inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the actual name for the synth-heavy hip-hop in the late '00s?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/09/17 at 10:51 pm

It wasn't quite trap though it did have elements of trap.  Here are some examples.

Ffh9xDf2S9c

5_PTrKnE9jw

koVHN6eO4Xg

eDuRoPIOBjE

nIFiDkArndo

I would have to say this is probably my favorite era of hip-hop.  It lasted into early 2013.  By 2014 it had transitioned into modern trap.

Subject: Re: What is the actual name for the synth-heavy hip-hop in the late '00s?

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/10/17 at 9:46 am

Maybe synth-heavy Hip Hop or hybrid trap. Synth-heavy Hip Hop sounds nice though. You could have discovered the specific name for it.

Subject: Re: What is the actual name for the synth-heavy hip-hop in the late '00s?

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/10/17 at 7:23 pm

Same for me. The mid to late 00's are my favourite era of HipHop. Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Jay Z, Fabolous, Jadakiss, The Game and Common breathed life back into HipHop.

Edit: Who is Rascoe and Ludy?

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/12/17 at 11:29 pm

I just realized how godly late 2000s Hip Hop is compared to rap of the 2010s. Damn. There's a totally big difference in substance.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/29/17 at 1:34 pm

Young Jeezy and T.I. really did the late 2000s justice in Hip Hop. I'm just realizing how much I miss both artists. Young Jeezy actually managed to make powerfully nostalgic hits that define late 2000s Hip Hop.

I really took the better version of trap for granted in the end.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/29/17 at 2:53 pm

Maybe synth-heavy Hip Hop or hybrid trap. Synth-heavy Hip Hop sounds nice though. You could have discovered the specific name for it.

I have been calling it "synth-hop" as of late.  However, it really is simply a type of trap, though its vastly superior than the trap that has defined most of the '10s.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/02/17 at 2:51 am

Here is a song I just discovered from 2013 but its the same style that was popular in the late '00s.  This style was somewhat dated even by 2013.  It's an awesome song though and the beat/feel of it takes me back even though this is a new song to me.

-XbLJEF84Dw

Check for new replies or respond here...