inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mid-late '00s: Era of Cult Classic Cartoons?

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/15/17 at 3:10 am

I've been noticing a number of terminologies being thrown around lately in regards to the current state of animation right now. Some armchair examiners have been referring to the state of both TV and Film animation as the "New Renaissance Era" following the "golden age" of the 1990s and early 2000s. What I have been noticing is that those that throw around these terms in regards to animation tend to have less than steller opinions of the mid to late 00s. The most common way they refer to this era as is the "dark age" of animation, and it's most personified in youtube cartoon reviewers like Mr.Enter and Saberspark, both of which are quite vocal about their views in their videos.

As a kid/tween growing up in the 00s, I never found to have noticed such a drop in quality programming put out at the time. There were certainly critical duds here and there but the animation scene generally seemed healthier back then than it honestly does now (looking at you nicktoons). In fact the majority of my all-time favourite cartoons came from the mid to late 00s. It was that constant steady stream of entertainment that kept me glued to the TV even up to the beginning of my teenage years. But I found that many of these shows I enjoyed appear relatively obscure or uncelebrated on the Internet. While some shows such as Avatar and Danny Phantom had near universal acclaim and exposer, others had brief runtimes before quickly being canned by the network due to unsatisfactory viewership. This leads me to my conclusion that rather than there being a significant decline in quality animation across the board, there was instead a decline in regular viewership to the networks(possibly steming from this apparent myth) which hurt creators during this time.

So, during a nostalgia trip viewing through some of my favourite cartoon films and TV of the past. I decided to compile a list of as many TV animations from the mid-late 00s as I could that I either enjoyed, or that have a 6.5+ rating on IMDB or TV.com, or were just generally well received by critics. The shows are from various channels such as CN, Nicktoons, Teletoon, YTV, Jetix, WB, Disney, Discovery Kids, CBC etc. While some on this list are well known, some of the more obscure shows also have a small but active and devoted fanbase, hence the use of the term "cult classic".

-Avatar: The Last Airbender (2005-08)

-Danny Phantom (2004-07)

-Shuriken School (2006-08)

-El Tigre (2007-08)

-Oban Star
racers (2006)

-Megas XLR (2004-05)

-Catscratch (2005-07)

-The Mighty Bee (2008-11)

-Wayside (2007-08)

-The Penguins of Madagascar (2008-15)

-Kappa Mikey (2006-08)

-Mr. Meaty (2005-09)

-Making Fiends (2008)

-Three Delivery (2008-09)

-Iron Man: Armored Adventures (2009-12)

-Random Cartoons! (2008-09)

-Corneil and Bernie (2004-08)

-Skyland (2005-07)

-Wolverine and the X-Men (2009)

-The Spectacular Spiderman (2008-09)

-Huntik: Secrets & Seekers (2009-12)

-The Marvelous Misadventures or Flapjack (2008-10)

-Chowder (2007-10)

-Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-14)

-The Secret Saturdays (2008-10)

-Ben 10 (2005-08)

-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (2004-09)

-Total Drama Island (2007-08)

-The Boondocks (2005-14)

-Class of 3000 (2006-08)

-Camp Lazlo (2005-08)

-Phineas and Ferb (2007-15)

-American Dragon: Jake Long (2005-07)

-Brandy and Mr. Whiskers (2004-06)

-Dave the Barbarian (2004-05)

-The Emperor's New School (2006-08)

-Wakfu (2008-14)

-Warner Bros Johnny Test: Season 1 (2005-06)

-Time Warp Trio (2005-06)

-Grossology (2006-09)

-Peep and the Big Wide World (2004-11)

-Growing up Creepie (2006-08)

-Class of the Titans (2005-08)

-Di-gata Defenders (2006-09)

-6teen (2004-10)

-Spliced (2009-10)

-Carl Squared (2005-11)

-Brady's Beasts (2005-06)

-Ruby Gloom (2006-08)

-The Tofus (2004-05)

-Delilah and Julius (2005-08)

-Fred's Head (2008)

-Delta State (2004-05)

-Being Ian (2005-08)

-Storm Hawks (2007-09)

-Eon Kid (2006)

-Jane and the Dragon (2005-06)

-Dragon Booster (2004-06)

-My Goldfish is Evil (2006)

-Galactic Football (2006-11)

-W.I.T.C.H. (2004-06)

-Winx Club (2004-15)

