inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music today vs in the mid-2000s

Written By: doublejm1 on 07/14/17 at 1:28 am

How do you feel music today compares with that of the mid-2000s?

Judging from various threads on this forum in which people deride the snap/ringtone rap of 2005-2007, I assume most will say that today's music is vastly superior.

But I would beg to differ.

- The year 2005 marked the debuts of Chris Brown, Rihanna, Trey Songz, and T-Pain, who would each achieve huge access in the coming years. And just when everyone had written Mariah Carey off, she silenced her critics with "The Emancipation of Mimi."
- 2006-2007 ushered in the golden era of Timbaland, Justin Timberlake, and Nelly Furtado. They all collaborated with one another and wound up with a bevy of chart-topping hits.
- In the realm of rock, groups like Green Day, Panic at the Disco, The Fray, and Fallout Boy reigned supreme.

Sure, there are good songs on the radio these days (e.g., Chainsmokers), but music has largely taken a nosedive. In fact, I think rap/hip hop is even worse now. You can't  understand what some of these guys are saying (e.g., Future, Migos). I just don't think there are many Chris Browns and Rihannas in music today, and I must say that even their music isn't as good in 2017 as it was 10 or so years ago. It seems electronica (which I like) was more in vogue than now.

I suppose I'm a tad biased in that 2005-2007 was a very special (and consequential) period in my life. In 2005, I hooked up with my now-wife and switched majors in college, laying the foundation for the life I have today. Perhaps because of this I have a rosier outlook on the pop culture of the mid-2000s.

What about you? Do you think the music today is far superior to that of 2005-2007?

Subject: Re: Music today vs in the mid-2000s

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/14/17 at 1:48 am

Maybe its nostalgia playing its part, but I personally prefer Mid 2000s music over today's music. It may not have been the most creative period of time in mainstream music, but at least there was still diversity on the charts and it didn't feel soulless either. I think there was still a desire and motivation to put effort and a bit of creativity into new releases. It's funny that you should create this thread though, because I ironically happened to hear a few Mid-2000s songs on a radio station yesterday and I thought to myself that music was a lot better back then compared to today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLolag3YSYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZHjRQjbHrE

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/14/17 at 6:51 am

I prefer the music of today but that's just me. I personally didn't like the mid 2000's all that much for music because there just seemed to be this dark atmosphere associated with it. Maybe that was just my personal life influencing things. I respect your opinion as there definitely was good stuff back then but for me just down to my personal taste I didn't like the music from back then.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/14/17 at 7:31 am

Frankly, most mid 2000s music would always better than today's music.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/14/17 at 10:55 am

You know, there was some truly crappy music that came out between 2005 and 2007, with stuff like Nickleback and Ringtone Rap standing out particularly, but I actually do kinda like it a little bit better than music today.

What I really like is the fact that rock music was still a huge deal back then. True, some of it was garbage, but not all Emo was bad, and there was some truly kickass stuff like Franz Ferdinand and The Arctic Monkeys back then, too.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/14/17 at 11:17 am

The mid 2000s for the R&B. As what SharksFan pointed out and what Machine He@d is hinting at, I also give the mid 2000s Hip Hop a pass for their soulfulness compared to right now. The mid 2000s was also the last era to maintain stronger atmosphere in music.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/14/17 at 12:15 pm

2008 is actually one of my least favorite years for music ever. It feels like most stuff that got popular was sonically stagnant and just flat-out boring. There may have been more genre variety than now, but the songs themselves were so forgettable that it really doesn't matter. A great deal of the year's highlight tracks, like "Bleeding Love," "All Around Me," "Fascination," and "Cry for You," originally came out before 2008.

Written By: 2001 on 07/14/17 at 4:04 pm

I think I like 2017 slightly better, but I haven't been following the charts these days. But there's great and memorable music in both if you're willing to find it.  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 07/14/17 at 10:28 pm

Music from the mid 2000s was better than today. Everything just gets worse and worse as they years go on it seems.

Written By: doublejm1 on 07/17/17 at 7:58 am

OP here.

I'm actually surprised that most of those who have replied thus far have had positive things to say about mid-2000s music. I was expecting more people to be in the "music of today" camp, considering mid-2000s music generally gets a bad rap on this forum.

I realize it could be a generational thing.

As I noted above, I was in college at the time and had just begun a new relationship.

I'm sure that many people will concede that their favorite era of music coincides with a special time in their life.

I agree with the poster who said that there seemed to have been more creativity in music. Compare the songs Rihanna came out with back then -- Pon de Replay, S.O.S., Umbrella, Shut Up and Drive, Unfaithful-- to the lackluster ones she's been releasing today. Same goes for Chris Brown, who topped the charts back then with Run It, Gimme That, and Kiss Kiss. His music today seems pedestrian by comparison. We can even add Kanye to the list (Gold Digger, Touch the Sky, Good Life).

Maybe it's me, but music seemed more catchy and, as someone else said, more diverse in 2005-2007.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/17/17 at 11:12 am

OP here.

I'm actually surprised that most of those who have replied thus far have had positive things to say about mid-2000s music. I was expecting more people to be in the "music of today" camp, considering mid-2000s music generally gets a bad rap on this forum.

I realize it could be a generational thing.

