inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are there barely any 00's cartoons on Netflix?

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/06/17 at 6:25 pm

Seriously! Winx Club, Wakfu, Johnny Test, The Clone Wars and Huntik are like, all they have available. No Danny Phantom, Avatar, Oban Star Racers, Digata Defenders, El Tigre, Code Lyoko, W.I.T.C.H or any other popular cartoon at the time.

It's sad seeing youtube cartoon enthusiasts recommend shows to the newer generation to watch, and Netflix cannot pick up the slack and deliver these shows for viewing. It's it a rights/ownership issue?

Subject: Re: Why are there barely any 00's cartoons on Netflix?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 6:46 pm

I think so because I was on Netflix several months back to see what on was on there, and I couldn't even find most of those cartoons or the 90s ones either. It's also why you can't find many cartoons on Youtube at all due to the same issue. Hopefully, the whole copyright gets solved, so all those cartoons can be available on both Youtube and Netflix.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/06/17 at 6:57 pm

They have to get permission to have certain cartoons and Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon obviously don't want to give them permission.

Both CN and Nick already have apps and other services where you can watch their shows even older ones.

Written By: 2001 on 10/06/17 at 10:05 pm

I saw a few early 2000s ones like Courage The Cowardly Dog, Spongebob, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 10:20 pm

I saw a few early 2000s ones like Courage The Cowardly Dog, Spongebob, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokémon.
How long ago? I searched for those shows, they were nowhere to be found (except for Spongebob). 

Written By: 2001 on 10/06/17 at 10:39 pm

How long ago? I searched for those shows, they were nowhere to be found (except for Spongebob).

They're on Canadian Netflix, I think.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/17 at 10:47 pm

They're on Canadian Netflix, I think.
Oh. Now I see. For some reason, they're not available on the American Netflix, but I think that has to do with the copyrights of these shows.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/07/17 at 12:12 pm

Cause those shows suck..... :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/07/17 at 1:58 pm

Danny Phantom, Avatar: The Last Airbender and El Tigre do NOT suck. The rest of them do suck though (except for W.I.T.C.H. but I didn't watch it) :-X.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/17 at 2:50 pm

Which cartoons are you referring to? ???

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/10/17 at 11:02 am

Danny Phantom, Avatar: The Last Airbender and El Tigre do NOT suck. The rest of them do suck though (except for W.I.T.C.H. but I didn't watch it) :-X.

Never seen crappy shows with 7.5-8.0 ratings before.  But I guess in an age where Steven Universe is popular, it's possible. :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 11:22 am

Never seen crappy shows with an 7.5-8 ratings before.  But I guess in an age where Steven Universe is popular, it's possible. :-X

What's that supposed to mean? :-X

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/10/17 at 11:35 am

The ones the OP mentioned weren't that memorable though. Now if he were to mention the shows you mentioned then I'd agree

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/10/17 at 11:37 am

The ones the OP mentioned weren't that memorable though. Now if he were to mention the shows you mentioned then I'd agree

Not to people who never watched them in their entirety. But to thousands of others, they were brilliant shows.
The writing in these shows was phenomenal, the characters were memorable and the plot was engaging in ways modern cartoons cannot compare. Code Lyoko, W.I.T.C.H, Digata Defenders and Oban Star Racers all have huge followings for a reason.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/10/17 at 11:45 am

I'll give you Danny Phantom, Avatar, El Tigre, & Code Lyoko, but the rest that you mentioned were either very forgettable or just not that good.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/10/17 at 11:47 am

I'll give you Danny Phantom, Avatar, El Tigre, & Code Lyoko, but the rest that you mentioned were either very forgettable or just not that good.

OK, that's your opinion. I hold the same opinion for Adventure Time, Star vs the forces of evil and SU.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 12:16 pm

I agree.

OK, that's your opinion. I hold the same opinion for Adventure Time, Star vs the forces of evil and SU.

I agree with you as well.

Adventure Time came out at the end of my 5th grade year and I have never been a fan of it. I found it to be just "OK". However, a lot of people LOVE it.

I've never watched Star vs. The Forces of Evil but I've seen clips of it...it seems just "meh".

Steven Universe is an extremely overhyped show in my opinion :-X.

Written By: wixness on 10/10/17 at 4:58 pm

Seriously! Winx Club, Wakfu, Johnny Test, The Clone Wars and Huntik are like, all they have available. No Danny Phantom, Avatar, Oban Star Racers, Digata Defenders, El Tigre, Code Lyoko, W.I.T.C.H or any other popular cartoon at the time.

It's sad seeing youtube cartoon enthusiasts recommend shows to the newer generation to watch, and Netflix cannot pick up the slack and deliver these shows for viewing. It's it a rights/ownership issue?

Not any more, and only the first two seasons of Winx Club. There's also World of Winx if you're interested which came out 2016-2017 (split both seasons into both of those years) - I spent free Netflix watching the first season.
And yes I would like W.I.T.C.H. back, and The Clone Wars (someone on Discord complained how it got taken down from him before he got to finish it). Pure 2000s aesthetic. Huntik looks cool though.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/10/17 at 11:43 pm

And Oban Star Racers second season may be in the works.
fKevYNFvGn8
That's quite a lot of support for a show that apparently "sucks".

