inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A trend in the '00s I don't miss: Straight-to-DVD B-sequels of '90s classics

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/17 at 11:22 pm

Of course these are still being made, but they don't seem to get as much exposure as they did in the '00s.  The following movies are the kind of thing I am talking about.

Beethoven's Big Break
The Sandlot 2
Son Of The Mask
Dumb and Dumberer
Home Alone: Taking Back The House
Joy Ride 2

They use different actors, a poorly written script, and capitalize on the marketing of the original to make people think its a real sequel.  It's a shame this is still being done at all, but at least there aren't quite as many as there was in the '00s.

Subject: Re: A trend in the '00s I don't miss: Straight-to-DVD B-sequels of '90s classics

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 11:25 pm

Yeah, I disliked them as well (still do). I don't know why they even make them.

Subject: Re: A trend in the '00s I don't miss: Straight-to-DVD B-sequels of '90s classics

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/13/17 at 12:04 pm

Of course these are still being made, but they don't seem to get as much exposure as they did in the '00s.  The following movies are the kind of thing I am talking about.

Beethoven's Big Break
The Sandlot 2
Son Of The Mask
Dumb and Dumberer
Home Alone: Taking Back The House
Joy Ride 2

They use different actors, a poorly written script, and capitalize on the marketing of the original to make people think its a real sequel.  It's a shame this is still being done at all, but at least there aren't quite as many as there was in the '00s.

Oh yeah, those were terrible. Especially The Sandlot 2. I remember that I was just getting into '90s nostalgia around the time that movie came out, and the fact that it even existed made me angry. >:(

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/13/17 at 12:07 pm

One thing I hated with a burning passion were those direct to Video/DVD sequels of Disney classics. Most of the time they were just shadows of their originals (I'm looking at you Pocahontas 2 >:(). Rarely was a sequel good (I thought Lion King 2 was good, but nothing grand).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 12:08 pm

Oh yeah, those were terrible. Especially The Sandlot 2. I remember that I was just getting into '90s nostalgia around the time that movie came out, and the fact that it even existed made me angry. >:(

They make me angry as well.

Also, you got into '90s nostalgia in 2005? Wasn't that a bit too early?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 12:09 pm

One thing I hated with a burning passion were those direct to Video/DVD sequels of Disney classics. Most of the time they were just shadows of their originals (I'm looking at you Pocahontas 2 >:(). Rarely was a sequel good (I thought Lion King 2 was good, but nothing grand).

I didn't even know of The Lion King 2 until a few months ago...:(.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/13/17 at 12:12 pm

I didn't even know of The Lion King 2 until a few months ago...:(.

LOL. It was a pretty good movie, but not as good as the original. Now one movie that surprisingly I liked as a kid, but detest now as an adult is Lion King 1 1/2. That was horrendously bad..

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 12:15 pm

LOL. It was a pretty good movie, but not as good as the original. Now one movie that surprisingly I liked as a kid, but detest now as an adult is Lion King 1 1/2. That was horrendously bad..

There's a The Lion King 1½? :o :o :o. I just searched it up and it actually has higher ratings than The Lion King II: Simba's Pride....:P.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/13/17 at 12:15 pm

Also, you got into '90s nostalgia in 2005? Wasn't that a bit too early?

I got into '90s nostalgia several years before it really started becoming "mainstream". '80s nostalgia was really big at the time, but since I really had no memory of the '80s, I started focusing more on my own childhood years.

As I've said, my '90s nostalgia started in February 2005 when I found a blank tape filled with a bunch of Fox Kids stuff I recorded in 1994. It was the first time I'd seen that tape in years, and it made me very nostalgic for being in 1st-2nd grade, even though I was only 17 at the time. It was actually what led me to this website. 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 12:19 pm

I got into '90s nostalgia several years before it really started becoming "mainstream". '80s nostalgia was really big at the time, but since I really had no memory of the '80s, I started focusing more on my own childhood years.

As I've said, my '90s nostalgia started in February 2005 when I found a blank tape filled with a bunch of Fox Kids stuff I recorded in 1994. It was the first time I'd seen that tape in years, and it made me very nostalgic for being in 1st-2nd grade, even though I was only 17 at the time. It was actually what led me to this website. 8)

Oh yeah, I remember you saying that. 2005 still seems a bit early but I can't blame you. I got into 2000s nostalgia in 2012 when I was 13.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/13/17 at 1:12 pm

I think I find it as a guilty pleasure for me. Especially since I own a couple Disney straight-to-DVD sequels during my childhood (specifically The Hunchback of Notre Dame II and Lilo & Stitch 2).

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/13/17 at 3:55 pm

Now one movie that surprisingly I liked as a kid, but detest now as an adult is Lion King 1 1/2. That was horrendously bad..

Haha! I remember that, I liked it too back then a lot as well but now.... no. lol

Written By: bchris02 on 04/13/17 at 4:04 pm

I never saw that one, but the Lion King 2: Simba's Pride wasn't that bad.  It was a masterpiece compared the Lion King 1 1/2.