As I noted above, I was in college at the time and had just begun a new relationship.

I'm sure that many people will concede that their favorite era of music coincides with a special time in their life.

I agree with the poster who said that there seemed to have been more creativity in music. Compare the songs Rihanna came out with back then -- Pon de Replay, S.O.S., Umbrella, Shut Up and Drive, Unfaithful-- to the lackluster ones she's been releasing today. Same goes for Chris Brown, who topped the charts back then with Run It, Gimme That, and Kiss Kiss. His music today seems pedestrian by comparison. We can even add Kanye to the list (Gold Digger, Touch the Sky, Good Life).

Maybe it's me, but music seemed more catchy and, as someone else said, more diverse in 2005-2007.

I was 20 in 2005 so I was the prime age for music then.

I think 2005 and 2006 were the weakest years for music during the aughts.  Things picked back up in 2007 (a very hip-hop heavy year) leading into 2008 and 2009, which were the best years for music since 2000 and 2001.  When I get nostalgic for the aughts, I tend to focus on the early '00s (2000-2003) or the late '00s (2007-2009).  The middle part of the decade is rather "meh" for me.

Interesting that you list those Rihanna songs as being "creative."  Back in the mid '00s, those songs were typically used to exemplify what was wrong with Top 40.

I completely agree on what you say regarding your favorite era of music coinciding with a special time in your life.  For me, that's why I love the late '00s and early '10s so much.

Written By: aspireone on 07/17/17 at 4:12 pm

I frankly dislike mid 00s music. Every top 40 song felt dull and boring.

Today's music is dull and boring and is less diverse, but at least it's not mid 00s dull and boring.

Written By: doublejm1 on 07/17/17 at 4:19 pm

Interesting that you list those Rihanna songs as being "creative."  Back in the mid '00s, those songs were typically used to exemplify what was wrong with Top 40.

Not sure why...

Umbrella was "the" song of 2007 -- it really propelled Rihanna's career. "Good Girl Gone Bad" has been one of her most commercially successful albums.

The songs she's coming out with now -- Work, Love on the Brain -- fall flat in my book, though I know it may be a simple matter of taste.

It seems she, Chris Brown, Beyonce, and others in the genre embraced pop/electronica in the mid-2000s, but went decidedly urban around 2013. Sure, they may team up with, say, Calvin Harris or David Guetta for a song here and there, but they're clearly trying to appeal to a different audience these days.

I kinda miss listening to T-Pain on autotune; he fell off the map. Hopefully Justin Timberlake will come out with something similar to FutureSex/LoveSounds in the near future, which I think has been his best album to date.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/17/17 at 4:38 pm

The truth is as time goes on people miss the music from the past more and more. In the future people will miss music from the mid 2010s, mainly by those who are children now. It's just the way it is. It is very difficult to actually measure quality because music is so subjective. But it seems most people miss music as time goes on for nostalgic purposes. I can't deny that's why I miss 2000s music, even if I know it wasn't the best.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/17/17 at 5:18 pm

I kinda miss listening to T-Pain on autotune; he fell off the map. Hopefully Justin Timberlake will come out with something similar to FutureSex/LoveSounds in the near future, which I think has been his best album to date.

I agree.  T-Pain had a sound that was distinctly mid/late '00s.  "Blame It On the A-a-a-alcohol" was probably my favorite song by him.  He was pretty popular as late as 2009 but fell off the map quickly after the decade change.

It is interesting how we are nostalgic for autotune today.  It was highly criticized and disliked by "real music" fans back when it was popular.

Written By: wixness on 07/17/17 at 5:38 pm

Bland and trying to sound too grown up, at least with the 2010s until 2016 or so compared with the mid-2000s. Things probably started looking different then, or I haven't been paying to music as much then (thank God offline music is still a thing, because I have a small data tariff and I'm too cheap for Spotify Premium).

Written By: doublejm1 on 07/18/17 at 8:07 am

I agree.  T-Pain had a sound that was distinctly mid/late '00s.  "Blame It On the A-a-a-alcohol" was probably my favorite song by him. 

That was a good song. I think it was a Jamie Foxx song that featured T-Pain.

Here's an observation I've made when comparing mid-2000s music to that of today:

In the mid-2000s, it was largely the urban/hip hop artists (Chris Brown, Rihanna, Beyonce, T-Pain, Mariah Carey, Akon, Nelly, etc.) who were coming out with pop/dance/electronica-heavy songs.

The landscape is markedly different today, where you have pop artists (Selena Gomez, Bieber, Demi Lovato, Taylor Swift, etc.) in that domain.

As I noted earlier, you will get a dance song every now and then featuring, say, Nicki Minaj, but that isn't their bread-and-butter by any means.

I went to a Chris Brown concert in Sept 2015. I was expecting him to sing "Kiss Kiss" and other great dance/pop hits he's released over the years. Instead, I got a steady diet of rap and hip hop songs. 

Another observation: The bands of the mid-2000s (Good Charlotte, All American Rejects, The Fray) have all but disappeared.
It's amazing that Fallout Boy is still kicking.

