inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Celebrity Death Shocked You? (2000-2009)

Written By: Bab2781 on 05/30/17 at 7:15 pm

#1. John Ritter
#2. Bernie Mac
#3. Heath Ledger
#4. Patrick Swayze
#5. Steve Irwin
#6. Brittany Murphy
#7. Aaliyah
#8. Michael Jackson
#9. Jonathan Brandis
#10. Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes

Subject: Re: Which Celebrity Death Shocked You? (2000-2009)

Written By: Heinz57 on 05/30/17 at 7:23 pm

John Ritter and Michael Jackson were the top two on my list, they were unexpected deaths from talented artists that still, IMO, had more to offer to us.
I loved John Ritter. Handsome and funny.
Michael was close to my age, he was a great talent.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/30/17 at 7:29 pm

I didn't know most of these celebrities at the time of their passing, but I do remember being shocked by Bernie Mac and Steve Irwin in particular. I wasn't actually as surprised as the rest of the world about Michael Jackson because of how much of a mess his personal life was throughout the 2000s. Had I been born in the late 70s like I wish, I probably would have been caught completely off guard by Aaliyah, Left Eye, Jim Varney, and George Harrison.

I'm kind of surprised you included Bob Hope, Katherine Hepburn, and Ronald Reagan on this list because they all lived to be quite old, with the former becoming a centenarian and the latter being the longest-lived President at the time despite having been diagnosed with Alzheimers several years before his passing and hardly being a public figure after his presidency.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/30/17 at 7:45 pm

Speaking as a Boomer and a long time Beatles fan, George Harrison's death was not a shock. We all knew for quite some time that he was seriously ill. Even though towards the end his representatives were saying he was fine, we knew something was amiss. I remember waking up one morning and turning on one of the news shows and saw a picture of him. I knew immediately he was gone without having to listen to what they said. John Lennon's death in 1980, however, was a massive, numbing shock as it was such a bolt out of the blue. I have stated in another thread that I felt there was no specific event or events that signaled 'the end of the 60s", but rather they just petered out around the end of 1972. I DO think however, there were a couple of events which most definitely signaled the end of the 70s and the beginning of the 80s, and both were at the end of 1980. The assassination of John Lennon and the election of Ronald Reagan as president. It seemed like it went from the cultural 70s to the cultural 80s in the blink of an eye. Seldom has it seemed so cut and dried.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/30/17 at 7:48 pm

To me, Michael Jackson....no doubt about it. I'll never forget it....I learned of his death after coming home from the last day of 4th grade. My 10th birthday was only 2 weeks away. From his death (June 25, 2009) until just over a year later (July 2010), I was so saddened by his death that I listened to EVERY SINGLE ONE of his songs on iTunes and YouTube (even the songs he did while apart of The Jackson 5).

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/30/17 at 8:59 pm

I voted honestly Aaliyah. It was Michael Jackson that was the critical hitter though because I was old enough to comprehend it.

Michael Jackson died so unexpectedly, its like he's still present. Just sick of the public.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/30/17 at 10:52 pm

I voted honestly Aaliyah. It was Michael Jackson that was the critical hitter though because I was old enough to comprehend it.

Michael Jackson died so unexpectedly, its like he's still present. Just sick of the public.

Interesting.......

Written By: mqg96 on 05/31/17 at 12:31 am

It's not a surprise that Michael Jackson has a lot of votes, since that was shocking to almost everybody, especially my parents and others who grew up with him in his prime, but one shocking death that's not mentioned here is Coretta Scott King. I remember hearing about her death when I was in 4th grade and that was the first major death of a well known person I can recall that stunned me, but what's shocking about the parallel between MLK's death and CSK's death is that MLK was born in January, died in April. CSK was born in April but died in January. MLK was one year away from turning 40. CSK was one year away from turning 80, twice the age the MLK would have been had he survived.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/17 at 2:32 am

My celebrity death shock is not listed. Dying in 2002, Spike Milligan the British-Irish comedian, writer, musician, poet, playwright and actor. After meeting him a few times he had grown accustomed to my face.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/31/17 at 4:03 am

Steve Irwin and Peter Brock, as their deaths were completely unexpected and they passed away just four days apart. I know that you all wouldn't be familiar with them, but both Steve Irwin and Peter Brock were important celebrity figures in Australia and were well respected by the greater public. Simply put, they were legends. I'll never forget hearing of their deaths. My Dad picked me up from school on the afternoon of the 4th September 2006, and he told me that Steve Irwin had died. He had heard it on the radio while coming to pick me up and my Dad continued listening to it after I was picked up. We both couldn't believe it. Steve Irwin's passing was a massive loss for the country. In the weeks after, at least ten stingrays were found mutilated on the beaches of Queensland and their tails had all been cut off, as an act of revenge.

