inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV TRL

Written By: the2001 on 03/31/17 at 4:23 pm

MTV TRL is a popular top ten music video countdown show that debuted in 1998 and lasted all the way to 2008, with a spin off Special in 2014
hosted by Ariana Grande and a special in 2016 Hosted by Girl Code's Nessa. The show consisted of over hormonal teens screaming when a celebrity guest
visited the times square studios.The show is bets known for helping create the boom of the late 90's to early 2000's teen pop craze . Lets share our memories
and eras of this show.

ERAS

1998-2003  Carson Daly Era

http://static.buzznet.com/uploads/2016/03/trl-compressed.jpg

2003-2004  Quddus/ LALA era

http://www.ranthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/GettyImages-2429298.jpg

2004-2007  Damien Fahey/ Vanessa Lachey era

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/eOGGRnJEg2g/hqdefault.jpg

2008-2008  Suzie Q / Damien Fahey  era

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-b5wWESJAso/hqdefault.jpg

2014-2014  Ariana Grande / Sway  (special)

http://www.arianagrandebrasil.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/bre.png

2016-2016  Nessa  (Special)

http://cdn.skim.gs/images/c_fill,dpr_1.0,h_391,w_695/hb6j92r3xtnzt3ascqvf/total-registration-live-season-1-episode-1

Subject: Re: MTV TRL

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/31/17 at 8:42 pm

I actually preferred TRL over 106 and Park because I was more into rock and pop as a teen. And TRL had all the bands I liked, rock bands, emo, boy bands, not to mention Michael Jackson and Prince (before I called it quits with him) sat in and did interviews. I was around for the greater part of the Carson Daly years, like every single day, even during that patch when Carson got like scary skinny after he split with Tara Reid.
http://famewatcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/carson-daly-before-and-after-weight-loss.jpg
I did alot of school skipping to catch certain celebs on the show.
I was in for the Quddus era because I was kind of in love with Quddus for a minute. I actually have an old tape with Spring Break 03 on it and he's hosting. I was just really into what I called the "Justin Guarini" look it got really popular for light skinned dudes to grow out these big curly afros after he was on American Idol.
https://www.weddingroundup.com/wp-content/uploads/justin-guarini-american-idol-married.jpg
I did tape Justin's appearances ont eh show and still have them.  ;D I was into Justin for a minute too.

I don't know TRL was like my place to be for pop culture. It fed my need for all the gossip, the music the styles, really really helped me get into and enjoy rock, which I still do today and introduced me to a lot of great artists outside the Jackson family that I continue to enjoy. I mean nothing was better than hearing "My Chemical Romance's new video drops tomorrow" or "The Backstreet Boys album will drop next week" It really was a great time. I miss it.
Helped me realize I just like weird people.

Written By: Ripley on 04/01/17 at 12:03 am

Back when MTV was still music television 😛 Yeah I watched it back in the Carson days.

Written By: the2001 on 04/01/17 at 1:25 pm

I actually preferred TRL over 106 and Park because I was more into rock and pop as a teen. And TRL had all the bands I liked, rock bands, emo, boy bands, not to mention Michael Jackson and Prince (before I called it quits with him) sat in and did interviews. I was around for the greater part of the Carson Daly years, like every single day, even during that patch when Carson got like scary skinny after he split with Tara Reid.
http://famewatcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/carson-daly-before-and-after-weight-loss.jpg
I did alot of school skipping to catch certain celebs on the show.
I was in for the Quddus era because I was kind of in love with Quddus for a minute. I actually have an old tape with Spring Break 03 on it and he's hosting. I was just really into what I called the "Justin Guarini" look it got really popular for light skinned dudes to grow out these big curly afros after he was on American Idol.
https://www.weddingroundup.com/wp-content/uploads/justin-guarini-american-idol-married.jpg
I did tape Justin's appearances ont eh show and still have them.  ;D I was into Justin for a minute too.

I don't know TRL was like my place to be for pop culture. It fed my need for all the gossip, the music the styles, really really helped me get into and enjoy rock, which I still do today and introduced me to a lot of great artists outside the Jackson family that I continue to enjoy. I mean nothing was better than hearing "My Chemical Romance's new video drops tomorrow" or "The Backstreet Boys album will drop next week" It really was a great time. I miss it.
Helped me realize I just like weird people.

At the end of Carson's run you could tell he was phoning it in, I remember he came back for like a week in 2004 because the host was sick and you could tell
he did not give a F anymore about the show LMAO my favorite TRL moments had to been when Mariah had the Ice Cream cart, or whenever Eminem would stop by.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/01/17 at 5:47 pm

At the end of Carson's run you could tell he was phoning it in, I remember he came back for like a week in 2004 because the host was sick and you could tell
he did not give a F anymore about the show LMAO my favorite TRL moments had to been when Mariah had the Ice Cream cart, or whenever Eminem would stop by.

BRUH!
You saw when Mariah had her breakdown on TRL too? I remember watching that and wondering what the entire hell was going on--cause I'm a big Mariah fan--and it wasn't until later I found out what happened.

