inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Britney Spears bookended the '00s; Did anybody else?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/17 at 12:11 am

I would say Britney Spears "bookended" the '00s.  She was very popular with her first album in the late '90s and then "Baby One More Time" in 2000.  After that, she started losing it and by the mid '00s had become almost a tabloid joke (I'm thinking around the time she shaved her hair).  Then, in the late '00s going into '09 she had a resurgence, culminating with Circus.  I would say Circus is almost as iconic as her first two albums.  Songs like "Womanizer", "Circus", "Radar", and "If U Seek Amy" were anthems in late 2008 and 2009, especially in the LGBT community.  So to summarize, Britney Spears was popular in the early '00s and in the late '00s but was considered well past her peak in the mid '00s.

Is there any other artists you can think of where that happened?  It can't be somebody like Beyonce who more or less stayed popular in some form the entire decade or somebody like Eminem who dropped off and never quite came back as strong.

Subject: Re: Britney Spears bookended the '00s; Did anybody else?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/17 at 12:24 am

Britney's career is weird.

She was huge from 1999 to late 2001/early 2002. By early 2002, she was no longer 'cool' anymore with the teens. And because of a radio ban on Brit, her songs from her third album, Britney, didn't get enough airplay.

She made a comeback to radio in early 2004 with Toxic and Everytime. So she had a slight 'comeback' in the first half of 2004, because of those songs.

Then she started rebelling. By late 2004, it was obvious she was in rebellion mode. Whether these were signs of a mental health issue, only Britney and her team knows. In fact, I don't think it's any of my business.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/17 at 12:33 am

^^^ I would say her 2008-09 comeback was much bigger than her 2004 one.  Toxic was pretty popular but not quite on the level of hits like "Oops I Did It Again" and "Baby One More Time."  My guess is that "Everytime" is one of her least remembered major hits.

On the other hand, I would put songs like "Circus," "Womanizer," and "If U Seek Amy" almost up with her early stuff.  It's slightly below that but it's almost there.  I consider Britney Spears one of the "Divas" of electropop.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/17 at 12:37 am

^^^ I would say her 2008-09 comeback was much bigger than her 2004 one.  Toxic was pretty popular but not quite on the level of hits like "Oops I Did It Again" and "Baby One More Time."  My guess is that "Everytime" is one of her least remembered major hits.

On the other hand, I would put songs like "Circus," "Womanizer," and "If U Seek Amy" almost up with her early stuff.  It's slightly below that but it's almost there.  I consider Britney Spears one of the "Divas" of electropop.

I'm not sure if she was popular with teens anymore in late 2007/early 2008. But I know that she got a lot of radio play in late 2007/early 2008 with 'Gimme More', 'Piece of Me', and 'Break the Ice'.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/17 at 12:42 am

I'm not sure if she was popular with teens anymore in late 2007/early 2008. But I know that she got a lot of radio play in late 2007/early 2008 with 'Gimme More', 'Piece of Me', and 'Break the Ice'.

She was quite popular with Chris Crocker during that era lol.  I really think people took her more seriously during the "Circus" era than the "Blackout" era.  The songs on "Circus" got a lot more radio airplay, at least where I live.  I remember "Gimme More" on the radio and being popular but I don't remember the other two.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/17 at 2:07 am

I would say Britney Spears "bookended" the '00s.  She was very popular with her first album in the late '90s and then "Baby One More Time" in 2000.  After that, she started losing it and by the mid '00s had become almost a tabloid joke (I'm thinking around the time she shaved her hair).  Then, in the late '00s going into '09 she had a resurgence, culminating with Circus.  I would say Circus is almost as iconic as her first two albums.  Songs like "Womanizer", "Circus", "Radar", and "If U Seek Amy" were anthems in late 2008 and 2009, especially in the LGBT community.  So to summarize, Britney Spears was popular in the early '00s and in the late '00s but was considered well past her peak in the mid '00s.

You know, it's funny, I notice that for some reason, you bring up Britney Spears' Circus album quite an awful lot, even if you're invoking it for fairly contrived reasons (i.e., comparing Rachel Stevens' Come and Get It to it, despite their clearly different sounds). I'm guessing it was one of your favorite albums that you listened to a lot during the best period of your life?

Is there any other artists you can think of where that happened?  It can't be somebody like Beyonce who more or less stayed popular in some form the entire decade or somebody like Eminem who dropped off and never quite came back as strong.

Definitely Train. "Meet Virginia" was a pretty big hit at the very start of the decade, then came two even bigger singles with "Drops of Jupiter" and "Calling All Angels" later in the early 2000s. However, their mid-2000s work tanked, even leading them to briefly break up. But then, at the very twilight of the 2000s, they reunited and came out with "Hey, Soul Sister," easily their biggest hit.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/17 at 2:33 am

You know, it's funny, I notice that for some reason, you bring up Britney Spears' Circus album quite an awful lot, even if you're invoking it for fairly contrived reasons (i.e., comparing Rachel Stevens' Come and Get It to it, despite their clearly different sounds). I'm guessing it was one of your favorite albums that you listened to a lot during the best period of your life?

Definitely Train. "Meet Virginia" was a pretty big hit at the very start of the decade, then came two even bigger singles with "Drops of Jupiter" and "Calling All Angels" later in the early 2000s. However, their mid-2000s work tanked, even leading them to briefly break up. But then, at the very twilight of the 2000s, they reunited and came out with "Hey, Soul Sister," easily their biggest hit.

