inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone else do this? (2000's locations)

Written By: the2001 on 03/04/17 at 5:20 pm

You see a place that you used to hang out in 2009 and are disgusted, but you see another
location you hung out during like 2004 and look at the area fondly?

Subject: Re: Does anyone else do this? (2000's locations)

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/17 at 5:46 pm

Passing by middle school (2004-2006) is depressing. I look at the kids there and wonder if anyone of them are depressed as I was.  :(

There are a million areas that give me more fond memories than that ;D I like driving by/through my hometown though (that I lived in 1993-2004). Just even driving by it puts me in my happy place. Helps that it's a very scenic route too!

http://www.emeraldlakecamp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tubing.jpg

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/04/17 at 5:52 pm

Passing by middle school (2004-2006) is depressing. I look at the kids there and wonder if anyone of them are depressed as I was.  :(

There are a million areas that give me more fond memories than that ;D I like driving by/through my hometown though (that I lived in 1993-2004). Just even driving by it puts me in my happy place. Helps that it's a very scenic route too!

http://www.emeraldlakecamp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tubing.jpg

Try playing this song while driving through your 90s hometown to get the ultimate nostalgia/Canada vibe.

VonXOiIqxZs

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/17 at 8:25 pm

Whenever I'm at my grandparents house in Connecticut, it gives me a bit of a nostalgic feeling because I've been visiting them since I was a baby.

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/17 at 1:55 am

Try playing this song while driving through your 90s hometown to get the ultimate nostalgia/Canada vibe.

VonXOiIqxZs

Niice! I'll remember to play this song  if I'm the passenger ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/05/17 at 7:17 am

I thought I was the only one who did. Yeah. In my home state, visiting my preteen and early teenage neighborhood and seeing the houses I grew up in is like going back in time. Its amazing. The neighborhood also makes me think of the Late 90s since that's where we moved at the time. I generally associate playgrounds, the mall and P.E gyms with the Early 2000s and the airport, Houston Texas and the part of Atlanta we temporary lived more with the mid 2000s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/05/17 at 12:09 pm

I know this isn't 2000's so it goes against the topic a little bit, but I get nostalgic every time I drive by this.

http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2489/4077103380_82a4aa1713.jpg

Okay, it doesn't look like that anymore now (since it's been turned into a sporting goods store) but the building that used to be K-Mart here in my town gives me a rush of nostalgia whenever I see it. It reminds me of the early '90s and rushing to the toy aisle to see the latest TMNT action figures and begging my mom to buy one, or walking down the the electronics to check out what new games had come out for the SNES or Genesis since our last visit, then browsing the VHS tapes.

But it's not just my own individual memories that gives me that nostalgia, it's also just the "feel" of the time itself. Seeing that store reminds me of a "simpler" time before cell phones and the internet. A time when computers where a luxury item that only rich kids had, video games were still in 2D and "Big Box" stores still ruled the land. 8)

Here's another K-Mart picture from 1991 that leaves me feeling all warm and fuzzy. This is pretty much what the checkout area at our old one looked like, too.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4054/4616940393_4f04ac5107_b.jpg

Written By: mqg96 on 03/06/17 at 2:13 pm

Yeah. There are even late 90's locations from 1998-2000 I remember before the major changes in 2001. (you wouldn't understand unless you knew where I lived) In my hometown I can remember when certain areas were just a bunch of trees and how this part of town was the only Kroger, the only shoe carnival, or the only Publix you could go to and those were so old with short ceilings and a classic vibe to it. The Walmart in my hometown has been renovated in the inside and has been through so many construction changes since I was going there as a little boy. I remember when the McDonald's at Walmart used to be in the back of the store and it had a giant M sign, but in 2003 they moved it to the front and shrunk it down to its regular size. There's many 2000's locations or late 90's locations I'll do, but to me if the place has gone through changes so many times and so many new roads/stores have been built in that area it ruins my nostalgia for the location. The Georgia Aquarium and Disney World are major 2000's locations for me. Jamaica is my 2000's country since I visited there back in 2004.

Written By: Ripley on 03/06/17 at 7:12 pm

I get this way for ever past year. In particular 1990 through 2003. My school years. But going to my hometown I rarely think things since I've been up there so many times since school. But several other places get me memories, good and bad. Yeah I think of some school memories but I also think of memories from my old 2006-2014 job, which I miss regardless if the fact it was retail. But for those to in particular it more comes to me randonlmally.

Check for new replies or respond here...