inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 20th Anniversary of TOONAMI

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/17/17 at 6:05 pm

Its crazy how this TV block is now good ole' Twnety Years Old. Its crazy because I vividly remember watching this block religously in the early-mid 00's. In the early 2000's it was all about Dragon Ball/Z, Zoids, Batman Beyond, Ruroni Kenshin, Gundam, Sailor Moon, Justice League, and Yu Yu Hakusho to name a few!

In the mid 2000's it was all about Naruto, One Piece, Megas XLR, IGPX, Zatch Bell, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (don't judge ;D), Justice League Unlimited, and D.I.C.E to name a few!

TOONAMI looking back was just a kickass animation block and the fact that its still kicking today (with some obvious bumps on the road) still amazes me. What were some of your personal memories of the block? Plus what was your favorite shows on there?

For me I first watched TOONAMI around 2001 at a relatives house. However, I didn't start watching it regularly until around Late 2001/2002 when my family got cable for the entire household. I actually found this Cartoon Network Schedule from Friday December 21st, 2001 showcasing all of the old school Cartoon Network favorites, along with good ole' TOONAMI itself 8)

Friday, December 21st, 2001
TIME PROGRAM RTG. # TITLE(S)
6:00am ReBoot TV-Y7FV 20 Nullzilla
6:30am Max Steel TV-Y7FV 307 Special Delivery
7:00am Bugs & Daffy TV-G -- (Repeat of Thursday 1:00pm)
8:00am Ed, Edd n Eddy TV-Y7 17 Hands Across Ed / Floss Yer Ed
8:30am Mike, Lu & Og TV-G 12 Nobody's Nose / Scuba Doobie Doo
9:00am Alvin & The Chipmunks TV-G 26 Hat Today, Gone Tomorrow / Snow Wrong
9:30am Tom & Jerry Kids TV-G 9105 Krazy Klaws / Tyke On A Bike / Tarmutt of the Apes
10:00am Flintstones TV-G 33 Fred Flintstone Woos Again
10:30am Flintstones TV-G 34 Rock Quarry Story, The
11:00am Smurfs TV-G 29 Papa's Family Album
11:30am Smurfs TV-G 30 Love Thoses Smurfs / Mutiny on the Smurf
12:00pm A Pup Named Scooby-Doo TV-G 8903 The Spirit Of Rock 'N Roll
12:30pm Scooby & Scrappy TV-G 7915 Lock The Door, It's A Minotaur
1:00pm Bugs & Daffy TV-G -- (Elements)
2:00pm Tom & Jerry TV-G -- (Elements)
3:00pm Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? TV-G 7006 A Tiki Scare Is No Fair
3:30pm Johnny Bravo TV-Y7 8 Substitute Teacher / Wolf In Chick's Clothing / Intensive Care
4:00pm Ed, Edd n Eddy TV-Y7 22 Honor Thy Ed / Scrambled Ed
4:30pm Dexter's Laboratory TV-G 9643 The Old Switcherooms / Trick or Treehouse / Paper Route Bout
5:00pm Zoids TV-Y7FV 17 Episode 17
5:30pm Dragon Ball Z TV-Y7FV 214 Vegeta's Pride
6:00pm Dragon Ball Z TV-Y7FV 215 The Long Awaited Flight
6:30pm Batman Beyond TV-Y7FV 50 The Call, Part 1
7:00pm Justice League 1 Secret Origins, Pt. 1
7:30pm Samurai Jack TV-Y7FV 10 X
8:00pm Dexter's Laboratory TV-G 9614 Beard to be Feared / Quacker Evil Fowl / Ant Pants
8:30pm Dexter's Laboratory TV-G 9615 Mom & Jerry / Chubby Cheese / Crazy Robot
9:00pm A Johnny Bravo Christmas TV-Y7
9:30pm Powerpuff Girls TV-Y7FV 21 Mo Job / Pet Feud
10:00pm Time Squad TV-Y7 13 Houdini Whodunit?! / Feud For Thought
10:30pm Grim & Evil TV-Y7FV 5 Devolver Pt. 1 / Recipe For Disaster / Devolver Pt. 2
11:00pm Courage the Cowardly Dog TV-Y7 27 Muriel Meets Her Match / Courage vs. Mecha-Courage
11:30pm Ed, Edd n Eddy TV-Y7 29 It Came From Outer Ed / 3 Square Plus An Ed
12:00am Dragon Ball Z TV-Y7FV 194 Camera Shy
12:30am Outlaw Star TV-Y7FV 112 Mortal Combat with the El Dorado
1:00am Acme Hour TV-G -- (Elements)
2:00am New Scooby-Doo Movies TV-G 7305 The Exterminator
3:00am Bugs & Daffy TV-G -- (Repeat of 1:00pm)
3:30am Tom & Jerry TV-G -- (Repeat of 2:00pm)
4:00am Flintstones TV-G 33 Fred Flintstone Woos Again
4:30am Scooby-Doo TV-G 7623 The Ozark Witch Switch
5:00am 2 Stupid Dogs TV-Y7 -- (Elements)
5:30am Freakazoid! TV-G 5 Foamy The Freakadog / Office Visit / Ode to Leonard Nimoy / Emergency Broadcast System

For guys looking for the link: http://www.toonzone.net/shows/cnschedules/2001-12/21.html

Damn this just brings me back!

