inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which difference seems greater to you? The times before and after 9/11 or

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/01/17 at 11:16 pm

The times before and after the 2008 crash? Which would you say changed society more and was more of a crisis?

Subject: Re: Which difference seems greater to you? The times before and after 9/11 or

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/01/17 at 11:19 pm

Neither; the time before and after 2006 feels most different to me.

Subject: Re: Which difference seems greater to you? The times before and after 9/11 or

Written By: 2001 on 04/01/17 at 11:23 pm

I'm not American so I'm not the most unbiased on this, but the recession felt like a bigger change to me. The impacts of it were more global. You had the Eurocrisis, and even many second-tier economies like Turkey's and Brazil's derail and never get back on track again.

Written By: 2001 on 04/01/17 at 11:23 pm

What happened in 2006? And don't say Malcolm in The Middle or PS3  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 04/01/17 at 11:25 pm

For me it's anytime before mid 2008 and afterwards that felt so different in my life personally, politically, worldly and pop culturally.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/01/17 at 11:31 pm

Malcolm in the Middle is the center of the universe so yes, Malcolm in the Middle marked the shift.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/01/17 at 11:32 pm

;D LMAO.

Malcolm in the Middle is the center of the universe so yes, Malcolm in the Middle marked the shift.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/01/17 at 11:34 pm

For me it's anytime before mid 2008 and afterwards that felt so different in my life personally, politically, worldly and pop culturally.

In the USA, I would definetly say the times before and after 9/11 were a greater difference. For the world as a whole and me personally before and after the 2008 recession were a big difference.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/17 at 11:37 pm

2008 crash, definitely. No offense, but the 9/11 attacks, tragic as they were, didn't affect as many people as the 2008 crash.

If you listen to the doom-and-gloomers, some say that the economy will never be the same post-2008. I don't believe that, I just believe it takes a while (at least 8 years, I'm pretty sure even longer) to heal from such a huge crash like the 2008/2009 one!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/01/17 at 11:40 pm

The time before and after Pitbull's The Boatlift is the greatest difference to me more than anything else. Only other bigger change was the change from the early 80's to the mid-late 80's.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/01/17 at 11:42 pm

In the USA, I would definetly say the times before and after 9/11 were a greater difference. For the world as a whole and me personally before and after the 2008 recession were a big difference.

I agree 9/11 made a huge impact, however in my personal life 2001 as a whole was a transitional year. A lot of people in my family moved to new houses or got new furniture & TV's throughout Spring 2001, and we switched over to Windows XP and broadband towards the end of 2001. My hometown cut a lot of trees, built new roads, and built new stores throughout 2001 which was a big transition. I have vague memories of the only Kroger, Publix, Smoothie King, KB toys, or other stores in town throughout 1999 & 2000 and they were old 90's looking ones with small ceilings, but in 2001 when new stores were built all of them felt modernized and completely 2000's. The first half of pre-K (Fall 2000) was a completely different world compared to the second half of it to me. Same goes for Kindergarten too how Fall 2001 felt so different than Spring 2002.

Written By: 2001 on 04/01/17 at 11:44 pm

But the PG episodes you watched ended earlier.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 04/01/17 at 11:51 pm

2008 crash, definitely. No offense, but the 9/11 attacks, tragic as they were, didn't affect as many people as the 2008 crash.

If you listen to the doom-and-gloomers, some say that the economy will never be the same post-2008. I don't believe that, I just believe it takes a while (at least 8 years, I'm pretty sure even longer) to heal from such a huge crash like the 2008/2009 one!

I believe the future economy will be better than the late 20th century economy. I believe in neo-liberalism!!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/17 at 11:55 pm

I believe the future economy will be better than the late 20th century economy. I believe in neo-liberalism!!

Yeah!!!  8)

Written By: Looney Toon on 04/02/17 at 6:19 am

A slightly strange question to ask. Before 911 there are centuries of time. After 911 is less than 2 decades. They both have their great monents.

Written By: Looney Toon on 04/02/17 at 6:21 am

I'm not American so I'm not the most unbiased on this, but the recession felt like a bigger change to me. The impacts of it were more global. You had the Eurocrisis, and even many second-tier economies like Turkey's and Brazil's derail and never get back on track again.

This is a legit statement. 911 was just in America while 2008 had the recession which effect everything due to wide spread it was .

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 8:17 am

I think the 2008 recession was probably the aftermath of the '43 Bush years, since he didn't do great with the economy. I think anything after mid 2009 was more modern, especially towards my life.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/02/17 at 9:58 pm

From an American standpoint: 9/11

From an International standpoint: 2008 Crisis

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 10:12 pm

I agree.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/02/17 at 10:58 pm

The times before and after the 2008 crash? Which would you say changed society more and was more of a crisis?

