inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else doesn't want 2000s nostalgia to become mainstream?

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/18/17 at 10:29 am

I just want 2000s nostalgia to stay occasional and just a post section thing. There's no better charm than running into 2000s nostalgia exclusively.

Subject: Re: Anyone else doesn't want 2000s nostalgia to become mainstream?

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/18/17 at 10:35 am

I actually kind of can’t wait until there is  nostalgia for all parts of the 00s. I experienced the mid-late 2000’s and i got a lot of nostalgia for it

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/17 at 2:09 pm

If 00's nostalgia becomes as bad as 90's nostalgia then I'm fine it not being mainstream. 90's nostalgia went mainstream and look at all the cringy things it brought along. I'm fine with nostalgia just don't push it to the point where it effects mainstream pop culture. This is what causes pop culture to become stagnant and always try to recapture the past and not push for the future.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/18/17 at 2:24 pm

Me.  The '90s have been butchered this decade by the obscene exploitation of nostalgia.  I hope the '00s don't get the same treatment.  Nostalgia here and there can be a good thing, but I don't want it going fully mainstream.

Written By: John Titor on 10/18/17 at 4:00 pm

I just want 2000s nostalgia to stay occasional and just a post section thing. There's no better charm than running into 2000s nostalgia exclusively.

its pretty much gaining major traction now

Written By: Lizardmatum on 10/19/17 at 4:37 pm

I personally can't wait. I think it will be interesting to see how the 2000's will be nostalgic to people.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/19/17 at 5:10 pm

I personally can't wait. I think it will be interesting to see how the 2000's will be nostalgic to people.

Same here.

Written By: 2001 on 10/19/17 at 5:11 pm

I hope it goes something like "Remember the 2000s with Lady Gaga, Xbox 360 and Breaking Bad?" ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 10/19/17 at 5:17 pm

I hope it goes something like "Remember the 2000s with Lady Gaga, Xbox 360 and Breaking Bad?" ;D

Haha.  That reminds me of how many people treat the '90s.  To be fair though, Xbox 360 is legitimately an '00s console.  It came out in 2005 so it was around for half the decade.  Lady Gaga and Breaking Bad were around for the tail end of the '00s but are more associated with the early '10s.

Honestly I think 2000s nostalgia is too focused on 2000-2003.  The early '00s had their strong points like the music and reality TV still being fresh, but I don't see it as this magical era that a lot of people seem to.

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/19/17 at 5:28 pm

Haha.  That reminds me of how many people treat the '90s.  To be fair though, Xbox 360 is legitimately an '00s console.  It came out in 2005 so it was around for half the decade.  Lady Gaga and Breaking Bad were around for the tail end of the '00s but are more associated with the early '10s.

Honestly I think 2000s nostalgia is too focused on 2000-2003.  The early '00s had their strong points like the music and reality TV still being fresh, but I don't see it as this magical era that a lot of people seem to.

That’s probably because the early 2000’s are close to the late 90s and so the earlier part of the decade usually receives nostalgia first. I hope there is mid and late 2000’s nostalgia

Written By: Lizardmatum on 10/20/17 at 5:41 am

Haha nice! Would be a change

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/20/17 at 12:42 pm

If 00's nostalgia becomes as bad as 90's nostalgia then I'm fine it not being mainstream. 90's nostalgia went mainstream and look at all the cringy things it brought along. I'm fine with nostalgia just don't push it to the point where it effects mainstream pop culture. This is what causes pop culture to become stagnant and always try to recapture the past and not push for the future.

I don't see movies from the 2000s getting reboots so there's some hope for me.
Me.  The '90s have been butchered this decade by the obscene exploitation of nostalgia.  I hope the '00s don't get the same treatment.  Nostalgia here and there can be a good thing, but I don't want it going fully mainstream.

Yes yes. Its stressful because, the 2000s are likely to become the new 90s.

I pray the 2000s remains with its charm.

