inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What year did Gen Y Highschool culture end?

Written By: John Titor on 08/14/17 at 12:28 pm

Alot of people say 2011, some say 2007 and 2008.

What year was the last year of GEN Y highschool?

Subject: Re: What year did Gen Y Highschool culture end?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/14/17 at 1:26 pm

The spring/summer of 2014 was like the turning point. After the Ukrainian tension, Elliot Rodger's rampage (which ultimately in some ways led to the rise of alt-right and "red pill" movements), the start of Europe's migrant/refugee issues, and the shooting of Michael Brown (led to the rise of Black Lives Matter and riots in Ferguson), things started getting really tense in the nation. 2014, I would say, may be remembered as one of the most dramatic years in American history.

Not many people may agree with me about this, but if Elliot Rodger's rampage never happened, the alt-right in a way may never be as big as they are today (yes, I first heard of the term "alt-right" in 2014, and in fact, this term dates all the way back to 2008 when Richard Spencer coined the word). Many say it started the whole "beta uprising" and "angry white male" (Elliot Rodger, however, was half-Asian) movements.

A lot of what you see today could be rooted back to 2012 to some extent. 2012 saw the rise of mass shootings (Aurora Theater, Sandy Hook, Chardon, etc), police brutality becoming an issue in America, and marijuana's legality becoming an issue (Colorado and Washington both legalized recreational marijuana in 2012)

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/16/17 at 5:04 am

Late 2014 when the Gen Z post ironic "dank meme" culture began. 2009-2014 was a Y/Z transition period for high schools, one I was a part of, and have some rather fond (though cringey) memories of.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/16/17 at 8:03 am

It hasn't because people born in 2000 haven't graduated yet.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/05/17 at 5:25 am

I would say 2014.

I started High School in Early 2012 and high school culture still felt massively Gen Y at that point. 1994 borns were the seniors that year, so it does make sense. To add on to the points T-Rex stated, I think the rise of Snapchat and the Ice Bucket Challenge also marked the change to Gen Z high school culture.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/05/17 at 5:48 am

I would say 2014.

I started High School in Early 2012 and high school culture still felt massively Gen Y at that point. 1994 borns were the seniors that year, so it does make sense. To add on to the points T-Rex stated, I think the rise of Snapchat and the Ice Bucket Challenge also marked the change to Gen Z high school culture.

I defintley know that by 2015 it was Gen Z for sure. For me, Being at High School back in 2011 definetly feels different from today...... Even different from 2013/4

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/05/17 at 5:37 pm

I defintley know that by 2015 it was Gen Z for sure. For me, Being at High School back in 2011 definetly feels different from today...... Even different from 2013/4

You went to High School when you were only 11?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/05/17 at 5:42 pm

You went to High School when you were only 11?

Yeah. Where I come from you can either start High School at 10,11,12 or 13.
I was only 10 on my first day at High School

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/05/17 at 5:51 pm

Yeah. Where I come from you can either start High School at 10,11,12 or 13.
I was only 10 on my first day at High School

Where I'm at elementary is K-5th, middle is 6-8th, and high school is 9-12th. The average age that a person starts high school over here is usually 14.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/05/17 at 11:00 pm

Depends on where you cut off Gen Y.  If you go by the most liberal definition, it isn't completely over yet as the youngest Millennials are still in school (will graduate in 2018).  However, if you go by what most consider core Millennial culture, I would say about 2014.  That's when Gen-Z focused teen pop was at its peak.

I would say college culture is still Millennial, though it won't be for much longer.

Check for new replies or respond here...