inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the best WrestleMania of the 2000s?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/01/17 at 8:55 pm

It's time for a third DEATH BATTLE!!!!!!

Which WWF/WWE WrestleMania is the best of the "Double Ohs" or "noughties" in your opinion?

Choice #1: WrestleMania 2000 (or WrestleMania 16)

Choice #2: WrestleMania X-Seven, 2001 (or X-7, 17)

Choice #3: WrestleMania X8, 2002 (or 18)

Choice #4: WrestleMania XIX, 2003 (or 19)

Choice #5: WrestleMania XX, 2004 (or 20)

Choice #6: WrestleMania 21, 2005

Choice #7: WrestleMania 22, 2006

Choice #8: WrestleMania 23, 2007

Choice #9: WrestleMania XXIV, 2008 (or 24)

Choice #10: WrestleMania XXV, 2009 (or 25, "The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania")

Subject: Re: What is the best WrestleMania of the 2000s?

Written By: mqg96 on 04/01/17 at 9:50 pm

I was not into WWE growing up (I'm not a wresting expert for that matter), but most people I knew in my generation thought the WWF Attitude Era (1997-2002) or the WWE Ruthless Aggression Era (2002-2008) gave us the best moments.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/01/17 at 10:21 pm

I was not into WWE growing up (I'm not a wresting expert for that matter), but most people I knew in my generation thought the WWF Attitude Era (1997-2002) or the WWE Ruthless Aggression Era (2002-2008) gave us the best moments.

Yes, that is pretty much agreed upon "facts".

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/02/17 at 12:23 pm

To me, this isn't even a debate. WrestleMania 17 in 2001 is not only the best WM of the 2000's, it's probably the best of all time.

I mean, the three biggest matches were Edge and Christian, The Dudley Boyz and The Hardy Boyz in a six-man TLC match for the Tag-Team titles, the first Undertaker vs. Triple H WM match, and Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock for the WWF title. I don't think you'll ever see a better set of marquee matches than that in a single event.

Now, it's true that the Stone Cold heel turn that came out of WM 17 was a bust, but at the time it happened it was a truly unforgettable moment. I'll admit that part of this is probably nostalgia, as I was at my height of being a wrestling fan in 2001, but I thought WM 17 was the best PPV I'd even seen watching it back then as a 13-year-old kid, and I still feel that way now 16 years later.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 12:27 pm

To me, this isn't even a debate. WrestleMania 17 in 2001 is not only the best WM of the 2000's, it's probably the best of all time.

I mean, the three biggest matches were Edge and Christian, The Dudley Boyz and The Hardy Boyz in a six-man TLC match for the Tag-Team titles, the first Undertaker vs. Triple H WM match, and Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock for the WWF title. I don't think you'll ever see a better set of marquee matches than that in a single event.

Now, it's true that the Stone Cold heel turn that came out of WM 17 was a bust, but at the time it happened it was a truly unforgettable moment. I'll admit that part of this is probably nostalgia, as I was at my height of being a wrestling fan in 2001, but I thought WM 17 was the best PPV I'd even seen watching it back then as a 13-year-old kid, and I still feel that way now 16 years later.

I would have to agree. I was only just under 2 years old when WM 17 happened, so I didn't watch it back then obviously but I've watched video of the entire WM and it was INSANE and really good. However, I only started watching the WWE in 2005 and my first WrestleMania was WrestleMania 22 in 2006.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 12:42 pm

I chose a random Wrestlemania that had John Cena in it (the 2005 one).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/02/17 at 1:09 pm

I would have to agree. I was only just under 2 years old when WM 17 happened, so I didn't watch it back then obviously but I've watched video of the entire WM and it was INSANE and really good. However, I only started watching the WWE in 2005 and my first WrestleMania was WrestleMania 22 in 2006.

WM 22 was a good one, too. At least, I enjoyed the Triple H vs. John Cena main event.

My first WM was WM 9 in 1993, which I actually owned on VHS growing up. That event was horrible, and had that stupid main event with Hulk Hogan defeating Yokozuna in, like, ten seconds by blowing that powder stuff in his eyes or whatever. That WM was so terrible, it's surprising that it didn't turn me off on wrestling forever.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 1:13 pm

WM 22 was a good one, too. At least, I enjoyed the Triple H vs. John Cena main event.

My first WM was WM 9 in 1993, which I actually owned on VHS growing up. That event was horrible, and had that stupid main event with Hulk Hogan defeating Yokozuna in, like, ten seconds by blowing that powder stuff in his eyes or whatever. That WM was so terrible, it's surprising that it didn't turn me off on wrestling forever.