-Angel's Friends (2009-10)

-Lily the Witch (2004-13)

-World of Quest (2008-09)

-Magi-Nation (2007-10)

-A.T.O.M (2005-06)

-Monster Allergy (2005-16)

-Wordgirl (2007-15)

-Curious George (2006)

-The  Backyardigans (2004-10)

-Dragon (2004-07)

-Pinky Dinky Doo (2005-09)

-Pocoyo (2004-09)

-The Girl Who Hated Books (2006)

If I find more or someone can suggest others, I'll add them in. I'm not denying that there were duds in that era. There were plenty of duds before and since the 00s, trying point is there was no shortage of quality animation for TV. Many of these shows are plot heavy and are arguably more engaging than many of the so-called examples of quality cartoons we have now (save for Gravity Falls of course). The important thing to take from this is to actively look for the quality. Just like what many are doing for music nowadays, it's important to seek out and support shows that you like. The mid-late 00s was plentiful in quality programming but unfortunately didn't get the viewership necessary to support its shows in the long term.

The 1990s and 2010s are the era of popular acclaimed cartoons, but the 2000s mostly consisted of little known works that became cult classics.

Subject: Re: Mid-late '00s: Era of Cult Classic Cartoons?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/15/17 at 8:56 am

Throughout the time I've been nostalgic for the 2000s, everyone has been saying crap about most of the cartoons I grew up with. Needless to say, most of them seem to be better than the ones we have in this decade, in my honest opinion. Back then, the childish humor and wacky characters seem to amaze me within the world of animation. Nowadays, it has to deal with cartoons having an extremely continuous plot line (so long, that it has HBO running for its money), jokes that compete with the Big Bang Theory, and mostly has very serious episodes. I may be a hypocrite, since I enjoyed shows like Avatar, but at least that show gave us some hilarious episodes. The networks were more stable back in the mid-late 2000s, compared to now.

Also, I think shows like Growing Up Creepie, Edgar and Ellen, and Three Delivery should be mentioned, since they were really underrated for its time.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/15/17 at 9:18 am

I enjoyed many cartoons that premiered throughout 2004 and half of 2005, but that was it. The rest of the cartoons that premiered throughout the mid-late 00's were mediocre.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 01/15/17 at 10:10 am

I personally think that animated movies in the 2000s were better than we have today as there seemed to be more of an emphasis on story emotion and character. It was also Pixar in their golden age in my opinion. As well as the British studio Aardman at their peak. So 2000s was not at all bad for animation. However at the same time I feel that the TV cartoons are better today than they were in the 2000s as I feel they're slightly more unlimited in terms of creativity. So I think it kind of balances out in a way. (Having said that, Spongbob, Fairly Odd Parents and Foster's Home for imaginary friends were all awesome!)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/15/17 at 10:37 am

I personally think that animated movies in the 2000s were better than we have today as there seemed to be more of an emphasis on story emotion and character. It was also Pixar in their golden age in my opinion. As well as the British studio Aardman at their peak. So 2000s was not at all bad for animation. However at the same time I feel that the TV cartoons are better today than they were in the 2000s as I feel they're slightly more unlimited in terms of creativity. So I think it kind of balances out in a way. (Having said that, Spongbob, Fairly Odd Parents and Foster's Home for imaginary friends were all awesome!)

CGI studio animations such as Pixar and Dreamworks Animation were way better in the 2000s. Movies like Shrek 1 and 2, Spirit, Madagascar, and plenty others.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/15/17 at 2:21 pm

I think an important divide between the 2000s and 2010s cartoon eras is the marriage of drama and comedy formats. Shows like Gravity falls and Steven Universe are both plot and humour heavy. In the' 00s you would've had to watch Making Fiends or Fairly Odd Parents for top notch comedy, while Avatar and Teen Titans were mostly reserved for drama, the art direction differences are evidence in an of itself. '00s seemed to be the final continuation of the Hana Barbara format for cartoons.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/17 at 2:40 pm

2004 and 2005 were great for animation, but 2006 wasn't so good.

After that, I didn't really watch many cartoons.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/15/17 at 4:15 pm

Even as somebody who was an adult during the second half of the '00s, I've always thought '00s cartoons have kinda gotten a bad rap. I still watched some (then current) shows when I was in college like Codename Kids Next Door, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy and American Dragon: Jake Long from time to time and didn't feel they were that far off from the shows I watched as kid in the '90s.

