inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Timelessness of the 2000s

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/18/17 at 12:59 pm

I really see why 2000-2006 is considered the classic 2000s. I really wanted this thread to be "Timelessness of The Early-mid/classic 2000s" but I guess that's a bit unfair. As for me though, I'm still sticking to the early and mid portion of the decade.

I guess what I'm trying to make of this topic, the sound of the music I listen to from that era is as timeless as timeless can get. That's probably the reason its hard for me to comprehend realizing how long ago then is.

Lets talk about this.

Subject: Re: The Timelessness of the 2000s

Written By: John Titor on 06/18/17 at 2:10 pm

I really see why 2000-2006 is considered the classic 2000s. I really wanted this thread to be "Timelessness of The Early-mid/classic 2000s" but I guess that's a bit unfair. As for me though, I'm still sticking to the early and mid portion of the decade.

I guess what I'm trying to make of this topic, the sound of the music I listen to from that era is as timeless as timeless can get. That's probably the reason its hard for me to comprehend realizing how long ago then is.

Lets talk about this.

The 2000s are not really timeless ,you can tell it was an era,  Pop punk in movies/tv shows the fashion etc, timelessness is more something that never gets old, like a chanel dress thats black etc, never the less I agree with you in saying 2006 is the cut off date for classic

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/18/17 at 3:19 pm

"Timeless"? No way, the 2000s, especially the "classic era" is overflowing with dated cheese. Not to say cheese is bad.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/18/17 at 7:55 pm

The 2000s are not really timeless ,you can tell it was an era,  Pop punk in movies/tv shows the fashion etc, timelessness is more something that never gets old, like a chanel dress thats black etc, never the less I agree with you in saying 2006 is the cut off date for classic

Yeah. Hence why I choose "timelessness" for the thread's topic. I was trying something new with this topic that centers around the sound of the era.

The 2000s are brilliantly timeless to me from a technological stand point and music.
"Timeless"? No way, the 2000s, especially the "classic era" is overflowing with dated cheese. Not to say cheese is bad.

"Timelessness"

Written By: bchris02 on 06/18/17 at 10:28 pm

Hmm...the 2000s had some cheese but it was nothing compared to the '80s.  The '10s are simply too serious which is why the '00s seem cheesy in comparison.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/21/17 at 8:10 pm

I don't think it's timeless. It's rather cheesy as hell, especially with the Web 2.0 creativity. The Web 3.0 era (which started around the early 2010s) made it obsolete towards people who were more comfortable with computers. Not to mention that most things from the 2000s were made when watching TV was normal to a lot of people. Now everybody just gets their information from either YouTube or Netflix, which is really sad.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/17 at 8:15 pm

I don't think it's timeless. It's rather cheesy as hell, especially with the Web 2.0 creativity. The Web 3.0 era (which started around the early 2010s) made it obsolete towards people who were more comfortable with computers. Not to mention that most things from the 2000s were made when watching TV was normal to a lot of people. Now everybody just gets their information from either YouTube or Netflix, which is really sad.

I disagree...watching TV is still normal to people. However, a lot of people today get their info from Twitter or Facebook not YouTube or Netflix.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/21/17 at 8:18 pm

I disagree...watching TV is still normal to people. However, a lot of people today get their info from Twitter or Facebook not YouTube or Netflix.

Video wise, they still get it from YouTube. Text wise, they get it from Twitter or Facebook. What I meant to say is that Internet TV is more mainstream than cable TV nowadays, which has people caring more about YouTubers than channels like NBC and CBS that existed since the 1930s/1940s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/17 at 8:21 pm

Video wise, they still get it from YouTube. Text wise, they get it from Twitter or Facebook. What I meant to say is that Internet TV is more mainstream than cable TV nowadays, which has people caring more about YouTubers than channels like NBC and CBS that existed since the 1930s/1940s.

