inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sixth generation Video Game Era (2001-2006)

Written By: the2001 on 03/14/17 at 4:50 pm

Platforms of the sixth generation include  Sony PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, and Microsoft Xbox, share your memories with these
systems.

3jU-4AJmdM8

Had Ps2 and Gamecube and loved them both, I had a Dreamcast as well but Sega went out of business in early 2001 sadly.

Subject: Re: Sixth generation Video Game Era (2001-2006)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/14/17 at 5:25 pm

I didn't really own any of the 6th gen consoles, but I did have a friend who had a Gamecube. I remember playing Luigi's Mansion once in his house with it.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/14/17 at 8:29 pm

I have amazing Gamecube memories. Super Smash Melee alone covers it majority of the time. It was nice watching people I'm close to play Dragon Ball Z Budokai located on the PS2. Adding Ty The Tasmanian Tiger and True Crime Streets of LA. I didn't enjoy watching Sly Cooper but it was nice seeing my close friend at the time immense himself into it.

The only Xbox memory I have is with Conker Live & Reloaded.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/14/17 at 8:57 pm

I have amazing Gamecube memories. Super Smash Melee alone covers it majority of the time. It was nice watching people I'm close to play Dragon Ball Z Budokai located on the PS2. Adding Ty The Tasmanian Tiger and True Crime Streets of LA. I didn't enjoy watching Sly Cooper but it was nice seeing my close friend at the time immense himself into it.

The only Xbox memory I have is with Conker Live & Reloaded.

That's my favorite game of all-time, no joke.

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/17 at 9:05 pm

The Gamecube gives me many fond memories of having red blood shot eyes after playing Mêlée or Double Dash for hours and hours at sleepovers with my friends. I still play them with some of those exact same friends to this day! ;D The tradition must never die!

Playstation 2 is also great. A bit harder to get nostalgic for though since my heyday with it was more recent (2005-2009). The PS2 games were so cheap by the late 2000s, I robbed the store ;D It was the JRPG king! Then there was Devil May Cry, Dragon Ball Z, Need For Speed, the Sims game, and so much more.

Props to the GBA too, that system is for real. The Yu-gi-oh games were life.  :-X Then there was Megaman, and Sonic, and the DBZ games too. Too bad Pokémon Ruby was trash though.  :-X :-X :-X

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/14/17 at 9:41 pm

Love the 6th gen. A console gen of a variety. Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox, Gamecube, and Gameboy Advance all had a ton of great games to them. Nice games like Devil May Cry, Klonoa 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Zelda Windwaker, Kingdom Hearts, Sly Cooper, Blinx, Beyond Good and Evil,, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Jak & Daxter, Mario Kart Double Dash, Paper Mario 1000 Door and a ton more.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/14/17 at 9:57 pm

I had memories with all of them, and lots of fun. :)

I would say my faves were the GameCube and PS2 since those were the two I played the most with the games I had. Super Mario Sunshine, GC Mario Partys, Def Jam, Kingdom Hearts, Crash Bandicoot, Mario Baseball and Soccer, Super Monkey Ball, 007 etc. You name it.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/14/17 at 10:18 pm

So, does anyone here concur with my fringe theory that Okami and God Hand were the finales to the golden age of video games?

They got in the door right before games began their DLC/casualization process.

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/17 at 11:10 pm

So, does anyone here concur with my fringe theory that Okami and God Hand were the finales to the golden age of video games?

They got in the door right before games began their DLC/casualization process.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 came out a few months later and that's better than Okami and won RPG GOTY 2007 from Gamespot. The only reason Okami went down in gaming legend is because it literally flopped and put its developers out of business. Unlike PERSONA 5 which is to come out in a few weeks and already has a 100 on Metacritic. 🔥

Oh yeah, Odin Sphere too. 🔥🔥

But really, PS2's best game other than DMC3 is Persona 4 which came out in 2009. 🔥🔥🔥

Written By: Howard on 03/15/17 at 7:01 am

Platforms of the sixth generation include  Sony PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, and Microsoft Xbox, share your memories with these
systems.

3jU-4AJmdM8

Had Ps2 and Gamecube and loved them both, I had a Dreamcast as well but Sega went out of business in early 2001 sadly.

I used to own a PS2, the skinny notebook version.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/15/17 at 11:17 am

Yaqn2zHurCsDkEvIzMiZaQ
cYTOY6-mK3QlfV7SlJmlMU
Ord0GhprPoo

There was something for all gamers. Never once would there be a moment where there wasn't a single set of games that appealed to you.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/15/17 at 12:35 pm

Yaqn2zHurCsDkEvIzMiZaQ
cYTOY6-mK3QlfV7SlJmlMU
Ord0GhprPoo

There was something for all gamers. Never once would there be a moment where there wasn't a single set of games that appealed to you.

The GBA is honestly the best console from the sixth generation.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/15/17 at 2:23 pm

I think the 6th gen might go down for me as the last great console generation, before the DLC phenomenon took over and it started taking like 5 or 6 years to make new games. I mean, remember how awesome it used to be to have GTA III coming out in 2001, Vice City in 2002 and San Andreas in 2004? It's already been four years since GTA V came out, and we're probably still several years away from seeing another new one.

Anyways, I have plenty of great memories from this era. When I finally got a PlayStation 2 for Christmas in 2001 that was legit one of the biggest days of my life. I had been looking forward to getting one for over a year by that point, and when the time finally came and I popped Gran Tourismo 3 into the disc tray, it was an awesome moment. I spent countless hours on my Gamecube in early '00s playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime and Super Mario Sunshine. I didn't get an Xbox until 2004, and it was probably my least favorite of the three consoles, but Halo, Fable, and Star Wars: KOTR all kicked ass.

I think the reason I remember this era so fondly is because this is when I really "came of age" as a teenager, and playing all of the violent "mature" games during the 6th gen was a big part of that experience. Hell, I even got drunk for the very first time at a Halo LAN party at my cousin's house in 2004. Fun times. 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...