inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Malcolm in the Middle

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 6:14 am

Anyone remember this show? It's one of my favorites from the early-mid 2000s.

As Jordan mentioned, it's funny how they still had spiked hair and played their Game Boy Colors in the 2004-2006 episodes with Ska Punk on the soundtrack. It was a show stuck in the early 2000s, even after it left the early 2000s, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Subject: Re: Malcolm in the Middle

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 8:49 am

It was hilarious! I loved watching it in the mid-2000s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 11:25 am

AWW YEAH!!

This show used to be one of my favorites when I watched Nick at Nite as a kid. I also remember watching it at mornings before I went to school. This show was excellent for what it is, and I find that to be cool. My favorite characters are Hal, Malcolm, Dewey, Lois, Stevie (the guy with the wheelchair and inhaler), and Craig (Lois' coworker).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 11:59 am

As I mentioned before, it's rather peculiar how the show carried on the spirit of the early 2000s even after the early 2000s ended, right?

Malcolm In The Middle just stayed like itself throughout the entire series. Although, the pop cultural references weren't supposed to be the main idea for the show. It was about a dysfunctional family, along with a gifted middle child. It was like Daria, except it involved more around the family than the title character. With that, I think Malcolm In The Middle was supposed to be like the early and mid 2000s. The early 2000s represent Malcolm's middle school years, while the mid 2000s represent his high school years.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 12:06 pm

AWW YEAH!!

This show used to be one of my favorites when I watched Nick at Nite as a kid. I also remember watching it at mornings before I went to school. This show was excellent for what it is, and I find that to be cool. My favorite characters are Hal, Malcolm, Dewey, Lois, Stevie (the guy with the wheelchair and inhaler), and Craig (Lois' coworker).

My experience is a tad different from yours, I remember watching this show on WTVZ, which was our local Fox affiliate in Virginia.

I saw all the time in 1st-4th grade, after school. I remember it was Cyberchase, then Malcolm, then the Simpsons, then some other show like Everybody loves raymond or Friends, then homework, then video games. Those were simpler times.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 12:40 pm

My experience is a tad different from yours, I remember watching this show on WTVZ, which was our local Fox affiliate in Virginia.

I also saw it on FX before I went to school in the morning back in 4th/5th grade. It was around the time I truly loved watching George Lopez, Malcolm in the Middle, and Everybody Hates Chris.

I saw all the time in 1st-4th grade, after school. I remember it was Cyberchase, then Malcolm, then the Simpsons, then some other show like Everybody loves raymond or Friends, then homework, then video games. Those were simpler times.

Same with me. Although, it was different between 1st to 5th grade as a kid. For 1st and 2nd grade, I'd always seem to watch a kids block on TLC in the morning. For 4th and 5th grade, I would usually watch either Spongebob or Malcolm in the Middle.

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 12:44 pm

Wait... you guys were allowed to watch Malcolm In The Middle when you were kids? :o Didn't it have sex and drugs and stuff?

As I mentioned before, it's rather peculiar how the show carried on the spirit of the early 2000s even after the early 2000s ended, right?

It wasn't really that out of place, a lot of that stuff existed in 2004-2006 too.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 12:48 pm

Yes, it did have sex and drugs, but it wasn't a HUGE part of the show I don't think.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 12:50 pm

Wait... you guys were allowed to watch Malcolm In The Middle when you were kids? :o Didn't it have sex and drugs and stuff?

Well, it didn't have a lot of sex jokes, IIRC. It was TV-PG, so it wasn't that inappropriate for children.

Yes, but it wasn't a HUGE part of the show I don't think.

It wasn't, really. Like I said, it cared more about how dysfunctional the family was.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 12:51 pm

It wasn't really that out of place, a lot of that stuff existed in 2004-2006 too.

Yeah, but much of it was rather irrelevant or had faded gracefully into the background.

For instance, I didn't see too many kids in the neighborhood with Game Boy Colors in 2004-2006. We had moved on to GBA and, by 2006, DS. Plus, emo had replaced ska punk as the new music craze, and few people spiked their hair anymore.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 12:53 pm

Yeah, but much of it was rather irrelevant or had faded gracefully into the background.

For instance, I didn't see too many kids in the neighborhood with Game Boy Colors in 2004-2006. We had moved on to GBA and, by 2006, DS. Plus, emo had replaced ska punk as the new music craze, and few people spiked their hair anymore.

I didn't even notice much of the mid 2000s stuff. I could've saw the early 2000s references, but I cared more about the characters though.

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 1:00 pm

Yes, it did have sex and drugs, but it wasn't a HUGE part of the show I don't think.

I remember there was a whole episode about Hal and Lois having sex every time they got into an argument, because having sex would prevent the argument ;D There was Malcolm getting drunk too, and hawt sex scenes involving Francis :-X :-X :-X

It looks like some episodes are PG, but other are veritably 14+ and only aired on the adult/teen channels. You kiddies missed out!

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 1:02 pm

It looks like some episodes are PG, but other are veritably 14+ and only aired on the adult/teen channels. You kiddies missed out!

You're just two years older than me. :P

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/14/17 at 1:08 pm

This show was pretty badass! But I was more of Everybody Loves Raymond kind of a guy

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 1:09 pm

You're just two years older than me. :P

I'm joking lol. But you guys missed a lot of cool episodes :o

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/14/17 at 2:24 pm

I lived for that show. I had the biggest crush on Frankie Muniz, omg. Good times

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 2:34 pm

I remember there was a whole episode about Hal and Lois having sex every time they got into an argument, because having sex would prevent the argument ;D There was Malcolm getting drunk too, and hawt sex scenes involving Francis :-X :-X :-X

I saw a lot of episodes, and I saw them on FX. Which is the same channel who aired American Horror Story, a TV-MA show (kinda like how Americans say 18+). So I guess some episodes like Hal and Lois not having sex for a while is something that I probably saw, but not what I remember. Even though I watched Family Guy when I was 8 and 9. Especially the episode where Peter gets terrified of his prostate exam, and sues Dr. Hartman for it.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/26/17 at 2:02 am

I gotta admit, it p*sses me off when I look at Dailymotion and Vimeo and none of the episodes uploaded of this show contain commercial breaks, bumpers, or promos. >:(

You need commercials, promos, and bumpers to get the full, immersive 2000-2006 experience.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/17 at 8:36 am

I gotta admit, it p*sses me off when I look at Dailymotion and Vimeo and none of the episodes uploaded of this show contain commercial breaks, bumpers, or promos. >:(

You need commercials, promos, and bumpers to get the full, immersive 2000-2006 experience.

I don't think that'll happen if they recorded the episodes when they premiered between 2000-2006. They most likely recorded it off reruns, which would probably show post-2006 commercials.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/26/17 at 12:43 pm

Malcolm in the Middle was essentially my life. Though I did not have any older brothers, Malcolm was basically the same age as me, Dewey was about the same age as my younger brother, and Lois and Hal reminded me almost too much of my own parents. Because I could relate to the show so well, I watched it pretty much every week from 2000-2006. It was like The Wonder Years of our generation.

Plus, the theme song kicked ass. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Za8HggalY

Written By: 80sfan on 03/26/17 at 12:49 pm

The show was okay, but I never got too into it. Just wasn't my taste.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/26/17 at 1:13 pm

The first season was so 90's that I thought the episodes were released in 1999, when they were released in 2000 and 2001.

Check for new replies or respond here...