Here are some other noteworthy songs of the mid-2000s that haven't been mentioned:

- I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic at the Disco
- Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's
- You're Beautiful - James Blunt
- Bad Day - Daniel Powter
- Over My Head - The Fray
-  Don't Stop The Music - Rihanna
- World Hold On - Bob Sinclar
- Cupid's Chokehold - Gym Class Heroes
- Pimpin All Over the World - Ludacris
- Slow Down - Bobby Valentino
- Like a Boy - Ciara
- Summer Love/SexyBack/LoveStoned- Justin Timberlake
- Apologize - One Republic
- The Way I Are - Timbaland

If you asked me who dominated from 2005-2007, I would say:
- Rihanna
- Chris Brown
- T-Pain
- Kanye West
- Nelly Furtado
- Justin Timberlake
- Timbaland

To me, there's no denying that there was better music and more talent in the mid-2000s than today. Unfortunately, though, the T-Pains of the world have been supplanted by the Drakes and Futures.

Any others you'd add to the list?

Written By: bchris02 on 07/18/17 at 10:24 am

I still find it funny that people are praising mid '00s music.  For the longest time, it was perceived to be much lower quality than what came before in the early '00s or what came later in the electropop era.

This is probably the quintessential mid '00s song.

3NXBgSCSrIk

Written By: doublejm1 on 07/18/17 at 10:12 pm

This is probably the quintessential mid '00s song.

3NXBgSCSrIk

It didn't load/appear on my end. What song is it?

Written By: 2001 on 07/18/17 at 10:15 pm

It didn't load/appear on my end. What song is it?

It's Laffy Taffy.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/17 at 10:21 pm

I prefer today's music. The 00's was a suckfest.  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/18/17 at 11:58 pm

I think that today's music is way better than the music in the mid 00's, I mean come on there was a lot of absolute crap music during that time.  I mean like apart from the songs which make me nostalgic for my childhood.

Written By: doublejm1 on 07/19/17 at 12:24 pm

It's Laffy Taffy.

Ha, who could forget that one?

If I were to pick a mid-2000s anthem -- the song I feel best captured that era -- it would be Umbrella by Rihanna or Buy You A Drank by T-Pain. Those were huge hits, not the ringtone rap everyone loved to hate.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/19/17 at 1:43 pm

I think that today's music is way better than the music in the mid 00's, I mean come on there was a lot of absolute crap music during that time.  I mean like apart from the songs which make me nostalgic for my childhood.

I agree.  Music turned better in 2007.  I think 2007 was an excellent, hip-hop heavy year for music.  2005 and 2006 though were garbage except for a few songs.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/19/17 at 4:16 pm

If I were to pick a mid-2000s anthem -- the song I feel best captured that era -- it would be Umbrella by Rihanna or Buy You A Drank by T-Pain. Those were huge hits, not the ringtone rap everyone loved to hate.

In Da Club by 50 Cent is the mid 2000s anthem for me, and the anthem for the 2000s in general in my opinion.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/19/17 at 5:53 pm

Both of those songs are more late '00s than mid '00s, both being popular in 2007 primarily.  Here are some true mid '00s anthems.  These definitely capture the feel of that era.

T9Op2YQ7yyU

RaCodgL9cvk

6vwNcNOTVzY

c1QUv4ERvEw

Y2lylF5ogUQ

iEe_eraFWWs

w6QGe-pXgdI

9usnJPJ25e0

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/19/17 at 9:18 pm

2005 and 2006 though were garbage except for a few songs.

Nah, 2005 was a classic year for R&B, Destiny's Child for example.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/19/17 at 9:38 pm

They were well out of their classic phase in 2005.

Written By: 2001 on 07/19/17 at 9:58 pm

@bchris02 those are the kind of songs that come to mind when I think about the mid-2000s too.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/20/17 at 6:35 am

Usher's 'Yeah' for me is the ultimate mid 2000's song of that sort of genre I think

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/20/17 at 11:38 am

They were well out of their classic phase in 2005.

I disagree. Their 2004 hit, Soldier was a clever come back as if they had to sneak back into mainstream. 2005 couldn't have been a more better time to finale themselves with Cater 2 U. That's truly the end of their classic phase.

If they returned now, it literally wouldn't matter.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/20/17 at 1:34 pm

I disagree. Their 2004 hit, Soldier was a clever come back as if they had to sneak back into mainstream. 2005 couldn't have been a more better time to finale themselves with Cater 2 U. That's truly the end of their classic phase.

If they returned now, it literally wouldn't matter.

2004-05 was a "second wind" for Destiny's Child, similar to what the Circus era was for Britney Spears.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/17 at 5:32 pm

I was listening to Europe 1 (radio station) in the background, and they're more of a 'variety' station and rarely play music, but they played Shut Up by Black Eyed Peas and that made me a bit nostalgic. I hadn't heard that song in forever!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/20/17 at 10:31 pm

I would say the mid-00s was better with the exception of the ringtone/snap rap sub-genre. For one, it was still diverse. Yeah, Hip-hop and R&B were dominating the chart, but there was still a surge of Rock, country, pop-rock etc. Oh, and the mid-00s was not all ringtone/snap rap. Kanye, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, The Game, 50 Cent, Ludacris, T.I., DMX, and some others were not considered ringtone/snap rap rappers.

