inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you stuck in the '00s?

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/17 at 10:21 pm

A lot of times especially now I find I'm stuck in an '00s frame of mind. Like to me it seems when things were just right, modern but not too modern. I always used to be obsessed with technology but now I'm slightly annoyed by it getting to be too much. I just don't get the 2010s at all, I don't like how people talk and act today. The last time that was "ok" was the early '10s, but today is absolutely horrible. It's amazing despite the many bad things about the '00s with 9/11 and the Iraq War, how good it seems to me now. I kind of just bundle all the '90s and '00s together as my good ol days tbh. Americans seem like they just hate each other now. It's a very ugly environment. I just try to pretend that 2017 doesn't exist and my mind is still in 2004. Music doesn't matter as much to me these days because the environment is just so horrible, even if music was better I'd still hate today anyway. It's weird how I've started disliking shows in HD and stuff, it almost looks too real. I only watch the retro TV channels today and I can't stand to watch anything current. Part of it is getting older too I'm 30 now and my formative years were from the late '90s to the early '10s and as things deviate from that, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm more set in my ways. The '00s still have like that last bit of true old schoolness that I'm glad I got to live through. The last time when Americans still sorta seemed united as a country and still believed in America overall even with party differences. Idk it just depresses me so much how crappy today is (especially in America).  :(

Subject: Re: Are you stuck in the '00s?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/26/17 at 10:44 pm

I'm only (basically)18 years old and I sort of feel the same way....I'm not "stuck in the 2000s" but I definitely feel like we are heading into a highly digitized (way more than ever today) and robotic world in the next 20-30 years. The world seems to losing the "homely-ness" that it had before the 2010s and I feel sad that we might be heading into a world less "unique".

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/17 at 10:53 pm

No, I'm stuck in the 1990's. I believe that the 2020's will be the decade that we truly become a 'technology society', at least in the west. But I also don't think we're at the Jetsons....yet, at least not until 2080, or whenever.

Honestly, in my own delusional  ;D head it's still 1998.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/17 at 10:56 pm

No, I'm stuck in the 1990's. I believe that the 2020's will be the decade that we truly become a 'technology society', at least in the west. But I also don't think we're at the Jetsons....yet, at least not until 2080, or whenever.

I like the '90s too but I still love the '00s. I know some still don't like the '00s here but I actually always did. I just hate the 2010s, especially mid and late 2010s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/26/17 at 10:56 pm

Well, we probably NEVER live like the Jetsons (for many reasons)....it's more likely for WWIII to end the world tomorrow than have humans live like The Jetsons.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/17 at 10:58 pm

Well, we probably NEVER live like the Jetsons (for many reasons)....it's more likely for WWIII to end the world tomorrow than have humans live like The Jetsons.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying.  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/17 at 10:59 pm

I like the '90s too but I still love the '00s. I know some still don't like the '00s here but I actually always did. I just hate the 2010s, especially mid and late 2010s.

I like the 00's pre-2008.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/26/17 at 10:59 pm

Yeah, I can see what you're saying.  :o

I'm glad that you do ;) ;D.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/17 at 11:00 pm

I like the 00's pre-2008.

Well that's most of the '00s. LOL. I actually like 2008 too at least first half but that's the last year for me.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/17 at 11:01 pm

2009-2012 is borderline and less bad than today but it was starting to head that way.  :-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/17 at 11:01 pm

2013-present is basically hell.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/26/17 at 11:03 pm

The only part of the 00's I like is the first 3 years. I miss them quite a bit, though. :P

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/17 at 11:03 pm

The only part of the 00's I like is the first 3 years. I miss them quite a bit, though. :P

That was probably the best part.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/26/17 at 11:05 pm

That was probably the best part.

I'd say so! I'm not really a fan of the best of the decade. I guess 2003 was alright but even after all these years, I'm not too fond of 2004-2009 pop culture wise.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/17 at 11:08 pm

I'd say so! I'm not really a fan of the best of the decade. I guess 2003 was alright but even after all these years, I'm not too fond of 2004-2009 pop culture wise.

Yeah it's not just pop culture to me, it's social and political stuff too I'm talking about because it's just a dominant part of what today is about. I just hate how hateful people are today. The '00s was getting divided but as I said I think people still kind of believed in America in general and there was more unity, today is just a mess.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/26/17 at 11:10 pm

Yeah it's not just pop culture to me, it's social and political stuff too I'm talking about because it's just a dominant part of what today is about. I just hate how hateful people are today. The '00s was getting divided but as I said I think people still kind of believed in America in general and there was more unity, today is just a mess.

With all the political unrest happening nowadays and all these shootings, mass murders and Trump in office, I totally get what you mean. It makes my head hurt when I read the news. 8-P 8-P And just recently with those poor kids, too... It sucks.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/26/17 at 11:13 pm

Honestly, my 2 favorite time periods are 1987-1993 and 1976-1982. If someone creates a time machine...please send me to those years ASAP :D.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/26/17 at 11:14 pm

Those would be pretty cool times but if I had to pick one, totally going back to 1987!

