inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People stopped going to The Mall around 2008

Written By: the2001 on 04/09/17 at 3:24 pm

Something that I noticed is even before all of the stores started closing, Circuit City, BlockBuster, SunCoast,Kay B Toys, Walden books
that mall traffic was atleast 30% less as it was in the years prior. Did anyone else get this vibe? It did not seem to me like the mall
was being frequented as much as it has in the years prior.

There were many times I would go to the mall in 2008 and it would be almost dead, compare that to 2006,2005,2004 when
you saw EVERYONE from school at the mall at any time. Just an observation I noticed. Now this does not apply to every mall,
but I noticed this trend of DEAD MALLS/less occupied malls really started happening around summer 2008.

Subject: Re: People stopped going to The Mall around 2008

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/09/17 at 3:25 pm

It's the Democrats' fault.

Ever notice how everything change around 2007-2009, not coincidentally after they took Congress?

Written By: the2001 on 04/09/17 at 3:26 pm

It's Obama's fault.

Obama wasn't even in office until 2009, and was not even elected until NOV 2008 lol

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/09/17 at 3:26 pm

I'm kidding.

Probably an inaccurate joke though.

Written By: 2001 on 04/09/17 at 3:41 pm

Over here in Canada, malls were declining throughout the 2000s compared to their heydays in the 1990s, but there has been a resurgence in the 2010s. This is mostly because malls were restructured to be community hubs rather than shopping centres. In my mall we have an ice skating rink and there are all sorts of parades and events there. It's fun to go in the winter when it's cold outside.  :D

Here's an interesting article about it: http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/better-design-and-atmosphere-why-canadian-malls-are-thriving-while-american-malls-struggle

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/17 at 3:49 pm

Obama wasn't even in office until 2009, and was not even elected until NOV 2008 lol

Yeah but it's definitely Dubya's fault. George W. Bush is the anti-Christ :-X.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/09/17 at 4:24 pm

I honestly didn't care about going to the mall during my life. I'm not that much of a shopper anyway. But going to the food court is always the most enjoyable part of the mall for me. That, and my mall's local Disney Store that I used to go to when I was little.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/10/17 at 1:32 am

Something that I noticed is even before all of the stores started closing, Circuit City, BlockBuster, SunCoast,Kay B Toys, Walden books
that mall traffic was atleast 30% less as it was in the years prior. Did anyone else get this vibe? It did not seem to me like the mall

There were many times I would go to the mall in 2008 and it would be almost dead, compare that to 2006,2005,2004 when
you saw EVERYONE from school at the mall at any time. Just an observation I noticed. Now this does not apply to every mall,
but I noticed this trend of DEAD MALLS/less occupied malls really started happening around summer 2008.

Retail did change around that time.  Shopping malls are still popular but only the upscale ones with high-end brands.  The quintessential '80s and '90s malls that were teen playgrounds and had stores targeting middle class families started disappearing around '08.  There are still many holding on but its nothing like it used to be.  The middle class left the malls for big box stores during the recession and simply never returned.  That is why you are seeing household names that once dominated the middle class like Sears, Macy's, and JCPenney struggling when the overall retail economy isn't that bad.

EDIT: The computer/electronics superstores were strangled by the Internet for the high-end stuff and Wal-Mart for the low-end.  That is why you rarely see anything other than Best Buy anymore outside of the major metro areas.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/10/17 at 3:49 am

I still go to malls

Written By: Howard on 04/10/17 at 5:27 am

I still go to malls

I don't really go to the malls like I used to anymore and now with online shopping, people are shopping from home in their pajamas.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/10/17 at 9:12 am

Online shopping is most likely the reason. The last time I recall going to the mall was 04. It did have a magical excitement feel to it back then. I still feel some hype going now though depending on its size.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/10/17 at 1:19 pm

Online shopping is most likely the reason. The last time I recall going to the mall was 04. It did have a magical excitement feel to it back then. I still feel some hype going now though depending on its size.

I don't think online shopping is the entire reason.  Clothes can be a pain to buy online unless you know exactly what you want.  Plus, if they don't fit and/or you don't like them after trying them on, it's a royal PITA to send them back and exchange them.  Now when it comes to specific stores like Sam Goody, Suncoast, etc, I do agree that online shopping did them in.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/10/17 at 4:03 pm

So am I unusual for still going to malls in 2017? I like browsing around and shopping and it doesn't seem totally dead to me.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 4:28 pm

So am I unusual for still going to malls in 2017? I like browsing around and shopping and it doesn't seem totally dead to me.

No, it's normal. I still go every other week.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/10/17 at 10:45 pm

It really depends on the mall.  The kind that were family entertainment destinations (and teen hangout spots) with stores that skew from the middle class towards bargain shopping are on the decline to the point that I am not sure there are very many left outside of smaller towns/cities.  Fashion forward malls however are still quite popular.

Written By: Howard on 04/11/17 at 4:09 pm

I may go to a mall with a friend just occasionally but other than that I have no reason anymore to go to one.

Written By: Howard on 04/11/17 at 4:11 pm

My Father shops for products online and gets it shipped to our house within 7-10 days of delivery.

Written By: the2001 on 04/13/17 at 1:54 pm

Seeing all those stores close in LATE 2008 was sad

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/17 at 1:55 am

I still go to malls
I visited three different shopping malls last Sunday!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/14/17 at 2:09 am

I don't think malls will ever run out of style fully.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/17 at 5:24 am

I don't think malls will ever run out of style fully.

It will keep evolving to appeal to different people.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/14/17 at 10:35 am

It will keep evolving to appeal to different people.

I went to the mall a lot in the late 90's as a kid.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/14/17 at 10:50 am

I don't know if other agree, but I think 2005-06 was the last time that the mall was still truly a "teenage destination" like it had been in the '80s and '90s. I remember around that time that Hot Topic was extremely popular (particularly with the Emo crowd), and I used to still go to the mall with my friends and hang out, look at CDs/DVDs/video games, grab something to eat at the food court, and all of that type of stuff.

I don't know what happened, but it's like all of that just fell off a cliff starting in the late '00s. I don't remember a single friend of mine calling me to go hang out at the mall after early 2007 or so. Nowadays, whenever I go to any malls in my area, their just about always half-empty unless it's during the Christmas shopping season or something like that.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/14/17 at 11:56 am

I don't know if other agree, but I think 2005-06 was the last time that the mall was still truly a "teenage destination" like it had been in the '80s and '90s. I remember around that time that Hot Topic was extremely popular (particularly with the Emo crowd), and I used to still go to the mall with my friends and hang out, look at CDs/DVDs/video games, grab something to eat at the food court, and all of that type of stuff.

I don't know what happened, but it's like all of that just fell off a cliff starting in the late '00s. I don't remember a single friend of mine calling me to go hang out at the mall after early 2007 or so. Nowadays, whenever I go to any malls in my area, their just about always half-empty unless it's during the Christmas shopping season or something like that.

I actually feel sad about that. I used to go to the mall occasionally as a child.

I would say that the shooting at Westroads Mall towards the end of 2007 also contributed to why people stopped going to malls.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/14/17 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, I think the "Mean Girls" era was the last era that hanging out at the mall was trendy for teenagers.  I think one aspect of teens moving away from malls has been the fact that popular teen stores with logo-centric clothing like A&F, American Eagle, Aero, etc have fallen out of favor, though that didn't really happen until the early '10s.  Also, I think the Internet has had an effect.  Not just online shopping, but the fact that places like the mall are no longer necessary for teens to mix and mingle.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/14/17 at 3:47 pm

I just went to my local mall and there were a lot of people there. Not sure if it's because of Good Friday, or that it usually had a lot of people. There were so many people down at the food court, that I had to wait for a seat. So it was moderately crowded there. Maybe it's because I live in a NYC borough, or that it's the only mall near those people.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/17 at 5:35 pm

I went to the mall a lot in the late 90's as a kid.

