inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Guys What was the 2008/2009 Highschool year like ?

Written By: John Titor on 08/21/17 at 11:08 am

2006 was my final highschool year (So I have atleast late 2006 and early 2007 for late 2000s years)
BUT I always speculated what the last 2 years of the 2000's were like for highschool.

I always wondered what 2008 or 2009 would have felt like in that setting.
Can anyone chime in on the vibe? 

-Slowpoke stop telling people I graduated in 2007

Subject: Re: Guys What was the 2008/2009 Highschool year like ?

Written By: exodus08 on 08/21/17 at 12:32 pm

My senior year was 2007-2008. Not sure what you wanna know?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/21/17 at 12:59 pm

The atmosphere was still the same as the previous years. There was Emo, Preppy, Hip-hop and neutral fashion. Everyone had cell phones, MP3s/iPods, and digital cameras. Social media was myspace and facebook. Music was Hip-hop, Rock, Pop-rock, R&B, country etc.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/21/17 at 1:19 pm

It felt like one big mix of pop culture with things from the mid/late 2000's and early 2010's. The future was uncertain. Remnants of rock music were still there with bands like green day still somewhat popular I remember but upbeat electronic music was coming in with artists like lady gaga and katy perrry and tiao cruz. It still had the somewhat slower paced minimalist vibe of the 2000's but things were changing and getting faster paced and fashion was slowly getting more colorful. Whereas late 2009 was when the early 2010's culture was starting to take over in my opinion, the 2008/2009 school year consisted of a feeling of change but with a lot of connections to what had come previously, it was not yet clear where things were headed.

Written By: John Titor on 08/21/17 at 1:42 pm

The atmosphere was still the same as the previous years. There was Emo, Preppy, Hip-hop and neutral fashion. Everyone had cell phones, MP3s/iPods, and digital cameras. Social media was myspace and facebook. Music was Hip-hop, Rock, Pop-rock, R&B, country etc.

so it was the same mostly lol

Written By: John Titor on 08/21/17 at 1:43 pm

It felt like one big mix of pop culture with things from the mid/late 2000's and early 2010's. The future was uncertain. Remnants of rock music were still there with bands like green day still somewhat popular I remember but upbeat electronic music was coming in with artists like lady gaga and katy perrry and tiao cruz. It still had the somewhat slower paced minimalist vibe of the 2000's but things were changing and getting faster paced and fashion was slowly getting more colorful. Whereas late 2009 was when the early 2010's culture was starting to take over in my opinion, the 2008/2009 school year consisted of a feeling of change but with a lot of connections to what had come previously, it was not yet clear where things were headed.

How did your school react when stores were closing and the economy crashed

Written By: John Titor on 08/21/17 at 1:44 pm

My senior year was 2007-2008. Not sure what you wanna know?

what it felt like compared to 2004 2005 2006 2007

Written By: wixness on 08/21/17 at 3:06 pm

I was in middle school or was in it at the second half, and like with the emos, the guys wore their hair long. F** today's trends of guys wearing their hair short! By the time it was 2013 or 2014, guys wore their hair short with the exception of one!

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/21/17 at 3:28 pm

How did your school react when stores were closing and the economy crashed

Well I don't really know how the school reacted. Our teachers probably talked about it maybe to the older years. My class wasn't too bothered as we were only 12/13 at the time (1st year of secondary school) and we were very young.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/21/17 at 4:41 pm

what it felt like compared to 2004 2005 2006 2007

Well i started my senior year at a new school so I guess that was different. Not sure how my peers felt about voting for the first time. The '08 election was exciting and it was talked about a lot. Most of my teachers were wanting John McCain to be President.

Written By: 2001 on 08/21/17 at 5:00 pm

I was in Grade 11 in 2008/2009 school year. It was very much a 2000s year but the 2010s were coming in quickly in many respects. It was a very changeful time and it's hard to place. I think "the 2000s trying desperately to become a 2010s year, but nope, still 2000s" is how I'd describe it. ;D I wrote this in another thread, if you want to know how my teen life was in 2009 in general.

At the beginning of the year (2009), the iPod Classic was still the coolest device on the block, I talked to my friends on MSN everyday, I still had an SDTV in my room, my computer was on Windows XP, George Bush was still president, MySpace was still more popular than Facebook in the US, only 2 or 3 people had an iPhone in my grade out of ~400 or so students, about 20% had a Blackberry, the other 40% some sort of slider or feature phone, and the other 40% didn't even have a phone (I grew up around working class neighbourhoods though). Britney Spears, Usher, All-American Rejects, Linkin Park, BeyoncĂ© had presence on the charts.  I remember in the summer on the last day of school (June 2009), I and most people brought a digital camcorder to record and take pictures of the event, instead of using their phones like most would today.

