inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is 2008 beloved or hated ?

Written By: John Titor on 07/11/17 at 8:10 pm

What is the verdict?

I am starting to ease up on this year.

Subject: Re: Is 2008 beloved or hated ?

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/11/17 at 8:40 pm

Honestly, why do we need more threads on 2008? Who really cares about whether or not the year was good? Sure, there was the Great Recession, which affected a lot of people in the world (not that I know of). But some people had a different perspective of the year, like me. I was only a child when the year happened (I was 8 in January 1-December 20th, 9 in December 21st-December 31st) and my family didn't get hit so hard from the recession. Especially since I stole my mom's debit cardand almost gave away $3000 to Dell. We were still fine when my mom called Dell and told them to return the laptop and give her a refund, considering I was only 8 years old when I did it.

People loved the 70s, but the decade went through three miserable U.S. presidents, one of the worst oil crises, many people dying in the Vietnam War (as it was already a problem in the late 60s) and one of the most tragic political revolutions in the Middle East (the Iranian Revolution). People might think of the same thing with 2008, when it's being more nostalgic in about a few years (I say maybe 2019-2021). I'm really sick and tired of seeing this as a recurring topic in this website.

Written By: John Titor on 07/11/17 at 8:46 pm

Honestly, why do we need more threads on 2008? Who really cares about whether or not the year was good? Sure, there was the Great Recession, which affected a lot of people in the world (not that I know of). But some people had a different perspective of the year, like me. I was only a child when the year happened (I was 8 in January 1-December 20th, 9 in December 21st-December 31st) and my family didn't get hit so hard from the recession. Especially since I stole my mom's credit hard and almost gave away $3000 to Dell. We were still fine when my mom called Dell and told them to return the laptop and give her a refund, considering I was only 8 years old when I did it.

People loved the 70s, but the decade went through three miserable U.S. presidents, one of the worst oil crises, many people dying in the Vietnam War (as it was already a problem in the late 60s) and one of the most tragic political revolutions in the Middle East (the Iranian Revolution). People might think of the same thing with 2008, when it's being more nostalgic in about a few years (I say maybe 2019-2021). I'm really sick and tired of seeing this as a recurring topic in this website.

omg relax man

Written By: #Infinity on 07/11/17 at 9:01 pm

I'd say they hate it obviously, due to the onset of the Great Recession and the culture being quite mediocre across the board.

Written By: Fearsword on 07/12/17 at 7:35 am

The
Honestly, why do we need more threads on 2008? Who really cares about whether or not the year was good? Sure, there was the Great Recession, which affected a lot of people in the world (not that I know of). But some people had a different perspective of the year, like me. I was only a child when the year happened (I was 8 in January 1-December 20th, 9 in December 21st-December 31st) and my family didn't get hit so hard from the recession. Especially since I stole my mom's credit hard and almost gave away $3000 to Dell. We were still fine when my mom called Dell and told them to return the laptop and give her a refund, considering I was only 8 years old when I did it.

Yeah everyone's fixation with the yer is really annoying. I think they should give it a rest for while. Although I see it being talked about a lot more next year since it will be 10 years old then with all the 10th anniversary commemorations of all the big events that year.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/12/17 at 10:22 am

It's weird but I always seem to compare where I am now in life to how far 2008 is. I gotta admit I'm guilty of this weird fixation on this particular year as well. What I can't believe is that it was nearly a decade ago! It was the last year of my childhood and I kind of miss it so I'd say it's beloved to me anyway.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/12/17 at 2:32 pm

For me, my personal life was kind of fun.

Pop culturally, music was horrible.

Written By: 2001 on 07/12/17 at 7:08 pm

I loved early-mid 2008. The spring and summer especially has many beautiful memories for me. Late 2008 was probably the darkest period of my life though.

