inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Watched a home video from 2006, a few things I've noticed...

Written By: Slim95 on 03/07/17 at 9:47 pm

So a few nights ago I found an old video taken from 2006 and I would like to share some things I've noticed. It's sometimes hard to remember how life was back then from simply watching a movie or TV show because it isn't real life and it doesn't show the full picture. It's easy to make things look more modern in Hollywood with HD formats that were already around in 2006 and some other stuff that many of the general public didn't have. I must say I am quite surprised at how certain things looked very dated even from the short video I've watched. When I think about 2006, I sometimes don't see it as that long ago but after watching this video, I am quite surprised at how long ago it was and how dated it looked.

So first thing I've noticed is we still had an old fashioned white CRT computer monitor. We had two desktops (both running Windows XP of course) and my sister had a very fat and clunky laptop that was also from the early 2000s. When I saw this I was like "Wow, I can't believe we still used those big white monitors!" haha. Next we had a big CRT TV as well. I think we first got flat screens in '07 and I know quite a few of my friends who still had CRT TVs in 2006. That was also interesting to see. Another interesting thing I've noticed was the cars! There were so many older cars on the road. Now 2006 cars and 2017 cars may not be that different, but there were noticeably so many old model cars on the roads from the 1980s/1990s in 2006. This was the most interesting discovery because I didn't realize there were that many older cars on the road in '06 vs. today. Rock/punk was still popular in 2006; In the video my brother was listening to Hedley (a Canadian rock band) in the background and had these rock music posters, so that trend was still in before dying out a couple years later. In the video itself I haven't really noticed a huge difference in clothing though but it was just my family in there anyway. Everything looked different and we all looked younger! The video quality I believe was 640p, definitely less than 720p and we didn't have those 1080 or 2k videos we get on smartphones (no smartphones at all for that matter!) Unfortunately I wasn't able to see what cell phones people used but I believe flip phones were still very popular in 2006. Anyways this has really given me a different perspective on just how far off 2006 is from today, it was very interesting to watch.  :)

Subject: Re: Watched a home video from 2006, a few things I've noticed...

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/17 at 10:13 pm

Thanks for sharing. That's very nostalgic  :D

Now that you mention it, I also remember my little brother having to use our old white CRT computer (from 1999 or 2000?) as late as 2008 :o (but he had a bad laptop too)

I must have some home videos from 2006 when my sisters started learning how to walk. I'll see if I can find them ;D

Also did you listen to Hedley's latest songs... Tragic. Really bad EDM! Perfect was one of the best songs of 2009  :\'(

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/07/17 at 10:18 pm

Nothing like seeing an old home video to really show you what life was like back then. Thanks for sharing as it was interesting to read. Now you're making me think 2006 is even older than I thought it was. Got any home vids from pre-2006 or from 2007-2009?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/07/17 at 10:19 pm

Also did you listen to Hedley's latest songs... Tragic. Really bad EDM! Perfect was one of the best songs of 2009  :\'(

Oh yeah Hedley changed for the worst. They make awful songs now.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/07/17 at 10:19 pm

As I've mentioned before, 2006 is the last year that I think of as being remotely "old school".

Even best-selling author Thomas Friedman seems to agree with me here:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/27/2007-not-2016-year-world-turned-upside-down-rapid-technological-change

Written By: Slim95 on 03/07/17 at 10:20 pm

Nothing like seeing an old home video to really show you what life was like back then. Thanks for sharing as it was interesting to read. Now you're making me think 2006 is even older than I thought it was. Got any home vids from pre-2006 or from 2007-2009?

Yeah it got me nostalgic as well. I'm sure I have other videos from other years but it will take forever to find them. I don't even know how I stumbled across this video.  ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 03/07/17 at 10:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your story Slim95. :)

Reading your post has made me feel a bit nostalgic, as most of the things you mentioned are exactly how I picture 2006 as well. I agree with Zelek3 about 2006 being the last "old school" year. I think back to 2006 and there are just so many things which you can distinguish between then and now. It was a year before MP3s and Blu-Rays really peaked in popularity, with the latter emerging towards the end of 2007. The Gameboy Advance SP was still one of the most popular hand-held consoles at the time and you're right, flip phones were still very popular as well. I remember even that I used to use my discman, to listen to CDs on car tips.

I don't think this was the case in the US, but VHS was still quite popular at the time as well. Lots of people still visited Video/DVD stores to rent out a movie or a TV show. I can remember that all of the kids movies/TV shows, which were available to rent out at the time, were all on video. Most TV shows and music videos were still produced in 4:3 format. Plasma TVs were the only widescreen TVs you could purchase at the time, however they were unaffordable for most people and they were still largely absent in electronic stores.

