inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why Did Rock Music Start Becoming Irrelevant in the Late '00s?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/23/17 at 2:17 pm

One of the most puzzling things to me about the late '00s and early '10s is the relatively rapid decline of Rock music's cultural influence.

Back in the early '00s, Rock was still a massive cultural force, with Nu Metal and Post-Grunge bands all over MTV right alongside Teen Pop and Hip-Hop acts. In 2000 alone you had Chocolate Starfish from Limp Bizkit selling over 1 million copies in it's first week, and Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park which would go on to sell over 20 million copies worldwide. Even Human Clay from Creed sold somewhere around 15 million. Then came the Garage Rock Revival of 2001-02, and suddenly bands like The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Hives, and Jet were some of the hottest acts in the world. Even in a year like 2003, where In Da Club and Hey Ya! dominated the airwaves, a Rock song like Seven Nation Army could still be the most popular song of the year.

This continued into the mid '00s, with "Indie" acts like Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinand and The Killers; Emo acts like The All-American Rejects, Fall Out Boy and Dashboard Confessional; and Post-Grunge acts like Audioslave, Nickleback and Chevelle all finding huge success.

In the late '00s, though, Rock just seemed to fall off a cliff from a "culturally relevant" standpoint. Sure, you still had some groups like Nickleback that could sell millions of albums, but they were largely seen as a joke by that point in the eyes of most young people. By 2008, there were only 2 rock songs in the Billboard Year-End Top 30, and by 2010 there were none in the top 30! That was down from 8 in the top 30 in 2002! :o These days, when you hear high school kids talking about Rock, it's usually classic groups like Nirvana or even The Beatles. I don't think I've ever seen a teenager wearing a Black Keys T-shirt, and they're supposed to be the most popular rock groups of the 2010's. I've been thinking lately about why Rock no longer seems to have the same importance that it did from the mid 1950's to the mid 2000's, but I honestly can't come up with any good explanation.

Subject: Re: Why Did Rock Music Start Becoming Irrelevant in the Late '00s?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/23/17 at 2:25 pm

My idea is that because as the world became more and more technologically focused, interests shifted towards electronic music made on Macs rather than stuff made with real instruments. I have no idea why faux-urban culture and trashy rap are still big things, though.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/23/17 at 2:28 pm

Obama

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/17 at 2:36 pm

Music tastes come and go.  :(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/23/17 at 2:39 pm

My idea is that because as the world became more and more technologically focused, interests shifted towards electronic music made on Macs rather than stuff made with real instruments. I have no idea why faux-urban culture and trashy rap are still big things, though.

I agree with this notion.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/23/17 at 3:10 pm

Well, it will return soon! Trust me on this one. I think the reason why rock hasn't been mainstream this entire decade is because it was one of the dominate forces of music for half a century. I think it just needed a break, so that way it can shine again one day in a innovating form.

Written By: 2001 on 03/23/17 at 3:24 pm

Yes, I think it has to do with this. What was the most profitable and cheapest way to become a musician in the '90s? Get out the guitar, drums and bass, get with your friends and start making music in your garage. Touring was also really cheap with really portable equipment. That changed come the 2000s. When people had computers in their rooms, it's much cheaper and easier to make music on your computer than it is with expensive instruments that are difficult to transport. So the talent went there.

I'm just hypothesizing though.  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/23/17 at 6:13 pm

I think we still had a good amount of rock songs in the late 2000s. Although by 2011, the rock genre was barely heard and nobody bought a lot of albums at the time. The early-mid 2000s though were the last times when rock music was still commercialized, and didn't get taken over by hip hop or electronic pop. Rock bands such as Linkin Park and Evanescence were still popular by the late 2000s/early 2010s, but they were past their peak by 2008. However, most of their music was listened to on YouTube by millions of people. So it wasn't like a huge loss.

I could probably say that the use of electronic instruments made rock obsolete to most people, and it didn't make the genre last long after the 2000s ended. To a lot of people, rock music is like a memory towards people who did enjoy it in the past.