For pop culture, I love everything from the summer onwards. That's when the electropop era was starting. My favourite :D A lot of great video games too, although no 2007 or 2009.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/13/17 at 3:37 pm

It is pretty hated. My personal life from that year was fine though.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/17/17 at 11:08 am

2008 was a year I loved at the time, but as we move farther from it I look back at 2009 more fondly.  2008 was really the last "classic" year in my life.  In 2008, I still felt more connected to my teenage years than the present.  Looking back at 2009, I feel that is more connected with my present than anything that had come before.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/17/17 at 11:54 pm

I was going through an emotional rollercoaster during 2008. I was adulting so badly that I moved back with my parents and we were not on good terms the first couple of months while I was there. I was also going through maybe the worst depression I've ever gone through before. On the other hand, I could feel the music culture changing for the better. I did not like 2007. The music from 2007 that I liked become popular in 2008. The presidential primaries and election were fun because I was never a fan of George Bush and it was nice to finally see the general culture take finally go against him so decisively during the election season. I remember hearing I Kissed a Girl and Poker Face and realizing that a change in culture was coming.

All in all, 2008 had its ups and downs but I'm leaning towards the positive.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/17 at 12:35 am

A crazy year for the news.  :P  :P  :-X

Written By: Escondudo on 07/24/17 at 7:30 pm

Hated it, but I would have loved it if Hillary Clinton had won the Democratic Presidential nomination. So close... ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 7:32 pm

Hated it, but I would have loved it if Hillary Clinton had won the Democratic Presidential nomination. So close... ;)
Were you able to vote that year?

Written By: Escondudo on 07/24/17 at 7:37 pm

Yep. It was a wild contest.

Were you able to vote that year?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 7:52 pm

Yep. It was a wild contest.
Are you close to 30 by any chance?

Written By: Escondudo on 07/24/17 at 8:11 pm

Not too far off. Why do you ask?

Are you close to 30 by any chance?

Written By: wixness on 07/24/17 at 8:20 pm

Aside from the fall of rock, the financial crisis and a few things from today I like, I'd like 2008 to come back.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 8:56 pm

Not too far off. Why do you ask?

Well you voting in 2008 somewhat gives your age away. That means you're between 26 and 29. Honestly,  I thought you were much younger. No offense man.

Written By: Escondudo on 07/24/17 at 8:58 pm

Not offended at all. Just curious.  :P

Well you voting in 2008 somewhat gives your age away. That means you're between 26 and 29. Honestly,  I thought you were much younger. No offense man.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 9:00 pm

Well they could be exactly 30 too like me, I first voted in a presidential election in 2008 when I was 21 and I just turned 30. I did vote in the 2006 midterms though too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 9:10 pm

Not offended at all. Just curious.  :P

How did you feel voting that year? I bet it was intense.

Well, they could be exactly 30 like me, I first voted in a presidential election in 2008 when I was 21 and I just turned 30. I did vote in the 2006 midterms though too.
Well he just said he's not far away from 30. He could either be 28 or 29.

Written By: Escondudo on 07/24/17 at 9:10 pm

Or older. I never said 2008 was my first election. Lol

Well they could be exactly 30 too like me, I first voted in a presidential election in 2008 when I was 21 and I just turned 30. I did vote in the 2006 midterms though too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 9:14 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That means you could have first voted in 2000 or 2004. 

Written By: Escondudo on 07/24/17 at 9:15 pm

The primary was much more exciting than the general because it was the closest in history, and everyone knew that the Democratic candidate would win because Bush was so unpopular. McCain ended up getting close, but that was before Palin became Palin and the market crashed.

How did you feel voting that year? I bet it was intense.
Well he just said he's not far away from 30. He could either be 28 or 29.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 9:15 pm

Oh yeah true LOL.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 9:24 pm

The primary was much more exciting than the general because it was the closest in history, and everyone knew that the Democratic candidate would win because Bush was so unpopular. McCain ended up getting close, but that was before Palin became Palin and the market crashed.

Yeah, I agree! The 2008 primaries were interesting since it was between the first black (although Obama is biracial) and the first female president.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 9:26 pm

The 2008 primaries are now almost 10 years ago...scary.  :o I can't believe 10 years later we ended up with President Donald Trump, but that's how things go I guess.  :-\\

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 9:36 pm

The 2008 primaries are now almost 10 years ago...scary.  :o I can't believe 10 years later we ended up with President Donald Trump, but that's how things go I guess.  :-\\
I know. It was like yesterday the 2008 primaries were happening. Now, they're old.

Yeah, I know. The prediction after Obama was that Hillary was going be next, but the 2016 election proved that wrong due to a number of unnecessary factors. 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 9:44 pm

I can get to vote next year in 2018 midterms. Also, this year in the 2017 NYC mayoral race.