In my personal life, the 2008 crash effected me more.  In terms of our society and culture, 9/11 probably had more effect.  For me, both events are dividing lines between eras of my life.  9/11 separated my childhood and early teen years from my late teen and college years.  The 2008 crash separated my life from the college era to adulthood.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/17 at 11:10 pm

Definitely the times before the 2008 crash. It feels like a different world for culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/17 at 11:11 pm

Good point.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/02/17 at 11:13 pm

2006 was not that big of a change.  ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/17 at 7:16 am

2006 was not that big of a change.  ::)

Same here. By late 2008 (specifically November), people proclaimed that things were changing with Obama's victory in that year's election.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 10:23 pm

I would say both, but the recession took a hold on me more which has prevented me from getting a job.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/17 at 1:35 pm

In my personal life, the 2008 crash effected me more.  In terms of our society and culture, 9/11 probably had more effect.  For me, both events are dividing lines between eras of my life.  9/11 separated my childhood and early teen years from my late teen and college years.  The 2008 crash separated my life from the college era to adulthood.

That's how I feel, too. I had just turned 14 two months before 9/11 happened, and just started high school a few weeks before. I feel like I "grew up" that day. The shocking nature of what happened on 9/11 was something that truly shattered the sense of "innocence" that I had developed growing up in the '90s. We've all seen the images so many times that you kind of become numb to them, but it's hard to describe to those too young to remember what it was like to watch AIRPLANES crashing into skyscrapers. I'd never even seen that in a Summer blockbuster. It was unprecedented.

The Great Recession also happened at a really pivotal time for me. I graduated from college in the spring of 2009, which was when the recession was at it's worst. A few months later, after I'd filled out dozens of applications but still hadn't been able to find a job, I knew my carefree college days were over.

Written By: TheKid99 on 04/04/17 at 7:59 pm

I think the 2008 recession was probably the aftermath of the '43 Bush years, since he didn't do great with the economy. I think anything after mid 2009 was more modern, especially towards my life.

The 2008 Recession was caused by decades of both parties mistakes.... not just Bush 43...

Clinton repealing Glass Stegal.... loosening regulations.... making banks try to pander to minorities by creating NINJA loans.... the housing bubble itself started UNDER Clinton but escalated dramtically during Bush's years. 1998-2006 would be the Bubble timeline for me.

From 2003-2005 the US Economy was in a pretty good state actually, mostly because of the housing bubble. Hurricane Katrina, Rita, Wilma did a lot of damage to the US Economy and late 2005 started the shift towards recession.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/05/17 at 2:15 pm

The 2008 Recession was caused by decades of both parties mistakes.... not just Bush 43...

Well I'll be honest, I don't really think '43 Bush started the recession necessarily. It might be true that both Democrats and Republicans did it because of how they went through tough times in the late 20th century and early 21st century. I'm not an expert over the economy, but from what I can tell, there could be A LOT of reasons why the 2008 recession happened.

From 2003-2005 the US Economy was in a pretty good state actually, mostly because of the housing bubble. Hurricane Katrina, Rita, Wilma did a lot of damage to the US Economy and late 2005 started the shift towards recession.

So how does hurricanes attack the economy in any way?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/16/17 at 1:45 pm

This is an interesting video I came across from last year, on the 15th anniversary of 9/11, showing how 2000's babies react to the event. Kind of a unique perspective of those too young to remember 9/11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugp_QluPos4

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/16/17 at 1:52 pm

I agree 9/11 made a huge impact, however in my personal life 2001 as a whole was a transitional year. A lot of people in my family moved to new houses or got new furniture & TV's throughout Spring 2001, and we switched over to Windows XP and broadband towards the end of 2001. My hometown cut a lot of trees, built new roads, and built new stores throughout 2001 which was a big transition. I have vague memories of the only Kroger, Publix, Smoothie King, KB toys, or other stores in town throughout 1999 & 2000 and they were old 90's looking ones with small ceilings, but in 2001 when new stores were built all of them felt modernized and completely 2000's. The first half of pre-K (Fall 2000) was a completely different world compared to the second half of it to me. Same goes for Kindergarten too how Fall 2001 felt so different than Spring 2002.

I agree with the first one.
But Marquis... the first half of 2000-01 felt different to you than the second half did?! ???  It all felt the same to me. ::)  Maybe it was because of your age. :o
Now the first half of 2001-02 being different than the second half i'll actually agree with to some degree.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 2:21 pm

This is an interesting video I came across from last year, on the 15th anniversary of 9/11, showing how 2000's babies react to the event. Kind of a unique perspective of those too young to remember 9/11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugp_QluPos4

Yeah, it is an interesting video. The only thing I didn't like is how at the end they tried to make it seem like America was totally peaceful, problem-free and wonderful before 9/11.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/16/17 at 2:24 pm

Yeah, it is an interesting video. The only thing I didn't like is how at the end they tried to make it seem like America was totally peaceful, problem-free and wonderful before 9/11.

I honestly don't like of how people say that 9/11 changed America's innocence. Even though our children were just as innocent as they were before 9/11 happened.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/16/17 at 2:25 pm

I think it overall depends on age... For example I was a little kid when the twin towers collapsed, If I was in my older childhood then I guess the time before 9/11 would kinda seem farther who knows. But seeing as how the economic crash of 2008 happened the year entered teenhood, yeah it would be the bigger difference, it seemed like EVERYTHING begun to completely change after the summer of 2008.  I've said it once and I'll say it again... 2008-09 was the biggest shift the likes of which I've NEVER seen and i haven't seen anything like it SINCE! :o :o :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 2:29 pm

I honestly don't like of how people say that 9/11 changed America's innocence. Even though our children were just as innocent as they were before 9/11 happened.