Again, I just believe that this is a side-effect of the fact that '90s kids have dominated the internet for years now, and most of these people tend to be purists who will criticize any kids show that came out after 1999 whether they've actually watched it or not. What I've noticed lately, though, is that with late '90s babies getting older and becoming more a force online themselves, that '00s cartoons are finally starting to get more respect on the internet.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/17 at 4:19 pm

Again, I just believe that this is a side-effect of the fact that '90s kids have dominated the internet for years now, and most of these people tend to be purists who will criticize any kids show that came out after 1999 whether they've actually watched it or not. What I've noticed lately, though, is that with late '90s babies getting older and becoming more a force online themselves, that '00s cartoons are finally starting to get more respect on the internet.

You're out of touch!

The "90s kid" bashing cutoff has since been lifted a bit. They used to criticize anything that came out after December 31, 1999. Then, anything after 9/11. Currently, they bash anything that came out after December 31, 2004/2005/2006.

Will it lift again in the future?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/15/17 at 4:42 pm

You're out of touch!

The "90s kid" bashing cutoff has since been lifted a bit. They used to criticize anything that came out after December 31, 1999. Then, anything after 9/11. Currently, they bash anything that came out after December 31, 2004/2005/2006.

The '90s didn't really end until 2008! Crank That Soulja Boy could've easily come out in 1997 and nobody would've noticed!

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/17 at 4:43 pm

The '90s didn't really end until 2008! Crank That Soulja Boy could've easily come out in 1997 and nobody would've noticed!

Haven't seen something like that yet, as I've said before it seems the "nostalgia cutoff" for people is currently 2004/2005/2006.

Maybe I'll see it in a few years.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/17 at 4:46 pm

Tbh, I don't see why Tumblr and Buzzfeed always say the 90s ended in 2004, when they REALLY ended in late 2006. We even have an exhaustively-compiled dossier on this forum to prove it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1443826332.shtml

I mean, remember the 90's when Fall Out Boy told us to Dance, Dance and Hawthorne Heights informed us that Ohio is for Lovers? I do!!!!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/15/17 at 5:46 pm

I think an important divide between the 2000s and 2010s cartoon eras is the marriage of drama and comedy formats. Shows like Gravity falls and Steven Universe are both plot and humour heavy. In the' 00s you would've had to watch Making Fiends or Fairly Odd Parents for top notch comedy, while Avatar and Teen Titans were mostly reserved for drama, the art direction differences are evidence in an of itself. '00s seemed to be the final continuation of the Hanna Barbara format for cartoons.

It's definitely like that. Although it still has a few franchises making new stuff today (e.g. Scooby Doo), it wasn't the same with the 40s-00s cartoons made from the Hanna-Barbera studios. With Warner Bros. Animation taking its legacy, it's mostly used for making new stuff on Cartoon Network and Adult Swim.

You're out of touch!

Probably. They kept changing the cutoff for a lot of times. I remember it was all about stuff before 9/11, and then they became more sympathetic towards the early 2000s. Now, it's slightly more sympathetic towards the mid 2000s. I think they're doing this since 1999-2006 were kinda like its own era. Plus, they're like the classic cultural 2000s. At least to some people like me.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/17 at 6:03 pm

Probably. They kept changing the cutoff for a lot of times. I remember it was all about stuff before 9/11, and then they became more sympathetic towards the early 2000s. Now, it's slightly more sympathetic towards the mid 2000s. I think they're doing this since 1999-2006 were kinda like its own era. Plus, they're like the classic cultural 2000s. At least to some people like me.

Like how 2009-2016 is, in retrospect, one big era: the Obama era.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/15/17 at 6:07 pm

Like how 2009-2016 is, in retrospect, one big era: the Obama era.

Yeah. Something like that. Although, they might extend it to 2007 soon. Or maybe 2008.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/15/17 at 6:13 pm

Tbh, I don't see why Tumblr and Buzzfeed always say the 90s ended in 2004, when they REALLY ended in late 2006. We even have an exhaustively-compiled dossier on this forum to prove it!

I mean, remember the 90's when Fall Out Boy told us to Dance, Dance and Hawthorne Heights informed us that Ohio is for Lovers? I do!!!!!

That's something the 2000s was well known for, since Buzzfeed tends to be hypocritical on nostalgic posts.