However, my first Presidential election won't be until 2020 :\'(.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 9:45 pm

I can get to vote next year in 2018 midterms. Also, this year in the 2017 NYC mayoral race.

However, my first Presidential election won't be until 2020 :\'(.

2020 is gonna be an important one too, you'll get to help remove Trump from office. Realistically he's probably not going to be impeached tbh, so 2020 is when he actually can be kicked out.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 9:49 pm

2020 is gonna be an important one too, you'll get to help remove Trump from office. Realistically he's probably not going to be impeached tbh, so 2020 is when he actually can be kicked out.
Well he still could pull a Nixon, and leave office.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 9:51 pm

Well he still could pull a Nixon, and leave office.

Yeah he may get sick of it and resign. Though his ego is probably to big to quit it seems.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 9:55 pm

That is true.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 10:07 pm

Yeah, he may get sick of it and resign. Though his ego is probably too big to quit it seems.
I hope he gets to a point where he will get sick of it and resign. He's not meant for any political position.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 10:13 pm

Did anyone Trump's speech in West Virginia today at the Boy Scouts Jamboree? It was absolutely insane. He really is batsh*t crazy. He was talking about how he met business people at parties in NYC and how the media is "fake news"......to children....at a Boy Scouts event. Trump is a complete clown...I can't wait until he's gone.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 10:15 pm

Did anyone Trump's speech in West Virginia today at the Boy Scouts Jamboree? It was absolutely insane. He really is batsh*t crazy. He was talking about how he met business people at parties in NYC and how the media is "fake news"......to children....at a Boy Scouts event. Trump is a complete clown...I can't wait until he's gone.

He shames this entire nation every day he holds the office.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 10:19 pm

He shames this entire nation every day he holds the office.

Absolutely.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 10:22 pm

In the 2030s when people look back on the 2010s they're all gonna look back at the 2016 election of Trump and think "WTF were people thinking back then"?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 10:25 pm

In the 2030s when people look back on the 2010s they're all gonna look back at the 2016 election of Trump and think "WTF were people thinking back then"?

Yeah and that's sad. In the 2030s, I'll be in my 30s and turn 40 at the end of the decade. I will have teenage children and they'll probably ask me that. I'll just say "I couldn't vote and I supported Hillary" :P.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/24/17 at 11:20 pm

I don't think people will care because Trump will be probably be dead by that time and the youth of 20 years in the future probably won't know who he he was.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/17 at 11:24 pm

Yeah, it's time for him to go. He's a bad influence on people.

Yeah, I bet that question is going to be asked multiple times, but it could happen in the next decade,

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 11:26 pm

I don't think people will care because Trump will be probably be dead by that time and the youth of 20 years in the future probably won't know who he he was.

Unfortunately, Trump will definitely be remembered.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/24/17 at 11:28 pm

Unfortunately, Trump will definitely be remembered.

Yeah Trump will be infamous as the worst president ever. He won't be forgotten.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/24/17 at 11:39 pm

Yeah Trump will be infamous as the worst president ever. He won't be forgotten.

Yep.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/17 at 6:58 am

Yeah he may get sick of it and resign. Though his ego is probably to big to quit it seems.

You mean Trump? ???

Written By: bchris02 on 07/25/17 at 10:09 am

I live in a town where everyone loves Trump.  Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't support him.  People like his retarded speeches because it makes people around here feel like he's one of them (uneducated, ignorant, etc).  Most people support him because they hate Obama for having let "men in womens restrooms" and having lit the White House in rainbow colors.  Honestly, I am so sick of it.  I want out of this hellhole but what do I do?

I am really worried about things going off a cliff between now and 2020.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/25/17 at 10:28 am

I live in a town where everyone loves Trump.  Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't support him.  People like his retarded speeches because it makes people around here feel like he's one of them (uneducated, ignorant, etc).  Most people support him because they hate Obama for having let "men in womens restrooms" and having lit the White House in rainbow colors.  Honestly, I am so sick of it.  I want out of this hellhole but what do I do?

I don't know man. All of you have to do is tough it out until 2020 or just boldly try to leave and try to make it on your own. Otherwise, nothing else I can tell you.