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/17 at 11:15 pm

With all the political unrest happening nowadays and all these shootings, mass murders and Trump in office, I totally get what you mean. It makes my head hurt when I read the news. 8-P 8-P And just recently with those poor kids, too... It sucks.

Yeah agreed that was just disgusting to target young girls like that. It's like everyday it gets worse. Today we can't even unite against terror because one side wants to kill all muslims basically and the other is too afraid to talk about Islamic terror because of extreme political correctness. Total mess. :-\\

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/26/17 at 11:18 pm

Those would be pretty cool times but if I had to pick one, totally going back to 1987!

You know it! 8)

Yeah agreed that was just disgusting to target young girls like that. It's like everyday it gets worse. Today we can't even unite against terror because one side wants to kill all muslims basically and the other is too afraid to talk about Islamic terror because of extreme political correctness. Total mess. :-\\

Trying to "solve" Islamic terrorism is soooo complicated and virtually impossible.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/17 at 11:20 pm

You know it! 8)
Trying to "solve" Islamic terrorism is soooo complicated and virtually impossible.

We should have just stayed out of the middle east in general. Thanks Dubya (and Obama too). Building "democracies" in the middle east is an impossible goal and not our job.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/26/17 at 11:22 pm

Exactly. You're either some right wing nut who thinks everyone in a hijab is "evil" or you're too afraid to talk about actual political issues due to fear of being "offensive". The divide is too much.

We should have just stayed out of the middle east in general. Thanks Dubya (and Obama too). Building "democracies" in the middle east is an impossible goal and not our job.

You both got it right.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/26/17 at 11:30 pm

The mess in the Middle East extends way BEFORE Presidents #43 & #44. The mess that we see in the Middle East today extends back over 100 years (101 years to be exact - 1916)....and it all started with the United Kingdom and France.

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/17 at 12:31 am

Another Freudian slip!

You're right.

We bypassed that "giant wall-sized CTR computer screen" phase and went straight for miniature computers! All the technology in the Jetsons looks chunky. :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/27/17 at 12:40 am

Another Freudian slip!

Aw dammit! >:(

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/17 at 1:01 am

The 2000s are starting to feel like a blur to me. I think I'm slowly forgetting them. Anything before 2010 is starting to feel like a while ago, which is weird because I never thought I'd be saying that. I'm forgetting my childhood/teenagehood ;D

2009-2014 were my favourite years, so it's not that long ago. My personal life in 2013/2014 was not the greatest, but the world still felt stable overall. Now that I think about it though, 2014 was when things started derailing. 2015/2016 were really rough too. Both my summer those years were ruined. 2015 because of the refugee crisis and 2016 because of the Nuremberg rally complete with Nazi salutes they had down south.

2017 is somewhat calmer though. The far-right wave in Europe is receding, there are less terrorist attacks (Manchester notwithstanding), ISIS is in steep decline, the economy is firing on all cylinders, and last week was a huge blow to Québec separatism so I'm happy about that. I'm feeling optimistic again, which is weird because that's not how I imagined this year going.  :-X 2016 felt like a year of shouting and division, I hope 2017 becomes a year of healing.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/27/17 at 2:00 am

I still primarily buy my music on iTunes as opposed to streaming them. I far prefer the feeling of owning my music, plus not having to worry about my Internet connection wherever I'm going. I also still don't really use apps very much, even though I own an iPhone.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/27/17 at 9:24 am

I am stuck in the 2000s. Mainly 2000-2005. I actually been addictively flashing back to 2004 and the peaks of older artists like Ja Rule, Ashanti and Nelly.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/27/17 at 9:27 am

I still primarily buy my music on iTunes as opposed to streaming them. I far prefer the feeling of owning my music, plus not having to worry about my Internet connection wherever I'm going. I also still don't really use apps very much, even though I own an iPhone.

I don't mess with apps either. Haha Its my sister that's pushing me to that transition. I also still just download music off of free download music sites like MP3Skull that I don't think is still active.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/27/17 at 12:45 pm

Absolutely I'm still stuck in the 2000's. I just listened to Meteora all the way through a few days ago, and I ain't ashamed about it!

But I think it makes sense, though, that I would be stuck in the '00s, the same way that it makes sense that my parents are still stuck in the '80s to a large extent. My high school years were 2001-2005, and that's the era that I still lean to in most ways. Even from a tech standpoint I'm still somewhat stuck in the '00s because I rarely use social media, and mostly just use my cell phone for calls.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/17 at 1:01 pm

Let's party like it's 1998.  8)       

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/27/17 at 1:18 pm

I get you. The 2000's and the 90's both have a comforting vibe in today's world. I also know what you mean about avoiding HD channels and things like that. It's almost too much and it feels as though TV has lost something with that high definition. Whenever I watch something in 2000's TV picture quality that was originally shown on CRT TV's it always gives me a good feeling.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/27/17 at 1:41 pm