Yeah, most WrestleMania's before the 2000s were terrible  ;D. However, I have barely watched the WWE since 2012. Oh and BTW, WrestleMania 33 is TONIGHT.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/17 at 4:11 pm

I chose a random Wrestlemania that had John Cena in it (the 2005 one).

You like John Cena?

Written By: Howard on 04/02/17 at 4:12 pm

Yeah, most WrestleMania's before the 2000s were terrible  ;D. However, I have barely watched the WWE since 2012. Oh and BTW, WrestleMania 33 is TONIGHT.

I know it's tonight, I will try to watch it but if not I might have to catch up on it some other time.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/02/17 at 8:33 pm

Yeah, most people my age miss the Ruthless Aggression era, if only because it was their childhoods. But perhaps because it was more edgy than the PG Era.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 8:36 pm

Yeah, most people my age miss the Ruthless Aggression era, if only because it was their childhoods. But perhaps because it was more edgy than the PG Era.

The Ruthless Aggression era was waaay edgier than the PG Era (2008-present). From the start of the Attitude Era until the end of the Ruthless Aggression Era (1997-2008), the WWE was TV-14 when it came to TV rating.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/17 at 5:56 am

The Ruthless Aggression era was waaay edgier than the PG Era (2008-present). From the start of the Attitude Era until the end of the Ruthless Aggression Era (1997-2008), the WWE was TV-14 when it came to TV rating.

Then it became a rule where there was no more chair shots to the head and no more blood.  ::)

Written By: John Titor on 12/26/18 at 12:53 pm

The Rock vs Hogan got mainstream coverage and WWF's popularity was back for a while after induring falling ratings
from Rock filming The Mummy & Austin turning heel. I remember old WCW fans that stopped watching after the last NITRO
tuned in to RAW during this build, it got MASSIVE mainstream exposure, more than 17 did (despite 17 getting a bigger buyrate)

Whoever said 19 is a moron, The buyrate for 19 was worse than 2003's Royal Rumble, and the build for it was terrible.

Written By: John Titor on 12/26/18 at 12:58 pm

it's 18, it got more mainstream buzz on the media circuit, 17 had poor build (Debra being Rocks manager then all of a sudden not)
17 only got a big buyrate because of NITRO being bought the same week. Also Austin's heel turns was blogged about everywhere
in 2001, weeks and weeks before it happened, it was not a surprise. 18  had EVERYONE talking in class, even people who stopped
watching since NITRO closed came back to see what the nWo was going to do. WWF had a brief popularity resurgence in early 2002
due to the nWo and Triple H returning after that injury.

As a card 17 has the better matches clearly, but for hype and promo 18 beats every single Wrestlemania.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 12/26/18 at 1:11 pm

Wrestlemania 21 for me. Most of the WM's in the 00s were great but that mania holds a special place in my heart since that was around the time I was really starting to follow wwe. I remember the Cena and JBL feud in early 05 and man was that feud was epic. Jbl had so much heat at the time and seeing cena win the wwe title for the first-time was pretty epic. The Batista and HHH match was also pretty epic as well. That WM made to new stars which carried the company for the next 5 years.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/18 at 2:21 pm

The Rock vs Hogan got mainstream coverage and WWF's popularity was back for a while after induring falling ratings
from Rock filming The Mummy & Austin turning heel. I remember old WCW fans that stopped watching after the last NITRO
tuned in to RAW during this build, it got MASSIVE mainstream exposure, more than 17 did (despite 17 getting a bigger buyrate)

Whoever said 19 is a moron, The buyrate for 19 was worse than 2003's Royal Rumble, and the build for it was terrible.

Definitely Rock vs.Hulk Hogan.

Written By: John Titor on 12/26/18 at 2:40 pm

Definitely Rock vs.Hulk Hogan.

This ^ for the mainstream exposure alone, when you think of Wrestlemania this is usually the first match that comes to mind.

cjMYGFmLz0U

Written By: Howard on 12/26/18 at 2:46 pm

This ^ for the mainstream exposure alone, when you think of Wrestlemania this is usually the first match that comes to mind.

cjMYGFmLz0U

Did you like Hogan vs.Vince McMahon?

Written By: John Titor on 12/26/18 at 2:49 pm

Did you like Hogan vs.Vince McMahon?

hated it, no one liked it, by that time people had enough with Hogan, his 2002 run was awesome, but by 2003
it was too much, The Event was promoted poorly, and Royal Rumble that year got a bigger buyrate than 19 !