Now, I DO like some of the today's music; however, the important thing its lacking is the variety.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/05/17 at 5:53 am

My opinion hasn't changed, I still believe that the Mid 2000s were a better era for music than the Mid 2010s. Although, I personally think it's more of a case of which one sucked the least. Whenever I listen to a lot of songs from the Mid 2000s, I cringe at how awful they were. :P

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/05/17 at 5:57 am

Personally, I think the mid 2010s is a much better time for music than the mid 2000s. Of course there were good songs, but a lot of the songs from then were absolute crap, and a lot of the songs from then I like just because they make me nostalgic for my childhood lol.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/05/17 at 11:28 am

My opinion hasn't changed, I still believe that the Mid 2000s were a better era for music than the Mid 2010s. Although, I personally think it's more of a case of which one sucked the least. Whenever I listen to a lot of songs from the Mid 2000s, I cringe at how awful they were. :P

I think the mid '00s were a low point for music compared to the early '00s and the late '00s/early '10s.  I somewhat moved away from pop music for a bit during the mid '00s and was more into electronica (back then it was called techno or trance, not EDM). 

I think the mid '10s have been worse, but the mid '00s weren't the golden age for music that a lot of people remember, and I was prime pop music age at that time.  2006 was the worst year.  2007 and 2008 were great years for hip-hop but not so much for pop.  2009 is when things really got good again.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/05/17 at 1:21 pm

Not sure why...

Umbrella was "the" song of 2007 -- it really propelled Rihanna's career. "Good Girl Gone Bad" has been one of her most commercially successful albums.

The songs she's coming out with now -- Work, Love on the Brain -- fall flat in my book, though I know it may be a simple matter of taste.

It seems she, Chris Brown, Beyonce, and others in the genre embraced pop/electronica in the mid-2000s, but went decidedly urban around 2013. Sure, they may team up with, say, Calvin Harris or David Guetta for a song here and there, but they're clearly trying to appeal to a different audience these days.

I actually JT's 2013 album, 20/20 Experience better imo. I do overall prefer the music of mid-2000's, except for 2006. One recent Rihanna song I like however is "Work".

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/17 at 1:47 pm

I actually JT's 2013 album, 20/20 Experience better imo. I do overall prefer the music of mid-2000's, except for 2006. One recent Rihanna song I like however is "Work".

What do you think about Wild Thoughts? For some reason, that song sounds like it could have come out of the 2000s.

Written By: questoftheninja@gmail.com on 09/05/17 at 3:06 pm

the mid 2000s are definentley better than 2010s

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/29/17 at 12:02 pm

Music in the mid 2000s:
MYF7H_fpc-g

TOrnUquxtwA

Gl83mI69nX4

Music today:
3tmd-ClpJxA

WrsFXgQk5UI

weeI1G46q0o

It's pretty safe to say the last 3 years in particular haven't been very good in music trends.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/01/17 at 12:03 pm

Tbh I was born in 2002 and the only mid-2000's year I vividly remember is 2006. But I listened to some songs from 2004-2006 and songs from 2017 and I don't really have a preference. Like my playlist is a perfect mixture of songs from today and songs from the 2000's. (Mostly mid-/late 2000's)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/03/17 at 11:47 pm

I would say the variety in the mainstream. While 2017 is getting better with it, it's not on the same level as the mid 00s.

H64QG4UsrGI

c-3vPxKdj6o

elVF7oG0pQs

ac3HkriqdGQ

DUT5rEU6pqM

0DdCoNbbRvQ

VS

PEGccV-NOm8

OrSadmwmmAs

xvZqHgFz51I

iGk5fR-t5AU

8Ee4QjCEHHc

u3VTKvdAuIY

Written By: Slim95 on 10/03/17 at 11:57 pm

I would say the variety in the mainstream. While 2017 is getting better with it, it's not on the same level as the mid 00s.

H64QG4UsrGI

c-3vPxKdj6o

elVF7oG0pQs

ac3HkriqdGQ

DUT5rEU6pqM

0DdCoNbbRvQ

VS

PEGccV-NOm8

OrSadmwmmAs

xvZqHgFz51I

iGk5fR-t5AU

8Ee4QjCEHHc

u3VTKvdAuIY

Robin Thicke's song was not mid 2000s because it came out in 2007. Numerically that is part of the late 2000s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/04/17 at 1:13 am

Robin Thicke's song was not mid 2000s because it came out in 2007. Numerically that is part of the late 2000s.
Actually, it came out in 2006. I remember hearing this song all the time on the radio towards the end of the year. Maybe it came later in Canada.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/17 at 2:04 am

Actually, it came out in 2006. I remember hearing this song all the time on the radio towards the end of the year. Maybe it came later in Canada.

Dude it's not about what you remember.  ;D Read the release date online.... It got released on January 2007, so it is impossible for you to hear it in 2006 as it was released in 2007. It's been released to the world in January 30, 2007.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/04/17 at 11:46 am

Dude, it's not about what you remember.  ;D Read the release date online.... It got released on January 2007, so it is impossible for you to hear it in 2006 as it was released in 2007. It's been released to the world on January 30, 2007.
Actually, some songs can be on the radio even before its release. It could have been a preview.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/17 at 11:50 am

Actually, some songs can be on the radio even before its release. It could have been a preview.

