inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Toonami Thread

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/08/17 at 4:18 pm

QmBZFNdXMME

xm1nkyoWU1A

mJwP3iaytMQ

4X1EsxqGJsA

The original Toonami (1997-2008) was apart of the childhoods of many '90s & '00s kids. It introduced millions of kids in the U.S. to anime and it also showed many badass Western action cartoons.

Share your memories of Toonami.

Subject: Re: The Toonami Thread

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/09/17 at 5:29 am

I was introduced to Toonami during the 2.0 era, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I lived for the game reviews. Oh, and Zoids.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/09/17 at 10:05 am

I was introduced to Toonami during the 2.0 era, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I lived for the game reviews. Oh, and Zoids.

I started watching Toonami around 2003. It introduced me to anime and some other badass cartoons.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/09/17 at 10:24 pm

Bump. Surprised more people like ZeldaFan20 and Zelek3 haven't participated in this thread.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/10/17 at 8:25 am

Probably the first time I watched Toonami was during the later part of 1997. We had just gotten Cartoon Network on cable a few months before, and Toonami itself had not long debuted. Back during the Moltar days, Toonami was not a big deal to me. At that time I was still mostly watching Nick and Fox Kids.

Of course, that all changed when Toonami added Dragon Ball Z during late 1998. We had just started 6th grade and a buddy told me about this awesome new anime show that I should check out. They were getting to the fight against the Sayians, and I loved it after the first episode I watched.

For the first half of 1999, I still mostly watched Toonami for Dragon Ball Z, but after watching ReBoot, that show became another favorite. I also liked Sailor Moon. For the rest of 1999, Cartoon Network started to become my favorite channel, as Nick seemed to be getting stale. As a 12 year old, the action cartoons on Cartoon Network just seemed more mature than what Nick was showing.

No doubt that 2000 was the peak year of Toonami. With Dragon Ball Z, Tenchi, Outlaw Star and everything else, that was appointment viewing for every middle school kid. We would watch every day after school, then talk about then talk about the shows at lunch.

The first half of 2001 was still big for Toonami for me. But, after I started high school later that year, I started watching less. I was beginning to get to that stage where I thought I was too old to watch cartoons, and that other kids would call me a geek if they knew I still liked Toonami.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/10/17 at 9:06 am

Great idea for a thread topic ReignMan! Yeah TOONAMI was the sh!t back in the late 90’s-early-Mid 2000’s. I started watching it regularly in 2001, in which by that point my family had cable in the entire household.

So many classics like DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Sailor Moon, Justice League, He Man, Ruroni Kenshin, Naruto, etc.

It was the block that introduced me to much of anime and action cartoons in general and that in itself will always hold a special place in my heart.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/10/17 at 9:08 am

Also my favorite TOM Eras were probably the TOM 2 & TOM 3 eras. In particular I really loved the 2002-2003, 2003-2004 and 2005-2005 TOM seasons.

2002-03’ & 2003-04’ had the best (IMO) weekday afternoon lineups on the block’s history. 2005-06’ had the best Saturday evening lineup on the block’s history.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/10/17 at 9:37 am

Don't forget original Dragon Ball. I dare say I prefer it to DBZ.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 9:48 am

Don't forget original Dragon Ball. I dare say I prefer it to DBZ.

I don't think that I ever saw the original Dragon Ball.

All I know is that Dragon Ball Z was the sh*t! 8)

I did watch an episode of Dragon Ball Super and it did bring back some childhood memories.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 9:50 am

Probably the first time I watched Toonami was during the later part of 1997. We had just gotten Cartoon Network on cable a few months before, and Toonami itself had not long debuted. Back during the Moltar days, Toonami was not a big deal to me. At that time I was still mostly watching Nick and Fox Kids.

Of course, that all changed when Toonami added Dragon Ball Z during late 1998. We had just started 6th grade and a buddy told me about this awesome new anime show that I should check out. They were getting to the fight against the Sayians, and I loved it after the first episode I watched.