In some ways, 2006 almost feels like a completely different world!  :o

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/07/17 at 10:56 pm

I don't think this was the case in the US, but VHS was still quite popular at the time as well. Lots of people still visited Video/DVD stores to rent out a movie or a TV show. I can remember that all of the kids movies/TV shows, which were available to rent out at the time, were all on video. Most TV shows and music videos were still produced in 4:3 format. Plasma TVs were the only widescreen TVs you could purchase at the time, however they were unaffordable for most people and they were still largely absent in electronic stores.

2006 was the last year where VHS was even SLIGHTLY relevant in the U.S. (the last movie to be released on VHS was "A History of Violence" in 2006), but its peak had already been passed since 2003.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/07/17 at 10:58 pm

Reading your post has made me feel a bit nostalgic, as most of the things you mentioned are exactly how I picture 2006 as well. I agree with Zelek3 about 2006 being the last "old school" year. I think back to 2006 and there are just so many things which you can distinguish between then and now. It was a year before MP3s and Blu-Rays really peaked in popularity, with the latter emerging towards the end of 2007. The Gameboy Advance SP was still one of the most popular hand-held consoles at the time and you're right, flip phones were still very popular as well. I remember even that I used to use my discman, to listen to CDs on car tips.

In some ways, 2006 almost feels like a completely different world!  :o

Not to mention, 2006 was the last year before Blockbuster was surpassed by Redbox and Netflix (the latter of which would begin its online streaming services in 2007).

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/07/17 at 11:39 pm

2006 is a funny year when looking back on it. Shame I found the year to be a bland and boring.  :-\\

But it's crazy to think it's been  11 years since the year had came and gone.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/08/17 at 1:57 am

2006 is a funny year when looking back on it. Shame I found the year to be a bland and boring.  :-\\

But it's crazy to think it's been  11 years since the year had came and gone.

2006 was the bridge year between old-school and new-school

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/08/17 at 2:04 pm

As much as it pains me to say (because it means I'm getting old) 2006 is starting to look pretty dated by 2017 standards.

A few stray thoughts from that year I had...

*I discovered a little website called YouTube in January 2006. I was trying to look up the lyrics to some stupid song that I can't remember on Google, and in the process came across my very first YT video. My life was never the same again.

*My friends telling about this site I just had to join called "MySpace", because everybody else was using it. I created my first account that spring. Later that year, I remember everybody telling me about this hot new thing called  "The Facebook" that college kids were migrating to.

*Believe it or not, I still had dial-up internet during the first half of '06. Yes, you read that right. Dial-up. I didn't finally get a broadband connection until June 2006, when DSL became available in our area. That alone makes '06 seem old.

*Still had a crappy old 26" CRT television set in my room. HDTV's were just these mythical devices we would stare at whenever we went to Best Buy.

*The 2006 Rose Bowl game between USC and Texas. Man that game was hype. I watched the first half at a bar and then went home and watched the second half with my dad and saw that great finish with Vince Young running it in for the touchdown. Good times.

*For some reason, I was interested in the Format War that started that year between Blu Ray and HD-DVD, even though I wouldn't have a way to watch either for years.

*My cell phone (which I had only had a year) looked like this.

http://recently.rainweb.net/modls/blog/images/2005/07/24_1415_1.jpg

*Ringtones were still a huge deal. I used to spend hours trying various ones out in the Verizon Ringtones Store until I found the perfect one.

*I didn't finally pony up and buy an MP3 player until late 2006, so most of the year I still using my Discman.

*Young folk used to actually still go and hang out at the mall. Hot Topic in particular was a big deal in '06. Unfortunately, I have several embarrassing t-shirts I brought from there to attest to this fact. :-[

*The 6th generation still dominated the gaming landscape for most of the year. I got an Xbox 360 at launch in November '05, but games were slow in coming out, so I spent most of the year still playing PlayStation 2.

Written By: the2001 on 03/08/17 at 4:23 pm

So a few nights ago I found an old video taken from 2006 and I would like to share some things I've noticed. It's sometimes hard to remember how life was back then from simply watching a movie or TV show because it isn't real life and it doesn't show the full picture. It's easy to make things look more modern in Hollywood with HD formats that were already around in 2006 and some other stuff that many of the general public didn't have. I must say I am quite surprised at how certain things looked very dated even from the short video I've watched. When I think about 2006, I sometimes don't see it as that long ago but after watching this video, I am quite surprised at how long ago it was and how dated it looked.

So first thing I've noticed is we still had an old fashioned white CRT computer monitor. We had two desktops (both running Windows XP of course) and my sister had a very fat and clunky laptop that was also from the early 2000s. When I saw this I was like "Wow, I can't believe we still used those big white monitors!" haha. Next we had a big CRT TV as well. I think we first got flat screens in '07 and I know quite a few of my friends who still had CRT TVs in 2006. That was also interesting to see. Another interesting thing I've noticed was the cars! There were so many older cars on the road. Now 2006 cars and 2017 cars may not be that different, but there were noticeably so many old model cars on the roads from the 1980s/1990s in 2006. This was the most interesting discovery because I didn't realize there were that many older cars on the road in '06 vs. today. Rock/punk was still popular in 2006; In the video my brother was listening to Hedley (a Canadian rock band) in the background and had these rock music posters, so that trend was still in before dying out a couple years later. In the video itself I haven't really noticed a huge difference in clothing though but it was just my family in there anyway. Everything looked different and we all looked younger! The video quality I believe was 640p, definitely less than 720p and we didn't have those 1080 or 2k videos we get on smartphones (no smartphones at all for that matter!) Unfortunately I wasn't able to see what cell phones people used but I believe flip phones were still very popular in 2006. Anyways this has really given me a different perspective on just how far off 2006 is from today, it was very interesting to watch.  :)