No they can't.  ??? Release dates are used for releasing the song to an audience for the first time... Unless it's leaked or it's a snippet you can't hear a song before its release date, definitely not on the radio. And that song came out in early 2007, that's a fact. Your memories were wrong on this case as it came out in '07, not '06 and that's a fact. I'm surprised you didn't know that about release dates... I can't believe you think songs can come out before the release date, what's the point of the word? It's the first time listeners here it, so you are wrong. A song can't magically come out a year earlier just because you remember it that way.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/17 at 2:14 pm

The song came out in 2007 and it even says that it came out in 2007 online. This is fact. So you didn't hear it in 2006 and you were mistaken on that.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/04/17 at 6:56 pm

The song came out in 2007 and it even says that it came out in 2007 online. This is fact. So you didn't hear it in 2006 and you were mistaken on that.

Back then, songs didn't always debut on YouTube right on release like they do today.  You have to remember that was a pre-VEVO world.  There are quite a few songs that came out in the 2006-07 time frame that didn't officially make it to YouTube until 2009ish.  Back then, terrestrial radio played a much larger role in pop culture than it does today and it was quite common for large market radio stations to get songs up to months before mainstream release.  That actually still happens, but given the prevalence of streaming and getting music from sources other than terrestrial radio, it's not as noticeable today.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/17 at 7:03 pm

Back then, songs didn't always debut on YouTube right on release like they do today.  You have to remember that was a pre-VEVO world.  There are quite a few songs that came out in the 2006-07 time frame that didn't officially make it to YouTube until 2009ish.  Back then, terrestrial radio played a much larger role in pop culture than it does today and it was quite common for large market radio stations to get songs up to months before mainstream release.  That actually still happens, but given the prevalence of streaming and getting music from sources other than terrestrial radio, it's not as noticeable today.

Ok what are you talking about? Who the heck was talking about YouTube? I'm talking about the RELEASE DATE. What is so hard for you to understand about that? Release date means the day it came out to the world, after it was recorded. And the song came out in 2007 and that's a fact. Why are you guys twisting this around and saying something that is a fact and documented isn't? It's about  the FACTS, not who's right and wrong. And the song was released everywhere on the radio, and everywhere else in January 2007 and this has been documented for everyone to see and know, it is a fact and shouldn't be debated. Are you saying that the song magically came out in 2006? No, the song came out in 2007 obviously and was popular that year. You can't change history.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/04/17 at 10:21 pm

No, they can't.  ??? Release dates are used for releasing the song to an audience for the first time... Unless it's leaked or it's a snippet you can't hear a song before its release date, definitely not on the radio. And that song came out in early 2007, that's a fact. Your memories were wrong on this case as it came out in '07, not '06 and that's a fact. I'm surprised you didn't know that about release dates... I can't believe you think songs can come out before the release date, what's the point of the word? It's the first time listeners hear it, so you are wrong. A song can't magically come out a year earlier just because you remember it that way.

Well, I'm telling you the truth. I really DO remember hearing that song back in 2006, and it was more than once.

Back then, songs didn't always debut on YouTube right on release like they do today.  You have to remember that was a pre-VEVO world.  There are quite a few songs that came out in the 2006-07 time frame that didn't officially make it to YouTube until 2009ish.  Back then, the terrestrial radio played a much larger role in pop culture than it does today and it was quite common for large market radio stations to get songs up to months before mainstream release.  That actually still happens, but given the prevalence of streaming and getting music from sources other than terrestrial radio, it's not as noticeable today.
This! Every radio station I listen to is large market ones, and I remember some songs being played before mainstream release.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/17 at 10:24 pm

Well, I'm telling you the truth. I really DO remember hearing that song back in 2006, and it was more than once.
This! Every radio station I listen to is large market ones, and I remember some songs being played before mainstream release.

So what if you remember it? Your memory is wrong though... Did you check online to see when the song was recorded and released? Don't take my word for it... You are wrong because it's a FACT. January 2007 is when the song was released. So your memory is incorrect. Do you think I'm pulling this out of thin air? Read when it was recorded and put out...  And "mainstream release"? What the hell is the radio if it isn't mainstream?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/04/17 at 10:39 pm

So what if you remember it? Your memory is wrong though... Did you check online to see when the song was recorded and released? Don't take my word for it... You are wrong because it's a FACT. January 2007 is when the song was released. So your memory is incorrect. Do you think I'm pulling this out of thin air? Read when it was recorded and put out...

No offense but are you dumb? "Mainstream release"? What the hell is the radio if it isn't mainstream? OMG, I told you the frickin' release date of a song which was documented by the record company so people can use it for a reference to see when a song came out, and you STILL say that you heard the song in 2006? There's honestly no more help for you then... You are simply wrong, why is it so hard for you to admit? You're making up things in your head to defend your mistake like some dumb claim that "release date" doesn't mean anything and a song can magically be heard before it gets RELEASED. Do you know the definition of the word "release"? It means what it means... It's when the song is put out for YOU to hear. And you're saying by the power of your imagination a song can come out a year before because you remember it that way... This goes to both you and bchris. I am speechless.
No. I'm being honest. I recall listening to that song on the radio in 2006. When you stated the release, you said it was for the world. It could have been released here earlier than you think. Oh, and I checked the song. it was released as a digital download in 2007, but the album was released in 2006. That means people were able to listen to the song on a CD or on the radio.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/17 at 10:42 pm

No. I'm being honest. I recall listening to that song on the radio in 2006. When you stated the release, you said it was for the world. It could have been released here earlier than you think. Oh, and I checked the song. it was released as a digital download in 2007, but the album was released in 2006. That means people were able to listen to the song on a CD or on the radio.

