inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the '00s the final hurrah of the rock era?

Written By: bchris02 on 05/30/17 at 5:16 pm

Most people who complain about '10s music lament the decline of rock influence in Top 40.  While I think there is much more that is wrong with '10s music aside from that, they do have a valid point.  After about 2010, very few rock songs have went anywhere in Top 40.  There has been plenty of underground and indie rock being produced, but nothing with mass appeal.

Do you think the end of Post-grunge in 2010 with "September" by Daughtry signaled the final hurrah of the rock era?  Or do you foresee rock making a comeback?  While musical trends do cycle, jazz never returned to the mainstream after it was phased out in favor of rock in the 1950s.  It has remained popular with its niche audience, like rock will for the foreseeable future, but the jazz/swing era is long gone and despite several attempts at a revival, they have never been able to pull it off.

Do you see rock going down the same trajectory, or is this just a blip on the radar?

Subject: Re: Were the '00s the final hurrah of the rock era?

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/30/17 at 5:38 pm

2008 is when rock declined.

Written By: Heinz57 on 05/30/17 at 5:45 pm

Rock started going into the sh1ts in the late 70s and gradually worsened until the middle 1990s

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/30/17 at 5:47 pm

Hopefully, rock could have a comeback in the 2020s. Not a lot of people now are amused with the lack of rock music in this decade, so there could be some ideas that can be revive the rock/metal genre. The least we could do now is hope for a new rock band to form and have other people follow the same road. I don't know if it would be as successful as it was before, but people have to give it time.

Rock started going into the sh1ts in the late 70s and gradually worsened until the middle 1990s

What kind of rock were you listening to since the late 70s?

Written By: Heinz57 on 05/30/17 at 5:54 pm

Sir Rothchild, not much to be honest, I did enjoy the new wave of the 80s , is that considered rock? I'm quite content to listen to music from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/30/17 at 6:02 pm

Sir Rothchild, not much to be honest, I did enjoy the new wave of the 80s , is that considered rock? I'm quite content to listen to music from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s

Yes, new wave is rock music.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/30/17 at 6:08 pm

I do believe that the 2000s was the final hurrah for rock music.

With the advancements in computer technology....music is becoming more and more digitized and the tastes of people in general have moved on from rock. Pop, EDM, electronica, House, etc are already popular and will remain so. The "edgier" sub genres of rock like Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Grunge, Industrial, etc will probably die out or only be popular among a few "dedicated" fans. The "softer" sub genres of rock like Alternative, Pop rock, Pop punk will probably remain and be decently popular.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/30/17 at 6:47 pm

Are you kidding? Late 70s rock was awesome. The late 70s had some of the best songs

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/30/17 at 6:53 pm

Jazz had a revival in the 80's with Sade and the abhorrent Kenny G, not to mention the big sax trend and Jazz-influenced songs like George Michael's Careless Whisper.

Written By: Heinz57 on 05/30/17 at 7:00 pm

Are you kidding? Late 70s rock was awesome. The late 70s had some of the best songs

That's your opinion only. Disco pretty much killed rock.  I lived through that period. I know

Written By: bchris02 on 05/30/17 at 7:01 pm

Jazz had a revival in the 80's with Sade and the abhorrent Kenny G, not to mention the big sax trend and Jazz-influenced songs like George Michael's Careless Whisper.

True, but it was never the force it was pre-1960.  Jazz/swing also had a short-lived revival in the late 1990s.  It wasn't a true revival though because it didn't have staying power.

If rock follows the life cycle of jazz, it will remain a mostly niche genre with occasional hits that make their way into Top 40.  That's not to say that it will take the same path though.  Rock could experience a full-fledged revival in the 2020s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/30/17 at 7:12 pm

True, but it was never the force it was pre-1960.  Jazz/swing also had a short-lived revival in the late 1990s.  It wasn't a true revival though because it didn't have staying power.

If rock follows the life cycle of jazz, it will remain a mostly niche genre with occasional hits that make their way into Top 40.  That's not to say that it will take the same path though.  Rock could experience a full-fledged revival in the 2020s.