I slowly stopped in the late 90's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/17 at 8:26 pm

Where I am currently located, it is in the malls where the cinemas are found!

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/14/17 at 9:46 pm

I still go to bricks and mortar stores, but only very occasionally.

Traditional suburban shopping malls, on the other hand? Yeah, it's been ages.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 9:47 pm

I still go to bricks and mortar stores, but only very occasionally.

Traditional suburban shopping malls, on the other hand? Yeah, it's been ages.

BTW, how old are you/what year were you born?

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/14/17 at 9:51 pm

BTW, how old are you/what year were you born?

I was born March 19, 1991.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 9:53 pm

I was born March 19, 1991.

Oh wow, you and another new user were born in March '91. Interesting.

Written By: Howard on 04/15/17 at 5:09 am

How much do they charge?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/17 at 6:07 am

How much do they charge?
Very cheap here, around P230.

Written By: 2001 on 04/15/17 at 8:36 am

Same here, though there are stand-alone ones as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/17 at 9:11 am

Same here, though there are stand-alone ones as well.
Plenty here in the malls of the Philippines, but still plenty of stand-alone cinemas back in London.

Written By: 2001 on 04/15/17 at 9:14 am

Plenty here in the malls of the Philippines, but still plenty of stand-alone cinemas back in London.

I went to a mall in London in 2005. Hmm, I wish I remembered what it was called. They had a huge video game shop. ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/17 at 10:07 am

I went to a mall in London in 2005. Hmm, I wish I remembered what it was called. They had a huge video game shop. ???
Can you remember the location of the mall, was it to the north, south, east, or west?

Written By: 2001 on 04/15/17 at 1:28 pm

Can you remember the location of the mall, was it to the north, south, east, or west?

I asked my mother but she doesn't remember. My father's away, I'm sure he remembers. All I remember is that it closed at 5PM or 6PM on a regular weekday, which I thought was very early. :o

I do remember the mall I went to in Manchester (in 2003): the Manchester Arndale! I had fun there. :)

Written By: ofkx on 01/09/18 at 3:56 pm

The malls around me must have not gotten the memo ???. they’re still disgustingly crowded every weekend 8-P.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/09/18 at 3:57 pm

I strongly disagree with this thread. People in my school still go to the mall to hangout. Hell, I still hangout at the mall with my friends, and it’s not uncommon to see people from school there especially when it’s the nearest one.

Written By: ofkx on 01/09/18 at 3:58 pm

I strongly disagree with this thread. People in my school still go to the mall to hangout. Hell, I still hangout at the mall with my friends, and it’s not uncommon to see people from school there especially when it’s the nearest one.

Yeah. It’s always our go to spot when we can’t find something to do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/18 at 4:00 pm

Yeah. It’s always our go to spot when we can’t find something to do.
It's the same for me, but I avoid the sales.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/09/18 at 4:01 pm

The malls in my area are reall, really busy. The other day it took us 45 minutes to find a park outside >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/18 at 4:02 pm

The malls in my area are reall, really busy. The other day it took us 45 minutes to find a park outside >:(
I walk to mine!  ;)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/09/18 at 4:06 pm

I walk to mine!  ;)

Yeah mines just too far to walk

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/09/18 at 5:28 pm

There are outlet malls being built that have become popular. Same stores you'd find in an indoor mall, and there is no shortage of clothing retailers and restaurants outside the mall either, which over here is still the indoor kind with no shortage of people visiting it.

Retail did change around that time.  Shopping malls are still popular but only the upscale ones with high-end brands.  The quintessential '80s and '90s malls that were teen playgrounds and had stores targeting middle class families started disappearing around '08.  There are still many holding on but its nothing like it used to be.  The middle class left the malls for big box stores during the recession and simply never returned.  That is why you are seeing household names that once dominated the middle class like Sears, Macy's, and JCPenney struggling when the overall retail economy isn't that bad.

EDIT: The computer/electronics superstores were strangled by the Internet for the high-end stuff and Wal-Mart for the low-end.  That is why you rarely see anything other than Best Buy anymore outside of the major metro areas.

Malls that relied heavily on JC Penny and Sears and those kinds of stores without much else going for them tend to fail. There is a larger city not far from here that used to have a mall no one went to, almost completely dead. They had Barnes and Noble and Old Navy as stores across the street on their own, but the mall itself wasn't so great. It was kind of dark inside and didn't have a very inviting design to it. So when the whole thing was removed and strip malls took it's place, you hear about new businesses setting up in that area left and right!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/18 at 5:36 pm

Yes, I do walk there, but I do take the bus back home.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/09/18 at 5:40 pm

I still have fond memories of me and friends too young to drive getting dropped off at the mall to go waste time for a couple hours then go sit outside Sears and wait to be picked up because that was our drop off spot. Hot Topic and Spencer's were always priorities to visit every time. Now my favorite would be Barnes and Noble I think. I can order online from that store, I've done it plenty of times, but I need to at least go there to buy the gift card to do so.

The most popular cinemas here are the ones located in malls. The stand alone kind just aren't the same as they were, and they tend to be expensive.

Subject: People stopped going to The Mall around 2008

Written By: Dude111 on 01/09/18 at 6:32 pm

If there was ANYTHING GOOD to goto the mall for now I would!

1) Arcade games (Early 80s original games)
2) Video stores that sell records and VHS tapes :) (There was 1 in my mall here but they moved up north to that mall)

Nothing but trash in malls now.........

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/18 at 6:33 pm

The mall in my area is in pretty bad shape.  Sears is closing as we speak.  Macy's closed last year.  Many of the stores that were there when I was a teenager aren't there anymore and have been replaced by stuff like "Cash & Gold" and "Shoe Mart."  There are more and more instances of fights breaking out there.  I think its just a matter of time before it's gone.  The thing about malls is once stores start to close and the place develops a bad reputation, its hard to stop it.  It's sad because I have a lot of good memories there back in the early '00s. 

I will say upscale big city malls are still doing well.  The Galleria in Dallas is awesome and is still always packed.  Mid-tier and small market malls however probably won't be around much longer.  Wal-Mart and Amazon have given them the death punch.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/18 at 6:38 pm

Malls are relics and symbols of American power during the 80's and 90's. A lot of people, even older generations, like the Baby Boomers and the Silent Generation, liked the 80's and 90's!

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/18 at 6:53 pm

The mall near me is the same. I can use the handicap spot and there's still no spots. :/

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/09/18 at 6:55 pm

The mall in my area is in pretty bad shape.  Sears is closing as we speak.  Macy's closed last year.  Many of the stores that were there when I was a teenager aren't there anymore and have been replaced by stuff like "Cash & Gold" and "Shoe Mart."  There are more and more instances of fights breaking out there.  I think its just a matter of time before it's gone.  The thing about malls is once stores start to close and the place develops a bad reputation, its hard to stop it.  It's sad because I have a lot of good memories there back in the early '00s. 

I will say upscale big city malls are still doing well.  The Galleria in Dallas is awesome and is still always packed.  Mid-tier and small market malls however probably won't be around much longer.  Wal-Mart and Amazon have given them the death punch.

Your mall went ghetto! It would be for the best of them to take it down and put up strip mall outlets in that case.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/18 at 2:40 pm

The malls around me must have not gotten the memo ???. they’re still disgustingly crowded every weekend 8-P.

the weekend is where the most kids have their hangouts.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/18 at 2:41 pm

I would take a bus to mine.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/18 at 2:44 pm

If there was ANYTHING GOOD to goto the mall for now I would!

1) Arcade games (Early 80s original games)
2) Video stores that sell records and VHS tapes :) (There was 1 in my mall here but they moved up north to that mall)

Nothing but trash in malls now.........

