inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Console Generation characterized the 00's more?

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/12/17 at 9:48 pm

The 6th generation Gamecube/PS2/Xbox (2000-2005)?
Or the 7th generation Wii/Xbox 360/PS3 (2005-2015)?

I personally think the 6th gen is more '00s while the 7th gen, minus the Wii, is more early '10s. The 6th gen had a much longer lifespan during the duration of the previous decade than the 7th gen did.

The PS2 is infamous for having one of the longest lifespans of any game console. It launched in March of 2000 and Sony continued to support it with first party titles until around 2009 and 3rd-party support didn't stop until 2013. It even continued to outsell the PS3 in retail through the late 00s.

Even though the Xbox 360 launched in November 2005, whenever I look at lists of the most defining games of the 7th gen, the majority of games listed came out post-2010. Many big multiplatform releases still came to the 6th gen consoles in 2006 & 2007, while the 360 and PS3 didn't seem to truly hit their stride until 3-4 years after their respective launches. They similarly continued to received first and third party support until around 2015-2016.

It's also worth noting that the Wii really was just a repackaged Gamecube with motion controls. One could say the lifespan of the GCN includes the Wii. Many mutiplat PS2 releases were often shared with the Wii aswell. The Wii had the shortest lifespan of the 7th gen and pretty much stopped seeing significant releases around 2011 making it more 00's than the other two of it's generation.

Subject: Re: Which Console Generation characterized the 00's more?

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/12/17 at 10:18 pm

6th

Also, Shemp, no offense, but I'd recommend you changing your title to "Kid of the early-mid 2000s" rather than "Kid of the late 90s/early 00s". I mean, you wouldn't even remember the late 90s right? Your "core childhood" began in 2002 or 2003.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/13/17 at 2:20 am

Definitely 6th, due to the 7th generation's major overlap with the early 2010s. The 6th generation is purely 2000s, with the exception of the Sega Dreamcast's first few months.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/13/17 at 8:15 am

6th since its popularity was squarely within the 2000's. Plus the 6th gen consoles were at their peak in popularity from roughly 2003-2006, during the core years of the decade. However FWIW, the Wii despite being a 7th gen console is also pretty 'noughties' as well. Especially since it was mainly popular in the Late 00's period, unlike its competition in which they were popular in both the late 00's & early 10's. I would say in the release time period and overall relative popularity the Wii was the 2000's version of the NES. Both systems were released in the second half of their respective decades but they both were still relatively part of their respected decade's culture.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/13/17 at 8:19 am

Sup Zelda. Are your exams done, or are you still working on them? Because I've missed your insightful posts over the past few months.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/13/17 at 9:56 am

Sup Zelda. Are your exams done, or are you still working on them? Because I've missed your insightful posts over the past few months.

I've been pretty active recently bro. Btw OTT do you agree with my premise I presented?

If I had to think of the two most definitive consoles based on each decade it'd look like this:

1980's: Atari 2600 & Nintendo Entertainment System

1990's: Super Nintendo Entertainment System & Sony Playstation

2000's: Sony Playstation 2 & Nintendo Wii

2010's: (so far) Sony Playstation 4 & Nintendo Switch (there I said it!, I think the Switch will do very well)

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/13/17 at 10:10 am

I've been pretty active recently bro. Btw OTT do you agree with my premise I presented?

If I had to think of the two most definitive consoles based on each decade it'd look like this:

2010's: (so far) Sony Playstation 4 & Nintendo Switch (there I said it!, I think the Switch will do very well)

Yep.

Personally I'd go with N64 over Playstation for the 90s though.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/13/17 at 10:14 am

Yep.

Personally I'd go with N64 over Playstation for the 90s though.

Yeah the N64 was pretty definitive too. I think the Playstation was geared more towards teens/young adults while the N64 was geared towards 90's kids.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/13/17 at 11:28 am

6th

Also, Shemp, no offense, but I'd recommend you changing your title to "Kid of the early-mid 2000s" rather than "Kid of the late 90s/early 00s". I mean, you wouldn't even remember the late 90s right? Your "core childhood" began in 2002 or 2003.

My memories started in 1999. There were events that happened sometime between 1999 and early 2000 that couldn't have happened later. Everyone in my family agrees that my memories are accurate.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/13/17 at 11:40 am

6th since its popularity was squarely within the 2000's. Plus the 6th gen consoles were at their peak in popularity from roughly 2003-2006, during the core years of the decade. However FWIW, the Wii despite being a 7th gen console is also pretty 'noughties' as well. Especially since it was mainly popular in the Late 00's period, unlike its competition in which they were popular in both the late 00's & early 10's. I would say in the release time period and overall relative popularity the Wii was the 2000's version of the NES. Both systems were released in the second half of their respective decades but they both were still relatively part of their respected decade's culture.