Written By: 2001 on 01/15/17 at 7:08 pm

Delete your account! You can't even joke about that stuff, that song triggers me. Is my PTSD funny to you?! >:(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/15/17 at 7:27 pm

Delete your account! You can't even joke about that stuff, that song triggers me. Is my PTSD funny to you?! >:(

Sorry, I know that '00s era Snap Rap tends to do that to people. This song has a similar triggering effect on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SBN_ikibtg

Written By: wixness on 01/15/17 at 7:37 pm

Wish I watched more Skyland and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I had to get DVDs for the former. Two films for the Winx Club series, and maybe two or so seasons are unavailable online and I had to get DVDs for them as well. W.I.T.C.H. is also hard to find through the same medium. I also haven't yet got around to watching Teen Titans from that decade.

Most cartoons I remember watching from the 2000s were action cartoons. However, a cartoon I remember that wasn't action was The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and one of the things I liked about the show were the voice characterisations of the Grim Reaper and Dracula.

I think since Omniverse, Ben 10 has gone down, because of the cruddy animation styles they used on the characters ever since then.

As well as Winx Club, an Italian company called Rainbow owns the shows Huntik and Monster Allergy. Judging by the intro of Huntik, it looked quite cool.

And yes, they're all cult classics since there are a few diehard fans for many of them.

Written By: 2001 on 01/15/17 at 7:45 pm

Sorry, I know that '00s era Snap Rap tends to do that to people. This song has a similar triggering effect on me.

http://fotpforums.com/uploads/emoticons/default_slaycat.png

I wouldn't have minded all this bad music if I wasn't forced to listen to everyone's ringtones in the hallways. Dark times.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/15/17 at 8:51 pm

Even as somebody who was an adult during the second half of the '00s, I've always thought '00s cartoons have kinda gotten a bad rap. I still watched some (then current) shows when I was in college like Codename Kids Next Door, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy and American Dragon: Jake Long from time to time and didn't feel they were that far off from the shows I watched as kid in the '90s.
I'm with you. I have watched many 00s cartoons after my childhood and they were not terrible as some of those ignorant folks make it out to be. Some may have been mediocre at best, but that doesn't mean the rest were.

Nah, they ended in Fall 1999. It was the Y2K era by then.

How is this song already a decade old? It was everywhere on the radio.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/15/17 at 9:10 pm

As much as this song is probably my least favorite from the 2000s (as in, the whole decade), how the hell did people find it as a 2000s song? I remember hearing it one day last year, and I thought it was another generic 2010s song.

I'm with you. I have watched many 00s cartoons after my childhood and they were not terrible as some of those ignorant folks make it out to be. Some may have been mediocre at best, but that doesn't mean the rest were.

A lot of 2000s cartoons were very underrated, in my opinion. I don't know why people don't care about them so much, when the 2010s already proven that their cartoons aren't getting enough airtime. Nickelodeon's shows nowadays are a prime example of that.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/16/17 at 8:46 am

Honestly it easily could have.
bQSHAfzU5ks

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/16/17 at 4:53 pm

I think over time there will be a greater appreciation of Mid-Late 2000s cartoons, although not to the extent of cartoons produced in the 20th Century. Even though, i'm a bit surprised that cartoons produced at the time haven't (yet) been viewed with high acclaim. The second-half of the 2000s are mostly over a decade ago now, but there doesn't seem to be any genuine nostalgia or praise for cartoons produced at the time. In retrospect, 90s cartoons, such as Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy were always viewed as being "cult classics" throughout the 2000s, even though most 90s cartoons were only several years old. Even today, there seems to be a lot of appreciation for cartoons produced in the 90s, but not so much for cartoons produced in the 2000s. The 2000s aren't exactly recent anymore. Kids who grew up watching cartoons in the 2000s are not the ones who are still watching cartoons to this day, so it's not as if there is some sort of bias among kids towards cartoons produced a decade ago.

Now, if you were to ask me what would be the era of "cult classic cartoons", I would say that it would be cartoons produced in the 50s & 60s. However, it's all subjective anyway. You're never going to reach a definitive conclusion as to which era was truly the greatest in animation.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/16/17 at 5:28 pm

I think over time there will be a greater appreciation of Mid-Late 2000s cartoons, although not to the extent of cartoons produced in the 20th Century. Even though, i'm a bit surprised that cartoons produced at the time haven't (yet) been viewed with high acclaim. The second-half of the 2000s are mostly over a decade ago now, but there doesn't seem to be any genuine nostalgia or praise for cartoons produced at the time. In retrospect, 90s cartoons, such as Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy were always viewed as being "cult classics" throughout the 2000s, even though most 90s cartoons were only several years old. Even today, there seems to be a lot of appreciation for cartoons produced in the 90s, but not so much for cartoons produced in the 2000s.

