inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Misconceptions of the 2000s

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/11/17 at 2:07 pm

What are the myths about this decade?

One was uncovered on a thread about social media being a tremendous force throughout the era, but turns out it actually wasn't at all. 

Subject: Re: Misconceptions of the 2000s

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 2:15 pm

Everyone was wearing gold chains, and bling. Perhaps someone 50 years from now will see it in that false way.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/11/17 at 2:17 pm

For a while, people seemed to think the whole decade was nothing more than 2008-2009(Justin Bieber, Obama, electropop, iPhones) repeated on a loop.

However, that seems to be lessening (now I see more people associate the 00s with AIM, emo music, and flip phones), as the 00s slowly develop their own identity that sets them apart from today.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/17 at 2:30 pm

That emo was a huge trend almost every teen was in on, when in reality it was just that lonely kid who sat in the back corner of the class with his headphones on. The music was popular, but not the identity.

That social media wasn't popular among youth. Sorry but that's just the tea ☕

That skinny jeans were popular. Slim fits got popular in 2006 but skinny jeans were unseen until late 2009.

That the GBA was better than the DS. Bitch please.

Everyone was wearing gold chains, and bling. Perhaps someone 50 years from now will see it in that false way.

This one is true though, at least in mid 2000s middle school ;D The John Cena and Pimp My Ride mania was insufferable  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 2:32 pm

That emo was a huge trend almost every teen was in on, when in reality it was just that lonely kid who sat in the back corner of the class with his headphones on. The music was popular, but not the identity.

This one is true though, at least in mid 2000s middle school ;D The John Cena and Pimp My Ride mania was insufferable  8-P

:.drools:.  hot

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 2:34 pm

There was a group of high schoolers that I would consider emo, maybe 15 people. But yeah, 15 out of 1,500 people isn't saying much.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/11/17 at 2:42 pm

Actually that's something I could see happening with nostalgia. The only folks who wore bling during that period were those who were associated with the southern rap sub-genre.

For a while, people seemed to think the whole decade was nothing more than 2008-2009(Justin Bieber, Obama, electropop, iPhones) repeated on a loop.

However, that seems to be lessening (now I see more people associate the 00s with AIM, emo music, and flip phones), as the 00s slowly develop their own identity that sets them apart from today.
Yeah, I don't see that as much anymore which is a good thing. Everything mentioned were truly connected with the early 10s.

There was a group of high schoolers that I would consider emo, maybe 15 people. But yeah, 15 out of 1,500 people isn't saying much.
Agreed! In fact, the 2000s identity was pretty much mixed. Sure, there was emo; however, there were others as well.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/11/17 at 3:05 pm

That skinny jeans were popular. Slim fits got popular in 2006 but skinny jeans were unseen until late 2009.

That the GBA was better than the DS. Bitch please.

The Nintendo DS was definitely the quintessential handheld console of the 2000's! The original DS came out in 2004 and the DSi came out in 2009. While the DS Lite that came out in 2006 was the peak of it! The Nintendo DS was the top handheld console of the 2000's and it was one of the best selling toys of the 2000's too. The Gameboy Advance was just a leftover 90's influence from the early 2000's based off its successors like the original Gameboy or Gameboy Color. The Gameboy era officially ended in 2003/04 with the Advance SP. The DS era was born in the 2000's and it had a huge impact on the gaming industry with all the games it offered.

The 2000's will be remembered as the beginning of the social media era.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/11/17 at 3:27 pm

The Nintendo DS was definitely the quintessential handheld console of the 2000's! The original DS came out in 2004 and the DSi came out in 2009. While the DS Lite that came out in 2006 was the peak of it! The Nintendo DS was the top handheld console of the 2000's and it was one of the best selling toys of the 2000's too. The Gameboy Advance was just a leftover 90's influence from the early 2000's based off its successors like the original Gameboy or Gameboy Color. The Gameboy era officially ended in 2003/04 with the Advance SP. The DS era was born in the 2000's and it had a huge impact on the gaming industry with all the games it offered.

