inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bronze Age Nick (2005/6-2009) thread

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/29/17 at 3:34 pm

Example of Bronze age Nick:
wHstaSIKerY

Based on Zelek's thread on the silver age of Nick, I've really wanted to do a thread based on late 2000s Nick. Despite being more modern in terms of quality, it was really different compared to the modern age of Nickelodeon. Even though the bronze age of Nickelodeon wasn't certainly the best, it was still good in terms of advertising and programming. Especially since it was around the time before the channel started to air cringy memes everywhere.

They still had shows like Spongebob, Fairy odd Parents, My Life as a Teenage Robot, iCarly and Drake & Josh. They also had obscure shows like Back at the Barnyard, Tak and the Power of Juju, Making Fiends, Mr. Meaty, The Mighty B, El Tigre, and The Xs.

So post your nostalgia, whether you hated it or loved it.

Subject: Re: Bronze Age Nick (2005/6-2009) thread

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/29/17 at 3:50 pm

I didn't like this era of Nick much. This was when they really started to get obnoxious with the Spongebob reruns, as well as the advertising getting stupider and more annoying, plus terrible shows like Naked Brothers Band, Tak and the power of juju, and Back at the Barnyard (I liked the movie though, it's a guilty pleasure of mine).

But there were a few redeemable factors. Season 2 of Avatar was one of the best seasons in animation, period. And El Tigre was a decent show. The Xs was meh, but the villain, Glowface, was awesome.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/29/17 at 4:02 pm

I didn't like this era of Nick much. This was when they really started to get obnoxious with the Spongebob reruns, as well as the advertising getting stupider and more annoying, plus terrible shows like Naked Brothers Band, Tak and the power of juju, and Back at the Barnyard (I liked the movie though, it's a guilty pleasure of mine).

But there were a few redeemable factors. Season 2 of Avatar was one of the best seasons in animation, period. And El Tigre was a decent show. The Xs was meh, but the villain, Glowface, was awesome.

Frankly, the Bronze Age of Nick wasn't really my favorite either. If anything, I'll rather choose the later years of the Silver Age (late 2004-mid 2006 imo) than the Bronze Age. But any era with the classic Splat logo is way better than what we have now.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/29/17 at 4:04 pm

Though this is an unpopular opinion, I sort of liked Mr. Meaty as a kid. I also remembered playing their Treasures of the Deep game and scoring more than 3500 in it (I have been playing the game for more than ten years).

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/29/17 at 4:15 pm

Though this is an unpopular opinion, I sort of liked Mr. Meaty as a kid. I also remembered playing their Treasures of the Deep game and scoring more than 3500 in it (I have been playing the game for more than ten years).

I didn't really care for Mr. Meaty. I only watched like a few episodes and I thought it was okay at best. It reminded me of Jack's Big Music Show as a kid, due to the puppetry being a bit similar. Although, it looked more gross seeing it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/29/17 at 4:26 pm

This was officially the first Nickelodeon Age that I was way too old to watch.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/29/17 at 4:59 pm

Frankly, the Bronze Age of Nick wasn't really my favorite either. If anything, I'll rather choose the later years of the Silver Age (late 2004-mid 2006 imo) than the Bronze Age. But any era with the classic Splat logo is way better than what we have now.

I definitely agree with the statement in bold.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/30/17 at 2:08 am

I think this commercial break represents the essence of Bronze Age Nick a little bit better:

GNDqDoJvgGI

I was in 4th grade at the time, and I'm not gonna lie it does evoke massive amounts of nostalgia. This was also relatively early within the Bronze Age, thus the quality of the network was still VERY strong with Fairly Odd Parents still in its pre-Poof phase, Jimmy Neutron, Avatar, and Danny Phantom were still on the air, and the live action shows at the time were solid (arguably some of the best in Nick's history) like Drake & Josh and Zoey 101.

I would say that 2005/2006 were overall still decent years for the network, however like Zelek said by the end of 2006 and especially during the late 2000's Nickelodeon essentially became the 'Spongebob Network'.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/30/17 at 2:41 am

You're on the money.

2006 from what I remember, wasn't really a bad year for Nick, nor a great one. It was just a "there" year. Shows like Naked Brothers Band hadn't gotten there yet, but it was becoming filled with too much Spongebob reruns. Though it did have the last season of Jimmy Neutron, Avatar book 2 (best season in animation period, some would argue), and some good Spongebob season 4 episodes like Krusty Towers to counterbalance it.

2007 was when the decline became really noticeable I think.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think 2007 was around the last time I watched Nick regularly, so that says something

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/30/17 at 2:47 am

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think 2007 was around the last time I watched Nick regularly, so that says something

By the time the Naked Brothers Band became a show in 2007, Nick was widely made fun of in my school. Whereas before, it was all the rage among schoolyard kids.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/30/17 at 6:09 am

You're on the money.

2006 from what I remember, wasn't really a bad year for Nick, nor a great one. It was just a "there" year. Shows like Naked Brothers Band hadn't gotten there yet, but it was becoming filled with too much Spongebob reruns. Though it did have the last season of Jimmy Neutron, Avatar book 2 (best season in animation period, some would argue), and some good Spongebob season 4 episodes like Krusty Towers to counterbalance it.

2007 was when the decline became really noticeable I think.

This is why I consider the silver age of Nick to end around late 2006. The fact that we still had Jimmy Neutron, less Spongebob reruns and that NKB wasn't a show yet still made it a Silver Age year in 2006. It wasn't a complete Silver Age year, but like you said it wasn't that questionable towards its quality compared to the late 2000s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/30/17 at 9:18 am

I think this commercial break represents the essence of Bronze Age Nick a little bit better:

GNDqDoJvgGI

I was in 4th grade at the time, and I'm not gonna lie it does evoke massive amounts of nostalgia. This was also relatively early within the Bronze Age, thus the quality of the network was still VERY strong with Fairly Odd Parents still in its pre-Poof phase, Jimmy Neutron, Avatar, and Danny Phantom were still on the air, and the live action shows at the time were solid (arguably some of the best in Nick's history) like Drake & Josh and Zoey 101.

I would say that 2005/2006 were overall still decent years for the network, however like Zelek said by the end of 2006 and especially during the late 2000's Nickelodeon essentially became the 'Spongebob Network'.

I actually remember most of those commercials. They did give a warm feeling to me inside.

Your assessment of Nick is correct though.

Check for new replies or respond here...