inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tell me about Myspace...

Written By: temaichi on 08/23/17 at 1:59 pm

I was very young when Myspace became so popular around mid 2000s.
It was one of the first social media to ever blow up & it was bigger then Facebook for a good time. I heard that emo and rock gained popularity because of Myspace too.

Myspace is obviously way different then what people tell me about it so they`ve ofcourse changed their layout and stuff & it`s probably not the same anymore. Tell me about the "old Myspace" and did you ever use it? How was the community? What could you do on the site? Let me know!

Subject: Re: Tell me about Myspace...

Written By: violet_shy on 08/23/17 at 2:06 pm

Before Facebook I use to have a Myspace account, but I hardly ever used it. One really great feature that Myspace had, was that someone could add a playlist for music on their profile. I don't know if they still do that I haven't been on there in years. I wish Facebook had that feature it would make it so much more fun!

Written By: John Titor on 08/23/17 at 2:25 pm

It was one of the first social media to ever blow up & it was bigger then Facebook for a good time. I heard that emo and rock gained popularity because of Myspace too.

Myspace is obviously way different then what people tell me about it so they`ve ofcourse changed their layout and stuff & it`s probably not the same anymore. Tell me about the "old Myspace" and did you ever use it? How was the community? What could you do on the site? Let me know!

Myspace's influence from 2004-2007 is always underplayed, At the time of its popularity it was bigger than Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram combined. Myspace is heavily responsible for the atmosphere of the 2000s. It wasn't like now how Facebook is used by family & friends, Myspace was sorta of the thing you don't tell your parents about.  The myspace generation (2004-early 2007) will never be duplicated by social media ever again. Its hard to explain how big of a thing it was.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/23/17 at 2:59 pm

Myspace's influence from 2004-2007 is always underplayed, At the time of its popularity it was bigger than Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram combined. Myspace is heavily responsible for the atmosphere of the 2000s. It wasn't like now how Facebook is used by family & friends, Myspace was sorta of the thing you don't tell your parents about.  The myspace generation (2004-early 2007) will never be duplicated by social media ever again. Its hard to explain how big of a thing it was.

But when it went, it WENT. It seemingly vanished overnight, in that way things do now, and people jumped ship to Facebook.  I'm not sure of the reason for such a sudden shift.  ???

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/23/17 at 3:04 pm

I never had a Myspace account when it was popular, but it was still in the mainstream up until I was about 8 and a half (I was born in December 1999 by the way). It was pretty much like Facebook, except there wasn't a lot of people older than 30-35.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/17 at 3:42 pm

But when it went, it WENT. It seemingly vanished overnight, in that way things do now, and people jumped ship to Facebook.  I'm not sure of the reason for such a sudden shift.  ???

Myspace was before Facebook.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/23/17 at 4:29 pm

I opened up MySpace in 2008 and used it a lot for blogging and promoting some of my music I was making at the time. I think I deleted my account in 2012. Before having an account in 2008 I often visited the site to listen to some bands and check out artists I like.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/23/17 at 4:31 pm

I never had a Myspace account when it was popular, but it was still in the mainstream up until I was about 8 and a half (I was born in December 1999 by the way). It was pretty much like Facebook, except there wasn't a lot of people older than 30-35.

Well it was kind of different from Facebook because it focused more on designing your own page and making blogs and stuff like that. Not as picture oriented as Facebook. On Facebook everyone had the same designed profile pages and it was a lot more uniform.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/23/17 at 4:32 pm

It died down around 2008 - 2009 when I had my account. I asked my friends to follow me and most of them said it was old and they didn't have MySpace except for a few. Facebook was definitely a much bigger deal.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/23/17 at 9:43 pm

I missed out on Myspace. I just couldn't develop the interest for it, even when it recommended. I'm aware of the vibe it established though. My best friend and first love had accounts.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/23/17 at 10:34 pm

Myspace was fun because you could individualize your page any way you wanted, like by adding your own playlist that would turn on as soon as someone got onto your page, a background (mine was Jack Skellington), and glitter graphics. You added blog posts that were available for your friends to read to the side of your page, and friends could comment on your page in a comment box at the bottom of your page.

I used Myspace from 2007 until early 2009. The mass exodus from Myspace to Facebook really did seem abrupt. It's like, Myspace was all the rage during the 2008-2009 school year, then by the beginning of the next school year everybody was on Facebook and not using Myspace anymore.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/23/17 at 10:37 pm

I used Myspace from 2007 until early 2009. The mass exodus from Myspace to Facebook really did seem abrupt. It's like, Myspace was all the rage during the 2008-2009 school year, then by the beginning of the next school year everybody was on Facebook and not using Myspace anymore.