Subject: Re: The 20th Anniversary of TOONAMI

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/17 at 6:30 pm

If it is the 20th anniversary that would make it 1997, not during the 2000s?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/17/17 at 6:40 pm

If it is the 20th anniversary that would make it 1997, not during the 2000s?

True, but the network ran mostly in the 2000's. Hence why I decided to post it here

Written By: mqg96 on 03/17/17 at 7:38 pm

I started watching Toonami in 2002 was it was still in the TOM 2 era and stopped watching it once TOM 4 debuted in 2007. TOM 3 was my favorite era of Toonami. 2003 Toonami on weekdays and 2005 Toonami on Saturday nights (Naruto and Uncut DBZ ftw!). I also consider SVES action block which aired on Saturday nights to be part of 2003 Toonami as well.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/17/17 at 7:39 pm

In the mid 2000's it was all about Naruto, One Piece, Megas XLR, IGPX, Zatch Bell, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (don't judge ;D), Justice League Unlimited, and D.I.C.E to name a few!

Uncut version of Dragon Ball Z too!

and how could you forget Teen Titans!

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/17/17 at 8:25 pm

I feel like typing a memory response is repeating my self. Haha Yeah. I have great memories with the block. You really did forget Teen Titans. I disagree with One Piece though. I even knew at the time no one cared for it. It was just there waiting to be replaced.

Zatch Bell went hard and I did enjoy Bobobo. That's some major 2005 memories.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/17/17 at 8:42 pm

Damn. I don't think I watched Toonami a lot. By the time I was really into Cartoon Network during the late 2000s, I watched either the regular block or the Adult Swim block (8pm-9pm usually). Toonami was like an extension to Adult Swim from my perspective. It may not be the case within the late 90s/early-mid 2000s, but it's not like I was fully into the channel by the time I was 4-6.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/17/17 at 9:55 pm

I started watching Toonami in like 2003 or 2004. I watched shows like DBZ, Naruto, Teen Titans, Samurai Jack, Megas XLR, Justice League Unlimited, Zatch Bell, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo on Toonami. However, I definetly recognize the importance that Toonami played in FULLY bringing anime into the American consciousnesses and the influence  it had on many people who grew up in the late 1990s & 2000s, Toonami introduced a generation to anime. Happy 20th Anniversary Toonami!  :)  STAY GOLD!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/17 at 3:01 am

I started watching Toonami in 2002 was it was still in the TOM 2 era and stopped watching it once TOM 4 debuted in 2007. TOM 3 was my favorite era of Toonami. 2003 Toonami on weekdays and 2005 Toonami on Saturday nights (Naruto and Uncut DBZ ftw!). I also consider SVES action block which aired on Saturday nights to be part of 2003 Toonami as well.

#FACTS

The era from 2003-2005/6 was probably the pinnacle of the block! 2003-2004 had probably the best weekday lineup ranging from Dragon Ball/Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ruroni Kenshin, Teen Titans, etc.

And 2004-early 2006 was great for its Saturday night shows like Naruto, Teen Titans, One Piece, IGPX, etc.

That era from 2003-2006, aka from ages 7-10 was just the pinnacle of greatness 8). However I do have a soft spot for the TOM 2 era, aka 2000-2003, too! It was what introduced me to the block in 2001, and it actually had my favorite version of TOM on there!

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/18/17 at 2:58 pm

Saturday Nights was always a blast. Nothing but action shows and snacks. Was great in moments where I'd stay over a buddy's house and we'd just watch Toonami until it ended.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/17 at 3:02 pm

Saturday Nights was always a blast. Nothing but action shows and snacks. Was great in moments where I'd stay over a buddy's house and we'd just watch Toonami until it ended.

IKR. I remember every week in 4th grade eagerly anticipating for Saturday nights to just sit back and watch TOONAMI! Sometimes I'd have friends over and watch it with them. Damn those were the days 8)

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/18/17 at 3:04 pm

IKR. I remember every week in 4th grade eagerly anticipating for Saturday nights to just sit back and watch TOONAMI! Sometimes I'd have friends over and watch it with them. Damn those were the days 8)

Funny how in the 2000s Saturday Morning cartoons declined yet Saturday Night blocks/cartoons were the craze for Cartoon Network.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/17 at 3:06 pm

More TOONAMI nostalgia:

W_0hxqRlvH4

This was in 2003, probably my favorite year of the block! Seeing some of the proms for shows like Justice League, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, damn... this just brings me back!

Funny how in the 2000s Saturday Morning cartoons declined yet Saturday Night blocks/cartoons were the craze for Cartoon Network.

