inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Naruto, The Late 2000s Equivalent to Dragon Ball Z's Early 2000s Popularity?

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/13/17 at 11:21 pm

This topic feels like a breath of fresh air with how there's a absence to decade associated anime topics. If you live in the US, Naruto's 2005 Toonami debut successfully pulled effortless hype and anticipation. By 2006, the anime became suddenly immense with YouTube AMV's and established its name by 2007, already associated with Emo culture. Then, there was the anticipation of the PS2 Naruto Ultimate Ninja titles with also a hand full of continuum video game adaptions from the same series. There was also the peak of Shippuden I highly anticipated. Naruto pulled so much attention amongst male teens to where, its considered to be what caused the cancelation of Toonami by 2008.

As the title is written, do you agree or disagree?

As for my opinion, yes. It was the equivalent.

Subject: Re: Naruto, The Late 2000s Equivalant to Dragon Ball Z's Early 2000s Popularity?

Written By: 2001 on 08/13/17 at 11:27 pm

Dragon Ball Z was way more popular. Maybe the correct term is 'analogue' to Dragon Ball Z. :P

I agree, it was everywhere 2005-2009. The video games were popular too.

Subject: Re: Naruto, The Late 2000s Equivalant to Dragon Ball Z's Early 2000s Popularity?

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/13/17 at 11:35 pm

Dragon Ball Z was way more popular. Maybe the correct term is 'analogue' to Dragon Ball Z. :P

I agree, it was everywhere 2005-2009. The video games were popular too.

I can agree with this. Even girls watched Dragon Ball Z.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/14/17 at 12:02 am

Naruto was more mid-late 2000s, from what I remember. I'm pretty sure people were into it from around 2005 to 2007, but not as much after that. Death Note was a huge deal around the 2007-2008 school year, but otherwise, anime was sort of starting to decline in popularity during the late 2000s, before Adventure Time drove the final nail in its coffin as a mainstream form of animation in the West.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/14/17 at 9:05 am

Naruto was more mid-late 2000s, from what I remember. I'm pretty sure people were into it from around 2005 to 2007, but not as much after that. Death Note was a huge deal around the 2007-2008 school year, but otherwise, anime was sort of starting to decline in popularity during the late 2000s, before Adventure Time drove the final nail in its coffin as a mainstream form of animation in the West.

Death Note? I guess I didn't pay attention to it. I mean, I recall people talking about it. But in my school, I actual seen a student with a physical manga copy of Naruto and knew someone who tuned in weekly. He would sneak through a proxy to a credible site where new chapters were updated in computer class, 09. I would to. Man, I miss that dude. Haha

I miss the peak of Naruto.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/14/17 at 2:22 pm

Yeah, I totally agree.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/14/17 at 2:24 pm

Naruto was definitely more mid '00s than late '00s. Also, both Naruto and Dragon Ball Z are the most well-known anime besides Pokemon (which is #1).

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/15/17 at 12:28 pm

Naruto was definitely more mid '00s than late '00s. Also, both Naruto and Dragon Ball Z are the most well-known anime besides Pokemon (which is #1).

Noooo! dude. Lets ignore Pokémon for right now. Its constantly talked about.

I can of disagree. In case you were only including 05 and 06, 07 was definitely the year of Naruto. Naruto even still went strong by 08 with the Sasuke Retrieval Arc. Then, there were differences.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/15/17 at 1:01 pm

I was about to say the same thing. Naruto's popularity went down right before Toonami originally ended in 2008, so it's definitely more mid 00's than late. Naruto was popular during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons. Basically when TOM 3 still hosted the block. Naruto's popularity on TV didn't last as long as DBZ's though. DBZ lasted from 1999-00 to 2002-03, when the Funimation dub did the sagas in order. After 2007 people started finding other ways to watch Naruto instead of watching it on CN, especially Naruto: Shippuden.