Reminded me of this home video of an apple store at the mall in 2006

IcBd3jT_S5M Wifi was such a new thing back then

Written By: 2001 on 03/08/17 at 6:17 pm

Reminded me of this home video of an apple store at the mall in 2006

Wifi was such a new thing back then

I told everyone that skinny jeans were not a thing in 2006. They didn't believe me!

Vindicated!

Nice video though. I also got WiFi mid-2006, so I could play Mario Kart DS online. :)

Written By: 2001 on 03/08/17 at 6:20 pm

As much as it pains me to say (because it means I'm getting old) 2006 is starting to look pretty dated by 2017 standards.

A few stray thoughts from that year I had...

*I discovered a little website called YouTube in January 2006. I was trying to look up the lyrics to some stupid song that I can't remember on Google, and in the process came across my very first YT video. My life was never the same again.

*My friends telling about this site I just had to join called "MySpace", because everybody else was using it. I created my first account that spring. Later that year, I remember everybody telling me about this hot new thing called  "The Facebook" that college kids were migrating to.

*Believe it or not, I still had dial-up internet during the first half of '06. Yes, you read that right. Dial-up. I didn't finally get a broadband connection until June 2006, when DSL became available in our area. That alone makes '06 seem old.

*Still had a crappy old 26" CRT television set in my room. HDTV's were just these mythical devices we would stare at whenever we went to Best Buy.

*The 2006 Rose Bowl game between USC and Texas. Man that game was hype. I watched the first half at a bar and then went home and watched the second half with my dad and saw that great finish with Vince Young running it in for the touchdown. Good times.

*For some reason, I was interested in the Format War that started that year between Blu Ray and HD-DVD, even though I wouldn't have a way to watch either for years.

*My cell phone (which I had only had a year) looked like this.

http://recently.rainweb.net/modls/blog/images/2005/07/24_1415_1.jpg

*Ringtones were still a huge deal. I used to spend hours trying various ones out in the Verizon Ringtones Store until I found the perfect one.

*I didn't finally pony up and buy an MP3 player until late 2006, so most of the year I still using my Discman.

*Young folk used to actually still go and hang out at the mall. Hot Topic in particular was a big deal in '06. Unfortunately, I have several embarrassing t-shirts I brought from there to attest to this fact. :-[

*The 6th generation still dominated the gaming landscape for most of the year. I got an Xbox 360 at launch in November '05, but games were slow in coming out, so I spent most of the year still playing PlayStation 2.

Ringtone rap was everywhere in 2006, and 2007.  :-[

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/08/17 at 10:36 pm

Looking back, 2006 was the last hurrah of the 80's, 90's, & 00's economic prosperity here in the West. The stock market was doing well, suburbanization and gentrification was rising, the housing bubble was at its peak, there were massive leaps in technology with the advent of smartphones and HDTVs, etc.

Everything that made the 2000's the 'decade of greed' and materialism culminated in 2006. The year of ringtone rap, 'bling bling', Motorola Razrs, Paris Hilton, Abercrombie, Hannah Montana, Hips Don't Lie, Laguna Beach, Pimp My Ride, and the Wii. Then in 2007, and especially 2008, it all went downhill.

Its also pretty funny how my core childhood ended this year, along with many other transformative changes in my personal life this year, sort of like an end of a era. Just these reasons alone be it my own personal life, the technology, fads, fashion, etc, I agree that 2006 was the last 'old school' year as in its heavy connections with the optimistic culture of the Late 20th century, hence why it seems so dated in comparison to 2017.

Contrary to popular belief (and a bit sacrilege to say, but I digress) but I honestly do not think that the 9/11 attacks was the REAL catalyst to our current modern society. It was definitely a contributor, A MAJOR one definitely, but not the dramatic culture shift in our Western mindset. We were more paranoid, but the economy shortly after made a rebound, although due to record low interest rates hence why it was dubbed a 'jobless recovery', technology continued to make big leaps but we were still living within the Web 1.0 era of the internet and physical media (VHS, CDs, DVDs, etc.) were still the norm, and people pretty much went back to their usual ways. I'd argue that the REAL 21st century didn't truly begin until around 2008-2009 when the economy officially went down the drain, the Iraq War was so unpopular that Bush's approval ratings declined massively and it was used as rhetoric by many politicians to change our military industrial complex, social media was officially a mainstay with Facebook and YouTube reaching mass acceptance along with the release of Twitter in 2009, and when we elected Barack Obama in 2008 the first African-American president. Looking back, 2008 was like the year we were entering 'the future' in a sense, hence why 2008 despite being 9 years old really doesn't seem that long ago in the same way 2007 and before does.