About a month after Steve Irwin passed, the d***head producers of South Park made an episode mocking Steve Irwin's death. The episode wasn't shown here in Australia until twelve months later, due to the amount of backlash and criticism South Park received from the public. Michael Jackson's death shocked me too and I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard of his passing, however Steve Irwin's and Peter Brock's deaths had much more of an impact for me personally.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/17 at 5:12 am

Michael Jackson, I was on the city bus coming home from work and My Mother calls me on my cell phone telling me on a somewhat crowded bus that "Michael Jackson died" and I wanted to scream out but I figured I would keep it to myself and wait till I got home.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/31/17 at 9:38 am

Michael Jackson was definitely a bit of a shock. Steve Irwin was to me as well despite the dangerous animals he was involved with.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/17 at 11:14 am

As likely the only redneck around these parts, I'll just say that my answer is without question Dale Earnhardt.

I grew up as a kid watching Earnhardt dominate the first half of the '90s. Even though I was more of a Jeff Gordon fan, I always rooted for Earnhardt, and was so happy for him when he finally won the Daytona 500 in 1998.

I'll never forget that day, February 18, 2001. It was like 9/11 in the south, but 6 months early. I watched the Daytona 500 with my dad, and we saw Earnhardt's wreck on the last lap of the race, and just assumed he would be fine. It wasn't that bad of a wreck compared to some of the other's he'd had at Daytona over the years. My parents went to town after the race, and I played my Nintendo 64 for about an hour or so. As soon as I turned the console off, the news broke on NBC that Earnhardt had died. My parents were pulling into the yard at that exact moment and I raced outside to tell my dad. The fact that he died that way, on the last lap of the Daytona 500, is still just hard to stomach, even after all these years.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 11:19 am

As likely the only redneck around these parts, I'll just say that my answer is without question Dale Earnhardt.

I grew up as a kid watching Earnhardt dominate the first half of the '90s. Even though I was more of a Jeff Gordon fan, I always rooted for Earnhardt, and was so happy for him when he finally won the Daytona 500 in 1998.

I'll never forget that day, February 18, 2001. It was like 9/11 in the south, but 6 months early. I watched the Daytona 500 with my dad, and we saw Earnhardt's wreck on the last lap of the race, and just assumed he would be fine. It wasn't that bad of a wreck compared to some of the other's he'd had at Daytona over the years. My parents went to town after the race, and I played my Nintendo 64 for about an hour or so. As soon as I turned the console off, the news broke on NBC that Earnhardt had died. My parents were pulling into the yard at that exact moment and I raced outside to tell my dad. The fact that he died that way, on the last lap of the Daytona 500, is still just hard to stomach, even after all these years.

You killed me with that ;D ;D ;D.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/17 at 11:23 am

You killed me with that ;D ;D ;D.

It's true. I grew up watching NASCAR and listening to country music, so that makes me a redneck.

I didn't vote for Donald Trump like the rest of them, though! ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 11:33 am

It's true. I grew up watching NASCAR and listening to country music, so that makes me a redneck.

I didn't vote for Donald Trump like the rest of them, though! ;D

Well, I listened to bit country music growing up....does that make me half a redneck? ;D

Yeah, you said that you didn't vote for Trump. I think you said you voted for Gary Johnson? Or am I wrong?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/17 at 11:40 am

Well, I listened to bit country music growing up....does that make me half a redneck? ;D

Yeah, you said that you didn't vote for Trump. I think you said you voted for Gary Johnson? Or am I wrong?

Sure, there's plenty of rednecks in New York. It's just that most of them live in the Upstate. ;)

Actually, I don't think I ever said who I voted for on here, but you're right, I did vote for Johnson. I wasn't really super excited about him either, but I'm kind of a contrarian when it comes to voting. Going against the grain is kind of my thing.

Seriously, my record of who I've supported politically over the years has been unbelievably varied. These are the people I supported in every election that I've followed closely.