I agree. I see the 7th gen HD twins as being the 2000's equivalent of what the Sega Dreamcast was to the late 1990's. And the 5th gen in the 90s being equal to the 6th gen in the 00's.

The PS3 launched at the end of 2006 meaning the 7th generation competition didn't really begin until 2007. The HD twins took a while to overtake the previous generation(including the Wii) and mainly received PC ports like CS and Mirror's Edge. The HD twins were the most powerful consoles the 00's ended with and took online gaming to the next level.

The Dreamcast launched into 1998 and had dozens of games made for it between 1998-1999, including contemporary PC ports like Half-Life and Unreal. Even the graphics of games like Shenmue were several steps above what the 5th gen could do. Like the HD twins of the 00's, the Dreamcast was the most powerful console of the 1990s and had advanced online gaming for the time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/13/17 at 12:03 pm

Not to sound like an echo, but I'd go with the 6th generation as well. This may have something to do with the fact that I stopped playing video games as much after 2005, but to me the overwhelming majority of the most iconic games of the 2000's (FFX, GTA III, the Jak series, the Ratchet & Clank series, the original Halo, Star Wars: KOTR, Metroid Prime, etc.) are all 6th gen games.

If you think about it, it's really a testament to the longevity of the 7th gen that, in some ways, it's more identified with the early '10s than the late '00s. The Nintendo 64 launched in 1996 and the PlayStation 3 in 2006, yet the N64 is unquestionably seen as a '90s console, whereas not many people classify the PS3 as an '00s console.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/13/17 at 12:21 pm

It's interesting that the '90s is actually the hardest decade to really say what the "definitive" console generation is for it. With the '80s it's clearly the 8-bit era, most people agree that the 6th generation defines the '00s, and it certainly appears as if the 8th gen will be heavily associated with the '10s.

But it's so difficult to choose between the 4th gen and the 5th gen when talking about the '90s. The 16-bit console war, Mario vs. Sonic, and Genesis vs. SNES are all iconic '90s things, but then again so are the transition to 3D, Crash Bandicoot, Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. I really could go either way between the 16-bit era or the 32/64-bit era defining video gaming in the '90s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/13/17 at 4:22 pm

6th since the 7th gen was more late 2000s/early 2010s. The 6th gen was more definitive towards the 2000s because they had games from the entire decade alone (2000-2009).

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/13/17 at 4:38 pm

I agree with you! 6th gen

Written By: Howard on 05/13/17 at 4:57 pm

I would have to say The 6th Generation which started playing with The PS2.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/13/17 at 7:10 pm

It's interesting that the '90s is actually the hardest decade to really say what the "definitive" console generation is for it. With the '80s it's clearly the 8-bit era, most people agree that the 6th generation defines the '00s, and it certainly appears as if the 8th gen will be heavily associated with the '10s.

But it's so difficult to choose between the 4th gen and the 5th gen when talking about the '90s. The 16-bit console war, Mario vs. Sonic, and Genesis vs. SNES are all iconic '90s things, but then again so are the transition to 3D, Crash Bandicoot, Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. I really could go either way between the 16-bit era or the 32/64-bit era defining video gaming in the '90s.

I guess if push comes to shove I'd have to lean more towards the 4th generation due to the early 90's console war being the most distinct in gaming history. On top of that some of the most iconic games in history came out in that period. However, personally i think the transition between 4th generation & 5th generation was the all time peak of not just 90's gaming, but gaming period. The era spanning from roughly 1994-1997 was probably the most kickass in gaming history with awesome games that took advantage of the easily replicable 2-D sprite technology with the (at the time) relatively new capabilities of 3-D polygons. This period thrived on innovation, during that period games like Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy 6, Super Mario 64, Resident Evil, Chrono Trigger, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, among others, were notable in using the capabilities of the 4th generation and pushing the limits, while looking into the horizon of the 3-D 5th generation era. It honestly makes me wish I was born ten years earlier to fully experience and appreciate this time in gaming history!

