inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stop posting in this thread

Written By: John Titor on 10/09/17 at 9:13 pm

A part of me is starting to slowly realize the 2000s were originally suppose to end in 2006. Obviously they did not, but take a few things to consider.

- Justin Timberlakes Future Sex Love sounds/ Nellys Timbaland produced albums really signaled a shift for urban pop.
- The Rescession was just 1 and a half year away, Could you imagine how fast the vibe would change had the Recession came faster?
- Facebook DEBUTS to people without college E-mails in August 2006 , However it took about 8 months for the site to catch on.
- PS3 and Wii debuted kicking off the next gen of gaming
-The WB and UPN end , and THE CW takes it place.
- Disney channel starts a new era,  High school musical etc.
-Malcolm in the middle & That 70s show ends.

Youtube gets SUPER popular in the fall of 2006

So what I am saying is these changes were very slow and gradual, but they could have been faster, Had they been faster  I think the core 2000's would not have lasted till mid 2008, It would have been gone even sooner.

To be honest I kind of got a feeling that the core 2000's were suppose to be over, but they were not, but it felt like it should have.

Subject: Re: 2006 was suppose to be THE Original END of the core 2000's

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/09/17 at 9:24 pm

I'm sorry, but does it honestly matter? We have had similar threads like this recently and plenty of people have voiced their opinion that 2007 (and even 2008) is core 2000's. Also, a pop culture isn't supposed to end at any time. A pop culture era doesn't just end like that. You can't just draw a line and say, "31st December will be the end of the core 2000's". That's not how it works.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/09/17 at 9:33 pm

I'm sorry, but does it honestly matter? We have had similar threads like this recently and plenty of people have voiced their opinion that 2007 (and even 2008) is core 2000's. Also, a pop culture isn't supposed to end at any time. A pop culture era doesn't just end like that. You can't just draw a line and say, "31st December will be the end of the core 2000's". That's not how it works.

Couldn't agree more. Like if somebody says 2008 is core 2000s I don't even care anymore lol

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/09/17 at 9:33 pm

Not this topic again......

Written By: prodanny288 on 10/09/17 at 9:41 pm

Oh, boy.. It’s these threads again..

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/09/17 at 10:22 pm

PLEASE. STOP. WITH. THESE. THREADS.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/10/17 at 4:50 pm

High School Musical is very '00s.  There isn't much that is '10s about it.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/10/17 at 4:55 pm

High School Musical is very '00s.  There isn't much that is '10s about it.

I agree. People think any shows or movies released 2006+ = 2010s somehow  ???

Written By: bchris02 on 10/10/17 at 5:56 pm

Yeah, it's starting to get old.  There is one poster in particular who insists that there is virtually no difference between the second half of 2008 and 2017 and has to inject that opinion into every thread.  I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe in Canada, emo/scene, MySpace, glam rap, post-grunge, etc died sooner than in the US and maybe EDM/electropop and hipster culture was more all-encompassing a few years sooner in Canada than in the US.  I am considering taking a lengthy break from this site.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/10/17 at 6:10 pm

Wtf 2006 is like one of the peak 2000s years lmaoo

Written By: 2001 on 10/10/17 at 6:15 pm

Yeah, it's starting to get old.  There is one poster in particular who insists that there is virtually no difference between the second half of 2008 and 2017 and has to inject that opinion into every thread.  I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe in Canada, emo/scene, MySpace, glam rap, post-grunge, etc died sooner than in the US and maybe EDM/electropop and hipster culture was more all-encompassing a few years sooner in Canada than in the US.  I am considering taking a lengthy break from this site.

Nooo, don't leave.  :(

There was still emo, post-grunge and ringtone rape in early 2009 in Canada, but towards the end it was gone.

Myspace died in early 2007 though. We were an MSN country, not a Myspace country. I didn't know what scene was till I joined this site lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/10/17 at 11:22 pm

2006 is not 2010s but not classic '00s either.

Wtf 2006 is like one of the peak 2000s years lmaoo

No it isn't.