Anyways while 2006 is not my favorite 2000's year from a cultural standpoint (I'd take 2003-2005 any day of the week), the year still retains many special memories from my personal life and it'll probably remain one of the best (if not the best) years of my life. Long live 2006 and all its awesome (and equally cringeworthy ;D) 'Ringtone Rap' Glory 8)

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/08/17 at 11:11 pm

Contrary to popular belief (and a bit sacrilege to say, but I digress) but I honestly do not think that the 9/11 attacks was the REAL catalyst to our current modern society. It was definitely a contributor, A MAJOR one definitely, but not the dramatic culture shift in our Western mindset. We were more paranoid, but the economy shortly after made a rebound, although due to record low interest rates hence why it was dubbed a 'jobless recovery', technology continued to make big leaps but we were still living within the Web 1.0 era of the internet and physical media (VHS, CDs, DVDs, etc.) were still the norm, and people pretty much went back to their usual ways. I'd argue that the REAL 21st century didn't truly begin until around 2008-2009 when the economy officially went down the drain, the Iraq War was so unpopular that Bush's approval ratings declined massively and it was used as rhetoric by many politicians to change our military industrial complex, social media was officially a mainstay with Facebook and YouTube reaching mass acceptance along with the release of Twitter in 2009, and when we elected Barack Obama in 2008 the first African-American president. Looking back, 2008 was like the year we were entering 'the future' in a sense, hence why 2008 despite being 9 years old really doesn't seem that long ago in the same way 2007 and before does.

9/11 wasn't the total start of modern society, but it was a stepping stone. 2008 was another stepping stone. Every year since then has been more and more stepping stones as social media becomes bigger and the Internet loses that "niche" feeling it used to have (heck, I'd say even 2011 Internet feels "small" compared to today).

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/09/17 at 5:19 pm

To me 9/11 did have a BIG effect on politics. But in terms of pop culture these things weren't as effected badly. Was there an effect on pop culture? Yes, but it certainly wasn't so big to the point where it wasn't comparable to the previous years. If you look at a lot of things regarding pop culture the things that were changing had nothing to do with 9/11. Music trends remain largely the same. Video games were the same (you'd have games that were influenced by 9/11, but these wouldn't be until way after 2001). Sitcoms remained just as wacky as they were pre-9/11. Fashion changes constantly especially in rapid changing decades (for example 1992 fashion isn't the same fashion from 1996/'97). And in things like Kid-young teen culture things were pretty much the same.

I can get 9/11 being  stepping stone to modern society, but I'd also say that 2008 onward would be the starting points. Pre-2008 years don't even match well with modern society. Early 2000s (even Post-9/11 2001) certainly don't feel anything like 2017. Same goes for the core 2000s up to 2007.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/09/17 at 5:49 pm

9/11 wasn't the total start of modern society, but it was a stepping stone. 2008 was another stepping stone. Every year since then has been more and more stepping stones as social media becomes bigger and the Internet loses that "niche" feeling it used to have (heck, I'd say even 2011 Internet feels "small" compared to today).

To me 9/11 did have a BIG effect on politics. But in terms of pop culture these things weren't as effected badly. Was there an effect on pop culture? Yes, but it certainly wasn't so big to the point where it wasn't comparable to the previous years. If you look at a lot of things regarding pop culture the things that were changing had nothing to do with 9/11. Music trends remain largely the same. Video games were the same (you'd have games that were influenced by 9/11, but these wouldn't be until way after 2001). Sitcoms remained just as wacky as they were pre-9/11. Fashion changes constantly especially in rapid changing decades (for example 1992 fashion isn't the same fashion from 1996/'97). And in things like Kid-young teen culture things were pretty much the same.

I can get 9/11 being  stepping stone to modern society, but I'd also say that 2008 onward would be the starting points. Pre-2008 years don't even match well with modern society. Early 2000s (even Post-9/11 2001) certainly don't feel anything like 2017. Same goes for the core 2000s up to 2007.

Maybe late 2008 might have to deal with something like this. It was around the time when Obama got elected, and it was pretty historical for its time. Back then, political hysteria wasn't that bad when Bush was president (despite his foolish speeches). But after Obama got elected, people (especially die-hard Republicans) went batsh*t crazy about him. So maybe that's where the political hatred came from (I think).

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/17 at 6:49 am

2006 is when the iPod became ubiquitous. They called us "the iPod generation". I remember in my school, if you didn't have an iPod or a phon/PSP that could play MP3s, you would get picked on.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/10/17 at 9:39 am

2006 is when the iPod became ubiquitous. They called us "the iPod generation". I remember in my school, if you didn't have an iPod or a phon/PSP that could play MP3s, you would get picked on.