Yeah its funny how that worked. Right when SMC's were on their last legs in the mid 2000's other alternatives for watching animation on the weekends like Saturday nights on CN were rising. Heck this was around when streaming was starting to become common

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/18/17 at 3:08 pm

Loved Toonami from 2000 to 2006.

I think they went to sh*t in 2007, when they replaced the cool-looking TOM 3 with soccerball-faced TOM 4, as well as losing the variety in their schedule and mostly just showing Naruto.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/17 at 3:14 pm

Loved Toonami from 2000 to 2006.

I think they went to sh*t in 2007, when they replaced the cool-looking TOM 3 with soccerball-faced TOM 4, as well as losing the variety in their schedule and mostly just showing Naruto.

Yeah I agree with all of this! From 1999-2006 the block was amazing. It did take some time readjusting to watching it exclusively on Saturday nights though.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/19/17 at 3:55 pm

I'm probably one of the few posters here that actually watched Toonami back in the forgotten "Moltar era". It was honestly kind of weird back then, in 1997-98. At the time it aired mostly older stuff like Voltron and Johnny Quest. At that time the block didn't feel really "defined" yet. Like it still wasn't quite sure what it wanted to be.

I didn't start watching Toonami regularly until the fall of 1998, when they added Dragon Ball Z. I got hooked basically overnight. DBZ was basically like a soap opera for kids back in the late '90s, we'd race out of school every day as soon as the bell rang just so we wouldn't miss the start of the next new episode. When the Freeza Saga aired in 1999 that stuff was EPIC. I was over at my friend's house watching the episode when Goku finally went Super Sayain and that was legitimately one of the biggest moments of my life up to that point.

To me, I think Toonami peaked around 2000. I mean, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing? As a kid who'd grown up watching mostly comedic based cartoons like Doug, Rocko, Darkwing Duck, etc., these were basically the shows that introduced me to the concept that animated shows could actually have long, detailed storylines that didn't get resolved in one episode. For that reason, Toonami will always mean something to me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 4:22 pm

I'm probably one of the few posters here that actually watched Toonami back in the forgotten "Moltar era". It was honestly kind of weird back then, in 1997-98. At the time it aired mostly older stuff like Voltron and Johnny Quest. At that time the block didn't feel really "defined" yet. Like it still wasn't quite sure what it wanted to be.

I didn't start watching Toonami regularly until the fall of 1998, when they added Dragon Ball Z. I got hooked basically overnight. DBZ was basically like a soap opera for kids back in the late '90s, we'd race out of school every day as soon as the bell rang just so we wouldn't miss the start of the next new episode. When the Freeza Saga aired in 1999 that stuff was EPIC. I was over at my friend's house watching the episode when Goku finally went Super Sayain and that was legitimately one of the biggest moments of my life up to that point.

To me, I think Toonami peaked around 2000. I mean, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing? As a kid who'd grown up watching mostly comedic based cartoons like Doug, Rocko, Darkwing Duck, etc., these were basically the shows that introduced me to the concept that animated shows could actually have long, detailed storylines that didn't get resolved in one episode. For that reason, Toonami will always mean something to me.

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I was born in 1999 and I started watching Toonami in 2003/2004. I definetly missed the original era of Toonami (1997-2000) with Moltar but what you said was pretty accurate. I have seen video of Toonami during that time, 1997-2000 on YouTube and yeah it definetly wasn't fully defined in it what was but it was still cool. Then TOM came in 2000 and Toonami's been (mostly) awesome since. RIP to C. Martin Croker (the voice of Moltar), 1962-2016.  :\'(

Written By: mqg96 on 03/19/17 at 7:16 pm

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I was born in 1999 and I started watching Toonami in 2003/2004. I definetly missed the original era of Toonami (1997-2000) with Moltar but what you said was pretty accurate. I have seen video of Toonami during that time, 1997-2000 on YouTube and yeah it definetly wasn't fully defined in it what was but it was still cool. Then TOM came in 2000 and Toonami's been (mostly) awesome since. RIP to C. Martin Croker (the voice of Moltar), 1962-2016.  :\'(

TOM came in 1999, and for me Toonami peaked in 2003 because it was the only year with TOM 3 it was on weekdays and it was the year this underrated SVES block aired on Saturday nights with tons of action cartoons and anime all night long. It was a perfectly balanced throughout that year.

However, if I was being realistic I would say TOM 2 was the peak of Toonami's popularity on Cartoon Network, and the best lineup of shows were around throughout the TOM 2 era from Fall 2000-Spring 2003. TOM 2 was the peak of DBZ, Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, and all kinds of dark tone anime on CN, plus TOM 2 also had reruns of Superman: TAS, Batman: TAS, the original Dragon Ball, Batman Beyond, Powerpuff Girls, Hamtaro, and Zoids as well. I started watching Toonami in 2002 during the TOM 2 era. The reason I liked TOM 3 is because it's the one I mostly grew up with and I feel like 2003 Toonami and SVES had the most balanced lineups. 2005 Toonami on Saturday nights were epic on a whole another level as well.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 7:40 pm

TOM came in 1999, and for me Toonami peaked in 2003 because it was the only year with TOM 3 it was on weekdays and it was the year this underrated SVES block aired on Saturday nights with tons of action cartoons and anime all night long. It was a perfectly balanced throughout that year.