Written By: prodanny288 on 10/20/17 at 6:32 pm

I do wish that 90’s nostalgia will die down already and 2000’s slowly creeping in. But I don’t want annoying kids born in 2009 claiming to be 2000’s kids and trying to fit in.  8-P

Being born in 2002, I would be an younger 2000’s kid. I didn’t fully experience the decade as a whole. However, I remember various things such as the pop culture, TV shows, toys, etc. When I see articles that tell us ONLY 2000’S KIDS WILL REMEMBER, most of the things listed are from the early or mid 2000’s. I do recall lots of the things from the mid 2000’s, but I didn’t sign up for a MySpace when I was three or four. I experienced the 2000’s but not in the same way as a person who was a teenager in the 2000’s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/21/17 at 12:34 pm

I don't see movies from the 2000s getting reboots so there's some hope for me.

Well we already have movies like Finding Dory and the upcoming Incredibles 2. And I REALLY hope we don't see a Harry Potter reboot.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/21/17 at 12:38 pm

I do wish that 90’s nostalgia will die down already and 2000’s slowly creeping in. But I don’t want annoying kids born in 2009 claiming to be 2000’s kids and trying to fit in.  8-P

Being born in 2002, I would be an younger 2000’s kid. I didn’t fully experience the decade as a whole. However, I remember various things such as the pop culture, TV shows, toys, etc. When I see articles that tell us ONLY 2000’S KIDS WILL REMEMBER, most of the things listed are from the early or mid 2000’s. I do recall lots of the things from the mid 2000’s, but I didn’t sign up for a MySpace when I was three or four. I experienced the 2000’s but not in the same way as a person who was a teenager in the 2000’s.

What I find funny is you somewhat described the 90s kid problem. Seeing elitist 90s kids talking about how they experienced the 90s. The kicker is that most of ones I've seen are LATE 90s kids (mainly born from 1990-1992). They experienced the 90s sure, but half the things I see people talking about were about were around while the 1990-1992 born weren't even in their core childhood. I'll see a "90s kid" list, but as someone from 1990 such as myself only really related to 50% or less. And even then the things I've experienced were mainly stuff with 90s kid culture. Meaning out of all of the things that were a part of the 1990s I only really understood about 30-40% of it. Anything that was within mainstream teen or adult culture, politics, or economy were things I didn't understand or look into.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/21/17 at 10:34 pm

Well we already have movies like Finding Dory and the upcoming Incredibles 2. And I REALLY hope we don't see a Harry Potter reboot.

I guess I wouldn't mind a 300 reboot if that make sense. God of War finally adapted into films? The Spartans are apart of 2000s culture to me now.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/22/17 at 2:10 pm

I guess I wouldn't mind a 300 reboot if that make sense. God of War finally adapted into films? The Spartans are apart of 2000s culture to me now.

300 reboot?  It still feels way too recent.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/26/17 at 8:39 pm

300 reboot?  It still feels way too recent.

Nah. 2023 would be the right time for a 300 reboot. Think about it. You barely see movies about the Spartans.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/26/17 at 11:19 pm

I would like for good ideas to come back to mainstream pop culture. So yes, I'd like 00's nostalgia to be mainstream.

Written By: tnf on 10/29/17 at 11:39 pm

I noticed some fashion trends from 20 years ago are back in fashion, simultaneously (at least at H&M). Back then I've already seen the combination of leather pants, brownish (fake) fur coats, leopard prints, glitter/metallic shoes, velvet, and the general subtility of the colors. And the late 90s choker was back already for a while.

I guess it won't take that long before early 00s trends are back. And no, I'm not ready for it. That 1997'ish fashion looks o.k. to me. But I remember the early 00s as a tacky time for fashion (cowboy hats, rhinestones, ultra lowrise jeans, fashion being way too short and tight, etcetera), and +/- 2004 as the downfall of mainstream music. No, I don't want Gwen Stefani like music, Avril Lavigne like music or electroclash to come back.  :-\\

Written By: Slim95 on 10/30/17 at 12:06 am

The 2000s are already nostalgic as hell to me these last few days. Just has such a dreamy vibe now. Even some stuff from the second half of the decade. I was a kid then so this is normal for me but I also think it's because it's really a long time ago now that this is the second presidential term after Bush. I don't care whether it becomes nostalgic mainstream-wise, that decade will always have a place in my heart and I will always miss it and have nostalgia for it. That decade really feels old now to me personally and it hasn't felt this way until recently.

