inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s African American Adolescent Culture Discussion

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/30/17 at 8:08 pm

Lets talk about 2000s African American adolescent culture appeal. To me, the 2000s era is when AA adolescent culture was at its most positive. What the energetic, youthful and carefree Hip Hop, laid back R&B, BET in its heyday, the debut of Proud Family, Friday After Next, the ambition to be "tight" and imitate the styles of their favorite music artists of that time, car obsessions, ribbing jokes and drumming against desks, etc in school. Even the beefs in Hip Hop of the 2000s were more actually entertaining, colorful and less negative as 50 Cent added playfulness to it.

This topic might still have some of my bias into it because I'm leaving the definition of positive AA culture to the early-mid 2000s. The rest of the details I'm possibly missing I leave to you because I really don't know. Haha I'll add though, the peak of positive AA culture to me begin in the late 90s with Aaliyah, Usher and Bad Boy. This is my belief.

Subject: Re: 2000s African American Adolescent Culture Discussion

Written By: Escondudo on 07/21/17 at 12:14 am

Although I love the 2000-2006 period, it didn't have the most positive adolescent African American culture. I'd say that it was during the early 1990s. Watch The Fresh Prince, A Different World, or a Kid n' Play film for clues on their optimism and pride. There wasn't pressure to act "gangster", despite living the early stages of gangster rap's popularity.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/17 at 7:14 am

Although I love the 2000-2006 period, it didn't have the most positive adolescent African American culture. I'd say that it was during the early 1990s. Watch The Fresh Prince, A Different World, or a Kid n' Play film for clues on their optimism and pride. There wasn't pressure to act "gangster", despite living the early stages of gangster rap's popularity.

cause back in the early 1990's African American culture was innocent.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/21/17 at 10:42 am

I totally agree with this. I actually watched House Party (1990) and House Party 2 (1991) last week and they depicted adolescent and college age African American culture so positively (for the most part) and with tons of pride.

Check for new replies or respond here...