For the first half of 1999, I still mostly watched Toonami for Dragon Ball Z, but after watching ReBoot, that show became another favorite. I also liked Sailor Moon. For the rest of 1999, Cartoon Network started to become my favorite channel, as Nick seemed to be getting stale. As a 12 year old, the action cartoons on Cartoon Network just seemed more mature than what Nick was showing.

No doubt that 2000 was the peak year of Toonami. With Dragon Ball Z, Tenchi, Outlaw Star and everything else, that was appointment viewing for every middle school kid. We would watch every day after school, then talk about then talk about the shows at lunch.

The first half of 2001 was still big for Toonami for me. But, after I started high school later that year, I started watching less. I was beginning to get to that stage where I thought I was too old to watch cartoons, and that other kids would call me a geek if they knew I still liked Toonami.

Awesome. I do wish that I got to see Toonami during the Moltar days.

RIP C. Martin Croker (the voice of Moltar), 1962-2016 :\'(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 9:56 am

Great idea for a thread topic ReignMan! Yeah TOONAMI was the sh!t back in the late 90’s-early-Mid 2000’s.

Thanks! Also, you're damn right! 8)

I started watching it regularly in 2001, in which by that point my family had cable in
the entire household.

So many classics like DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Sailor Moon, Justice League, He Man, Ruroni Kenshin, Naruto, etc.

It was the block that introduced me to much of anime and action cartoons in general and that in itself will always hold a special place in my heart.

YESSSS!!!! Toonami aired some awesome shows like ones I highlighted.

The current Toonami is experiencing a ratings decline and I think that they need to incorporate more Western action shows in order to boost their ratings. Also, add more classic anime.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/10/17 at 1:31 pm

I don't think that I ever saw the original Dragon Ball.

All I know is that Dragon Ball Z was the sh*t! 8)

I did watch an episode of Dragon Ball Super and it did bring back some childhood memories.

Ohhhh man I love Dragon Ball! The world building is amazing, the characters are hilarious, and it's not all grimdark at all. To the contrary, the mood is so positive and exciting like...Adventure Time if it were an anime show!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 1:43 pm

Ohhhh man I love Dragon Ball! The world building is amazing, the characters are hilarious, and it's not all grimdark at all. To the contrary, the mood is so positive and exciting like...Adventure Time if it were an anime show!

Well, I was never a big fan of AT but Dragon Ball sounds OK.

Written By: LooseBolt on 10/10/17 at 5:38 pm

The other thing I like about Dragon Ball (and AT too, really) is that it's a kitchen sink fantasy world; anything goes. Vampires and robots. I love stories that do that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/10/17 at 9:52 pm

Great topic Reignman! :).

I began watching the block around the end of 1998 I think, and that's how I was introduced to more anime (The only one I knew about before was Pokemon). I remember watching everything on there especially DBZ which was the bomb! I agree with Machine that 2000 was truly the peak. It can't get any better than that. A weekday block followed with a midnight line-up later on? Count me in! I continued to watch Toonami until 2005 because by then, I don't remember the block being as shown as much anymore.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 10:37 pm

Great topic Reignman! :).

Thanks! :)

I began watching the block around the end of 1998 I think, and that's how I was introduced to more anime (The only one I knew about before was Pokemon). I remember watching everything on there especially DBZ which was the bomb! I agree with Machine that 2000 was truly the peak. It can't get any better than that. A weekday block followed with a midnight line-up later on? Count me in! I continued to watch Toonami until 2005 because by then, I don't remember the block being as shown as much anymore.

Yep. That's the common theme. Toonami introduced most of us to anime...especially DBZ.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/10/17 at 11:16 pm

Thanks! :)
Yep. That's the common theme. Toonami introduced most of us to anime...especially DBZ.
You're welcome!

Yeah, it sure did.

Check for new replies or respond here...