Austin vs Rock 3, been there done that (The Rock was already more popular than Austin in 2002 and surpassed him)
HHH vs Booker T in a racist storyline that saw Booker lose..............cringe
HHH's reign of terror made ratings fall, people just weren't feeling WWE majority of 2003
No one gave a fudge about Brock vs Angle
Nothing fun happened at this mania

Written By: mwalker1996 on 12/26/18 at 8:10 pm

hated it, no one liked it, by that time people had enough with Hogan, his 2002 run was awesome, but by 2003
it was too much, The Event was promoted poorly, and Royal Rumble that year got a bigger buyrate than 19!

Austin vs Rock 3, been there done that (The Rock was already more popular than Austin in 2002 and surpassed him)
HHH vs Booker T in a racist storyline that saw Booker lose..............cringe
HHH's reign of terror made ratings fall, people just weren't feeling WWE majority of 2003
No one gave a fudge about Brock vs Angle
Nothing fun happened at this mania
This is why some people feel that WM  18 was the end of the attitude era even tho WM 17 ushered the invasion era with Austin turning heel. The rock was still the top babyface of the company up until mid-2002 when he lost to lesner in SummerSlam 2002. From late 99-mid 02, the rock pretty much took Austin's place as the number 1 babyface after him being run over by Rikishi in survivor series 99 and Triple h being the biggest heel in wwe in 2000 got the rock massively over plus his charisma, humor and him being somewhat inspirational as a face. The rock was already over as a heel in 98 and early 99 but it was his feud with HHH that cemented him as the face of the wwe and eventually getting him movie roles.

Written By: John Titor on 12/26/18 at 8:44 pm

This is why some people feel that WM  18 was the end of the attitude era even tho WM 17 ushered the invasion era with Austin turning heel. The rock was still the top babyface of the company up until mid-2002 when he lost to lesner in SummerSlam 2002. From late 99-mid 02, the rock pretty much took Austin's place as the number 1 babyface after him being run over by Rikishi in survivor series 99 and Triple h being the biggest heel in wwe in 2000 got the rock massively over plus his charisma, humor and him being somewhat inspirational as a face. The rock was already over as a heel in 98 and early 99 but it was his feud with HHH that cemented him as the face of the wwe and eventually getting him movie roles.

99 onwards it was ROCK's country, face of games, promos, his own show named after him, Austin was second fiddle and never regained his popularity even when he came back in October 2000. The attitude era 100% ended in 2002, it was still WWF, and ring crew still wore WWF ATTITUDE signature t shirts, even the intro sig said WWF ATTITUDE, wwf still had the RAW IS WAR titantron set as well.  The monday night wars ended in 2001, but the Attitude era ended in 2002 before the first draft.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 12/26/18 at 11:36 pm

Yea some people put the invasion era with the attitude era. The rock felt more like an underdog compared to Austin. WM 16 is a perfect example of that when Rock lost to HHH at WM 16 Triple H got massive heat and it was the first time a babyface loses don't win a world title at Wrestlemania. It was the main reason why 16 is regarded as one of the worst Wrestlemanias of all time despite being historic as being the first WrestleMania of the new millennium, triangle ladder match and heels winning the main event. It was his lost at 16 that made his comeback in Backlash 2000 so iconic. Austin wins felt more obvious as a face but his character saved him from getting Cena heat while the rock took so many loses as a top babyface he even put over midcard guys like the dudleys on a episode on smackdown in 2000 when he got 3D'd to a table, Kurt Angle pre KOR 2000 when he still had his winning streak in early 2000, he helped lita a win her first woman's title as a special guest referee, he put over Benoit, and he ultimately put over Lesner before he left in 02.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/18 at 7:34 am

Hulk Hogan in The 2000's at a Wrestlemania seemed weird, didn't seem that iconic when being in the ring with Vince McMahon, after many years Hogan wanted to get his revenge on the boss and that would include Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. The Rock was good, having Rock the heel and Hogan getting most of the cheers. Then a couple of years later Hogan faced Shawn Michaels in 2005 and Randy Orton at Summerslam 2006.