One of the reasons might have to deal with 90s kids telling 2000s kids a few years ago that the decade truly sucked, although they're the ones who had an extreme bias towards children's entertainment. As much as I tried to see people who were positive towards cartoons made in 2004-2009, it doesn't really have a lot of results. I think I see a lot more bickering than reminiscing about mid-late 2000s cartoons, to be honest.

The 2000s aren't exactly recent anymore. Kids who grew up watching cartoons in the 2000s are not the ones who are still watching cartoons to this day, so it's not as if there is some sort of bias among kids towards cartoons produced a decade ago.

Same here. I never seem to watch a lot of cartoons since 2012. Mostly because I never found modern cartoons (from this decade) to be interesting. They all have the same generic progressive stuff (not that I'm against it) that they spew over to kids, except I see more children watching YouTube videos than cartoons nowadays. I think it's more towards the people who grew up during the 90s who are obsessed with cartoons now, while those who are children of the 2010s don't really care anymore. Some of them probably don't even have cable. They might have Netflix or other alternatives. With either reason, I think most kids are now more addicted towards the Internet than television.

Written By: wixness on 01/16/17 at 7:27 pm

One of the reasons might have to deal with 90s kids telling 2000s kids a few years ago that the decade truly sucked, although they're the ones who had an extreme bias towards children's entertainment. As much as I tried to see people who were positive towards cartoons made in 2004-2009, it doesn't really have a lot of results. I think I see a lot more bickering than reminiscing about mid-late 2000s cartoons, to be honest.

Same here. I never seem to watch a lot of cartoons since 2012. Mostly because I never found modern cartoons (from this decade) to be interesting. They all have the same generic progressive stuff (not that I'm against it) that they spew over to kids, except I see more children watching YouTube videos than cartoons nowadays. I think it's more towards the people who grew up during the 90s who are obsessed with cartoons now, while those who are children of the 2010s don't really care anymore. Some of them probably don't even have cable. They might have Netflix or other alternatives. With either reason, I think most kids are now more addicted towards the Internet than television.

I think you're on point here. I missed the edgier feel of cartoons in the 2000s like W.I.T.C.H. and Teen Titans.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/16/17 at 7:41 pm

I think you're on point here. I missed the edgier feel of cartoons in the 2000s like W.I.T.C.H. and Teen Titans.

I miss of when 2000s cartoons used to be more innocent and not as grimy.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/17/17 at 8:52 am

I'll highlight the shows I liked, disliked, or I thought were ok, so you could get a picture from my perspective:

Bold & Italic = Bad
Bold = Meh
Nothing = Good
Underlined=Never Heard of it or seen it

-Avatar: The Last Airbender (2005-08)

-Danny Phantom (2004-07)

-Shuriken School (2006-08)

-El Tigre (2007-08)

-Oban Star
racers (2006)

-Megas XLR (2004-05)

-Catscratch (2005-07)

-The Mighty Bee (2008-11)

-Wayside (2007-08)

-The Penguins of Madagascar (2008-15)

-Kappa Mikey (2006-08)

-Mr. Meaty (2005-09)

-Making Fiends (2008)

-Three Delivery (2008-09)

-Iron Man: Armored Adventures (2009-12)

-Random Cartoons! (2008-09)

-Corneil and Bernie (2004-08)

-Skyland (2005-07)

-Wolverine and the X-Men (2009)

-The Spectacular Spiderman (2008-09)

-Huntik: Secrets & Seekers (2009-12)

-The Marvelous Misadventures or Flapjack (2008-10)

-Chowder (2007-10)

-Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-14)

-The Secret Saturdays (2008-10)

-Ben 10 (2005-08)

-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (2004-09)

-Total Drama Island (2007-08)

-The Boondocks (2005-14)

-Class of 3000 (2006-08)

-Camp Lazlo (2005-08)

-Phineas and Ferb (2007-15)

-American Dragon: Jake Long (2005-07)