A part of me is starting to slowly realize the 2000s were originally suppose to end in 2006. Obviously they did not, but take a few things to consider.

- Justin Timberlakes Future Sex Love sounds/ Nellys Timbaland produced albums really signaled a shift for urban pop.
- The Rescession was just 1 and a half year away, Could you imagine how fast the vibe would change had the Recession came faster?
- Facebook DEBUTS to people without college E-mails in August 2006 , However it took about 8 months for the site to catch on.

So what I am saying is these changes were very slow and gradual, but they could have been faster, Had they been faster  I think the core 2000's would not have lasted till mid 2008, It would have been gone even sooner.

To be honest I kind of got a feeling that the core 2000's were suppose to be over, but they were not, but it felt like it should have.

The classic core 2000s did end in 2006. 2007 and the first half of 2008 were cultural 2000s year, but not core like 2000 - 2005 imo.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/10/17 at 11:23 pm

Taking a break just because someone has a different opinion from you?  ??? Ok. I find it very odd people get stressed out on this site to the point they need to leave just because I share a differing opinion from you in relevant threads. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone has to agree with you. Also not totally the same, but same era. I have every right to make that statement in RELEVANT threads in that discussion when people are talking about it. I'm not injecting anything or being rude to you, just sharing my opinion as culture is all about opinions and perspectives. I said this before and I'll say it again, the only thing on this site everyone has to agree on is the 2000s started on January 1st 2000 and ended on December 31, 2009 and I try to use this on threads about the decade (that have nothing to do with decadology) as much as possible to remain unbiased and objective. I think everyone should do this to be honest. It avoid confusion and useless debates and talks about the real decade and things that happened from then. But either way, I definitely stand by my statement and opinons we are in the same era since late 2008 when we are discussing that topic.

Written By: Escondudo on 10/11/17 at 1:21 pm

But the core 2000s DID end in 2006. The concept of the "Late 2006 Shift" is a recurring theme on this website.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/11/17 at 1:25 pm

Nooo, don't leave.  :(

There was still emo, post-grunge and ringtone rape in early 2009 in Canada, but towards the end it was gone.

Myspace died in early 2007 though. We were an MSN country, not a Myspace country. I didn't know what scene was till I joined this site lol.

Written By: John Titor on 10/11/17 at 3:56 pm

But the core 2000s DID end in 2006. The concept of the "Late 2006 Shift" is a recurring theme on this website.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/11/17 at 8:39 pm

There was also a very specific shift in June 2007, for that was when Wayside premiered on television, thus signifying we had entered a whole new era for cartoons. In addition to that, music started to get more electropoppy. Also the iPhone was released so suddenly smartphone culture took over. It was totally clear by that point we were entering the 2010s lol.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/11/17 at 9:03 pm

There was also a very specific shift in June 2007, for that was when Wayside premiered on television, thus signifying we had entered a whole new era for cartoons. In addition to that, music started to get more electropoppy. Also the iPhone was released so suddenly smartphone culture took over. It was totally clear by that point we were entering the 2010s lol.

Wayside? I have vague memories of that show. If you haven't mentioned it I wouldn't forgotten about it till the end of time.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/11/17 at 9:06 pm

Wayside? I have vague memories of that show. If you haven't mentioned it I wouldn't forgotten about it till the end of time.

We were solidly in the core 2000s era until that show began airing on television and changed everything.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/11/17 at 9:49 pm

That's because a few certain users have exaggerated the shift that took place in that year. It wasn't really that big.

There was also a very specific shift in June 2007, for that was when Wayside premiered on television, thus signifying we had entered a whole new era for cartoons. In addition to that, music started to get more electro-poppy. Also, the iPhone was released so suddenly smartphone culture took over. It was totally clear by that point we were entering the 2010s lol.

We were solidly in the core 2000s era until that show began airing on television and changed everything.
Your post is telling that me that you're making a mockery of those who think 2008 was the start of the cultural 10s. ;D. Am I right?