Written By: wixness on 07/25/17 at 11:43 am

Something the online conservative and anti-SJW media conveniently ignore even though they pose themselves as bastions of logic and fair governance

Written By: 2001 on 07/25/17 at 12:17 pm

I lol'd, but that's really just sad.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/25/17 at 12:34 pm

Something the online conservative and anti-SJW media conveniently ignore even though they pose themselves as bastions of logic and fair governance

Yeah, I know.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/17 at 12:44 pm

I genuinely don't like Trump. I know I joke a lot around this forum about 'Left', 'Right', 'Social Justice Warriors', and 'political correctness', but I honestly think he's a pompous pig. I also think don't think he's a good representative, or example, of how a Republican, or a 'conservative', should be.

I get that a chunk of the population is tired of over sensitivity, and word policing, but come on, Trump isn't the guy to go against all that.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/29/17 at 7:52 pm

2008 is when I started sorta liking mainstream music again. I enjoyed songs like:

American Boy - Estelle
A Milli - Lil Wayne
Womanizer - Britney Spears
Shut Up and Let Me Go - The Ting Tings
Poker Face - Lady Gaga
I Will Possess Your Heart - Death Cab For Cutie

you also say good songs from 2007 get popular like

Paper Planes - MIA
Electric Feel and Time To Pretend - MGMT
DANCE - Justice

I enjoyed 2008 and the election race...especially when "my side" won! :P

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/10/17 at 10:22 pm

It was an ok year. There is no doubt that the best year of the late 00s and probably entire 2000s was 2007. It felt like the strides in great music and TV in 2007 began to lose steam in 2008, in fact 2000s culture in general was losing steam that year. And 2009 was a strange, low tech spawn of the 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/11/17 at 12:53 am

It was an ok year. There is no doubt that the best year of the late 00s and probably entire 2000s was 2007. It felt like the strides in great music and TV in 2007 began to lose steam in 2008, in fact 2000s culture in general was losing steam that year. And 2009 was a strange, low tech spawn of the 2010s.

2007 was my favourite year of the 2000s. It was actually my favourite year ever in general.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/11/17 at 4:40 am

Music-wise, it wasn't my taste.  :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/11/17 at 8:19 am

2007 was my favourite year of the 2000s. It was actually my favourite year ever in general.

2007 was also my favorite year of the 2000s. Not ever though, lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/11/17 at 3:13 pm

2007 was also my favorite year of the 2000s. Not ever though, lol.

So your favourite year ever is in the 2010s? Which year? If your favourite year isn't in the 2000s it has to be in the 2010s because you were only alive those two decades right? Mine is 2007. I've only been alive from 1995 - 2017. That's why it's my favourite year ever because it's the best year I've experienced.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/11/17 at 3:18 pm

So your favourite year ever is in the 2010s? Which year? If your favourite year isn't in the 2000s it has to be in the 2010s because you were only alive those two decades right? Mine is 2007. I've only been alive from 1995 - 2017. That's why it's my favourite year ever because it's the best year I've experienced.

There's a difference between favorite year and favorite year that I've been alive for ;).

My favorite year of the 2010s is 2012. However, 2017 has also been a great year for me personally...it's second best of the 2010s for me. No other year of the 2010s is ranked, lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/11/17 at 3:59 pm

There's a difference between favorite year and favorite year that I've been alive for ;).

My favorite year of the 2010s is 2012. However, 2017 has also been a great year for me personally...it's second best of the 2010s for me. No other year of the 2010s is ranked, lol.

Well how can a favourite year be anything else other than one you experienced? I just don't know how that's possible lol. That's why 2007 is my favourite year in general ever, it was the best year I experienced in my life. Unless we are talking about pop culture and what you know about years prior. But I was talking about my personal life, pop culturally the early 2000s were better but '07 is still my favourite year ever for me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/11/17 at 4:32 pm

Well how can a favourite year be anything else other than one you experienced? I just don't know how that's possible lol. That's why 2007 is my favourite year in general ever, it was the best year I experienced in my life. Unless we are talking about pop culture and what you know about years prior. But I was talking about my personal life, pop culturally the early 2000s were better but '07 is still my favourite year ever for me.

Early 2000s pop culture was meh to me. However, otherwise...I agree.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/11/17 at 4:53 pm

For my personal life, 2007 was also my favorite year ever aswell! :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/11/17 at 5:42 pm

For my personal life, 2007 was also my favorite year ever aswell! :)

That makes 3 of us! 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...