That is true but I'd say it was still fairly significant. I am hoping a new cool style of rock makes a big comeback the upcoming decade.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/30/17 at 7:33 pm

That is true but I'd say it was still fairly significant. I am hoping a new cool style of rock makes a big comeback the upcoming decade.

I want to add that I think 'Kenny G' was to jazz what latter post-grunge i.e. Nickelback was to rock.  True jazz fans didn't like Kenny G, and most true rock fans can't stand Nickelback.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/30/17 at 8:21 pm

Well yeah, I guess. I was just wondering.

Written By: 2001 on 05/30/17 at 9:14 pm

It's mostly local now, at least the stuff my city's rock station plays.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/30/17 at 9:18 pm

It's mostly local now, at least the stuff my city's rock station plays.

You are in NYC right?

I would agree that a lot of the rock we hear today is indie/underground stuff.  If your city has a strong rock scene, I am sure a lot of local stuff gets airplay.

Written By: 2001 on 05/30/17 at 9:34 pm

You are in NYC right?

I would agree that a lot of the rock we hear today is indie/underground stuff.  If your city has a strong rock scene, I am sure a lot of local stuff gets airplay.

Ah, no, I'm in the Toronto area! You must be thinking of Reignman99. ;D

But yes, you're right, it's mostly indie. There's a couple of rock/indie festivals and that's where the artists get discovered.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/30/17 at 10:39 pm

For the mainstream, yes.  :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/30/17 at 10:56 pm

You are in NYC right?

Ah, no, I'm in the Toronto area! You must be thinking of Reignman99. ;D

But yes, you're right, it's mostly indie. There's a couple of rock/indie festivals and that's where the artists get discovered.

The confusion continues ;D ;D ;D.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/31/17 at 12:43 am

I want to add that I think 'Kenny G' was to jazz what latter post-grunge i.e. Nickelback was to rock.  True jazz fans didn't like Kenny G, and most true rock fans can't stand Nickelback.

This.

Also, in some ways, the jazz revival was like the punk revival of the 90's. Punk in the 70's was very raw much like jazz in the 50's and when both genres reemerged in the 80's/90's, they were given a poppier update.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/31/17 at 12:48 am

Weirdly enough, 2009 was the last year for the final "hurrah" of rock. Once 2010 hit, the decade left along with rock music. Mainstream-wise speaking of course.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/31/17 at 2:35 am

From a 2017 perspective, the 2000s were indeed the last hurrah for rock music. Post-Grunge was the last dominant form of rock music, as Emo and pop-rock had well and truly disappeared from the mainstream by 2009/2010. I'm not entirely convinced that technology is to blame for rock music's mainstream demise. I believe it was more to do with people becoming sick and tired of post-grunge, which had dominated music for over 15 years. It's almost as if rock music hit a stumbling block in the very Late 2000s. People weren't sure what direction rock music should go in and with post-grunge overstaying its welcome and the rise in technology, electro-pop and EDM took it's place in the mainstream.

To be fair, I don't think the charts are entirely reflective of rock music's popularity. From my experience, rock music is still very popular. I'm a massive fan of rock music (as you all know :P), but all of my friends are too and as I have mentioned in another thread, you would generally get a good response from my year group if you were to play the Foo Fighters, Blink-182, Queen or Cold Chisel. One thing I've noticed, however, is that people in my year group only like rock music that was released before the start of this decade. Seriously, you don't hear anyone talk about liking any new 2010s rock bands or anything that has been released this decade, which is probably more reflective of the fact that there is a lack of rock on the Top-40 charts, rather than them simply not liking new rock music.