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/13/17 at 7:27 pm

I guess if push comes to shove I'd have to lean more towards the 4th generation due to the early 90's console war being the most distinct in gaming history. On top of that some of the most iconic games in history came out in that period. However, personally i think the transition between 4th generation & 5th generation was the all time peak of not just 90's gaming, but gaming period. The era spanning from roughly 1994-1997 was probably the most kickass in gaming history with awesome games that took advantage of the easily replicable 2-D sprite technology with the (at the time) relatively new capabilities of 3-D polygons. This period thrived on innovation, during that period games like Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy 6, Super Mario 64, Resident Evil, Chrono Trigger, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, among others, were notable in using the capabilities of the 4th generation and pushing the limits, while looking into the horizon of the 3-D 5th generation era. It honestly makes me wish I was born ten years earlier to fully experience and appreciate this time in gaming history!

Do you think that 1994-1995 leaned 2D and 1996-1997 leaned 3D?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/13/17 at 8:01 pm

Do you think that 1994-1995 leaned 2D and 1996-1997 leaned 3D?

I guess you could divide it like that. However, technically speaking the 3-D era was already in the general public as early as Late 94' with the PS1 launching in Japan, the Saturn being released in 95', and the N64 in 96'. Also you could make the argument that the 4th generation ended in 1996 with the SNES still having a relatively strong year before the N64 released (DKC 2 & 3, Super Mario RPG, Kirby Superstar, etc.).

I would say from a chronological standpoint:

Late 94'-Mid 95 was leaning towards the 4th generation with SNES & (to a lesser extent) Genesis still being relatively popular (arguably at their respective peaks in popularity), with 5th generation consoles starting to come out with the PS1 in Japan in 1994 and the Saturn in 1995

(Iconic games during this period: Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger)

Late 95'-Mid 96' was equally 4th & 5th generation with the SNES & the Sega Genesis 32X/CD still experiencing its mid 90's popularity, with the PS1 releasing in the rest of the globe and being the first easily accessible and popular 3-D gaming console

(Iconic games: Comix Zone, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Resident Evil)

Late 96'-Mid 97' was leaning 5th generation with the N64 being released and the PS1 starting to hit its stride, the 4th generation consoles start to wane in popularity but they still are relevant within gaming and some games are still released through 96'-97'

(Iconic games: Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country 3, Tomb Raider)

By Late 97' we were fully in the 5th generation of gaming as the popularity of 5th generation had officially surpassed that of the 4th generation with iconic games like Golden Eye 007, Final Fantasy 7, Mario Kart 64, and Tomb Raider 2 (among others) truly revolutionizing the 3-D capabilities of the PS1 & N64.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/14/17 at 11:05 am

I totally agree about the mid '90s arguably being the absolute peak of console gaming. I've made the argument before that 1994 could be considered the single greatest year in video game history, and it's a solid case. You've got Donkey Kong Country (one of the best 16-bit platformers), Final Fantasy VI (my favorite Final Fantasy game), and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (the best game on the Genesis) all in the same year. That's hard to top.

I guess you could divide it like that. However, technically speaking the 3-D era was already in the general public as early as Late 94' with the PS1 launching in Japan, the Saturn being released in 95', and the N64 in 96'. Also you could make the argument that the 4th generation ended in 1996 with the SNES still having a relatively strong year before the N64 released (DKC 2 & 3, Super Mario RPG, Kirby Superstar, etc.).

I would say from a chronological standpoint:

Late 94'-Mid 95 was leaning towards the 4th generation with SNES & (to a lesser extent) Genesis still being relatively popular (arguably at their respective peaks in popularity), with 5th generation consoles starting to come out with the PS1 in Japan in 1994 and the Saturn in 1995

(Iconic games during this period: Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger)

Late 95'-Mid 96' was equally 4th & 5th generation with the SNES & the Sega Genesis 32X/CD still experiencing its mid 90's popularity, with the PS1 releasing in the rest of the globe and being the first easily accessible and popular 3-D gaming console

(Iconic games: Comix Zone, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Resident Evil)

Late 96'-Mid 97' was leaning 5th generation with the N64 being released and the PS1 starting to hit its stride, the 4th generation consoles start to wane in popularity but they still are relevant within gaming and some games are still released through 96'-97'

(Iconic games: Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country 3, Tomb Raider)

By Late 97' we were fully in the 5th generation of gaming as the popularity of 5th generation had officially surpassed that of the 4th generation with iconic games like Golden Eye 007, Final Fantasy 7, Mario Kart 64, and Tomb Raider 2 (among others) truly revolutionizing the 3-D capabilities of the PS1 & N64.