Since 2014, Attack On Titan has been the equivalent to DBZ and Naruto's popularity throughout the early to mid 00's. Everybody I talk to in college or the internet who watched DBZ or Naruto back then all watch Attack On Titan now, whether it's on Netflix, or the original version (subbed).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/15/17 at 1:59 pm

I was about to say the same thing. Naruto's popularity went down right before Toonami originally ended in 2008, so it's definitely more mid 00's than late. Naruto was popular during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons. Basically when TOM 3 still hosted the block. Naruto's popularity on TV didn't last as long as DBZ's though. DBZ lasted from 1999-00 to 2002-03, when the Funimation dub did the sagas in order. After 2007 people started finding other ways to watch Naruto instead of watching it on CN, especially Naruto: Shippuden.

Since 2014, Attack On Titan has been the equivalent to DBZ and Naruto's popularity throughout the early to mid 00's. Everybody I talk to in college or the internet who watched DBZ or Naruto back then all watch Attack On Titan now, whether it's on Netflix, or the original version (subbed).

Yep, I agree.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/15/17 at 4:46 pm

I'm happy to say Naruto actually being the equivalent to DBZ in the mid 2000s is fascinating. I just realized the English voice actors of the characters most likely started production of translating the series in 04.

Damn. Haha

Subject: Re: Naruto, The Late 2000s Equivalent to Dragon Ball Z's Early 2000s Popularity?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/16/17 at 3:27 pm

Yeah, I agree with the consensus that Naruto was definitely more the mid-00s than ever. Aside from the Shippuden series, I don't remember seeing it much in the late 00s. The only thing about Naruto that was popular in the late 00s were the games. Besides, Toonami was already dead at that point, and I think I don't remember seeing it on Adult Swim.

Subject: Re: Naruto, The Late 2000s Equivalent to Dragon Ball Z's Early 2000s Popularity?

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/16/17 at 3:29 pm

Toonami's popularity died in 2007 due to TOM 4 who was lame, as well as Naruto entering filler hell.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/16/17 at 3:41 pm

Toonami is actually going through a ratings decline right now.

Could this be déjà vu all over again?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/16/17 at 4:42 pm

Toonami is actually going through a ratings decline right now.

Could this be déjà vu all over again?
Wait really? How did that happen?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/16/17 at 4:48 pm

Watch these 2 videos (the second one is long but you can just watch the first one, if you want)
fY03vyoKaic
y7wABCefF0Y

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/16/17 at 5:03 pm

It's because cable television is finished. It's been on a steady decline since around 2012ish.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/16/17 at 6:14 pm

Watch these 2 videos (the second one is long but you can just watch the first one, if you want)
fY03vyoKaic

I commented on this video. If Toonami gets cancelled in repeat, it isn't coming back and I'm all for it.

If the networks don't care about it, its better off continuing with its legacy.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/16/17 at 6:20 pm

I commented on this video. If Toonami gets cancelled in repeat, it isn't coming back and I'm all for it.

If the networks don't care about it, its better off continuing with its legacy.

I think I agree with you. Toonami just can't reach the heights that it did during it's original 1997-2008 run.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/16/17 at 6:29 pm

I think I agree with you. Toonami just can't reach the heights that it did during it's original 1997-2008 run.

I guess now I'd rather go back to talking about Toonami when its not airing anymore. I feel more good would come of it. I'm glad I got to experience what true hype is as back then, you had to sit still and Wait! for it to air.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/16/17 at 9:38 pm

Yeah, 2012-early 2015 Toonami gave us some of the best lineups ever filled with so much variety lasting all night long from 11:30pm to 6:00am, but since the hours has been reduced it's been losing ratings big time. I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami becomes its own streaming service and gets taken off in a few years. Samurai Jack (season 5) has been the only big thing Toonami did this year and that was because the rival was highly anticipated. Toonami will never be on the same level as the TOM 1, 2, and 3 eras.

7llwosTV1t4

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/16/17 at 10:00 pm

Toonami taken off Adult Swim in a few years? I see Toonami taken off air by 2018. Think about it. Since Toonami's 2012 revival, its already been back for awhile now. The declining ratings could continue, declining from this point.