By the end of the year though, the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch and iPod Nano/Shuffle were clearly the hottest thing, MSN was far less active, Facebook was clearly established and even Twitter was gaining ground, there were no more SDTVs in my house (and 3DTVs were the next big thing ;D), I had a netbook on Windows 7, Obama was firmly entrenched, about 10-15% of people in my grade had an iPhone (sounds little, but 15% is almost 1 in every 6 people, so somewhat common and a part of daily life), and far more had a Blackberry at that point. Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, and Kesha (at the beginning of 2010) were clearly the biggest pop stars now, and everyone was going to the theatres to watch Avatar. The early 2010s had clearly arrived. It was a very long year with a lot of changes. :D

As for the recession, I lost my job April 2009 and I was devastated.  :( A lot of stores in my neighbourhood closed down too. Some of my friends' parents lost their jobs too, so we couldn't go out as much. It was pretty sad when your friends can't go to theatre or out with you because they can't afford it, and you insist on paying for them but they say no.  :\'( a lot of this was more in effect in 2009-10 school year than 2008-09 though, but it had some of it. What was different from the previous years was, I was always told to follow my dreams and do whatever I want, but in 2008-09 it was hammered into me to get a job with good employment prospects. I remember when I went to make a new bank account in January 2009 (the same say Obama got inaugurated :D), I told the bank lady I wanted to be a graphic designer and both she and my dad clicked their tongues and told me on these uncertain times, I should pick a good paying job and just do graphic design as a hobby.  :-\\ And the same message was reinforced in school: they would remind which degrees paid the most and had the highest employment rates. That's one thing that changed from the previous years. 

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 5:05 pm

I was in Junior High and people were listening to Pink, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Black Eyed Peas, and Taylor Swift. I was really into Marianas Trench at this time. I know one guy who always wore skinny jeans and a lot of bright coloured clothing was popping up. The Office was also really popular at this time.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/21/17 at 5:22 pm

I was in Junior High and people were listening to Pink, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Black Eyed Peas, and Taylor Swift. I was really into Marianas Trench at this time. I know one guy who always wore skinny jeans and a lot of bright coloured clothing was popping up. The Office was also really popular at this time.

I think he was asking people who were in high school.

Written By: Fearsword on 08/21/17 at 5:41 pm

It was alright. There were massive cultural changes happening at the time.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/21/17 at 5:50 pm

To add, if you were a Hip Hop fan, you owned the Carter 3. I couldn't get it officially. Someone I knew had a burned copy he let me use I added the songs from to my iPod. The culture was still heavily 2000s because I remember my self included, we still wore our school uniform pants noticeably baggy during high school, 2008.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/17 at 6:54 pm

I think he was asking people who were in high school.

Umm Riven wasn't in high school in this school year and he commented before me. So why are you specifically targeting me and attacking me for my input? Not to mention grade 8 IS high school in some places. Your comment was absolutely not necessary and not sure why you were specifically attacking me when others commented on this thread who weren't in high school? Makes absolutely no sense at all, we can all comment on here as much as we want and my I'm allowed to share my experience as it is probably useful because I was a teen at the time just like you. If you have a problem with me just DM me, don't make these weird agressive replies and troll my threads.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/22/17 at 8:27 am

That was my last year of college. A lot of you guys might see this as a more carefree school year than me because, as a guy about to graduate and have to look for a job while the economy was dumping 100,000s of jobs a month, things were getting quite ugly.

But, I will say that early 2009 does seem quite dated from a tech standpoint by today's standards. At that point, my parents had gotten an HDTV but I still had an SDTV, plus my primary phone was still a flip phone, and my laptop was a crappy old Toshiba with barely 100 MB of memory.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/22/17 at 3:55 pm

Also the social network site Bebo was hugely popular this year in my class. Just about everyone in my class had an account on it. Bluetooth was still a very popular way of sending photos and videos through phone as well.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/22/17 at 5:50 pm

That was my last year of college. A lot of you guys might see this as a more carefree school year than me because, as a guy about to graduate and have to look for a job while the economy was dumping 100,000s of jobs a month, things were getting quite ugly.

But, I will say that early 2009 does seem quite dated from a tech standpoint by today's standards. At that point, my parents had gotten an HDTV but I still had an SDTV, plus my primary phone was still a flip phone, and my laptop was a crappy old Toshiba with barely 100 MB of memory.

100 MB of memory? I had a Dell Dimension 8100 from the early 2000s (which I used until 2007) that had more memory than that. I'm not sure about my other laptops from the late 2000s, but they probably had more memory since Windows Vista required so much back then.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/23/17 at 8:54 am

100 MB of memory? I had a Dell Dimension 8100 from the early 2000s (which I used until 2007) that had more memory than that. I'm not sure about my other laptops from the late 2000s, but they probably had more memory since Windows Vista required so much back then.

Yeah, sorry about the typo. You're right, and I actually meant to type 100 GB.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/23/17 at 11:36 am

Yeah, sorry about the typo. You're right, and I actually meant to type 100 GB.

That would be impossible as the most memory computers have these days are usually around 32gb.  ;D Most are around 4 - 8 gigs. I think you mean storage.

Around 500mb to 2gb of memory was pretty standard for a 2009 laptop.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/24/17 at 2:27 pm

That would be impossible as the most memory computers have these days are usually around 32gb.  ;D Most are around 4 - 8 gigs. I think you mean storage.

Around 500mb to 2gb of memory was pretty standard for a 2009 laptop.

Yeah, I was talking about storage. My laptop back then had about 200 GB of storage, and less than 2 GB of memory.

Written By: John Titor on 09/06/17 at 11:37 am

that must felt like quite the transition

Check for new replies or respond here...