You're right about that, and it's kind of amazing how quick things changed. The iPod launched in late 2001, but only had modest sales for it's first few years. During my last year in high school in 2004-05, I remember maybe a dozen or so kids having an iPod, and they all came from fairly well-off families. Then, all of a sudden, it just exploded during the second half of 2005. By Fall of '06 I was one of only about a handful of people I knew that didn't have an iPod or some type of MP3 player.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/10/17 at 10:01 am

You're right about that, and it's kind of amazing how quick things changed. The iPod launched in late 2001, but only had modest sales for it's first few years. During my last year in high school in 2004-05, I remember maybe a dozen or so kids having an iPod, and they all came from fairly well-off families. Then, all of a sudden, it just exploded during the second half of 2005. By Fall of '06 I was one of only about a handful of people I knew that didn't have an iPod or some type of MP3 player.

My mom had a black iPod that could play music and videos. But I didn't felt as proud of it compared to my computer. It might be like that because I love using Microsoft products. Even to this day, I still prefer Microsoft. However, I think Apple had a great contribution towards the computer industry (especially with Steve Jobs).

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/17 at 10:37 am

The iPod came out in late 2001, but you needed iTunes, which was only available for Mac OS. You could get it to run on Windows with third party software but no one really bothered. iTunes didn't launch for Windows until late 2003. Even then, the iPod could still not charge on a Windows computer without a Firewire to USB adapter. It could only sync music with a USB, but not charge. That changed with the 4th generation which came out late 2004. From them on, the iPod was fully compatible with Windows out of the box. That's why people started getting iPods in 2004-2005 school year, and why they became almost fashionably necessary by the end of 2005-2006. :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/10/17 at 11:58 am

The iPod came out in late 2001, but you needed iTunes, which was only available for Mac OS. You could get it to run on Windows with third party software but no one really bothered. iTunes didn't launch for Windows until late 2003. Even then, the iPod could still not charge on a Windows computer without a Firewire to USB adapter. It could only sync music with a USB, but not charge. That changed with the 4th generation which came out late 2004. From them on, the iPod was fully compatible with Windows out of the box. That's why people started getting iPods in 2004-2005 school year, and why they became almost fashionably necessary by the end of 2005-2006. :D

Yeah, no doubt that iTunes for Windows was the game changer, as that was the OS used by the overwhelming majority of people at that time. Also, the rise of broadband internet during the mid '00s played a huge role in this as well. I know that, even if iTunes had been available on Windows in 2001 or 2002, it still would not have logistically possible for me to download songs due to my terribly slow dial-up.

While we're on the subject of the iPod, lets not forget that late 2005 also saw the introduction of the 5th Gen iPod, which was the first with video playback capability. This, along with the launch of the PSP earlier that year, was what really kick started the portable video revolution that we enjoy today.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/10/17 at 1:12 pm

THIS. I actually remember when my two older sisters got their first iPods in Late 2005. It was the first generation iPod Nano and I remember (sneakily) listening to their playlists back then 8).

My first iPod was the iPod Touch 3rd Gen iPod Touch for Christmas in 2009. Infact I still got the baby, barely works though since the screen had been shattered...

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/17 at 2:49 pm

Yeah, no doubt that iTunes for Windows was the game changer, as that was the OS used by the overwhelming majority of people at that time. Also, the rise of broadband internet during the mid '00s played a huge role in this as well. I know that, even if iTunes had been available on Windows in 2001 or 2002, it still would not have logistically possible for me to download songs due to my terribly slow dial-up.

While we're on the subject of the iPod, lets not forget that late 2005 also saw the introduction of the 5th Gen iPod, which was the first with video playback capability. This, along with the launch of the PSP earlier that year, was what really kick started the portable video revolution that we enjoy today.

You should be thankful you got out of K-12 before late 2005. Wi-Fi, portable video playback and middle school is an unholy combo.  :-X

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/10/17 at 3:06 pm

You should be thankful you got out of K-12 before late 2005. Wi-Fi, portable video playback and middle school is an unholy combo.  :-X

Good point. ;D

I got caught in my share of embarrassing situations when I was in middle school and high school like everybody does, but at least there are no videos of these humiliations saved for posterity. The worst I got in college was a few grainy cell phone videos taken of me acting stupid when I was completely wasted, but all the other kids in the video were too, so who really cares? ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/10/17 at 6:16 pm

Good point. ;D

I got caught in my share of embarrassing situations when I was in middle school and high school like everybody does, but at least there are no videos of these humiliations saved for posterity. The worst I got in college was a few grainy cell phone videos taken of me acting stupid when I was completely wasted, but all the other kids in the video were too, so who really cares? ;D

Yeah for us 90's babies Cyberbullying was a pretty big phenomenon when we were growing into pre teens/young teens, however it was a relatively new concept. Hence why there's countless old YouTube videos from the Late 2000's of Middle & High Schoolers acting.... 'silly' to say the least.