Wow, that's an amazingly accurate description of the mid '90s 3D transition! Are you sure you weren't born in 1986?! :o

That lines up almost perfectly with my memories of that era. I would describe it like this.

1994-95 school year: Still pretty much 100% 4th generation. Yes, you had some early 5th gen consoles (like the Atari Jaguar and the 3DO), and the Sega Saturn launched in America at the end of that year, but no kids I knew had any of them. It was still all about SNES vs. Genesis, and Mario vs. Sonic was still a hot topic of debate on the playground. The debut of Donkey Kong Country in late 1994 made that game a massive topic of conversation during the year, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles was also heavily discussed as well.

1995-96 school year: I'd say this year had about a 70%/30% divide between the 4th gen and 5th gen among kids. I knew a few kids (including one of my best friends) that got a PlayStation for Christmas in 1995, but the SNES and the Genesis were still the most played consoles among kids. I don't know of anybody that owned a Saturn at this time. Some of the hot games among kids early in the year were Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest, and Mega Man X3. Early PS1 games like Rayman and Tekken picked up steam later in the year.

1996-97 school year: This was the year where 5th gen gaming really exploded. Crash Bandicoot and Super Mario 64 both came out near the beginning of the year and immediately exploded in popularity, with many kids practically begging their parents to buy them a Nintendo 64 or a PlayStation for Christmas. By the second half of the year, probably more than half of my classmates owned a 5th gen console, and talk of the SNES and Genesis took a huge backseat around this time. Conversation centered around the PS1 and N64, though, with the Saturn remaining an afterthought. 16-bit games did still have some presence during this year, mostly in the form of Vectorman, Sonic 3D Blast, and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!.

1997-98 school year: This was the last year where there was any trace of a 4th gen influence. For the most part, 5th gen consoles were firmly entrenched by late 1997, but you still had some losers like me that would not get an N64 or PS1 until Christmas 1998. ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/14/17 at 12:06 pm

I agree. I see the 7th gen HD twins as being the 2000's equivalent of what the Sega Dreamcast was to the late 1990's. And the 5th gen in the 90s being equal to the 6th gen in the 00's.

The PS3 launched at the end of 2006 meaning the 7th generation competition didn't really begin until 2007. The HD twins took a while to overtake the previous generation(including the Wii) and mainly received PC ports like CS and Mirror's Edge. The HD twins were the most powerful consoles the 00's ended with and took online gaming to the next level.

The Dreamcast launched into 1998 and had dozens of games made for it between 1998-1999, including contemporary PC ports like Half-Life and Unreal. Even the graphics of games like Shenmue were several steps above what the 5th gen could do. Like the HD twins of the 00's, the Dreamcast was the most powerful console of the 1990s and had advanced online gaming for the time.

The Dreamcast launched in the USA on September 9, 1999 (9.9.99 8)).

Written By: Howard on 05/14/17 at 1:37 pm

Where would you put the PS4? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/14/17 at 3:55 pm

Where would you put the PS4? ???

Obviously, the PS4 and Xbox One are the defining consoles of this decade (the 2010s).

Written By: Brian06 on 05/16/17 at 4:50 pm

I remember that day perfectly and I actually bought a Dreamcast on that day. The Dreamcast never really took off, but it was ahead of it's time in a lot of ways. The graphics were significantly better than PS1 and N64 and it had online gaming (SegaNet). I gamed online on the Dreamcast a bit circa 2000.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/16/17 at 4:57 pm

I remember that day perfectly and I actually bought a Dreamcast on that day. The Dreamcast never really took off, but it was ahead of it's time in a lot of ways. The graphics were significantly better than PS1 and N64 and it had online gaming (SegaNet). I gamed online on the Dreamcast a bit circa 2000.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm thinking of buying a Dreamcast especially since I'm the same age as the Dreamcast 8).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/16/17 at 5:19 pm

It's funny, because we all thought the apocalypse was gonna happen on 9/9/99. ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/16/17 at 5:22 pm

It's funny, because we all thought the apocalypse was gonna happen on 9/9/99. ;D

I didn't know that :o. I have a friend who was born on 9.9.99.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/16/17 at 6:01 pm

I didn't know that :o. I have a friend who was born on 9.9.99.