Written By: Setemstraight on 03/31/17 at 5:38 pm

I've been thinking lately about why Rock no longer seems to have the same importance that it did from the mid 1950's to the mid 2000's

It's does seem like rock had a 50 year dominace in the mainstream and then it ended, becoming more of an "off the radar" genre. I can't remember what it was but I saw this video a few years about whether or not rock is "dead" and some guy made a good point that before the birth of rock n roll jazz music was the dominant sound for decades. But when rock came along and started getting more popular, jazz took a backseat. Although it didn't continue dominating the charts and radio like it once did, it still manage to survive(even to this day) with more of a, I know there's a better word but I'm going to use "culture following". I think that's where rock is now, at least the core of thegenre anyway. Rock's popularity has given away to hip hop. Rock will always be around and will always have its followers(like myself), just like jazz is still around, you just won't see it in the top 40. I'm not going to say rock won't make a strong comeback sometime down the road, but right that seems to be where it's at.

Written By: tv on 04/02/17 at 8:59 pm

I think late 2005/early 2006 rock started to fade either after Green Day's comeback in mid 2005 or after the Red Hot Chilli Peppers put out "The Stadium Arcadiam" album in early 2006.

I do think rock music's popularity got eclipsed by Hip-Hop in Spring 2003 when 50 Cent hit big with "In Da Club" which was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 from March 8th-May 9th, 2003. There was still rock music around from Spring Time 2003-mid 2005 it just wasn't as relevant as or as popular as it was in the mainstream like it was before Spring Time 2003. I think Hip-Hop went through a similar thing as Rock did 5 years prior in late 2008 when Hip-Hop's popularity was eclipsed by Electro-Pop.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 9:01 pm

I think late 2005/early 2006 rock started to fade either after Green Day's comeback in mid 2005 or after the Red Hot Chilli Peppers put out "The Stadium Arcadiam" album in early 2006.

Rock was probably fading out later than 2005 (at least in late 2008) from what I saw. The last mainstream rock albums were released in 2011, including Evanescence's self-titled album.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/02/17 at 9:11 pm

As I said before, fake president Obama is the cause of rock becoming irrelevant. Emperor Trump even suggested as much on his Twitter.

Around 2008 is when rock began to decline from what I remember, before it became totally irrelevant around 2011, being eclipsed by electropop music like Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, and Lady Gaga. Obummer was in his first term around this time; coincidence? I think not.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 9:13 pm

As I said before, fake president Obama is the cause of rock becoming irrelevant. Emperor Trump even suggested as much on his Twitter.

Around 2008 is when rock began to decline from what I remember, before it became totally irrelevant around 2011, being eclipsed by electropop music like Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, and Lady Gaga. Obummer was in his first term around this time; coincidence? I think not.

I'm glad someone finally mentioned it. Obummer ruined EVERYTHING great about this country  >:(.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 1:14 pm

I'm glad someone finally mentioned it. Obummer ruined EVERYTHING great about this country  >:(.
Are you two serious!?  ;D ;D ;D ;D. You both think Obama had something do making rock irrelevant in the mainstream?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 1:16 pm

Are you two serious!?  ;D ;D ;D ;D. You both think Obama had something do making rock irrelevant in the mainstream?

Obozo was the worst President we have had ever. He's the reason why we're a nation of sissies.  >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/17 at 1:21 pm

I just take it as a joke. Lol

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 1:22 pm

I just take it as acjoke. Lol

You're right. I'm just joking  ;).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 1:25 pm

Obozo was the worst President we have had ever. He's the reason why we're a nation of sissies.  >:(
Do you think he's also responsible for  making people wear tight and weird clothes?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 3:56 pm

Do you think he's also responsible for  making people wear tight and weird clothes?

Most likely.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 4:33 pm

Most likely.
You must don't like him I see.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/03/17 at 4:38 pm

I don't think this is true.  It wasn't until the early '10s that rock seriously declined in the mainstream.

In the late '00s you still had a lot of post-grunge and scene rock in the mainstream.  The final big rock hit was "September" by Daughtry in 2010.  Rock really declined when "hipster rock" began to dominate the airwaves.  The thing is, "hipster rock" is the '10s equivalent of rock but it doesn't sound like rock at all.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 4:42 pm

You must don't like him I see.