A lot of times especially now I find I'm stuck in an '00s frame of mind. Like to me it seems when things were just right, modern but not too modern. I always used to be obsessed with technology but now I'm slightly annoyed by it getting to be too much. I just don't get the 2010s at all, I don't like how people talk and act today. The last time that was "ok" was the early '10s, but today is absolutely horrible. It's amazing despite the many bad things about the '00s with 9/11 and the Iraq War, how good it seems to me now. I kind of just bundle all the '90s and '00s together as my good ol days tbh. Americans seem like they just hate each other now. It's a very ugly environment. I just try to pretend that 2017 doesn't exist and my mind is still in 2004. Music doesn't matter as much to me these days because the environment is just so horrible, even if music was better I'd still hate today anyway. It's weird how I've started disliking shows in HD and stuff, it almost looks too real. I only watch the retro TV channels today and I can't stand to watch anything current. Part of it is getting older too I'm 30 now and my formative years were from the late '90s to the early '10s and as things deviate from that, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm more set in my ways. The '00s still have like that last bit of true old schoolness that I'm glad I got to live through. The last time when Americans still sorta seemed united as a country and still believed in America overall even with party differences. Idk it just depresses me so much how crappy today is (especially in America).  :(

I can fully relate.  This mindset persisted into the early '10s but started to fade around 2012 or 2013.  For me, 2008-2011 were perfect years.  Everything since late 2012 has been flat out awful.

As for technology, I understand what you are saying. I still prefer desktop PCs and can never adjust to using a phone or a tablet as my primary way of accessing the Internet.  I am on Facebook because I pretty much have to be, but I don't have a twitter, an instagram, or anything else.

I don't agree about HD TV though.  I wouldn't want to return to 4:3 SD.

I am still undecided if this is all because I am getting older, I live in a small town I don't want to be in, or because of Donald Trump.  It might be a combination of all three.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/27/17 at 1:45 pm

The 2000s are starting to feel like a blur to me. I think I'm slowly forgetting them. Anything before 2010 is starting to feel like a while ago, which is weird because I never thought I'd be saying that. I'm forgetting my childhood/teenagehood ;D

I have felt this way about the '90s for a long time.  I like to reminisce about my '90s childhood, but it doesn't seem as 'real' to me as the '00s do.  My own "prime happiness" was 2008-2011.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/27/17 at 10:27 pm

I still am, in some ways. It was really evident to me when I went to a birthday dinner last year. I wanted to wear baggy jeans, but my Mum wanted me to wear skinnier jeans, because they're the "in" thing at the moment. :P Admittedly, 1999 still feels as though it was only 10-12 years ago. I don't think of the Late 90s as being 18-20 years ago.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/17 at 10:29 pm

I still am, in some ways. It was really evident to me when I went to a birthday dinner last year. I wanted to wear baggy jeans, but my Mum wanted me to wear skinnier jeans, because they're the "in" thing at the moment. :P Admittedly, 1999 still feels as though it was only 10-12 years ago. I don't think of the Late 90s as being 18-20 years ago.

Yeah, a lot of the time it's crazy for me to think that in LESS than 2 months I will have been on this Earth for 18 years :o. I sometimes don't think or feel like I'm about to turn 18.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 7:48 am

Yeah, a lot of the time it's crazy for me to think that in LESS than 2 months I will have been on this Earth for 18 years :o. I sometimes don't think or feel like I'm about to turn 18.

I can't believe it either, because in exactly twelve weeks I would be 18 years old.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 7:52 am

In my eyes based on the trends of that year, 1999 really only feels about 8-10 years ago.

1997/98 feels a little longer ago, maybe about 10-11 years ago.

1988 on the other hand I could believe that it was very long ago (more than 20 years ago)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 10:01 am

I can't believe it either, because in exactly twelve weeks I would be 18 years old.

I know right. My birthday is just a little over 6 weeks away.

In my eyes based on the trends of that year, 1999 really only feels about 8-10 years ago.

1997/98 feels a little longer ago, maybe about 10-11 years ago.

1988 on the other hand I could believe that it was very long ago (more than 20 years ago)

I actually agree with you.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/28/17 at 11:13 am

I'm surprised that you guys born in the late '90s don't think that 1999 seems like a long time ago. I can only speak for myself, but 1989 has always felt like a million years ago to me because my memories from that time are very vague.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 11:25 am

I'm surprised that you guys born in the late '90s don't think that 1999 seems like a long time ago. I can only speak for myself, but 1989 has always felt like a million years ago to me because my memories from that time are very vague.

Well that's because you turned 2 in 1989. I turned 2 in 2001 and it depends on the day but it either feels like a long time ago (16 years ago) or only a little more recent (like 10 years ago).

However, to compare how we feel since us '99ers turn 18 this year.....Did you a 1987 born feel the same way when you turned 18 in 2005? Did you actually feel like you had been alive for 18 years?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/28/17 at 11:57 am

Well that's because you turned 2 in 1989. I turned 2 in 2001 and it depends on the day but it either feels like a long time ago (16 years ago) or only a little more recent (like 10 years ago).

However, to compare how we feel since us '99ers turn 18 this year.....Did you a 1987 born feel the same way when you turned 18 in 2005? Did you actually feel like you had been alive for 18 years?