Nowadays middle/high schoolers seem to be more conservative of what they post online. So much so that Snapchat is practically everywhere, an app notorious for those short 5-10 second videos that usually get automatically erased after a day or so.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/10/17 at 6:21 pm

Yeah for us 90's babies Cyberbullying was a pretty big phenomenon when we were growing into pre teens/young teens, however it was a relatively new concept. Hence why there's countless old YouTube videos from the Late 2000's of Middle & High Schoolers acting.... 'silly' to say the least.

Nowadays middle/high schoolers seem to be more conservative of what they post online. So much so that Snapchat is practically everywhere, an app notorious for those short 5-10 second videos that usually get automatically erased after a day or so.

Part of the reason teens are more conservative on the internet is because of how more dangerous social media has become over the years and people who can track you down. You can easily be exposed all over the internet or news in one post these days. The internet was still a threat back in the late 2000's but anybody would agree that it's a lot more sensitive now.

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/17 at 6:46 pm

Hmm, I thought "unholy" would've given it away. You guys are too pure!! I was talking about sexy videos  :-[

I grew up in the cyber bullying age, and I got bullied a lot at school, but I'm thankful I avoided bringing it home. I made efficient use of the MSN block button, and I never brought my cell phone to school (or I'd never take it out of my bag), because I was afraid they'd get my number and start sending me prank calls and stuff. Most people were shocked once they learned I had a cell phone, that's how I liked it ;D

Facebook in early 2009 was my first social media account. By then I had a defence force of SJWs, so it was all safe ;D (and I didn't add people I didn't get along with obviously).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/10/17 at 8:42 pm

As much as I don't like late 90s and early 2000s babies, they at least have more intelligence than those who witnessed "cyberbullying". Even for myself who witnessed something similar, I would never try to do something incredibly stupid to have someone get my personal info on the Internet. Although, I do remember going into an assembly that talked about this 13-year-old kid who killed himself after being harassed on AIM. So, I guess I could say that cyberbullying was still a threat to most people by late 2013/early 2014, but it's not that bad anymore.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 03/10/17 at 11:47 pm

As much as I don't like late 90s and early 2000s babies, they at least have more intelligence than those who witnessed "cyberbullying".

How come you dislike people born in the Late 90s and Early 2000s?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/11/17 at 2:25 pm

How come you dislike people born in the Late 90s and Early 2000s?

Personally, I kinda like late 90s/early 2000s babies (at least those born before 2003). It's just that I don't like the general pop culture that's targeted towards today's teens (those born in the late 90s/early 00s). Hence why I like stuff more from the 80s, 90s, and even the 2000s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/13/17 at 3:11 am

How many 2006 do you guys need? I think the point's been made a hundred threads ago. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/17 at 9:00 am

How many 2006 do you guys need? I think the point's been made a hundred threads ago. ::)

We miss Hedley.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/13/17 at 1:41 pm

Lol it wasn't my intention to land on a video from 2006 and get nostalgic from it, but I agree there have been a lot threads about 2006 on here haha.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/13/17 at 1:45 pm

Well, 2006 was the swan song to the classic 00s, so of course we're going to talk about it a lot. It was a special year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/13/17 at 1:48 pm

Well, 2006 was the swan song to the classic 00s, so of course we're going to talk about it a lot. It was a special year.

The 2006-07 school year was more like the swan song towards the classic 00s. By the summer of 2007, almost every classic 00s show ended. Especially with the "cut to black" ending in The Sopranos' series finale.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/13/17 at 4:43 pm

Personally, I kinda like late 90s/early 2000s babies (at least those born before 2003). It's just that I don't like the general pop culture that's targeted towards today's teens (those born in the late 90s/early 00s). Hence why I like stuff more from the 80s, 90s, and even the 2000s.

To be fair, pop music's primary target audience has been teenagers since at least the late 1950s.

h9nE2spOw_o

This may be a classic now, but in 1969, only teenage girls liked it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/13/17 at 5:02 pm

To be fair, pop music's primary target audience has been teenagers since at least the late 1950s.

h9nE2spOw_o

I don't really see a lot of people like that song, aside from those who were in their teens and early 20s during the late 1960s.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/13/17 at 5:07 pm

I don't really see a lot of people like that song, aside from those who were in their teens and early 20s during the late 1960s.

I think a lot of pop music is that way though.  I have a strong affection for the late 2000s and early 2010s in pop music, but a lot of people strongly dislike that era.  I was in my early to mid twenties then, having the same of my life, and the music of the era was a soundtrack to it.

I don't think teen-focused music is always successful at appealing to its target audience either.  A lot of people have strong disdain for the mid 2000s ringtone rap era, even though they were the right age for it when it was popular.  There are also a lot of younger people today that dislike the Top 40 on the radio.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/13/17 at 5:12 pm

I think a lot of pop music is that way though.  I have a strong affection for the late 2000s and early 2010s in pop music, but a lot of people strongly dislike that era.  I was in my early to mid twenties then, having the same of my life, and the music of the era was a soundtrack to it.

