inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were Pokemon Gold and Silver the Perfect Pokemon Games?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/30/17 at 3:30 pm

Okay, let's go ahead and get this out of the way first. Yes, I'm biased towards the early Pokemon games, having not played them regularly since Gold and Silver, and having not played any of them since Pearl and Diamond. There would be no point for me to try to hide this fact.

Having said all that, though, could a case be made that Pokemon Gold and Silver are still, to this day, the peak of the main handheld series?

Maybe it's just my bias showing, but I say yes. To me, Gold and Silver are just sort of perfect. They took everything that was awesome about Red and Blue and magnified it, all the while removing many of the glitches that were always a problem with those games.

Here's a list of points that I think make Gold and Silver the best Pokemon games ever.

*A near perfect story line.
*The addition of Pokemon breeding, day and night, and even a phone to call people were all huge revolutions over Red and Blue.
*250 Pokemon could be argued as a perfect number of Pokemon. Not too few, but not too many to keep track of like we have today.
*The roaming legendaries were an awesome concept.
*Being able to return to Kanto after beating the game and get all of the badges there again. That's a total of 16 badges.
*Catching up on what all of the Kanto characters you met during you quest on Red and Blue are doing now.
*Actually getting to fight Red, the character you played as on the previous games. This was arguably the most epic showdown ever on any Pokemon game.

Subject: Re: Were Pokemon Gold and Silver the Perfect Pokemon Games?

Written By: 2001 on 07/30/17 at 3:49 pm

I think Pokémon Black and Pokémon X/Y surpassed it (I haven't finished Moon yet). It was perfect for its time, though. I loved how you could play Kanto right after you finished the Johto league. That doubled the replayability straight away! :D

Written By: #Infinity on 07/30/17 at 4:02 pm

I'd argue Pokemon Black & White have the most engaging storyline - it's cool Team Rocket are trying to reform without Giovanni, but their motives are still completely hollow - but on a gameplay level, yes, Gold and Silver were absolutely epic. Not only did all of the new features drastically enhance the gaming experience, balancing out the obvious flaws of the original titles and making the overall experience more comprehensive, but basic presentation aspects like the music, game size, and challenge were all phenomenal.

That said, I'd give a bit of an edge to HGSS, since they retain everything awesome about the original versions and enriching them with all the further gameplay refinements brought about by Genetations III and IV.

Written By: annimal on 07/30/17 at 4:43 pm

I've only played yellow and that was enough Pokemon for me.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/30/17 at 9:18 pm

The Johto region is brilliant. Haha That Johto sound is also the most memorable to me when I generally think of in game Pokémon themes. I'm biased towards the older generations, to. I consider Johto the peak finale of the franchise. I do miss when Pokémon games had "less" Pokémon. That charm is history.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/30/17 at 10:04 pm

I'm not sure I'd say perfect, but they were certainly the most memorable. I remember first playing Pokemon Crystal back in Late 2000, being a fan of the show and the card game, getting this gem on the GBC (One of the first video games I played mind you) was certainly a treat. I did play Pokemon Red shortly after, and then played the Remakes of Fire Red on GBA, along with Pokemon Emerald on the GBA as well!

But yeah the Johto region was hands down the best in the Pokemon series, and definitely the most nostalgic. Between the Gen 2 Games and Seasons 3-5 of the original Pokemon series, it was surely amazing :D :D :D

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/05/18 at 11:36 am

Gotta bump.

If you were older enough by then, Pokémon was truly a gem the newer generations can't see. Gold and Silver has my favorite gym leaders, they were neutrally threatening and feel lively as f. The region was just fun that personally haven't been topped since I stopped playing and the Pokémon still maintained those perfectly designs.

This was definitely a time to be a Pokémon fan.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/06/18 at 8:17 am

I'm not sure I'd say perfect, but they were certainly the most memorable. I remember first playing Pokemon Crystal back in Late 2000, being a fan of the show and the card game, getting this gem on the GBC (One of the first video games I played mind you) was certainly a treat. I did play Pokemon Red shortly after, and then played the Remakes of Fire Red on GBA, along with Pokemon Emerald on the GBA as well!