I know Dude, I agree malls just aren't my thing anymore but if a Friend and I go to the mall we will travel to one and take a bus there, other than that I lost my interest in them.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/16/18 at 7:02 pm

People stopped going to the mall around 2010. I remember the malls were packed in 2008 because of the iPod, DS and Wii.

Written By: John Titor on 01/16/18 at 7:14 pm

People stopped going to the mall around 2010. I remember the malls were packed in 2008 because of the iPod, DS and Wii.

2010 there was def a decline, but it wasn't as bad as like 2012 2013 2014 2015

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/18 at 7:57 pm

What do you mean? Eaton Centre seems to have expansions every year. Yorkdale has practically quadrupled in size the last 10 years.

Written By: John Titor on 01/17/18 at 2:27 pm

What do you mean? Eaton Centre seems to have expansions every year. Yorkdale has practically quadrupled in size the last 10 years.

Traffic in gen for malls has been on a decline since 2008, it was not really noticeable until 2010

Amazon is killing stores and Sears is pretty much dead

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/18 at 2:29 pm

Traffic in gen for malls has been on a decline since 2008, it was not really noticeable until 2010

Amazon and other online shops are killing the malls, but people still go to shops and the malls to see and feel the products, and sometimes a bargain can be gain in the store, not which is gained online.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/18 at 2:30 pm

people rather shop online.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/18 at 4:57 pm

I was talking about Canada. I know in the US it's slowly dying out.

These were the most active malls in 2016

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/01/16/shopping-malls-us-canada-retail-council-report_n_14206104.html

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/5022988/thumbs/o-SHOPPING-CENTER-VISITORS-570.jpg?3

I don't see how you can say "nobody goes to the mall" when you live right next to a mall that gets an average of 131,000 visitors a day (Eaton Centre) or 66,000 visitors a day (Square One).

edit: I just checked, and Yorkdale (North Toronto) gets 20 million visitors a year too, just outside the list. That's another 55,000 visitors a day. Vaughan Mills (north of Toronto) also gets 13 million visitors a year, or 36,000 visitors a day on average. I don't see how anyone can look at these numbers and say 'nobody goes to the mall' :o

edit 2: And Fairview Mall (North Toronto) also gets 14 million visitors (38,000/day), and Scarborough Town Centre (East Toronto) gets 22 million visitors (60,000/day), just outside that list. I don't think malls are going anywhere for at least another 10 years lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/18 at 5:04 pm

people rather shop online.
What do you do if the purchased product is faulty?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/17/18 at 5:16 pm

Malls are infested with roaches now. I'm just playing.  :(

Written By: John Titor on 01/17/18 at 8:04 pm

I was talking about Canada. I know in the US it's slowly dying out.

These were the most active malls in 2016

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/01/16/shopping-malls-us-canada-retail-council-report_n_14206104.html

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/5022988/thumbs/o-SHOPPING-CENTER-VISITORS-570.jpg?3

I don't see how you can say "nobody goes to the mall" when you live right next to a mall that gets an average of 131,000 visitors a day (Eaton Centre) or 66,000 visitors a day (Square One).

edit: I just checked, and Yorkdale (North Toronto) gets 20 million visitors a year too, just outside the list. That's another 55,000 visitors a day. Vaughan Mills (north of Toronto) also gets 13 million visitors a year, or 36,000 visitors a day on average. I don't see how anyone can look at these numbers and say 'nobody goes to the mall' :o

edit 2: And Fairview Mall (North Toronto) also gets 14 million visitors (38,000/day), and Scarborough Town Centre (East Toronto) gets 22 million visitors (60,000/day), just outside that list. I don't think malls are going anywhere for at least another 10 years lol.

Wow had no idea Canadas  mall bizz was booming thats nuts

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/18 at 1:53 am

Malls are infested with roaches now. I'm just playing.  :(
Rentokil will deal with that?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/18/18 at 5:27 am

What do you do if the purchased product is faulty?

That's something to think about.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/18 at 6:09 am

That's something to think about.
If purchased online, the item has to be sent back, occurring postal charges, and will take time for a result. If purchased instore, it can be taken back (with the receipt), and be exchanged or refunded.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/18/18 at 6:15 am

If purchased online, the item has to be sent back, occurring postal charges, and will take time for a result. If purchased instore, it can be taken back (with the receipt), and be exchanged or refunded.

So much easier to return items in person.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/18 at 6:16 am

Yes indeed.

I was in my local mall this morning, only to go to the Post Office there.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/18/18 at 6:17 am

Yes indeed.

I was in my local mall this morning, only to go to the Post Office there.

Your post office is in the mall? Ours is it's own building.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/18 at 6:40 am

The local post office shutdown, probably due to rent increasing, and now is available in a large store.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/18/18 at 11:06 am

It really depends though. There are stores that allow you to purchase online and return the items in person. I've been able return and exchange items that I've bought online inside the store.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/18 at 11:44 am

It really depends though. There are stores that allow you purchase online and return  the items in person. I've been able return and exchange items that I've bought online inside the store.
Thank you for the update.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/18 at 7:04 am

You got that right.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/18 at 7:05 am

Our post office is a walk away.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 7:06 am

Our post office is a walk away.
I need to take a bus or the Tube.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/19/18 at 7:48 am

Thank you for the update.

You're welcome. I just realized you might live outside of the U.S. Maybe it's different in your country.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 9:53 am

You're welcome. I just realized you might live outside of the U.S. Maybe it's different in your country.
Each store does have it's own policy.

Written By: John Titor on 01/19/18 at 10:44 am

But you can't compare one of the top 10 highest traffic malls in the world
compared to every else in the usa lol its not reflective

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 10:45 am

But you can't compare one of the top 10 highest traffic malls in the world
compared to every else in the usa lol its not reflective
I can only (limited) speak for malls in the USA, but I have still visited many in the Philippines, but there I have never had the need to take an item back.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/18 at 1:38 pm

I can only (limited) speak for malls in the USA, but I have still visited many in the Philippines, but there I have never had the need to take an item back.

How was your experience?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/18 at 2:38 pm

How was your experience?
In which mall?

Written By: Howard on 01/20/18 at 7:06 am

In which mall?

The mall in the Philippines.

Written By: John Titor on 02/02/18 at 1:41 pm

I was recently reading some posts online about mall decline from back then and yes MALL traffic went down significantly even before the economy crash.
By 2009 forget it the malls were becoming a ghost town, with some malls getting regular traffic until late 2010.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/18 at 3:17 pm

I was recently reading some posts online about mall decline from back then and yes MALL traffic went down significantly even before the economy crash.
By 2009 forget it the malls were becoming a ghost town, with some malls getting regular traffic until late 2010.

People are shopping online these days, they just don't want to experience crowdedness in the malls.

Written By: overtherich on 02/11/18 at 7:24 am

Not in my country unfortunately. Malls here still rule king. I go to shop here during the weekend and the malls are swarming with people and their families. They love the mall because it's cold and has air condition.

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/18 at 3:16 pm

Not in my country unfortunately. Malls here still rule king. I go to shop here during the weekend and the malls are swarming with people and their families. They love the mall because it's cold and has air condition.

Why is that unfortunate? The mall is fun! :D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/11/18 at 6:53 pm

Parking is awful

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/18 at 7:53 pm

Parking is awful

Take the subway :P ;D

Yeah, the parking is awful. I swear in one of the popular Toronto malls (Yorkdale) you won't even find parking on a Tuesday afternoon  8-P Thankfully there is a subway station right under the mall.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/18 at 5:19 am

And you could wind up spending hours upon hours in the stores just shopping for whatever.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/18 at 5:20 am

And you could wind up spending hours upon hours in the stores just shopping for whatever.
I do not spend long in the mall, I am in and out quickly, it's too many people there, especially during the school holidays.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/18 at 6:24 am

I do not spend long in the mall, I am in and out quickly, it's too many people there, especially during the school holidays.