2004: Bush
2008: Obama
2012: Johnson
2016: Johnson

You probably won't find a lot of people, especially from Georgia, with that kind of voting history!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 11:44 am

Sure, there's plenty of rednecks in New York. It's just that most of them live in the Upstate. ;)

Actually, I don't think I ever said who I voted for on here, but you're right, I did vote for Johnson. I wasn't really super excited about him either, but I'm kind of a contrarian when it comes to voting. Going against the grain is kind of my thing.

Seriously, my record of who I've supported politically over the years has been unbelievably varied. These are the people I supported in every election that I've followed closely.

2004: Bush
2008: Obama
2012: Johnson
2016: Johnson

You probably won't find a lot of people, especially from Georgia, with that kind of voting history!

You're right that most rednecks from NY live Upstate ;) ;D.

That is a unique voting history for a Georgian. Going against the grain, huh? So, what would you say your political ideology is? (thread is going off topic but that's OK ;D).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/17 at 11:57 am

That is a unique voting history for a Georgian. Going against the grain, huh? So, what would you say your political ideology is? (thread is going off topic but that's OK ;D).

My political ideology has changed a lot over the years. As a high schooler, I was pretty much a conservative. I supported the Iraq War, and supported Bush big time over Kerry in 2004. Then, during Bush's second term, my politics changed dramatically. After the Hurricane Katrina debacle and the Iraq War went south, I became a huge liberal in college. I supported Obama over Hillary in the Democratic primaries in 2008, and then hugely over McCain. I voted for Johnson in 2012 as a protest because I didn't think Obama had gone far enough with the things he said he would do. I hated all the candidates in 2016 and voted for Johnson again as a protest, but would've voted for Hillary if I'd been in Michigan or Wisconsin to keep Trump from winning.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 12:01 pm

My political ideology has changed a lot over the years. As a high schooler, I was pretty much a conservative. I supported the Iraq War, and supported Bush big time over Kerry in 2004. Then, during Bush's second term, my politics changed dramatically. After the Hurricane Katrina debacle and the Iraq War went south, I became a huge liberal in college. I supported Obama over Hillary in the Democratic primaries in 2008, and then hugely over McCain. I voted for Johnson in 2012 as a protest because I didn't think Obama had gone far enough with the things he said he would do. I hated all the candidates in 2016 and voted for Johnson again as a protest, but would've voted for Hillary if I'd been in Michigan or Wisconsin to keep Trump from winning.

OK, that's interesting.

So, do you still identify as liberal? (I know liberal is a bad word and especially in the parts of Georgia outside of Atlanta).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/17 at 12:17 pm

OK, that's interesting.

So, do you still identify as liberal? (I know liberal is a bad word and especially in the parts of Georgia outside of Atlanta).

I'm not as liberal as I was 9 or 10 years ago, but I still lean that way on many issues. There are other areas where I'm a bit more libertarian, which is why I was able to support Johnson, but I'm not anti-government like most libertarians are.

And, yes, liberal is a bad word in many areas around where I live. I used to drive by a guy's house every day on the way to college that had a huge sign in his yard that said We Support President George W. Bush. Now he has a sign like that for Trump!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 12:28 pm

I'm not as liberal as I was 9 or 10 years ago, but I still lean that way on many issues. There are other areas where I'm a bit more libertarian, which is why I was able to support Johnson, but I'm not anti-government like most libertarians are.

And, yes, liberal is a bad word in many areas around where I live. I used to drive by a guy's house every day on the way to college that had a huge sign in his yard that said We Support President George W. Bush. Now he has a sign like that for Trump!

OK, thanks for sharing (it's nice to hear political views from a person in the rural/small town South that is contrary to the normal).

As you already know, I'm a liberal and my views are typical for most people from NYC. However, I'm not an SJW and I don't think everything is racist and I rarely get offended (it's pretty hard to get me offended....I will stop a convo but I'm not a offended in 99% of cases). If I could I have voted last year, it would have been for Hillary (obviously in NY...it wouldn't have made a difference but still....I wouldn't want to not vote). Hillary would have won New York even without NYC.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/17 at 12:45 pm

OK, thanks for sharing (it's nice to hear political views from a person in the rural/small town South that is contrary to the normal).

As you already know, I'm a liberal and my views are typical for most people from NYC. However, I'm not an SJW and I don't think everything is racist and I rarely get offended (it's pretty hard to get me offended....I will stop a convo but I'm not a offended in 99% of cases). If I could I have voted last year, it would have been for Hillary (obviously in NY...it wouldn't have made a difference but stilll....I wouldn't want to not vote). Hillary would have won New York even without NYC.