I would say that cable TV still has the edge over "Internet TV" even though that edge is slim and decreasing as time goes on.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/21/17 at 8:36 pm

Watching TV is not in anymore... Everyone is on YouTube now. Back in the 2000s I was constantly glued to the TV and now I just sometimes glance on it for the news sometimes. YouTube has replaced television for my entertainment and it's really all I need. In other words, it is absolutely easy to live without cable TV these days and many young people don't, this was clearly not the case in the 2000s.... I'm not sure how you didn't notice this. The decline of TV is right in your face and has happening for a while now. Ask a kid if they have cable and they probably won't even know what that means.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/17 at 8:38 pm

Watching TV is not in anymore... Everyone is on YouTube now. Back in the 2000s I was constantly glued to the TV and now I just sometimes glance on it for the news sometimes. YouTube has replaced television for my entertainment and it's really all I need. In other words, it is absolutely easy to live without cable TV these days and many young people don't, this was clearly not the case in the 2000s.... I'm not sure how you didn't notice this. The decline of TV is right in your face and has happening for a while now. Ask a kid if they have cable and they probably won't even know what that means.

That's to you personally. You don't represent an entire population of MILLIONS (and even BILLIONS) of people.

I would say that cable TV still has the edge over "Internet TV" even though that edge is slim and decreasing as time goes on.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/21/17 at 8:39 pm

The 2000s can be seen as timeless because they didn't have a strong and clear identity as the 1980s or even the 1990s had.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/21/17 at 8:40 pm

That's to you personally. You don't represent an entire population of MILLIONS (and even BILLIONS) of people.

Young people are way more often on the internet than they are on the TV.... Older people and elders MAY be on the TV more, but my parents sure as hell use the internet far more often. Are you stuck in 2006?  ;D I'm surprised to hear this coming from you because you are a young person.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/17 at 8:42 pm

Young people are way more often on the internet than they are on the TV.... Older people and elders MAY be on the TV more, but my parents sure as hell use the internet far more often. Are you stuck in 2006?  ;D I'm surprised to hear this coming from you because you are a young person.

Since you were blind the first time......

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/21/17 at 9:07 pm

This is what I was talking about in my previous post. I never saw a time where countless people are more obsessed with anything Internet related than TV. Now we get our everyday entertainment from websites that have desktop and mobile support. Cable TV now is just starting to fade out. I mean, several channels are starting to make trends out of Internet memes for crying out loud (e.g. Nickelodeon). Our current president of the United States is using his tweets as official White House statements, which clearly means something.

Nothing like this happened around ten years ago. Yeah, YouTube, Facebook, and even Twitter existed at the time. However, they were more like alternative standards than actual informative products. It was more user generated than a way of corporations into getting more money. The average child now recognizes YouTube more than a single cable TV channel. Especially when they watch their stuff on tablets or smartphones, than television sets.

The age of where people normally TV is already deteriorating. People who used to watch TV regularly remembered a time before YouTube and Netflix took over their lives. I was one of those people and I'm only 17 and a half. I remember where I used to love watching cable TV and even got upset if my family's TV service is down. Now I just get most of my entertainment from certain YouTube channels on a daily basis, even though it's not as valuable as cable TV. In the next decade or two, we'll probably have no kid recognize any sort of cable TV at all. They'll just see it as obsolete, just like how today's children see VHS tapes and floppy disks as obsolete.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/17 at 3:06 pm

don't forget Yahoo and MSN too.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/17 at 3:08 pm

TV was in back in the late 70's and early to mid 1980's.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/25/17 at 12:00 pm

Some users don't really.. understand the timelessness aspect of the 2000s I'm trying to outline.

sul16s0VSzs

This is an example of a 2000s timeless song. Everything about it, the lyrics, the video. It dose everything right with no efforts. Underrated and timeless. Just because its cheesy doesn't mean it doesn't have what it takes.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/25/17 at 2:08 pm

Some users don't really.. understand the timelessness aspect of the 2000s I'm trying to outline.

sul16s0VSzs

This is an example of a 2000s timeless song. Everything about it, the lyrics, the video. It dose everything right with no efforts. Underrated and timeless. Just because its cheesy doesn't mean it doesn't have what it takes.