Ok yes I checked the album thing and you are right... Apperently it was on the album which was released in 2006 so I do apologize and I deleted that post. Having said that, there's no way the song was on the radio in 2006. You could have heard it on the album, but the release date of the song as stated on the link below, is January 2007 and that's when it came out on the radio so the song was popular in 2007, not 2006. So all in all it was recorded and put on the album in 2006, but released to the mainstream in 2007. Which does ultimately make it a 2007 song. Either way I apologize as I was not aware it was on the record which was released in '06. But I was still right about it being popular and on the radio in 2007, not 2006.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Robin-thicke-lost-without-u-lyrics

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/04/17 at 10:46 pm

Ok yes I checked the album thing and you are right... Apperently it was on the album which was released in 2006 so I do apologize and I deleted that post. Having saif that, there's no way the song was on the radio in 2006. You could have heard it on the album, but the release date of the song as stated on the link below, is January 2007 and that's when it came out on the radio so the song was popular in 2007, not 2006.

But it says digital download which means it was available for people to download the song online. If an album is released, that automatically means a song can be played on the radio. I agree though it was very popular in 2007, but it had a presence towards the end of 2006.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/04/17 at 11:52 pm

Ok yes I checked the album thing and you are right... Apperently it was on the album which was released in 2006 so I do apologize and I deleted that post. Having said that, there's no way the song was on the radio in 2006. You could have heard it on the album, but the release date of the song as stated on the link below, is January 2007 and that's when it came out on the radio so the song was popular in 2007, not 2006. So all in all it was recorded and put on the album in 2006, but released to the mainstream in 2007. Which does ultimately make it a 2007 song. Either way I apologize as I was not aware it was on the record which was released in '06. But I was still right about it being popular and on the radio in 2007, not 2006.

UltraGameDog didn't say anything about the song being popular. Him and bchris are definitely correct. Radio states do play songs even before its music video release.

You were a bit cocky with your responses, man.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/17 at 11:57 pm

UltraGameDog didn't say anything about the song being popular. Him and bchris are definitely correct. Radio states do play songs even before its music video release.

You were a bit cocky with your responses, man.

No radio stations don't play songs before they are released as singles. That would make absolutely no sense at all... Popular singles are released for the purpose of them being played on the radio, so you're wrong about that. Maybe some non-mainstream radio will play it once or twice, but that's not what we're talking about. I just didn't read it correctly in it coming out on the album in 2006, and I thought the song wasn't released at all to the public before 2007, but the song was released to the radio as a single in early 2007, so on the whole it's more of a 2007 song.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/17 at 12:09 am

I just didn't read it correctly in it coming out on the album in 2006, and I thought the song wasn't released at all to the public before 2007, but the song was released to the radio as a single in early 2007, so on the whole it's more of a 2007 song.
Are you getting radio and digital downloads mixed up? It states that the song was released in early '07 as a digital download single, not it was released on the radio.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/05/17 at 12:35 am

Are you getting radio and digital downloads mixed up? It states that the song was released in early '07 as a digital download single, not it was released on the radio.

Where does it say that? "Released" means being released as a single, both on the radio and as a digital download. It's the same thing. A single won't play on the radio if it isn't already able to be purchased seperately digitally.

Written By: doublejm1 on 10/05/17 at 7:55 am

Which song are you guys bantering about? I'm guessing it's "Lost Without U"?

I remember hearing that song a lot on the radio. I don't remember if I first heard it in 2006 or 2007, but it was around the time that songs like "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley and "World Hold On" by Bob Sinclar were being played. Let's not forget "Me and U" by Cassie.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/17 at 9:28 am

Where does it say that? "Released" means being released as a single, both on the radio and as a digital download. It's the same thing. A single won't play on the radio if it isn't already able to be purchased seperately digitally.
It's says digital download under format.

I remember hearing that song a lot on the radio. I don't remember if I first heard it in 2006 or 2007, but it was around the time that songs like "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley and "World Hold On" by Bob Sinclar were being played. Let's not forget "Me and U" by Cassie.
Yeah, that's the song. I was just telling Slim I remember hearing the track in 2006, and he was making a big deal out of it.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/05/17 at 9:36 am

It's says digital download under format.
Yeah, that's the song. I was just telling Slim I remember hearing the track in 2006, and he was making a big deal out of it.

Digital download is the same thing as being released as a single... Nobody has CD singles these days, that's the only way for anything to be released on the radio.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/05/17 at 11:13 am

I actually forgot about that song until it was posted in this thread as it was never a favorite of mine and wasn't one that was played much after its initial run.  I do remember it during the first half of 2007.  I don't doubt that some large market stations could have played it in late 2006.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/05/17 at 11:32 am

Anyways I am sorry for snapping at you without doing thorough research. I just saw the song and knew I remember it from '07 as it was popular that year. I assumed it was a lead single release rather than a single that came out after the initial album release (album was released in October of 2006, late in the year).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/17 at 11:51 am

Digital download is the same thing as being released as a single... Nobody has CD singles these days, that's the only way for anything to be released on the radio.