Written By: temaichi on 08/17/17 at 9:36 am

Man! I loved watching Naruto but i first found out about the show in mid 2000s when it was rising to it`s popularity for Americans & alot of people around the world. It stopped airing in late 2000s for Jetix.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/17/17 at 10:01 am

Yeah, 2012-early 2015 Toonami gave us some of the best lineups ever filled with so much variety lasting all night long from 11:30pm to 6:00am, but since the hours has been reduced it's been losing ratings big time. I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami becomes its own streaming service and gets taken off in a few years. Samurai Jack (season 5) has been the only big thing Toonami did this year and that was because the rival was highly anticipated. Toonami will never be on the same level as the TOM 1, 2, and 3 eras.

7llwosTV1t4

Honestly I think Toonami's lineup since 2016 has been pretty solid right now. Heck I'd argue its lineup back in Spring of 2017 was its strongest in years (arguably since we were kids). You had Dragon Ball Z Kai, Dragon Ball Super, Samurai Jack Season 5, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Attack on Titan Season 2, Hunter X Hunter, & Naruto Shippuden (among other shows). While it sucks that the hours were cut, I think the block overall those its best to compensate with exclusive english dubbed shows. All though, I personally think to solve the issue the block should probably begin much earlier, maybe around 9:30 or 10, thus they could bring 3-4 more programs to the block. I don't see much of an issue with this being that Cartoon Network's main programming is usually of the air by 8, and adult swim usually picks up from there. So to start the block a couple of hours earlier shouldn't be much of a big deal IMO.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/17/17 at 11:21 pm

Man! I loved watching Naruto but i first found out about the show in mid 2000s when it was rising to it`s popularity for Americans & alot of people around the world. It stopped airing in late 2000s for Jetix.

Most Americans didn't know of Naruto until its 05 Toonami debut, man. And I'm glad it turned out that way for me. I would say also, I miss 05-07 Naruto and early Shippuden.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/17/17 at 11:24 pm

Toonami went downhill in 2007 because of TOM 4, Naruto filler hell, and not many interesting new shows. Now it seems to be heading down that path again.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/17/17 at 11:33 pm

Toonami went downhill in 2007 because of TOM 4, Naruto filler hell, and not many interesting new shows. Now it seems to be heading down that path again.

Filler really butchered Naruto's legacy. I mean, Naruto has the worst, even defining filler that will come to mind when people bring up the topic.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/17/17 at 11:37 pm

Filler really butchered Naruto's legacy. I mean, Naruto has the worst, even defining filler that will come to mind when people bring up the topic.
By fillers, you guys mean that it took up the schedule towards the end of the original Toonami's run?

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/17/17 at 11:57 pm

By fillers, you guys mean that it took up the schedule towards the end of the original Toonami's run?

That, and also episodes that did little to advance the plot.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/18/17 at 12:20 am

That, and also episodes that did little to advance the plot.
Ohhh. I now see why it was canceled much earlier.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/18/17 at 9:18 am

Naruto was cursed with so much filler because If a anime has a wider cast of characters, there's going to be that. I tried to see a way around it and it is difficult. Wide characters contributes to world building, which Naruto actually accomplished.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/19/17 at 11:03 am

I think that Toonami can revive it's ratings by doing what they did in the Spring of this year and what the original Toonami did and that was....have good action shows from the U.S. airing on Toonami. In the Spring, there was Season 5 of Samurai Jack airing and that caused a bump in viewership but immediately after SJ was done in May.....Toonami's ratings started to decline.

Cartoon Network needs to revive or just add good action shows and put them on Toonami. Cartoon Network had the chance to do that last year when the creators of the badass '90s animated series SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron (1993-95) pitched a revival called SWAT Kats Revolution but they turned it down. SWAT Kats Revolution doesn't fit CN's current theme of lighthearted and silly cartoons but Christina Miller could have put SWAT Kats Revolution on Toonami (they technically still can do it). The Tremblay Brothers (creators of SWAT Kats) are still looking for a network that will air SWAT Kats Revolution.