However, if I was being realistic I would say TOM 2 was the peak of Toonami's popularity on Cartoon Network, and the best lineup of shows were around throughout the TOM 2 era from Fall 2000-Spring 2003. TOM 2 was the peak of DBZ, Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, and all kinds of dark tone anime on CN, plus TOM 2 also had reruns of Superman: TAS, Batman: TAS, the original Dragon Ball, Batman Beyond, Powerpuff Girls, Hamtaro, and Zoids as well. I started watching Toonami in 2002 during the TOM 2 era. The reason I liked TOM 3 is because it's the one I mostly grew up with and I feel like 2003 Toonami and SVES had the most balanced lineups. 2005 Toonami on Saturday nights were epic on a whole another level as well.

I mispoke when I said that TOM came in 2000. TOM first appeared in July 1999. However, I agree with your statement. Toonami from 2003-2005 was awesome.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/19/17 at 9:07 pm

I'm not gonna lie I kind of wish I was born a little earlier so I could've caught to see TOONAMI first air in 97'. Yeah seeing old bumpers on YouTube the 'Moltar Era' definitely seemed a little weird. But at the end of the day the shows are what matters and I'm not gonna lie 1998 was a pretty pivotal year for the block with DBZ and Sailor Moon coming on the scene. Seeing that show for the first time as it was first airing in the U.S would've been pretty badass :D

Also would you happen to remember the original Ocean dub for DBZ by any chance? I've heard polarizing reviews of it, some claim it was the best dub in DBZ in history and others claim it was the worst. I'd be inclined to say it wasn't the best dub, but far from the worst either. Probably somewhere in the middle but hey that's just me!

Yeah I started watching TOONAMI during the TOM 2 Era which was probably the 'peak' in popularity of the block. DBZ, Sailor Moon, Zoids, Gundam, Transformers Armada, The Big O, etc. It featured my favorite version of TOM IMO plus you had the peak in popularity of my favorite TOONAMI show of all time Dragon Ball Z. To prove it let me show you this classic promo 8)

9qlfi-qPhzA

Written By: mqg96 on 03/19/17 at 9:29 pm

I'm not gonna lie I kind of wish I was born a little earlier so I could've caught to see TOONAMI first air in 97'. Yeah seeing old bumpers on YouTube the 'Moltar Era' definitely seemed a little weird. But at the end of the day the shows are what matters and I'm not gonna lie 1998 was a pretty pivotal year for the block with DBZ and Sailor Moon coming on the scene. Seeing that show for the first time as it was first airing in the U.S would've been pretty badass :D

Also would you happen to remember the original Ocean dub for DBZ by any chance? I've heard polarizing reviews of it, some claim it was the best dub in DBZ in history and others claim it was the worst. I'd be inclined to say it wasn't the best dub, but far from the worst either. Probably somewhere in the middle but hey that's just me!

The ocean dub of DBZ aired on Cartoon Network throughout the 1998-99 season. Late 1999 is when the Funimation dub of DBZ premiered on CN and that's when the peak began. 2003 was the last year of the original Funimation dub of DBZ then it was taken off CN in 2004 in place of DBGT. Then in 2005 DBZ returned to CN and they made it uncut which was awesome, however, at the same time Funimation re-dubbed the whole series. I didn't care though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 9:57 pm

Yeah I started watching TOONAMI during the TOM 2 Era which was probably the 'peak' in popularity of the block. DBZ, Sailor Moon, Zoids, Gundam, Transformers Armada, The Big O, etc. It featured my favorite version of TOM IMO plus you had the peak in popularity of my favorite TOONAMI show of all time Dragon Ball Z. To prove it let me show you this classic promo 8)

9qlfi-qPhzA

I fully agree, I which I got to see Toonami when it first aired on March 17, 1997 live as it happened. It would have been awesome. However, I'm still glad that I got to experience Toonami when it was good/great.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/19/17 at 11:22 pm

The ocean dub of DBZ aired on Cartoon Network throughout the 1998-99 season. Late 1999 is when the Funimation dub of DBZ premiered on CN and that's when the peak began. 2003 was the last year of the original Funimation dub of DBZ then it was taken off CN in 2004 in place of DBGT. Then in 2005 DBZ returned to CN and they made it uncut which was awesome, however, at the same time Funimation re-dubbed the whole series. I didn't care though.