I agree that the DS was THE handheld console of the decade :)  but...
GBA came out in late 2001, it's not a 90s holdover... GBC was tho. ;)

Written By: bchris02 on 01/11/17 at 3:55 pm

That perception isn't completely untrue.  Emo was to the '00s what hipsters are to the '10s.  Emo kids were a small percentage of the population in the '00s, but emo was the predominant influence on fashion during the second half of the decade.  Even if you weren't emo, it's likely the clothes you were wearing or your hairstyle was in some way influenced by emo.  Also, as you mention, there was significant emo influences in music during the second half of the '00s.  There was also scene, which was somewhat of a combination of emo culture and punk pop culture commonly thought of as "emo lite".

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/17 at 4:20 pm

That perception isn't completely untrue.  Emo was to the '00s what hipsters are to the '10s.  Emo kids were a small percentage of the population in the '00s, but emo was the predominant influence on fashion during the second half of the decade.  Even if you weren't emo, it's likely the clothes you were wearing or your hairstyle was in some way influenced by emo.  Also, as you mention, there was significant emo influences in music during the second half of the '00s.  There was also scene, which was somewhat of a combination of emo culture and punk pop culture commonly thought of as "emo lite".

I feel like there's a chicken and egg situation here, and you have to ask how much the late 2000s were influenced by emo and conversely how much the domineering late 2000s aesthetic influenced what emo became to be. Remember, emo meant something completely different in the early 2000s than what it meant in 2004+, just like hipster meant something different all the way back to the 1940s, than it did 2007+.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 4:26 pm

That every blonde girl acted and liked Paris Hilton. Paris had a lot of fans, but also a lot of haters.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/17 at 4:30 pm

That every blonde girl acted and liked Paris Hilton. Paris had a lot of fans, but also a lot of haters.

IMO it's like Kim Kardashian: half the reason she's popular is because she has a lot of haters. Who doesn't like watching a train wreck? Ironically, the people who are hating are the reason they're popular in the first place, and their hate continues to perpetuate their popularity. All neutral people like you and me can do is dine on h8er tears.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 4:34 pm

IMO it's like Kim Kardashian: half the reason she's popular is because she has a lot of haters. Who doesn't like watching a train wreck? Ironically, the people who are hating are the reason they're popular in the first place, and their hate continues to perpetuate their popularity. All neutral people like you and me can do is dine on h8er tears.

Paris Hilton started the whole, 'Make a sex tape and become famous' thing a big thing. Kind of a pioneer in trash entertainment. I find Paris entertaining, but she wasn't famous anymore after like 2008.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/11/17 at 4:50 pm

* That the "early 2000s" extended as late as 2006.
* That they had no cultural identity.
* The exaggerated impact of 9/11 on everyday popular culture; most 2000s trends had already been developing during the few years proceding the attacks.
* That they were hyper-patriotic and super conservative throughout. On the contrary, the Bush Administration attracted extreme backlash from the beginning, despite growing worse towards the end. Additionally, support for gay rights expanded pretty greatly, with numerous LGBT-themed shows, films, and other positive representations; landmark breakthroughs like Lawrence v. Texas and Massachusetts legalizing gay marriage, and national support for gay marriage increasing dramatically from 2000 to 2009.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/11/17 at 5:11 pm

The early 2000s didn't extend as late as 2006, but I'd say the vestiges of the early 2000s lasted until 2006.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/11/17 at 5:32 pm

Both the GBA and DS were the top handheld consoles of the 2000s. GBA for early-mid 2000s, while the DS was more late 2000s (imo).

Written By: mqg96 on 01/11/17 at 8:41 pm

I meant the "Gameboy" name still being in the Advance and Advance SP was a 90's leftover, since the prime of the "Gameboy" name being in Nintendo handhelds whether it was during the original Gameboy era or the Color era occurred throughout the 90's in its entirety. The Gameboy Advance era throughout the early 2000's was the last hurrah for the "Gameboy" era, which was a leftover 90's influence. Then the Nintendo DS comes in late 2004 which marks the end of the "Gameboy" era of Nintendo handhelds, and to this day the DS is still the standard of Nintendo handhelds, despite us being in the 3DS/2DS era for awhile. However, I think when the Switch comes out that might mark the end of the "DS" era of Nintendo handhelds, since the Switch is supposed to be a hybrid of a console and a handheld.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/11/17 at 8:45 pm

Both the GBA and DS were the top handheld consoles of the 2000s. GBA for early-mid 2000s, while the DS was more late 2000s (imo).