Written By: John Titor on 12/27/18 at 12:48 pm

Hulk Hogan in The 2000's at a Wrestlemania seemed weird, didn't seem that iconic when being in the ring with Vince McMahon, after many years Hogan wanted to get his revenge on the boss and that would include Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. The Rock was good, having Rock the heel and Hogan getting most of the cheers. Then a couple of years later Hogan faced Shawn Michaels in 2005 and Randy Orton at Summerslam 2006.

so many old wrestling fans tuned into WWF during early 2002 just for Hogan, I remember people in my class that stopped watching wrestling were suddenly tuning in again for Hogan. Everyone in this arena was cheering Hogan when he hit that leg drop on RAW lol

hBzNVs_swJU

Written By: Howard on 12/27/18 at 1:10 pm

so many old wrestling fans tuned into WWF during early 2002 just for Hogan, I remember people in my class that stopped watching wrestling were suddenly tuning in again for Hogan. Everyone in this arena was cheering Hogan when he hit that leg drop on RAW lol

hBzNVs_swJU

Everyone wanted Hogan vs. Stone Cold, a clash of styles would've made a good Wrestlemania main event, don't you think?

Written By: John Titor on 12/27/18 at 3:22 pm

Everyone wanted Hogan vs. Stone Cold, a clash of styles would've made a good Wrestlemania main event, don't you think?

Would have made a good Summerslam, but Rock was the bigger star than Austin at that point, so it makes sense why
they went with Rock.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/18 at 2:25 pm

Would have made a good Summerslam, but Rock was the bigger star than Austin at that point, so it makes sense why
they went with Rock.

I think Steve Austin still had neck problems at this time so it wouldn't have made a good match-up.

Written By: John Titor on 12/28/18 at 5:02 pm

I think Steve Austin still had neck problems at this time so it wouldn't have made a good match-up.

it almost happened in 97, Hogan was suppose to come back to start a feud with Austin but he asked for 2 much money,
instead the money went to Tyson, JR even name drops Hogan many times in late 97. He would have been the leader of DX.

Vince & Hogan had good communication in the late 90's even shaking hands during Owens funeral
https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-28-2017/m3hnaB.gif

Written By: Howard on 12/29/18 at 2:03 pm

it almost happened in 97, Hogan was suppose to come back to start a feud with Austin but he asked for 2 much money,
instead the money went to Tyson, JR even name drops Hogan many times in late 97. He would have been the leader of DX.

Vince & Hogan had good communication in the late 90's even shaking hands during Owens funeral
https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-28-2017/m3hnaB.gif

Who was the one that asked for more money? ???

Written By: John Titor on 12/29/18 at 4:21 pm

Who was the one that asked for more money? ???

Hogan, Vince told him he could not match Ted Turner's offer

Vince did the same thing in 99 before Owen died, Bret Hart came back to the WWF in 1999 at a house show in Canada.
I believe it was The Rock who sent Bret the invite, and Vince tried to do contract negotiations for when his WCW deal expired.
We were most likely going to see Bret Hart back had that fall not happen. Vince & Bret also met again in late 1999 at a park
in Canada, Vince brought cops because he was worried Bret was going to shoot him with a gun.

https://www.wrestleview.com/faq/?article=brethart

He did this again in 2002, Bret Hart was suppose to be the referee for the HHH Y2j match at Wrestlemania X-8
Despite the animosity Vince had he always kept a professional relationship with his former employees,

Written By: Howard on 12/30/18 at 2:17 pm

Hogan, Vince told him he could not match Ted Turner's offer

Vince did the same thing in 99 before Owen died, Bret Hart came back to the WWF in 1999 at a house show in Canada.
I believe it was The Rock who sent Bret the invite, and Vince tried to do contract negotiations for when his WCW deal expired.
We were most likely going to see Bret Hart back had that fall not happen. Vince & Bret also met again in late 1999 at a park
in Canada, Vince brought cops because he was worried Bret was going to shoot him with a gun.

https://www.wrestleview.com/faq/?article=brethart

He did this again in 2002, Bret Hart was suppose to be the referee for the HHH Y2j match at Wrestlemania X-8
Despite the animosity Vince had he always kept a professional relationship with his former employees,

And this is why you keep on negotiating until you get a price that is suitable for him to come back.

Written By: John Titor on 12/30/18 at 2:24 pm

And this is why you keep on negotiating until you get a price that is suitable for him to come back.

not until 2005 they came to a price, and then Bret came back for the 2006 Hall of Fame

Written By: Howard on 12/30/18 at 2:48 pm

not until 2005 they came to a price, and then Bret came back for the 2006 Hall of Fame

Remember when Shawn Michaels teased Bret coming back in 2005?

Check for new replies or respond here...