It gets crowded quickly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/18 at 6:30 am

It gets crowded quickly.
The crowds are be already there.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/10/18 at 10:24 am

That's probably about right actually. My generation, those that had their high school years after the beginning of the '00s but before the late '00s, are probably the last to truly have the whole mall culture thing be a dominant part of their youth. During my high school years, we used to hang out at malls all the time, but by the time I graduated college, it was starting to become less common.

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/18 at 1:17 pm

Depends what I'm there for. If I'm buying clothes I try to visit as many stores as possible. Otherwise if I have a specific item in mind, I'm out as quickly as I can.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/10/18 at 1:25 pm

I don't go to the mall to buy stuff, I go to hang out. So I'm in there for a while.

Written By: John Titor on 03/10/18 at 2:08 pm

That's probably about right actually. My generation, those that had their high school years after the beginning of the '00s but before the late '00s, are probably the last to truly have the whole mall culture thing be a dominant part of their youth. During my high school years, we used to hang out at malls all the time, but by the time I graduated college, it was starting to become less common.

2006 seemed to be the peak year, 2008 I did 100% see a slowdown in the amount of people that were going to the mall.

2008 is also the last year you had all of those classic stores in one place, Circuity City, KB toys and many more.

I vaguely remember Summer 2006 at the mall being like Mall Rats the movie

Written By: Howard on 03/10/18 at 2:45 pm

Depends what I'm there for. If I'm buying clothes I try to visit as many stores as possible. Otherwise if I have a specific item in mind, I'm out as quickly as I can.

I love going to the food court.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/18 at 2:46 pm

I don't go to the mall to buy stuff, I go to hang out. So I'm in there for a while.

Do you get anything to eat at the food court?

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/18 at 2:52 pm

I love going to the food court.

It's hard to find seating there at my local one since it's too crowded, so it's not very pleasant. But the mall downtown (Eaton's) and in northern Toronto (Yorkdale) have amazing food courts. I usually go for a nice meal with my friends after watching a movie at Yorkdale.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/10/18 at 2:59 pm

Do you get anything to eat at the food court?

Yes, always!

Written By: Howard on 03/10/18 at 3:53 pm

It's hard to find seating there at my local one since it's too crowded, so it's not very pleasant. But the mall downtown (Eaton's) and in northern Toronto (Yorkdale) have amazing food courts. I usually go for a nice meal with my friends after watching a movie at Yorkdale.

food courts are almost always crowded.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/18 at 12:04 pm

food courts are almost always crowded.
Not early in the morning.

I hope to go to a mall tomorrow.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/10/18 at 1:33 pm

I can see that, I have older cousins around your age and I remember them going to the mall quite a bit.  I guess for you 80s borns you were bigger into mall culture. Just watching classic sitcoms from the early 00s you often hear teens constantly asking their parents for money to go to the mall.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/18 at 1:40 pm

I went to the mall last week I'm so retro lol.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/10/18 at 1:42 pm

I went to the mall last week I'm so retro lol.
Lol Rainbow said she goes to the mall, so I guess your not so retro.

Written By: Howard on 06/10/18 at 2:31 pm

Are you going to eat at the food court? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/18 at 2:32 pm

Are you going to eat at the food court? ???
I'll eat at home.

Written By: Howard on 06/10/18 at 3:42 pm

I'll eat at home.

good idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/18 at 3:43 pm

good idea.
Cheaper and safer.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/10/18 at 3:43 pm

I'm going today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/18 at 3:46 pm

I'm going today.
Shopping or eating the food hall?

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/18 at 5:48 pm

I'm going today.

Damn better Insta this with one of the black and white filters, my favourite is Willow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/18 at 3:54 am

My visit is on hold, may be later this week.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/18 at 5:24 am

Cheaper and safer.

plus the waiting period over at the food court is ridiculous. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/18 at 5:25 am

plus the waiting period over at the food court is ridiculous. ::)
True! Your coffee will turn clod when waiting for your food?

Written By: Howard on 06/11/18 at 6:25 am

True! Your coffee will turn clod when waiting for your food?

You would need to reheat it again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/18 at 6:28 am

You would need to reheat it again.
Waste of time and good energy, stay at home!

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/11/18 at 2:12 pm

I'm a little late to this thread, but I don't get this notion. Where do people get the idea that the mall is dying? Every time I go to the local mall, there are people there. Yes, young people.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 2:20 pm

I'm a little late to this thread, but I don't get this notion. Where do people get the idea that the mall is dying? Every time I go to the local mall, there are people there. Yes, young people.  :P

Do you think these are signs of a 2000s revival?

Written By: ofkx on 06/11/18 at 2:23 pm

Yeah lol. Me and my friends actually had lunch at a nearby mall after school everyday during the last week of school.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/11/18 at 2:43 pm

Do you think these are signs of a 2000s revival?

I saw someone walk into the mall today, so yes.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 2:52 pm

I saw someone walk into the mall today, so yes.

It looks like 2000s nostalgia is starting.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/11/18 at 3:05 pm

It looks like 2000s nostalgia is starting.

I saw a kid riding his bike outside today so I think we might actually be heading back to the 90's.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 3:49 pm

I saw a kid riding his bike outside today so I think we might actually be heading back to the 90's.

Mmm that was me. Being an environmentalist hipster is a 2010s thing.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/18 at 10:18 pm

The mall isn't "cool" anymore though. That's definitely something that ended in the 2000s. I remember kids would sneak out of their house to go to the mall. Now they would probably prefer to stay in their house and be on their phone on Snap Chat.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/11/18 at 10:24 pm

The mall isn't "cool" anymore though. That's definitely something that ended in the 2000s. I remember kids would sneak out of their house to go to the mall. Now they would probably prefer to stay in their house and be on their phone on Snap Chat.
Yeah, I guess it also depends on where you live too. Me living in a rural area, going to the mall is seen as more of an adventure whereas someone from a big city might look at a mall as just another place to shop at.  People in bigger cities would take going to the mall for granted whereas people in a small town may look at it as a getaway from home.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 10:35 pm

Was going to the mall cool when you were a teen?

I liked going to Pacific Mall (Asian Mall north of Toronto) to buy Japanese video games, play their Japanese arcade and eat Asian-cuisine food but that's it. I also lived near Eaton's Centre (in downtown Toronto) which is the highest traffic mall in North America, so obviously it was always fun going there. Those two malls are very unique I feel like if I lived near any other kind of mall, I would have never bothered with them.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/11/18 at 11:49 pm

Damn better Insta this with one of the black and white filters, my favourite is Willow.

lmfao really?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/18 at 12:39 am

Was going to the mall cool when you were a teen?

I liked going to Pacific Mall (Asian Mall north of Toronto) to buy Japanese video games, play their Japanese arcade and eat Asian-cuisine food but that's it. I also lived near Eaton's Centre (in downtown Toronto) which is the highest traffic mall in North America, so obviously it was always fun going there. Those two malls are very unique I feel like if I lived near any other kind of mall, I would have never bothered with them.

Yeah more or less. It started fading around my early teen years, so I remember the trend being cool more when I was a kid in the early to mid '00s but even in my early teen years the trend lingered on. But around 2009 and when the 2010s came along, it stopped being cool and everyone wanted to stay at home and go on Facebook and stuff.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/18 at 7:12 am

I guess when you get to be a certain age, your interest in going to the mall doesn't seem as interesting.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/18 at 7:14 am

Now with computers and smartphones, who needs to go the mall when you can buy on-line.

Written By: ofkx on 06/12/18 at 4:10 pm

You have to pretty obsessed with shopping to sneak out of your house just to go to the mall :o. Has the mall ever really been cool though?

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/18 at 6:21 pm

I'm at the mall now! Got some hot shorts!

