inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who Was The Most Iconic Sports Figure of the 2000's?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/29/17 at 12:42 pm

Each decade has a sports figure that dominated the conversation the most during those years. For the '80s it was Joe Montana, for the '90s it was Michael Jordan, and I believe for the '10s it will ultimately be LeBron James.

But for the '00s the answer is not quite as clear. A case could be made for Tom Brady winning 3 Super Bowls or Kobe Bryant winning 5 NBA titles. I actually lean a little bit towards Tiger Woods, though. It's kind of amazing just how huge Tiger was when he was at his peak, especially considering we're talking about golf here. There was a time when every time Tiger Woods was in place to win a tournament, it became must see TV.

Subject: Re: Who Was The Most Iconic Sports Figure of the 2000's?

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/29/17 at 12:45 pm

For basketball, Kobe Bryant (aside from what he did in Colorado in 2003). For baseball, it could be Derek Jeter. For football, it could be either Eli Manning or Tom Brady. I'm not sure about hockey though.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/29/17 at 12:52 pm

I'd go with either Derek Jeter or Tiger Woods. A-Rod and Lance Armstrong were formidable contenders as well until their substance abuse scandals unfolded.

Honorable mentions, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James (although I'd say he leans more 10's overall), Dale Earnhardt (he died in 2001, but his influence on NASCAR was very heavy throughout the 2000's), and Michael Phelps.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/29/17 at 1:47 pm

I'd go with either Derek Jeter or Tiger Woods. A-Rod and Lance Armstrong were formidable contenders as well until their substance abuse scandals unfolded.

Honorable mentions, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James (although I'd say he leans more 10's overall), Dale Earnhardt (he died in 2001, but his influence on NASCAR was very heavy throughout the 2000's), and Michael Phelps.

Jeter would be a good choice, though he did win most of his titles in the late '90s. I had actually forgot about Lance Armstrong. He was huge in the '00s when he was winning the Tour de France every year, but obviously that doesn't look nearly as good in hindsight. Same thing with A-Rod.

Barry Bonds actually could be an option, too. He broke the home run record in 2001, and then Hank Aaron's career record in 2007, both of which were massive events. Still, though, he was also heavily tainted by scandal.

Basketball in the '00s is interesting because it doesn't have a clear cut dominant figure like it did in the '90s and '10s. LeBron was really just getting started and didn't hit his stride until the '10s, and Kobe Bryant won his first 3 titles with Shaq, so he wasn't even the best player on his team at the time. Allen Iverson could be in the discussion, too, but he wasn't able to win a title.

That's a good point about Dale Earnhardt, too. Even though he died in 2001, his death was such a huge event that it made him even more iconic in the '00s than he had been in previous decades.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 1:55 pm

1980s: Magic Johnson

Honorable mentions: Larry Bird, Joe Montana, Hulk Hogan, Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, Mike Tyson, Wayne Gretzky

1990s: Michael Jordan, no doubt about it.

Honorable mentions: The Dallas Cowboys Triplets (Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin), Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Shaquille O'Neal.

2000s: Kobe Bryant

Honorable mentions: Allen Iverson, Tiger Woods, LeBron James (he was really popular from 2007-2009), Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter.

2010s: LeBron James, without a doubt.

Honorable mentions: Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Odell Beckham Jr

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/29/17 at 2:11 pm

Barry Bonds actually could be an option, too. He broke the home run record in 2001, and then Hank Aaron's career record in 2007, both of which were massive events. Still, though, he was also heavily tainted by scandal.

Well..., I don't think Barry Bonds should be a legendary player, even during the 2000s. Even though technically he beaten Hank Aaron's home run record with 762 home runs, he did most of them with the influence of steroids. Especially with being part of the BALCO scandal during the mid 2000s. Everyone around that time knew about him using steroids, so it was doubtful for him being a role model towards younger Giants fans. Come to think of it, not even Giants fans liked him as an athlete.

Unlike A-Rod, who had a decent fanbase with the Yankees, he was basically pictured as the No. 1 Steroids Guy in the 2000s. Nobody ever doubt that he could be indecent within the rules of Major League Baseball. Even as a person who loves looking at home run records, he disappoints me to an extent. It's no big surprise he wasn't in the Baseball Hall of Fame, since he was like a disgrace towards the MLB organization.

Basketball in the '00s is interesting because it doesn't have a clear cut dominant figure like it did in the '90s and '10s. LeBron was really just getting started and didn't hit his stride until the '10s, and Kobe Bryant won his first 3 titles with Shaq, so he wasn't even the best player on his team at the time. Allen Iverson could be in the discussion, too, but he wasn't able to win a title.

Frankly, Kobe Bryant is still like the 2000s Michael Jordan, considering there wasn't a lot of competitive players in the NBA during that decade.

Written By: 2001 on 05/29/17 at 10:03 pm

Soccer isn't that popular here but it was definitely David Beckham. I could not stop hearing about him that decade. Everyone copied his hairstyles, had him as their background photos on their computers, and when he was in the commercial for Gillette, the sales of shaving cream at the grocery store went through the roof. He was absolutely everywhere.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/29/17 at 10:23 pm

LaDainian Tomlinson was undoubtedly San Diego's biggest sports hero in the noughties. He was one of the greatest running backs in the NFL during the 06-07 season, which the Chargers should have won if not for a humiliating last-minute defeat against the Patriots. I was even at the game...never have I experienced such a degree of awkwardness at a public event.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/29/17 at 10:44 pm

Also speaking about sport icons, Tiger Woods just got arrested for a DUI ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/29/17 at 11:56 pm

Venus and Serena Williams.  8)  8)

Written By: tv on 06/19/17 at 1:27 am

Football: Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Michael Strahan, Marvin Harrison, and Tom Brady.

Basketball: Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Steve Nash, and Tim Duncan.

Baseball: Derek Jeter.

Golf: Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

NASCAR: Jimmie Johnson(5 straight point championships from 2006-2010), and Tony Stewart.

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/07/17 at 11:33 am

Football: Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Michael Strahan, Marvin Harrison, and Tom Brady.

Basketball: Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Steve Nash, and Tim Duncan.

Baseball: Derek Jeter.

Golf: Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

NASCAR: Jimmie Johnson(5 straight point championships from 2006-2010), and Tony Stewart.
Not so sure about that, Peterson was drafted in 2006 or 07, can't remember for sure. I know he did a lot in his short time in the 2000s, but he isn't really an icon for the 2000s. More early 2010s.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/17 at 1:57 pm

Could this include pro-wrestling too? cause if it does then I would say John Cena.

Written By: 2001 on 07/07/17 at 2:32 pm

Could this include pro-wrestling too? cause if it does then I would say John Cena.

That's a good point. He was everywhere in the mid 2000s.

Ankther one is Tony Hawks in the early 2000s. Couldn't go a day without hearing that name.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 07/07/17 at 2:58 pm

As someone who knows nothing about sports, I'm not recognizing half of the names here like Allen Iverson, but Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, and Tom Brady I definitely heard mentioned a lot in the 2000's.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/07/17 at 3:45 pm

As someone who knows nothing about sports, I'm not recognizing half of the names here like Allen Iverson, but Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, and Tom Brady I definitely heard mentioned a lot in the 2000's.

Wow, you really don't know anything about sports, if you've never heard of Allen Iverson. Granted, he's not as famous as Kobe, Tiger or Tom but he was HUGE back in the '00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...