Yeah, it's true. There was a lot of hype going around that computers might get corrupted on 9/9/99 because all the numbers matched up, or something. It was really stupid, but it seems like we thought everything was going to cause computers to crash in the late '90s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/16/17 at 6:03 pm

Yeah, it's true. There was a lot of hype going around that computers might get corrupted on 9/9/99 because all the numbers matched up, or something. It was really stupid, but it seems like we thought everything was going to cause computers to crash in the late '90s.

Oh OK. LMAO, that seems to be true ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/17 at 6:07 pm

The 6th Generation by a long shot.

Classic commercial 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8XVA0qrHWg

Written By: Brian06 on 05/16/17 at 6:11 pm

Classic commercial 8)

NFL 2K...those were the days. Remember that VMU thing you put in the controllers, it was like a tiny handheld that functioned as the memory card and it could also be taken out and used to play tiny games.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/16/17 at 6:11 pm

Classic commercial 8)

Damn right about the 6th generation. *fist bump* 👊

Also, yes...that is an iconic commercial 8).

I wish NFL 2K was still a thing. Damn it EA >:(

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/17 at 6:14 pm

NFL 2K...those were the days. Remember that VMU thing you put in the controllers, it was like a tiny handheld that functioned as the memory card and it could also be taken out and used to play tiny games.
Yeah, I remember those! However, I never played the tiny games since I didn't have that many DC games myself.

Damn right about the 6th generation. *fist bump* 👊

Also, yes...that is an iconic commercial 8).

I wish NFL 2K was still a thing. Damn it EA >:(
I know! So iconic!

Were the NFL 2K games better than the other ones?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/16/17 at 6:22 pm

Yeah, I remember those! However, I never played the tiny games since I didn't have that many DC games myself.
I know! So iconic!

Were the NFL 2K games better than the other ones?

Based on what I've heard the NFL 2K franchise was a great competitor to EA's Madden franchise. NFL 2K5 is regarded by many to be the best NFL game EVER and better than it's competitor Madden NFL 2005.

A lot of people just want more competition to Madden and even want to have fun arcade games like Tecmo Bowl and NFL Blitz.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/17/17 at 8:49 am

I remember seeing screenshots for NFL 2K for the first time in an issue of of GamePro magazine back in 1999 and being completely blown away by how awesome that game looked. It's actually kind of amazing how dated it looks by today's standards because back in those days it was the most graphically advanced football game we had ever seen.

Just think about how far video games came during the '90s graphically.

The first football game I ever owned was Tecmo Super Bowl which came out in 1993 for the Super Nintendo and looked like this:
https://600games.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/tecmo-super-bowl-mp4_snapshot_06-00_2015-12-24_14-47-51.jpg

Then by 2000 we had NFL 2K which looked like this:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/y6IcFU72-uA/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/17/17 at 9:05 am

I remember seeing screenshots for NFL 2K for the first time in an issue of of GamePro magazine back in 1999 and being completely blown away by how awesome that game looked. It's actually kind of amazing how dated it looks by today's standards because back in those days it was the most graphically advanced football game we had ever seen.

Just think about how far video games came during the '90s graphically.

The first football game I ever owned was Tecmo Super Bowl which came out in 1993 for the Super Nintendo and looked like this:
https://600games.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/tecmo-super-bowl-mp4_snapshot_06-00_2015-12-24_14-47-51.jpg

Then by 2000 we had NFL 2K which looked like this:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/y6IcFU72-uA/maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, that's a crazy but also awesome transformation.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/21/17 at 9:12 am

The 6th. The PS2 was to the 00's as the NES was to the 80's.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/21/17 at 10:38 am

The 6th. The PS2 was to the 00's as the NES was to the 80's.

I would actually say the NES was partially 90s because it was still in its peak throughout all of 1990 and continued to be fairly relevant during the early years of the 16-bit wars. The 1980s are sort of more split between the Atari 2600 for the early 80s and the NES for the late 80s. Despite getting a test American release in 1985, the NES was not really popular in western markets until around late 1986.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/21/17 at 3:59 pm

Classic commercial 8)

That's more of a 90s commercial.

To get across the 00s video game feel better, try posting a 2005 commercial.

Written By: Looney Toon on 05/21/17 at 4:00 pm

Kind of an odd thing when you must avoid posting 2000-2004 (half of the decade) in order to give off a 00s video game feel.

All snark aside that 1999 Dreamcast commercial fits just fine. For some 2000s commercials I'd go with.
5cA9PAFbVMk4Pacs3hyHLo
uWW0bsNI_sIIawjeR7SCHg

Man, I wish when game commercials were funny and/or over-the-top. They'd have things like funny animation or wacky live action along with footage of gameplay. Now the commercials are kinda boring and just show off gameplay (which I suppose is all that a commercials needs).