Ok thanks for clearing that up ;) Yeah DBZ was like a soap opera for kids in the late 90's/early 00's. I would rush home from school and watch Toonami every evening to see what happens. BTW, I actually liked the re-dubbing of Funimation. Perhaps I'm a bit odd, but I've always found the voice acting in the re-dubbing a bit more natural. Plus they used the original musical score from Japan in which, as much as I love Bruce Falcouner's work, always seemed to click with the series better. Watching a great english dubbed DBZ episode with the original Japanese score is anime gold :D

I fully agree, I which I got to see Toonami when it first aired on March 17, 1997 live as it happened. It would have been awesome. However, I'm still glad that I got to experience Toonami when it was good/great.

Yeah we were able to see the block when it was still kicking it in the mid 2000's!

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/20/17 at 5:16 am

That era from 2003-2006, aka from ages 7-10 was just the pinnacle of greatness 8). However I do have a soft spot for the TOM 2 era, aka 2000-2003, too! It was what introduced me to the block in 2001, and it actually had my favorite version of TOM on there!

I liked TOM 3 better than TOM 2 actually, I thought he looked more refined than TOM 2.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/20/17 at 8:12 am

Ok thanks for clearing that up ;) Yeah DBZ was like a soap opera for kids in the late 90's/early 00's. I would rush home from school and watch Toonami every evening to see what happens. BTW, I actually liked the re-dubbing of Funimation. Perhaps I'm a bit odd, but I've always found the voice acting in the re-dubbing a bit more natural. Plus they used the original musical score from Japan in which, as much as I love Bruce Falcouner's work, always seemed to click with the series better. Watching a great english dubbed DBZ episode with the original Japanese score is anime gold :D

Yeah, 1999-2003 was the peak of DBZ in America when the original Funimation dub aired and all the sagas premiered in order. Plus at the time DBZ was on from 1999-2003 it was on 5 times a week on the weekdays (or even 6 times a week on some occasions if Toonami Rising Sun or Super Saturdays were on). DBGT premiered in late 2003 and ended in early 2005. There was hardly any DBZ airing in 2004 except for the early part of the year, it was mostly DBGT that year. Throughout summer & fall 2005 DBZ uncut aired 4 times a week (Monday-Thursday) at 10:30pm E.T. right before came on, then from fall 2005 up until spring 2006 DBZ uncut was still on Saturday nights, but after that it was taken off the air permanently.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/17 at 11:10 am

Really, the best word to describe what it was like seeing Dragon Ball Z for the first time in 1998 would be "weird". You must remember that DBZ was the first exposure that the majority of '90s kids had ever had to anime. This was even before the Pokemon anime had really taken off yet. So, at that time, seeing DBZ for the first time as a kid who'd grown up watching pretty much exclusively western style animation, it was frankly one of the most bizarre things I'd ever seen. At first, 11-year-old me was like, "why do all the characters have weird spiky hair" and "why does that green looking dude talk so long before he starts fighting". ;D It didn't take me long at all to get hooked on the show though.

Oh, absolutely. Like everybody else at the time, the Ocean dub was my first introduction to DBZ as that's what Toonami aired up through the beginning of the battle against Freeza, which is when Funimation started dubbing the episodes.

As far as my opinion on the Ocean dub, I do like to watch it occasionally for nostalgia purposes, but, in all honesty, I'm not a big fan. It isn't necessarily that the voices are that bad (though I definitely prefer Vegeta and Piccolo's voices on the Funimation dub), it's more the terrible way in which the episodes are edited. For example, the Ocean version of the Sayain saga only lasts 25 episodes, while the Funimation version lasts 36. That's 11 episodes worth of content edited out! :o

Written By: 2001 on 03/20/17 at 11:26 am

No Digimon or Dragon Ball in that schedule means that YTV won!  8)

Written By: mqg96 on 03/20/17 at 11:32 am

No Digimon or Dragon Ball in that schedule means that YTV won!  8)

Dragon Ball was on Toonami here in the U.S. too.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/20/17 at 11:59 am

Here's all my favorite non-anime that aired on Toonami.

Justice League
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uezGsM4xhCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY6GAumf-ak

Samurai Jack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0zTPniwZgM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQQQlCilt60

Batman Beyond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fDY9sYKiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHPzntyVPJk

Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes (underrated af)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZVsbalCBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXEqtUMiIs

Teen Titans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrHPnPAHE1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly_Ocdua3s0

Jackie Chan Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixmi8a4XOTU

The Batman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ05ZMdS_kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIdZ_F5PGA

Superman: TAS (although I didn't watch it on this block but I remember it on CN sometimes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD1virwtOG4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nCPYZUy-Rc

Thundercats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaCHUEUp3xU

He-Man (2002)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp3aoWX1CuM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIHdntVTLEw

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/20/17 at 1:06 pm

Damn! 20 years already!? I can't believe it! I remember first watching that block sometime in 1998, and it was one of the best things I witnessed. I definitely recall the Moltar era before TOM appeared on the scene. It doesn't seem Toonami is that old, but in reality it is and that is difficult to grasp. :o

OTT, I watched the entire block until TOM 4, and I lost interest due to him being awful which I think led to Toonami's death for 4 years.