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/11/17 at 9:14 am

Part of it also has to do with the 00's aren't quite old enough to be seen as retro (except for the '90s holdovers into the early '00s). Most of the target audience is either in high school, college, or just out of it meaning that they are still getting a hold into the adolescent/adult life and would like to forgo the "kid things" until they've settled down like today's 30-somethings are with their '90s shows, not to mention that the licensing costs seem to get more expensive as time goes on. I got a big nostalgia kick for TMNT and some early '90s Disney Afternoon shows in the early '10s after I had started to settle down, while watching the new series, even though it obviously never had the same magic when I was a kid, and I had never watched an episode of the 2003 version when first-run, though I did catch a rerun of Turtles Forever around 2010. Even Boomerang doesn't show much prior to 2006 or so, and the animation feels quite dated from that decade for many shows, with the awkard computerized 2D style or cheesy early 3D animation compared to the celluloids that dominated much of the 20th century. I myself never watched many since I was in high school, college, and just starting a new job as the decade wound down, so cartoons weren't cool for me during that decade, especially since they recycle many plots for a new generation of kids, with a few exceptions in the "good" shows like Avatar, and Kim: Possible. When we move into the 2020s, this will likely change to a degree, but I still see the '00s nostalgia wave for cartoons weaker than the '80s and '90s ones due to less quality product.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/11/17 at 11:51 am

Part of it also has to do with the 00's are quite old enough to be seen as retro (except for the '90s holdovers into the early '00s). Most of the target audience is either in high school, college, or just out of it meaning that they are still getting a hold into the adolescent/adult life and would like to forgo the "kid things" until they've settled down like today's 30-somethings are with their '90s shows, not to mention that the licensing costs seem to get more expensive as time goes on. I got a big nostalgia kick for TMNT and some early '90s Disney Afternoon shows in the early '10s after I had started to settle down, while watching the new series, even though it obviously never had the same magic when I was a kid, and I had never watched an episode of the 2003 version when first-run, though I did catch a rerun of Turtles Forever around 2010. Even Boomerang doesn't show much prior to 2006 or so, and the animation feels quite dated from that decade for many shows, with the awkward computerized 2D style or cheesy early 3D animation compared to the celluloid that dominated much of the 20th century. I myself never watched many since I was in high school, college, and just starting a new job as the decade wound down, so cartoons weren't cool for me during that decade, especially since they recycle many plots for a new generation of kids, with a few exceptions in the "good" shows like Avatar, and Kim: Possible. When we move into the 2020s, this will likely change to a degree, but I still see the '00s nostalgia wave for cartoons weaker than the '80s and '90s ones due to less quality product.
Oh yeah, it does. I watched some of the shows from that time a few years ago, and I couldn't believe how dated they were, and how horrible the animation was in some of the shows. That has to do with that fact most of the 2D shows were made with flash animation is which definitely makes it a little old looking.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/11/17 at 12:28 pm

It really is interesting when you look at it. I would definitely like to see The Life and Times of Juniper Lee, Megas XLR and Jackie Chan Adventures for example. I'm just so worn out of the previous decade.

Give me more 2000s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/11/17 at 12:55 pm

It really is interesting when you look at it. I would definitely like to see The Life and Times of Juniper Lee, Megas XLR and Jackie Chan Adventures for example. I'm just so worn out of the previous decade.

Give me more 2000s.

Those 2 cartoons were AWESOME!

Juniper Lee was decent.

However, Megas XLR can never appear on TV again (or any other form) because of legal reasons.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/11/17 at 1:33 pm

Part of it also has to do with the 00's are quite old enough to be seen as retro (except for the '90s holdovers into the early '00s). Most of the target audience is either in high school, college, or just out of it meaning that they are still getting a hold into the adolescent/adult life and would like to forgo the "kid things" until they've settled down like today's 30-somethings are with their '90s shows, not to mention that the licensing costs seem to get more expensive as time goes on. I got a big nostalgia kick for TMNT and some early '90s Disney Afternoon shows in the early '10s after I had started to settle down, while watching the new series, even though it obviously never had the same magic when I was a kid, and I had never watched an episode of the 2003 version when first-run, though I did catch a rerun of Turtles Forever around 2010. Even Boomerang doesn't show much prior to 2006 or so, and the animation feels quite dated from that decade for many shows, with the awkard computerized 2D style or cheesy early 3D animation compared to the celluloids that dominated much of the 20th century. I myself never watched many since I was in high school, college, and just starting a new job as the decade wound down, so cartoons weren't cool for me during that decade, especially since they recycle many plots for a new generation of kids, with a few exceptions in the "good" shows like Avatar, and Kim: Possible. When we move into the 2020s, this will likely change to a degree, but I still see the '00s nostalgia wave for cartoons weaker than the '80s and '90s ones due to less quality product.

Most shows in those days still had some great animation. Digata Defenders in its later episodes, W.I.T.C.H, Wakfu, Phineas n Ferb, Oban, Huntik, Martin Mystery and Code Lyoko still look good to this day. While shows like Rugrats and Doug do not.

I prefer 00's cartoon storytelling to 90s or modern cartoons anyways. Where was the plot for W.I.T.C.H or Oban recycled from? Having somethings in common with sailor moon or star wars does not constitute recycling. The 90s was the king of recycling plots.

Check for new replies or respond here...