-Brandy and Mr. Whiskers (2004-06)

-Dave the Barbarian (2004-05)

-The Emperor's New School (2006-08)

-Wakfu (2008-14)

-Warner Bros Johnny Test: Season 1 (2005-06)

-Time Warp Trio (2005-06)

-Grossology (2006-09)

-Peep and the Big Wide World (2004-11)

-Growing up Creepie (2006-08)

-Class of the Titans (2005-08)

-Di-gata Defenders (2006-09)

-6teen (2004-10)

-Spliced (2009-10)

-Carl Squared (2005-11)

-Brady's Beasts (2005-06)

-Ruby Gloom (2006-08)

-The Tofus (2004-05)

-Delilah and Julius (2005-08)

-Fred's Head (2008)

-Delta State (2004-05)

-Being Ian (2005-08)

-Storm Hawks (2007-09)

-Eon Kid (2006)

-Jane and the Dragon (2005-06)

-Dragon Booster (2004-06)

-My Goldfish is Evil (2006)

-Galactic Football (2006-11)

-W.I.T.C.H. (2004-06)

-Winx Club (2004-15)

-Angel's Friends (2009-10)

-Lily the Witch (2004-13)

-World of Quest (2008-09)

-Magi-Nation (2007-10)

-A.T.O.M (2005-06)

-Monster Allergy (2005-16)

-Wordgirl (2007-15)

-Curious George (2006)

-The  Backyardigans (2004-10)

-Dragon (2004-07)

-Pinky Dinky Doo (2005-09)

-Pocoyo (2004-09)

-The Girl Who Hated Books (2006)

So most of those shows you listed I never heard of or I thought were just mediocre. Were those shows exclusively from Canada though? That could explain why I never heard or seen them before. For the ones I have seen though, they range from GREAT like Danny Phantom, Avatar, Foster's, etc. to piss poor like Total Drama Island. Personally as someone who spent most of their core childhood in the early & mid 2000's, I feel like the quality of cartoons (at least here in America) started to go downhill around in 2005. They didn't start to bounce back in quality until circa 2010

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/17/17 at 10:34 am

So most of those shows you listed I never heard of or I thought were just mediocre. Were those shows exclusively from Canada though? That could explain why I never heard or seen them before. For the ones I have seen though, they range from GREAT like Danny Phantom, Avatar, Foster's, etc. to piss poor like Total Drama Island. Personally as someone who spent most of their core childhood in the early & mid 2000's, I feel like the quality of cartoons (at least here in America) started to go downhill around in 2005. They didn't start to bounce back in quality until circa 2010

Well, I guess they're mostly Canadian cartoons. Although, I heard and saw a lot of them that you didn't heard of before. I guess you didn't watch a lot of cartoons during the late 2000s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/17/17 at 10:50 am

It may be off topic, it should go in the what was life like as a kid in the early 2000s, but anyways... 2002-2005 kinda felt the same to me AT THAT TIME. It was the Playstation 2, GBA, DBZ/Yu gi oh/Pokemon Advanced, That's so Raven/Kim Possible, Lord of the Rings/Early Harry Potter, Justice League/Teen Titans era.  I didn't realize until recent years there was somewhat of a shift during the 2004-05 season. :o

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/17/17 at 10:59 am

It may be off topic, it should go in the what was life like as a kid in the early 2000s, but anyways... 2002-2005 kinda felt the same to me AT THAT TIME. It was the Playstation 2, GBA, DBZ/Yu gi oh/Pokemon Advanced, That's so Raven/Kim Possible, Lord of the Rings/Early Harry Potter, Justice League/Teen Titans era.  I didn't realize until recent years there was somewhat of a shift during the 2004-05 season. :o

You didn't notice CN changing their logo, SNICK dying, or when most of the late 90s/early 00s shows like Rugrats, Lizzie McGuire, The Weekenders, As Told by Ginger, Johnny Bravo, Hey Arnold!, As Told by Ginger, Wild Thornberries, Samurai Jack, and Rocket Power(whew! 2004 had a long chopping block list) were all cancelled?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/17/17 at 12:26 pm

It was more of a shift during the 2005-06 season, since stuff was still the same throughout 2002-2005. By mid 2006, we already have a lot of classic Disney Channel shows that either ended or was cancelled, the DS was grown as a success, and a lot of people was shifting out of VHS tapes with DVDs.

Check for new replies or respond here...