What exactly is "timeless" about that video? Give specifics.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/25/17 at 3:09 pm

What exactly is "timeless" about that video? Give specifics.

If you watched the video, I don't know how be more specific. To rephrase, timelessness. Not timeless.

You would have had to seen it at its debut to see it now. There are music out that will stick with you. I know you can relate to this.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/25/17 at 3:24 pm

If you watched the video, I don't know how be more specific. To rephrase, timelessness. Not timeless.

You would have had to seen it at its debut to see it now. There are music out that will stick with you. I know you can relate to this.

I watched the video hours ago....you still didn't explain the "timelessness" of it.

Timelessness means "not restricted to a particular time or date", "Independent of time; eternal". I even searched up when that song came out and it's from 2002. To me, that song and video perfectly fits within 2002 (also, 2003) but it doesn't fit past (or before) the early 2000s....there's no "timelessness" about it. People will look back on that video and always connect it to 2002 or the early 2000s in general but that's not what timelessness means. Unless you have an alternate definition of timelessness?

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/25/17 at 3:31 pm

sul16s0VSzs

I'm sorry, but the song is so quintessential to the early 2000s. Even the music videos screams 2002, as N.O.R.E was wearing a Montreal Expos jacket, where they are known as the Washington Nationals since 2005. Sure, they were wearing retro MLB jackets as well, but it still screams 2002 throughout the video.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/25/17 at 3:49 pm

sul16s0VSzs

I get what you're saying. There seems to be many songs from the '00s that doesn't quite fit with the decade's sound so they will sound timeless later on. That's a good example of it and I can think of a few more. There are also a couple songs that sound distinctly '00s but not as many.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/25/17 at 4:40 pm

I get what you're saying. There seems to be many songs from the '00s that doesn't quite fit with the decade's sound so they will sound timeless later on. That's a good example of it and I can think of a few more. There are also a couple songs that sound distinctly '00s but not as many.

Thank you, man. The video is colorful and the beat is ageless.

I was really trying to develop a topic that has a different discussion for once. Everything has to be decadeology with this site.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/25/17 at 9:41 pm

There were dozens of songs in the 00's that sound just like that song. The melody is typical early 00's flair while the beat doesn't sound out of place in a Ludacris or TI
late 00s song.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/25/17 at 9:45 pm

There were dozens of songs in the 00's that sound just like that song. The melody is typical early 00's flair while the beat doesn't sound out of place in a Ludacris or TI
late 00s song.

Yeah, I agree.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/25/17 at 11:01 pm

Would these two count?

GxBSyx85Kp8

H64QG4UsrGI

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/26/17 at 8:58 am

Would these two count?

Especially Yeah by Usher. The song's beat is definitely extensive.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/20/17 at 10:49 pm

Especially Yeah by Usher. The song's beat is definitely extensive.
I agree! In fact, I hear that song every other day, and it doesn't sound outdated despite it being old.

Here are some more songs that could be timeless.

0tcDXJfAFVw

fw7gEeA7bjM

ViwtNLUqkMY

MrCsubL_OSQ

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/21/17 at 12:13 am

Question

What was your age Jan 1, 2000 to Dec 31, 2007?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/21/17 at 12:32 am

Question

January 1st, 2000 - 9 months old and 19 days.

December 31st, 2007 - 8 years, 9 months and 18 days.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/21/17 at 7:47 am

Question

Jan. 1, 2000: 5 months and 19 days old.

Dec. 31, 2007: 8 years, 5 months and 18 days old.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/21/17 at 8:31 am

I agree! In fact, I hear that song every other day, and it doesn't sound outdated despite it being old.

Here are some more songs that could be timeless.