Written By: ofkx on 12/18/17 at 7:16 am

I look forward to seeing it become mainstream. I mean, thats my childhood :\'(. But I doubt it will be as severe and annoying as 90s nostalgia. Also I don't really see any 2000s fashion coming back anytime soon since there wasn't anything really ~iconic~ in it like 90s chokers.

Written By: John Titor on 12/18/17 at 2:16 pm

I look forward to seeing it become mainstream. I mean, thats my childhood :\'(. But I doubt it will be as severe and annoying as 90s nostalgia. Also I don't really see any 2000s fashion coming back anytime soon since there wasn't anything really ~iconic~ in it like 90s chokers.

it already has started coming back

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/18/17 at 3:55 pm

80s nostalgia is more annoying than 90s nostalgia to me. The 80s VHS/neon lights/Japan/Vaporwave/sharp font (that looks kinda like cake frosting to me)/spacing out letters aesthetic and constant 80s references are becoming very overused in pop culture, almost to the point of self-parody. I like the aesthetic though, but it's just very overdone by this point. Almost as overdone as Hollywood productions preaching to you and trying to be moral compasses against "le Drumpf XD" while condescending to you and calling you an inbred hick mongoloid if you voted against Hillary.

Written By: ofkx on 12/19/17 at 4:43 am

80s nostalgia is more annoying than 90s nostalgia to me. The 80s VHS/neon lights/Japan/Vaporwave/sharp font (that looks kinda like cake frosting to me)/spacing out letters aesthetic and constant 80s references are becoming very overused in pop culture, almost to the point of self-parody. I like the aesthetic though, but it's just very overdone by this point. Almost as overdone as Hollywood productions preaching to you and trying to be moral compasses against "le Drumpf XD" while condescending to you and calling you an inbred hick mongoloid if you voted against Hillary.

Umm... what does this have to do with 2000s nostalgia? There’s a place in the forums for political discussions, and this is not it.

Written By: christopher on 12/19/17 at 6:40 am

No one I know really remember the crappy music era (2005-2007) very fondly even though those were supposed to be our best years. My best years as a 1988 born were the 90s, 2001, 2003 and 2012-2014. There are only some nice cars from back then, but anything else from 2005-2007 sucks. I like like just a few songs released back then. Katy Pery's I kissed a girl and Gaga's Poker Face felt like revelation. They showed me "Lol, the future has finally arrived". Best change in pop in my life so far and the only positive one.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/21/17 at 11:53 am

I look forward to seeing it become mainstream. I mean, that's my childhood :\'(. But I doubt it will be as severe and annoying as 90s nostalgia. Also, I don't see any 2000s fashion coming back anytime soon since there wasn't anything ~iconic~ in it like 90s chokers.
It will be mainstream soon. I think it could happen sometime next year since most of the decade is over 10 with some over 15. Oh, and there's already fashion making a return in the spotlight although it's mainly women's clothing so far.

Written By: wixness on 12/21/17 at 1:31 pm

I look forward to seeing it become mainstream. I mean, thats my childhood :\'( . But I doubt it will be as severe and annoying as 90s nostalgia. Also I don't really see any 2000s fashion coming back anytime soon since there wasn't anything really ~iconic~ in it like 90s chokers.

Emo, but it wasn't very well liked.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/21/17 at 3:10 pm

It will be mainstream soon. I think it could happen sometime next year since most of the decade is over 10 with some over 15. Oh, and there's already fashion making a return in the spotlight although it's mainly women's clothing so far.

I think true nostalgia comes after 20 years because that's when a year is retro.

Written By: John Titor on 12/21/17 at 3:23 pm

I would say its uni sex I have seen mens and womens fashion

Written By: ofkx on 12/21/17 at 3:50 pm

Isn't "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them" technically a Harry Potter reboot? It's the same universe.