Yeah, that's a good point. I remember that it did feel weird turning 18. It's like this mythical age that you anticipate your entire childhood because you know you'll be considered an adult, and then when you finally get there it's an interesting feeling.

The first thing I did when I turned 18, at about 6 AM on July 12, 2005, was go to town and buy a pack of cigarettes just because I could. It was pretty cool at the time.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 11:58 am

Yeah, that's a good point. I remember that it did feel weird turning 18. It's like this mythical age that you anticipate your entire childhood because you know you'll be considered an adult, and then when you finally get there it's an interesting feeling.

The first thing I did when I turned 18, at about 6 AM on July 12, 2005, was go to town and buy a pack of cigarettes just because I could. It was pretty cool at the time.

In where I live, you can't really smoke until age 19 or 21 (depending on town or county).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/28/17 at 12:03 pm

The most recent year that really seems "completely devoid from the modern age" is probably 1988 from a historical context - in 1989, the Berlin Wall fell down, and the Communist regime in Central and Eastern Europe rapidly declined. Both of which probably could give us clues on how today would look like, and some people even argue that the 21st century and modern age culturally began in 1989. Also, whenever I see films/shows that were made in 1988 and before, they seem to have a sort of "feel" to them (I know this sounds a little silly). Even stuff like Legends of the Hidden Temple, which premiered in 1993, had better recording/filming quality.

The most recent year that doesn't have any significant ties with today is a little more difficult to dissect.

Some may say 1994, due to the fact it was the last year before Windows 95 and the Internet came out.
Some may say 1997, because that was the last year where Al Qaeda was not really a threat yet until the US Embassy Bombings took place in summer 1998 (this is very arguable).
Some may say 1998, due to the fact that there wasn't the Euro yet, and it was the last year before Generation Y culture became a lot more significant than Generation X culture.
Some may say 2000, due to the fact that it was the last year before 9/11 took place (as well as last year before War on Terror), the last year where the Internet rates were under 50%, and the last year before the iPod came out.
Some may even say 2001 - The Euro didn't really become widespread in Europe until 2002

That's a good topic. I agree with 1988 being the last year that doesn't feel connected to the modern world because of the collapse of the Soviet Union from 1989-1991. All you have to do is compare the 1988 presidential election to the 1992 presidential election to see how much the world changed in those four years.

The last year to me that feels really separate from 2017 is 2005. I know that seems late, but I say that because of the rise of YouTube in 2006. I think sometimes people really underestimate how big of a thing this was. First YouTube came along, then streaming services like Netflix and Hulu followed, and before you know it we were living in our current world or almost any TV show or movie being available on-demand. A lack of YouTube, and online streaming services in general, really makes 2005 seem dated to me now.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 12:14 pm

That's a good topic. I agree with 1988 being the last year that doesn't feel connected to the modern world because of the collapse of the Soviet Union from 1989-1991. All you have to do is compare the 1988 presidential election to the 1992 presidential election to see how much the world changed in those four years.

The last year to me that feels really separate from 2017 is 2005. I know that seems late, but I say that because of the rise of YouTube in 2006. I think sometimes people really underestimate how big of a thing this was. First YouTube came along, then streaming services like Netflix and Hulu followed, and before you know it we were living in our current world or almost any TV show or movie being available on-demand. A lack of YouTube, and online streaming services in general, really makes 2005 seem dated to me now.

1989-1991 probably, if anything, in recent history had more change than any other years.

1988: Soviet Union, Germany is still divided, Central and Eastern Europe were still under Communist rule, Cold War still went on, glam metal is very popular (peaked in 1987-88), crack was an enormous problem, World Wide Web didn't exist yet
1992: No Soviet Union, Germany is one country, Central and Eastern Europe were no longer under Communist rule, Cold War is no more, glam metal is the laughingstock in the music world, crack use was declining, World Wide Web already existed (though almost everyone didn't have the Internet yet)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 12:15 pm

Thread back open

The most recent year that really seems "completely devoid from the modern age" is probably 1988 from a historical context - in 1989, the Berlin Wall fell down, and the Communist regime in Central and Eastern Europe rapidly declined. Both of which probably could give us clues on how today would look like, and some people even argue that the 21st century and modern age culturally began in 1989. Also, whenever I see films/shows that were made in 1988 and before, they seem to have a sort of "feel" to them (I know this sounds a little silly). Even stuff like Legends of the Hidden Temple, which premiered in 1993, had better recording/filming quality.

The most recent year that doesn't have any significant ties with today is a little more difficult to dissect.

Some may say 1994, due to the fact it was the last year before Windows 95 and the Internet came out.
Some may say 1997, because that was the last year where Al Qaeda was not really a threat yet until the US Embassy Bombings took place in summer 1998 (this is very arguable).
Some may say 1998, due to the fact that there wasn't the Euro yet, and it was the last year before Generation Y culture became a lot more significant than Generation X culture.
Some may say 2000, due to the fact that it was the last year before 9/11 took place (as well as last year before War on Terror), the last year where the Internet rates were under 50%, and the last year before the iPod came out.
Some may even say 2001 - The Euro didn't really become widespread in Europe until 2002

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 12:17 pm

Yeah, I fully agree.