I don't think teen-focused music is always successful at appealing to its target audience either.  A lot of people have strong disdain for the mid 2000s ringtone rap era, even though they were the right age for it when it was popular.  There are also a lot of younger people today that dislike the Top 40 on the radio.

Either due to the quality of the music being low or due to the fact that the younger people know when they're being targeted and pandered to. Instead of hearing genuine music they just hear music that is literally designed to be eaten up by teenagers. Although this isn't a modern thing as it has been this way for decades. Makes me wonder why now of all times do teens not like Top 40 radio music. Must be an era of hits & misses.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/13/17 at 5:24 pm

Music between late 2008-2011 had a strong affection within me, since they still had a lot of electropop vibes.

I feel that way towards today's music, since everything now is just blatant gibberish to me. At least for the mid 2000s, not all of its music was really ringtone rap. There was alternative rock, gothic metal, emo rock, and other genres. This decade is literally just rap and dull pop for a long time. People like me and SharksFan99 don't even feel interested into it, since it doesn't have that much depth into it. I'm not sure what musicians target towards their songs now, since it seems like people don't like their tones.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/17 at 5:25 pm

The classic 2000s were a mess. Give me the classique 2000s (2000-2003)! We need more threads on 2001. :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/13/17 at 5:40 pm

Either due to the quality of the music being low or due to the fact that the younger people know when they're being targeted and pandered to. Instead of hearing genuine music they just hear music that is literally designed to be eaten up by teenagers. Although this isn't a modern thing as it has been this way for decades. Makes me wonder why now of all times do teens not like Top 40 radio music. Must be an era of hits & misses.

As a 17 year old teenager, I think I could explain with this. You see, musicians target a demographic that might have the same feelings as them within that era. For instance, the 50s was about rock & rock, along with  blues, which involves lots of electric guitars. The 60s were about peaceful rock, while the 70s were about disco, and the list goes on and on. Musicians at one decade might go with the flow on one style, while they switch to another style by the next decade. They never really go for one trend for the rest of the career, otherwise they might be considered as outdated towards the mainstream audience.

For the 2010s, it seems easier to go listen to music on iTunes or other streaming software. So it seems more easy to listen to other decades of music without hesitation. Even with the Internet, they could always search up their favorite songs and listen to it on a video. Along with that, they could also take their smartphones and listen to any kind of music wherever they go. I'm not sure what does this have to do with the lack of rock in this decade, but it might be underground. It's not like they try to make people listen to rock, especially since there isn't a lot of people listening to the actual radio.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/13/17 at 5:47 pm

h9nE2spOw_o

I like the song! I think it was featured in the 1995 movie, Now and Then.  8)

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/13/17 at 6:23 pm

The classic 2000s were a mess. Give me the classique 2000s (2000-2003)! We need more threads on 2001. :)

Want more 2001? Here is a 2001 home video. Christmas for all.

ysmZ2nm7EM4

Written By: Shemp97 on 03/13/17 at 8:12 pm

Ah 2006,the year these Hip-hop classics dropped :D

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/Foodliquor.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Hell_Hath_No_Fury_Clipse_album_cover.jpg

52HvoQu0TTQ
Shame the release of these albums was a gongshow thanks to the labels.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/14/17 at 3:14 am

As much as I like the early 00's, all that debating I used to do regarding that era has totally tired me out on any discussions. Let's talk about the classic 80's, instead! 1984-1989 for life. 8)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 03/14/17 at 3:33 am

Makes me wonder why now of all times do teens not like Top 40 radio music. Must be an era of hits & misses.

Even though this wouldn't apply to most teenagers, I think a substantial amount of teens are aware of the lack of variety on the charts and the overall decline in quality. None of my friends like the Top-40 music from this decade, and that's despite the fact that they are turning 18 and 17 years old this year respectively. They're in the target demographic for these songs, but the dancehall and EDM songs do not appeal to them (or myself) at all. One of my friends has songs such as "Tainted Love" and "Come on Eileen" on his phone/laptop, whilst the others like a variety of songs from the 70s, 80s, 90s and the Early-Mid 2000s.

This was never the case in previous decades, because the Top-40 charts largely catered for everyone. Take the Early 90s as an example; you had songs such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Even Flow" which catered for the rock fans, hip-hop/rap fans were treated with songs like "Good Vibrations" & "Jump", and coinciding with this, there were several sub-genres which still had a prominence on the charts, such as "hair metal", adult-contemporary and new jack-swing. Generally speaking, there were very few music fans who felt alienated over the genres present on the charts, which unfortunately, isn't the case today.