The Nintendo DS was both mid & late 2000's. 2005 was the merger year between the Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS being popular. By 2006 it was all about Nintendo DS, especially when the DS Lite came out that year.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/11/17 at 9:41 pm

That the 00's had no identity.

That John Cena putting his hand in front of his face meant you couldn't see him.

That Pitbull was good throughout the entire decade (he got good in 2007)

Written By: Slim95 on 01/11/17 at 9:43 pm

What are the myths about this decade?

One was uncovered on a thread about social media being a tremendous force throughout the era, but turns out it actually wasn't at all.

Ehh I would re-word that if I were you. xD

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/11/17 at 9:57 pm

Ehh I would re-word that if I were you. xD
Is my wording confusing some people?

Written By: Slim95 on 01/11/17 at 9:59 pm

Is my wording confusing some people?

Well you said there wasn't a cultural force of social media in the 00s at all in the bold, even though there was. Whether it was big or not is another story, but there definitely was a force.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/11/17 at 10:04 pm

Well you said there wasn't a cultural force of social media in the 00s at all in the bold, even though there was. Whether it was big or not is another story, but there definitely was a force.
That's because thanks to the other thread, the fact became false. Yeah, there was a force, but it wasn't as huge as some people made it out to be.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/12/17 at 12:22 am

The early 2000s didn't extend as late as 2006, but I'd say the vestiges of the early 2000s lasted until 2006.

I've frequently heard people literally refer to things as late as 2006 as being from the early 2000s. Again, no other decade sub-era overshadows its parent decade quite like the early 2000s seem to do.

I meant the "Gameboy" name still being in the Advance and Advance SP was a 90's leftover, since the prime of the "Gameboy" name being in Nintendo handhelds whether it was during the original Gameboy era or the Color era occurred throughout the 90's in its entirety. The Gameboy Advance era throughout the early 2000's was the last hurrah for the "Gameboy" era, which was a leftover 90's influence. Then the Nintendo DS comes in late 2004 which marks the end of the "Gameboy" era of Nintendo handhelds, and to this day the DS is still the standard of Nintendo handhelds, despite us being in the 3DS/2DS era for awhile. However, I think when the Switch comes out that might mark the end of the "DS" era of Nintendo handhelds, since the Switch is supposed to be a hybrid of a console and a handheld.

Isn't that pretty much like calling the Super Nintendo an 80s holdover just because it was specifically marketed as the sequel to the original Nintendo?

Honestly, I never saw any significance in the name of Nintendo's handhelds in distinguishing them. I can understand correlating the Game Boy Color with the original 1989 Game Boy because it's essentially the exact same system, capable of playing all of the same games, except new titles could use an NES-like palette of colors as opposed to being monochrome. The Game Boy Advance, however, is NOT the same system. It has L and R buttons that the original Game Boy models did not. The graphics are dramatically improved and mirror the Super Nintendo in the same way the Game Boy Color is basically a portable NES. Heck, the original DS is backwards-compatible with Game Boy Advance cartridges, but not GB/GBC ones. As I remember it, the jump from the Game Boy Advance to the DS was really no greater than the jump from the Game Boy Color to the Game Boy Advance. Sure, the DS had a touchscreen, but I mostly just saw that as a joint substitute for the analog stick and larger TV screen that you got with the Nintendo 64 experience.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/12/17 at 12:26 am

* The exaggerated impact of 9/11 on everyday popular culture; most 2000s trends had already been developing during the few years proceding the attacks.
* That they were hyper-patriotic and super conservative throughout. On the contrary, the Bush Administration attracted extreme backlash from the beginning, despite growing worse towards the end. Additionally, support for gay rights expanded pretty greatly, with numerous LGBT-themed shows, films, and other positive representations; landmark breakthroughs like Lawrence v. Texas and Massachusetts legalizing gay marriage, and national support for gay marriage increasing dramatically from 2000 to 2009.

I agree mostly.  I think the impact of 9/11 in popular culture was only felt in late 2001 through 2002 and barely lingering into 2003.  It was a very patriotic, more conservative time and I don't really think that is exaggerated.  However, it wasn't really very long-lived and it affected mostly cultural attitudes and television.  The networks were loaded with serial dramas dealing with fighting terrorism and full of pro-war, pro-Bush propaganda.  I doubt that trend would have caught on had it not been for 9/11.  As for music, country was affected more than pop/rock.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/12/17 at 1:58 am

The Nintendo DS was both mid & late 2000's. 2005 was the merger year between the Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS being popular. By 2006 it was all about Nintendo DS, especially when the DS Lite came out that year.