Believe it or not, rock music was actually named as being the most consumed music genre in the US in 2014 and 2015. I think streaming is responsible for rock music's lack of presence on the Top-40 charts, especially when you consider that anyone can upload a song to YouTube (of any genre) and it can become an instant hit. Also, changes in radio format occurred towards the end of Late 2000s, due to the decline in CD sales and the rise of streaming. If you were to discount streaming from the Top-40 charts and only counted CD sales and song downloads, I think rock would have more of a presence on the charts. For instance, here in Australia, Tame Impala's albums have debuted at #1 on the album charts, but the majority of the singles have only peaked as low as #75-#85 on the charts. This does not imply that the songs are simply not popular, but rather that the Top-40 charts are not necessarily reflective of what songs are popular.

I believe rock music can make a complete return to the mainstream, however these things need to happen:

* A new sub-genre of rock music has to enter the mainstream. A possible re-emergence of post-grunge, new wave etc. will not be beneficial for the genre and won't take rock music into a new direction.

* New bands need to enter the mainstream.

* This is unlikely, but streaming should be discounted from the Top-40 charts.

If two of these three possible outcomes were to occur, I believe rock music will return to the mainstream. It is possible and i'm hopeful that it will happen sometime in the 2020s.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/31/17 at 9:42 am

I hope it does come back and I think it's very possible.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/17 at 10:54 am

From a 2017 perspective, the 2000s were indeed the last hurrah for rock music. Post-Grunge was the last dominant form of rock music, as Emo and pop-rock had well and truly disappeared from the mainstream by 2009/2010. I'm not entirely convinced that technology is to blame for rock music's mainstream demise. I believe it was more to do with people becoming sick and tired of post-grunge, which had dominated music for over 15 years. It's almost as if rock music hit a stumbling block in the very Late 2000s. People weren't sure what direction rock music should go in and with post-grunge overstaying its welcome and the rise in technology, electro-pop and EDM took it's place in the mainstream.

To be fair, I don't think the charts are entirely reflective of rock music's popularity. From my experience, rock music is still very popular. I'm a massive fan of rock music (as you all know :P), but all of my friends are too and as I have mentioned in another thread, you would generally get a good response from my year group if you were to play the Foo Fighters, Blink-182, Queen or Cold Chisel. One thing I've noticed, however, is that people in my year group only like rock music that was released before the start of this decade. Seriously, you don't hear anyone talk about liking any new 2010s rock bands or anything that has been released this decade, which is probably more reflective of the fact that there is a lack of rock on the Top-40 charts, rather than them simply not liking new rock music.

Believe it or not, rock music was actually named as being the most consumed music genre in the US in 2014 and 2015. I think streaming is responsible for rock music's lack of presence on the Top-40 charts, especially when you consider that anyone can upload a song to YouTube (of any genre) and it can become an instant hit. Also, changes in radio format occurred towards the end of Late 2000s, due to the decline in CD sales and the rise of streaming. If you were to discount streaming from the Top-40 charts and only counted CD sales and song downloads, I think rock would have more of a presence on the charts. For instance, here in Australia, Tame Impala's albums have debuted at #1 on the album charts, but the majority of the singles have only peaked as low as #75-#85 on the charts. This does not imply that the songs are simply not popular, but rather that the Top-40 charts are not necessarily reflective of what songs are popular.

I believe rock music can make a complete return to the mainstream, however these things need to happen:

* A new sub-genre of rock music has to enter the mainstream. A possible re-emergence of post-grunge, new wave etc. will not be beneficial for the genre and won't take rock music into a new direction.

* New bands need to enter the mainstream.

* This is unlikely, but streaming should be discounted from the Top-40 charts.

If two of these three possible outcomes were to occur, I believe rock music will return to the mainstream. It is possible and i'm hopeful that it will happen sometime in the 2020s.

Yeah, the only way that we will ever see rock make a true comeback as a major mainstream player is for a new genre with new artists to enter the mainstream. What's happening to rock right now is the same thing that would've happened in the '90s if the alternative explosion had not occurred in 1991 and 1992. Could you image how dead rock would've been by 1997 if it was still the same bands from the '80s producing the same songs?

What rock needed was something new to have come along around 2010 or 2011 when Post-Grunge was getting tired to give the entire genre a boost going into this decade, and it just didn't happen unfortunately.