Yeah, the SJW thing does go way too far at times. It seems like it's really gotten out of hand in the last few years. That's not to say that people didn't get offended by things when I was in college, but not to the extent that we see today. I read a story recently about students at Iowa University being offended because the school's mascot was a hawk. That would certainly have gotten you laughed at when I was in college!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 12:55 pm

Yeah, the SJW thing does go way too far at times. It seems like it's really gotten out of hand in the last few years. That's not to say that people didn't get offended by things when I was in college, but not to the extent that we see today. I read a story recently about students at Iowa University being offended because the school's mascot was a hawk. That would certainly have gotten you laughed at when I was in college!

Yeah, you're right. That's ridiculous.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/31/17 at 4:23 pm

Most of them live in the most rural areas in New York. Thankfully, I don't live anywhere near them, but that's the thing with other states. A lot of rednecks live in rural areas because of their political and social opinions.  :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 4:35 pm

Most of them live in the most rural areas in New York. Thankfully, I don't live anywhere near them, but that's the thing with other states. A lot of rednecks live in rural areas because of their political and social opinions.  :P

Yeah, also the amount of rednecks here in NY isn't as high as in Arkansas for example.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/31/17 at 4:39 pm

Yeah, also the amount of rednecks here in NY isn't as high as in Arkansas for example.

Yeah and that's pretty decent for New York, in my opinion. We have more suburban areas than we have rural areas populated by die-hard rednecks.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/31/17 at 9:54 pm

I would say the only part of Georgia that's pro-liberal is Atlanta, there's many liberal areas in Atlanta I tell ya, but the rest of Georgia mile for mile is pro-Republican and pro-conservative.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 10:08 pm

I would say the only part of Georgia that's pro-liberal is Atlanta, there's many liberal areas in Atlanta I tell ya, but the rest of Georgia mile for mile is pro-Republican and pro-conservative.

I agree with you (mostly). However, there are few other pro-liberal areas in Georgia like Athens and Augusta.

http://i.imgur.com/EQQaRYo.png
http://i.imgur.com/Ke0xuka.png

However, yes of course. Georgia is a red state.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/17 at 5:17 am

I remember hearing about John Ritter in 2003 and his death was shocking to me cause before his death I used to watch "8 Simple Rules". :\'(

Written By: Setemstraight on 06/01/17 at 8:52 am

Michael Jackson most definitely followed by Steve Irwin and John Ritter

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/01/17 at 4:20 pm

*Aaliyah
*Anna Nicole Smith
*Michael Jackson
*Isaac Hayes
*Heath Ledger
*Brittany Murphy
*Bernie Mac
*Patrick Swayze
*Steve Irwin

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/01/17 at 4:26 pm

*Aaliyah
*Anna Nicole Smith
*Michael Jackson
*Isaac Hayes
*Heath Ledger
*Brittany Murphy
*Bernie Mac
*Patrick Swayze
*Steve Irwin

Wow, same here.

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/17 at 4:41 pm

I remember hearing about John Ritter in 2003 and his death was shocking to me cause before his death I used to watch "8 Simple Rules". :\'(

I remember thinking "he probably got fired" before learning the sad truth.  :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 06/01/17 at 5:20 pm

Michael Jackson. I know it shouldn't shock me, but he was also Michael Jackson, if you know what I mean, larger than life.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/17 at 7:33 am

I remember thinking "he probably got fired" before learning the sad truth.  :\'(

and I also wondered what would become of his character? :(

Written By: tv on 06/19/17 at 12:49 am

I think Aaliyah's death was the most shocking. She was so young at 21 or 22 years old and had her whole her life ahead of her. I myself had taken her death as hard news.

I also thought Brittany Murphy's death was shocking. She was young like 28 years old I think.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/19/17 at 1:01 am

I think Aaliyah's death was the most shocking. She was so young at 21 or 22 years old and had her whole her life ahead of her. I myself had taken her death as hard news.

I also thought Brittany Murphy's death was shocking. She was young like 28 years old I think.

Aaliyah was 22 and Brittany was 32 at the time of their deaths.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/19/17 at 1:02 am

Same here. My family and I were fans of her music especially since she was one of my sister's idols, and it was awful to see her gone :\'(

Written By: Howard on 06/19/17 at 5:14 am

I was sad to hear Brittany died from a drug overdose at such a young age.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...