inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I need some help with a project of mine

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/01/17 at 7:19 pm

I know I'm new here, but if you wouldn't mind indulging me:

https://open.spotify.com/user/zachhlg/playlist/7Mv8ot6tAEYhOE7QcEuXy9

(If there's a way to embed that, I don't know it.)

I recently decided to undertake this project of creating a Spotify playlist with music that encapsulates what I call the "peak 2000s." This, to me, is a period of time that stretches from the release of American Idiot in September 2004 to the election of Barack Obama in November 2008. If you ask me, that era is the "00s"-iest part of the decade.

Problem is I'm forgetting stuff and I know it, but I just don't know what I've forgotten. The distance between that time and now is widening all the time, and trying to do this purely from memory, at least on my own, has proven very limiting. I thought if I crowdsource the effort, I could finally complete this project. How about it - would you guys be willing to help me pick out the missing pieces of this playlist?

I'm sure this must seem like an overwhelming and limitless project, so the guideline I generally use in these sorts of undertakings is to confine the playlist to significant genres, artists, and songs. In other words, it doesn't need to be Top 40s or even on the radio (although obviously these should be included), but the song or artist in question must have at least had a significant following at the time (for example, I have included Dream Theater in this playlist because even though they scarcely ever made it to radio, their 2007 album and the arrival of the New Wave of American Heavy Metal yanked them out of obscurity and into metal's mainstream at the time). If it helps, here are the major players I see as characterizing peak 2000s:
- Third wave emo and associated subgenres such as screamo and post-hardcore (artists including FOB, Panic, MCR, Thirty Seconds, Silverstein, Atreyu, etc.)

- Urban music, also a big one, largely consisting of R&B and hip-hop stars of the prior decade (Usher, Beyoncé, Lil' Jon, Ludacris...you get the idea. I'm really lacking in this area because I avoided these artists for so long.)

- The New Wave of American Heavy Metal, especially prominent from 2006-2007 (A7X, novelty bands like Dethklok, Dragonforce, In Flames...)

- Post-grunge (Breaking Benjamin, Daughtry, Three Days Grace)

I know there are certain songs and artists I'm blanking on as well, and some I'm just plain not familiar with (like it would be great if someone knew about Angels & Airwaves, that would be greatly and especially appreciated). Thanks in advance all, it's public so you guys can check it out if you want, and obviously once it's finished it'll be there for all of us to enjoy.

Subject: Re: I need some help with a project of mine

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 12:47 am

Here are a few songs which I think epitomise the "core 2000s".

* "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado
* "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dog  8-P
* "Hollaback Girl" - Gwen Stefani
* "Photograph" - Nickelback
* "You're Beautiful" - James Blunt  8-P
* "Irreplaceable" - Beyonce
* "Dear Maria, Count Me In" - All Time Low  8-P

* "Somebody Told Me" - The Killers
* "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" - Panic at the Disco
* "Chasing Cars" - Snow Patrol
* "Where The City Meets The Sea" - The Getaway Plan
* "Dakota" - Stereophonics
* "Shut Up and Drive" - Rhianna

I hope that helps. I just thought of those songs off the top of my head. :P

Written By: karen on 09/02/17 at 6:33 am

Another Killers song of the time is Mr Brightside - named as Song of the Decade by two UK radio stations

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/02/17 at 10:45 am

Thank you both, these were all added. I'm wondering if I should stick in some older songs that regained popularity thanks to Guitar Hero 1 and 2.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/02/17 at 1:06 pm

Do you need a song list of Usher, Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz and Ludacris that were released during the peak 2000s?

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/02/17 at 2:08 pm

That would be very helpful, thank you. And like I said, if anyone wants to check out what I have so far, I have made the playlist public. Please, enjoy!

Written By: 2001 on 09/02/17 at 3:55 pm

Some late 2004/early 2005 songs you might be missing are Pieces by Sum 41, Pieces of Me by Ashlee Simpson, Get Right by J Lo*, Pon De Reply by Rihanna, Mr. Lonely by Akon, Smack That by Akon (2007), Mockingbird by Eminem. That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Cool list btw ;)

*I think this was more popular internationally than in the US.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/02/17 at 5:20 pm

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. Wow, Akon - I forgot he existed. ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 6:42 pm

Here's a few more songs that I just thought of:

* "Lonely Day" - System of a Down
* "Big Girls Don't Cry" - Fergie
* "Breaking The Habit" - Linkin Park
* "Untouched" - The Veronicas
* "Beautiful Girls" - Sean Kingston  8-P
* "Chamillionaire" - Ridin' ft. Krayzie Bone  8-P
* "Straight Lines" - Silverchair
* "Opinions Won't Keep You Warm at Night" - Kisschassy (This is an Australian song, but it really represents the era and it was a huge hit here).

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/02/17 at 7:18 pm

Some late 2004/early 2005 songs you might be missing are Pieces by Sum 41, Pieces of Me by Ashlee Simpson, Get Right by J Lo*, Pon De Reply by Rihanna, Mr. Lonely by Akon, Smack That by Akon (2007), Mockingbird by Eminem. That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Cool list btw ;)

*I think this was more popular internationally than in the US.