Christina Miller could also revive shows such as Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and Teen Titans (Season 6) to put on Toonami. However, she doesn't care for action cartoons at all and she can't make good decisions...I bet that she wishes Adult Swim and Toonami didn't exist so that she could air Teen Titans Go! all day long and all week....just 24/7 of Teen Titans Go! EVERYDAY. She definitely would do that if she could because she's basically doing it with the 16 hours Cartoon Network currently has.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/19/17 at 4:27 pm

I think that Toonami can revive it's ratings by doing what they did in the Spring of this year and what the original Toonami did and that was....have good action shows from the U.S. airing on Toonami. In the Spring, there was Season 5 of Samurai Jack airing and that caused a bump in viewership but immediately after SJ was done in May.....Toonami's ratings started to decline.

Cartoon Network needs to revive or just add good action shows and put them on Toonami. Cartoon Network had the chance to do that last year when the creators of the badass '90s animated series SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron (1993-95) pitched a revival called SWAT Kats Revolution but they turned it down. SWAT Kats Revolution doesn't fit CN's current theme of lighthearted and silly cartoons but Christina Miller could have put SWAT Kats Revolution on Toonami (they technically still can do it). The Tremblay Brothers (creators of SWAT Kats) are still looking for a network that will air SWAT Kats Revolution.

Christina Miller could also revive shows such as Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and Teen Titans (Season 6) to put on Toonami. However, she doesn't care for action cartoons at all and she can't make good decisions...I bet that she wishes Adult Swim and Toonami didn't exist so that she could air Teen Titans Go! all day long and all week....just 24/7 of Teen Titans Go! EVERYDAY. She definitely would do that if she could because she's basically doing it with the 16 hours Cartoon Network currently has.

Sad to say, I have no interest in a Swat Cats or Space Coast: Coast to Coast revival. A Teen Titans revival has my full support though. And Sym Bionic Titan.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/19/17 at 7:56 pm

Sad to say, I have no interest in a Swat Cats or Space Coast: Coast to Coast revival. A Teen Titans revival has my full support though. And Sym Bionic Titan.

Why not? You don't have to watch them but they would definitely increase the ratings of Toonami. Also, those shows would be good.

I'm a huge fan of Teen Titans and would LOVE to see a revival. Sym-Bionic Titan has an extremely low chance (<1%) of being revived.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/19/17 at 9:21 pm

Why not? You don't have to watch them but they would definitely increase the ratings of Toonami. Also, those shows would be good.

I'm a huge fan of Teen Titans and would LOVE to see a revival. Sym-Bionic Titan has an extremely low chance (<1%) of being revived.

Anyway, man. I wish the Toonami discussion would have been brought up in the actually Toonami thread. There's about 2 from what I recall. Makes for variety in topics and the discussion doesn't end up everywhere.

I want this discussion to have that Naruto vibe.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/19/17 at 11:08 pm

Anyway, man. I wish the Toonami discussion would have been brought up in the actually Toonami thread. There's about 2 from what I recall. Makes for variety in topics and the discussion doesn't end up everywhere.

I want this discussion to have that Naruto vibe.

Well, Toonami is the reason why Naruto became popular in the US. So, naturally...the conversation became about Toonami. However, let the Naruto discussion commence again.

Written By: annimal on 08/19/17 at 11:16 pm

Space Ghost? I'm turning on it now

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/17 at 8:56 am

Well, Toonami is the reason why Naruto became popular in the US. So, naturally...the conversation became about Toonami. However, let the Naruto discussion commence again.

Naruto is associated with Toonami but the intended topic didn't need to go purely Toonami. I wish people would just try to search for and post in the actual topic or make one. I'd be fun to see variety in topics like this, man.

I'd rather this topic just wait for other responses from new users with different opinions rather when Naruto was popular or wasn't. Naruto is also generally associate with the 2000s as Dragon Ball Z.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/20/17 at 12:13 pm

Naruto is associated with Toonami but the intended topic didn't need to go purely Toonami. I wish people would just try to search for and post in the actual topic or make one. I'd be fun to see variety in topics like this, man.

I'd rather this topic just wait for other responses from new users with different opinions rather when Naruto was popular or wasn't. Naruto is also generally associate with the 2000s as Dragon Ball Z.

No worries bruh. I even agreed with you.

Check for new replies or respond here...