inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Choose Your Top 5 Favorite Songs Of 2000?

Written By: Bab2781 on 05/29/17 at 2:43 pm

#1. The Real Slim Shady
#2. Last Resort
#3. Party Up (Up In Here)
#4. One Step Closer
#5. Shake It Fast

Subject: Re: Choose Your Top 5 Favorite Songs Of 2000?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/29/17 at 4:22 pm

1. "One Step Closer" by Linkin Park
2. "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down (although, it was actually released in 1999)
3. "With Arms Wide Open" by Creed.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/29/17 at 4:29 pm

Just reading that list of songs made me smile. I really do miss 8th grade so much. Probably my favorite school year of all time!

I like all of those songs, but the two I like the most retroactively are Ms. Jackson by OutKast and It Wasn't Me by Shaggy.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/29/17 at 5:01 pm

1. Californication
2. With Arms Wide Open
3. The Real Slim Shady
4. Oops!...I Did It Again
5. Absolutely (Story Of A Girl)

Frankly, this is not the greatest collection of songs from 2000, although the vast majority of my favorite hits from that year were only popular in the UK. In fact, I'm going to just list my personal top 20 from 2000 in order to express my love for the year in music:

1. Absolutely Everybody / Vanessa Amorosi
2. More Than I Needed to Know / Scooch
3. Black Coffee / All Saints
4. I'm Outta Love / Anastacia
5. Pure Shores / All Saints
6. Day and Night / Billie Piper
7. Trouble / Coldplay
8. When I Said Goodbye / Steps
9. I'm Over You / Martine McCutcheon
10. The Best Is Yet to Come / Scooch
11. Natural / S Club 7
12. Californication / Red Hot Chili Peppers
13. Silence (Airscape Remix) / Delerium feat. Sarah McLachlan
14. Lucky / Britney Spears
15. Rock DJ / Robbie Williams
16. 2 Faced / Louise
17. Graduation (Friends Forever) / Vitamin C
18. Pardon Me / Incubus
19. For Sure / Scooch
20. Gotta Tell You / Samantha Mumba

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 5:15 pm

Oh, the year 2000 (the year I turned 1):

#1. "One Step Closer" by Linkin Park
#2. "Real Slim Shady" by Eminem
#3. "Oops!...I Did It Again" by Britney Spears
#4. "Californication" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
#5. "Rollin'" by Limp Bizkit

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/29/17 at 10:18 pm

15. Rock DJ / Robbie Williams

"Rock DJ" was a pretty big hit in Australia as well. Seriously, how the hell wasn't it a hit in the US, especially considering the fact that Take That's "Back For Good" reached the Top 10 on the Billboard charts and other UK acts, such as Oasis and Blur were having chart success (in the US) as well.

The same goes for "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus as well. It boggles the mind that "Teenage Dirtbag" did not even chart in the US. That's incredible!  :o It was a hit in so many countries around the world, but it never charted in it's home country. Those two songs really are, at least in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and other European countries, two of the most quintessential songs released in the year 2000. America really baffles me sometimes. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3y9llDXuM

Written By: #Infinity on 05/30/17 at 1:47 am

"Rock DJ" was a pretty big hit in Australia as well. Seriously, how the hell wasn't it a hit in the US, especially considering the fact that Take That's "Back For Good" reached the Top 10 on the Billboard charts and other UK acts, such as Oasis and Blur were having chart success (in the US) as well.

The first reason is that America has atrocious taste in music. They passed on most of the scrumptious pop and eurodance that made it big everywhere else, yet allowed snap music to constantly dominate the charts during the second half of the 2000s.

The second reason is that Robbie Williams was not particularly successful when he released The Ego Has Landed, a compilation featuring tracks from his first two solo albums, in the United States in 1999. "Millennium" and "Angels" did okay on the airplay charts, but Williams wasn't achieving anywhere near the level of success he was in the rest of the world and few people actually bought Ego. I think by the Y2K era, mainstream America wasn't interested in such allusive lyrics from a singer whose style frequently wavered between britpop-rock and pop. Because of this, Sing When You're Winning and all of his subsequent albums were not really promoted in the United States; 2005's Intensive Care almost wasn't even released in America at all! "Teenage Dirtbag" was at least a hit on the Alternative chart in the United States, peaking at #7; "Rock DJ" only peaked at #24 on the Hot Dance Club Play, a nearly completely irrelevant chart for measuring song popularity, anyway.

Also, even though Take That's "Back for Good" was a success in the United States in 1995, it did not translate to Americans actually buying the group's Nobody Else, by then already their third album, and so RCA didn't release "Never Forget," "Sure," and "How Deep Is Your Love" as singles in the United States at all, even though all three were #1 hits in the UK. The exact same fate happened to Eternal, which had a solid hit in America with "Stay" but abandoned the United States when Always & Forever failed to push units; S Club 7, who never cracked the American charts except with "Never Had a Dream Come True" in 2001 (though some people knew them through their shows, including my younger sister); All Saints, who scored huge with "Never Ever" and achieved moderate success with "I Know Where It's At" but got no further promotion in the US due to poor sales for their first album; and Sugababes, who scored hit after hit after hit in their native UK but only ever made a splash in the United States with "Hole in the Head," a decent hit on the Mainstream Top 40 but an utter flop on the Hot 100, and which never led to lucrative album showings.

It's pretty amazing how the members of Take That have been famous for a quarter of century – their first big hit was a cover of "It Only Takes a Minute" in mid-1992, and they just had a #13 single in "Giants" earlier this year! – and yet they were only ever a one-hit wonder in the United States. In fact, "Back for Good" doesn't even feature Robbie on lead at all; the entire main melody is given to Gary Barlow instead.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/30/17 at 9:44 am

The same goes for "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus as well. It boggles the mind that "Teenage Dirtbag" did not even chart in the US. That's incredible!  :o It was a hit in so many countries around the world, but it never charted in it's home country. Those two songs really are, at least in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and other European countries, two of the most quintessential songs released in the year 2000. America really baffles me sometimes. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3y9llDXuM

You know, even though Teenage Dirtbag wasn't a huge hit in the United States, it was actually a fairly popular song among kids at that time, despite the fact that it didn't get as much airplay on MTV as other songs did. At least, it was popular in my school. I even knew a few kids that had some Wheatus CD's.

Check for new replies or respond here...