WOW! :) All of those songs make me so nostalgic, especially the ones by Rihanna and Akon, he was everywhere in '06/7/8

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/03/17 at 8:01 am

* "Opinions Won't Keep You Warm at Night" - Kisschassy (This is an Australian song, but it really represents the era and it was a huge hit here).

Good list. However, Breaking the Habit was 2003, so I don't think it really fits. I sorta see 2000 through summer 2004 as being an endless late '90s time loop. September 2004, to me, was really when the '00s got going. That was when I think culturally it became clear that Dubya wasn't going away, that the dream of the Nineties was dead. You'll notice that the 2000s through summer 2004 we were still listening to boy bands, nu-metal was not only on the radio but immensely popular, three-camera sitcoms like Friends and Frasier were still running...it still felt very much like the '90s until American Idiot came onto the scene. Hell, I remember because at the time I was distraught about the change.

Edit: By the way, I have made tons of additions in just the last couple days. I'm pleased to say that I think it may almost be done. Of course please feel free to let me know if anything is missing, and thank you all for your efforts so far.

Written By: karen on 09/03/17 at 10:35 am

Thank you both, these were all added. I'm wondering if I should stick in some older songs that regained popularity thanks to Guitar Hero 1 and 2.

That's a good idea - what about some songs from Glee?! In particular Don't Stop Believing was very popular again - though I don't know if it charted anywhere, I wasn't specifically looking at what the charts were doing.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/03/17 at 11:07 am

Here's a list of.. mostly Hip Hop released during the peak 2000s.

J Kwon - Tipsy
Ashanti - Only You
Ja Rule - Wonderful ft. R Kelly, Ashanti
Ciara - One 2 Step ft. Missy Elliott
Fat Joe - Lean Back
Eminem - Like Toy Soldiers
50 Cent - Candy Shop ft. Olivia
50 Cent - Just A Lil Bit
50 Cent - Window Shopper
Young Jeezy - I luv It
Mary J. Blige - Just Fine
J Holiday - Bed
T.I - Big Things Poppin'
T.I - Whatever You Like
T.I - Live Your Life ft. Rihanna

If you already have these added, my bad. I'm too lazy to really get into it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/03/17 at 11:31 am

* "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dog  8-P

I see that you don't really like Hip-Hop & R&B at all.

Or am I wrong?

Written By: Howard on 09/03/17 at 2:54 pm

I thought that was sung by Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons? ???

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/03/17 at 3:35 pm

I thought that was sung by Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons? ???

Nope. It's defintly Fergie.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/03/17 at 4:27 pm

Frankie Valli does have a song named Big Girls Don't Cry though, confirmed by my wife asking me when I mentioned it, "Oh, by Frankie Valli?"

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/03/17 at 4:32 pm

Frankie Valli does have a song named Big Girls Don't Cry though, confirmed by my wife asking me when I mentioned it, "Oh, by Frankie Valli?"

Yes. However, besides the name...there is NO connection between the Fergie song and the Frankie Valli song.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/03/17 at 5:52 pm

It was fairly obvious that wasn't the song though considering this is a thread on 2000's song, and that song is from 1962! :P

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/04/17 at 12:02 am

D'oh alright, you guys. A little levity never hurt anybody.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/04/17 at 7:35 am

That's a good idea - what about some songs from Glee?! In particular Don't Stop Believing was very popular again - though I don't know if it charted anywhere, I wasn't specifically looking at what the charts were doing.

I've added High School Musical, but it looks like Glee! started in 2009, which means I'll be putting that into my other playlist, which I thought I had finished (I'll debut it later today probably).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/04/17 at 8:05 am

I see that you don't really like Hip-Hop & R&B at all.

Or am I wrong?

Nope, you're right. I'm not a fan of hip-hop and R&B, but the hip-hop that was popular in the Mid 2000s was downright awful IMO. Although, the Mid 2000s were a pretty ordinary time for music in general. That's my opinion, anyway.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/17 at 2:40 pm

Yes. However, besides the name...there is NO connection between the Fergie song and the Frankie Valli song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agrXgrAgQ0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yvnqHmFds

Written By: karen on 09/04/17 at 3:28 pm

I've added High School Musical, but it looks like Glee! started in 2009, which means I'll be putting that into my other playlist, which I thought I had finished (I'll debut it later today probably).

I wasn't sure what year Glee started, just that it must have been round about then as I lived in the US from 2007 to 2010 and remembered singing Don't Stop Believing with a group of Girl Scouts.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/17 at 4:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agrXgrAgQ0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yvnqHmFds

Um....OK. You proved my comment...nothing I said was proved wrong.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/04/17 at 8:33 pm

I wasn't sure what year Glee started, just that it must have been round about then as I lived in the US from 2007 to 2010 and remembered singing Don't Stop Believing with a group of Girl Scouts.

Haha yeah I understand. I'm glad to have your input though.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/06/17 at 8:11 am

I think it's finished. Check it out! In addition to all of your suggestions, I added a couple of songs to stand for Guitar Hero II, which I would argue is when the GH craze really took off. Also Coheed & Cambria and Portugal the Man, which I can't believe I forgot.

Thanks everyone for your help. Now it's up and free for all to enjoy. Of course, if you still see stuff that's missing, particularly major songs or artists, please don't hesitate to post in this thread or let me know! I will be extremely grateful.

Check for new replies or respond here...