BTW, just asking...are you still a smoker?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 12:18 pm

Thread back open

By, not connected to the "modern" age...do you mean politically and technologically wise?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 12:19 pm

By, not connected to the "modern" age...do you mean politically and technologically wise?

In all circumstances - politically, culturally, historical analysis, technologically, etc

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/28/17 at 12:24 pm

Yeah, I fully agree.

BTW, just asking...are you still a smoker?

I never really was a true smoker. I've smoked a few cigarettes and cigars over the years, but not in a while. It just wasn't for me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 12:26 pm

In all circumstances - politically, culturally, historical analysis, technologically, etc

Hmmmm.....I see/get what you're saying but I don't think that 1988 is not connected to the modern age.

I guess for the Soviet Union and Soviet Bloc countries...life before 1989-1991 feels almost ancient but outside of those countries....1988 is not so disconnected from 2017 (especially in the US).

I never really was a true smoker. I've smoked a few cigarettes and cigars over the years, but not in a while. It just wasn't for me.

Oh OK, I was just wondering...because I've never thought about buying cigarettes when I turn 18 (well actually...never) ;D.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/28/17 at 12:36 pm

Hmmmm.....I see/get what you're saying but I don't think that 1988 is not connected to the modern age.

I guess for the Soviet Union and Soviet Bloc countries...life before 1989-1991 feels almost ancient but outside of those countries....1988 is not so disconnected from 2017 (especially in the US).
Oh OK, I was just wondering...because I've never thought about buying cigarettes when I turn 18 (well actually...never) ;D.

When did the modern age begin, to you, in the United States of America?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 12:41 pm

When did the modern age begin, to you, in the United States of America?

However, if we're talking about modern in the sense of if a person in 2017 were to go back and not feel extremely out of place....I would say 1984.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/28/17 at 1:17 pm

However, if we're talking about modern in the sense of if a person in 2017 were to go back and not feel extremely out of place....I would say 1984.

That's close to my idea too. For me, it's 1964 was the beginning of the modern age in the US!

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/28/17 at 1:19 pm

What I meant with "modern" is 2014-present in my post. I really should have said "recent era" instead of modern.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 1:54 pm

That's close to my idea too. For me, it's 1964 was the beginning of the modern age in the US!

OK, I can see 1964 as the start of the modern age in the US.

What I meant with "modern" is 2014-present in my post. I really should have said "recent era" instead of modern.

I gotcha.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/28/17 at 7:57 pm

The 80s are the first real decade that feel connected to today as the innovations of that time started the template of 21st century convenient living.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/17 at 8:14 pm

The 80s are the first real decade that feel connected to today as the innovations of that time started the template of 21st century convenient living.

I agree.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/28/17 at 11:13 pm

Sometimes, I wish I was a mod. We'd have so many thread purities and varieties if they stayed true to them selves.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 12:57 am

One day we will live like the Jetsons.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 1:00 am

I think we are all stuck in the 2000s. Forums are a 2000s thing, normies don't really go on them anymore.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/29/17 at 1:21 am

I think we are all stuck in the 2000s. Forums are a 2000s thing, normies don't really go on them anymore.

I haven't thought about this but I think you might be right.  Message boards are still popular in the gaming community though.  They just aren't used as much by casual Internet users.  Facebook/Disqus integration has taken their place.  Reddit is still as popular as ever though.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/29/17 at 1:46 am

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs??  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 05/29/17 at 1:48 am

You're right. Message boards/forums aren't the 'in' thing anymore. Also, people might be burnt out by them too.

Written By: 2001 on 05/29/17 at 6:19 am

I haven't thought about this but I think you might be right.  Message boards are still popular in the gaming community though.  They just aren't used as much by casual Internet users.  Facebook/Disqus integration has taken their place.  Reddit is still as popular as ever though.

I was going to say I visit two other message boards other than this one, and they're both for gaming.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 9:36 am

Nope...never.

Written By: 2001 on 05/29/17 at 11:03 am

Unless climate change takes care of us first!  :-X

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/29/17 at 11:25 am

Its crazy I never realized this topic. Yeah, message boards do feel like a 2000s thing. They basically transitioned to Twitter.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 11:55 am

Unless climate change takes care of us first!  :-X

Climate change is just one of the reasons why we will never live like The Jetsons. Especially, now that Trump will make the U.S.A., the ONLY major country to not follow the Paris Climate Agreement  >:( >:( >:( >:( :\'(.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 11:55 am

Its crazy I never realized this topic. Yeah, message boards do feel like a 2000s thing. They basically transitioned to Twitter.

That is true.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 12:28 pm

Nope...never.

Why? You can't predict the future. One day humans will live like them, just maybe not in this lifetime. Although I hope it is in this lifetime.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 12:46 pm

Why? You can't predict the future. One day humans will live like them, just maybe not in this lifetime. Although I hope it is in this lifetime.

