inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MP4

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/24/17 at 7:03 am

I was reading the "2007 was a weird year"thread a few minutes ago, and after reading through several posts which mentioned the popularity of MP3s in the Late 2000s, it instantly reminded me of a media device, which surprisingly, never achieved popularity and disappeared from stores after a few months; the MP4.

MP4s were almost identical to MP3s, however the former had the ability to play more file types. I remember a few shops were selling MP4s around Mid-Late 2007, however they never caught on with customers and after a few months, they had largely disappeared from shops. At the time, I thought the MP4 was going to be the next 'big thing' and I genuinely thought that they were a 'step up' from the MP3. I actually received one for Christmas that year and I still own it today.

Can anyone else remember MP4s? In case you're interested, there is also a Wikipedia article based on the device as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP4_player

Subject: Re: MP4

Written By: violet_shy on 02/24/17 at 7:12 am

I had a media player that played both mp3 and mp4, that was in 2007-2008. I can't remember the name of it I think it was a Sansa media player, something like that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/24/17 at 8:12 am

My mom had a black iPod that played both MP3 and MP4 files. I think she got it around 2006, even though I used my portable DVD player more. It was broken a few years later though.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/24/17 at 1:24 pm

Oh yeah I remember. One of my friends had one in junior high school and I thought it was pretty cool but that was the only time I've seen one and I've never heard of them again. This was in 2007 or 2008 from what I can remember. It's weird it's like it just faded out of existence and I only remember it now that you've mentioned it lol.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/24/17 at 3:25 pm

This is the mp3/mp4 player I had ca. 2007 I took this little thing with me everywhere, until it stopped working correctly one day.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/sansa-m240-angle.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 02/24/17 at 5:57 pm

The iPod could only play .mp4 video files back then. If you had .AVI or DivX (forgot the file extension name), you had to buy a video file converter to convert the file to .mp4, which could take hours depending on how long the video was.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/24/17 at 6:10 pm

The iPod could only play .mp4 video files back then. If you had .AVI or DivX (forgot the file extension name), you had to buy a video file converter to convert the file to .mp4, which could take hours depending on how long the video was.

This!

I always thought the iPod was the only MP3 player that could also play MP4 (video) files during the mid 2000s.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 7:14 pm

.mp4 files were everywhere though. I remember when Toonami Digital Arsenal made the switch from .mov to .mp4, it was around 2006 when it happened (I frequented that site a lot.)

Check for new replies or respond here...