I would say by the 2008 - 2009 school year MySpace was already dying down because everyone had Facebook this school year... I mean I got my first one in August 2008 and I was literally the last one out of all my friends (and probably almost the last one of my entire school) to open account... I caved into peer pressure and opened my account much later than others in August 2008. People have moved on to Facebook around early 2008, some late 2007.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/23/17 at 10:40 pm

The MySpace forums were a sh!tshow.  ;D

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/24/17 at 12:20 am

I would say by the 2008 - 2009 school year MySpace was already dying down because everyone had Facebook this school year... I mean I got my first one in August 2008 and I was literally the last one out of all my friends (and probably almost the last one of my entire school) to open account... I caved into peer pressure and opened my account much later than others in August 2008. People have moved on to Facebook around early 2008, some late 2007.

True, I started using Facebook in October 2008, I think. But Myspace was still popular that school year because I specifically remember my classmates continuing to use it throughout most of that school year.

EDIT

Here is a video a few of my classmates shot in late October of 2008. At the 00:24 mark, they're scrolling through their Myspace messages. Myspace was definitely popular in late 2008, at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppR5C9n3tUU

Written By: temaichi on 08/24/17 at 2:28 am

Myspace was fun because you could individualize your page any way you wanted, like by adding your own playlist that would turn on as soon as someone got onto your page, a background (mine was Jack Skellington), and glitter graphics. You added blog posts that were available for your friends to read to the side of your page, and friends could comment on your page in a comment box at the bottom of your page.

That`s so cool! Websites like that could never be designed like that nowdays. It`s all about trying to look professional and "clean". Never  gonna experience something like that again. Not only Myspace went down with a stupid layout but all the other social media sites has gone down with an ugly design that most people never agreed to...  :-\\ R.I.P Old Myspace.

Written By: temaichi on 08/24/17 at 2:30 am

True, I started using Facebook in October 2008, I think. But Myspace was still popular that school year because I specifically remember my classmates continuing to use it throughout most of that school year.

EDIT

Here is a video a few of my classmates shot in late October of 2008. At the 00:24 mark, they're scrolling through their Myspace messages. Myspace was definitely popular in late 2008, at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppR5C9n3tUU

That video is sooooo 2000s!! The music, the bad quality, people talking about Myspace, the internet, school without people holding their phones. Woow. What an amazing time to be alive. :-\\

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/24/17 at 2:51 am

That video is sooooo 2000s!! The music, the bad quality, people talking about Myspace, the internet, school without people holding their phones. Woow. What an amazing time to be alive. :-\\

We were in the pit of an economic recession and a nearly universally despised man was president (Bush, not Trump), so it didn't feel so amazing at the time.  :D

Granted, this video was made shortly before Obama was elected president, so one could say it was a more hopeful time than now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/24/17 at 7:51 am

Pretty sure the first time I heard about MySpace was the summer of 2005. At that moment, I had just graduated high school and was a few months away from starting college. Actually, I was talking to a buddy and he told me that I needed to check out this new thing called MySpace because all the kids were getting on it. Honestly, I didn't like it very much. The whole concept of social media was new back then, and stuff like AOL Messenger was the main way that I talked to people online.

Honestly, I didn't actually bother creating an account until a year later, around June 2006.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/24/17 at 10:19 am

Pretty sure the first time I heard about MySpace was the summer of 2005. At that moment, I had just graduated high school and was a few months away from starting college. Actually, I was talking to a buddy and he told me that I needed to check out this new thing called MySpace because all the kids were getting on it. Honestly, I didn't like it very much. The whole concept of social media was new back then, and stuff like AOL Messenger was the main way that I talked to people online.

Honestly, I didn't actually bother creating an account until a year later, around June 2006.

I didn't create my account until 2007. I think 2006 to 2008 were Myspace's peak years among teenagers. It was parodied on Degrassi in 2006 (and you know something's legit once it gets a spot on that show  :D), and my high school's 2008 yearbook had a page utilizing the Myspace layout.

Before Myspace, I know some of my peers used this site called Bebo. I dabbled in it once, I think.  :P

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/24/17 at 10:36 am

Well it was kind of different from Facebook because it focused more on designing your own page and making blogs and stuff like that. Not as picture oriented as Facebook. On Facebook everyone had the same designed profile pages and it was a lot more uniform.