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/17 at 6:53 pm

There's the Livestrong bracelets that were huge circa 2004-2006.

http://images.gawker.com/182ft022gn02pjpg/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg

And then there were the backpack pins, people had like 30 each from around 2002-2008.

http://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/3hjyx8-l-610x610-bag-arctic+monkeys-buttons-pins-indie+bag-school+bag-tote+bag-soft+grunge-navy-brown.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 12/22/17 at 4:26 am

Lately I've been severely nostalgic for the 2000s. I don't know what's going on but I've been hit with a sudden burst of nostalgia for the 2000s and it could be because everyone is starting to call the decade old now and it's starting to become generally accepted. I was randomly looking up old theme songs from my favourite shows from the 2000s and got really nostalgic when I saw this one:

8Xr6yVFAuLs

It would be really nice to go back to this time. The whole vibe and atmosphere was just so much better than now. I'm gonna go watch some old episodes of RFR now. Then watch some other classics like Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. 8)

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 12/22/17 at 5:49 am

I'll be fine with it, personally. It will finally be a decade I have memories from although the 2010's would be the first decade that I fully remember.

I may not be able to relate to much early 2000s nostalgia, but I definitely will be able to relate with the mid and late 2000's nostalgia :)

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/05/18 at 8:03 am

2000s nostalgia won't become mainstream until 2030 so you have 10 years to indulge in it in an obscure fashion. 90s nostalgia was delayed until very recently (Bruno Mars music video, revivals of old shows on Netflix and elsewhere, Jurassic World, etc.; those "90s kid" posts around the early 2010s were just Internet memes and barely represented larger pop culture nostalgia) and probably won't explode until the 2020s.

Because for some reason pop culture STILL likes to splurge about the 80s in the 2010s (Stranger Things, synth wave, Kung Fury, etc.) even though 80s nostalgia already happened in the 2000s and it used to be a 20 year cycle, but not anymore apparently.

Written By: ofkx on 01/05/18 at 8:43 am

2000s nostalgia won't become mainstream until 2030 so you have 10 years to indulge in it in an obscure fashion. 90s nostalgia was delayed until very recently (Bruno Mars music video, revivals of old shows on Netflix and elsewhere, Jurassic World, etc.; those "90s kid" posts around the early 2010s were just Internet memes and barely represented larger pop culture nostalgia) and probably won't explode until the 2020s.

Because for some reason pop culture STILL likes to splurge about the 80s in the 2010s (Stranger Things, synth wave, Kung Fury, etc.) even though 80s nostalgia already happened in the 2000s and it used to be a 20 year cycle, but not anymore apparently.

I thought 90s nostalgia was huge this decade. It has been literally everywhere since at least 2012. It’s been slowly dying though simce most 90s kids are becoming too old to really have an effect on pop culture.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/05/18 at 10:10 am

The ‘80s revival started in the 2000s. It will die off before 2020. Then, in the 2020s, people will get tired of ‘90s nostalgia and the ‘90s revival will end. That’s how the nostalgia cycle usually goes.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/05/18 at 12:00 pm

I thought 90s nostalgia was huge this decade. It has been literally everywhere since at least 2012. It’s been slowly dying though simce most 90s kids are becoming too old to really have an effect on pop culture.

It was present, but not as big as 1970s and 1980s nostalgia. 1980s nostalgia was still very big this decade while 1990s nostalgia was only still starting and it doesn't feel like it peaked yet.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 01/05/18 at 5:18 pm

There's the Livestrong bracelets that were huge circa 2004-2006.

http://images.gawker.com/182ft022gn02pjpg/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg

They were everywhere in my school! It was like a contest to see who could get the most, and in different designs and colors and things. My school actually ended up banning them!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/18 at 11:50 pm

I would say it's unisex I have seen men and women's fashion
What men's fashion have you seen returned?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/18 at 8:28 am

What men's fashion have you seen returned?
Handlebar moustaches.

Check for new replies or respond here...