Anyways I am sorry for snapping at you without doing thorough research. I just saw the song and knew I remember it from '07 as it was popular that year. I assumed it was a lead single release rather than a single that came out after the initial album release ( the album was released in October of 2006, late in the year).

But we're talking about a decade ago which CD singles were still popular. Anyway, I'm glad this argument is over because it was getting silly over a song from the start. The reason I posted that track (along with the others) it was to show how diverse the music scene was at that time, unlike today where almost every song is EDM influenced or trap-rap based.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/05/17 at 12:13 pm

But we're talking about a decade ago which CD singles were still popular. Anyway, I'm glad this argument is over because it was getting silly over a song from the start. The reason I posted that track (along with the others) it was to show how diverse the music scene was at that time, unlike today where almost every song is EDM influenced or trap-rap based.

I agree.  I believe in late 2006/early 2007, iTunes was still only selling their proprietary DRM music format which was a royal PITA.  I never used iTunes until they started allowing you to purchase DRM-free MP3s.  Amazon started selling DRM-free MP3s in late 2007, finally offering a hassle-free way to purchase digital music and dealing a huge blow to piracy and the CD.

Written By: doublejm1 on 10/05/17 at 12:34 pm

I remember getting my first iPod (Classic) in December 2006. That thing lasted a long time -- it finally broke this year, prompting me to buy a new one.

I agree with music being far more diverse in the mid-2000s. I hardly hear any alternative rock on Top 40/hitlist stations anymore. It's as if all the different genres are merging into one.

What happened to groups like The Fray? All American Rejects? They became big over that span. I'm also wondering what happened to guys like T-Pain, Akon, and Fabolous.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/17 at 12:55 pm

I agree.  I believe in late 2006/early 2007, iTunes was still only selling their proprietary DRM music format which was a royal PITA.  I never used iTunes until they started allowing you to purchase DRM-free MP3s.  Amazon started selling DRM-free MP3s in late 2007, finally offering a hassle-free way to purchase digital music and dealing a huge blow to piracy and the CD.
When do you think buying digital downloads became popular? I'm guessing myself it was 2009.

I remember getting my first iPod (Classic) in December 2006. That thing lasted a long time -- it finally broke this year, prompting me to buy a new one.

I agree with music being far more diverse in the mid-2000s. I hardly hear any alternative rock on Top 40/hitlist stations anymore. It's as if all the different genres are merging into one.

What happened to groups like The Fray? All American Rejects? They became big over that span. I'm also wondering what happened to guys like T-Pain, Akon, and Fabolous.
So true. I'm currently listening to most of the songs of today, and while they are great, there's still NO variety which I wish would come back.

As for the ones you mentioned, they all fell off the map as soon this decade started. I looked at 2010 charts one day, and I didn't see any artists or bands you stated. I will say T-Pain actually had a few hit songs in 2013; Fall Out Boy did as well with Centuries in 2015, and even Akon was featured in a track this year; however, their peaks were definitely the 00s.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/05/17 at 1:18 pm

The Fray had their last hit, "Never Say Never", in 2009.  They seemed to fade from popularity right along with post-grunge groups like Daughtry and Nickelback.  T-Pain, Akon, Fabolous, etc lasted a bit longer into the electropop era but all faded out of prominence well before 2013.  I consider those artists to be quintessential late '00s artists. 

Written By: doublejm1 on 10/06/17 at 10:03 am

I read an article yesterday chronicling T-Pain's meteoric rise and fall.

Apparently, autotune-- which T-Pain is credited as having introduced-- largely fell out of favor when Jay-Z came out bashing it in a song a few years ago. Even fellow rappers with whom he collaborated regularly (e.g., Kanye West) began ridiculing him for it.

What's ironic is that now autotune is suddenly popular again thanks to rappers like Future. It makes you wonder whether a similar fate awaits him, though I don't think he uses it as heavily as T-Pain did.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 6:38 pm

I read an article yesterday chronicling T-Pain's meteoric rise and fall.

Apparently, autotune-- which T-Pain is credited as having introduced-- largely fell out of favor when Jay-Z came out bashing it in a song a few years ago. Even fellow rappers with whom he collaborated regularly (e.g., Kanye West) began ridiculing him for it.

What's ironic is that now autotune is suddenly popular again thanks to rappers like Future. It makes you wonder whether a similar fate awaits him, though I don't think he uses it as heavily as T-Pain did.
Well Future is not the only one who uses it. A few other rappers use it as well. As for will, he gets criticized like T-Pain? No, I don't think so. It would take someone else to do that aside from Jay-Z (who's getting too old for a rapper these days), and the last time that happened was in 2009 with the Death of Autotune song.