Yes, I don't like Obama  ;).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 4:53 pm

Yes, I don't like Obama  ;).
Now I see what you (and maybe Zelek) don't like this decade. Well I don't blame you. I don't like the decade's culture not because of Obama, but of other aspects.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 4:58 pm

Now I see what you (and maybe Zelek) don't like this decade. Well I don't blame you. I don't like the decade's culture not because of Obama, but of other aspects.

Didn't I already say that I was joking?  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 5:20 pm

Didn't I already say that I was joking?  ;D
Oh I should have known because of the emoji.  ;D

Written By: Setemstraight on 04/03/17 at 6:15 pm

Most likely.

No that was George W' fault :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 6:24 pm

No that was George W' fault :P

Both Dubya and Obummer are at fault.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/03/17 at 6:34 pm

It's Osama Trash Bin Laid In's fault!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 04/03/17 at 8:02 pm

Good fashion sense in the 2010s came from Europe since the metrosexual look was popular there in the mid-2000s. Rock died almost simultaneously worldwide so I would say that it was technology.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 10:29 pm

Both Dubya and Obummer are at fault.
I thought you were joking about Obama.

Good fashion sense in the 2010s came from Europe since the metrosexual look was popular there in the mid-2000s. Rock died almost simultaneously worldwide so I would say that it was technology.
Was it social media?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 10:37 pm

I thought you were joking about Obama.

You really don't get sarcasm don't ya?  ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 10:39 pm

I do, but I must have missed it. Was there a hint?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 10:52 pm

I do, but I must have missed it. Was there a hint?

"Dubya" and "Obummer" are the hints. I never refer to Presidents by nicknames or derogatory nicknames unless I'm being sarcastic, less serious or just plain joking.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/03/17 at 10:52 pm

I have trouble sometimes too.

Plus, my anxiety doesn't always help. Makes me shakey!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 10:54 pm

I have trouble sometimes too.

Plus, my anxiety doesn't always help. Makes me shakey!

Sorry to cause you anxiety.... :\'(.

Written By: 2001 on 04/03/17 at 10:54 pm

Was it social media?

No, by technology I mean it became cheaper to produce electronic music, where all you need is a computer, compared to rock band music with its guitars, drums, amplifiers etc.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 11:00 pm

"Dubya" and "Obummer" are the hints. I never refer to Presidents by nicknames or derogatory nicknames unless I'm being sarcastic, less serious or just plain joking.
Ohhh. Now I see. I'll remember next time.

No, by technology I mean it became cheaper to produce electronic music, where all you need is a computer, compared to rock band music with its guitars, drums, amplifiers etc.
Well that's true, but not so fast! It could make a comeback in the next decade.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/03/17 at 11:07 pm

Isn't "technology became cheaper so electronic sounds became easier to make" just the story of the 80's?

Written By: 2001 on 04/03/17 at 11:07 pm

I unironically call him The Tramp or the homeless president.  :-X :-X Although I think only Brits and Canadians will get my joke, but that makes it better.  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/03/17 at 11:12 pm

I unironically call him The Tramp or the homeless president.  :-X :-X Although I think only Brits and Canadians will get my joke, but that makes it better.  8)

Yeah, us Americans don't get that. There are much worse terms for Bush and Obama but yeah those terms are very bad to very racist  :P.

Written By: 2001 on 04/03/17 at 11:17 pm

Isn't "technology became cheaper so electronic sounds became easier to make" just the story of the 80's?

But not everyone had a computer yet in the early '80s, not one that can produce a vast array of high quality sounds at least. That changed come the 2000s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/03/17 at 11:21 pm

But not everyone had a computer yet in the early '80s, not one that can produce a vast array of high quality sounds at least. That changed come the 2000s.

But they had the keyboards.

Written By: 2001 on 04/03/17 at 11:42 pm

But they had the keyboards.

I honestly don't know, since I don't make music.  ;D I had an electronic keyboard, but my guess would be that you can make a more diverse and high quality sounds when you couple it with whatever computer software artists use.  :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/03/17 at 11:45 pm

I honestly don't know, since I don't make music.  ;D I had an electronic keyboard, but my guess would be that you can make a more diverse and high quality sounds when you couple it with whatever computer software artists use.  :-X

The big synths. In the 60's and 70's, the prices were murder but by the 80's they got cheap enough and many artists started making electronic sounds on the records.

Check for new replies or respond here...