Here are some commercials from the Moltar and TOM 1 era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnaIHxgXtD0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEGLMEYPrgE&t=475s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJq3FxKVUks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evwpeGSCwvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHecKJOKO3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMWmc-qiFQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbY_3AMhJk4&t=349s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IjThnCKP1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nybWKfDT5nQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bhZ9HcJwWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPpTUSysdh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egTt8F2fp04

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/20/17 at 1:24 pm

I liked TOM 3 better than TOM 2 actually, I thought he looked more refined than TOM 2.

I liked TOM 2's more sleek body, but I still did like TOM 3 though. My 3 favorite TOM designs are TOM 2, then TOM 3, and TOM 5 (the current one).

Really, the best word to describe what it was like seeing Dragon Ball Z for the first time in 1998 would be "weird". You must remember that DBZ was the first exposure that the majority of '90s kids had ever had to anime. This was even before the Pokemon anime had really taken off yet. So, at that time, seeing DBZ for the first time as a kid who'd grown up watching pretty much exclusively western style animation, it was frankly one of the most bizarre things I'd ever seen. At first, 11-year-old me was like, "why do all the characters have weird spiky hair" and "why does that green looking dude talk so long before he starts fighting". ;D It didn't take me long at all to get hooked on the show though.

Oh, absolutely. Like everybody else at the time, the Ocean dub was my first introduction to DBZ as that's what Toonami aired up through the beginning of the battle against Freeza, which is when Funimation started dubbing the episodes.

As far as my opinion on the Ocean dub, I do like to watch it occasionally for nostalgia purposes, but, in all honesty, I'm not a big fan. It isn't necessarily that the voices are that bad (though I definitely prefer Vegeta and Piccolo's voices on the Funimation dub), it's more the terrible way in which the episodes are edited. For example, the Ocean version of the Sayain saga only lasts 25 episodes, while the Funimation version lasts 36. That's 11 episodes worth of content edited out! :o

Damn that must've been an awesome and equally bizarre experience! Maybe if I was born years before I'd be able to remember it clearly but unfortunately I caught on to the DBZ trend in 2000/2001 a couple years after its initial debut. Also I agree that the Ocean dub wasn't bad per say, it just was insanely censored. I actually remember watching the Ocean dub episodes on YouTube back in 2008 and somewhat liking it though. I agree that Vegeta's voice sounded much more intimidating and bad ass in the Ocean dub than in the Funimation dub!

I actually think this scene proves Vegeta's intense personality in this version of the show:

lEN9gxZkmoM

He just sounds so much more intense and malicious in the Ocean dub.

Justice League

Samurai Jack

Batman Beyond

Teen Titans

Jackie Chan Adventures

The Batman

Superman: TAS (although I didn't watch it on this block but I remember it on CN sometimes)

Thundercats

He-Man (2002)

I agree with all of these, especially the top 3! Justice League in a sense was our generation's Batman TAS. I also really digged Samurai Jack (although I didn't follow the story that intensely though), Thundercats (probably one of my favorite 80's cartoons actually), Superman TAS (although strangely I have more memories of that show from Kids WB), and Jackie Chan (Kids WB, ditto).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/20/17 at 1:40 pm

Damn that must've been an awesome and equally bizarre experience! Maybe if I was born years before I'd be able to remember it clearly but unfortunately I caught on to the DBZ trend in 2000/2001 a couple years after its initial debut. Also I agree that the Ocean dub wasn't bad per say, it just was insanely censored. I actually remember watching the Ocean dub episodes on YouTube back in 2008 and somewhat liking it though. I agree that Vegeta's voice sounded much more intimidating and bad ass in the Ocean dub than in the Funimation dub!
What about Sailor Moon? That may have another anime people were introduced to along side with DBZ prior to Pokemon. It was mainly shown during the early days of Toonami.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/20/17 at 1:56 pm

What about Sailor Moon? That may have another anime people were introduced to along side with DBZ prior to Pokemon. It was mainly shown during the early days of Toonami.

There were still Sailor Moon reruns on Toonami as late as summer/fall 2002, although I don't remember it for some reason but it was there.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/20/17 at 2:03 pm

There were still Sailor Moon reruns on Toonami as late as summer/fall 2002, although I don't remember it for some reason but it was there.
Oh yeah, it was. I watched that show along side with PPG, and it was good. I think you don't remember it most likely because it came on around midnight looking at the YouTube videos.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/20/17 at 2:33 pm

Yeah I remember watching Sailor Moon at relatives houses in 2001 and occasionally at home in 2002. I'm not gonna lie it was a guilty pleasure of mine as a kid. Btw Sailor Moon's TV Into, so 90's it hurts ;D

aTFi7_-uLkA

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/20/17 at 5:04 pm

Justice League

Samurai Jack

Batman Beyond

Teen Titans

Jackie Chan Adventures

The Batman

Thundercats

He-Man (2002)

I agree with this list but I would personally also add Megas XLR, even though it was short-lived. #ChickDigGiantRobots

Written By: mqg96 on 03/20/17 at 5:06 pm

I agree with this list but I would personally also add Megas XLR, even though it was short-lived. #ChickDigGiantRobots

Damn I knew that was the last action cartoon I was forgetting!  >:(

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/23/17 at 10:35 am

Top 10 TOONAMI shows:

H4FPoAeVFo4

Do you guys agree with his list?