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/18 at 9:21 pm

I'm at the mall now! Got some hot shorts!

I've already been to the mall...

AND IT SUCKED!!!

fPDl2g8Upvk

5:09 to 5:17

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/12/18 at 9:51 pm

AND IT SUCKED!!!

fPDl2g8Upvk

5:09 to 5:17
Which reminds me lP_BsSUXGx8

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/18 at 10:32 pm

You have to pretty obsessed with shopping to sneak out of your house just to go to the mall :o. Has the mall ever really been cool though?

It wasn't about shopping, the mall was a cool hangout place. It was a place friends can meet up even if they don't shop. Of course it's been cool. All the kids loved the mall when I grew up and many snuck out to hang out there too.

Written By: annimal on 06/12/18 at 10:55 pm

Our mall turned into a place for teens to waste money

Written By: APDCR1990 on 06/13/18 at 11:48 am

I'd say indoor malls have definitely died down, except for ones that are particularly "special" to certain towns or cities. Outdoor/mixed use/town-center malls, which were becoming incredibly popular from the late 90's on-wards, are also feeling the pinch from online retailers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/18 at 12:01 pm

In the UK, it is a different story from above. The "indoor" mall are thriving, busy with people.

I was at my local mall yesterday, but was too early for the stores to be open, all I could do was have a cup of coffee in one of the various food halls. I chose to shop elsewhere about a mile away, knowing that the shop will be already open.

Written By: annimal on 06/13/18 at 12:06 pm

our mall was indoor.  All the good stores gone and a bunch of added crud ended up outside

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/18 at 12:12 pm

In the UK, it is a different story from above. The "indoor" mall are thriving, busy with people.

I was at my local mall yesterday, but was too early for the stores to be open, all I could do was have a cup of coffee in one of the various food halls. I chose to shop elsewhere about a mile away, knowing that the shop will be already open.

Maybe mall culture is making a comeback.

Written By: annimal on 06/13/18 at 12:19 pm

that would be cool.  There's a bus that stops at a stop right by our house that goes to the mall.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/18 at 12:21 pm

Maybe mall culture is making a comeback.
Mall culture has never disappeared!

Written By: Howard on 06/13/18 at 2:33 pm

I guess, at one time it used to be cool to go to the mall.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/18 at 2:35 pm

I'd say indoor malls have definitely died down, except for ones that are particularly "special" to certain towns or cities. Outdoor/mixed use/town-center malls, which were becoming incredibly popular from the late 90's on-wards, are also feeling the pinch from online retailers.

Where I live, the Queens Center Mall is still booming.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/18 at 2:40 pm

Where I live, the Queens Center Mall is still booming.
Even south London is due for a new mall, expected to be the biggest in Europe.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/18 at 8:16 pm

Yeah it has. You'd have to be a teen in the 2000s to understand it but even in the 1990s it was the hip place to be at.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/13/18 at 8:57 pm

As a teenager of the 2010's, I agree. Mall culture is still relevant where I'm at, and a lot of people in my school still go to the mall for fun.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/13/18 at 9:44 pm

As a teenager of the 2010's, I agree. Mall culture is still relevant where I'm at, and a lot of people in my school still go to the mall for fun.

Me too.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/18 at 9:50 pm

Like I said, it may be a comeback. It certainly is not anything like it was in the 1990s and 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/18 at 10:35 pm

Even south London is due for a new mall, expected to be the biggest in Europe.

The malls near me are constantly expanding.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/13/18 at 11:55 pm

https://i.gifer.com/UnoG.gif

Written By: Howard on 06/14/18 at 5:24 am

Yeah it has. You'd have to be a teen in the 2000s to understand it but even in the 1990s it was the hip place to be at.

Do you still people going to malls now or has it slowed down a little? ???

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/14/18 at 6:51 am

This is mostly an American phenomenon as others have mentioned, as even Canada and the UK still have mall culture that's strong. Only in November/December are malls as crowded now as they used to be the rest of the year in general. June/July has always been a low point for mall traffic due to the warm weather, vacations, most people having picked out their summer wardrobe, no big holidays, and before the back-to-school shopping season reaches its frenzy, even in their "prime". Americans prefer either a more main street-type shopping scene, big box retailers, or simply shopping online. Of course, the hardest hit malls are those that aren't in large metropolitan areas, located on the outskirts of them, or are in a place surrounded by car-oriented, low density development. Another factor is that Americans prefer more service and experience-type businesses, which is why malls with movies, an arcade/bar, restaurants, personal care/health, clinics, gyms, spas, and financial business are found in them, usually in more upwardly mobile areas, as opposed to those filled with shoe stores, apparel, sporting goods, and tacky gift shops.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/14/18 at 7:57 am

Do you still people going to malls now or has it slowed down a little? ???

It has slowed down a bit due to online ordering and stuff.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 06/14/18 at 6:54 pm

Mall culture never really ended here, you would still go to the mall with your friends and see a ton of people from school even still in 2017. In fact the mall near me have just announced plans for $700 million+ expansions.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/18 at 7:34 am

It has slowed down a bit due to online ordering and stuff.

I'd rather spend time at home ordering stuff I need around the house from the computer than to spend time at an overcrowded mall.

Written By: annimal on 06/15/18 at 10:30 am

me too.  You can find more computer shopping

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/18 at 1:12 pm

My little sister went to the mall with her friends. They're wannabe 2000s teens. Everyone knows teenagers stopped going to the mall the second I was no longer a teenager.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/15/18 at 1:32 pm

My little sister went to the mall with her friends. They're wannabe 2000s teens. Everyone knows teenagers stopped going to the mall the second I was no longer a teenager.
So on Febuary 2013 is when everyone stopped going to the mall. lol.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/18 at 2:04 pm

So on Febuary 2013 is when everyone stopped going to the mall. lol.

people stopped going to the mall when they knew they can order online and get everything sent to their homes on their doorstep.

Written By: annimal on 06/15/18 at 2:34 pm

Why go to stores and not find anything you're looking for?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/15/18 at 4:42 pm

people stopped going to the mall when they knew they can order online and get everything sent to their homes on their doorstep.

Yup. Around the late 2000s more or less.

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/18 at 4:54 pm

Why go to stores and not find anything you're looking for?

That's the feeling I got after the past 60-70% of my recent shopping expeditions  :(

Written By: mqg96 on 06/15/18 at 5:01 pm

Malls have still been lit for Food Courts over the past several years, but since UberEats is on the rise now maybe that'll start declining too and malls will start to decline even more. Here's what I do know for sure, NONE of the malls around Atlanta are going to close down anytime soon. 

Written By: Slim95 on 06/16/18 at 1:28 am

Malls have still been lit for Food Courts over the past several years, but since UberEats is on the rise now maybe that'll start declining too and malls will start to decline even more. Here's what I do know for sure, NONE of the malls around Atlanta are going to close down anytime soon.

None of them are closing down, it's just not as big of a part of teen culture as it was in the '00s.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/18 at 3:07 pm

Yup. Around the late 2000s more or less.

The mall I think now became a hangout for the millennials, Us older folks just order stuff online from home on our computer.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/16/18 at 3:30 pm

The mall I think now became a hangout for the millennials, Us older folks just order stuff online from home on our computer.

Even that has been declining a bit.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/18 at 3:54 pm

None of them are closing down, it's just not as big of a part of teen culture as it was in the '00s.

True. Without food courts or movie theaters I probably wouldn't step inside a mall now. There's even a Dave & Busters inside one of our malls too.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/18 at 4:00 pm

Even that has been declining a bit.

My Father is a part of Jet and Amazon and he buys our household products online, whether it be bars of soap, shampoo, deodorants or body washes.

Written By: annimal on 06/16/18 at 4:00 pm

last time I remember stopping at the my mall,  there were all these clothes shops.