When do you think Britney's peak was?? Her career is so erratic, and at times messy, to me.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/04/17 at 2:36 am

Matchbox 20 would be another one. Their single "Bent" reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2000 and their follow up single, "If You're Gone", reached #5 the same year. They remained relatively successful for the rest of the Early 2000s, until the release of their singles in 2004 (which did not chart at all in the US) and their eventual break-up later in the year respectively. However, they reunited in 2007 and released a very successful single the same year; "How Far We've Come". It reached #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Written By: Fearsword on 08/04/17 at 5:32 am

Vanessa Amorosi is another artist who bookended the 00s.

She debuted in late 1999 with "Absolutely Everybody" which peaked in early 2000 at #6(ARIA charts) and  scored another hit later that year with "Shine"(#4) which were both off her debut album "The Power". Her second album "Change"(2002) was only released in Germany but her only Australian single off the album "Spin" was underwhelming peaking at #34

After 5 years in the musical wilderness, switching labels jn the process she would release "Somewhere in the real world" in 2008, which spawned the #4(ARIA) single Have a look. Then in late 2009 she would score her 1st #1 hit with "This is who I am" off the album "Hazardous" and her last major hit was "Mr mysterious" in early 2010.

So pretty much all of Amorosi's biggest hits were either very early or very late 2000s with hardly anything in between.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/04/17 at 5:41 am

Vanessa Amorosi is another artist who bookended the 00s.

She debuted in late 1999 with "Absolutely Everybody" which peaked in early 2000 at #6(ARIA charts) and  scored another hit later that year with "Shine"(#4) which were both off her debut album "The Power". Her second album "Change"(2002) was only released in Germany but her only Australian single off the album "Spin" was underwhelming peaking at #34

Her debut single was actually "Have a Look". It entered onto the ARIA chart in July 1999 and peaked at #13 on our charts.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/17 at 7:11 am

She was quite popular with Chris Crocker during that era lol.  I really think people took her more seriously during the "Circus" era than the "Blackout" era.  The songs on "Circus" got a lot more radio airplay, at least where I live.  I remember "Gimme More" on the radio and being popular but I don't remember the other two.

He was the one who made a video entitled "Leave Brittney Alone". ::)

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/cArBGrwM4jhHB4clSE_03A--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NTAwO2g9NDE1O2lsPXBsYW5l/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/ymusic-heard/crocker2007.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 08/04/17 at 10:44 am

That was damn hilarious. Can you believe it's been 10 years since that video waa uploaded? Feels like yesterday I was laughing my ass off at him.  ;D It was, as they say, iconic!  8)

When do you think Britney's peak was?? Her career is so erratic, and at times messy, to me.

To me it was the Y2K era. She was THE face of pop back then. When people thought pop music, Britney Spears was the first person that came to mind. "Baby One More Time" and "Oops! I Did It Again" were truly everywhere, or at least it's how I remember it when I was a kid. She was still the most recognizable pop star in the mid-2000s too, but she was a bit passed her peak then. Then in 2007/08 she was a goner after her meltdown. By the end of 2008, she made her comeback, and everyone was saying "Just when everyone thinks Britney's lost it, she proves everyone wrong again". I felt like she had lost her Queen of Pop status by then though. Although who else was the Queen of Pop in early 2009 other than Britney is hard to say.  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/17 at 12:18 pm

That was damn hilarious. Can you believe it's been 10 years since that video waa uploaded? Feels like yesterday I was laughing my ass off at him.  ;D It was, as they say, iconic!  8)

To me it was the Y2K era. She was THE face of pop back then. When people thought pop music, Britney Spears was the first person that came to mind. "Baby One More Time" and "Oops! I Did It Again" were truly everywhere, or at least it's how I remember it when I was a kid. She was still the most recognizable pop star in the mid-2000s too, but she was a bit passed her peak then. Then in 2007/08 she was a goner after her meltdown. By the end of 2008, she made her comeback, and everyone was saying "Just when everyone thinks Britney's lost it, she proves everyone wrong again". I felt like she had lost her Queen of Pop status by then though. Although who else was the Queen of Pop in early 2009 other than Britney is hard to say.  :D

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/04/17 at 12:53 pm

But why was he defending her? ???

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/17 at 1:25 pm

Honestly, early 1999. Like Slowpoke said, she was pretty much synonymous with pop through the rest of the Y2K era, but the song "Baby One More Time" in particular was such a titanic hit that it practically caused the Earth to move, having charted at #1 on an insane number of international charts and solidifying the millennial generation at the forefront of popular culture with its infamous music video. Nothing that followed it could even come close to matching up to its impact on popular culture at the time.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/17 at 1:29 pm

I think Britney Spears was to the '00s what Lady Gaga is to the '10s.  She was overwhelmingly popular during the early decade.  Mid-decade, both artists remained very recognizable but didn't chart as well and were past their peak for all intents and purposes.  This is one reason I hold out hope for Gaga to make a true comeback.  Lady Gaga hasn't had her "Circus" yet.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/17 at 1:32 pm

Circus was easily one of my top albums during the summer of 2009.  I would rank it just below "The Fame" by Lady Gaga.  Me and my ex-boyfriend used to listen to it all the time.  The dance club I used to party at always played "Radar", "Womanizer", and "If U Seek Amy" as well.  So many good memories there.

Written By: Fearsword on 08/04/17 at 2:31 pm

Her debut single was actually "Have a Look". It entered onto the ARIA chart in July 1999 and peaked at #13 on our charts.

Oh, forgot about that one. Anyway my point is that she was really big in the late 90s/early 00s and late 00s/early 10s but non existent in the mid 00s

Written By: Slim95 on 08/05/17 at 7:36 pm

Eminem. He came out with the Slim Shady EP in 1999 and changed the rap game forever.

Check for new replies or respond here...