But yeah the Johto region was hands down the best in the Pokemon series, and definitely the most nostalgic. Between the Gen 2 Games and Seasons 3-5 of the original Pokemon series, it was surely amazing :D :D :D
Crystal came out in 2001

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/06/18 at 8:25 am

Pokemon Gold and Sliver is definitely a masterpiece. I got introduced to the franchise during gen 2 and I can see why this game was so huge in the early 00s. It took everything you loved about RBY and made it better. The typing was far more balanced, going back to Kanto was a nice bonus and facing red at the end was epic. One major flaw GSC had was level grinding. After the 5th gym all the pokemon in the wild becomes significantly weaker than you. I'll have a lv 36 Meganium and I'll be still battling lv 15 pidgeys. It doesn't even get better when you cross over to Kanto all the wild  pokemon  are weak. The only way you'll have a chance to face red is keep doing the elite four over and over.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 11/06/18 at 8:59 am

Crystal came out in 2001

That’s still consideried Gen 2

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/06/18 at 9:05 am

I didn't really start playing pokemon till after gen 2 so my perspective is different than most of this thread. I prefer the newer generations just because of the more robust battle mechanics and more story driven as the series progressed. 

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/06/18 at 9:06 am

That’s still consideried Gen 2
I know but you said 2000. People forget that gen 2 lasted at least in America up until 2003 when Ruby and Sapphire came out.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/06/18 at 10:42 am

I know but you said 2000. People forget that gen 2 lasted at least in America up until 2003 when Ruby and Sapphire came out.

I still played Pokémon Silver hard in 04. I think that's when I first got it.
I didn't really start playing pokemon till after gen 2 so my perspective is different than most of this thread. I prefer the newer generations just because of the more robust battle mechanics and more story driven as the series progressed. 

I would play the newer generations for Mimikyu. I really want to experience using it.

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/18 at 12:05 pm

I still played Pokémon Silver hard in 04. I think that's when I first got it.
I would play the newer generations for Mimikyu. I really want to experience using it.

I never got into Gen 3 the way I did with Gen 1/2.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 11/06/18 at 5:15 pm

I'd argue that the remakes are the real masterpieces buuut I do agree that gen 2 had the best story and pacing.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/06/18 at 7:04 pm

I never got into Gen 3 the way I did with Gen 1/2.

Gen 3 was cool for its time but I find my self disliking it now, up there with the newer gens. The Pokémon aged.. strangely, they all look the same and the island had way too much water.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 11/07/18 at 5:27 pm

Gen 3 was cool for its time but I find my self disliking it now, up there with the newer gens. The Pokémon aged.. strangely, they all look the same and the island had way too much water.
Funny you say that because most people your age (the ones who are genwunners) associate gen 3 with the newer genes or when pokemon got too "complicated" since it was no longer focused on red and blue and in the anime Ash was no longer the main focus because they were adding more pokegirls. Gen 3 aside from Ruby and Sapphire still holds up because of double battles,  Battle Forniter, and the roster still holds up in competitive play whereas gem 1 and 2 roster had to do a lot of revamping with megan and forums.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/07/18 at 8:29 pm

Funny you say that because most people your age (the ones who are genwunners) associate gen 3 with the newer genes or when pokemon got too "complicated" since it was no longer focused on red and blue and in the anime Ash was no longer the main focus because they were adding more pokegirls. Gen 3 aside from Ruby and Sapphire still holds up because of double battles,  Battle Forniter, and the roster still holds up in competitive play whereas gem 1 and 2 roster had to do a lot of revamping with megan and forums.

Bruh, I enjoyed the sh!t out of gen 4 and have quality memories from it. Diamond and Pear was my finale to Pokémon, I'm glad Its the gen I didn't miss and the Pokémon are still memorable.

I rate gen 4 up there with gen 1 and 2.

Written By: 2001 on 11/08/18 at 3:48 pm

Bruh, I enjoyed the sh!t out of gen 4 and have quality memories from it. Diamond and Pear was my finale to Pokémon, I'm glad Its the gen I didn't miss and the Pokémon are still memorable.

I rate gen 4 up there with gen 1 and 2.

Oh my god, no! I can't remember if I hate Gen 3 or Gen 4 more ;D

You should've played Gen 5. Now that is up there with Gen 1 and 2 ;)

Written By: THY9899 on 01/12/19 at 12:46 pm

I only play gen 1(Blue&Yellow)&2(Gold) when I was younger but I still more prefer to Pokémon Blue&Yellow since it's the easiest game in Pokémon game series ;D

Written By: John Titor on 01/12/19 at 12:49 pm

gold/silver was the last time pokemon was really popular until Go

Written By: Dundee on 01/13/19 at 12:01 am

They're not perfect games (the level up curve is kind of screwed up, the wild encounters dispersion is terrible), but they are a significant improvement over Red & Blue, game design-wise at least.
Gold & Silver have all of the 8 bit charm of R&B and none of the broken mechanics and glitches, so they kind of make them obsolete in a way (but obviously nostalgia is a strong feeling regardless).

Written By: Dundee on 01/13/19 at 12:16 am

You should've played Gen 5. Now that is up there with Gen 1 and 2 ;)

Oh god my dear, do you want to get crucified by the internet ;D? I can't think of a more hated gen than generation 5, even to this day I think.