Written By: 2001 on 06/29/18 at 12:10 pm

Holeee crap! I'm at a mall near my house that I haven't been to since 2015. I thought for sure this mall would be dead in a couple of years since its anchor store Target went out of business in Canada. But now it's got an H&M, Hudson's Bay, Starbucks SportsChek, Roots, Aldo, and tons of other stuff. The mall has expanded twice in size :o Last time I went it smelt like old people because there were old people playing cards at the food court. Now there's millennials there looking down at their phones, and the bike parking was FULL. This along with the heatwave that's happening right now must be signs of 2020s culture.

Written By: John Titor on 06/29/18 at 12:32 pm

Holeee crap! I'm at a mall near my house that I haven't been to since 2015. I thought for sure this mall would be dead in a couple of years since its anchor store Target went out of business in Canada. But now it's got an H&M, Hudson's Bay, Starbucks SportsChek, Roots, Aldo, and tons of other stuff. The mall has expanded twice in size :o Last time I went it smelt like old people because there were old people playing cards at the food court. Now there's millennials there looking down at their phones, and the bike parking was FULL. This along with the heatwave that's happening right now must be signs of 2020s culture.

Mall comeback in 2020s?

Written By: Howard on 06/29/18 at 3:40 pm

Mall comeback in 2020s?

I think malls want to pertain to the younger generation now.

Written By: annimal on 06/29/18 at 4:34 pm

like teenagers?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/18 at 5:24 am

like teenagers?
Any age?

I still keep going to my local mall.

Written By: annimal on 06/30/18 at 12:13 pm

well ours sucks now

Written By: Howard on 06/30/18 at 2:42 pm

Any age?

I still keep going to my local mall.

I haven't been to the mall in years.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/18 at 4:48 pm

I haven't been to the mall in years.

Why not? I still get all my clothes from the mall.

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/18 at 7:28 pm

Malls are declining, Toys R Us closed.  Geez.  Does anyone in the US ever leave their house anymore?

I went to the mall today and I was at Toys R Us yesterday

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/18 at 7:36 pm

Malls are not as active as they were before this decade due to the increase in online shopping.

End of discussion.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/18 at 5:20 am

Why not? I still get all my clothes from the mall.

My Father And I shop online sometimes, It's just that I don't like walking around many malls like I used to anymore.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/18 at 5:21 am

Malls are declining, Toys R Us closed.  Geez.  Does anyone in the US ever leave their house anymore?

I went to the mall today and I was at Toys R Us yesterday

How was it?

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/18 at 4:15 pm

Malls are not as active as they were before this decade due to the increase in online shopping.

End of discussion.

You left out two important variables which are population growth, economic (wage) growth. Services offered at the mall that can't be offered online such as nail salons or a doctor's office can also increase foot traffic.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/18 at 5:13 am

You left out two important variables which are population growth, economic (wage) growth. Services offered at the mall that can't be offered online such as nail salons or a doctor's office can also increase foot traffic.

Well, you can order nail salon products.

Written By: 2001 on 07/22/18 at 6:59 am

I went to the mall yesterday and after going to Nordstrom I realized I was a poor. That's why I went to Uniqlo instead.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/18 at 2:07 pm

I went to the mall yesterday and after going to Nordstrom I realized I was a poor. That's why I went to Uniqlo instead.

What did you get there?

Written By: 2001 on 07/22/18 at 2:23 pm

What did you get there?

A green/orange coat and mustard jeans to match the coming fall colours. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/22/18 at 2:37 pm

A green/orange coat and mustard jeans to match the coming fall colours. :)

Why don't you get them online instead?

Written By: 2001 on 07/22/18 at 2:49 pm

Why don't you get them online instead?

I was watching a baseball game with my friends and we decided to hang out at the mall afterwards.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/18 at 3:10 pm

I hate going to the mall. 

Written By: 2001 on 07/22/18 at 9:30 pm

I like going to the  tech stores.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/22/18 at 10:38 pm

As long as Ulta and Forever 21 have their doors open I will be there.
And Charley's Philly cheesesteaks, I will EAT there.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/18 at 5:41 am

I rarely go to the mall myself now that My Father And I shop online.

Written By: 2001 on 11/02/18 at 9:51 pm

November 2018 Mall Update: They opened a Chipotle in the food court

FEcRZFZERCg

They also opened a Uniqlo (where I got two wool sweaters from), and many other high end stores. American Eagle is OVER. In general, all the high end stores are kicking out the bargain bin stores. We're living in boom times, I guess.

Previous updates I forgot to add

Late September 2018 update: Nordstrom opened up. It was so crowded UGH. I can't think straight with screaming babies running around. I bought a nice autumn jacket from Calvin Klein and some gym clothes from Under Armour (don't judge me)

Early September 2018: I went to a mall in Manchester, England called intu Trafford Centre. British fashion is way different than Canadian fashion. They wear classy, fitted clothes, not the "casual" (ugly) baggy clothes Canadians wear. No offence lol. Main thing I noticed about British malls is that teens/young adults actually hang out there. Groups of friends and people going on dates. In Canada malls are usually dominated by us 25-34 year olds - young enough to be fashion conscious and old enough to have wads of cash. ;D But in general the UK is a much more extroverted country than Canada. Better work life balance and people living in crowded cities nearby instead of in suburbs far apart = more time to hang out with friends.

Late August 2018: Went to Manchester Arndale while I was still in Manchester. Athleisure is 10x more popular in the UK than in Canada, which is weird because the Brits are slightly chubbier than Canadians from what I noticed lol. Dark blue, black and grey and other "metro" colours seem to be the uniform of Brits. Rare to see colours outside of those. I think North Americans dress more colourfully. I liked the store "Next". I bet it's considered a chav store since it's so cheap, but what do North Americans know LOL. Tbh, while British fashion looks nice, I don't do athleisure.

Early August 2018: I didn't intend to go to the mall but that's where I met up with someone to buy something off Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). Went to H&M to kill time. They had these to-die-for mustard jeans. But they only came in... Straight fits

pNqN2xeUaxo

Skinny jeans or bust. No wonder H&M is in decline.

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 12:44 pm

The suburban malls that have bad traffic are being killed

Written By: Howard on 11/03/18 at 3:17 pm

The suburban malls that have bad traffic are being killed

So what will be replacing them?

Written By: John Titor on 11/03/18 at 3:47 pm

So what will be replacing them?

open mall centers or office buildings, or parking space

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/05/18 at 1:05 pm

I used to love going to the mall.  But now, it's hard to find what I'm looking for in a store.  Synthetics.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/18 at 9:20 am

And this is why people shop online so they never have to be around crowds of people.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/18 at 5:37 am

And this is why people shop online so they never have to be around crowds of people.
So what happens if the product is faulty?

Written By: John Titor on 11/07/18 at 1:41 pm

So what happens if the product is faulty?

send it back

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/18 at 1:46 pm

send it back
Who pays for the postage?

Written By: Howard on 11/07/18 at 3:07 pm

Who pays for the postage?

My guess is that you do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/18 at 4:57 pm

My guess is that you do.
If purchased in a store, take back to the same store. No postal charges involved.

Written By: 2001 on 11/11/18 at 10:25 am

My city has a large Chinese population, so Singles' Day has replaced Rememberance Day. I'm off to the mall to celebrate, the sales are crazy!

Written By: Howard on 11/11/18 at 1:50 pm

My city has a large Chinese population, so Singles' Day has replaced Rememberance Day. I'm off to the mall to celebrate, the sales are crazy!

What are you going to buy? ???

Written By: 2001 on 11/11/18 at 2:25 pm

What are you going to buy? ???

Shoes, and some winter gear (gloves, hats, scarves etc.)