Even though there were still games for the GBA until 2007, but 2006 works.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/12/17 at 5:34 am

Yes but, 2004-05 GBA was still in its peak imo.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/12/17 at 5:36 am

It just lacked one compared to the previous decade. This decade even has a stronger identity than the last one.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/12/17 at 5:48 am

I've frequently heard people literally refer to things as late as 2006 as being from the early 2000s. Again, no other decade sub-era overshadows its parent decade quite like the early 2000s seem to do.

Where have you heard them say things like this?

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/12/17 at 5:51 am

It just lacked one compared to the previous decade. This decade even has a stronger identity than the last one.

Indeed, the 10s have a very strong identity

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/12/17 at 6:09 am

Hey eric, can you respond to the personal messages i sent to you?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/12/17 at 6:14 am

*cough* Youtube comments section *cough*

Written By: XYkid on 01/12/17 at 7:16 am

I recall seeing guys in skinny jeans in 2007 quite commonly, but that could be because I lived in California at the time.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/12/17 at 8:37 am

Yes but, 2004-05 GBA was still in its peak imo.

Exactly, that's why I said 2005 was the merger year between the Advance and the DS, because early 2005 was part of 2004-05 which was still the Advance's peak. Late 2005 part of 2005-06 was all about the DS.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/12/17 at 8:47 am

I've frequently heard people literally refer to things as late as 2006 as being from the early 2000s. Again, no other decade sub-era overshadows its parent decade quite like the early 2000s seem to do
Heck, the original DS is backwards-compatible with Game Boy Advance cartridges, but not GB/GBC ones. As I remember it, the jump from the Game Boy Advance to the DS was really no greater than the jump from the Game Boy Color to the Game Boy Advance. Sure, the DS had a touchscreen, but I mostly just saw that as a joint substitute for the analog stick and larger TV screen that you got with the Nintendo 64 experience.

I disagree. I think the Nintendo DS having a touchscreen was a bigger jump from the Gameboy Advance than a lot of people realize, because think about it, when did touchscreens on computers, cell phones and tablets become really common in the U.S.? Compare that to when the Nintendo DS became a hit? The Nintendo DS was, if not one of the first touchscreens ever introduced in the U.S., even though it was for kids. The original Gameboy and Gameboy Color had NES graphics on a handheld. The Gameboy Advance and SP had SNES graphics on a handheld. The Nintendo DS had N64/Gamecube hybrid graphics on a handheld, and not to mention, wi-fi being the Nintendo DS was a gigantic step too.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/12/17 at 9:34 am

Exactly, that's why I said 2005 was the merger year between the Advance and the DS, because early 2005 was part of 2004-05 which was still the Advance's peak. Late 2005 part of 2005-06 was all about the DS.

Actually I think even the 2005-06' school year was still safely within the GBA Era as well, granted just enough for it not to lean solely towards the DS era. If you look at this sales chart, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales, you would see that DS sales stayed pretty consistent for much of the 2004-early 2006 period jumping between 2-4 million sales within each fiscal season. Then between March of 2006 & June of 2006 the sales jumped by roughly 5 million, between June & September of 06' was also a 5 million jump, and finally between September & December a massive 9 million jump.

It seems to be that while the DS was growing in popularity from its launch in Late 2004 through Early 2006, it didn't start to hit its peak until mid-late 2006. I'm fine with calling 2004-05' the last school year to lean more towards the GBA era, but 2005-06' was more or less a transitional year between GBA & DS with both systems popularity based on sales & the games being released, with many GBA games coming out in 2005, being in equal amount of popularity. Also pretty anecdotal, I'm not sure when you guys officially jumped on the DS hype train, but I got mines in the Summer of 06' and it was around then when I noticed more people my age getting one. 2006-07' was probably the first school year in which the GBA wasn't even relevant anymore and DS was now starting to hit its stride.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/12/17 at 9:36 am

Well I've heard dumb ass kids claim that they 'miss the Early 2000's' when they're referring to Hannah Montana...