As for which gen characterized the 00s more? I'd probably say the 6th gen. There were more big 6th gen hits in the 00s than 5th gen or 7th gen hits due to the fact that the 5th gen was closing its life and the 7th gen was just getting started. By the time the 7th gen happened the 6th gen already had over 1500 games available on the market.

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/17 at 6:22 pm

GTA San Andreas defines the decade,  although Halo 3 comes pretty close too.

Counterstrike and Football Manager as well but they're PC so splitting that into generations isn't very clean.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/21/17 at 6:51 pm

GTA San Andreas defines the decade,  although Halo 3 comes pretty close too.

Counterstrike and Football Manager as well but they're PC so splitting that into generations isn't very clean.

GTA III, GTA Vice City, GTA IV, Halo 1 and Halo 2 were pretty big too.

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/17 at 7:02 pm

GTA III, GTA Vice City, GTA IV, Halo 1 and Halo 2 were pretty big too.

Yep. People couldn't get enough World of Warcraft either.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/17 at 3:53 am

The early years were all about PS2s. 2006 and on was when Xbox360 and PS3s were the big deal.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/22/17 at 6:34 am

The early years were all about PS2s. 2006 and on was when Xbox360 and PS3s were the big deal.

More like 2007 and on. 2006 was still a year where the PS2 was more popular than the PS3 and Xbox 360....however it is a transitional year to me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/22/17 at 10:52 am

I would actually say the NES was partially 90s because it was still in its peak throughout all of 1990 and continued to be fairly relevant during the early years of the 16-bit wars. The 1980s are sort of more split between the Atari 2600 for the early 80s and the NES for the late 80s. Despite getting a test American release in 1985, the NES was not really popular in western markets until around late 1986.

Yeah, the NES was still a big deal in the early '90s, and even into the mid '90s. I've mentioned on here before how I got my NES in 1995, shortly before Nintendo stopped selling them in North America.

I remember, even after my cousin got a Sega Genesis and I got a Super Nintendo, we would still play games on the NES all the time. Whenever I was over at his house or whatever, we were just as likely to want to play Super Mario Bros. 3 as we were Super Mario World. I don't know if graphics just weren't as big of a deal to kids back then or what, but the NES had a very long period of relevancy.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/23/17 at 3:30 am

More like 2007 and on. 2006 was still a year where the PS2 was more popular than the PS3 and Xbox 360....however it is a transitional year to me.

That was when people were eager to buy them.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/23/17 at 9:44 am

The 6th. As what everyone else already said. I cannot un-see the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox as consoles of the 2000s. Really, the PS2 and Gamecube already completes the definition alone.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/23/17 at 7:12 pm

I still think 1988 and 89 were more when NES was at it's peak. Majority of the core games were out, including Super Mario 1 and 2, Zelda 1 and 2, and so many other popular titles to name. It was still big in 1990 with the release of SMB3, and into 1991, but by late 1991/92 when Super Nintendo was released was when the 4th Gen took over. Sega Genesis has been out for awhile too, but really took off in 1991 when Sonic the Hedgehog was released. Overall, I think the 90's was split between the Genesis and PS1, and Nintendo 64.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/23/17 at 7:15 pm

Yeah, the NES was still a big deal in the early '90s, and even into the mid '90s. I've mentioned on here before how I got my NES in 1995, shortly before Nintendo stopped selling them in North America.

I remember, even after my cousin got a Sega Genesis and I got a Super Nintendo, we would still play games on the NES all the time. Whenever I was over at his house or whatever, we were just as likely to want to play Super Mario Bros. 3 as we were Super Mario World. I don't know if graphics just weren't as big of a deal to kids back then or what, but the NES had a very long period of relevancy.

Yeah they still sold NES's even in the mid '90s, there was a redesigned version I remember that was available for a while.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/24/17 at 5:12 pm

Based on what I've heard the NFL 2K franchise was a great competitor to EA's Madden franchise. NFL 2K5 is regarded by many to be the best NFL game EVER and better than it's competitor Madden NFL 2005.

A lot of people just want more competition to Madden and even want to have fun arcade games like Tecmo Bowl and NFL Blitz.

Oh. Now I see. I actually had NFL 2K5 for the Xbox, but I don't remember play it often for some reason.

That commercial was in response when the other users talked about the Dreamcast and the apocalypse. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...