crunk rap
•Invader Zim, The Wild Thornberrys, Hey Arnold, Rugrats, early Spongebob, Drake and Josh,
•GameCube, transition from 6 gen consoles to 7th gen
•spiky hair, cornrows
•when the 70s was 30 years ago and the 80s were 20 years ago
•baggy jeans were mainstream
•Nokia’s and flip phones
  ::) ::)

Written By: d90 on 03/25/18 at 8:05 pm

You know you're old when you remember...

- Pluto being the ninth planet in the Solar System and the term "dwarf planets" didn't exist.

- Being genuinely excited about receiving/buying the PS2 and thinking it was "the best console out".
- Black Eyed Peas being a chart-topper.
- When wearing dark clothing was viewed as being "cool".
- Tech decks.
- Owning the first ever Leapfrog handheld console.
- Having vivid memories of at least one year of the Early 2000s.
- Listening to music through a portable CD player, instead of your smartphone.
- Crazy Frog
- The Nokia ringtone being the most popular ringtone.
- Burning movies/TV shows onto disc, instead of downloading things onto a USB.
- Using Limewire to download music.
- Britney Spears being in the peak of her career.
- VHS being relevant.
- All of the kids movies in rental/DVD stores being on video, instead of DVD.
- Rental/DVD stores being referred as "video stores".
- The 2000s before Facebook, Twitter and YouTube came into existence.
- Myspace being the most popular social media website.
remembering the nine planets with My Very Enthusiastic Mother Just Served Us Nine pizzas
Hitclips
Gameboy Colors

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/25/18 at 8:43 pm

We're not old.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/18 at 5:19 am

We're not old.

I'm in my prime.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/26/18 at 2:08 pm

- When you remember the Dreamcast being on store shelves
- The very first Shrek commercials
- The moment when things like Youtube was just starting (or even what layout it used to have)
- Rock and Punk culture were still part of the mainstream
- When you remember Pokemania
- When Trap music had first began and had a somewhat different sound to what is has today
- When all forms of electronic music wasn't called "EDM"
- When Harry Potter first showed up in commercials
7eHwrIMjH6YKUSuJVLzQsk
- And just being able to remember every year of the 2000s as a whole really.

Not all of these things count as "old", but it is funny how none of these relate to anything in 2018 now.

Check for new replies or respond here...