Well, that's exactly what I said. But Facebook never really had those options, since Mark Zuckerberg was inspired by the social interface of adding friends from Myspace.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/17 at 10:52 am

Before Myspace, I know some of my peers used this site called Bebo. I dabbled in it once, I think.  :P

And before Myspace there was Friendster.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/24/17 at 11:55 am

Myspace was one of them things I knew about, but never really put a lot of time into. Back in the golden age of Myspace I was mainly just playing terrible flash games and watching youtube.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/24/17 at 12:11 pm

I knew about thanks to older siblings who accounts in the mid 2000's. When I finally made an account circa Late 2008/Early 2009, the site had started to fall from grace due to the rising popularity of FaceBook. Many people my age had it back in middle school in the Late 2000's, but by Late 2009/Early 2010 FaceBook took my school to storm, and well the rest is history ;D.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/24/17 at 12:14 pm

Myspace was one of them things I knew about, but never really put a lot of time into. Back in the golden age of Myspace I was mainly just playing terrible flash games and watching youtube.

Same. During the era from 2006-2008 I mainly just played flash games online (Toon Town Online anybody ;)?) or binged watch YouTube Poops or 300 Memes to oblivion.

rvYZRskNV3w

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/24/17 at 12:18 pm

Same. During the era from 2006-2008 I mainly just played flash games online (Toon Town Online anybody ;)?) or binged watch YouTube Poops or 300 Memes to oblivion.

rvYZRskNV3w

This guy just mentioned Toontown Online?!  :o
Loved that game. I was a teen when I played it. I just couldn't get into any other MMOs at the time. I did love Toon Town just because I liked the idea of being a toon/cartooon character (hence my name and my fascination with animation).

Although there were people on Toon town who also mentioned having Myspace accounts. Makes sense as Myspace and Toontown came out in the same time period.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/24/17 at 12:31 pm

Loved that game. I was a teen when I played it. I just couldn't get into any other MMOs at the time. I did love Toon Town just because I liked the idea of being a toon/cartooon character (hence my name and my fascination with animation).

Although there were people on Toon town who also mentioned having Myspace accounts. Makes sense as Myspace and Toontown came out in the same time period.

Yeah Toon Town was amazing. It was basically an MMORPG for kids, although many people of all ages played it as well. Also yeah that is a good point you bring up, I do remember having a few friends on Toon Town who happened to also have myspace accounts (even if they were technically too young ;D).

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/24/17 at 1:16 pm

rvYZRskNV3w

YES!!!  :D :D

I really loved those 300 videos when I started watching YouTube videos around the summer of 2007. They were the sh*t.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/24/17 at 1:47 pm

YES!!!  :D :D

I really loved those 300 videos when I started watching YouTube videos around the summer of 2007. They were the sh*t.

That's YouTube's golden age for you.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/24/17 at 11:11 pm

You could listen to your favorite band's hot trax on that site.  8)  8)  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/25/17 at 10:45 am

rvYZRskNV3w

Yeah Toon Town was amazing. It was basically an MMORPG for kids, although many people of all ages played it as well. Also yeah that is a good point you bring up, I do remember having a few friends on Toon Town who happened to also have myspace accounts (even if they were technically too young ;D).

I LOVED Toontown Online. It was f*cking fun and awesome. Too bad...it's dead :\'(.

Written By: temaichi on 08/31/17 at 5:35 pm

You could listen to your favorite band's hot trax on that site.  8)  8)  8)

That must`ve felt awesome if you and your fav band shared the same interest in a song! :)

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 09/03/17 at 9:32 am

I used to browse that site. I forgot my account name but I deleted it in 2010 since I never used it. I think it's name was UrameshiiYusuke?

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/04/17 at 12:52 am

Oh those were the days! Let me tell you! I had dial up for a long time, so anything too graphics heavy crashed my computer, yet it was a blast messing with the layouts and customizing. Drama would also spill over from friends in the journals, but due to the nature of it having journals and not one big activity feed, issues were far more contained than with Facebook. Also you could pick a username. It had forums and chats if I recall, but due to my crappy connection at the time, I couldn't use them and I regret that. Plus it was cool that you could discover new music when people had playlists going, but annoying if it was music that couldn't be shut off.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/04/17 at 12:58 am

And before Myspace there was Friendster.

Before that it was Livejournal and Xanga, and before that it was Yahoo! Profiles.

Check for new replies or respond here...