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/17 at 10:12 am

Many places online like YouTube.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/12/17 at 10:34 am

Alright. I think I got one.

That fact that cartoons of the 2000s is commonly believed to can't rival cartoons of the previous decade.

Written By: 2001 on 01/12/17 at 10:57 am

Actually I think even the 2005-06' school year was still safely within the GBA Era as well, granted just enough for it not to lean solely towards the DS era. If you look at this sales chart, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales, you would see that DS sales stayed pretty consistent for much of the 2004-early 2006 period jumping between 2-4 million sales within each fiscal season. Then between March of 2006 & June of 2006 the sales jumped by roughly 5 million, between June & September of 06' was also a 5 million jump, and finally between September & December a massive 9 million jump.

It seems to be that while the DS was growing in popularity from its launch in Late 2004 through Early 2006, it didn't start to hit its peak until mid-late 2006. I'm fine with calling 2004-05' the last school year to lean more towards the GBA era, but 2005-06' was more or less a transitional year between GBA & DS with both systems popularity based on sales & the games being released, with many GBA games coming out in 2005, being in equal amount of popularity. Also pretty anecdotal, I'm not sure when you guys officially jumped on the DS hype train, but I got mines in the Summer of 06' and it was around then when I noticed more people my age getting one. 2006-07' was probably the first school year in which the GBA wasn't even relevant anymore and DS was now starting to hit its stride.

The GBA was still popular in 2005-06, but it was clear the DS was more popular, especially after the DS Lite came out. Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Brain Training, all huge DS games that released 2005-06 school year.

In my middle school though, the GBA was mostly gone by 2004-05 school year when the PSP came out. 2005-06 was also mostly PSP, until the DS Lite came out. Its popularity significantly decreased after GTA: Liberty City Stories turned out to be somewhat of a flop, but it was still very popular throughout the late 2000s, especially since the easy piracy and emulation made it really appealing to broke teenagers. This might've been localized to my demographic though, PSP was marketed heavily towards teens and pre-teens.

I agree by 2006-07, the GBA was mostly gone (funnily enough, it still outsold the PS3 that year ;D).

Written By: Howard on 01/12/17 at 3:32 pm

The 2000's will be remembered as the beginning of the social media era.

You could say that.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/17 at 3:34 pm

Paris Hilton started the whole, 'Make a sex tape and become famous' thing a big thing. Kind of a pioneer in trash entertainment. I find Paris entertaining, but she wasn't famous anymore after like 2008.

just like Kim Kardashian. ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/12/17 at 3:35 pm

That John Cena putting his hand in front of his face meant you couldn't see him.

and giving someone an Attitude Adjustment.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/12/17 at 6:44 pm

Seems we're both aware of the exact same misconceptions. C:

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/12/17 at 8:46 pm

Well I've heard dumb ass kids claim that they 'miss the Early 2000's' when they're referring to Hannah Montana...

In real life or on the net?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/12/17 at 9:55 pm

Indeed, the 10s have a very strong identity

They definitely do (and it makes no sense when people claim this decade has no identity. There are many ways to slander this decade but saying it has no identity is stupid) but the 00's were still pretty distinct.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/12/17 at 10:16 pm

In real life or on the net?

Both lol

Written By: 2001 on 01/13/17 at 3:06 pm

I agree mostly.  I think the impact of 9/11 in popular culture was only felt in late 2001 through 2002 and barely lingering into 2003.  It was a very patriotic, more conservative time and I don't really think that is exaggerated.  However, it wasn't really very long-lived and it affected mostly cultural attitudes and television.  The networks were loaded with serial dramas dealing with fighting terrorism and full of pro-war, pro-Bush propaganda.  I doubt that trend would have caught on had it not been for 9/11.  As for music, country was affected more than pop/rock.

Do you mean the 9/11 references in pop culture faded out in 2003, or the hyper patriotism? Because if the latter, 2003 had "freedom fries" and "mission accomplished". 2003/2004 actually felt like the peak of the patriotism (before it went into decline), at least looking from the outside.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/13/17 at 5:06 pm

In my middle school though, the GBA was mostly gone by 2004-05 school year when the PSP came out. 2005-06 was also mostly PSP, until the DS Lite came out. Its popularity significantly decreased after GTA: Liberty City Stories turned out to be somewhat of a flop, but it was still very popular throughout the late 2000s, especially since the easy piracy and emulation made it really appealing to broke teenagers. This might've been localized to my demographic though, PSP was marketed heavily towards teens and pre-teens.