Always On Time by Ja Rule is definitely timeless. Happy by Ashanti is noticeably still going strong. Slow Jamz by Kanye West and Twista isn't really timeless though. Its just purely 2003. Crazy In Love can be exceptional.

Written By: 2001 on 07/21/17 at 9:10 am

Question

Almost 7 at the beginning of 2000, and 14 (almost 15) by the end of 2007.

I can't believe 2007 was 10 years ago.  :(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/21/17 at 10:55 am

Question

January 1, 2000 - 12 years, 5 months, 21 days old

December 1, 2007 - 20 years, 5 months, 20 days

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/21/17 at 6:09 pm

I think these could count as well.

3ArhZPYplFk

9UCY_U4QwqI

GeZZr_p6vB8

yn_6LC4loY8

2EwViQxSJJQ

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/17 at 7:31 pm

2EwViQxSJJQ

This song sounds dated as hell to me.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/21/17 at 7:33 pm

This song sounds dated as hell to me.
How?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/17 at 7:39 pm

How?

I don't know, it just doesn't sound modern and sounds more than 10 years old. It just has a very dated sound. I heard it on the radio a couple days ago right after a modern song and I immediately noticed the difference like night and day. It already hasn't aged well after 10 years :P

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/21/17 at 8:44 pm

I think these could count as well.

I agree with Where The Party At. Its one of those 2000 videos I can really tell. Haha Like You by Bow Wow, Ciara is another one. When I compare the sounds with Excuse Me Miss and Irreplaceable, I can tell Like You is more timeless.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/17 at 3:52 pm

I don't know, it just doesn't sound modern and sounds more than 10 years old. It just has a very dated sound. I heard it on the radio a couple days ago right after a modern song and I immediately noticed the difference like night and day. It already hasn't aged well after 10 years :P
Well, I hear the song from time to time, and it doesn't sound dated to me at all. In fact, it's still relevant because no one is irreplaceable when it comes to a relationship.

I agree with Where The Party At. It's one of those 2000 videos I can really tell. Haha Like You by Bow Wow, Ciara is another one. When I compare the sounds with Excuse Me Miss and Irreplaceable, I can tell Like You is more timeless.
Yeah, I agree with that. I actually heard that song recently and it doesn't sound out of place.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/22/17 at 4:08 pm

Well, I hear the song from time to time, and it doesn't sound dated to me at all. In fact, it's still relevant because no one is irreplaceable when it comes to a relationship.

Well I was talking about the beat more than the lyrics. The acoustic feel of the song is what makes it feel very dated.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/17 at 4:12 pm

Well, I was talking about the beat more than the lyrics. The acoustic feel of the song is what makes it feel very dated.
Oh. Well, even with the acoustic beat, it still doesn't sound out of place. I hear that sound in songs that have an acoustic version.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/22/17 at 5:20 pm

I forgot to comment on Hot In Herre. The video is colorful but the song's beat can be tricky. I feel timelessness to it I guess when it depends on what time of day I listen to it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/17 at 6:32 pm

Oh. Well, even with the acoustic beat, it still doesn't sound out of place. I hear that sound in songs that have an acoustic version.

I agree with Slim95. "Irreplaceable" does sound dated. There is absolutely no song that is similar to it nowadays.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/17 at 8:15 pm

I agree with Slim95. "Irreplaceable" does sound dated. There is absolutely no song that is similar to it nowadays.
Well, there is. There are a few acoustic songs out there that sound similar to Irreplaceable. It's just difficult to find them since most people don't do those type of songs.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/17 at 8:51 pm

Some songs from 2000 sound really outdated.  :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/17 at 9:56 pm

Well, there is. There are a few acoustic songs out there that sound similar to Irreplaceable. It's just difficult to find them since most people don't do those type of songs.

Still agree with Slim95 :P.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/17 at 1:12 am

Still agree with Slim95 :P.

Thank you. I just feel that song in particular sounds very dated and has quite a classic vibe to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...