You can't predict the future either. Also, there are many reasons why we will never live The Jetsons:

1. The Jetsons featured very clunky technology that was based off of 1950s and early 1960s technology. Unless, we go into a period of retrofuturism about the '50s & '60s then....no.
2. The Jetsons was a product of both the Space and Jet Age.
3. Many physics related problems to the technology used and how the buildings are able to float.
4. Climate change (like I said earlier): Currently, we can't stop climate change from getting worse and obviously, the effects of climate change will hinder the chance of living like The Jetsons for a very, very long time (and it's already a long way off).

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 12:52 pm

You can't predict the future either. Also, there are many reasons why we will never live The Jetsons:

1. The Jetsons featured very clunky technology that was based off of 1950s and early 1960s technology. Unless, we go into a period of retrofuturism about the '50s & '60s then....no.
2. The Jetsons was a product of both the Space and Jet Age.
3. Many physics related problems to the technology used and how the buildings are able to float.
4. Climate change (like I said earlier): Currently, we can't stop climate change from getting worse and obviously, the effects of climate change will hinder the chance of living like The Jetsons for a very, very long time (and it's already a long way off).

You just predicted the future now though...  ???

I think one day, we will not only live like the Jetsons, but even more advanced than them. Something we can't even imagine now and it will be super advanced and we will have colonies on other planets. This will most likely happen one day, just not in this lifetime. But even in this lifetime, we will get much more advanced than we are now.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/29/17 at 12:53 pm

THIS.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 12:58 pm

You just predicted the future now though...  ???

I think one day, we will not only live like the Jetsons, but even more advanced than them. Something we can't even imagine now and it will be super advanced and we will have colonies on other planets. This will most likely happen one day, just not in this lifetime. But even in this lifetime, we will get much more advanced than we are now.

The only part of your statement I agree with is your last sentence (even though, we still can't predict the future and don't forget about climate change).

Also, I didn't predict the future in the same way that you are. The Jetsons was very unique to the early 1960s....it was how many people in the early 1960s viewed the future...we will never live like that. It's just the truth not a prediction.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 1:04 pm

we will never live like that. It's just the truth not a prediction.

That'a wrong though. How can one guy like yourself know we will never live like that? You can't say that... You don't know and nobody else knows either. Don't say "we won't" if you don't have a crystal ball and you can't know. I think WE WILL!

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 1:08 pm

The only part of your statement I agree with is your last sentence (even though, we still can't predict the future and don't forget about climate change).

Also, I didn't predict the future in the same way that you are. The Jetsons was very unique to the early 1960s....it was how many people in the early 1960s viewed the future...we will never live like that. It's just the truth not a prediction.

Aa I said we will live even more advanced than the Jetsons. Jetsons life will look old like the 1800s in like 500 years from now. It will be extremely easy to achieve in around 300 years. And in this life time, we will probably have many things reminiscent to it. Accept it ReignMan, the future is coming very fast and so is new technology.  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 1:11 pm

That'a wrong though. How can one guy like yourself know we will never live like that? You can't say that... You don't know and nobody else knows either. Don't say "we won't" if you don't have a crystal ball and you can't know. I think WE WILL!

Aa I said we will live even more advanced than the Jetsons. Jetsons life will look old like the 1800s in like 500 years from now. It will be extremely easy to achieve in around 300 years. And in this life time, we will probably have many things reminiscent to it. Accept it ReignMan, the future is coming very fast and so is new technology.  8)

No, I can confidently say that we won't live like them in our lifetimes. Once again, The Jetsons were a product of their time...the early 1960s. We are in the late 2010s now (2017). The Jetsons was set in 2062 which is 45 years away from 2017. Yeah...no, it's not going to happen. I think that many technophiles like you have too high expectations and dreams for the future. Also, once again....DON'T FORGOT ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE.

Also, who is thinking about 300-500 years from now, lol? That's way too far in the future.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 1:17 pm

No, I can confidently say that we won't live like them in our lifetimes.

No you can't and nobody can. Even those with history degrees who are good at predicting the future from past events can't. Just admit we won't know until the future. Why do you think you have all the answers? I always said "I think" but you say "you know".. Fine if you will keep saying "you know" we won't live like the Jetsons, then I will say I know we will one day.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 1:21 pm

No you can't and nobody can. Even those with history degrees who are good at predicting the future from past events can't. Just admit we won't know until the future. Why do you think you have all the answers? I always said "I think" but you say "you know".. Fine if you will keep saying "you know" we won't live like the Jetsons, then I will say I know we will one day.

Yes, I know because of climate change and physics.

I'm not saying that some version of your futuristic human life fantasies won't happen ever but we won't live like The Jetsons and probably not "futuristic" as you fantasize about in our lifetimes. Sorry bud, I just had to tell ya :-\\.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/29/17 at 1:22 pm

I don't think that's clearly the case for The Jetsons. For one thing, the show takes 100 years after the original premiere of the show. It would've been completely different if we've lived in 2062 now, since we would probably have more distinct devices than the actual Jetsons. Not to mention that the technology based on The Jetsons were 50-60 years old, so the actual technology in 2062 would've been related towards holographic mobile devices and advanced virtual reality.