I agree by 2006-07, the GBA was mostly gone (funnily enough, it still outsold the PS3 that year ;D).
You know it's funny how many people forgot that the PSP existed at that time considering the NDS overshadowed it, and that it didn't sell as much like the former.

Honestly, I never saw any significance in the name of Nintendo's handhelds in distinguishing them. I can understand correlating the Game Boy Color with the original 1989 Game Boy because it's essentially the exact same system, capable of playing all of the same games, except new titles could use an NES-like palette of colors as opposed to being monochrome. The Game Boy Advance, however, is NOT the same system. It has L and R buttons that the original Game Boy models did not. The graphics are dramatically improved and mirror the Super Nintendo in the same way the Game Boy Color is basically a portable NES. Heck, the original DS is backwards-compatible with Game Boy Advance cartridges, but not GB/GBC ones. As I remember it, the jump from the Game Boy Advance to the DS was really no greater than the jump from the Game Boy Color to the Game Boy Advance. Sure, the DS had a touchscreen, but I mostly just saw that as a joint substitute for the analog stick and larger TV screen that you got with the Nintendo 64 experience.
Whoa, this is the first time I seen this viewpoint. Most of the time, it's that the DS was a huge jump from the GBA since it had a touchscreen, more features and that it sold like ice cream with many great games.

Yeah, it was definitely successful; however, I agree that it wasn't all that different compared to the GBA/SP. I had one myself and while it looked amazing, it also played like its predecessor as well. I mean take a look at all three of them.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vJJY4Kt6M0k/VN35kFDDJtI/AAAAAAAAC6g/zgzKOIC5H2k/s1600/Game_Boy_Advance.png

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/nintendo/images/4/4e/Game_Boy_Advance_SP_Red_Model.png/revision/latest?cb=20121130172706&path-prefix=en

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Black-Open.png

Yeah, this is irritating. They were clearly over by 2004.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well actually, he couldn't have been great throughout the whole era since he didn't start his music career until 2005.

I agree with both of you. It truly had an identity that was distinct from the previous and the next decades. A few things that make the 2000s stand out were the Motorola RAZRs, chunky highlights. the bling, and the backlash against Bush.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/13/17 at 9:48 pm

That every guy dressed like Eminem.

Written By: 2001 on 01/13/17 at 11:37 pm

That every guy dressed like Eminem.

It's closer to the truth than "everyone dressed emo" :-X

At least where I live ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/17 at 12:25 am

The biggest misconception about the 2000's that's still on-going today by quite a few people is that it was a good decade! 😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 11:26 am

The biggest misconception about the 2000's that's still on-going today by quite a few people is that it was a good decade! 😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

Says the person who thinks 2000-2002 was great. http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/54.gif

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 1:52 pm

Says the person who thinks 2000-2002 was great. http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/54.gif

But where is the lie? http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/54.gif

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 2:35 pm

But where is the lie? http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/54.gif

Have you even seen his posts on anything related to the Y2K era?

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 3:00 pm

Have you even seen his posts on anything related to the Y2K era?

Perhaps. http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/54.gif

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/15/17 at 2:22 pm

I'm trying to dispel some myths in regards to the state of the animation industry.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=54855.0

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/17 at 8:31 pm

That it was the decade from hell!  ::)  :D

Written By: 2001 on 02/09/17 at 9:34 pm

The music from 2003/2004-2008 was, lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/09/17 at 9:58 pm

The music from 2003/2004-2008 was, lol.

But it was a lot better than the music today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/10/17 at 5:36 am

That music from the 2000s were hell to listening, even though most people back then liked it.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/10/17 at 11:52 am

2000s mainstream music had its good points. House music in the 2000s was great! But that's all I can think of.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/10/17 at 2:10 pm

2000s mainstream music had its good points. House music in the 2000s was great! But that's all I can think of.

Rock, R&B, and even hip hop was better in the 2000s than it is today.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/10/17 at 4:10 pm

Rock, R&B, and even hip hop was better in the 2000s than it is today.