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/12/18 at 1:02 pm

Did Mike Oilwells proclaim anything about malls in his speech?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/18 at 9:58 am

The mall I visited over the last weekend was packed out, far to busy for my liking, so I left very quickly.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/18 at 3:16 pm

The mall I visited over the last weekend was packed out, far to busy for my liking, so I left very quickly.

probably getting ready for The Christmas holiday in a month.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/18 at 3:17 pm

probably getting ready for The Christmas holiday in a month.
Last year it was very busy on Black Friday.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/18 at 3:48 pm

Last year it was very busy on Black Friday.

I'll avoid Black Friday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/18 at 3:49 pm

I'll avoid Black Friday.
I will this year!

Written By: 2001 on 11/20/18 at 8:55 pm

When you have a Black Friday coupon on the Tuesday before Black Friday w h e w.

Also the Chipotle at the mall is still there.

FEcRZFZERCg

And Forever 21 selling cotton Christmas sweaters

FEcRZFZERCg

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 11/21/18 at 3:28 am

I still see loads of ppl at my local mall :)

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/21/18 at 11:54 am

I can't believe tomorrow night is Thanksgiving!

Written By: Howard on 11/21/18 at 2:06 pm

I still see loads of ppl at my local mall :)

Has it been busy?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/18 at 2:07 pm

Has it been busy?
I will be avoiding my mall tomorrow, it was hectic last year.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/18 at 2:33 pm

I will be avoiding my mall tomorrow, it was hectic last year.

https://cdn.icepop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/skidmorenews-com-e1542281665473.jpg

Now this is what I call hectic!  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/18 at 2:34 pm

https://cdn.icepop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/skidmorenews-com-e1542281665473.jpg

Now this is what I call hectic!  :o
Not quite that bad here...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/18 at 6:51 am

Has it been busy?
Went to a different mall today, and that was busy!

Written By: Howard on 11/22/18 at 7:33 am

Went to a different mall today, and that was busy!

Is your mall doing Black Friday?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/18 at 7:44 am

Is your mall doing Black Friday?
It is now naturally assumed to be yes, the UK has caught the fever.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/18 at 1:22 pm

It is now naturally assumed to be yes, the UK has caught the fever.

So you're going to join in the mass?

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/18 at 8:13 am

I went to a Chinese mall yesterday. It was really nice and beautiful, and the mall food was delicious for once! They wouldn't deign to put something foul like Chipotle in there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/18 at 8:25 am

So you're going to join in the mass?
I stay away when the malls are busy.

I was in one yesterday, just walking as a shortcut, there were people there shopping, but not too many, and not only that the mall had changed it's name!

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/17/18 at 8:26 am

Ever since Stop N Shop went out of business and closed all their locations, people have gone back to the malls in droves for their groceries.  Sometimes it has been beneficial and saved a lot of money!  Stop N Shop has a rip off who robbed everyone.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/18 at 2:34 pm

Ever since Stop N Shop went out of business and closed all their locations, people have gone back to the malls in droves for their groceries.  Sometimes it has been beneficial and saved a lot of money!  Stop N Shop has a rip off who robbed everyone.

Could you get out of here and stop posting false statements!  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/18 at 3:43 am

I stay away when the malls are busy.

I was in one yesterday, just walking as a shortcut, there were people there shopping, but not too many, and not only that the mall had changed it's name!
That day, I was tempted to buy something as a present for a relative, but it only meant I would be carrying it around for the rest of the day.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/18 at 5:13 am

I went to the mall last weekend, the second last weekend before Christmas. Chaotic, but not as bad as I expected tbh.

Now if you don't mind, I've got early Boxing Day coupons to spend!  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/18 at 5:14 am

I went to the mall last weekend, the second last weekend before Christmas. Chaotic, but not as bad as I expected tbh.

Now if you don't mind, I've got early Boxing Day coupons to spend!  8)
Good luck with that, I hope you get what you need?

Written By: Howard on 12/19/18 at 6:58 am

That day, I was tempted to buy something as a present for a relative, but it only meant I would be carrying it around for the rest of the day.

You didn't have bags?

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/19/18 at 8:33 am

Could you get out of here and stop posting false statements!  >:(

That was REALLY mean. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/18 at 9:55 am

You didn't have bags?
I had a bag folded up in my pocket, I di dnot want to be carrying the purchased items around with me for the rest of the day.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/18 at 1:42 pm

That was REALLY mean.

FYI, Stop N Shop is not out of business, it's doing very well BTW.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/18 at 1:58 pm

No doubt it is, with the holiday season upon us?

Written By: Howard on 12/19/18 at 2:07 pm

No doubt it is, with the holiday season upon us?

Yes, and they're going to be busy on Christmas.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/19/18 at 2:18 pm

Everything is offensive to Sir Billzy.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/19/18 at 3:11 pm

Yes, and they're going to be busy on Christmas.

Sadly, this is their last Christmas, as bankruptcy has forced them to close their doors as of Jan 1, 2019.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/18 at 7:00 am

Sadly, this is their last Christmas, as bankruptcy has forced them to close their doors as of Jan 1, 2019.

Just STOP IT please!  ::)

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/20/18 at 7:02 am

Just STOP IT please!  ::)

Don't worry, Howie.  I'll be gone soon.

Written By: John Titor on 12/26/18 at 11:29 am

Don't worry, Howie.  I'll be gone soon.
:D

Written By: Howard on 12/26/18 at 2:25 pm

Are people still going to the mall?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 12/26/18 at 2:39 pm

Has it been busy?

Yes, especially on Christmas eve! :) Still see a lot of young teenagers there as well with skateboards/bicycles etc.

Written By: 2001 on 12/26/18 at 2:41 pm

Are people still going to the mall?

I'm shopping online this Boxing Day. Flu season!

Written By: Howard on 12/26/18 at 2:45 pm

Yes, especially on Christmas eve! :) Still see a lot of young teenagers there as well with skateboards/bicycles etc.

That's pretty much the majority of the people going to malls now.

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/19 at 7:51 pm

My mall is becoming too upscale and I hate it. 85% cotton/15% rayon sweaters going for $80 smh.

Uniqlo is my new home. I saw a muscular, tall guy there trying on a tight navy blue sweater 😍

Written By: 2012emo on 02/19/19 at 1:30 pm

people still go to the mall to shop and stuff, but i think the whole hanging out at the mall after school thing doesn't really happen anymore?
like i go to the mall with my friends to shop, but we rarely go to just hang out.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/19 at 2:35 pm

people still go to the mall to shop and stuff, but i think the whole hanging out at the mall after school thing doesn't really happen anymore?
like i go to the mall with my friends to shop, but we rarely go to just hang out.

The majority of most people just shop online nowadays.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/19 at 3:36 pm

The majority of most people just shop online nowadays.
Yes, most people do, but still go to the mall to get the feel of the item.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/19 at 2:49 pm

Yes, most people do, but still go to the mall to get the feel of the item.

Yes, you got that right, most people just want to walk around and view certain stores.

Written By: floppy on 02/20/19 at 8:27 pm

My mall is to crowded at some times!

Written By: Howard on 02/21/19 at 7:28 am

My mall is to crowded at some times!

At what times is it less crowded?

Written By: floppy on 02/21/19 at 8:24 am

At what times is it less crowded?

Monday-Friday early in the day

Written By: Howard on 02/21/19 at 4:21 pm

Do you go around those days?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/19 at 1:26 pm

Just when the doors are first opened.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/19 at 2:52 pm

Just when the doors are first opened.

It easier to do shopping when they first open up.

Written By: February2002 on 03/01/19 at 8:45 pm

45 malls closed over the last 2 months

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/19 at 12:12 am

45 malls closed over the last 2 months
Where are these closed malls, here in London, it has only been one.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/19 at 2:18 pm

As far as I know, Queens Mall is still open for business.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/19 at 11:05 am

...and is being converted into flats, hopefully the cinema will be retained.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/19 at 2:26 pm

But why after 2008?