Written By: #Infinity on 10/11/17 at 10:01 pm

Your post is telling that me that you're making a mockery of those who think 2008 was the start of the cultural 10s. ;D. Am I right?

Just the idea that you can argue there being a major cultural shift for just about any small stretch of time. It all just matters what factors weigh in most for you personally.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/11/17 at 10:19 pm

Just the idea that you can argue there is a major cultural shift for just about any small stretch of time. It all just matters what factors weigh in most for you personally.
Pretty much. It seems a lot of folks here are looking at change from a personal viewpoint rather than a general POV which is why I have noticed certain aspects are left out and the ones that are mentioned are not detailed enough.

I mean, just look how many people mention technology as one of the changes. The only thing I see referenced is cell phones. There's nothing about digital cameras, iPods/MP3s/CD players, desktops, DVDs or even broadband. It seems these things are forgotten by most people when they were clearly relevant in the late 00s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/11/17 at 11:22 pm

Pretty much. It seems a lot of folks here are looking at change from a personal viewpoint rather than a general POV which is why I have noticed certain aspects are left out and the ones that are mentioned are not detailed enough.

I mean, just look how many people mention technology as one of the changes. The only thing I see referenced is cell phones. There's nothing about digital cameras, iPods/MP3s/CD players, desktops, DVDs or even broadband. It seems these things are forgotten by most people when they were clearly relevant in the late 00s.

Exactly!

Written By: John Titor on 10/18/17 at 4:32 pm

I feel you, I feel like you know the late 2006 shift was suppose to be the end of the era, and it was weird you know? Like it did not happen, and for the most part the rest of 2006 and early 2007 felt like the 2000's, and then we got more into 2007 and everything pretty much was gone.

Late 2006 was this weird limbo, because we were gearing up for a new era and it did not happen.

And by the time 2008 was here, we were ready for the new decade

Written By: Fearsword on 10/18/17 at 10:46 pm

This thread's pretty pointless lol

Written By: #Infinity on 10/19/17 at 11:19 am

I feel you, I feel like you know the late 2006 shift was suppose to be the end of the era, and it was weird you know? Like it did not happen, and for the most part the rest of 2006 and early 2007 felt like the 2000's, and then we got more into 2007 and everything pretty much was gone.

Oh yes, thanks to the fact that I started high school in June 2007 with a summer school math class, the cultural equilibrium of the day was suddenly threatened, thus ushering in a fresh standard of cultural sensibility and finesse. Without me being enrolled at my high school, the 2006-2007 school year was severely lacking in adolescent basket cases who listened to eurobeat and attended a private school near the Pacific Ocean, thus essentially paralleling its atmosphere to that of 2003-2004, 2004-2005, and 2005-2006 as opposed to 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, and 2010-2011.

It’s also worth noting that Pirate Master came out at the dawn of June 2007, and the groundbreaking impact that revolutionary phenomenon left is still being felt today, for it was only after June 2007 that everyday people could credibly mention, in everyday conversation, that Mark Burnett unsuccessfully attempted to recreate the seventh season of Survivor with a separate series. In late 2006, there was no such thing as a failed reality game show centering around a buccaneer theme, which smelt of the season of Survivor that introduced America to Rupert Boneham and Johnny Fairplay.

Late 2006 was this weird limbo, because we were gearing up for a new era and it did not happen.

It may well have happened if I had started attending my high school a year earlier and if Mark Burnett had procrastinated less over developing Pirate Master. Oh what could have been...

And by the time 2008 was here, we were ready for the new decade

Yep, I was a student at my high school and Pirate Master had been rejected for a second season!

Written By: Fearsword on 10/19/17 at 3:44 pm

This! LOL ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/19/17 at 7:22 pm

https://www.tacomaworld.com/attachments/kill-this-thread-jpg.98591/

Written By: John Titor on 10/19/17 at 7:37 pm

stop de-railing threads

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/19/17 at 11:52 pm

Oh yes, thanks to the fact that I started high school in June 2007 with a summer school math class, the cultural equilibrium of the day was suddenly threatened, thus ushering in a fresh standard of cultural sensibility and finesse. Without me being enrolled at my high school, the 2006-2007 school year was severely lacking in adolescent basket cases who listened to eurobeat and attended a private school near the Pacific Ocean, thus essentially paralleling its atmosphere to that of 2003-2004, 2004-2005, and 2005-2006 as opposed to 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, and 2010-2011.