Well my problem with today's mainstream music is that almost everything is a bit bland and somewhat samey. In the 2000s at least there was variation in terms of music. Especially when it came to Dance music.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/10/17 at 5:46 pm

Well my problem with today's mainstream music is that almost everything is a bit bland and somewhat samey. In the 2000s at least there was variation in terms of music. Especially when it came to Dance music.

I think that might have to deal with how everything has to be politically correct, especially music. But I think should genres should try to be better if it doesn't stop (especially R&B and actual rock).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/19/17 at 12:58 am

I'm not sure if this was already stated, but I have noticed that some people have believed that the music was not diverse when that's false. There were a variety of genres ranging from Hip-Hop (different types of subgenres), R&B, Rock (not all Emo), Country, Reggae/Reggaeton and general pop.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/19/17 at 2:52 am

It's closer to the truth than "everyone dressed emo" :-X

At least where I live ;D

Depends on what part of the 2000s.

The Eminem look was popular from 2000 through around 2003.  In the late '00s, you had the emo/scene guys and the dude bros (the guys that wore Affliction, Ed Hardy, etc). 

Written By: 2001 on 06/19/17 at 10:20 pm

Depends on what part of the 2000s.

The Eminem look was popular from 2000 through around 2003.  In the late '00s, you had the emo/scene guys and the dude bros (the guys that wore Affliction, Ed Hardy, etc).

Sounds about right. But like I said, it will depend on where you we live. We don't have those brands over here. Over here, people pretty much dressed like this from 2003 until the turn of the decade (or 2008 at the earliest). ;D

https://fashionthroughtime.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/unknown11.jpeg

Written By: bchris02 on 06/19/17 at 10:34 pm

Sounds about right. But like I said, it will depend on where you we live. We don't have those brands over here. Over here, people pretty much dressed like this from 2003 until the turn of the decade (or 2008 at the earliest). ;D

https://fashionthroughtime.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/unknown11.jpeg

This is the style I am talking about.  This was quite popular in the late '00s and early '10s for guys who didn't do the emo/scene look.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d6/c9/fe/d6c9fe6f4b7de1003c57bb1b2a67116e.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 06/19/17 at 10:36 pm

This is the style I am talking about.  This was quite popular in the late '00s and early '10s for guys who didn't do the emo/scene look.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d6/c9/fe/d6c9fe6f4b7de1003c57bb1b2a67116e.jpg

;D ;D ;D This style will not age well.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/19/17 at 10:46 pm

;D ;D ;D This style will not age well.

It already hasn't.  Most of what you see are hipsters, bro hipsters, and the frat boy look now.  Where I live you see a lot of guys in cowboy hats but that never goes out of style in the South.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/19/17 at 10:55 pm

I actually think that is a really respectable style. If a man dressed as such walked into a business I owned and said "YO BRO GIMME A JOB!" I'd hire him on the spot as he looks reliable and hardworking.

Written By: wixness on 06/20/17 at 7:37 am

Alright. I think I got one.

That fact that cartoons of the 2000s is commonly believed to can't rival cartoons of the previous decade.

Can confirm, a lot of the more memorable cartoons from the 2000s were all action-oriented. The rest were pretty hard to remember.

Written By: wixness on 06/20/17 at 7:40 am

I think that the 2000s were more socially conservative. Back then, no one would have lost their sh*t over something in a children's cartoon like this:

http://www.unadinoi-winx.com/my-response-to-afrogate-winx-club-is-not-racist/

One of the characters in the show was crying about her having an Afro, and how the onlookers were quite puzzled about it

I also didn't know about "transgender" until my teens, but my sister did before her teens (she was around 8 or 9 when she came across this).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/11/17 at 10:31 am

Here's another popular misconception that some people might have about cell phones. As they became common, that meant folks would now constantly call or even text friends, family etc when that's not true at all. A small thing people forget about cell phones most of the time is that there was no such thing as an unlimited data plan back then. It would actually cost money just to even call someone for a few minutes. On top of that, it would have been difficult to text others anyway considering that cell phones at the time not only also cost money that it was even frustrating to keep tapping the buttons just to send one text message.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/11/17 at 4:08 pm

Here's another popular misconception that some people might have about cell phones. As they became common, that meant folks would now constantly call or even text friends, family etc when that's not true at all. A small thing people forget about cell phones most of the time is that there was no such thing as an unlimited data plan back then. It would actually cost money just to even call someone for a few minutes. On top of that, it would have been difficult to text others anyway considering that cell phones at the time not only also cost money that it was even frustrating to keep tapping the buttons just to send one text message.