I think they really mean "America's ignorance" because most Americans before 9/11 thought that the USA was invincible and that nobody could touch America...then BOOM.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/16/17 at 2:35 pm

I think they really mean "America's ignorance" because most Americans before 9//1 thought that the USA was invincible and that nobody could touch America...then BOOM.

Well that makes sense. Even though we're still a superpower.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 2:38 pm

Well that makes sense. Even though we're still a superpower.

Of course, we're still a superpower. However, most Americans just thought that terrorism on the scale of 9/11 was only something that happened in Israel, Egypt and in general the Middle East.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 04/17/17 at 8:06 am

For me, 2008 crash, without a doubt. Though you could argue 911 contributed to the conditions which brought about the crash, the crash itself feels way more significant to me. One thing I find interesting to note is the way it kind of ended that post 80s satire/cynicism thing that began in the 90s and pretty much continued right up until the mid 00s. Being mopey was cool, but after the 08, it became genuine despair, and the entire social mood just changed dramatically. I honestly feel like we just haven't been the same since, and 08 definitely serves as a major dividing year in my life

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/17 at 8:24 am

For me, 2008 crash, without a doubt. Though you could argue 911 contributed to the conditions which brought about the crash, the crash itself feels way more significant to me. One thing I find interesting to note is the way it kind of ended that post 80s satire/cynicism thing that began in the 90s and pretty much continued right up until the mid 00s. Being mopey was cool, but after the 08, it became genuine despair, and the entire social mood just changed dramatically. I honestly feel like we just haven't been the same since, and 08 definitely serves as a major dividing year in my life

It might be the Iraq War that caused it, since it was George W. Bush's decision to think that the country had WMDs.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 04/17/17 at 8:29 am

It might be the Iraq War that caused it, since it was George W. Bush's decision to think that the country had WMDs.

I'd definitely say that the war was the actual trigger, though I think the conditions that made it possible had been building up since the 80s, and I had heard that some of the legislation Clinton signed pretty much made it inevitable.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/17 at 9:01 am

I'd definitely say that the war was the actual trigger, though I think the conditions that made it possible had been building up since the 80s, and I had heard that some of the legislation Clinton signed pretty much made it inevitable.

I think the presidencies of Reagan, H.W. Bush, Clinton, and '43 Bush might have something to do with it.

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 04/17/17 at 9:20 am

I think the presidencies of Reagan, H.W. Bush, Clinton, and '43 Bush might have something to do with it.

Hey, you didn't get the memo? We're blaming Obama for it now.

Thanks, Obama  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/17 at 9:25 am

Hey, you didn't get the memo? We're blaming Obama for it now.

Thanks, Obama  ;D

Well yeah, but that's mostly from the Republicans ever since he was inaugurated.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/17/17 at 9:27 am

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but most economists that I've heard say that the easy credit policies of the Clinton and Bush administrations that tried to push people into buying houses that the couldn't really afford the mortgage payments on (remember Bush's "ownership society" rhetoric?) was what set the stage for the Housing Bubble bursting in 2006-07, and ultimately the Great Recession.

It's funny, but my parents actually benefited from that era. They bought the house they currently live in back in 2001 when banks were handing out loans to just about anybody. My dad (who's credit was not that great back in the early '00s) probably wouldn't have been able to buy a house like his current one today with the credit he had back in 2001. Luckily, his situation had gotten quite a bit better by 2008, so my parents got through the housing crunch pretty much unscathed.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/17 at 4:18 pm

My college professor, who has taught me in Policy analysis, Terrorism and Intro told us students that Bush Sr, Clinton, George W were all still in the age of what Reagan brought to politics. He said that Obama ushered in a whole new era, he basically moved everything to the left. But now that Trump's policies are being created he may put an end to that era.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 4:34 pm

My college professor, who has taught me in Policy analysis, Terrorism and Intro told us students that Bush Sr, Clinton, George W were all still in the age of what Reagan brought to politics. He said that Obama ushered in a whole new era, he basically moved everything to the left. But now that Trump's policies are being created he may put an end to that era.

I agree with your professor.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/17 at 4:38 pm

I guess that makes sense since Obama was more revolutionary within his side compared to the last four presidents before him.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/17 at 4:40 pm

One thing I find interesting to note is the way it kind of ended that post 80s satire/cynicism thing that began in the 90s and pretty much continued right up until the mid 00s. Being mopey was cool, but after the 08, it became genuine despair, and the entire social mood just changed dramatically. I honestly feel like we just haven't been the same since, and 08 definitely serves as a major dividing year in my life

Yep that second half of 2008, ended up being the final nail in the coffin to what began over 20 years prior.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/17 at 4:41 pm

I guess that makes sense since Obama was more revolutionary within his side compared to the last four presidents before him.

Yea, you could say he was the Reagan of the Left.

Check for new replies or respond here...