Written By: prodanny288 on 10/06/17 at 9:43 pm

Hands down, mid-2000's music is a billion times better! I can't stand today's sh!tty ass music.  8-P

Written By: prodanny288 on 10/06/17 at 9:43 pm

Deleted

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 10:31 pm

Hands down, mid-2000's music is a billion times better! I can't stand today's sh!tty ass music.  8-P
What are your favorite songs from the mid 00s? :)

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/16/17 at 1:26 pm

I'd rather listen to "Laffy Taffy" 100 times before I listen to a crap trap song of today, lol

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/16/17 at 3:51 pm

I'd rather listen to "Laffy Taffy" 100 times before I listen to a crap trap song of today, lol
Me too! If you think about it, Laffy Taffy is not only a song one can dance to, but the lyrics are also hilarious as well ;D. In fact, I find it weird that track has got stuck in my head despite that I have not heard it in a long time.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/16/17 at 4:04 pm

It's interesting people are now looking back on T-Pain fondly.  In the late '00s he was considered everything that was wrong with music then.  Overproduction, auto tune, etc.  Now people are looking back on T-Pain as a relic of better days for music.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/16/17 at 4:50 pm

It's interesting people are now looking back on T-Pain fondly.  In the late '00s he was considered everything that was wrong with music then.  Overproduction, auto tune, etc.  Now people are looking back on T-Pain as a relic of better days for music.
Well, the only thing that was wrong with T-Pain was the auto tune. Aside from that, he wasn't that bad overall. He actually had some songs that were great and that folks could dance to.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/16/17 at 4:59 pm

Me too! If you think about it, Laffy Taffy is not only a song one can dance to, but the lyrics are also hilarious as well ;D. In fact, I find it weird that track has got stuck in my head despite that I have not heard it in a long time.

Its also about having fun. Happy to say I never claimed to couldn't tolerate it.

Written By: 2001 on 10/16/17 at 5:03 pm

Nostalgia is helluva drug.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/16/17 at 5:20 pm

Its also about having fun. Happy to say I never claimed to couldn't tolerate it.
That too!

Nostalgia is helluva drug.
I honestly haven't seen anyone here or on other sites reminisce about T-Pain unless the comments are from YouTube.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/15/18 at 7:10 am

Yes! When I think of 2004-2005 I think of the good R&B that was still in heavy rotation. Keyshia Cole, Destiny's Child, Amerie, Ciara, Usher, Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Anthony Hamilton, Bobby Valentino, Omarion, Mariah Carey, Tweet, Brooke Valentine, R.Kelly, Charlie Wilson, Jamie Foxx, Mario, Olivia, John Legend, Fantasia, Alicia Keys, Lyfe Jennings, Nivea, others.

When people say that the '00s had no distinct identity, are they saying it in a negative way?

Written By: Dundee on 03/15/18 at 10:38 am

2006 has always this reputation of being an incredibly bad year for music on here  :-\\. I honestly disagree, atleast it's not THAT bad in my opinion. It has several great hits that redeems it imo

utNR69wQIHw

Chasing Cars is ma guilty pleasure, OK >:(

Written By: unicornic on 03/15/18 at 10:45 am

Mid 2010s are way better hands down. 2006 sucked. ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/15/18 at 2:47 pm

I agree 100% with this. Give me 2016's music anyway over 2006 (especially when it comes to hip-hop)

Written By: John Titor on 03/15/18 at 2:48 pm

Depends on your age at the time, 2006 was AMAZING for music back then :P

Written By: ofkx on 03/16/18 at 4:01 pm

Mid 2000s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBSyx85Kp8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0habxsuXW4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH476CxJxfg

Now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsoLEjrDogU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCjNJDNzw8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHUxyXZBXY8

Today's music is a lot more fun and lively compared to the mid 2000s. I prefer today.

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/18 at 4:11 pm

Today's music is a lot more fun and lively compared to the mid 2000s. I prefer today.
Don't think "lively" would be a good term to describe. I would describe today's music as more atmospheric and rough, and a lot less glossy and maximal than it was in the mid-2000s :P Both have their charm.

Mid-2000s
H64QG4UsrGI

Late-2010s
MGYJuETPQEg

Written By: mqg96 on 03/16/18 at 4:14 pm

2006 has always this reputation of being an incredibly bad year for music on here  :-\\. I honestly disagree, atleast it's not THAT bad in my opinion. It has several great hits that redeems it imo

Yes! When I think of 2004-2005 I think of the good R&B that was still in heavy rotation. Keyshia Cole, Destiny's Child, Amerie, Ciara, Usher, Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Anthony Hamilton, Bobby Valentino, Omarion, Mariah Carey, Tweet, Brooke Valentine, R.Kelly, Charlie Wilson, Jamie Foxx, Mario, Olivia, John Legend, Fantasia, Alicia Keys, Lyfe Jennings, Nivea, others.

When people say that the '00s had no distinct identity, are they saying it in a negative way?

Here's some cheesy, fun classic CORE/MID 2000's VIBES RIGHT HERE BRUH!

UDApZhXTpH8

-3lpfYfhWmM

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/18 at 4:24 pm

Here's some cheesy, fun classic CORE/MID 2000's VIBES RIGHT HERE BRUH!

You forgot The Quintessental One  >:(
na7lIb09898

Miss Missy sssoooo much, where did she go?

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/16/18 at 10:20 pm

You forgot The Quintessental One  >:(
na7lIb09898

Miss Missy sssoooo much, where did she go?

She doesn't blend in with today's style, man. And I don't think she wants to.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/16/18 at 10:56 pm

She doesn't blend in with today's style, man. And I don't think she wants to.

She's far too creative to blend in with today's style.

Check for new replies or respond here...