Written By: 2001 on 04/13/17 at 10:28 pm

I love Lion King 2! It being bad is the second biggest lie in history.  :-X

The biggest lie in history is, of course, that the Aladdin sequels are bad.  They're masterpieces! >:(

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/13/17 at 10:38 pm

The biggest lie in history is, of course, that the Aladdin sequels are bad.  They're masterpieces! >:(

King of Thieves is great yes.

Return of Jafar, no thanks.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/13/17 at 10:39 pm

The Sandlot 2 essentially had the same storyline as the original film, except that the film was set in 1972 (instead of 1962) and a new set of characters were introduced, however they were heavily based off the original set of characters. The original movie was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid and in all honesty, I liked The Sandlot 2 almost just as much as the first film. However, with that said, the ending of The Sandlot 2 was a bit ridiculous. I mean, it was revealed that Tarquel had been abducted by aliens and was never heard from again. Talk about far-fetched. :P

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/13/17 at 10:41 pm

Yeah, I would always cringe whenever I saw commercials for all those Straight-to-DVD sequels. Some of the worst offenders in my opinion, were the Little Mermaid 2, Stuart Little 3, Home Alone 3 and 4, and the Land Before Time sequels (to be fair, even the sequels that came out in the mid-late 90s were horrible, but the ones from the 00s onwards were/are even worse.)  just to name a few.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/13/17 at 10:42 pm

Agree 100%

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/13/17 at 10:43 pm

Yeah, I would always cringe whenever I saw a commercial for those sequels. Some of the worst offenders in my opinion, were the Little Mermaid 2, Stuart Little 3, Home Alone 3 and 4, and the Land Before Time sequels (to be fair, even the sequels that came out in the mid-late 90s were horrible, but the ones from the 00s onwards were/are even worse.)  just to name a few.

I actually liked Stuart Little 3 and the mid-late 90s Land Before Time sequels when I was a kid.  :-[

Written By: 2001 on 04/13/17 at 10:43 pm

Liar like your avatar.  >:(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 10:44 pm

I haven't heard of a single movie that was just mentioned in the previous 5 comments :(.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/13/17 at 10:48 pm

I haven't heard of a single movie that was just mentioned in the previous 5 comments :(.

That's interesting to hear! In regards to one of the movies mentioned, I think very few people have actually watched Stuart Little 3. Unlike the first two films, Stuart Little 3 is entirely animated. When I have spoken to some of my friends about the movie in the past, none of them knew that a Stuart Little 3 movie even existed!

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/13/17 at 10:49 pm

I actually liked Stuart Little 3 and the mid-late 90s Land Before Time sequels when I was a kid.  :-[

That's alright. I'm actually embarrassed to admit it, but I was a fan of the Peter Pan sequel when I was a kid. I know it was technically released in theaters (in fact I actually saw it when it came out), but it might as well have been a straight-to-video/DVD sequel since it was animated by DisneyToon Studios.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 10:51 pm

That's interesting to hear! In regards to one of the movies mentioned, I think very few people have actually watched Stuart Little 3. Unlike the first two films, Stuart Little 3 is entirely animated. When I have spoken to some of my friends about the movie in the past, none of them knew that a Stuart Little 3 movie even existed!

I must be one of your friends :-\\.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/14/17 at 10:41 am

The Sandlot 2 essentially had the same storyline as the original film, except that the film was set in 1972 (instead of 1962) and a new set of characters were introduced, however they were heavily based off the original set of characters. The original movie was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid and in all honesty, I liked The Sandlot 2 almost just as much as the first film. However, with that said, the ending of The Sandlot 2 was a bit ridiculous. I mean, it was revealed that Tarquel had been abducted by aliens and was never heard from again. Talk about far-fetched. :P

Oh, i get it. If I'd been a kid in 2005 I probably would've liked The Sandlot 2 as well. Hell, I thought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II was a great movie when I was a kid, so I would never criticize someone else's taste. ;).

The main reason I had such intense hatred for The Sandlot 2 at the time was, as I said, I was just getting into '90s childhood nostalgia at the time, and I thought it was "sacrilegious" for an update of such a classic movie to be made. If I watched it today, as somebody that's far too old to care about that kind of crap anymore, I probably would take a much better view of it.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/14/17 at 6:00 pm

One way to make a terrible sequel; introduce aliens into a universe where they don't belong.

George Lucas ruined Indiana Jones this way.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/14/17 at 6:24 pm

One way to make a terrible sequel; introduce aliens into a universe where they don't belong.

I just looked up a video from Indiana Jones 4 and I thought "WTF?!", even though I never watched any of the movies before. It's just weird seeing an Indiana Jones film with aliens to be fair.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 6:31 pm

I just looked up a video from Indiana Jones 4 and I thought "WTF?!", even though I never watched any of the movies before. It's just weird seeing an Indiana Jones film with aliens to be fair.

I actually liked Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull when I was 9 :-X :-X :-X.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/14/17 at 6:36 pm

I actually liked Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull when I was 9 :-X :-X :-X.

Well, I think we enjoyed a straight-to-DVD sequel ourselves when we were young. Especially with Disney movies when I was little.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 6:41 pm

Well, I think we enjoyed a straight-to-DVD sequel ourselves when we were young. Especially with Disney movies when I was little.

I liked some of those Disney movies.

Check for new replies or respond here...