Looking at the current ARIA chart, there are nine Ed Sheeran songs currently within the Top 20! I understand that Ed Sheeran has just released a new album, but I personally can't remember a time when nine songs from a new album all peaked within the Top 20. If you're not an Ed Sheeran fan (like myself), then you're immediately going to feel discouraged from liking the current charts.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/17 at 12:55 pm

Want more 2001? Here is a 2001 home video. Christmas for all.

ysmZ2nm7EM4

Cool idea. I was going to start a new thread on old camcorder videos, but no reason to do that when we could just put them here.

Check this out. A cool showcase of the early '00s high school experience. This was not recorded at my school, but it actually looks pretty similar. It says May 2002, so this would've been the last month of my freshman year. Fun times. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGIfEK8kT0

Written By: bchris02 on 03/14/17 at 1:13 pm

Check this out. A cool showcase of the early '00s high school experience. This was not recorded at my school, but it actually looks pretty similar. It says May 2002, so this would've been the last month of my freshman year. Fun times. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGIfEK8kT0

Thanks for posting this.  I was a sophomore at that time.  That video takes me back into a world I've almost forgotten about.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/17 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for posting this.  I was a sophomore at that time.  That video takes me back into a world I've almost forgotten about.

I know! This guy walks by, like, a hundred teenagers and not one of them is holding a phone. It's like a completely different world compared to today. Kinda makes me feel a little old actually. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/14/17 at 1:33 pm

I know! This guy walks by, like, a hundred teenagers and not one of them is holding a phone. It's like a completely different world compared to today. Kinda makes me feel a little old actually. ;D

I wish I didn't live in a generation where they are obsessed with their smartphones. At least they could probably have desktop computers with either Windows or Mac OS at the time.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/14/17 at 1:53 pm

I wish I didn't live in a generation where they are obsessed with their smartphones. At least they could probably have desktop computers with either Windows or Mac OS at the time.

2002 was before the Mac resurgence, which really took off in the late '00s after Vista came out.  Through most of the '90s and early '00s, pretty much only graphics designers used Macs.

When I was in high school, more people didn't even have cell phones than had them and it was mostly pre-flipphones.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/14/17 at 2:28 pm

When I was in high school, more people didn't even have cell phones than had them and it was mostly pre-flipphones.

Yeah flip phones got popular in the mid 2000s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/14/17 at 2:28 pm

2002 was before the Mac resurgence, which really took off in the late '00s after Vista came out.  Through most of the '90s and early '00s, pretty much only graphics designers used Macs.

I don't think the release of Vista made some people switch to Macs during the late 2000s. I really loved my Dell Dimension computer that had Windows XP, but it was broken by 2007. For over a year, I had to deal with using an iMac G5 that I didn't really like that much. I missed using Windows at the time, and I tried several programs that could run XP. The only problem was that I didn't know how to set up an operating system, so it was difficult for me to do so. It wasn't until late 2008 when I finally got a PC that could run Windows, and I used it until 2012.

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/17 at 9:18 pm

Macs started getting popular around 2006/2007 (from what I remember), because they were good at video editing (Youtube/general) and worked really with Adobe Photoshop. They also apparently had amazing programs to help your write good blog posts. A lot of the "creative" types bought a Mac. :o

Nowadays, every other person has a Mac lol.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/14/17 at 9:38 pm

Before the late 00s you most likely owned  Windows PC. Macs were those "Weird" computers that only really tech savvy/rich people used. I was in 7th grade in 2002. I was mainly using Windows 2000 and XP at the local library.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/14/17 at 10:17 pm

Yeah 2006 is totally outdated. Flip-phones were still common. Not much online gaming (That truly didn't take off until CoD gained popularity). Windows XP was still current. Social media wasn't THAT huge thanks to the discovery. YouTube was still in its primitive stage. The atmosphere was not polarized like it is today, and the 6th gaming generation was current.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/15/17 at 5:13 pm

Yeah 2006 is totally outdated. Flip-phones were still common. Not much online gaming (That truly didn't take off until CoD gained popularity). Windows XP was still current. Social media wasn't THAT huge thanks to the discovery. YouTube was still in its primitive stage. The atmosphere was not polarized like it is today, and the 6th gaming generation was current.

The mid 2000s were the "golden age" of online gaming in my opinion, but you did it on PC back then.  Unreal Tournament 2004, Battlefield 2, and Counter Strike Source were much better than any of today's multiplayer shooters.  I stopped playing online games once I "outgrew" it in the late '00s and also when it's primary audience shifted from PCs to consoles.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/15/17 at 7:57 pm

The mid 2000s were the "golden age" of online gaming in my opinion, but you did it on PC back then.  Unreal Tournament 2004, Battlefield 2, and Counter Strike Source were much better than any of today's multiplayer shooters.  I stopped playing online games once I "outgrew" it in the late '00s and also when it's primary audience shifted from PCs to consoles.
It sure was. There were a lot to choose from, and they were generally great. I've had my fair of online gaming, but sometimes it gets boring.

Written By: 2001 on 03/15/17 at 8:57 pm

Counterstrike was everywhere when I was in middle school.  :o

I liked Halo 3 as well, though.  :-X

Check for new replies or respond here...