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 04/04/17 at 8:27 pm

:-*I love Toonami! I started watching in 2002 and fell in love with DBZ, Transformers, Hamtaro, and Sailor Moon.

Who remembers Trapped in Hyperspace? It was a short series they did in September 2002 alongside a sweepstakes contest. There was also a tie-in game on Toonami.com I loved playing, and I remember being so pissed when they took it off in 2004. I had a crush on Swayzak the virus. Something to do with how thin he was and his voice. I recently remembered his Aussie accent in the game. Oh!!! :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/04/17 at 8:32 pm

:-*I love Toonami! I started watching in 2002 and fell in love with DBZ, Transformers, Hamtaro, and Sailor Moon.

Who remembers Trapped in Hyperspace? It was a short series they did in September 2002 alongside a sweepstakes contest. There was also a tie-in game on Toonami.com I loved playing, and I remember being so pissed when they took it off in 2004. I had a crush on Swayzak the virus. Something to do with how thin he was and his voice. I recently remembered his Aussie accent in the game. Oh!!! :)

Just a question....when were you born?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/05/17 at 12:02 pm

Yep started watching TOONAMI in 2002 as well. So many classics on that epic block 8)

Just a question....when were you born?

I think she's around my age

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/05/17 at 12:07 pm

I think she's around my age

She's currently 21, so she was most likely born in '95. But she could have been born in early '96.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/05/17 at 12:12 pm

She's currently 21, so she was most likely born in '95. But she could have been born in early '96.

Well yeah thats what I meant, around my age ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/05/17 at 12:16 pm

Well yeah thats what I meant, around my age ;D

I know but I was just trying to be specific.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 05/02/17 at 8:39 pm

I remember how all my girl friends were so :-* for TOM 3 when he arrived, I remember me and my friends Jessica and Natasha thought up a parody of the Beyonce Pepsi commercial where it was TOM instead of Beyonce... and Beyonce instead of the guy!!! ;D

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 6:54 pm

Oh my god, Swayzak was a GUY?! I THOUGHT HE WAS A WOMAN!!!! I remember watching that and playing the game when I was in middle school. Thirteen or fourteen. Thank you for reminding me of his name, I remember he had a deeper voice on air and that Aussie accent in the game. His body made me think he was a girl. Plus I always thought he looked like Zero from MegaMan  :P
Anyway, how would you have a crush on him? I HATED HIM!!!!!  :D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/31/18 at 11:16 am

Can't believe I haven't seen this video before. Just randomly stumbled upon it today.

w6Ja7sXxv4k

Its pretty insightful if you guys are interested.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/31/18 at 12:53 pm

Can't believe I haven't seen this video before. Just randomly stumbled upon it today.

w6Ja7sXxv4k

Its good to see another veteran who watched the block. Toonami is seeming to be entering a new proper age.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/31/18 at 1:09 pm

Its good to see another veteran who watched the block. Toonami is seeming to be entering a new proper age.

I agree with this statement

PIe-bKT3-xo

This new lineup they have reminds of the good ole' days back when I was growing up 8).

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/31/18 at 1:30 pm

w6Ja7sXxv4k

I've already seen this video and I agree that its pretty fascinating. In fact the guy who made it (Geekdom101) actually makes pretty good videos discussing and analyzing the Dragonball franchise.

Written By: Frodomar2002 on 08/31/18 at 1:55 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Pokemon_Chronicles.png

Does anyone remember this show? It aired from June 3, 2006 to November 25, 2006 on Toonami and aired on Boomerang until 2009. Miguzi aired it from October 2006 to June 2007.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/31/18 at 1:57 pm

My favorite cartoons from Toonami were Sailor moon & DBZ. Sailor moon was my first ever anime and I still love it to this day. I also watched the reboot DBZ kia.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/31/18 at 2:50 pm

My favorite cartoons from Toonami were Sailor moon & DBZ. Sailor moon was my first ever anime and I still love it to this day. I also watched the reboot DBZ kia.

DBZ kai wasn't a reboot. It was just DBZ without the filler and a slightly different dub.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/31/18 at 4:53 pm

Does anyone remember this show? It aired from June 3, 2006 to November 25, 2006 on Toonami and aired on Boomerang until 2009. Miguzi aired it from October 2006 to June 2007.
Oh yea it's was a spinoff of the main series during battle frontier.

Written By: Dundee on 08/31/18 at 4:58 pm

HAPPY 20TH TOONAAAAAMIIII IM ONE YEAR OLDER THAN YOU WOOOOOO  :D :D :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/18 at 5:06 pm

No, you're only a month older than Toonami. Toonami premiered on March 17th, 1997.