BW was a decent game with a cool story, but the map clearly suffered by its linearity (and let's face it, some of the shoddy designs didn't help 8-P). I got bored after gen 5 with Pokémon anyway, so gen 6-7 are a total mystery to me!

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/13/19 at 8:49 am

Pokémon was actually a special type of cool at one point. Now it literally scream "this is for kids"

I just need a Pokémon Stadium 3.

Written By: floppy on 01/13/19 at 11:19 am

i got Pokemon crystal on vc for the 3ds and enjoyed a lot. Im really surprised
this came out the gameboy color.

Written By: John Titor on 01/15/19 at 2:39 pm

i got Pokemon crystal on vc for the 3ds and enjoyed a lot. Im really surprised
this came out the gameboy color.

Pokemon was finished by the time Crystal came out

Written By: Dundee on 01/15/19 at 3:54 pm

Pokemon was finished by the time Crystal came out
Pokemon was released in Japan in 1996 with the now obscure releases of Red and Green.

Written By: John Titor on 01/15/19 at 4:25 pm

Pokemon was released in Japan in 1996 with the now obscure releases of Red and Green.

What does that have to do with  Pokemon waning in 2000 after Silver and Gold

Written By: Dundee on 01/15/19 at 4:27 pm

What does that have to do with  Pokemon waning in 2000 after Silver and Gold

What does Pokemania waning in 2000 after Silver and Gold have to with him playing Gold & Silver on 3DS.

Written By: John Titor on 01/15/19 at 4:28 pm

What does Pokemania waning in 2000 after Silver and Gold have to with him playing Gold & Silver on 3DS.

He is asking about if Pokemon Gold & Silver were the perfect Pokemon games, I am chiming in by saying yes
and also gold & silver was the last time Pokemon was relevant to culture until 2016's Pokemon go.

I have fond memories of Pokemon 2000 the movie and Gold & silver (which are both grouped in the same time frame)
Gold & Silver made Pokemon go out on a high note.

Written By: Dundee on 01/15/19 at 4:31 pm

He is asking about if Pokemon Gold & Silver were the perfect Pokemon games, I am chiming in by saying yes
and also gold & silver was the last time Pokemon was relevant to culture until 2016's Pokemon go.
Floppy isn't the OP of the thread, he didn't ask the thread question. All he said is that he played those versions on 3DS.

Written By: John Titor on 01/15/19 at 4:37 pm

Floppy isn't the OP of the thread, he didn't ask the thread question. All he said is that he played those versions on 3DS.

and I am chiming in by saying they were good games and the last time pokemon was relevant for a while

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/15/19 at 8:48 pm

and I am chiming in by saying they were good games and the last time pokemon was relevant for a while

Both of you were REALLY informative. Hahaha

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/19 at 7:21 am

All the Pokémon games sold 15 million+, I wouldn't really call that irrelevant

Written By: John Titor on 01/16/19 at 12:42 pm

All the Pokémon games sold 15 million+, I wouldn't really call that irrelevant

I mean the games sold, but after Gold & Silver came out  + Pokemon 2000 there was serious franchise fatigue.
You really didn't see pokemon being talked about in the public  or on tv as it had been in 98-2000. In fact people
were calling 2001's debut of Yugioh to be the new pokemon (it wasn't) but that is how serious people were at the time.

Dragon Ball Z's  Cell Saga was taking serious heat away from any interest that pokemon was doing.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/16/19 at 1:24 pm

I mean the games sold, but after Gold & Silver came out  + Pokemon 2000 there was serious franchise fatigue.
You really didn't see pokemon being talked about in the public  or on tv as it had been in 98-2000. In fact people
were calling 2001's debut of Yugioh to be the new pokemon (it wasn't) but that is how serious people were at the time.

Dragon Ball Z's  Cell Saga was taking serious heat away from any interest that pokemon was doing.

Your absolutely accurate. Pokémon became less significant after gen 2/Johto. It wasn't truly phenomenon anymore by 02 and Yu-Gi-Oh basically replaced it in 03.

Written By: John Titor on 01/16/19 at 1:44 pm

Your absolutely accurate. Pokémon became less significant after gen 2/Johto. It wasn't truly phenomenon anymore by 02 and Yu-Gi-Oh basically replaced it in 03.

This is when I stopped watching, I only made to like October or November of this season and then I couldn't stomach it anymore.

rvdNAcmL6IE

Silver & Pokemon 2000 was a good way for the series popularity to go out on a high note. Fall 2000 I was more concerned how
Vegeta & company were going to kill Cell & The Androids rather then what Ash was up 2.

XRRlZOWcwUc

Check for new replies or respond here...