Written By: the2001 on 04/02/17 at 11:47 am

BRUH!
You saw when Mariah had her breakdown on TRL too? I remember watching that and wondering what the entire hell was going on--cause I'm a big Mariah fan--and it wasn't until later I found out what happened.

that was crazy

Written By: tv on 04/02/17 at 8:44 pm

TRL was really popular in 1999-2000 when they had put a premium on showing teen-pop artists(Backstreet Boys, N' Sync, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, and Mandy Moore.) I think it was somewhere in 2000 when I lost interest n the show because teen-pop got too overexposed for me. I still remember TRL fondly look a part of my life when I think about it. Its like remember TRL when Carson Daly was hosting.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 8:51 pm

I find it funny how we all reminisce on the late 90s/early-mid 00s and the "call in your music" shows. When my mom (born 1967) describes 1997-2003/4 as this awful black hole of vapid cheesy culture, and says that these music request shows, boybands, and teen pop made this era feel like the 50s in terms of how lame-o and square it was. :P

Funnily enough, my mother who was born in 1963 loved all of that cheesiness and she watched TRL a lot.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/02/17 at 8:59 pm

Well that's clearly because your mom is a Boomer while my mom is a Gen Xer.

Boomers are the epitome of square. They think sitting in reclining chairs while sipping pina coladas, listening to Kenny G, and watching Dance Moms makes them cool.

(j/k)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/02/17 at 9:02 pm

TRL on MTV and 106 & Park BET was the sh!t back in the day! Me and my older siblings would watch it after school everyday. My favorite TRL era is definitely the Carson Daly Era. It was the era that ushered in Late 90's/Early 00's Teen Pop, Nu Metal, Pop Punk, & Party Rap. Some of the most iconic moments on TRL (such as the infamous scene of Mariah Carey tripping out) are found in this 'golden age'.

Back when MTV was still music television 😛 Yeah I watched it back in the Carson days.

I agree this was the last time MTV tried at the very least to acknowledge their MUSIC TELEVISION roots. Ever since TRL ended in 08', its been purely a reality tv network that doesn't try to be music oriented at all >:(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 9:11 pm

Well that's clearly because your mom is a Boomer while my mom is a Gen Xer.

Boomers are the epitome of square. They think sitting in reclining chairs while sipping pina coladas, listening to Kenny G, and watching Dance Moms makes them cool.

(j/k)

Stay mad bro 8).

TRL on MTV and 106 & Park BET was the sh!t back in the day!

That's straight facts right there.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/02/17 at 9:12 pm

Stay mad bro 8).

Did you notice the "j/k" at the end of my post? :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 9:13 pm

Did you notice the "j/k" at the end of my post? :P

I did that's why I add the " 8)".

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/02/17 at 9:58 pm

That's straight facts right there.

You already know ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 1:12 pm

Damn, I would watch this along 106 & Park, and they were both awesome at showing new music in their respective audiences.  However, by about 2004/05, I would only tune into VH1 and 106 & Park since TRL would go downhill thanks to MTV putting more focus on reality shows than what it intended to be.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/17 at 2:04 pm

TRL on MTV and 106 & Park BET was the sh!t back in the day! Me and my older siblings would watch it after school everyday. My favorite TRL era is definitely the Carson Daly Era. It was the era that ushered in Late 90's/Early 00's Teen Pop, Nu Metal, Pop Punk, & Party Rap. Some of the most iconic moments on TRL (such as the infamous scene of Mariah Carey tripping out) are found in this 'golden age'.

That was my afternoon schedule back in the day, too. I used to watch TRL, then Toonami, then 106 & Park every day from, like, 2000 until early 2002. I have so many fond memories of walking over to my friend's house after school and hanging out watching all this stuff when it was in it's prime. I miss those days sometimes. :(

I still remember watching that day when the Backstreet Boys went on TRL and the crowd outside was so massive that they had to shut down Times Square. It's kind of stunning how big TRL was at it's peak.

Written By: the2001 on 04/05/17 at 8:45 am

That was my afternoon schedule back in the day, too. I used to watch TRL, then Toonami, then 106 & Park every day from, like, 2000 until early 2002. I have so many fond memories of walking over to my friend's house after school and hanging out watching all this stuff when it was in it's prime. I miss those days sometimes. :(

I still remember watching that day when the Backstreet Boys went on TRL and the crowd outside was so massive that they had to shut down Times Square. It's kind of stunning how big TRL was at it's peak.

Crazy to think about but 106 was still on the air until 2014

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/05/17 at 9:23 am

Yep you're typical afternoon TV schedule was similar to mine! During most weekday afternoons from Late 2001 to Mid 2004 I Usually got home from school at around 3:30. This was when I'd do some homework, eat a PB&J sandwich, and or watch my local PBS or Kids WB station. Finish HW & watching PBS/WB around 4:30 or so, then I'd watch some TRL or 106&Park with my older siblings. Then around 5 I'd tune to Toonami on Cartoon Network or U-Pick Live on Nickelodeon 8)

Written By: Nostalgia on 04/06/17 at 7:41 pm

I was JUST  about to make a thread about this, but i found this one. I absolutely LOVED TRL during the carson daly era.

Written By: the2001 on 04/07/17 at 4:36 pm

I was JUST  about to make a thread about this, but i found this one. I absolutely LOVED TRL during the carson daly era.
:) :)

Check for new replies or respond here...