This thread is from last year. ZeldaFan20 decided to bump the thread.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/31/18 at 6:38 pm

DBZ kai wasn't a reboot. It was just DBZ without the filler and a slightly different dub.

You can say that's basically the same thing.
I agree with this statement

This new lineup they have reminds of the good ole' days back when I was growing up 8).

One Punch Man really took me back to Toonami at its full glory. There's just something about it. Haha

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/31/18 at 6:50 pm

I've already seen this video and I agree that its pretty fascinating. In fact the guy who made it (Geekdom101) actually makes pretty good videos discussing and analyzing the Dragonball franchise.

I guess I have to check him out :). Always love me some Dragon Ball/DBZ!

Yeah I do :D. I actually wasn't the biggest fan of the Pokemon anime after 2003 (or essentially post Generation 3), however this particular season was an exception. It was pretty cool watching the various battle scenes & interactions! Just brings back dope Summer 06' Memories 8):

dwi3siaHens

HAPPY 21st TOONAAAAAMIIII IM.... Uh.... One Month Older Than You.... Eh... yah!

There, fixed it for you ;D.

Written By: Wobo on 08/31/18 at 7:03 pm

Are okay lol? You've been using alot of caps and making crazy posts lately.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/31/18 at 7:06 pm

I love vibing to this joint 8):

TLs-p7MrHTc

And with this epic lineup that includes Super, Academia, FLCL, Clover, Hunter, & Punch Man; #TOONAMISBACKB!TCHES

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/31/18 at 7:11 pm

I feel like Toonami is dead now, along with cable in general. Zoomers aren't watching Adult Swim and Toonami as much as Millennials did, ratings for Toonami have declined from the heights of 2012.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/01/18 at 1:59 am

I feel like Toonami is dead now, along with cable in general. Zoomers aren't watching Adult Swim and Toonami as much as Millennials did, ratings for Toonami have declined from the heights of 2012.

While I can't seem to find anything now regarding current ratings; this video below goes into great detail in the increased competition TOONAMI is facing:

gfnELV5MtiI

I agree with a lot of his points. FWIW, TOONAMI starting their block massively earlier at 10 and ending later at 4 is a great idea (and one I've been requesting for years). They also have a lot of variety now in their shows, both old & new, which helps keeps things fresh & interesting. You also have those blockbuster sagas in shows like DB Super, Hunter X Hunter, JoJo, & Black Cover that keep going continuously, regardless of new seasons/story arcs. This draws a huge fanbase ultimately. I know their ratings around this time last year were steadily declining, but I'd imagine with the changes that the executives at Turner made that the ratings should have bounced back, possibly higher than what they were before the Summer of 2017 decline.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/01/18 at 11:32 am

While I can't seem to find anything now regarding current ratings; this video below goes into great detail in the increased competition TOONAMI is facing:

gfnELV5MtiI

I agree with a lot of his points. FWIW, TOONAMI starting their block massively earlier at 10 and ending later at 4 is a great idea (and one I've been requesting for years). They also have a lot of variety now in their shows, both old & new, which helps keeps things fresh & interesting. You also have those blockbuster sagas in shows like DB Super, Hunter X Hunter, JoJo, & Black Cover that keep going continuously, regardless of new seasons/story arcs. This draws a huge fanbase ultimately. I know their ratings around this time last year were steadily declining, but I'd imagine with the changes that the executives at Turner made that the ratings should have bounced back, possibly higher than what they were before the Summer of 2017 decline.

And even if Toonami is facing other competitions now, it still has its own charm. Like, there's just something personal about Toonami that will immense you into it when you thought you outgrown it.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/05/18 at 8:26 am

And even if Toonami is facing other competitions now, it still has its own charm. Like, there's just something personal about Toonami that will immense you into it when you thought you outgrown it.

I agree fully. This inspirational quote just goes to show how much perseverance is valued:

yqYgpyhZ-iM

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/09/19 at 10:32 pm

The Nostalgic Critic just made a pretty cool retrospective of TOONAMI;

dLuFS4XRRQU&frags=pl%2Cwn

You guys should definitely check it out!

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/09/19 at 11:27 pm

The Nostalgic Critic just made a pretty cool retrospective of TOONAMI;

dLuFS4XRRQU&frags=pl%2Cwn

You guys should definitely check it out!

Zelda, Doug is a bad guy, as I've said before. He covered for Jewwario after he r*ped an underage fan. Google "changethechannel" to see even more reasons why people have rapidly turned on Channel Awesome.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/15/19 at 12:32 am

Zelda, Doug is a bad guy, as I've said before. He covered for Jewwario after he r*ped an underage fan. Google "changethechannel" to see even more reasons why people have rapidly turned on Channel Awesome.

I've read up on the drama, so fair point.

I'll give a shoutout to Chris Stuckman's retrospective on TOONAMI instead then;

4oXK9FOzN5E

Bang.

Check for new replies or respond here...