inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your Thoughts on Nu-Metal?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/27/17 at 9:03 am

I think Nu-Metal gets a bit of a bad wrap, to be honest. Fred Durst wasn't the be all and end all for the genre. Most of the bands had actual talent and produced good material. System of a Down and Linkin Park are two of my favourite bands, although I personally don't believe that S.O.A.D were/are a Nu-Metal band. Korn are pretty good too. "Freak on a Leash" would have to be one of my favourite songs of theirs.

While I admit that Nu-Metal isn't one of the best movements to have come out of rock, I believe the genre deserves a lot more recognition and appreciation than what it receives. What are your thoughts on the genre?

Subject: Re: Your Thoughts on Nu-Metal?

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/27/17 at 9:25 am

It's funny you mention this; I used to be a HUGE nu-metal head. Linkin Park was my first "favorite" band ever, and I credit them for beginning my serious interest in music.

However, my opinion of nu-metal overall has soured since then. I guess I realized despite exploring all sorts of bands like Evanescence, lostprophets, Disturbed, SOAD, Sevendust, Nonpoint, etc., that Linkin Park is the only one for which I have enduring love. I think part of that is their constant efforts to adapt, whereas 17 years later Sevendust and Disturbed are doing the same damn things they were always doing.

And honestly, that's important because nu-metal sounds really dated now, and much too angry for the cultural mood right now. It only really sort of fit during the late 90s/early 00s.

Written By: wixness on 09/27/17 at 1:08 pm

Some parts of it in the 2010s could have helped to keep rock alive I guess, IDK.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/27/17 at 6:49 pm

I still hate nu metal just as much as I did in 1999. :P

I've seen countless nu metal bands live and I've heard so many albums in full but I've never, ever been able to enjoy it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/27/17 at 7:15 pm

I still hate nu metal just as much as I did in 1999. :P

I've seen countless nu metal bands live and I've heard so many albums in full but I've never, ever been able to enjoy it.

That's fair enough. Each to their own! :)

I guess i'm a bit bias when it comes to Nu-Metal, because Linkin Park were the first band I ever liked and saw in concert. My parents also like Korn and System of a Down (my Dad also likes Slipknot), so I was exposed to those bands when I was growing up as well.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/29/17 at 7:25 pm

I think Nu-Metal gets a bit of a bad wrap, to be honest. Fred Durst wasn't the be all and end all for the genre. Most of the bands had actual talent and produced good material. System of a Down and Linkin Park are two of my favourite bands, although I personally don't believe that S.O.A.D were/are a Nu-Metal band. Korn are pretty good too. "Freak on a Leash" would have to be one of my favourite songs of theirs.

While I admit that Nu-Metal isn't one of the best movements to have come out of rock, I believe the genre deserves a lot more recognition and appreciation than what it receives. What are your thoughts on the genre?

They seriously need to stop saying Fred Durst was a metal musician. He was a glorified rapper. Nu metal is just another word for a fusion genre with heavy metal as it's base. Better examples would be Musrhoomhead, Slipknot, Static X, Factory 81, Blue Felix, Ill Nino, Sevendust, etc. I don't get the hate for metalcore either, there are plenty of good bands in that genre too. I swear the only reason people rag on this stuff is because it became mainstream.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/30/17 at 8:51 am

They seriously need to stop saying Fred Durst was a metal musician. He was a glorified rapper. Nu metal is just another word for a fusion genre with heavy metal as it's base. Better examples would be Musrhoomhead, Slipknot, Static X, Factory 81, Blue Felix, Ill Nino, Sevendust, etc. I don't get the hate for metalcore either, there are plenty of good bands in that genre too. I swear the only reason people rag on this stuff is because it became mainstream.

Static-X are good, although I've always considered them to be industrial metal. "Push It" would have to be my favourite song of theirs. I've heard of Slipknot and Sevendust, however i'm not familiar with their music.

I think the main reason why many people disliked the genre, is simply because of the public image it had. Limp Bizkit didn't do the genre any wonders. Had they not been such a prominent act within the genre, i'd say that Nu-Metal would have had much more credibility and appreciation.

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/30/17 at 3:07 pm

If it helps, here is the song that initially made me fall in love with Sevendust:

SGUflZS7jG0

God, I can't believe how long it's been since I heard this song for the first time. That was back in 2004, and even then this was an older song (album was 1999).

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/01/17 at 1:11 am

That's fair enough. Each to their own! :)

I guess i'm a bit bias when it comes to Nu-Metal, because Linkin Park were the first band I ever liked and saw in concert. My parents also like Korn and System of a Down (my Dad also likes Slipknot), so I was exposed to those bands when I was growing up as well.

In 1999, I was super into pop punk and always got into fights with nu metal kids. :P I remember making fun of their dads and telling them that Fred Durst is worse than NSYNC. Good times. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...