In Canada we are still living like it is the 2000s in terms of phone plans here. There is no such thing as an unlimited data plan here, and a tiny 100mb a month (so no data) could cost you $40 a month with the major carriers. Data is not affordable here.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/17 at 7:01 am

Now these days we have free unlimited data.

Written By: wixness on 08/27/17 at 12:21 am

I had unlimited data that could last 60-ish days back then. Now, only two networks here in the UK have them since the rest killed them off @Howard. Unlimited data is pricey and only goes up to 30 days here.

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/17 at 10:30 am

In Canada we are still living like it is the 2000s in terms of phone plans here. There is no such thing as an unlimited data plan here, and a tiny 100mb a month (so no data) could cost you $40 a month with the major carriers. Data is not affordable here.

I have unlimited data for $29/mo. It's Wind though ;D

Texting got popular in the late 2000s when people started getting Blackberries and sidekicks. There were free evenings and weekends for the calling if you had a plan, but I was on prepaid. I think it was $20 for 200 minutes or something like that.

Unlimited data, I did not start seeing until the early 2010s. In 2010/2011, I had 500MB/mo. In late 2011 and 2012 I upgraded to 6GB/mo (basically unlimited), and in late 2012 I got real unlimited data.  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/27/17 at 2:23 pm

I had unlimited data that could last 60-ish days back then. Now, only two networks here in the UK have them since the rest killed them off @Howard. Unlimited data is pricey and only goes up to 30 days here.

How much is data there? ???

Written By: wixness on 08/27/17 at 2:59 pm

How much is data there? ???

1p per megabyte on Three, I don't know if it was different in the past. I think it was the same.

Written By: wixness on 08/29/17 at 7:20 am

The sad state of UK telecom for mobile broadband (this is for the big networks here); only TWO networks offer unlimited data:

http://i.imgur.com/T7GlcY9.png

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/29/17 at 9:35 am

I didn't get my first cell phone until early 2005, so it's certainly a misconception that all teens had cell phones by the mid '00s.

Another misconception is that the 7th gen of consoles immediately took over after 2005. To me, the PS2 was still a huge deal up until around early 2008.

Written By: 2001 on 08/29/17 at 9:58 am

The sad state of UK telecom for mobile broadband (this is for the big networks here); only TWO networks offer unlimited data:

http://i.imgur.com/T7GlcY9.png

Those 3GB-5GB+ deals are basically unlimited, unless you're watching HD Netflix over 4G. :P

Also, I didn't know Tesco was a telecom too. :o

Written By: wixness on 08/29/17 at 10:03 am

Those 3GB-5GB+ deals are basically unlimited, unless you're watching HD Netflix over 4G. :P

Also, I didn't know Tesco was a telecom too. :o

Tesco is still a big supermarket chain, but they've diversified.

If you're a software geek and either hate public wi-fi or aren't near a wi-fi hotspot (but are within range of cellular towers i.e. NOT Hunstanton Beach), then 3-5 GB isn't enough.

My cousins stream a lot of music (even though they have Spotify Premium as far as I am aware) and have been told off by their dad for it. They're in the US and they use AT&T.

Written By: John Titor on 12/08/18 at 2:40 pm

Misconceptions of the 2000s - John Titor Guide

. That Teen Pop died after 9/11, it was already losing steam in July-Aug 2001.
. That Myspace suddenly died in 2008, this is not true it was still popular.
. That Gamecube was thought as a great system, this was not the case people hated it.
. That Youtube became popular in 2005, it did not pop off until Summer 2006
. That Macs were popular from the start of the 2000s, they were niche from 2000-2004, wasn't until the IPOD ads
. That people were upset when That 70's show ended, It became a parody of itself by 2006 and people tuned out

Written By: mwalker1996 on 12/09/18 at 1:08 am

True texting didn't really get big till the latter half of the 2000s since keyboard phones were becoming more prevalent.

Check for new replies or respond here...