Forums in general have transformed into social media that's not easily accessed on your computer. That sucks because I've never really got into my smartphone over the past 2 years, since it's not as convenient as other people say in my opinion.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 1:25 pm

Yes, I know because of climate change and physics.

I'm not saying that some version of your futuristic human life fantasies won't happen ever but we won't live like The Jetsons and probably not "futuristic" as you fantasize about in our lifetimes. Sorry bud, I just had to tell ya :-\\.

Umm no you don't know from climate change and physics. What the heck does that have to do with anything? Even the most intelligent scientists don't know exactly how long it will take for climate change to destroy the world... So that is not a good argument at all and you DON'T know anything for sure.

No we will live like the Jetsons one day. It is inevitible. Technology keeps progressing, so you need to admit it. Why are you so against it? Nobody even conceptualized the internet 50 years ago, so this lifetime will also be futuristic and we will live one day like the Jetsons, just understand that that is possible and it will probably happen. Yoi do not have any other good arguments otherwise. Climate change is a bad argument, nobody knows how long that will affect the world. This world can still be here 5000 years from now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 1:27 pm

I don't think that's clearly the case for The Jetsons. For one thing, the show takes 100 years after the original premiere of the show. It would've been completely different if we've lived in 2062 now, since we would probably have more distinct devices than the actual Jetsons. Not to mention that the technology based on The Jetsons were 50-60 years old, so the actual technology in 2062 would've been related towards holographic mobile devices and advanced virtual reality.

Exactly, that's what I'm trying to tell Slim95.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 1:31 pm

All I'm saying is nothing is impossible. I would have no problem if it is said it is highly unlikely/improbable, but impossible? I won't accept that. Literally nothing is impossible when talking about the future. There are so many things humans can accomplish in 5000 years.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 1:32 pm

Umm no you don't know from climate change and physics. What the heck does that have to do with anything? Even the most intelligent scientists don't know exactly how long it will take for climate change to destroy the world... So that is not a good argument at all and you DON'T know anything for sure.

Ok bud. You obviously don't understand how physics works, lol. So let's just leave physics out of this. Also, climate change is already affecting humans and more and more people are moving inland. It will get worse in the next 100 years.

No we will live like the Jetsons one day. It is inevitible. Technology keeps progressing, so you need to admit it. Why are you so against it? Nobody even conceptualized the internet 50 years ago, so this lifetime will also be futuristic and we will live one day like the Jetsons, just understand that that is possible and it will probably happen. Yoi do not have any other good arguments otherwise. Climate change is a bad argument, nobody knows how long that will affect the world. This world can still be here 5000 years from now.

Did you read my statement correctly? If not then I'll post it again: "I'm not saying that some version of your futuristic human life fantasies won't happen ever but we won't live like The Jetsons and probably not "futuristic" as you fantasize about in our lifetimes."

You have no good arguments...only your fantasies ;D ;D ;D. No one said that the Earth won't be here in 5000 years. Climate change is NOT about saving the Earth, it's about saving US (HUMANS) and our civilizations. Climate change can wipe humans out. It has been a misconception by pro-climate change activists that the Earth won't be here.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 1:34 pm

Ok bud. You obviously don't understand how physics works, lol. So let's just leave physics out of this. Also, climate change is already affecting humans and more and more people are moving inland. It will get worse in the next 100 years.

Tell me how you know what physics works and what it has to do with predicting the future?  ??? If you really understood physics and science, you would realize nothing is impossible when predicting the future. Let's see your physics degree? You haven't even finished highschool yet for crying out loud.... And you're telling me, who is almost graduating university, you know more than me about science? Cut it out. My entire post is that it is not impossible to live like the Jetsons in the future. I said I think it will happen, and you should have said you don't think it will happen rather than saying it's impossible and using fake science to back up your point. Nobody knows to what extent global warming will affect us. And it absolutely not impossible like you say. Most people will agree they can't say anything for sure in the future.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/29/17 at 1:39 pm

All I'm saying is nothing is impossible. I would have no problem if it is said it is highly unlikely/improbable, but impossible? I won't accept that. Literally nothing is impossible when talking about the future. There are so many things humans can accomplish in 5000 years.

I wouldn't say that the technology from The Jetsons is impossible. It could take a long time for it to produce though, which would probably be made before 2062, depending on the capabilities of said devices. It's just that The Jetsons' point of view towards the future would be different, since the technology was like a parody of mid 20th century devices. Also, why 5000 years for humans?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 1:40 pm

Tell me how you know what physics works and what it has to do with predicting the future?  ??? If you really understood physics and science, you would realize nothing is impossible when predicting the future. Let's see your physics degree? You haven't even finished highschool yet for crying out loud.... And you're telling me, who is almost graduating university, you know more than me about science? Cut it out. My entire post is that it is not impossible to live like the Jetsons in the future. I said I think it will happen, and you should have said you don't think it will happen rather than saying it's impossible and using fake science to back up your point. Nobody knows to what extent global warming will affect us. And it absolutely not impossible like you say. Most people will agree they can't say anything for sure in the future.