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/19 at 12:07 pm

I went to the mall yesterday, actually. I didn't buy anything though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 12:09 pm

But why after 2008?
Good question, I think the OP answers in the original posting.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/27/19 at 12:27 pm

The most recent mall to open in my city was in 2013 and it’s doing pretty well as far as I can tell. It’s located in the city centre though rather than the middle of a suburb.

https://www.drapersonline.com/pictures/2000x2000fit/5/0/4/1326504_Trinity-Leeds.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 12:31 pm

There is to be built in south of London in the Croydon area a huge Westfield, of which London has already two Westfields, and both are doing good business.

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/27/19 at 12:33 pm

There is to be built in south of London in the Croydon area a huge Westfield, of which London has already two Westfields, and both are doing good business.

I’ve been to Westfield at White City. It’s very busy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 12:34 pm

Yes indeed, it is always busy, I have never seen not so.

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/27/19 at 1:00 pm

Funny, the Eaton Centre in Toronto still gets many people coming in and out. The only difference is they are usually on their phones, but for the most part, things haven't changed besides that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 1:11 pm

It even opens early for the coffee drinkers.

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/19 at 2:52 pm

Funny, the Eaton Centre in Toronto still gets many people coming in and out. The only difference is they are usually on their phones, but for the most part, things haven't changed besides that.

I was just there yesterday :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 3:17 pm

The Westfield in Startford, had a true boost to the opening having been located next to the Olympic Stadium.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/19 at 4:59 pm

It was in 2008, when UK High street chain Woolworths announced it would stop selling CD singles in its stores saying that the format was in "terminal decline" and would be removed from the shelves from August. Sales of CD singles had fallen sharply as the popularity of downloading music from the internet had increased.

May be the same happen to some stores in the malls?

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/27/19 at 7:22 pm

It was in 2008, when UK High street chain Woolworths announced it would stop selling CD singles in its stores saying that the format was in "terminal decline" and would be removed from the shelves from August. Sales of CD singles had fallen sharply as the popularity of downloading music from the internet had increased.

May be the same happen to some stores in the malls?

It was a shortsighted move as CD sales in the UK remained above digital downloads until 2012.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/19 at 2:43 pm

I went to the mall yesterday, actually. I didn't buy anything though.

Was it busy?

Written By: 2001 on 05/28/19 at 3:03 pm

Was it busy?

Nope. It was Sunday evening.

Written By: rapplepop on 06/01/19 at 9:05 pm

In America that sounds about right. In Asia, and in Canada, malls are still going very well, maybe even better than ever. But yes, in America the mall's heyday was the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/19 at 2:39 pm

In America that sounds about right. In Asia, and in Canada, malls are still going very well, maybe even better than ever. But yes, in America the mall's heyday was the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

Now people rarely go to the mall, most shop online.

Written By: 2001 on 06/02/19 at 3:55 pm

Are you Canadian?

Written By: rapplepop on 06/02/19 at 6:57 pm

Are you Canadian?

No but I've traveled there and was pleasantly surprised at the state of malls there. At least Metrotown in Vancouver and Eaton Centre in Toronto.

Written By: 2001 on 06/06/19 at 5:31 pm

I went to the mall today and to see the rainbow flags everywhere was beautiful. Blessed to be alive in 2019 😇

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 11:10 pm

With the current wet weather we are having, I may end up in a shopping mall today, I do need to check on one thing before I think about purchasing it.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/19 at 11:28 pm

With the current wet weather we are having, I may end up in a shopping mall today, I do need to check on one thing before I think about purchasing it.

Let us know if people really stopped going to the mall in 2008.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 11:30 pm

Let us know if people really stopped going to the mall in 2008.  ;D
In fact the shopping mall I hope to go to opened in 2008.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/19 at 5:30 am

In fact the shopping mall I hope to go to opened in 2008.

Was it busy?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 5:36 am

Was it busy?
Oh yes, I went on the opening day, busy with people window shopping, hoping for bargains, and no bargains could be found.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/19 at 6:04 am

When I had my period of being offline recently, I went to three different shopping malls, and all three were extremely busy!

Written By: Howard on 09/13/19 at 7:29 am

When I had my period of being offline recently, I went to three different shopping malls, and all three were extremely busy!

Must have been getting ready for the school season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/19 at 7:34 am

Yes indeed, and treats that come with those excursions?

Written By: Howard on 09/13/19 at 1:36 pm

Yes indeed, and treats that come with those excursions?

and plus you have Halloween just around the corner.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/19 at 1:40 pm

and plus you have Halloween just around the corner.
Plastic pumpkins everywhere! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/halloween/grin.gif

Written By: Howard on 09/13/19 at 1:57 pm

Plastic pumpkins everywhere! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/halloween/grin.gif

and Autumn decorations too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/19 at 1:59 pm

and Autumn decorations too.
I will just let Halloween pass me by.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/13/19 at 2:08 pm

Really ? I guess that’s true. I remember  a lot of my friends and I would go to the malls in middle school (2008) and we’d hang in the food court or go to Hot Topic A LOT (since scene/emo culture  was in) and even try to sneak into Spencer’s lmao....By then sam goody and tower records were no longer a thing anymore and blockbuster was declining in popularity:( those stores were more of a childhood experience rather than an adolescent experience for me unfortunately.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/19 at 2:55 pm

There is another mall across to the other side of London that is usually busier than the one I usual go to.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/19 at 2:44 pm

There is another mall across to the other side of London that is usually busier than the one I usual go to.

Is it slow on some days? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/19 at 2:51 pm

Is it slow on some days? ???
The best way to describe it, certain slow first thing in morning, and it picks up through the day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/19 at 2:54 pm

I was in my local mall this morning, and there were children every where but I think there was a family fun day happening today.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/19 at 7:30 am

The best way to describe it, certain slow first thing in morning, and it picks up through the day.

Just like a supermarket.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/19 at 12:20 pm

Just like a supermarket.
...or any department store?

Written By: Howard on 09/15/19 at 1:44 pm

...or any department store?

quiet in the morning then it picks up later in the day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/19 at 4:35 pm

Such as life?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/20 at 5:17 am

It is quiet every day now till the virus passes over.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/20 at 3:02 pm

It is quiet every day now till the virus passes over.

I wonder if the malls have re-opened yet? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/21 at 1:40 pm

I wonder if the malls have re-opened yet? ???
I was in my local mall about three weeks ago, I was in and out like a shot!

Written By: Howard on 06/23/21 at 3:13 pm

I was in my local mall about three weeks ago, I was in and out like a shot!

The thing is you just want to do what you need to do and then leave, trying not to spend too much time there.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/23/21 at 3:35 pm

Our main shopping center/mall is open. I have not been to it since 2019. I want to but I'm still concerned. I should be ok with a face mask I guess. I really don't have a reason to go to the mall anyway. I can just go to Walmart to buy gifts. The only thing I miss about the mall is the clothing. I would much rather buy them at Macy's than at Walmart. They're more expensive at Macy's but that's a good thing! It means I get better quality clothing. Still, I won't be going to the mall anytime soon. I just get my clothing from a catalog, which is also expensive.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/21 at 3:07 pm

But why 2008?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/21 at 3:23 pm

But why 2008?  ???

Written By: JimiBoy04 on 08/30/21 at 10:24 pm

This is true. I always felt like people stopped going to the mall around that time. I remember going to the mall as a 3 year old in 2007 to buy my first Gamecube, lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/21 at 6:16 am

I was due to go to the mall today,
Buy good, with find and seek,
I now don't feel up to it,
So I will try and go next week.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/21 at 7:01 am

This is true. I always felt like people stopped going to the mall around that time. I remember going to the mall as a 3 year old in 2007 to buy my first Gamecube, lol.

I can remember going to the mall In The 80's and 90's but today people are shopping more online cause of the convenience.

Check for new replies or respond here...