It’s also worth noting that Pirate Master came out at the dawn of June 2007, and the groundbreaking impact that revolutionary phenomenon left is still being felt today, for it was only after June 2007 that everyday people could credibly mention, in everyday conversation, that Mark Burnett unsuccessfully attempted to recreate the seventh season of Survivor with a separate series. In late 2006, there was no such thing as a failed reality game show centering around a buccaneer theme, which smelt of the season of Survivor that introduced America to Rupert Boneham and Johnny Fairplay.

It may well have happened if I had started attending my high school a year earlier and if Mark Burnett had procrastinated less over developing Pirate Master. Oh what could have been...

Yep, I was a student at my high school and Pirate Master had been rejected for a second season!

I might agree with you but you haven't made nearly enough mentions of childhood cartoons from Cartoon Network for me to fully take in your opinion.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/20/17 at 12:16 am

I might agree with you but you haven't made nearly enough mentions of childhood cartoons from Cartoon Network for me to fully take in your opinion.
I think she was mocking the posts about the 2006 shift.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/20/17 at 2:01 am

Well, it can be argued that Class of 3000's debut on television marked an important shift, for you see, prior to its release, André 3000 made alternative hip hop, but now that he was starring in a children's cartoon, it felt almost like a different world. But the thing is, Chowder still wasn't on television, not to mention The Life and Times of Juniper Lee was still on television. Once June 2007 rolled around, Juniper Lee had ended and it was clear Chowder was gonna come out later that year. May 2007 still felt kinda 2003-ish but June was clearly closer to 2009. That's my defense of June 2007 being the important shift, not late 2006.

Oh, did I mention I was still at a public middle school in late 2006? Due to the butterfly effect, business ran quite differently at Cartoon Network than it would have if I had instead been at my private school and influenced students with connections to Cartoon Network employees.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/23/17 at 8:27 pm

Taking a break just because someone has a different opinion from you?  ??? Ok. I find it very odd people get stressed out on this site to the point they need to leave just because I share a differing opinion from you in relevant threads. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone has to agree with you. Also not totally the same, but same era. I have every right to make that statement in RELEVANT threads in that discussion when people are talking about it. I'm not injecting anything or being rude to you, just sharing my opinion as culture is all about opinions and perspectives. I said this before and I'll say it again, the only thing on this site everyone has to agree on is the 2000s started on January 1st 2000 and ended on December 31, 2009 and I try to use this on threads about the decade (that have nothing to do with decadology) as much as possible to remain unbiased and objective. I think everyone should do this to be honest. It avoid confusion and useless debates and talks about the real decade and things that happened from then. But either way, I definitely stand by my statement and opinons we are in the same era since late 2008 when we are discussing that topic.

Agreed Slim. Although I think 2009 to present has been one BIG era, CULTURALLY. Politically it's a DIFFERENT story. Its's been a VERY VERY consistent decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/24/17 at 1:34 am

Agreed Slim. Although I think 2009 to present has been one BIG era, CULTURALLY. Politically it's a DIFFERENT story. Its's been a VERY VERY consistent decade.

Long time no see! Good to have you back man.  :) Yeah I see it at that as well. Like one big era since late 2008 but we've had smaller eras that were different afterwards as well.

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/02/17 at 4:42 am

Oh and who says they were supposed to end in 2006? Last I checked 2006 was very much a 2000 year.

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/03/17 at 10:11 am

The core 2000’s ended in 2007 B.C with the release of the iStone.

Subject: Re: Stop posting in this thread

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/17 at 3:32 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bN9se-ul_aE/SsfH3bSRbhI/AAAAAAAACAA/HUoMTwFcjh0/s800/graham_chapman_stop_that_silly.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...