Claiming that I'm using "fake" science and being ageist. Nice, I think that solves it. I am done here. Thanks, conversation OVER!.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 1:47 pm

I wouldn't say that the technology from The Jetsons is impossible. It could take a long time for it to produce though, which would probably be made before 2062, depending on the capabilities of said devices. It's just that The Jetsons' point of view towards the future would be different, since the technology was like a parody of mid 20th century devices. Also, why 5000 years for humans?

Yeah it will definitely be different but I think one day in the future we may develop technology for it. No one knows when humans will go extinct. We may find a solution to climate change in the future as technology progresses, who knows.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 1:48 pm

Claiming that I'm using "fake" science and being ageist. Nice, I think that solves it. I am done here. Thanks, conversation OVER!.

Sorry I didn't mean to come off as harsh. I think this argument is pointless anyway because no one knows what the future will bring, hopefully we can agree with that and settle it there.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 1:50 pm

Sorry I didn't mean to come off as harsh. I think this argument is pointless anyway because no one knows what the future will bring, hopefully we can agree with that and settle it there.

Yes, we can agree on that.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/29/17 at 1:52 pm

Yeah it will definitely be different but I think one day in the future we will develop technology for it. No one knows when humans will go extinct. We may find a solution to climate change in the future as technologt progresses, who knows.

To be fair, I hope they do find a solution for people to avoid an apocalypse from certain climate changes. We could eventually live in a different planet (like Mars), or basically live in underwater domes with factory-made air. Who knows?

Written By: Howard on 05/29/17 at 1:54 pm

1989 was 28 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/17 at 1:57 pm

You're right. Message boards/forums aren't the 'in' thing anymore. Also, people might be burnt out by them too.

I'm not.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 2:01 pm

Do you still smoke cigarettes? ???

No, he said that he doesn't smoke anymore.

Written By: 2001 on 05/29/17 at 2:10 pm

If we continue on our current trajectory, the effects of climate change will be catastrophic by 2100  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 2:12 pm

If we continue on our current trajectory, the effects of climate change will be catastrophic by 2100  :-X

:-X :-X :-X :-X

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 2:14 pm

That isn't proven, it's just a theory. It will get worse, but the time when is not known for sure.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 4:43 pm

1989 was 28 years ago.

It feels like a long time ago now.

Written By: 2001 on 05/29/17 at 9:19 pm

That isn't proven, it's just a theory. It will get worse, but the time when is not known for sure.

Rising sea levels aren't really a theory, it's happening. And we can project how much the sea levels will be at certain temperatures by using historical data. Miami and New Orleans have already gone past the point of no return, the question is can we save places like Hong Kong, London and New York in time too.  (at our current pace, the answer is no) :-X

I can get optimistic for the future, but anything past 2050 is a question mark for me.  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 9:24 pm

Rising sea levels aren't really a theory, it's happening. And we can project how much the sea levels will be at certain temperatures by using historical data. Miami and New Orleans have already gone past the point of no return, the question is can we save places like Hong Kong, London and New York in time too.  (at our current pace, the answer is no) :-X

I can get optimistic for the future, but anything past 2050 is a question mark for me.  ;D

No it is not proven that by 2100 the human race will be extinct. Nobody knows that. That is what I'm saying.

Written By: 2001 on 05/29/17 at 9:26 pm

No it is not proven that by 2100 the hunman race will be extinct. That is what I'm saying.

Oh, yeah, true, I don't think anyone's saying we'll be extinct by then, but life will be a lot more difficult compared to now.

Extinction will take a few more decades than that.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 9:45 pm

Oh, yeah, true, I don't think anyone's saying we'll be extinct by then, but life will be a lot more difficult compared to now.

Extinction will take a few more decades than that.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

I agree :-X :-X :-X :-X.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/17 at 6:44 am

It feels like a long time ago now.

I know, it sure does. :o

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/12/17 at 11:38 pm

I'm still stuck in the 2000s. Especially with the series I wrote that take place in the peak of that era. I recently listened to some songs from Usher's Confession album and that s** took me a walk down memory lane of 04.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/12/17 at 11:40 pm

I'm still stuck in the 2000s. Especially with the series I wrote that take place in the peak of that era. I recently listened to some songs from Usher's Confession album and that s** took me a walk down memory lane of 04.

That was a great album.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/12/17 at 11:51 pm

That was a great album.

Yes.

It truly does have timeless production.

Written By: wixness on 08/13/17 at 12:49 am

Yup. Saints Row 2 is still the best game especially for features, and 2010s music and fashion are too conformist; guys are wearing their hair short as it's cool in this decade and their music and style looks too appealing to the religious fundamentalists if you don't give the lyrics to them for some of the songs at least. Technological development has pretty much slowed down and stagnated (Apple nearly killed off pen computing and nearly everything now is an incremental improvement; mobile games feel too much like 2000s flash games and are overwhelmingly linear), and politics are just the same as before, if not a little bit worse.

Overall, to me, the 2010s is regressive or has slowed down innovation.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/18/17 at 10:40 am

I still listened to the radio and the Hip Hop and R&B station has been noticeably playing 2000s songs as the throw backs. I'm glad to not be missing this.

Check for new replies or respond here...