I guess a lot of it will come down to what the next decade is like. If the 2020's become kind of an edgy reaction to the cheesy pop that dominated the mainstream in the 2010's, then I could see rock make a comeback in a big way.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/31/17 at 5:13 pm

What's happening to rock right now is the same thing that would've happened in the '90s if the alternative explosion had not occurred in 1991 and 1992. Could you image how dead rock would've been by 1997 if it was still the same bands from the '80s producing the same songs?

It's an interesting thought. In many ways, the alternative explosion in Late 1991/1992 really did save rock music. Rock was heading in a pretty dire state in 1990 and most of 1991. It definitely had a much smaller presence on the Top-40 charts at the time. I wouldn't say that rock music was dead prior to the emergence of Grunge, but it's future wasn't too promising. Hair metal was still quite popular in 1990 and 1991, however it was clearly on the decline.  Even without the onset of Grunge, I think hair metal would have been dead by 1993. Of course, it's possible that another genre of rock could have emerged with the absence of alternative, but as you mentioned, the 90s could have turned out very differently.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/31/17 at 7:50 pm

It's an interesting thought. In many ways, the alternative explosion in Late 1991/1992 really did save rock music. Rock was heading in a pretty dire state in 1990 and most of 1991. It definitely had a much smaller presence on the Top-40 charts at the time. I wouldn't say that rock music was dead prior to the emergence of Grunge, but it's future wasn't too promising. Hair metal was still quite popular in 1990 and 1991, however it was clearly on the decline.  Even without the onset of Grunge, I think hair metal would have been dead by 1993. Of course, it's possible that another genre of rock could have emerged with the absence of alternative, but as you mentioned, the 90s could have turned out very differently.

I do agree with this.  Hair metal in 1990 and 1991 was similar to post-grunge in 2008-2010.  Still popular but on its last legs.  Had grunge not emerged, it's very likely the '90s could have been more hip-hop and dance focused than they were.  There's no way '80s hair metal bands would have kept their prime going into the Clinton era.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/31/17 at 8:48 pm

I do agree with this.  Hair metal in 1990 and 1991 was similar to post-grunge in 2008-2010.  Still popular but on its last legs.  Had grunge not emerged, it's very likely the '90s could have been more hip-hop and dance focused than they were.  There's no way '80s hair metal bands would have kept their prime going into the Clinton era.

I would include 1992 in this even.

Written By: 2001 on 05/31/17 at 10:52 pm

I was hoping "dance/electronic-rock" songs like Bright Lights by Placebo (2009) or Animal by Neon Trees (2010) would take off around then, but unfortunately it never caught on.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/01/17 at 12:36 am

I was hoping "dance/electronic-rock" songs like Bright Lights by Placebo (2009) or Animal by Neon Trees (2010) would take off around then, but unfortunately it never caught on.

There have been quite a few unique genres since the early '10s that I wished would have went somewhere but never did.  Dubsteb for instance was much shorter lived in the mainstream than I expected it to be.  A lot of alternative rock is heavily electronic, some so much so that I would hardly even call it rock.

Written By: Emman on 06/01/17 at 8:59 pm

This.

Also, in some ways, the jazz revival was like the punk revival of the 90's. Punk in the 70's was very raw much like jazz in the 50's and when both genres reemerged in the 80's/90's, they were given a poppier update.

Here's where I disagree, jazz was "raw" in the 1920s, it became very slick in the later 1930s and 1940s.

By the 1950s the most popular form of jazz was that easy listening swing pop. Jazz became experimental again in the '60s with styles like free jazz, third stream, ect and later jazz fusion/jazz funk in the '70s. Kenny G was an outgrowth of the smooth jazz that started in the late '70s and became even slicker and bland during the '80s.

Written By: annimal on 06/01/17 at 9:47 pm

Our rock station plays the same songs every day and I've become sick of it over time

Written By: Bab2781 on 06/02/17 at 9:13 am

Nowadays I feel like the best music comes from the underground scene. Now only if they could move towards the mainstream. Music might have a chance of being good again.

Check for new replies or respond here...